Features

William Ifeanyi Moore: Make-up, Makeovers & Surgical Cosmetics

I hit every keystroke with the fear of a cartoonist depicting the Prophet Mohammed as I compose this article. This is because with ‘feminism’ becoming 2015’s buzzword, the male opinion on anything relating to women can easily result in character assassination if one is not careful. So with that being said, ladies, abeg, I no get power. However, if writers avoided every topic that would offend a particular group, then we would never write anything interesting. If at this point you can’t tell some of this might be offensive, then I am being Captain Obvious and letting you know; you might not like what you read here.

Now that we got the attempt at political pacification out the way, let us get to the crux of the matter. In 2015 the illusion of beauty has never been greater. Like make-up isn’t enough to deal with, Instagram had to throw in filters for extra measure. In fact, so strong is the make-up industry that the female equivalent of a guy trying to be a rapper is now a girl trying to be a make-up artist. Am I opposed to the use of make-up?
No, not even a bit. By all means, get out the pancake, eyeliner, eye-shadow and whatever you have in your make-up bag. But are there social consequences for misleading make-up? Yes, most definitely. Stories of men suing their wives for “false advertising” after waking up next to them is often met with a “what the f*ck?” response, but really and truly, aren’t there cases where the men are at least entitled to some degree of discontentment with the woman’s natural beauty? This would be like a man pretending to have been rich with a leased car and rented suits, only to marry a woman and bring her home to a shack to live in.

Now before you get on your high horses and say William Moore is shaming women for their looks, let us understand the psychology around our perception of beauty. All satisfaction really means is the meeting up or exceeding of expectations. When a girl looks like a 9/10 on Instagram or with make-up on, as guys we make a provision of maybe three points for her natural self. So we expect she is probably a 6/10 at worst. When she turns out to be a 4/10, one cannot help but to be disappointed. Unfortunately, as the media continues to push the ideal perception of beauty with characters like the Kardashians, and the rest of the world tries to play catch-up, we fall into a cycle of obsession with perfection that perpetuates itself. We can say we dress and make-up for our self, but to deny that there is no pressure from society as to the effort we put into our appearance would be a waste of time. And to also deny that the perception of the opposite gender has an effect on our appearance is literally denying a subconscious need for procreation. It is only natural to try to put yourself in a position to attract what you consider the most desirable mate for yourself.

For some guys like myself, the Barbie dolled up look is at best only a sexual turn on. On a relationship level, I find it repulsive. I will admit that prejudice. It doesn’t mean I think all dolled up girls are block heads or insecure, it’s just a personal preference. We all have our tastes on these matters. But on the broader scheme of things, I really think it is worth it to mention that the degree of change from make-up to natural poses an inherent risk to how a guy will perceive your looks. And whether we like it or not, we attach ratings of how secure people are based on how they carry themselves. And excessive make-up is often suggestive of insecurity.

These days, with techniques like contouring, the make-up game has moved from making-up to makeover. And the one that inspired this article was a before and after picture of a girl that somehow used make-up to create the illusion of fuller breasts. The only word I could liken to that was ‘surgery’. As this make-up culture continues to expand and evolve into all sorts of artistic illusions, we find ourselves in a society where competition is so stiff among women to look a certain way that it breeds insecurity even more and more. For the men, we run even higher risks of discontentment the morning after. So really, it’s a lose-lose situation for everyone.

Perhaps when we think about make-up, we might want to consider if it is a band-aid for deep seated insecurity instead of a confidence booster. We might also want to think about how excess use can result to unhealthy competition that can undermine the confidence of the female population. And if I may slyly introduce the male agenda, we might also want to think of how much pancake a hug can leave on a brother’s shirt and how scary it can be for us when we have to completely change our image of your face after a date at the swimming pool.

P.S Abeg make una no kill me, na as I think am I take write am.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Piotr Marcinski

William Ifeanyi Moore is an MPharm graduate from the University of Portsmouth, UK. His true passion is in novels and poetry but he cheats on them with movies, plays, and music. He believes sacrifice and compromise is the bedrock of any healthy relationship. His debut novel Lonely Roads is out on 10/12/2015. Blog: www.soulsyrup.space Twitter: @willifmoore Instagram: willifmoore

1. Duni

October 13, 2015 at 4:38 pm

William…you actually went there!!

2. Ufuoma

October 13, 2015 at 4:41 pm

We no go kill you no worry Mr moore,I absolutely agree with you on all that you have stated,in addition to the make up and contouring, we have somehow created this impossible to attain body type(for a good percentage of us) of a waist of a 13 year old girl and hips of Beyoncé/Kim. It’s becoming increasingly difficult to maintain a sense of individuality in this day and age

• Tosin

October 13, 2015 at 9:26 pm

That contouring thing, e be like say na stencu some people dey take stencil am. Wallahi, I tire. I just hold my mouth fem as orisirisi dey waka pass.

3. odi

October 13, 2015 at 5:04 pm

If you don’t see your woman without makeup before una get married that one na your consine.

4. odi

October 13, 2015 at 5:20 pm

Lol @ used makeup to create the illusion of fuller breasts. I can imagine a guy thinking he has caught an endowed chic only for her to wipe it all off with makeup remover. lmaoo. Guys don enter one chance. Makeup and padded bras create the illusion of fuller boobs while butt pads tell a false story. And now there’s the waist shaper.. Take it off and the guts come spilling. Sigh. I’m a woman but i can understand what guys are going thru. There’s so much artificialness going on. Plus there’s now the case of women who were born as men and you can’t tell at first sight. Whew! I can only thank God that I am not a man 🙂

5. Yue

October 13, 2015 at 5:42 pm

3days ago, My mind wandered to this whole “beauty and make up saga”. This lit up the true perception of an African (Nigeria, precisely) woman’s perception of beauty.

A girl goes out in her natural hair, her friend sees her and goes “haba, babe you never make ya hair” and she’s like “no money oh”. She goes out without make -up only at the break of dawn and at night. Staying make-up less to an event is almost impossible with a lot of females.
    The long and big clothes worn, for a lot of ladies are not because we ought to wear them, 50% of the reasons is for covering parts of our body we are insecure about. This is a truth we cannot deny.

At the end of everything all, I’ve come to the realization that it’s all about learning to love your look and being comfortable in your body, accepting and appreciating it all ( often times when this “appreciating and loving who you are” is talked about, people feel it only goes for ugly girls. Nah! It’s how you see yourself that matters), which a lot of Nigerian women hardly take to.

I need people to know that what you have is all that you are. Make-up, the weavons and all can only make you happy or feel good or even pretty to the extent that You already are.

Learn to be comfortable with who you are from your facial appearance to your skin to your material possession. I need my fellow ladies to know this, Please. When it came to mind, how my Nigerian sisters will rather cover their hair with weavons and braids and shit without ever opening up to the one they already have, it killed me.

Of course it was always that way, even society (the school) promotes it. A student isn’t allowed to go to school in her natural hair, she has to use threads and all the rest to “take care” of it. I just hope the perception changes, after reading several other comments in line with mine. Thank You, Williams for this. What an amazing writer You are.

This has boosted my desire to improve and change the change-ables of our Nigerian perception of beauty.

• ElessarisEllendil

October 13, 2015 at 7:56 pm

Ehh, I disagree with the schools part. Firstly I believe the thread rule has been relaxed, I can vouch for my cousins’ school atleast, as long as its plaited its fine. Second, its quite a leap to jump from threads to fake hair, its male equivalent would be shaving mala(when you’re not bald) because you weren’t allowed afro in school. Finally on the subject of hair cuts, most secondary schools had a policy of having their girls cut their hair and yet you look around and women on low cut are rarer than virgins. How are schools to blame again?

• N.O

October 13, 2015 at 7:57 pm

Whilst you made a various points that hit the nail on the head, i beg to differ.
      Firstly, let us address the fact that with natural hair, it is just not as easy to take care of. Also with the type of texture and various other characteristics of African hair types we both know that having protective styles is the most advisable for various reasons.Whether we should have these 24/7 365 is another topic but yeah. Also i think it would always be more hygienic and safer for children to go to school with their hair in con rows. Definitely not attachments sha.
      Secondly, no matter how beautiful you are or whatever, let us just be realistic as this the life we live not just a mere topic on the internet. If you were to attend an important event would you really just roll out of bed with take a shower and attend? WE CANNOT DENY, MAKE-UP GIVES A BOOST TO INNER CONFIDENCE. How much make-up you then wear is the following issue…
      I think what the writer is trying to touch on is understanding excesses As long as you show comfort in your own skin and not abuse the use of what is supposed to be an “enhancer, IT IS FINE.
      For example, why are you wearing a full face to go jogging or to the gym? Not judging if that’s you, by all means do you. But in situations like that you begin to question so many things.
      When a girl becomes heavily dependent on the use of make-up or having 26” hair then that is what we should be discussing.
      Also, may i add;
      Dear writer,
      We should be focused on how to help these young ones that feel like this life of make-up, weave and so on are the norm. As social media has finished our generation!
      And definitely not focused on whether the other sex is comfortable with it! Because it is this supposed validation from the opposite sex that gave birth to this anyway

• Tuu

October 14, 2015 at 4:30 pm

I love you!!!!

• Ada Awka

October 15, 2015 at 4:14 pm

God bless you.

The same men that are now complaining, gave rise to this inherent madness.

6. whocares

October 13, 2015 at 5:43 pm

Mama Ifeanyi come and carry your pikin ooo. lool. Also, leave feminism out of this, and say what you wish to say. All feisty women are not feminists; not all feminists are feisty, and not all “contrary” opinions are necessarily feminist opinions. Women can actually have opinions by virtue of the fact that certain things irritate them as women :O imagine that!
    Meanwhile, see as that girl in the picture resembles me 😀 … That is the extent of my contribution. Good day! loool

• Californiabawlar

October 13, 2015 at 10:21 pm

Aki! you’re right!! hehehehe. In my early teens, my friends and I were talking and they were saying that they wanted to be Governor’s wives and married to doctors and I was like “what is wrong in being a governor myself??” with a genuinely confused face too…lols. Almost a decade later one of my friends at that discussion said she never forgot it…me wey I just dey talk my own.
      So yeah! you’re right…Willy Willy, not every feisty woman is a feminist o! I did not even know (and probably still don’t know) what feminism is!! “o kan naturally ni mi lara ni” I just never understood why my anatomy dictated the expectations the society had of me. Back the, most people just wrote it off as agidi Ekiti (Ekiti stubbornness)…hehehe.

p.s. Madam see as you just allowed us peep say you be fine girl, casually, like say nothing dey happen…I see you…I see you… 😛

• whocares

October 14, 2015 at 10:09 am

LMAOO. O kan naturally. LOOOL. Ahh, that was kuku wishful thinking sometings o. I claim that lady’s beauty IJN. loool.

7. I no dey talk

October 13, 2015 at 5:43 pm

I’m a woman but I don’t go overboard with makeup. the major problem with our girls is they want to do and be everything they see on TV. forgetting that these people they are artificial and fakelike Kim and her sisters it’s clear that their beauty is cosmetic surgery and the bad part is they want to look like Africans. while we kill ourselves to be like Dem. I believe beauty and youth will fade away but a woman with virtue wins her man even when she is 99. woman learn to love and appreciate your natural beauty

8. Yue

October 13, 2015 at 5:44 pm

Are not worn because we want to* Emphasis on Want* Before una chop me raw. *rolling eyes*.

9. naija

October 13, 2015 at 5:52 pm

Pls does anyone know any website where I can buy nigerian designed clothes. .tnx

• ..

October 13, 2015 at 11:51 pm

zerefashionhouse

• Krasavitsa

October 14, 2015 at 1:40 am

Come, I can design clothes for you.I’m not yet established, but God will take me dre soon. 🙂

• mee

October 14, 2015 at 5:10 pm

marcomartinez.clothing

10. I'm with Yue.

October 13, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Before adding to what Yue said, which I rightly agree with. There is no problem in wearing make up. But if that make-up or whatever other artificial material added to you is what makes you feel good about yourself, then there’s a problem. I see lotsa non-african ladies using their natural hair to make different styles, of course they wear wigs sometimes, they still appreciate their natural hair by wearing it on without shame. That is something Africans should learn from. It’s not that the grass is greener on the other side, it’s just You haven’t watered it where You are.
    To the face. It is now very normal for an African woman to live her whole life using make-up as often as possible, like it’s a part of her. I really hate that! A guy once said “Women should be thankful that they have makeup oh, even if you no fine, a little make can do the magic” that might work for some girls, but the truth is what’s beneath. We can and should learn from the guys when it comes to appreciating and living with the natural. The whole weaving your hair, to use a needle and add the weavon that will be kept on that head for weeks and weeks, only for the reason that we don’t love or appreciate our own is just shameful.
    “I think that whatever you look like, the key is to be happy with yourself and appreciate it.”- Adele.

• kili

October 13, 2015 at 7:02 pm

But isn’t that the purpose of makeup, to make you look and then feel good ?

• ElessarisEllendil

October 13, 2015 at 8:04 pm

A+++++
      Originally, makeup was invented to treat cosmetic problems like wrinkles, baldness, grey hair bad breath e.t.c. It was originally used to make you feel younger, which we can assume in turn made our ancestors feel good.

Fun Fact. Makeup may have been invented in Africa, some of its earliest users were our ancestors. Though come to think of it everybody is descended from Africans anyways.

• cindy

October 13, 2015 at 7:53 pm

Sorry o, but why do people assume that people who wear weaves don’t appreciate their natural hair? I love my natural hair but biko I cannot do #teamnatural in this fast-paced world. I will now be struggling with comb every morning when I’m rushing out? It has nothing to do with self-esteem, it is actually because of a very simple reason. My hair is tough and I cannot be breaking comb and crying everyday. Even my hair stylist laughs at me whenever I go to make my hair, omo see tears. So please #teamnaturals, don’t look down on the rest of us like we are suffering from inferioriy complex. Some of us are just too lazy to deal with plastic combs and head ache everyday.

• Somtoo

October 14, 2015 at 4:49 pm

Cindy..Exactly..im sick of this natural this and that

Dear Mrs Natural people dem dem, please do you and let me do me. I have very light hair that when i pack it all up, i look like a 10 year old. I need to look older cos whether i like it or not people in this part of the world attach too much importance to looks and appearance. My appearance and the way i carry myself go hand in hand. Weavon adds years and some level of sophistication i feel is necessary for the seat i occupy. My opinion period

Call it whatever you want, i love weavons
      #theymakemelookandfeelsexier #Naturalhairkor #overconfidencedeyworrymesef #thelongertheweavonthebetter #butiamteamnatturalface #dontlikeplentymakeup #foundationandeyelinerandiamgoodtogo

But that’s just me. Y’all are entitled to your varying choices.

• Krasavitsa

October 14, 2015 at 1:50 am

I’ll admit I don’t like my hair. Why? It’s short, brown and not pretty. Plus I’m tired of people asking me “what happened to your hair?” With an evil twinkle in their eyes. There’s only so many times a girl can say “winter happened to it” Have I lost confidence in my hair? Yes. Do I lack general confidence? Hell no! I’m the most confident girl I’ve met. So, wearing weaves doesn’t equal low self-esteem neither is it shameful.

11. Oluchi nwa Nsukka

October 13, 2015 at 6:37 pm

I think the men are partly to blame for this trend. I wear mainly braids, sometimes weaves. On the occasions I wear out my hair, which is short and natural, I always get comments from male friends. The last was “what happened to your hair?”. I said, this IS my hair. Another called me “rasta lady”. Same goes for makeup, “Oh it seems you don’t use a lot of makeup.” My response: “No, I don’t.” That ends the discussion. Generally speaking, as a lady you tend to get more compliments and male attention when you’re dolled up and superficial.. It takes a lot of self-confidence to do you and not give a flipping monkey about people’s opinions. I think if more men appreciated ‘natural women’ more, the problem would be half solved.

• Preach Girl!

October 13, 2015 at 7:06 pm

Preach Oluchi!

I’m the type of girl who doesn’t like to wear too much make-up. I almost dated a guy who would keep asking why I didn’t use enough make-up. I ran away sharp sharp- I knew if I stayed long enough the guy would break my self-esteem.

• Californiabawlar

October 13, 2015 at 10:41 pm

lol…in a round about way, they are not to be blamed jere. I actually understand a Nigerian man who likes a girl in makeup and weave. Think about it, they are only conditioned to what they grew up with: mothers, sisters, aunties and general ‘fine girl’ images portrayed in the media.
      All these brothers out here saying they want long natural hair….abeg bring your mother and her long flowing hair on our next date before you tell me story…lol. For instance, my older brothers are always (subconsciously) chasing yellow pawpaws who wear tons of makeup just like their mother….even the one that’s a pastor, you should see his wife…fire! Even me, I’m like…brah! #sideeye
      A comment on YouTube read that African American men are the only culture who constantly idolize women who do not look like their mothers (from Asian, to white, to Filipino…anything but a black woman)…and while that trend is getting to Naija fast, a lot of men are just still accustomed to the norm…which is “fine girls wear braids, weaves, every now and then do ghana weaving, and then depending on their background the quantity and harshness of makeup will vary”.
      As for me, I can paint face for Africa…it’s an art!! it makes me happy!! the essential part is that I’m also very comfortable makeup free….I don’t care much for a man catching me on a bald, plain face day…I’m still going to have the same sassy attitude and huge boobanies you came for anyways 😀

• Magz

October 14, 2015 at 11:55 am

“As for me, I can paint face for Africa…it’s an art!! it makes me happy!! the essential part is that I’m also very comfortable makeup free”

This is me right here! I love makeup not because i don’t feel confident/good without it but because i love it! I just do! I still get the same attention (even more sometimes) when i go makeup free but i just love sitting in front of a mirror and painting my face. That doesn’t mean i can’t go out without makeup….i even go to work without makeup, i don’t care! But still, i love makeup!

12. Yue

October 13, 2015 at 7:26 pm

Oluchi hunnie, You just said “It
    takes a lot of self-confidence to do you and not give
    a flipping monkey about people’s opinions.” So it should not be “if” men appreciated natural women.” If we appreciate ourselves, that’s more than enough. Men go natural, does it have anything to do with the appreciation of women? Boo mi, Check and balance nau!

• Pat

October 13, 2015 at 9:41 pm

Gbam! My thoughts exactly.

13. Oluchi nwa Nsukka

October 13, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Yue, true talk. I ask myself the same question sometimes. I think it has to do with men being the pursuers and women the “objects” of desire. Women impress with their looks to be seen. Men impress with their pockets and charm to win her over. In an ideal world, women wouldn’t have to dress to impress men, and men wouldn’t have to “hammer” or punish themselves in the gym to impress the ‘laydays’

14. Nadia

October 13, 2015 at 8:00 pm

Guys do the same though with money , when dating they take you to expensive resturants , buy expensive gifts which they cannot sustain after a while . We all create illusions ,

15. Hey

October 13, 2015 at 8:02 pm

Dear writer, I need you to understand that for centuries women (and men) have always added false attachments to their looks…from wearing of corsets to accentuate their boobs, humongous wigs, wide ball gowns to give illusion of wide hips etc
    So what makes makeup (contouring and all) any different? Its just the trend- for now. You need to give women a break.
    If you’re not fine with it (most women dont really care) then just stick which the “normal ones” and let women be…I dont use a lot of makeup and I dont have a problem with people who do. Live and let live

16. Mbeke feeling funky

October 13, 2015 at 8:10 pm

Mr Moore shouldn’t the message be that both sexes should be less superficial with how they choose who they date. Most ladies wear make up to feel more confident because shocker!! women actually make decisions that have nothing to do with attracting men. Same way women shouldn’t choose a mate based on how stacked his pockets are or how foiine he is . We are all more than how we look or how much we have. I can understand that looks are what initially attract people to each other but then isn’t the whole point that you then try to discover other aspects of the person beyond the physical that make them attractive. The people that sue for “false advertisement” are basically showing to the world that they only picked people based solely on the physical.

17. Mz_ Daniels

October 13, 2015 at 9:18 pm

DO YOU. I apply make up. Started at 18 to look a bit older and it stuck. At 18 and trying on personalities, I was very crazy and experimental with makeup. Now that I’ve entered that serene, just want to walk my own path phase, it’s the full makeup routine using very natural colors.

I don’t know any others, but my looks have always defined my looks. When I turned 25 last year, I seemed to enter Thai effortless, serene just loving me phase. And it’s fitted bodycon dresses in understated colors that complement my skin tones. Will I say the females who do the whole lots of color and notice me dressing are insecure? Maybe both, it’s the phase of life their in and it makes them happy.

My elder brother will always say so long as it’s not hurting anyone and you’re not doing it to fulfill a hole on the inside, do you.
    Btw, whats all the fixation with a girl looking different without makeup and off Instagram. I thought it was all about internal beauty.

ps: all those team natural people. the lord is your muscle. My hair turns natural 2 weeks after relaxer application, I cannot join your team, it is not in my destiny and my self esteem is very intact

• Californiabawlar

October 13, 2015 at 11:02 pm

lol….it has nothing to do with self esteem jere!! But I still implore you to join us…hehehe. We are like a cult, always recruiting…

18. Tosin

October 13, 2015 at 9:23 pm

I want a swimming pool date!
    Because there comes a time in a girl’s life when she’s gotta stop talking about muscle/aerobic fitness and start being about it.

I don’t wanna be you, I just wanna be me
    – Chance the _

19. ayi

October 14, 2015 at 7:46 am

i sometimes go to work without makeup and my male colleagues ask”are you oK,?you look pale and ill’.. Other days i Igo to work with makeup on they say”you look beautiful.you look good “.90% of men now prefer light skinned women,result of this is more women bleach.you are on your natural nails without polish,men don’t compliment,fix your nails and polish it red then you get comments from men…you are on your natural hair,men don’t notice you,fix a 26 inch weave then you get toasters and ” your market sell well that period”.put on a flat and men don’t give you compliments,you are on a 6inch heel,they ooh and ahhhh you….so William thanks for the article but please talk to the men to correct their views first.men want trophylike women that they can use the women to decorate their cars and boast to their friends of having a barbie like gf or wife

20. ayi

October 14, 2015 at 7:54 am

My point is this ,women are giving men what they want,what appeals to their eyes..men are moved by what they see so more women are giving men that…anyway for me .I am a dark skinned Girl,iI won’t let the media or society mold me into been fake.if you are a man you don’t like what you see abeg shift go front to tokes,Kim k,Nicki etc

• Ga

October 14, 2015 at 9:20 am

You have spoken the mind of all the men on planet earth today. This makeup nd body magic is SUPER FRAUD and I think EFCC and ICPC and the FBI would soon be alerted as the damage to the male psychi is becoming catastrophic. Moore I owe you booze session for this.

21. Zeeebby

October 14, 2015 at 9:40 am

I LOVE MAKE-UP. i am a self confessed lipstick buying, foundation collecting, eyelash loving make-up addict. However, my love for make-up is as a result for the artistry involved in it. I love to wear it, apply it on other people, buy it and blah blah blah. For me, make-up isn’t about confidence boosting at all…I wear my make-up about 3-4 times a week and other times i go bare. I don’t feel less confident without make-up AT ALL in fact I feel better. Just last week i ran into someone I know while rocking a bare face and my natural hair and he said “oh you look different” and I said YEAH…I AM NOT WEARING MAKE-UP with confidence, grace and smile. I LOVE MAKE-UP BUT MAKE-UP IS NOT WHO I AM….

22. Amaris Ifedi

October 14, 2015 at 10:07 am

Moral of the story: “It’s a lose-lose situation for everyone”. Thanks for your article Moore. I look forward to reading how men influenced (and continue to influence) the “Make-up, Makeover and Surgical Cosmetics” epidemic. In 2016, how can women understand that men are more “content” with the no-make-up, made down and cosmeticless woman considering that men continue to date/marry (before filing lawsuits against) women with “pancake, eyeliner, eye-shadow, etc.”? Let’s address men’s issues frequently, if not as equally, as we do their counterparts. The “situation” involves everyone.

• Krasavitsa

October 14, 2015 at 10:47 am

WORD!!!

23. Magz

October 14, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Thank you William!

Why do women use makeup?

-Some do it because they love it. not because of a man, or because it is necessary but just because they love it. I find myself in that category; in fact i pray for more self-control whenever i go to the market just because i don’t want to buy more makeup products. I’m not obsessed/addicted, i just love it!

– Some do it because they HAVE to; they need it for the spots, pimples, scars etc.

-Some do it because of men; they believe men wouldn’t find them attractive if their face is bare.

Most times whenever men comment on this kind of article, they go all “we men, prefer the natural-hair wearing, no makeup women” yet 7 out of 10 men will not give a second look to a natural-hair wearing, no makeup lady. Yet the married men (those who cheat) will leave their wives and cheat with the 26″ weave-wearing, barbie doll ladies.
    As much as i love makeup, there are days i decide to go bare even to work and my male colleagues will be there asking if I’m okay. After telling me several times to use makeup on my makeup-free days, my boss had to give me an order that i must use at least powder and do my eyebrows whenever I’m going out to a meeting with him – he is a man!

My point – live and let live!
    For women who think other women who don’t wear their natural hair have low self-esteem or whatever, it is not so. I have scanty hair naturally, got it from my mother, who got it from her mother and so on. Apart from that, i cannot bear to spend so much time combing and brushing and taming my hair to behave. So please, before you act all self-righteous and say weave-wearing women have low self-esteem just because they are wearing weaves, pause and hear their reasons!
    As long as it is not hurting anyone, do you!

• Tosin

October 14, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Your boss may be an idiot, or if you’re on a sales team, he thinks (maybe rightly) that your clients are idiots. All in all, your work has a high idiot quotient. Hope you break free soon.

24. Busola Adedire

Oluwabusola Adedire

October 14, 2015 at 1:15 pm

Let’s go back to Evolutionary biology- Survival of the fittest. This plays an important role in why we do the things we do. Whether actively or passively, there is an element of competition in life. Men especially, are known to be hunters- COMPETITION.. and we all know that the tougher the competition, the higher the value. Men have capitalised on this principle, that is why they go for trophy women most times. The more aesthetically pleasing the woman, the more ‘rare’ she becomes.. Scarcity breeds competition. Most men want this type of woman as an ego -boost. Now, whether this is a good or bad thing is a discussion for another day. Women, have also discovered this nature of men so they play the game. I read an article a short while ago that says that high maintenance women do get the best guys.. Do you blame them? Look at every Alpha male you know and see the kind of girlfriends/wives they have… we all know that most women want Alpha males- Again, COMPETITION! However, another side of me knows that attraction is largely psychological. Let’s take a look at the high maintenance woman… She looks like a bag of chips and all that… and of course she has a mirror that shows her that… She acts like it! Many guys do not know, that they are largely attracted to the confidence she has. This is why ‘runs girls’ look a certain way, and get certain guys… and they have learnt the game so well that they don’t have to be pretty to have guys at their beck and call.
    I wear make up and I love make up.. especially because it makes me look older, if not I will look like a child but, I have never made it my identity. To every woman I say this, know who you are at the core of your being. It is very easy to get carried away with façade but true confidence is from within and no amount of make-up can cover up for that- the one that comes from make-up is often short lived. I have a friend who is naturalista with dreads and she barely wears make up but the amount of confidence in her is incredibly attractive. I have no doubt that she could bag herself the most good looking guy in a room because she oozes that much self-confidence. That is what every woman should aspire to.