Events

Karrueche gets real about Nigeria + Fun Photos from PLAY’s 10th Pool Party & Apparel Launch

Karrueche Tran and Richard Akuson

Karrueche Tran and Richard Akuson

BN Contributor Richard Akuson, who is also a fashion writer, publicist, stylist and creative director got the chance to have a chat with Karrueche Tran during her recent visit to Nigeria.

They talked about everything from the misconceptions about Nigeria before her trip to how it feels to always have the “Chris Brown’s ex” tag on her.

They met up at the Abuja Hilton hotel for the interview and one thing Richard Akuson immediately notes is how charming she is.

Richard describes his first impression of her in those couple of minutes as “energetic, vibrant and quite charming, smiled a lot and continued answering my questions even when her team had started complaining that she’d no time. She was like “oh no, that’s no problem. I can do more questions”, and went on to answer 3 more questions. “

Karrueche was also very passionate about her fans and took time out to oblige social media requests for SnapChat and Instagram.

For the interview she was dressed in a slouchy play suit – elegantly cinched to her waist to accentuate her pretty doll size figure, sky high tasseled strap stiletto sandals, a black Hermes Birkin bag in hand and flanked by her management team and hosts on both sides.

Karrueche Tran at the IDP Camp in Abuja

Karrueche Tran at the IDP Camp in Abuja

See excerpts from their interview below.

On being invited to Nigeria: Honestly being here feels amazing. I’ve never been here before, so, when they reached out to me was kinda like, I wasn’t sure if it was like a serious thing or not. But it’s been great so far. I’ve had a lot of great feed back. I’ve had a lot of people tweeting me and Instagramming me. Last night at the club (pool), it was like really crazy a lot of people showing me love. It’s a really great feeling.

On her fears about Nigeria before coming: Well, to be honest, I mean, a lot of people said a lot of different things; just to be cautious, and be very careful for like my safety and like as far as the water is concerned and eating certain things. But, it hasn’t been really that difficult at all. People were you know, kinda really scary before the trip. But it’s been good so far, we’ve had really no problem.

On her Nigerian experience: Well, I mean, I just got here last night, so, I haven’t had much of an experience so far – other than the club, but I’m excited about today (Sunday, 15th), just to be able to go out, visit and see the country. So, in three words? Urhmm, I don’t know – great, beautiful and exciting, I guess.

On the Nigerian nightlife: Oh gosh. Crazy, fun… Uhhh and lots of energy.

On her current projects: Yeah, The Bay is a digital show, so it’s online. It’s a day time soap opera, so, there’s a lot of drama and suspense. It has won a day time Emmy; which is very big in the U.S. It’s very great to be a part of that cast and to be a part of that production. Especially for me, ’cause I’m a new actor, I’ve been doing this for the past 2-3 years, so, it’s great to be a part of that…

Urhmm, I have a movie coming out in early next year (2016) called ‘Dinner With The Stankershets’ in which Marques Houston is in it and also Wendy Raquel Robinson, and a few other actors. It’s a romantic comedy, so, so funny. I was doing ‘Vanity’, another digital show which is on stylehaul.com, the series has ended but hopefully they bring back a season 2 ’cause everyone loves that show. It’s a fashion based show. Yeah, so it’s very very awesome.

Lots of magazine editorials coming out. (Her manager interjects to remind her of some of her other projects). I have a tattoo line coming out soon. You know flash tattoos? Oh yeah, temporary tattoos. Well mine will be in gold and black, I’ll have some of my personal tattoos like I have this one (pointing at a tiny inscription on her arm) and the zipper down my leg, which is really cool, ’cause a lot of people are interested, especially in my leg tattoos, so they’ll be able to have their own version without having to go through the pain.

And I have a collab coming soon with a beauty brand which will be really big ’cause I have a lot of fans who are interested in the beauty aspects of me, so, they’ll be able to purchase.

On things she learnt from the Chris Brown experience: One main important thing that I’ve learnt is to love and respect my elf. You know, at times, I just wasn’t focused on me and my career and I had to learn to really invest in me and to focus on myself and respect myself and put myself first.

On constantly being linked to Chris Brown: It is what it is. ‘Cause like, I can’t change the past – like we had a relationship, you know. It is life and it’s a part of my past. You know it is unfortunate that people will continue to link me just as an ex girlfriend or whatever, but I don’t let that get to me because all that matters is all about progression right now and just moving forward.

On her relationship status: I am single. I plan to be that way for a while. Cause, I really just want to focus on me right now and my career. Kinda just get my self together. I think that’s where I’m at. I messed up in the beginning of my relationship, which was not really focusing on me first and getting my self together as a woman, and then going on into a relationship. So right now I am single. I will be single for a while.

***

Play Network held its ‘Play Apparel Launch Pool Party’ in Abuja over the weekend on Sunday, November 15th 2015 and the exciting and fun event was hosted by Karrueche Tran.

With endless drinks and a fun atmosphere at the party, the debut collection of Play Apparel – the White Veil swimsuit collection designed by Maison Mimi was also on display.

See the fun photos from the event below!

Play-Pool-Party-Karrueche-Tran-BellaNaija (24) Play-Pool-Party-Karrueche-Tran-BellaNaija (21) Play-Pool-Party-Karrueche-Tran-BellaNaija (22) Play-Pool-Party-Karrueche-Tran-BellaNaija (23) Play-Pool-Party-Karrueche-Tran-BellaNaija (26) Play-Pool-Party-Karrueche-Tran-BellaNaija (27) Play-Pool-Party-Karrueche-Tran-BellaNaija (36) Play-Pool-Party-Karrueche-Tran-BellaNaija (5) Play-Pool-Party-Karrueche-Tran-BellaNaija (7) Play-Pool-Party-Karrueche-Tran-BellaNaija (11) Play-Pool-Party-Karrueche-Tran-BellaNaija (2) Play-Pool-Party-Karrueche-Tran-BellaNaija (6) Play-Pool-Party-Karrueche-Tran-BellaNaija (8) Play-Pool-Party-Karrueche-Tran-BellaNaija (9) Play-Pool-Party-Karrueche-Tran-BellaNaija (14) Play-Pool-Party-Karrueche-Tran-BellaNaija (16) Play-Pool-Party-Karrueche-Tran-BellaNaija (18) Play-Pool-Party-Karrueche-Tran-BellaNaija (19) Play-Pool-Party-Karrueche-Tran-BellaNaija (20) Play-Pool-Party-Karrueche-Tran-BellaNaija (28) Play-Pool-Party-Karrueche-Tran-BellaNaija (29) Play-Pool-Party-Karrueche-Tran-BellaNaija (31) Play-Pool-Party-Karrueche-Tran-BellaNaija (32) Play-Pool-Party-Karrueche-Tran-BellaNaija (33) Play-Pool-Party-Karrueche-Tran-BellaNaija (34) Play-Pool-Party-Karrueche-Tran-BellaNaija (37) Play-Pool-Party-Karrueche-Tran-BellaNaija (44)

Photo Credit: @thecannon5 | George Okoro

1. Felinda

November 20, 2015 at 3:50 pm

AMAZING HOW BLOGGERS CAN MAKE A CELEBRITY OUT OF NOBODY CONSTANTLY SHUVVING THEM DOWN OUR THROATS (LITERALLY)

• mee

November 20, 2015 at 4:30 pm

what gives you the right to call her a nobody?? what have you achieved in your life?? at least shes a model and is legitimately making money,you better get used to seeing her around and if posts about her offend you soooo much DONT CLICK!!!! simple!!! now run along while you choke on you bile hisssss!!!!

• Lyon Jasper

November 21, 2015 at 1:44 pm

….Just passing with full speed

2. Ak

November 20, 2015 at 4:19 pm

Killer smile! This babe is beautiful though…..

3. toyeen8

November 20, 2015 at 4:24 pm

Wow Karrueche is beautiful………[email protected] its not compulsory to open the article if you dont want to read it shu,,,,

4. nobadayyy

November 20, 2015 at 4:36 pm

its funny how the karreuche they all came to party with was all covered up, while they all showed deir “bikini bods”

• Kree

November 20, 2015 at 5:48 pm

Ermm, but it’s a pool party no? Play has always had its annual shindig, which dare I say is wildly popular and I’m pretty sure people would have showed up even if Karrueche wasn’t there. So yes, they showed up in bikinis and looked fabulous and looked like they had a bloody good time. So…#ShadeBlocked

5. Kemi

November 20, 2015 at 5:44 pm

So Rapture should take place…. where will this ones go?

• C'est la vie

November 20, 2015 at 8:38 pm

What about you?.Are you sure where you’ll go if rapture should take place now!..You guys should be less judgemental and allow God to decide(Only Him knows).

• Pat

November 21, 2015 at 3:58 pm

Kemi only asked a very valid question.

• Nnenna

November 21, 2015 at 2:22 am

Give Kemi a break. The word of God is foolishness to the ordinary mind. She asked a question. Let each person answer for themselves, don’t worry Kemi will also answer so don’t crucify her, she is only reminding us of an inevitable experience. Rapture is real.

6. Yetty

November 20, 2015 at 6:10 pm

See my girl SOXY!!!! Stunning!!

7. Ty

November 20, 2015 at 6:35 pm

@kemi, where you’ll go should be of more important to you. He who is without sin should first cast the stone. Holier than thou attitude does one no good.

8. Tea

November 20, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Wack pool party…………come to lagos, let’s show u how it’s done.

9. everybody

November 20, 2015 at 6:50 pm

Everybody bleaches in Naija… nawaaaooooo!! with fake hair everywhere… even maybe… fake weewwee hair..

10. Joke

November 20, 2015 at 7:50 pm

I’m not hating, but who is Karrueche? What does she do? Stylist my foot. Now about to be actress abi? Being Chris Brown’s girlfriend or Christina Milian’s friend is what? And she came to Nigeria to do what? Host a party? Some people have money to burn, so why don’t you just burn it. There are Nigerian/African artists with careers, following, great works suffering because we don’t appreciate or promote our own. It’s even Westerners that help many of our artists through brand endorsements. Only God knows how much they wasted bringing Karrueche and her team to 9aija just so they can say they did. And so what? Utter rubbish.

• Ari

November 20, 2015 at 11:49 pm

Joke, its what it is. Get used to the programme. The act of bn a Celebrity has changed and there re so many roads to it. Kim K has paved the way for these breed of Celebrities who re seemingly famous for nothing. Her claim to fame may have bn Cus she is the ex GF of a major Star, but she’s moved on past that and building a career as a Model and media personality. I for one will not knock her hustle.

• Gosh! Take a chill pill!!

November 21, 2015 at 2:43 am

She is an actress and a model,stop hating!!

11. Chi-e-z

November 21, 2015 at 12:28 am

That’s right girl know your self worth . No person made you so don’t let no one break you. Hope you go far and let all the haters as my people say “shine eye well well ” basically better recognize 😀

12. Azia

November 21, 2015 at 12:41 am

A model were? Surely not here in The States. She is an aspiring model better known as Chris Brown ex.

13. Noella

November 21, 2015 at 3:25 pm

Nigerians are such followers with low self-esteem and think anything from the west especially US is great and just heartily gulp it down. Stop this nonsense already. What r u teaching our youtb?

14. Noella

November 21, 2015 at 3:26 pm

I meant youth

15. hilda

November 21, 2015 at 5:00 pm

she really is pretty. i like her

16. Eliza

November 21, 2015 at 10:55 pm

She sounds really positive and has a lot lined up for herself from the sound of this interview. Killer smile also, lovely girl.

17. Nino

October 7, 2016 at 1:33 am

Wat a dull bunch of fe,lows she is a nobody