News

Have You Heard of the Instagram Shopping Scam? See How 1 Scammer Got Nabbed

BellaNaija.com

Instagram Scam 2My cousin is getting married in a few weeks. As I love weddings, she has been keeping me updated with wedding plans. She is not a regular online shopper but she had seen a pair of sparkly shoes she liked on the page of an Instagram vendor.

Who is an instagram vendor?
Well, several enterprising entrepreneurs (and a few scammers) sell their goods via Instagram. They typically display photos of what is available for sale, include an email address and/or phone number (for calls and WhatsApp) where they can be contacted and buyers pay into their bank accounts. With the high cost of rent, power and other accompanying business costs, Instagram has helped lots of small businesses and entrepreneurs reach their clientele.
In many cases, these transactions work well with minimal fuss.

Back to my cousin, this past weekend, she messaged saying the shoes had not been delivered yet despite promises from the vendor and full payment on her part.

How the Scammer got Nabbed
Coincidentally, I was scrolling through my insta feed and saw a series of posts by @nhn_couture. She was “exposing” an Instagram Shopping scammer. It was the same person my cousin had bought from!

You can see a selection of the screenshots below;
In summary,

• He had approached her to post a flyer about his business on her page, she declined but decided to support him by purchasing items worth over N90,000 from him for her daughter.
  • She paid into the specified account
  • The items never arrived
  • Instead, he blocked her on Instagram
  • She put her investigative hat on and managed to find out his real name (he used someone else’s bank account to receive payment)
  • Since then, he has been pleading with her, coming up with all sorts of excuses and stories
hustle is real... This was the mgs he sent to me. So guys be careful who you help advertise and who you buy from here on social media. I suspected him when I asked his acct details and he sent a personal acct of a lady. Then I quickly went through his post and saved all his personal pix b4 he blocked me. He was shocked I have his real details plus where he is and the girl he used her acct. When I called him this morning on his real number which he didn't give me, he was shocked hence all the beggingjoyjoy So guys be very very careful.

hustle is real… This was the mgs he sent to me. So guys be careful who you help advertise and who you buy from here on social media. I suspected him when I asked his acct details and he sent a personal acct of a lady. Then I quickly went through his post and saved all his personal pix b4 he blocked me. He was shocked I have his real details plus where he is and the girl he used her acct. When I called him this morning on his real number which he didn’t give me, he was shocked hence all the beggingjoyjoy So guys be very very careful.

The Begging Texts

I was sent a dm by this @unique_house_of_glamour person to help advertise his page on my page. I ask what they do and he/she said he sells children/adult shoes. I said to him I don't advertise pple I dnt know but I will place orders first for my daughter and if it's good I will advertise him.. I order a set of shoes for my son/daughter for 93k. But unknown to him I did a bank transfer and got his details from my SSSjoy.. HE FORGOT I AM A MILITARY WIFE. SINCE FRIDAY I DIDN'T SEE THE ORDERED AND HE QUICKLY BLOCKED ME FROM HIS PAGE... he didn't know I have his original details bcos they number on his page is fake. This morning I called his real number he picked and I introduced myself but he kept quiet. I then sent him a mgs and here is his reply. WHAT DO YOU THINK GUYS?

I was sent a dm by this @unique_house_of_glamour person to help advertise his page on my page. I ask what they do and he/she said he sells children/adult shoes. I said to him I don’t advertise pple I dnt know but I will place orders first for my daughter and if it’s good I will advertise him.. I order a set of shoes for my son/daughter for 93k. But unknown to him I did a bank transfer and got his details from my SSSjoy.. HE FORGOT I AM A MILITARY WIFE. SINCE FRIDAY I DIDN’T SEE THE ORDERED AND HE QUICKLY BLOCKED ME FROM HIS PAGE… he didn’t know I have his original details bcos they number on his page is fake. This morning I called his real number he picked and I introduced myself but he kept quiet. I then sent him a mgs and here is his reply. WHAT DO YOU THINK GUYS?

I replied his last message and asked him why didn't he just ask me for help instead of what he did. And here is his reply... Already my people are going to pick up the girl he used her bank details and him too will be picked up. Do you think my actions are wrong? His full details are with my pple and HD will be picked up soon.

I replied his last message and asked him why didn’t he just ask me for help instead of what he did. And here is his reply… Already my people are going to pick up the girl he used her bank details and him too will be picked up. Do you think my actions are wrong? His full details are with my pple and HD will be picked up soon.

Insta scam 1Insta scam 2

Unfortunately, most victims will not get their money back. Hopefully this will help prevent others from falling into the trap of these thieves.

1. Diary of a naija mom

December 9, 2015 at 8:58 am

You ain’t heartless to get justice, forget all the pleas and who knows if he is saying the truth. Pick him up and make him repay all those he scammed also with a public confession and apology on his IG page let it serve as a deterrent to others.

• Indianna Jones

December 9, 2015 at 11:12 am

“I am not the devil I portray myself to be kwa”?!!! Pissing myself!

2. Blondie

December 9, 2015 at 8:59 am

An eye-opener!!!

• Nnamdi Umahi

December 26, 2017 at 9:51 am

Is zarria_outfit_ng legit? I could not post an original comment so please anyone that see this help me out

3. zeal

December 9, 2015 at 9:08 am

Hian! see question o, biko your actions are sooooooo on point, you have no idea how i just wanna hug you right now for doing this. I do not pay for goods I do not use my korokoro eyes to see, lai lai! no be me. But i understand how he feels about asking people for help to start something of your own and getting NONE because this also has happened to me is and is still happening to me as i am still asking for help whilst saving gradually; but that is not an excuse to go into scamming. So if he was not caught red handed, na so e for just waka commot and still continue doing same. SMH. I pray he gets the needed help if he is being honest about starting up something of his own.

4. Bolly T.

December 9, 2015 at 9:13 am

He is lying, he is a thief and he ll keep begged you and he ll never refund u. I was a victim too of 100k, by one @_infinitywears on same instagram and now he has change his display name on instagram, he blocked me too after paying him. Pls expose and deal with him for others to learn, and @ BN pls publish the account details he sent her, thanks

• bumble bee

December 9, 2015 at 9:38 am

OMG I finished typing my comment before I read yours they defrauded me too, I put it up on my ig page warning people about them, before they blocked me they were infinitywears, when they defrauded me, they changed their Ig handle and blocked me

• J'adur

December 9, 2015 at 3:34 pm

Please, I need an urgent hook-up with her SSS source. Paid for human hair worth 260 pounds to a Barclays account with name Chrisie Vindu on instagram with handle @hair_bundle_sales_ and the items are yet to be delivered! Rather, the person keeps posting new images on the ig page and saying nothing about the orders I placed and delivery!

HELP!

5. IG @bambiniworld

December 9, 2015 at 9:32 am

The guy is a thief, plain and simple! He’s only apologising cos he was caught. What of the many ppl that he must have also blocked off?
    On the other hand, ppl need to play safe. I personally can’t give 90k to someone I don’t know from Adam and can’t verify his business details. I also advertise my goods on Instagram, but I always arrange to meet up with prospective buyers.( for now I am still operating within Lagos alone) I go with my POS, or accept cash and cheques. So this is a lesson for all to learn from. There are still honest ppl out there tho

• Lala

December 9, 2015 at 4:47 pm

You have to be careful meeting people to pay for things. I am in London so I just hand all my stuff over to Jumia Nigeria and I have been satisfied with their work so far. I just display my stock on my website- zukywholesale.weebly.com and allow people shop items on Jumia. The only issue is the crash of the naira…… how do people manage to cope with this naira, I don’t know? I just want to get my cash out, that’s all.

6. bumble bee

December 9, 2015 at 9:34 am

I have been a victim of instagram fraudster and trust me I have no pity for this guy cos I lost my money and didn’t get it back, the instagram name was infinity wears with phone no: 09031753738, ordered for some items, paid 35k for it as soon as he got the alert, he blocked me on ig, whatsapp, changed his instagram name and that’s how I lost my money. Since then I swore never to do pay b4 delivery ever again, if I want to order I pay on delivery.. learnt this the hard way.

7. Bella

December 9, 2015 at 9:37 am

Your actions are not heartless, as i have always said, it is a choice he took to go this route. You have saved a lot of people heartache and sleepless nights over their hard earned money and the fact if, if he hadnt been caught by you, he would have happilly scammed more and more innocent people. Yes he must pay you back the money and then you can let him go and only then. How can people be so ruthless, we are all trying to make a living but then why take the left route and try and scam people who are trying to assist you and assist themselves as well. He must pay you all he owes or face his work and get jailed! Which 6 siblings? Common thief.

8. Oluchi

December 9, 2015 at 9:39 am

You are doing the right thing. Preventing others from being scammed. By the way, the scammer’s sense of entitlement is huge. Who are you to the popular Nigerians? Brother? Nephew? Uncle? Cousin? You think it’s easy for them to help everyone who sends them SOS mails? Instead of you to find something worthwhile to raise funds, you embrace scam. Don’t worry, when you get punishment for your offence, your brain will reset. By the way, I love nhncouture! Her words of inspiration and encouragement makes my hope stronger.

9. Ola

December 9, 2015 at 9:43 am

I was a victim of one @bellabeauty_collections too, She is a scam as well

• Ola 2

December 9, 2015 at 3:47 pm

I was also a victim of the same @bellabeauty_collections too. It’s just a pity they do these to block ways for the genuine ones cuz I can never do IG purchase anymore.

• Lala

December 9, 2015 at 4:58 pm

You’ll stop buying from Instagram o! I sell all sorts of good quality stuff from Next, Marks and Spencer, Asos, and other brands. My prices are extremely affordable as well, my items are on up to 50% sales now, so, you can buy a Marks and Spencer gown for as low as N4.500. Check for Zukywholesale on Jumia. I have got faux leather bags as well and with Jumia- you pay only on delivery. Chau

10. Its a lie

December 9, 2015 at 9:46 am

He is lying. He’s trying to play on emotions just like every scammer knows how to do best. It’s always in a bid for better living. Please! One scammed me before and if not that I somehow met someone who knew her personally, my 30k would have been gone with the wind. I ordered for waist trainer and the chick gave me the specs I thought were heavenly. Delivery and all cost 30k. When the thing arrived what I saw was Yaba girdle. Aunty deleted me on bbm and Whatsapp and blocked me on Facebook cos that’s where I found her. I was just lucky to find her through a mutual friend and when we confronted her at her place of work she started giving me cock and bull stories.

11. Ola

December 9, 2015 at 9:48 am

Here is the mobile number on the instagram page (08165906222), She blocked me on Instagram and whatsapp and does not pick my calls either

12. Zee

December 9, 2015 at 9:49 am

You didn’t do wrong dear. A certain guy used my friends bank acct details to scam people. She didn’t know until she was confronted by her bank abt the issue.
    I am so worried abt what would happen next when all the people he scamed come for her. He is only sorry because he got caught. Why did he block you in the first place? He is not sorry,biko!

13. Miss_Flygerian

December 9, 2015 at 10:02 am

Stories that touch, that’s all I could make out from the guy’s messages and explanations. Have him arrested jare. This is why I don’t do instagram shopping. How do you tell who is genuine and who is fake?

14. DLP

December 9, 2015 at 10:17 am

You are far from heartless

15. jess

December 9, 2015 at 10:25 am

Please who parts with his/her money without seeing the goods? NEVER! I don’t mind paying for delivery but I must see the product first .Asides from the scammers ,what if they put up a picture of something and send you something else? who has time to chase someone for refund etc.

16. cheryl

December 9, 2015 at 10:30 am

wow!! dis is indeed an eye opener, dis ppl will jst spoil business 4 those genuine marketers, my colleague too was scammed by one guy that promised a cheap data, I actually blamed him for being greedy but this one I jst read heeennn, odikwa risky, pls guys lets b very careful wit these faceless vendors on social media

17. Ladybird

December 9, 2015 at 10:38 am

(sigh)… some people may disagree with me..but I think Instagram should not be used to conduct business……its a photo sharing website….. where you share your personal photos… memories. & videos… so I really don’t understand why people come on it to conduct business ..n half of the time you cant even be sure if the person selling is genuine or not…

• Idomagirl

December 10, 2015 at 5:54 am

Even if people want to conduct business, I’d rather it’s with a business with a physical address…go there And see the shop and the goods with your two eyes.

18. Yeye

December 9, 2015 at 10:43 am

I have been a victim. The name of this store was ‘Sweetney Trend’, on Instagram too. The lady or the guy, whatever it was even said it had a shop in Osun state, requesting for me to come down #kidnappingtins. I ordered for a shoe, unfortunately i paid before delivery. the day of delivery came and it was stories upon stories. i got blocked on WhatsApp. i went to embarrass the thing of IG and that was when people started opening up that that same person had scammed them. i wonder why they didn’t speak up before i did.

19. Grace

December 9, 2015 at 11:32 am

This just brought back a memory at about same time now last year,saw one on IG who says she is based in UK. Bought some items worth 45k i even introduced my sisters who ordered and paid for their own items too worth 25k till date we never got it. I contacted her she started with she is a student, ill and all that she was gonna pay back but never did. i just tagged it”bad market” na so my money go o. Since then if you dont accept “pay on delivery” i aint buying#shikena.

20. Lara

December 9, 2015 at 12:38 pm

They are increasing by the day o,I also paid 10,000 for a dress that was never delivered. Immediately I asked for my dress the babe blocked me in Instagram…..next I chatted with her on Whatsapp she said she will refund my money in 14 days. ..I AM JUST WAITING FOR THE 14 DAYS BEFORE I START MY OWN DISCLAIMER TOO!!!

21. miss H

December 9, 2015 at 1:40 pm

I’ve been a victim, I paid so guy who goes by t name Gabriel Chimela Mong for 40 selfie sticks . Since August till today. I hasn’t picked my call. Again.

22. Amina

December 9, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Gbaam @ Grace. Its a deal breaker for me if you don’t accept ‘pay on delivery’. I no fit shout.

23. Udegbunam Chukwudi

December 9, 2015 at 2:59 pm

Chai! Abeg arrest and deal with am properly. So pipul dey actually shop on top instagram?! I’m too paranoid for that ish abeg.

24. Single Shalewa, Bitter Bintu!

December 9, 2015 at 3:04 pm

Maybe it’s just me, but I’m not that buoyant to send money to a NIGERIAN on social media without getting my goods first. In fact, the moment you say you can’t do pay on delivery, i just zone out. No matter how fancy the damn item is.
    We should understand that scammers, ritualists etc all have access to SM and these people have upgraded real bad. We should be careful sha.

25. Daisy

December 9, 2015 at 3:15 pm

Trust some evil twerps to give us online sellers a bad name. I run a business that has been selling strictly through social media since 2009. I have motor bikes that deliver for cash upon order delivery within the city I live and full advance payment for clients outside the city. Not once have even delayed dispatching an order. I actually speed up if it’s an out of city order as most people have trust issues. I exceed expectations and has therefore seen my business growing each year to the extent that I resigned for my well paid job years ago. You still have people who won’t order unless they see the item and I dont stress myself dealing with such as online shopping isn’t for anyone. I make weekly what a posh boutique owner won’t see in months without paying for shop rent etc. Folks like this give us a bad name. A bit relieved my business isn’t based in Nigeria though. Some people are pure evil!

26. Presh

December 9, 2015 at 6:50 pm

You are not heartless at all. There are so many others out there. Please have him arrested. There’s an account in instagram that exposes them @online_scam_accounts Bella you could help people know about the account so they can be careful

27. Immy

December 9, 2015 at 8:51 pm

This is sad tho. I started my business online an it’s been on for the last 3yrs. The usual comment I get from first timers is the fear of being scammed which is very understandable. I have been scammed as a seller too after a customer’s package was delivered to Abuja . She blocked me on whatsapp and Instagram and unsubscribed on BBM Channel.

28. Stella

December 9, 2015 at 9:20 pm

They dupped me as well, their so so called business is brandlovers_trending_store and their bank account details are Segbenu Omoteni Elizabeth.Gtbank: 019958663. People should be really becarful. And it’s even better one pays on delivery cos of all this mess. Am sorry for the innocent online stores.

29. Ebere

December 10, 2015 at 12:36 am

Hmmmmm!!!!!!December extravaganza….

30. Idomagirl

December 10, 2015 at 5:56 am

And the thief is busy mentioning God and his pastor, just imagine. You didn’t remember God when you were scamming people?

31. Wole

December 10, 2015 at 6:49 am

Idiots like this fool is making business difficult for small enterprise like us, we try and market on Facebook , and no one wants to make payment unless they see goods, because if bastard beast goat like you

32. Deji

December 11, 2015 at 2:38 pm

The same bloody idiot used my pictures on that Instagram name to make it look like I ripped people off their money which I finally yesterday went with a lawyer to FSars to make a report / Statement . Please Bellanaija apart from the report i have made , I need your help to redeem my image from this bloody impersonator !! As this is affecting my own personal marketing on Instagram and my integrity !!

33. blessing Ebere

December 11, 2015 at 11:19 pm

Just like daisy said such evil people give the honest ones, bad names. Recently did a promo on clean 9 and still doing till December ends, and I discovered to my dismay that most deliveries I made, outside lagos where I am based, each and everyone of them were so scared I wouldn’t deliver after they had paid me. I had to ask one of my customers to send me her acct details to rewire a balance of 10k out of 25k she sent, as an extra order she wanted which wasnt part of wat i advertised, was out of stock, and wen she received her original order and her 10k alert, both she and her husband couldn’t believe it. They couldn’t stop appreciating me. The fear I saw and experienced was so real and I never had to blame any one of them, as I truly understand, it is not easy one bit, parting with your hard earned money to a stranger you ve never met. But nevertheless the honest ones are still around, and it is also difficult for us to send a product to people outside your base without confirmation of payment. But within lagos, I do pay on delivery. May God bless everyone of us.

34. Iyaoyinda1

December 28, 2015 at 6:33 pm

This is so disheartening (I am in tears as i write)…… I must speak up now becos i have tried to bear this to n avail(if only i had known). I established contact with this so called person on instagram; went ahead to chat her up and all that. we became friends on BBM. I was so sure i had taken all precaution…… we chatted regularly on BB, telephone ( her digits 07083286417, her sister’s digit aka partner in crime 08039266677) she is a northerner to be precise she lives in Kaduna ( my growing up days had been in that town ….. my second home)
    Being a single-mother, finance can be a bit tight and all. I took time to explain to her and she pretended to go along. Her IG page is @classic_collectionss . The bags i paid for never came since 21st August, 2015 till date. The Account number used : First Bank 3054949820 KAFUR MOHAMMED AWWAL amount paid N27,000
    From the moment the payment was made, her phone gradually stopped going thru, BB messages would deliver days later and then the stories started rolling in….. my step mom died, i was praying, my phone was charging when you called, i have sent the bags via dispatch to lagos it will be delivered tomorrow, send your acct number for a refund, i have sent someone to the bank etc. Since the advent of Tru-caller (They know all my numbers now)….Now she stopped taking my calls i have pleaded, shouted, subtly threatened, cried and pleaded yet again all to no avail. On a good day i would have ignored it all but i couldn’t even afford school fees for my child this past term …. I only wanted to splurge on me for once in my life….. here i am…… its quite depressing to know that you have saved all that money for someone else. Please anyone with info on how these persons can be caught or how to proceed please try and say something. They have no chills!!!!

35. polly

January 14, 2016 at 3:44 pm

@shopperspace_beutik and @urbanoutfit8…. these two accounts are fraudulent too…. been a victim too… and i’m definitely not doing instagram shopping ever again but please beware!

36. Joyce

September 17, 2016 at 11:00 pm

Hi, please how do I inform instagram users that unisex_9ja now unisex_body care is a scammer. I was recently scammed, paid for some products and it was never delivered. She or he stopped replying my pings and stopped picking my calls. She said her name is osezuwa and based in Benin and that sjphe delivrs through gig logistics. I reported to instagram and posted some comments on some pages but was blocked from posting further comments. I just noticed from my dm messages to her on instagram that’s she has changed the page name to unisex_body care but still has the same phone no and BBM pin. Thanks for your help, I don’t want someone else being a victim.

37. Joyce

September 17, 2016 at 11:02 pm

Sorry, the new page is unisex_bodycare

38. Anonymous

December 30, 2016 at 6:47 am

My sister also had an experience with @fashionclothier_closiety. After receiving the alert of 30k they have refused to pick her calls and blocked her on instagram. They are fraudsters

39. Madhumita Bisht

March 1, 2017 at 7:13 am

I am stuck in the same problme. sOme page by the id name didnt send my parcel after i paid then 515rs for the products 1 week ago. Please help me.. what i can do? I paid them through paytm.

40. Farbod

June 16, 2018 at 10:12 pm

Hello my name is Farbod and me and some friends have been scammed by this page on instagram in india “the_brand_factory01” they accepted our order and after sending the money didnt send the products and blocked us on instagram .. please dont send or buy anything from this cheaters we have filed a police complaint against them and the cops said if you dont receive your money within 7 days they will trace their bank account and put them in jail but please dont buy anything they are just cheaters i repeat “the_brand_factory01” = cheater = spam