Features

#BN2015Epilogues: Berry’s Year in Numbers

BellaNaija.com

dreamstime_l_25786374Happy new year to all our readers! As promised, we are continuing the 2015 Epilogues due to the volume of responses we got. We’d like to thank every one who sent an entry, and if you sent your story before the 15th of December 2015, you will see it published on BellaNaija.

If you’re reading this and wondering, ‘What on earth is the series about?’ please catch up HERE.

***

I grappled quite a bit with writing this post. Earlier in the year I had quite an unpleasant experience that made me want to withdraw into myself and stop posting on other platforms that were not my blog or African Naturalistas. However, I met someone recently who made me come to the realization that while sharing life publicly can attract unkind people, if even one person is touched or impacted positively, then I can and should feel free to share away. And share, I shall. I’ll do it slightly differently than the other Epilogue writers though – here are my numbers in no particular order.

20 – The number of pounds I gained last year and aimed to lose in 2015.

14 – The number of pounds I lost by mid-year.

10 – The number of pounds I have gained back in the past 3 months because I stopped working out and eating properly. I’ve come to see that I can’t eat right OR exercise – I must do BOTH together.

200, 2000 – The number of skips/jump ropes I could do when I first tried (per workout session); the number I could do at my peak.

11 – The number of times I cried because instead of a positive pregnancy result, I got my period. I hope and pray it’s not 12.

42 – The longest number of days I went without seeing aforementioned period, when I truly thought, “SURELY, THIS TIME!”

1000 – The amount people paid (in NGN, not USD) to meet and greet with me and fellow bloggers, Tuke Morgan and Cassie Daves.

4 – The number of road trips I’ve been on this year. I traveled by car/bus from Lagos to Ibadan (with Naija Treks), Abuja, Ekpoma in Edo State (both times with the hubby because we had to deliver cakes and attend events); from Atlanta to Boston and back (with my siblings).

08094263869 – The number you can call to order cakes from my husband :p

36 – The number of days I read from the 365 Chronological Bible reading plan. This is so shameful. I try every year and fail woefully. Stupidly enough, I did better this year than last year. Progress? Okay okay, no it’s not progress.

≆ 846 – The number of times I imagined pouring water on my husband’s Playstation 4.

≆ 846 – The number of pieces my phone would have broken into if I tried the aforementioned stunt.

2 – The number of years we’ve been married. There have been great and awesome times. There have been low and very dark times. That’s marriage.

750,000+ – The number of views my blog reached not too long ago. Some may scoff at the low number, some may be amazed at the high number, at the end of the day, it’s MY number.

90, 80, 65 – The age my grandfather turned; the age my grandmother turned; and the number of years they’ve been married. How’s that for #GOALS

550 million – 850 million – The number (depending on who you ask) that made me finally put Google Ads on my blog. I may not be able to buy a house yet, but it’s a start!

37 – The number of times I attempted to put on strip eyelashes by myself. I failed 36 times. I’m not sure if I’ve quit trying.

∞ (Infinity) – The number of times I messed up, was dramatic, did something stupid, etc.

∞ + 1 – The number of times God forgave me for the above, plus one extra for the next time.

That’s it for 2015. I pray for a better, joyous, fruitful (literally and figuratively), productive year in 2016. Berry Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to the BN Team and Fans worldwide.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime

1. Ky

January 11, 2016 at 12:20 pm

Was an interesting read.. I wish you greater things this New Year and I pray you get your positive PT very soon in Jesus’ name!

2. Alice

January 11, 2016 at 12:27 pm

I don’t get it? Do you pay people to attend meet and greet ?
    Is that how it works?

3. prince

January 11, 2016 at 12:51 pm

550million, I need to start blogging ASAP

4. Niyoola

January 11, 2016 at 12:59 pm

You’ll get your BFP soon :* :*

5. Cocolette

January 11, 2016 at 1:06 pm

Hi Berry, nice read. I’m not close to you and I’m not a fervent reader of your blog either but for some reason i thought of you yesterday. My prayer is that God gives you that positive result this year, i can’t imagine the anxiety especially being in the ‘public eye’ and having to deal with questions from well-wishers and not-so-well-wishers. Please don’t despair, keep up with the weight loss (and maybe do a hormone profile in a hospital if you haven’t yet). Wishing you all the best of 2016

6. whocares

January 11, 2016 at 1:22 pm

Ahh Berry I enjoyed reading this. I rarely click on this issue but I knew I was interested in reading yours. I was not disappointed. The highs and the lows and you were open and honest about it. Thank you. I hope you have a wonderful year ahead of you, and those pesky set backs with the period, dont worry 12 will be = 1+2=3 .. the number of babies God wants to give you at once #youfitmanage? loool..

7. Chinma Eke

January 11, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Aaawww Berry, I love your epilogues! I can see 2015 was a good year, I pray 2016 is better for you (with all your prayers answered). Have a great year!

8. Tincan

January 11, 2016 at 1:58 pm

Hey, I love how you’ve done this. I think I remember the unpleasant events you are referring to. It is well, really, it is. I failed at doing the bible in a year too and got quite depressed but I got a reassuring word at the end of the year. It ain’t always about the quantity or the work. Sometimes the heart and quality is enough. Don’t worry, God’s got you. Have a fabulous 2016 and stay with Him.

9. Aleesha

January 11, 2016 at 3:23 pm

This was an interesting read Berry!
    Hope you have a greater 2016. Here’s to the blogging $$$$$ and the baby(ies) real soon.
    God bless

• Berry Dakara

January 16, 2016 at 8:04 pm

Thanks Aleesha. Amen!!!

10. Mz Socially Awkward...

January 11, 2016 at 3:33 pm

Yay, Berry! Nne, na your brake light be this? You’ve been missed… and who you talk say dey find ya trouble? Kwik-kwik, tell us, so we can go “form arms and feet” like Voltron. ?

Online bullies are the new face of terrorism after ISIL, luv – don’t let them win.

Those numbers for your grandparents are something else. Can’t lie that I panicked at the idea of a couple having spent 65 years together already… I mean, see where I neva even begin count my own from zero! Nne, we’re all aboard this worry wagon where delay is involved but hope springs eternal… SURELY THIS TIME. ?

The “You version” app helped me reach that Bible completion goal and I’m hard pressed to find anyone that finished it in a year (16 months for me). As Tincan says, treasure the pearls instead of rushing through it. Your year can start and pause whenever you decide.

Really pleased to hear the blog numbers are on the up! $50 becomes $500 then $50,000…. As my people say, anytime you wake na that one be your morning. May God’s blessings of fruitfulness be yours in 2016!

11. Notanutellalover?

January 12, 2016 at 6:16 am

Hugggggs Berry! May God give you a new song this season. He said He will do a new thing. His Grace will continue to be present in your life and all your endeavours. Dont stop trusting God, we will celebrate with you in your due season.
    Ps. I have missed seeing your posts, dont let the bullies get to you.
    Wishing you all the best 2016 has for you.❤️❤️❤️

• Berry Dakara

January 16, 2016 at 7:59 pm

Thanks for the hugs! Amen to all your prayers!

You can visit my blog to see posts there 🙂

PS. How on earth can you NOT love Nutella?!?!?!?!?

12. Nedoux

January 12, 2016 at 1:09 pm

Merry Berry,

Your openness is so endearing.

I really enjoyed reading this, you wrote it beautfully, balancing humour and depth.

I wish you happiness this New Year. Everything good will come!

• Berry Dakara

January 16, 2016 at 7:57 pm

Thanks a lot Nedoux. You always have kind words to give out

13. God bless Berry

January 12, 2016 at 3:38 pm

I loved reading this. God bless you Berry. Whatever you ask for in 2016, from your lips to God’s ears. It is well with you. Receive your miracles in Jesus Name!!

• Berry Dakara

January 15, 2016 at 5:02 pm

Awww, thank you very much. Amen!

14. martinson oluwaseun

January 13, 2016 at 9:13 am

fabulous-the style!

15. Blackbeauty

January 14, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Nicely written dear.
    2016 shall be to you, all that you want it to IJN. Your babies will come and you will thank God for His perfect timing.

• Berry Dakara

January 15, 2016 at 5:00 pm

Amen. Thank you very much

16. Berry Dakara

January 16, 2016 at 7:56 pm

Thanks a lot Nedoux. You always have very kind words to give out.

17. D

January 16, 2016 at 8:13 pm

Lovely… and thank God for that forgiveness, for grace and second chances. Praying for a wonderful 2016 for us all, and lots of progress and good news for you and yours.