Features

Ene Abah: A Ban on Imported Potatoes? Then Let’s Buy From Plateau State

Ene AbahI walked into KFC Asokoro at lunch time two days ago. It happens to be the closest place to buy food to my place of work. I asked for fries but the ladies behind the counter pointed at a notice and it read something like “due to government policies, we cannot sell fries at the moment”. I asked what the policy was and they reminded me of the ban on certain imports. I burst out laughing and asked almost rhetorically, why local potatoes were not good enough to be used.

I looked at the menu wondering what else I could have, then I asked for a zinger burger but was told again that there were no burgers. I was shocked this time and asked rhetorically again, if Nigeria lacked bread. I asked the ladies what they had to offer and was told rice and chicken. I was in no mood to eat rice, fries were top on my list as I had not had any in such a long time! I thanked the ladies for their time and I left KFC for another place that had fries and are happy to work with what is produced locally, but that left me literally in shock and I spent the whole day wondering.

From a business perspective – Is importing most of the things that are used a good way to run a business?

– Costs must be incurred with the imports and clearing, then when there are delays, some of those goods could get damaged/bad.

– On the other hand, when a government takes a decision to ban certain imports as is the case in Nigeria at the moment, the business can run down as there will be little or nothing left to serve customers with.

– Even if there must be imports, I find it odd that there will be no back up plan put in place for mishaps.

Nigeria happens to be a country that’s rich in agriculture and the products in questions, potato and bread, could be sourced locally. Plateau State probably has the best potatoes in Nigeria so why not get some from there?

One other thing I believe international brands try to do is to give back to the country they operate in. So apart from those already employed, this is a way for KFC to have a very high number of employees by encouraging the use of local products/produce and probably this could serve as a way to empower more people to spend time investing in local products/produce which would compete with products/produce anywhere else, some form of CSR, no?

When I narrated this to my colleague, it annoyed her and her only comment was “so they are willing to take our money but not use local products? She concluded by saying the government can continue to ban such imports so that only companies ready to use local products/produce can remain”.

Are these thoughts mine alone? What are your thoughts on this?

Ene Abah is an adventure lover, naturalista, food lover, travel lover, writer and is particular about sending positive vibes to others. Some of her interests are in writing, travelling, reading and generally enjoying life. Ene’s writing has been published in Top Chic magazine, Imbue magazine and on Imbue's website. She blogs at http://belletammy.blogspot.com.ng/ Follow her on Twitter @tammyabah and on instagram @belle.tammy

1. Nuna

February 26, 2016 at 11:48 am

Is this a modified post of one Olufunke Phillips on facebook?

• Nuna z

February 26, 2016 at 12:33 pm

Nuna, caged full house wife.
      Leave here and go face your marriage
      jobless much

• Nuna

February 26, 2016 at 1:21 pm

HAHHAHAHA I have seen you little boy.
      Now run along.
      Monitoring spirit of life. Talmbout being jobless

• Ene Abah

February 26, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Oh absolutely not. I wrote about this on my page and a friend referred me to Olufunke’s post on facebook saying someone else experienced same. That says to me that we aren’t the only ones who experienced this.

• Nuna

February 26, 2016 at 2:18 pm

Nice of you to reply. Just needed a clarification and for the records, you are absolutely right!

• Iris

February 26, 2016 at 3:00 pm

Yes i thought the exact thing about Olufunke Phillips. I cannot believe we were importing the potatoes. Then again in a lot of fast food places they come frozen in a bag. We obviously need to look into preservation too.

• Stella

March 1, 2016 at 3:30 pm

Nuna the reason why they use foreign potatoes is because of the climate our potatoes(Irish) have less starch and is best for baking not frying.They need an atmosphere that is cold at night to grow better even though Jos is cold it is not enough to give such quality, The bread aspect is totally wrong.

• Plagiarism Police

February 26, 2016 at 2:58 pm

I saw this same post on Funke Philips’s Facebook page yesterday. So, did this writer REALLY EXPERIENCED the same thing or she just copied from funk’s page and added her on Jara.

Uhm. If it;s from funke philips’s Facebook page, she needs to cite her sources and give appropriate credit to her source.

• Abz

February 26, 2016 at 5:37 pm

So, if one person experiences it and writes about it, don’t you think there’s a high chance of someone else experiencing the same? Think before you throw silly accusations.

• Seriously

February 27, 2016 at 2:39 pm

Nigerians import things, they can easily produce. I guess, lack of consistent electricity is the cause of the major problems. From foods to all the beautiful Ankara, lace, outfits Nigerians spend money on. The solution is not just oil, let’s find ways to start manufacturing.

2. True talk

February 26, 2016 at 11:56 am

I support the ban on the importation of potatoes,it’s so unfair when we have potatoes locally grown and it’s imported from God knows where.

3. keke driver

February 26, 2016 at 11:57 am

God’ll help us o.

4. Samuel

February 26, 2016 at 12:05 pm

This is the saddest thing I’ve seen today. So they can’t use the one harvested from here. Wow. Even though in their defense some of the products (finished, raw) that we make in Nigeria, we really put poor effort in making them. No wonder the Dollar to Naira is at an all time high. In my opinion, this classifies as frivolous forex request, if kfc approaches a bank for fx. This is an economic opportunity to take advantage of as an individual (wish I were in naija at this moment) start a farm or if the government can put more effort in teaching our unemployed youths how to run a business and form business partnerships amongst themselves (legally binding), instead of everyone opening a shop of their own, especially when they lack the know how.

5. Amy

February 26, 2016 at 12:08 pm

I totally Agree with your colleague!!!!

6. slice

February 26, 2016 at 12:14 pm

I think it wld taste a little different tho and for those who hv lived “in the abroad” and are craving a certain taste, just any won’t work. But they can definitely hv the naija one as an option.

Plus most big brands buy pretreated and precut fries from big suppliers. They don’t do the work in house

• June

February 26, 2016 at 1:54 pm

Move back abroad so you can enjoy the “foreign” taste you are craving for. 2016 we have stopped killing ourselves and our country for yeye foreign things.

• slice

February 27, 2016 at 3:39 pm

U guys pls read the comments below before u react to my comment above. Its nt a foreign taste. Its a KFC fries taste.
      If all these differences don’t matter, why do u think the u.s. allows Africans to import yams. There are diff types of yam already available in the states but we pass the American grocery store and go to the African one buy a specific yam. What if America wakes up one day and says no more importation of Ghana or naija yam?
      Me sef I don try for this topic. Read the other comments below. They explained in more detail

• seriously

February 26, 2016 at 6:51 pm

@Slice

Come back here and taste all the GM, full of chemicals, and hormones foods. Then you wonder why we Americans are suffering from all types of illness, sickness and disorders. Its the food. We are trying to be more green yet nigerians who have access to natural food products are craving artificial foods. Brainwashing is the result of believing local products are nothing special compared to west

• Johnny

February 27, 2016 at 3:01 am

You are joking, right! Please, you know nothing about potatoes so just stop. Jeez, ignorance is truly dangerous.
      Just to help you, potatoes from Plateau state may be better than elsewhere but the main issue is in the processing. There is nothing more..

• slice

February 27, 2016 at 11:42 am

Eeeyah

• Bee

February 27, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Are you for real? Foreign tasting potatoes? What does that even mean?

• BAHAHAHA

February 28, 2016 at 2:54 am

Our people love blind arguments die especially online. You don try for sure 🙂

7. E.A

February 26, 2016 at 12:15 pm

I agree with your friend, but also I think we as a country are also to blame- we have a culture of believing anything from abroad is better than home grown. Perhaps the only positive outcome from this economic disaster is to encourage us to use our products. But also help us to get t=rid of our stupid politicians from the North to the South. We might agree that there are agriculture in the North, but they get no support from their leaders who are equally as corrupt as the rest. People need investment in order to sell, but also transportation and electricity.

8. Luchi

February 26, 2016 at 12:15 pm

I am pissed?
    They are seriously crazy.
    How on earth are imported potatoes better than the one grown in Jos.
    These people are opportunistic.
    So they cant get a supplier for potato.
    ON the other hand it’s an opportunity for an unemployed person to find out what needs to be done to supply them potatoes. Do they want it peeled? Frozen etc.

9. June

February 26, 2016 at 12:15 pm

Interesting write up. Are we surprised? Foreign companies have ABSOLUTELY NO INTEREST in the development of our country. It’s only about the money they can make of us and turn around and act like they are a blessing ! If they cannot adopt local ingredients to their menu- the door is your front!

10. Nadia

February 26, 2016 at 12:17 pm

So all that dollar chasing and naira falling was to import bread and potato?….hian!!! And we cry and blame govt for the current unemployment rate. Businesses cream off such huge profits in Nigeria and just ship the money to their home countries. Its time to give back. #IstandwiththeNaira

11. Ryam

February 26, 2016 at 12:21 pm

The government should actual ban all pruducts that are produced here, they want to invest, they should follow the rules and conditions, they cant, they should leave, someone else will agree with that, if all African countries could stand on that, we will go far, like seriously imported potatoes, are they better than local one, but I don’t understand Nigeria even imported rice from Thailand is common dan local rice, and people prefer imported one, these things should stop abeg

12. chichi

February 26, 2016 at 12:28 pm

That’s quite interesting and makes no sense why KFC wont use local grown, but of course their contract is with another company. To me and you fries is fries but its possible the local grown potatoes doesn’t meet their standards as not all potatoes are the same or taste the same. Also will the local company cut it into fries size? Is there a factory to do this proficiently? All of these things will have to be considered. Its probably easier and cheaper to wait for the ban to be lifted than put all of these things in place here. Quite frankly I don’t need KFC, I’m happy without them, I love Chicken Republic although I’m not sure they are home grown either. I still would prefer if we have our own home grown companies offering similar products items. I can and will support it. Benue state is a farming state, and it shows as the state is pretty poor, people there would love the challenge, they just need the government to allow this country to produce at a rate that makes money and buy from its farms.

13. just bored

February 26, 2016 at 12:59 pm

Funny the British will gladly say ‘The meat or chicken is sourced from local farmers in the UK’. It is ridiculous KFC imports potatoes. Guys, we all need to stand with Buhari on this one… #stopridiculousitemimportation

14. Ej

February 26, 2016 at 1:51 pm

Is any of our makeup goods manufactured here? Mehn we have a long way to go in Nigeria

15. I just waka come...

February 26, 2016 at 1:52 pm

Ever since I read a comment on a particular blog of how an early morning customer walked into a VERY popular eatery (name withheld so that bellanaija will not fear to publish my comment) and saw a worker injecting chicken parts waiting to be sold to innocent people like you and I…. since that day….

• Nuna

February 26, 2016 at 2:19 pm

Blood of God!

16. mrs chidukane

February 26, 2016 at 1:59 pm

Taste different? I am a potato head and potato na potato to me sha. I personally don’t notice any difference. My only thing is maybe the size may be smaller than what she wants. Shame on kfc

• The Cake Lady

February 26, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Actually, there is a difference in taste. The potatoes from Jos are starchy and are usually large and have a pale yellow color; while the ones grown in Hunkuyi, Kaduna state are very sweet with a darker colour. There’s another type: Red skin with a very pale almost white color and tastes a bit bland. Not sure where it’s grown

• slice

February 26, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Nah all potatoes are nt created equal. Lol. Even difft colors sef. Blindfold me and give checkers mcd or Wendy’s fries n I can tell u which one I’m eating. Even American companies import many foods. Its nt unique to us. Salmon from china to the u.s. etc

The govt shd realize when these companies come in to the country, they count the cost. It doesn’t make for attractive investment ground when u start increasing the cost arbitrarily

17. Anon

February 26, 2016 at 2:08 pm

I worked in a SubWay store in UK and sauces were imported!

• Tt

February 26, 2016 at 3:16 pm

So? Because UK imports sauces Nigeria should import potatoes. Does UK have a currency crisis?! NO.

18. Bowl

February 26, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Jos grown potatoes are finely scented and taste better than some of the one s from these other African countries. Guess what Nigerians, potatoe as an economy crop sells faster than Rice any day . Beyond Jos and some other northern towns ,can also be grown with great success in heavy rain southern areas. It would interest us to know that even Cameroon exports their bland potatoes to Nigeria.and It is still big market. all these fast foods should pls chil and source for these things locally. Even Shoprite, should be encouraged to source for most of their vegetables locally. They are not doing enough!

19. Niyoola

February 26, 2016 at 2:38 pm

I get the sentiment behind this article, but have you ever tried to fry Naija potatoes?
    Yup, they don’t turn out crispy, don’t maintain their shape, and the taste is more starchy than your regular ‘fries’.

This means we need to plant the right specie, cut and process it before it gets to KFC.

Now, have you ever tried to set up a food processing business in Nigeria? Have you had to pay up to 1 million naira in bribes to Nafdac to issue you number/license?
    Have you witnessed the FGN, State Govt and Local Govt ‎apply multiple taxation to your business while not giving you anything in return? No water, roads, transport infrastructure, security or power?

My uncle tried to set up a factory in the north east. He gave up and started importing‎. It cost him roughly the same amount to transport production items from Lagos to North East as it did to import FINISHED goods from China (this even after heavy bribes paid to customs officers o) So tell me, as someone who is trying to make a profit, wich is the better option? How exactly are we to proceed?

The government is the one standing in the way of us consuming Naija made products.‎

It’s easy to say buy potatoes from Jos, but it’s naive to think it’s that easy.

I support buying Naija produce, but let’s not be in a hurry to jump on the buy Naija bandwagon‎. A lot has to be done to get it right.

• Word

February 26, 2016 at 2:53 pm

Niyoola, God bless you for speaking the truth and being objective. Africans are too emotional. We need to be pragmatic and be honest to ourselves. The problem is our bureaucratic government.

• Nuna

February 26, 2016 at 3:01 pm

I agree with you about having to fix up a lot of nonsense that goes on in this country before this whole buyNigerian ish can genuinely take off. Mindsets, electricity, transportation being at the fore front. Because we can talk from now till tomorrow and Jesus wont come down and save us. I’ve been thinking of food production as a side hustle mostly yogurt and juice manufacturing, but when I remember how much I have to spend to power that Mikano generator, saliva just fills my mouth

• Iris

February 26, 2016 at 3:09 pm

I agree with most of what you said but I am curious about the potatoes. Are you sure it is a species thing? I have tried to make sweet potato fries in North America and they don’t turn out like they do in restaurants. I have a feeling the same is true for regular fries. I think the way they are cut has something to do with it. They also use deep fryers with way hotter temps than a frying pan on a cooker and a shorter frying time. I think that creates the crispiness, plus they fry them from frozen i think.. then there’s the possibility of preservatives. I heard there was a story floating around about someone who left a McDonald’s meal out for months and it didn’t go bad. I pray that’s a terrible lie.

• Mama Saffron

February 26, 2016 at 3:39 pm

It is a specie thing. Like apples, there are different species of potatoes and each type has it’s uses. Some potatoes are good for roasting, some are good for shipping etc. If you walk into a supermarket abroad, you will see the different kinds, and they are also labelled for what they are good for. We may or may not have different species growing in Jos or Kaduna. Ours may be the roasting kind, who knows. We don’t have agric scientists to tell us these things.

• Niyoola

February 26, 2016 at 4:13 pm

There are more than 3,000 potato species‎ (and that doesn’t even include sweet potatoes).  I lived in the UK for a while and I was astonished at the types of potatoes is saw in the supermarket:
      There were New potatoes, Maris Piper, Charlotte, Red Potatoes, purple potatoes (yup, colour purple).
      Even if you deep fry them‎, they won’t hold shapen or dry out.

That’s why some potatoes are better roasted, mashed, baked, boiled, fried and even making crisps.

I remember reading that our specie of Tomatoes available are not suitable very for tomato puree due to the high water content.‎

• adede

February 26, 2016 at 3:32 pm

Niyoola, thank you! 25 years ago as a young teenager, I worked in my dad’s factory after school and sometimes on weekends. He had about 25 or so workers. I still remember him sitting on the edge of the bed with his face in his palms or sometimes staring into space, wondering how he was going to pay the month’s salary. No power supply for days into weeks to run the machines and generator constantly breaking down from being overused. Diesel shortage, constant harassment from the police when goods were being delivered, bad roads (we lost our truck driver in an accident on his way to Kwara) and customers who never paid on time. He just couldn’t make a profit at the end of it all. He ended up shutting it down many years ago and it was heartbreaking for him. Its 2016 and nothing has changed. I am all for supporting our very own but lets not throw stones at those importing goods if the cost of making it in Nigeria is ridiculous.

• changing moniker

February 26, 2016 at 3:55 pm

I fry “Nigerian potatoes” all the time and they turn out great… Try learning how to fry them so you can enjoy them. Try dooneyskitchen blog she’ll teach you how to cook using Nigerian things even tho she’s in the UK. If we’re importing, potatoes, toothpick. Etc how do we expect to grow the economy?
      Later everyone will be blaming the Govt…
      Biko BN give us a dislike button.

• Niyoola

February 26, 2016 at 4:14 pm

Of course they turn out great

• slice

February 26, 2016 at 4:51 pm

Of course they are grt but do they taste like KFC fries, no.

• Erinma

February 26, 2016 at 11:38 pm

Exactly! I’ve been reading waiting for this obvious to be stated. My parents have a business importing additives for cars into the country and are trying to set up a blending factory in Nigeria, and I have seen the struggle first hand! Government and its agencies frustrate home grown businesses, from the ridiculous bureaucracy to the dearth of infrastructure and lack of access to adequate financial support. We should all support made in Nigeria, but lets be honest about the issues.

20. kilipot

February 26, 2016 at 3:07 pm

Ah. Nigerian potatoes turn out very well. Why are u lying?

21. Honeycrown

February 26, 2016 at 3:45 pm

Seasoned fried yuca (Cassava) tastes better to me and a small serving goes a long way too.

22. oddy

February 26, 2016 at 4:42 pm

KFC is a Franchise and may have some certain standards of operation, i guess they may have a re think now. What is a fast food without chips?

23. Ms Observer

February 26, 2016 at 5:28 pm

Trust me the fact that Nigerian potatoes don’t taste the same as Western potatoes is not the problem here. Many foreign brands here in America adjust their products to suit the appetite of their consumers and a lot restaurants are now promoting farm to table menus. So in the grand scheme of things, this is the time for us Nigerians to innovate with what we have and stop obsessing about what other countries have. If we develop a food product that is on point with our local potato, won’t it become sought after internationally? Be the change you want to see!

• molarah

February 27, 2016 at 6:55 pm

Thank you o. Even McDonald franchises in India know better than to serve their classic beef burger there, when the population is largely vegetarian. I guess KFC will have to decide whether their priority is maintaining their global “taste”, or meeting the taste of the local population.

24. Tols

February 26, 2016 at 5:37 pm

Nicolas u are very unserious. Keep promoting imported potatoes. KFC pls close down if you can’t serve Nigerian potatoes which tastes great and far better than what you call fries.

25. nunulicious

February 26, 2016 at 5:40 pm

Its not just potatoes.
    The vegetables in the meat pies, chicken pies and fried rice are imported. Yep, the carrot and green peas.

Why? because it is cheaper and easier logistics to import these FINISHED ingredients from “Tanzania and the abroad” via DHL than to bring them RAW and unprocessed from North to Lagos. Think about it, how many of you would go to plateau to purchase the potatoe? where would you process it? where would you package it? (makes me wonder why we sang the praises of the former minister of agriculture, Mr Adesina so loudly)

Either of things will happen-either the current government would yield to pressure to devalue the Naira and lift the importation ban thereby allowing this to continue
    OR
    The current government and we Nigerians stick by our guns and force the the very painful, slow changes to occur.

I’ve been saying it for a while that our press needs to wake up and start focusing on PROCESSES asking anyone and everyone who dares to be in the public eye about SMART solutions to our problems. I’ve personally heard enough opinions and analysis and thoughts. Let’s start critically appraising our processes. And Bella Naija this applies to you too.

26. The real D

February 26, 2016 at 6:11 pm

We want to know why KFC imports its fries? It is because, it will cost them more to have it transported and processed should it come from Jos, because the supplier in Jos would have to bribe someone at every stage, from the Head of NAFDAC to the receptionist at the same office, then the transporting firm too will have to bribe every cop every 10km from Jos to Lagos/ Abuja/ PH . Then let’s not get into the gasoline used to run the gen at the processing hub. They in turn all turn around and ask KFC to bear the cost which rolls unto us customer and can we really bear the cost??? The answer is a resounding NO!!! So as to turn a profit KFC imports its fries at least na only custom dey go bribe at this point.

Trust me any business minded person would rather use local product in order to increase their profit margin because in many other countries unlike Nigeria all these illegal red tapes are not present, therefore making locally sourced goods cheaper than imported ones. Do you think if KFC is able to get a supplier and processor of fries at a reasonable rate they would not be all over it. If you are telling me to buy local, then I should not be able to get something that is not only better but cheaper outside. No one in their right mind will do that. I mean because there is a Walmart store a mile away from my house, I will not go and pay $20 for their brand when Dillard’s that is a 10 minute drive from my house is providing the same top or even a better one for $10, because I want to buy local.

We have to be realistic about buying local, and we have a longgggg way to go before buying Nigerian will actually be sustainable, I mean the government will have to do more than banning importation because if not na the masses go starve. KFC will only pack shop and leave the country.

27. Blast from the past

February 26, 2016 at 6:13 pm

Who exactly owns this article?

Because I saw the exact same thing on Olufunke Philips page on Facebook.

28. Joe

February 26, 2016 at 6:15 pm

This is unbelievable federal Government should do some thing very Urgently how can they be importing Potato, from where if i may ask? i have been to many places around Asia and Europe and have tested their Potatos and none is better than the ones we have, so where are they importing it from? even if its america which i have not been to, it still dosent worth it

29. Iris

February 26, 2016 at 10:05 pm

We need to change our mindsets. I went to a store in Lagos once to buy celery and i thought the price was ridiculous. Then i asked about a smaller leafier celery next to it that was at most half as expensive. The attendant said ” o it is because it is the local one.’ I bought it. It tasted the same to me. At the end of the day is not to remove extra leaves?
    Another time i was in Accra and went to buy Golden Tree chocolates. When i told the lady what i wanted she was shocked. She actually said ” you want the local one? Why?’ Err because i like it? We have allowed other people to redefine a different kind of the same product as inferior. Meanwhile Golden Tree actually tastes much better to me than Snickers or Mars or Kit Kat any day.

• Iris

February 26, 2016 at 10:06 pm

My avatar thingy is back!

• slice

February 26, 2016 at 10:30 pm

Arrrgh folks its nt that foreign is better. Y’all are nt answering the central question of the diff in taste. You can’t pass off peak as nido to a nido lover

• Iris

February 27, 2016 at 3:56 pm

Lol I get that but if you find that Nido is hurting you economically will you steal to get it, especially when Peak is saving you or making you money? I mean you could…but it won’t make sense. Dangote made his money selling Nigerian goods to Nigerians instead of mainly importing. Just think, YOU could be the next Dangote. Then you can come back and thank me with a small monetary washing after.

30. Geetay

February 26, 2016 at 10:39 pm

Personally prefer Nigerian chips to imported ones….they are very good.don’t know what standards KFC is looking for though…however 9ja bottlenecks will just not allow the homegrown potatoes do well for business like a lot of pple have already said above.since we have identified the problem,how then can it be solved? Govt should pls DO SOMETHING FAST.if not all this talk about buying 9ja to growths naira is all in vain…

31. Geetay

February 26, 2016 at 10:40 pm

To grow the naira

32. Mz C-me

February 26, 2016 at 11:49 pm

I see no reason why KFC can’t have their own farm in Nigeria where they grow their crops and a poultry for their chicken.

eattechtravel.wordpress.com

33. The real D

February 27, 2016 at 3:51 am

@ Mz C-me, really?? Own a farm? Ok let me break it down. KFC in Nigeria is part of an international franchise and a Fast food franchise not a farm or farming franchise. If we are going to ask them to get into farming then what of the fryers and cook tops they use, soon we will be telling to build a company for building those to own a store in Nigeria. It is not the responsibilities of foreign investors to improve our country, we need to improve our country to attract foreign investors. Which in turn provides jobs and improves our country even more. We don’t create a hostile environment for foreign investors and ask them to fix it, that mind set is the mentality that holds us back in our country. KFC has a niche which is fast food not farming and they are not about to go into farming because of our own problems like I said they will simply pack their baggage and move out.

34. HOUSE OF ZINO

February 28, 2016 at 9:17 am

@The real D….WELL SAID. THANK YOU

35. Nully

February 29, 2016 at 12:11 pm

i cant believe we import potatoes

36. Deep Soul

February 29, 2016 at 1:36 pm

I’m a big supporter of buying Nigerian but the sad truth,as has been stated, is the government’s lack of support to businesses.
    From corruption in government offices to high cost of transporting goods due to bad roads, a million “task forces” requiring payment from truck drivers at every point to lack of electricity etc etc.
    A business cannot thrive if its costs are too high and the only way to survive will be to transfer the burden to customers who may reduce demand due to high prices…it’s a vicious cycle and the business owners lose either way.
    The government needs to due more to support smes and this goes beyond buying sewing machines or kene napeps and distributing to people in a village