Features

Linda Orajekwe: 3 Lessons I learnt from the Olajumoke Orisaguna Story

Olajumoke ThisDay Style 3So Nigeria has been buzzing with the news of Olajumoke Orisaguna and how wonderful God truly is. Trust me, some babes, despite how happy they are for Jumoke, are seriously beefing right now – wishing they were bread sellers and met this kind of fortune. Girls that photo-bomb pictures will now have strategic photo-bombing. We just want a share of the Jumoke’s favour.

The miracle that has happened this February is enough for an atheist to believe in God because this is just way beyond human reasoning. So, today I want to share with us some of the things I have learnt from this trending miracle of Our Oni Buredi: Olajumoke Orisaguna.

Your Shame is Meant to Bring You Fame
I can imagine how we would’ve despised the thought of selling bread, before we’ll now start going deep into hawking it. It is just possible for us. Some of us are in some going through stuff in our lives, we are presently going through what we call difficulties and because we consider these problems so huge, we’ve wrapped ourselves around it, giving ourselves little or no chance to see or know why God has placed us there.

Some of us have even turned our back on God and the world because our problems seem really huge, it can’t even be quantified. But it let’s know that people like Jumoke also have issues. God that has created us for a purpose gave us what we call problems, as our elevators. Those things we consider shame in our lives, God is setting you up, but you don’t see it.

Jumoke was an uneducated bread seller who didn’t know who TY Bello was. Nobody knows, she was probably looking at Tinie Tempah in a funny way, all smiles and things that might have been running through her mind would’ve been “ki ni bobo shey bayi? Shey foto L’onya ba yi? Kin sha lo ta buredi mi” and off she went off. But those lens shutters opened and closed on her, telling her that this “foto” is for her success.

This is a prayer that we all pray for, but it happened to someone who before now might not even understand the whole concept of modeling. Who before now, celebrities are abstract people, theyre ideas, not ordinary beings, just people you can see on television. What a lot of us don’t pray for, because it might not be the ideal lifestyle for us, is what this young woman lived with for years and through that “shame” God has granted her fame… and I’m sure more will follow.

But do we know that this news will not be this big if she was a well to do person or the daughter of a rich man? But her story, which has been her struggle for years is what is granting her that fame, making her story compelling, and as I said before, even Cinderella didn’t get it this good! So let’s learn to see beyond the suffering in every phase of our lives. Though it can be really difficult, let’s learn to see every of our messes as messages that people will oneday learn from. Our liftings are meant to bring Glory unto God, and as my pastor will always say, God doesn’t call the qualified (because he will say he did everything right and was qualified for it), He qualifies the called, because then, ALL glory goes to Him.

Get Busy
So many of us are praying day and night, but we have refused to work. The only time manna came from above was in the Old Testament… this is 21st century, no manna falls from above, rather it comes out from your work. Jumoke was favored during her hustling moment. She wasn’t being lazy, but rather she was doing something with herself, no matter how little. Even the scripture said seesth thou a man diligent in his work and he will place him amongst kings and great men. From what we are seeing from this Naija Cinderella, we would understand that that scripture has totally come alive in live. Some people want to be great, or believe they want to be great, and they keep saying, Linda leave that thing jare, this life na connection. Well, I’m happy to let you know that you are right, but even the people that get connected get it from working, and working their ass off! Jumoke would’ve stayed home that day, decided to relax or probably hang out with friends, but she carried her board, went to the bakery and got bread to sell. But then, God has already signed it that that week would be the last day she sells bread… who would’ve thought?

Don’t aim to be the Jumoke, Be a Fairy Godmother!
I’ve always believed that fairytales are meant for kids and Disneyland and not in reality, but this Jumoke story has made me believe the more that God’s fairytale is incomprehensible. Cinderella is understandable. She was from a wealthy home, became the maid of her stepmother and stepsisters and because of her beautiful dress and on fleek makeup, the prince fell for her… that is really imaginable, even by a child! But this?! There was no makeup, an ordinary dress that was worn for two days looked like a designer’s dress to us and an ordinary girl suddenly became extraordinary!

Trust me a lot of us despite our happiness are saying “God! But I’ve been praying and fasting na! How come this blessing pass me by?”. Trust me I thought of how great God can really be, raising stones to be great men! Raising people who the society didn’t include and making them people that give news to the society to talk about. And suddenly everybody’s prayer point is “God make me a Jumoke!” “ God bless me like Jumoke!” “Lord Jumoke me!” I won’t be surprise if some funny churches start changing their 2016 themes to “2016… A Jumokefied Year!” “2016… Receiving the Jumoke Blessing!”

Now I’m not saying it’s wrong to pray for such favor, because I did! But then again, I looked at myself and ask “Why can’t I be a TY Bello, the Fairy Godmother?” TY Bello said something on her Instagram page about how we have a lot of Jumokes on the street and our little help might help their next day become easier. If you can read this and have a good knowledge of this 21st century and its happenings, I’m sorry, your blessing will certainly come. It might be greater, but you can never be a Jumoke (sad but true).

Let’s have it in us to help the next person, the next child, that woman we see that we understand her pains. We might not have the financial capacity to help her, but we have a database, that with proper publicity on just your BBM, something can work for her. In our little ways let’s be the fairy Godmothers that put smiles on the faces of every Olajumoke!

I’m sure we’ll continue to hear better news about Jumoke, and though I could share just three lessons for now, I’d love to hear from us on what we’ve learnt about life through Jumoke’s Story.

My name is Linda Orajekwe, a graduate of English Language and literary studies, Lagos State University. I love reading, writing and talking. I am a proud African naturalista who believes that Africans can only be great when we learn to embrace our rich resources from books, food to culture.

1. Talker

February 9, 2016 at 7:58 pm

Grace that comes with working not twerking, her hustle was her audition.

• Mohammad

February 9, 2016 at 9:50 pm

All the tori never do on top Olajumoke head?

Okay o, in the spirit of the current season permit me to add my own:
      youtube.com/watch?v=dlgESq5FAx4
      Olajumoke n’lo l’ooto!.

• X-Factor

February 10, 2016 at 12:42 pm

Gbam! Word!!!

2. Hian

February 9, 2016 at 8:03 pm

You always decided to ride on the buzz… No, no one is wishing they were breadsellers. We know all u have said here…. This article is just mediocre

• Say what

February 9, 2016 at 9:14 pm

Peeps just be throwing around the word “mediocre” around anyhow. Kindly take a seat.

Linda, thanks for sharing.

3. Hian

February 9, 2016 at 8:08 pm

You *also decided to ride on the buzz. No one is wishing they were bread sellers, we simply praying for such Grace.. We know all you have said here. This article na wa

4. Melvy

February 9, 2016 at 8:41 pm

I don’t know why I think this Olajumoke’s story is scripted…

5. Ola

February 9, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Oh no, i’m sure if i google olajumoke and bread together, it’ll bring up hundreds of posts about this one lifetime opportunity. I applaud everyone that has helped so far but enough had been said already about how you need to work your way into the hands of your helper. Not everyone has to write about it, re-iterating the damn same thing. Just do your own good and keep it moving.

Bye lovely people

6. Iyabo Oyawale

February 9, 2016 at 8:50 pm

Our shame is definitely meant to brings us fame. This reminds me of the woman with the issue of blood, in the Bible. She was in a position of shame. Probably smelling and all that. But, through that shame, she got a mention in the Bible, the best-selling book of all time. What other fame can be greater than that!

We all go through stuff in life but we should not forget that glory awaits us after the pain. It’s a given that our trials are for a period.

I particularly like the part about getting busy. I was laughing when I read that “the only time manna came from above was in the Old Testament… this is 21st century, no manna falls from above, rather it comes out from your work.”

Thanks for putting it succinctly. We should all put on our thinking caps and get to work. Let’s get our hands dirty. That’s where our prosperity lies, that’s where our dignity lies. And that’s where our destiny is going to be empowered.

Thanks so much for sharing this!

7. G!

February 9, 2016 at 9:07 pm

And No! This isnt the kind of miracle that will make an atheist believe in God. More miraculous things have happened and they didn’t believe. This would be chucked to a case of good luck or ‘coincidence’ and not the work of God.

8. larrymoore

February 9, 2016 at 9:51 pm

l learnt 10 lessons instead
    be hopeful
    be active
    be positive about wot u do
    be helpful cos ur help is on d way
    be yourself
    be modest
    be independent
    be loyal to all
    be prayerful

9. Hawt Talk With Tosan

February 9, 2016 at 10:36 pm

2 lessons I learnt:

Show up like a million bucks to whatever honest job you do to put food on your table.
    Never look down on anybody because you never know who they can turn out to be.

10. Seyi

February 10, 2016 at 1:30 am

Obviously you re made in unilag.nice write up. Cool story too

11. hmmmm

February 10, 2016 at 3:19 am

Hmm, thank God for her, let’s not forget that Oluchi Onweagba Orlando was hawking Orange on the streets before she was scouted for modelling (so I heard) .. In conclusion when grace and favour decides to locate you.. You would testify if God’s goodness..

12. Tamtam

February 10, 2016 at 7:53 am

Linda when you write in vernhacular please always try to translate . Happy for Jumoke. It was her time and season. May this fame never become a source of reproach to you Jummy. Wish you all the best…..

13. Onyinx

February 10, 2016 at 8:15 am

Linda nice one!

14. Uche

February 10, 2016 at 9:14 am

good piece Linda. i just hope we will learn to be more diligent in what we do and explore those opportunities around and within us, afterall a man’s gisft maketh way for him.

15. Queen Bee

February 10, 2016 at 9:22 am

smh, everyone has a right to their opinion. The next time you see a post titled Olajumoke please scroll pass. Haters, as if we don read on 10 blogs the same topic about our so-called celebrities. Use every situation as a lesson and pick the few you can from it, Capish!!

16. OddMrB

February 10, 2016 at 9:42 am

The three lessons I learned from Olajumoke’s stories are;

1. Branding is about who gets the longer end of the stick; Look at it this way, TY Bello has already done a lot of good for Olajumoke and deserves all praises, prayers and goodwill for her acts of kindness, but also importantly her brand gets more exposure with such a heartwarming story.

The other brands that are quickly attaching themselves to her (or signing her) are even especially the bigger beneficiaries. Firstly we heard and saw that Olajumoke has signed with a modeling agency (FeW). FeW modeling agency is the biggest gainer here, maybe they were already a popular agency (I had never heard about them before, but which modeling agency in Nigeria do I know sef?)but with Olajumoke being probably the biggest rave of the town now, brands would be calling on her new management. she in turn can be “generate” many opportunities if properly used by her agency. so the agency is realer the gainer in this deal.

2. Speed to the market; In MBA classes, they tell us that for businesses, speed to market is one of the greatest competitive advantages either in terms of access to capital or product launch. They say it helps with securing market share and market appreciation of a product before other competitors gain entry.

Now we hear Payporte has agreed to use her a billboard campaign. Very early movers I must say. Sharply oh, before Olajumoke begin cost.

Can we all already Imagine a Payporte Billboard on Ozumba Mbadiwe, somewhere in Ikeja, on Third Mainland bridge or on Eko bridge? The brand gets exposure while tapping into the present hysteria before it either fades away or become mainstream..

3. Life is about who wants it the most.

Selah

17. mg

February 10, 2016 at 1:09 pm

I have learnt from olajumoke’s story that it is never too late, change is inevitable, hard work pays and prayers too. I have also learnt to be positive in all circumstances. I have learnt ALOT

18. ariyike

February 10, 2016 at 1:28 pm

anything is possible with God .passing the right place at the right time,so many other people might have passed that same place unnoticed but because the shot was meant to change her story…she was wearing a cloth that made her look like she was prepared for the shoot …i pray we all encounter God in all our endeavours

19. prince

February 10, 2016 at 1:32 pm

I don’t get tired of this Jumoke story because at the end, I’ll definitely be inspired. Like she said, GET BUSY. you cant be praying to God and fold your arms doing nothing, The works of your hands is what He’ll bless.
    Good one Lady.

20. Mary Scott

February 10, 2016 at 4:13 pm

So true! It just appears the lessons from #Olajumoke are endless… buff.ly/1QpfqoG

21. Adeleye Ayodeji

February 20, 2016 at 1:49 pm

To God be the Glory., the lord is Really DOING.