Features

Berry Dakara: I Just Went Back

SAMSUNG CSC

We all know about IJGBs. So much so that it’s almost unnecessary to spell it out – I Just Got Back. Within the past ten years, there has been a steady influx of returnees heading back to Nigeria, with the hopes of getting a piece of the pie – cash, that is. Apart from those moving back home, there are others who come for holidays, weddings, etc. December to January is IJGB season, and it is evidenced by the exponential increase of foreign accents around – those acquired abroad and the others from watching DSTV. There is still the matter of how long you can claim I-Just-Got-Backness. One year? 2 years?

I was an IJGB myself five years ago. Mehn, it doesn’t seem like it’s been that long. I distinctly remember trying to decide whether or not to come back for NYSC. It’s hard to imagine that it was half a decade ago! Anyways, I came, I aje-buttered my way through NYSC, decided to stay… for work o, not to find husband (although yes, I did meet Cakes during my NYSC year and got married the following year). Being back in Nigeria after 14 years away was interesting. I was at different turns excited, frustrated, homesick for my family in Atlanta, happy to be near my grandparents in the East, curious about what Port Harcourt and Lagos had to offer, etc. When I moved back to Naija, I wasn’t sure how long I would stay. I told people I was back permanently temporarily, meaning that there was always the possibility of leaving. My then-boyfriend was aware of it, and the over-arching plan was that when we were ready to start a family, we would relocate.

Well, by the beginning of 2015 we were ready to actively start trying to conceive. Uncle Cakes was of the opinion that as soon as my pregnancy test was positive, FIAM, I would be on a plane back to Hamrika. I on the other hand, fully intended to push the relocation as late as possible after getting pregnant. There was this hesitation on my part. I naively gave an ultimatum, that I wouldn’t leave Nigeria until I was at least 6 months pregnant. All of a sudden, when the possibility of leaving Nigeria was very real, I wasn’t sure I was ready to go anymore. Yes, I missed being close to my siblings and would cry every time I went on vacay and had to leave them. Yes, I yearned for the ease of life down south in Atlanta. Yes, I knew I had always planned to go back. But I just didn’t feel ready. Every time Cakes brought up the topic, it would end in an argument because I was too hesitant about moving. Why? Partly because I feared the uncertainty of having to leave and join the job market. I was also worried about my blog – I started blogging in Nigeria and it’s a HUGE part of my life. If I left Nigeria, would people stop reading? What about all the events I used to go to – what on earth would I do when I went back? And of course, SMALL CHOPS!

By the end of 2015, we were still not pregnant and I gave in to the relocation. We set a date, informed our families and worked towards it. I was still in denial and didn’t start packing my bags until a week before my flight. I had had 3 whole months to prepare o, but it was the final week that jolted me to reality. See me running around like a headless chicken in the maddening heat and looming fuel scarcity (I got out just in time sha). We packed up our things, said goodbye to family and friends, ate waaaaaaaay too much small chops and that was it. From IJGB to IJWB – I Just Went Back.

It’s been a month since I’ve been here in Atlanta. There’s been the Good (being close to my siblings and extended family again), Bad (Buhari abeg na, I just want to change my Naira! Is it fair?!?!?!?), and Ugly (the weight I lost in the first half of 2015 has come back plus more). There’s still uncertainty, but with it comes the promise of opportunity, new beginnings and endless possibilities.

But please, somebody send me small chops.

Berry Dakara is a Lifestyle blogger (http://berrydakara.blogspot.com) who shares her thoughts on anything and everything from marriage to friendships to faith, and other random topics. You can find her on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook - @berrydakara. She's also a weekly contributor to the African Naturalistas, a natural hair website and consultancy dedicated to teaching healthy hair care practices.

1. che

April 15, 2016 at 3:58 pm

Wishing you all the very best and all the success in the world. May God bless your new home in the United States. Babies, Career Success and everything else.
    xo

2. Amaa

April 15, 2016 at 4:04 pm

Aunty berry oh you haffffffff left eyaaaaaaaaaaa welcome back to bad gmo processed food. To school shootings black life matters racism and Donald trump rubbish enjoy ???

• Sabifok

April 15, 2016 at 5:36 pm

Ahn ahn? As opposed to buying made-in-singapore confectionery, bad customer service, kidnappings, Boko Haram, terrible healthcare, fuel queues, NEPA? It is a no brainer na,

No place is perfect

• afis

April 15, 2016 at 5:36 pm

Hmmmm

3. Wuggy

April 15, 2016 at 4:10 pm

Tor. You not get problem na. IJGB ke, IJWB ni. Henjoy yasef, my dear.

4. whocares

April 15, 2016 at 4:11 pm

lmaooooooooooooooooooo.. I feel your pain about the small chops business. It is the only thing I smuggle, steal, threaten and if all those fail beg for at parties so nothing do you. Ahh, goodluck with your re-relocation and everything else (yes, I coined my own word: re-relocation.. just to emphasis nani). lol. It is much more difficult when it is you plus one – as opposed to just you carrying your bags and going as the spirit directs you. Your blog will be fine and pfft. It will be nice reading from another perspective anyway (more fans, more fans).
    Do you find that since you have been back, you have gained a certain edge? Do you find yourself feeling more intolerant now of certain things and thinking “these abroad people gan sef?” I think I would. Ordinary vacation to other cities and when I return I almost cant stand the people in my city. lool.

5. Grace

April 15, 2016 at 4:19 pm

LMAO @ ” and the others from watching DSTV” SMH

Them plenty for my area for Lekki, despite the fact say they just went to Dubai(just case they saw other skin color person)they come back with British accent of “IJGB”SMH

But again, not to worry you sure gonna be fine, you will fit in well again. It may be difficult but you gonna come back to your feet ok? Thank God for “fast” internet, you can blog from anywhere and people will still read.

Now for the small chops,(I love it too)but you go try dey make am yourself o…lol

Goodluck. 🙂

6. DinonMC

April 15, 2016 at 4:32 pm

Interesting read

7. thatafricanchic

April 15, 2016 at 4:35 pm

I feel that you are only using this as medium for attention. Oh look at me, I am an IJGB, oh look at me I got married, oh look at me IJWB. If you were really going to tell us about moving back to Nigeria and the implications, the article would have gone further to discuss your experiences, challenges, reverse culture shock etc, but you didnt!
    Also you could have expanciated on why you returned. Did you want a better life for your family? Did you want more economics prospects? Were you frustrated with life in Nigeria and its problems?
    That would have been more helpful than what you wrote. I read this and I got no perspective whatsoever

• Eowyn

April 17, 2016 at 5:41 pm

Geezer calm down! *cueSong* Aunty why you haaating?? *cueTheLongHiss* perspective ko.. Wu u epp?

• Yewande

April 18, 2016 at 2:54 pm

8. MeToo

April 15, 2016 at 4:43 pm

i just went back too (I too am in Atlanta/Gwinnett County). The nonsense in ghana and the current goverment is ridiculous. I will return when the smarter man (nana addo dankwa) is in office. I lasted 6 months, after shipping a full container full of all my belongings. I am glad i went though cos i learnt a lot of stuff (people dupping me and how they wont get away with it next time).

The day arrived in Hartfield i felt like kissing the ground. I am much more appreciative now –

Many folks who have never traveled out – will never understand after you have left the country for more than 10 yrs (26 in my case) the adjustment is not very easy. You have to do a lot of back and forth until you feel settled.

This is why i have decided to relocate from ATlanta to London (most of my family live there, i dont have any family here ) so i can frequent home (ghana) more often – and take advantage of the more PTO/Holiday time UK gets. My only pet peeve about moving to UK after living in US for 10 yrs is their living conditions. The bathroom especially. I have been spoiled by Atlanta, i want my apartment with my small walk in closet and nice bathroom with vanity cabinets underneath sink. British have the most disgusting home architecture in the whole universe – Their living space style is ridiculous compared to USA. . I guess maybe if i can afford and plan i will build someday if possible. cos the homes i been seeing on rightmove co uk I am not impressed – new or old – floor plan disgust me..

I think the mistake i made moving to Ghana was I should have secured a job first before i went, but i did not, after 26 yrs being away i went and set up my own shop selling my own stuff, It was going slow, but 3 weeks before i left it kinda picked up but then i left anyway, I couldn’t take the power outtage nonsense. This is the first time in Ghana history under this useless government we are getting this, growing in ghanaian the 80s and 90s we neVER had this. I think if i was serious and gotten my self a job- i woulda feel more settled.

Running my own shop with lil help and working 9am to 9pm monday to saturday took a toll on me – plus i didnt feel at home cos all my immediate family are all in london and i was in that big house by myself no house-help even. I felt lonely.

All my FAKE friends who urged me to come come come, when i got there, i hardly even saw them or hear from them. Fake friends. One day i will write a book about the whole truth of moving back home and things people do not tell you.

I want the best of both worlds (live in Ghana and UK or US back and forth) and after much discussion with one good friend, IT contracting is the way to go, SO i am working towards that

• thatafricanchic

April 15, 2016 at 4:57 pm

I feel you on the fake friends bit..they are so nice and will constantly be communicating with you when you are abroad, as soon as you come down (and maybe they get their gifts), its like you dont exist anymore

• MeToo

April 15, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Yup, thats true thatafricanchic

all that will go in my Book titled
      “Relocating Back Home To Africa -What They dont tell you ”

🙂 🙂 🙂

• Nkechi

April 15, 2016 at 7:29 pm

You should have known long ago. Max two weeks after distributing the gifts you bought for them all, you may not see their green light
      I thought a lot of people knew that about life though. You have more friends if you keep having something to offer. If not, nothing for you
      Better hold on tight to your God who will never leave or forsake you. Let’s be honest, most girls move for a purpose and they know that purpose. Secondly, paper issues.

• Ewurafua

April 15, 2016 at 5:16 pm

I am Ghanaian too, so I can’t believe you are having selective memory here. It’s very evident you are a die-hard NPP person, so offcourse you’ll blame everything on NDC. Since you spoke mainly about the power situation, I would just like to jog your memory to the NPP reign under Kuffour where we experienced what was termed “6 to 6”. The lights would go off at 6 am and return at 6 pm – then you would have light for 12 hours before it went off again.

• MeToo

April 15, 2016 at 5:42 pm

Shwer, let me tell you,

i will give you the satisfaction and would have responded to you and at length and in bullet points, but out of respect for the rest of folks on this thread – i will not deviate the post and stick to the topic.

#ByeFelicia

• Life

April 15, 2016 at 7:02 pm

Chai see my Ghana peeps arguing about just a little power outage. Just a little oh, when my beloved Naija will give an arm and a leg to have what you guys have right now. Such is life.

• Drew

April 15, 2016 at 7:34 pm

Hey Ewurafua NDC kingpin, if you’re being honest never in our history had we had to deal with Dumsor for four years! Never! It’s people like you who stand aside in solidarity with a political party no matter how useless it is and watch their country fail. The truth is one. See how Ghana is so difficult to live in now and you’re here saying what? Mafriend gyina nkyen koraa. I’m an entrepreneur and know first hand what evil corrupt Mahama led Government has made us suffer!

• Drew

April 15, 2016 at 7:28 pm

We’re all praying and fasting that Nana Addo win power this November. If not,we will have to all ‘re-relocate’. This NDC government is the most clueless and useless in the history of democracy.

• Ewurafua

April 15, 2016 at 7:29 pm

WOW!! I didn’t think what I said was offensive, so I’m a little confused as to your reaction. If I was rude, sorry. You mentioned that what we experienced last year/ this year has never happened before, and I just wanted to remind you that it had. I especially remember it, because it happened during my O’Levels and again 2 years later, during my A’Levels (both of which was a NPP regime).

• Abi

April 16, 2016 at 7:26 am

You can get very spacious apartment with closet and all in the UK if you have the money. x

• nne

April 16, 2016 at 7:35 am

Almost everything you wrote applies to Nigeria 10000%. People, if your friends are telling you to move back, IGNORE THEM. Most of them are not telling you the reality of the situation on ground. I was soo taken aback by the number of my relocated friends living in BQs (in Lekki). Hian. I never esperrit such o.

If you want to move back, take a moment and truly ask yourself why.
      A. If you want to come home for govt contract- stay where you are.
      B. If you want to come back so you can live off cheap labor (househelp, nanny, driver) – stay where you are.
      C. If you want to come back to change Nigeria. Stay where you are.
      D. If you want to come back to set up an NGO. PLEASE stay where you are.
      E. If you want to come back to create jobs. Then continue reading.
      F. If you want to come back to work in govt and your entire experience has been World Bank, investment bank, etc. Take a deep breath and stay where you are. When we become a developed country, we will call you.
      G. If you are coming back to work open to anything, ready to listen, with a sense of flexibility, then continue reading.

1. Take lots of trips back or save your vacation time and spend a good month during the IJGB off season (i.e. dont go in December-January);
      2. Open your eyes – Have a plan, but be VERY OPEN to ideas. Look for jobs AND look for business opportunities;
      3. Be very focused. Dont follow people mindlessly to parties and enjoyment wurever. Nigerians are EXPERTS in building house of cards;
      4. Lagos and Abuja may provide you with ease of adjustment, but seriously, Ibadan, Abeokuta, Enugu, Aba, Owerri are also beckoning. Dont get caught up in the small mindedness of the typical IJGB who is just looking for comfort;
      5. Keep obodo oyibo options open, not just so you can return, but also so you can leverage connections back in obodo oyibo to make things happen on ground in naija;
      6.Unless you want a career in entertainment, chill with the accent. It is much harder to get doors opened, because the accent implies you are already set;
      7. Keep your sabi sabi in check. Nigerians are not stupid. They know how to eliminate inefficiencies, they just dont want to because somebody is making money from it. So, unless somebody sent you to take up EFCC’s mandate, pick your battles.

Personally, i came home with my eyes wide open. Have had no surprises, i am working a fulltime job outside Lagos and also setting up a private business. I keep in touch with obodo oyibo professional contacts once a month. Before i leave my house, i always have a plan A, B, C for the day and i always ask God for wisdom to pick my battles for the day.

• molarah

April 16, 2016 at 2:29 pm

Mehn, you are sharing a lot of insight in your comment, and I hope you flesh it out into a full blog post. I feel a lot of IJGBs are getting disillusioned about their homeland, which for me is saddening because they didn’t get access to good information before they made their move. They have a lot to offer Nigeria (even Africa as a whole), if they do the right research and make the right moves. Nice piece.

• Brainybeauty

April 16, 2016 at 8:47 pm

I could kiss you for this comment! British houses are the worst. What you’d find as standard in many homes in America…you’ll pay a premium for in England. I live outside London, so I’m fortunate that I can live decently without breaking the bank; most people who live in London live in unbelievably cramped conditions even with expensive mortgages! My entire family live in America and I visit regularly. Every time we return from a trip to America, my British home that I’m ordinarily quite proud of just looks like a dump. Even my kids hate our house for the first few weeks after we get back! I detest British homes.

9. Lighten up and take a love pill.

April 15, 2016 at 5:04 pm

Wow. The amount of evidence that abounds in the comments sections of posts, almost every day, that a lot! a lot of people have deep, personal issues, is almost frightening.

I read the reactions of some people to posts, and even to comments by others, and I have to wonder if we read the same post/article and the same comment.

I don’t see the negative meanings, I don’t see the seriousness, I don’t see what is so deep, I don’t see what it is that has to be taken with such utter, depressing humourlessness, I don’t see the catalysts for hate and bitterness and venom to be spewed, I don’t see the quarrel.

God will help us, please. And, we must agree to, and seek, and yield, humbly, to the help.

Anonymity only disguises identity, not illness.

• Ona

April 15, 2016 at 7:31 pm

Huh?? Whats this one on about? Where did u see all these hateful, venomous, bitter comments biko?

• PD Young Billionaire

April 15, 2016 at 11:43 pm

May be he/she is seeing what we can’t see.

• Lighten up and take a love pill.

April 16, 2016 at 12:14 am

@Ona, and @PD Young Billionaire, BN has wisely chosen to delete the comment (the description of which you find in my post) which they had earlier featured, and which inspired my own comment which they have chosen to leave.

As I agree with their decision, there is no need to mention its contents or the handle of the commenter who does have another muuuch shorter comment still featured.

10. Sabifok

April 15, 2016 at 5:34 pm

Nothing do you Berry, I have always said that people should do what works for them, and live wherever suits their lifestyle and aspirations.

Personally i have always yearned to be a global traveler. I dont see myself living in one country for years on end, never mind Nigeria. If money were no object, I would live in the US, then Nigeria, then cities in Europe/Asia for months at a time for each.

Nigeria is a tough and impossible place to live if you are not mentally, physically and financially prepared. The lack of resources I can deal with, as one can always cut their coat according to their size. But the difference is that in Nigeria, some fake friends and strangers would not let you live down a meek lifestyle. Even when you go to certain ordinary spots/events, you are either ushered in or parked, based on the type of car you drive. People treat you based on their perception of how many naira you are worth. Some people in Nigeria expect you as an IJGB to project a certain lifestyle, or you would be crassly written off as someone who “went abroad to do menial jobs.” Ridiculous.

11. KacheeTee

April 15, 2016 at 5:38 pm

Hahaha @ small chops. That’s a key issue to be honest..

But don’t worry about your fears. You’ll be fine. We’ll still your blog, and it’ll probably even be a blessing because now you can expose there’s probably more places to visit and more things to share! Xx

12. Inspired...

April 15, 2016 at 5:42 pm

@Ewurafua I didn’t want to comment then I saw yours, so what u have now is better than 6pm to 6am? you pple are “flexing” then. let me even see 6pm to 6am lasan, I might just have a thanksgiving service. At least i’ll be able to watch a lil TV when I return from work and sleep thru the night without heat. Naija, I hail thee.

• Drew

April 15, 2016 at 7:37 pm

Ghana isn’t used to power outages so any disturbances in the usual schedule, and you will hear us screaming ourselves hoarse until it’s restored. ?

13. Pat

April 15, 2016 at 5:53 pm

Nice read. All the best, Berry!!

14. coolread

April 15, 2016 at 6:35 pm

Berry, thanks for sharing. I have always wondered about IJWB perspective for folks who are looking to transition back abroad. Please update us as you settle further on the pros/cons of your decision/transition, and if you’ll ever go back to Lagos. It is really helpful to see the other side of the revolving door for pple looking to do what you just did. Thank you.

15. Drknite

April 15, 2016 at 6:37 pm

Is Ms. Berry single?

• Debbie

April 15, 2016 at 7:07 pm

I am! My name is Berry too but a different kind of berry. Lol

• Drknite

April 15, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Hiiii Mz. Berry!

• Tene

April 15, 2016 at 9:27 pm

See desperation!!! ?

• Sara

April 15, 2016 at 7:57 pm

No she is married and Bella naija featured her beautiful wedding ( cakes she reffered to is her husband not actual chopping cake) he is a baker and a good one at that

• Drknite

April 15, 2016 at 9:09 pm

LOL! Thanks for clarifying the cake situation.

• Can't get right

April 15, 2016 at 7:58 pm

Honey. I can see you can’t read. Pick up a book!!

• Naija Prefect

April 15, 2016 at 8:00 pm

..Scuse me Sah, the answer is NO sah. Thanks in advance Sah. She is happily married to “Cakes” sah.

• Authentic Sunshine

April 15, 2016 at 9:29 pm

Yes she is still single. The Debbie type of Berry ohh not the Berry married to cakes, if you get my drift. By the way Drknite why are you still single?

16. Ewurafua

April 15, 2016 at 7:35 pm

So, I decided to come back to this article to share my own IJGB/IJWB experience.

I moved to England in my late teens for university, and ended up staying for 6 years.
    After a few years in, my life became very monotonous and stagnant. Just work-home-work-home. My social life was dead, and since all my family was back in Accra and I had no significant other in England, I decided to move back to Ghana. By this time, a lot of my friends had also began moving back from all over the world, and I guess their pictures and tales of life in Accra gave me some hope about restarting my life.

So I finally returned in January 2014, but life was NOT as I imagined it would be.

Although I got a job here within weeks of moving back, I quit after less than 6 months. I think working abroad spoiled me, because I was so used to paid holiday anytime of the year, sick leave and overtime pay – which I mostly didn’t get here.

Transportation was another issue. I had never learnt how to drive and as I didn’t have a car here, I had to rely on lifts from family/ friends and taxis – which was costly.

Even groceries and food cravings was another hurdle. Whereas in London, there’s a Tesco, Sainsburys around every corner, there are only a few specialist shops here, and they aren’t even within walking distance of where I live. Now, I couldn’t just crave something and walk down the street to buy it. I still miss my Wagamama and Krispy Kreme.

The social life I also anticipated, didn’t happen. The same friends that painted an active and buzzing social life were nowhere to be found. There is only so much, “I’m busy. I’m tired. I’m broke” one can take before giving up trying. Whereas communication was constant when I was in England, I was now the only person checking in.

After 2 years in Ghana, I’ve decided to move back, and God-willing, I will be back in late summer/ early autumn. Even though I haven’t had the best experience here, I will say that being here has made me realise the mistakes I made in England. I cannot and will not allow my life to be monotonous again. I plan on traveling and getting out of bed more to do some fun and spontaneous things.

However, the only thing I fear about moving back, is that I no longer have the support system there anymore. I would love to meet some lovely people ahead of my move. ?

• kekeoj

April 15, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Not trying to impugn your anecdote or whatever, far from that. If I construe your disquisition correctly, you only went to the UK to complete your university edification, and this lasted for 6 years? I think you shouldn’t be penmanshiping this fable. Being back in your country after “just” 6 six years shouldn’t have given you any worriment, especially when you are away on studies. Anyways, I wish you streak of luck as you decide on your life’s odyssey. Gracia!

• Me

April 15, 2016 at 9:09 pm

What is strong with you gaann. With all this gbogbo unnecessary grammar. I am very sure you have never lived abroad because if you have you would understand that even just 2 years away can make you feel like you’ve lived abroad all your life. I honestly do not know what it is but I think it’s the comfort that abroad comes with that makes you feel like you’ve been away from home for a long time.

PS berry please keep us updated oh, lovely write up and some of us are very interested in your ijwb stories.

• Tene

April 15, 2016 at 9:29 pm

Hian!!!! Wetin be dis one again? Afi penmanshiping

• Ewurafua

April 15, 2016 at 9:58 pm

My primary aim of going to England was for my education, but I ended up staying there after my B.A. to work. Infact, I worked all the 6 years I was there. I could/ should have clarified that, but I already wrote more than I intended, and I had to edit whole lot out. You may think 6 years isn’t a lot, but haven’t spent more of my adult life there, it counts as something. Some people only go for their Master’s and still claim IJGB. What of them?

• Disquisition indeed.

April 16, 2016 at 12:38 am

You should “”construe”” your own grammar and vocabulary “”correctly””.

Penmanship is a noun. “”Penmanshiping”” is not a verb; it doesn’t exist as an actual, official word..

“”Worriment”” is so archaic, your use of it is ridiculous.

People are not “”wished streak of luck””; rather, they have A streak of luck.

“”Gracia”” is a name borne by women and girls and places, or, in conjunction with God’s Name means grace (of God).. Gracias (with an s) is thank you.

• Amebor

April 17, 2016 at 3:54 am

My husband went to Nigeria after only 2 years away for 2 weeks and could not wait to get back. He said even from the airport, the atmosphere smelled different. He almost kissed the ground hello.

Even if you’re away from Nigeria for a month, there is a big difference. You may not be super wealthy and a live a luxurious life abroad but just the basic necessities available to you without having to give your left eye for, make a huge difference. It is called ifokan bale in Yoruba. It really isn’t the food per se that makes Nigerians gain weight when they relocate or just visit but the peace of mind. Going out in naija for one day is a workout on its own.

Honestly, I can only visit Nigeria. I can’t cope with the no power, crazy traffic, crazier police, no organization whatsoever, and all the wuru wuru. I can’t even attempt to drive there.

• whocares

April 18, 2016 at 3:01 pm

@Kekeoj: As I was traversing my life’s odyssey, I stumbled upon BN posts where I sailed into the stormy waters of your pontification of Ewu.A’s disquisition. I marvelled at man’s ubiquitous amplitude to generate a higgledy-piggledy elucidation from prima-facie crystal sentiments.. Good day sir, and I wish you a streak of goodluck. No more than a streak mind you 😛

*time spent on google searching for synomyms – 10 minutes
      *time spent laughing my head off – still ongoing.

• Miss A

April 16, 2016 at 7:32 am

I don’t have a packed social life but I have a good one so you’ve got one a bit social person for when you move back to the UK.

17. Mymind

April 15, 2016 at 8:39 pm

It’s nice to read these experiences sha; it’s enlightening for those considering a move. Keep them coming please..

There is no perfect place in the world, but I’m sure there is a perfect place for each person.

18. Gorgeous

April 15, 2016 at 10:38 pm

LOL. Thank God i did not move an inch when that useless boyfriend was demanding i move. Tufia! Now i would have been sweating and angry, who even knows if the relationship would have worked out. hahahahaha. Talk true Berry, you moved back because exchange rate and increase in hard ship. You are a fair weather Nigerian like a lot of the IJGB. The ones that will suffer most are the ones that moved as visa expired. They are used to certain comforts that they cannot get in Nigeria. And as the economy gets tougher which it would, it will probably be much harder for them to cope than the average Nigerian who is used to the hustle.

• hezekina pollutina

April 16, 2016 at 8:28 am

the tough will outlast the complacent. things just starting to get interesting now.

19. niola

April 16, 2016 at 12:02 am

Berry you have moved back? ? Awww with hubby I guess. ..church will miss you lots. Why nah? ?naija wahala is plenty shey?I toy with the idea as well but hubby says this is now home now what I really want is months in naija 6 months any where else. God from my mouth to your ears abeg… This place is not for the fainthearted.

20. Amy

April 16, 2016 at 10:27 am

I relocated back to Nigeria in 2011… it was initially very tough as i didn’t have a job for over a year. Thankfully, i got a good job eventually. But nigeria is just a tough environment, power, fuel etc. That’s even with being able to afford stuff i need and want – to an extent. However, anytime i travel for holidays… I’m happy to come back to the chaos! I’ve finally accepted that I’m not moving out of Nigeria again… this is home for better for worse! All the best to Berry and Cakes. I pray you both find the happiness and fulfilment you desire

21. queenbee

April 17, 2016 at 5:25 am

officially the best thread on bellanaija for a long time. I did an IJGB last year and it took me 1 month to know I had made a mistake. I can’t speak for Lagos but Ghana is a true learning curve. Unless you have capital and you have already founded your plans and have buyers for your business….you are going to spend a year or 2 pretending you’re getting somewhere because no one likes to fail. Electricity supply in Ghana is the biggest joke. Hardworking folk are now fighting access to light simply to earn their daily bread. The country is depressing but the keeping up with the Jones’ African attitude means you will be pretending you can even afford your cocktails in kempinski hotel when you still haven’t got money for a quality generator. You’re more likely to make it as a pastor than an investment banker or IT consultant. I contracted in UK on an average of 550 pounds a day. I have 10 years experience leading Infrastructure projects. I came to Ghana and there is no apetite for IT. The simply have not reached the level where my expertise is relevant. They are light years behind. So I had to be very honest with myself. Do I pretend setting up shop in an unstable environment with clients who don’t pay on time or understand what consultancy is will satisfy me? maid or no maid. good weather or not….The quality of life is simply not something I could adjust to. I prefer my two bed in SW any day. I think also the reality is when Europe has been open to you for travel. It iseems hard to not miss that. Yes I could travel to Nigeria or ivory coast. but essentially same weather. similar environment. its just not the same as travelling between Paris and oslo. The difference between Italy and Hungary. so yes. I realised how privileged I was and how unprepared I was and how I had been sold a dream by the fake friends. Moving back to Africa needs to be a well planned and researched decision. take a couple years if you need to and definitely go back often….not during holidays but during normal months and see what reality looks like. don’t be fooled by the holiday vibes at Christmas or during weddings.