Features

Bukunmi Ogunwale: The More You Look, The Less You See! My Experience with Online Shopping in Nigeria

Foto.com - More Downloads-1What you see is not always what you get. As someone who spends most of her time on the Internet I should know this. How do you explain the discrepancy in quality of products you see on the Internet and the delivered goods?

None of the added incentives of shopping has addressed the matter of poor quality goods sold on these portals. As much as I love to patronize our own people, the downside of this decision is visible when you receive some deliveries that make you unhappy and God help you, if you have not taken time to read the fine prints.

A few days ago, I got a package delivery of a plaid dress that looked absolutely beautiful in pictures – so much that I imagined the feel of the wool with which the dress was made. It looked like a high quality dress and I wasted no time in placing my order and even started boasting about a new dress I got and would show off soon. Then after more than a week of waiting, I received a call from a guy who claimed to be a dispatch rider with a delivery for me. I received the package, but as I attempted to open it, the dispatch man insisted I would have to pay him first. As soon as he collected the money, the guy disappeared with the speed of light as if he could sense what was about to happen.

Excitedly I opened the package and pulled out the dress I believed I would love, only to discover it was a very poorly made dress. The dress was made of nylon material and not wool as I suspected. It was very large and shapeless. It didn’t even come with the thin belt that it was worn with in the picture. It then dawned on me that this was one of those mass produced dresses from China and I paid a premium price, plus delivery… for this nonsense.

I was furious! The anger that rose inside me was the size of Mount Kilimanjaro. I felt like slapping that bitter taste out of the dispatch rider’s face for insisting that I pay before opening the package.  I picked my phone and dialed the seller who was quick to inform me that the description already stated the dress was made of polyester. I yelled back in a feat of anger. This is not polyester at all… it was plain nylon! Nylon!

My screaming did nothing to this woman. She just carried on her conversation like my yelling was some kind of back ground noise. Then she said, anyway you agreed to a no return contract when you purchased the dress. This only infuriated me the more. NO RETURN! Then she said, “Let me advise you (as if I needed one of her anecdote of wisdom). Make sure you read the description of a product well next time before you make any purchase.” Before I could respond to that, I heard the dead tone on the other end of the phone. As if I wasn’t angry enough, having the rude seller drop the call on me was something else.

Though I held a package in my hands. The plastic bag gave me a strange feeling – one I cannot exactly describe. It was a mixture of betrayal and stupidity. I felt like I had been defrauded of my hard earned money. I was ashamed to realize how naïve I was to have believed I could get good product or service from our online mall.

The experience made me wonder how we expect our online businesses to grow? It will only take a while before experiences like this mar the reputation of the service being provided. Or how do we explain this? As much as it is important we grow and diversify our economy, no sustainable business can survive in “the more you look the less you see” environment.

Photo Credit: Foto.com.ng

I enjoy talking with my hands on (www.bukunmisdiay.com) and other print media. But I hope one day these fingers would tell enough stories that will inspire greatness in others.

1. Olusegun Odejobi

April 29, 2016 at 6:03 am

This has also happened to me some years back popular Julia delivered a refurbished blackberry to me, I had to send it back to them for repairs after some weeks. It’s sad

2. Ba

April 29, 2016 at 6:45 am

This is worst, worst online customer services. They can’t spoil the image for good heart like us coming up.

• Abk

April 29, 2016 at 9:47 am

But this happens all over the world, even here in Canada, it happens in the U.S. and the UK too, where you order a dress and get the exact opposite, even Asian online stores, or you place an order for a cake and you get something totally different. Annoying but happens all over.

3. SassySylvia

April 29, 2016 at 7:00 am

Lol..sorry about your experience. As someone who does online shopping alot, allow me to tell you a few things especially if you are ordering from our Nigerian e-commerce sites. 1. ALWAYS use the pay on delivery option. 2. NEVER pay before you test the item. ALWAYS pay AFTER. I have had some not so pleasant experiences too. One time i ordered bathroom footmats from tge Payporte 1k store, chose the POD option. When they brought the footmats, it was torn and dirty like it was taken from someone’s bathroom and brought to me. Well, nothing lost since I had not paid. I shaperly returned it. Another time I ordered an aluminium electric kettle from Vconnect, what was delivered to me was a plastic electric kettle. I just jejely gave it to the dispatch person back. This is not what i ordered mbok. Two weeks ago, I ordered a four slice Russel Hobbs toaster from Konga. What they delivered to me was one other product that I could not even get reviews on. I did not mind, shebi toaster ni gbogbo e. Decided to test the toaster before I paid. Well, it turned out only one side of the toaster was working. The other side was dead. This does not mean that its all been bad news with my online shopping. I have really had some very good quality purchases from these websites too.
    However, when it comes to clothes/shoes/bags, if its not on Asos, then I have to make the dreaded journey to Balogun Market. At least with Asos, I am guaranteed of the quality of what I am buying although most times this also depends on the brand (Dont expect your NewLook shoe to last as long as the one from London Rebel). Besides, if after one week of waiting, I finally receieve the items and I dont like them, I can return it and my shipping costs and my money will be returned to me,with a 15% discount code on my next order. Win-win!!
    Bought clothes one time on Dealdey and I swore never to try it. Broke mt promise and went on Maju site to buy clothes. When they came, it was not the quality I was expecting and the ones that were ok interms of quality did not fit. Well, the dispatch guy refused to collect the items. Said I had to find a way to send it back to Maju. I was livid. Why?? And I had already paid into their account for the items. After much much, i finally managed to return the items. That was how they told me that my money could not be refunded, that I have to pick another item from the website. Since nothing on there appealed to me, I left the money for them. That was the last time I ever bought clothes on a Nigerian website.

• LEM

April 29, 2016 at 9:36 am

ASOS? The very same ASOS?! Hmm means you must have been quite lucky. Shopped with them twice, after that swore never again. Saw this lovely dress on their site and purchased. The reality was that the dress was drab and very poor quality wore it once or twice then dumped it. I thought ok maybe first time was a fluke. Tried again after a while, my goodness, I could not dare wear the dress out it was that bad. Friends have also told me they have had similar experiences with ASOS so mine was not an isolated case. With the Nigerian online shops, I bought a phone on konga and it is still working well, I also bought a couple of shoes from an online store shoeminers which was also a good experience. I try to minimize my online shopping apart from maybe lunch on hellofood though and I do agree with you about using POD option.

• SassySylvia

April 29, 2016 at 10:14 am

But you can return your ASOS stuffs if you dont like them. Forget what you heard about our government organisations, NIPOST is very efficient. I have returned stuffs I bought from Asos, Newlook and River Island and it got delivered to them in the UK. You dont have to waste your money or keep stuffs you dont want. This is how you do returns for Asos;

1. If you get your package and you don’t like your items, not to worry, contact ASOS. Send them a mail from your account or contact them on Facebook or Twitter (Twitter is the fatstest. The respond almost immediately). They would ask you for your order number and other details.
      2. They would ask you to fill your returns form. This always comes with your items. State the reason why you are returning the items.
      3. Go to your nearest post office, have the items wrapped and addressed to ASOS. Put the ASOS return sticker on the wrapped package. The sticker is also usually in your order. Most post offices know this procedure so they can do it for you for say N100.
      4. Have them use the registered mail option. Its always more expensive, depending on the weight of what you are sending. The calculate the rate and let you know how much you will pay.
      5. Make your payment AND COLLECT YOUR RECEIPT. This is very important. Don’t let anybody tell you you don’t need a receipt. Collect your NIPOST receipt. The receipt also comes with a tracking number so you can track your item on the NIPOST website although sometimes, they never update it. Asos may have received your package and even refunded your money but your tracking number on the NIPOST website maybe saying your parcel is still at NAHCO.
      6. Scan the payment receipt back to ASOS. Within 2days or depending on you bank, you will be refunded your shipping charges, ie the money you paid to NIPOST to return your items. You will also also be given a 10% or 15% discount code. I got a 25% discount code one time.
      7. Wait 7-10 days for Asos to notify you about receiving your returned items. Within another 2-5days, your money is returned back to you, no stress.
      8. You sha have to use the discount code on your next order.

• lily

April 29, 2016 at 2:13 pm

I have to say that ASOS rocks. That’s why the company is so successful. It’s easier and faster to return items and get a refund from ASOS than a store/organization in Nigeria (same Lagos sef). Customer service is top notch. I’ve been chasing a Nigerian airline for over two months for a refund because ‘treasury has not approved it’

• NEVER buy from Fashionmia! NEVER! NEVER!

April 29, 2016 at 12:30 pm

You can’t miss the ubiquitous Fashionmia ads apparently all over the internet and on most sites, including this one. The clothes advertised and which one pays for are not the clothes sent. They are of such poor make (I can’t use the word quality). The fabrics are so cheap, nylon, nylon lace (the lace is so cheap, I don’t know what else to call it), etc. It’s not just that they’re very bad, poor copies of what you saw and paid for, sometimes, they’re so bad that if you bought several items ((as i did), you have a hard time recognising and figuring out what item you saw and paid for that each item sent corresponds to/is supposed to be the copy of. It’s not only the fabric and cut. Everything! Even colours too! e,g, For the red that you saw and paid for, you’ll be sent a gaudy neon pink.

I just thanked God that He provides well for me, so rather than giving myself stress over the money, I decided to give them out to those who would appreciate them and be very happy to have them; I’ve been giving them out to domestic staff, even not mine, who’ve been overjoyed to have them. I can’t wear such clothes and rather than bother with the returns process, which looked designed to be tedious and frustrating, I chose to give them out. Fortunately, not all the items were delivered in time as some were out of stock, so I did get a refund to my Paypal account for those.

I have no problems or bad experiences with ASOS. Customer satisfaction always.

My last order from Konga.com, I returned about half the items (POD option). Quality was not as advertised by the sellers., a couple of times, it was size. Two items from 2 different sellers, I’d already paid for with POS. One the quality of the fabric was not what I was expecting, the other was as advertised, only I hadn’t realised the item was going to look quite as ‘sexy’ as it did on me, which I didn’t want. Contacted Konga Customer Service, and they were very efficient in contacting the sellers and telling them to contact me, and also giving me the sellers’numbers, and stating to me that they were committed to ensuring my satisfaction (even though because of something or the other, maybe because I made the order over the phone instead of via the website? the items didn’t come under their Buyer Protection policy)., I kept Konga informed when I didn’t hear from one of the sellers and he wasn’t picking his call. He called later the same day and came around with a whole bagful of options for me to choose from and swap. The other seller was very cordial and also gave me multiple swap options.

Jumia.com’s challenges are with their delivery/despatch men. A few of them mess them up. They don’t call to say they’re coming and just turn up and call to say theyre at the delivery address, and you’re not there. When they do call, sometimes, they don’t come at the agreed times. They don’t come at the time they say they’re coming. It could be hours later. An item is specified to be collected at their pick up station, and surprisingly a despatch phoned to say he was on his way to deliver the item. I told him it was meant for pick up, and he called out the pick up station address and asked me if I was saying I wasn’t at that address at the time he was speaking to me. Long story short, he didn’t even know that the address was that of their pick up station. He returned the item to their warehouse instead of the pick up station as he’d said on the phone and instead sent the text message they send saying “”we are sorry we tried to deliver your item to you today but could not, etc, etc”” which is sent when the person was not present to receive the delivery. That’s what some of Jumia’s despatch do, they mess up, and then make their report and put in their records that the customer was not around or that the blame was the customer’s somehow or other. I knew, from other occasions, that If I reported to their Customer service, even the same day, they would simply tell me to make the order all over again from the website and I just could not be bothered. I only feel sorry for the sellers on Jumia who lose business.

• ASOS

April 29, 2016 at 12:48 pm

@sassysylvia really? I didn’t know that ASOS refunds the shipping charges. This really comes as a surprise to me. Are you sure? Could this be exclusive to some countries? I don’t live in the UK or Nigeria. I always thought that the return shipping charges was on the buyer.

I bought 3 items from ASOS for my birthday but I never used them because they were not my size. I contacted their customer service to return them but I was told that the return shipping cost was on me. He didn’t mention anything about refunding the cost of shipping to me. That discouraged me because I’m shopping online to save money. I already paid ASOS to ship the items to my address so why should I pay again to send them back? At the end of the day, I won’t be saving any money after all. So I just kept them and decided to give them as gifts to my friends on their birthdays. Unfortunately, I can’t return them anymore because I purchased them three months ago.

I later had to shop at the local stores around me and funny enough I found nicer items at very reasonable prices. I really felt stupid for wasting my money. That was the first time I shopped on ASOS and I vowed never to try it again. Sometimes, what you are looking for in Sokoto is already in your pocket.

4. Gerry

April 29, 2016 at 8:33 am

Online shopping in Nigeria can be such a nightmare and getting a refund is a bigger nightmare. Dealdey is a major culprit! I don’t know how they allow such hideous items on their site. I was delivered a wet and already worn skirt that was A shaped against the pencil shaped that was advertised. What about the times they claim your item has been delivered and you have not received it. I can write an epistle about my online experiences

5. Truetalk

April 29, 2016 at 8:46 am

Maju is the biggest scam on quality I’ve seen. Why not invest the money used to promote to ensuring quality?
    Notorious Instagrammer called zimmie clothing. Nasty AF outfits. I mean I respect hustle but if u cheat people no matter what u make it will go down the drain.
    All deldey purchases worry me.
    Online shopping is hazardous really

• SassySylvia

April 29, 2016 at 11:00 am

The scam called Maju ehnnn!!! Thank God I’m not the only one. The only thing I can vouch for are their bags and even at 10k sef, the quality is still somehow but the clothes are a different matter altogether. Feels like they make their clothes with tissue paper. Those clothes can come apart at the seams any minute. Its not by doing instagram hashtag of #HowIWoreMyMaju. Sometimes I even think those people on the Maju page show casing their clothes are their friends who did not pay for said clothes because I cannot imagine anybody paying for such low quality clothes Dealdey used to be good. I bought my fridge from them during their Black Friday sales and it was fantastic. Now they let every Tom, Dick and Harry on their site and this has soiled their reputation.

6. Leye

April 29, 2016 at 8:52 am

I ordered a bag from luxurystreetng.com and asked to pay on delivery, though because I needed it urgently they asked if I could pay before delivery to get it in good time but I decided to wait instead. Something that wasn’t exactly cheap, I had to avoid stories that touch. Anyway, the bag came, I liked it, I paid every body was happy. Who ever came up with pay on delivery is bae.

• Susan

April 29, 2016 at 9:50 am

I usually order from Jumia and Konga, pay on delivery, apart from the fact that sometimes, I might get my orders late, I haven’t experienced further issues. Good quality.

7. tolu

April 29, 2016 at 8:53 am

pretty please, ONLY ever use the pay on delivery option. if the site’s not offering it, then don’t purchase from them, well, exception could be maybe if bought the item before.. actually scratch that. lets stick to NEVER pay before you receive and inspect or test the item purchased. some dispatch company’s are outsourced though, and not exclusive to the company or site you bought the item from. those might insist you pay for delivery. in that case, 500- 700 or max 1k cant be so bad in comparison to being stuck with a cheap, ugly, inferior or just plain unwanted purchase.
    God bless our hustle ooo

8. Rufina

April 29, 2016 at 8:58 am

Okay this needs to stop. This is not the first dissatisfied customer story we’ve heard and yet y’all refrain from spelling out the name of the vendor so that other people don’t fall victim to bad service.
    Business people behaving anyhow to their customers. It’s like they don’t realize how important the customer is and how powerful word of mouth is. Put the darn person on blast; follow them like an evil spirit. Tell everybody you know how shitty their service is, spread as much bad PR to that person as you can. use all the weapons in your arsenal (social media, pictures, link backs, every damn thing you’ve got.
    People who don’t know how to handle their customers professionally don’t deserve to own businesses in the first place.
    NONSENSE!!!!

• Tunmi

April 29, 2016 at 12:33 pm

Exactly. Call them to take by naming and shaming them. They won’t change until it starts affecting their money because the passion clearly isn’t in it

9. Traveler

April 29, 2016 at 9:04 am

Whatever you do, Please never buy tickets from TRAVELSTART. i had to change my travel dates and the price they quoted for the change alone could buy a new ticket with remaining change sef. i decided to cancel and buy a new ticket, after cancellation, they turn around and say the ticket is non-refundable!

10. cesc

April 29, 2016 at 9:12 am

I once ordered a pair of white pants from maju online. it was delivered to my office and i insisted on checking the contents and “testing it” before paying.. Got to the restroom and discovered the pants were made of cheap white china material and had poor fitting ( 1 size small). I couldn’t shout, i calmly went to the reception , returned it to the dispatch rider and walked away. I called Maju up and simply told her i couldn’t accept the pants EOD.
    I’ve had similar experiences with Jumia and Konga ( refurbished phone)
    Pay on Delivery is the safest option and if possible, check the contents before paying.

11. Dami

April 29, 2016 at 9:18 am

@Maju! So true @ quality. My sister ordered cullotes from them, she can’t even wear it. It’s so tacky. I guess at their price point, they aren’t majoring on quality but on trendy, fashionable clothing. Maju is like primark in my opinion.

• Quality AND Quantity.

April 29, 2016 at 11:43 am

@Dami, please don’t compare Maju to Primark. There’s NO scale of comparison whatsoever. There’s quality in what one gets from Primark despite the cost.

• Drew

April 29, 2016 at 4:04 pm

Pri what? You don’t know what you’re saying. You better put on some respek on the Primark name. Primark isn’t low quality. It’s just like any high street brand with a low price strategy. That sef, they keep upping their prices these days. Let’s just say they’re a good bargain brand. Respek yourself my friend!

12. Ada

April 29, 2016 at 9:27 am

The day dealdey tried rubbish with me, I dragged them through social media like dirt eh. Called them out on twitter so bad. Next thing I knew someone was calling me from dealdey office apologising and offering a refund. What happened? I bought spa treatment on dealdey. Out of courtesy I said I should call the vendor before going to take up the service. I called the vendor, the vendor said the deal was closed, say them no dey do again. I called dealdey, dealdey said I had used the deal. The customer service person I spoke to was even sounding helpless like “Madam, as I can see here, you have used the deal, what should I do?” Chai! No be big money buy every penny I earn is precious. I went on twitter and dragged @dealdeycare and @dealdey around. I even started a hashtag and asked people to weigh in. 1 hour was not up and they were calling me. They even refunded the money twice and I now had to bring it to their notice that they refunded twice.

Another annoying one is Konga. Something that looks good online, you buy am finish and it is crap. Thank God for PoD, I just always leave it for the delivery guy. For my most recent purchase, I am trying KongaPay, if e no work, I go chill.

• Tunmi

April 29, 2016 at 12:35 pm

Thank you for calling them out. Na step by step. If all we do is talk and don’t actively direct those involved, nothing will happen

13. Ariere

April 29, 2016 at 9:42 am

*Sideeyes* Dealdey.com: Good Prices, Awesome Presentation, Mediocre actual product, lackluster delivery. Nd to top it off. Their Customer Care is the worse ever!

14. Halima

April 29, 2016 at 10:16 am

I can relate to this, the sad thing is, it spoils other people who run businesses with integrity. December of 2014, I was doing a research about where to get carrier and aromatherapy oils, and organic products in Nigeria, and I found this shop/company called Estella’s Pride, went on their site and surprising they had all I needed, but I was very hesitatant to purchase, especially since I live in Kano. Anyway, I called and asked about delivery and the attendant said Lagos had same day delivery, if the orders were placed on weekdays, and all other states had 2-4 days delivery. And they don’t have an option to pay on delivery, you have to pay before you orders can be shipped, so you can imagine how paranoid I was. Anyway, I place the order cause I needed them desperately. Shockingly, I got it delivered in 4 days, I got a call from DHL, and the rep brought my order to me. Ever since then, I’ve been ordering from them, without have any anxiety. But like you all have mentioned, one has to be careful, I definitely can’t do that on all websites. In as much as I love to order from Konga and Jumia and I haven’t had issues with them yet, I still choose to pay on delivery, cause you never know.

15. Thatgidigirl

April 29, 2016 at 10:35 am

I got a dress from thingsnigerianslove and it ran like 4 sizes small and the fabric felt like an abrasive. I called to complain and the lady said they were aware that there was an error in the sizing of this particular dress etc (so why did you sent it out?).Their dispatch rider came he next day to pick it up but I had to call several times over the next 2weeks to get my refund. It was really irritating…..but in all fairness, they were polite ?

16. Jay

April 29, 2016 at 10:47 am

Personally, my experience with konga and jumia have been good. But beware of those other sellers that sell products on their websites, they sell sub-standard goods.

17. Princess P

April 29, 2016 at 10:52 am

I have not had any problem with Jumia and Konga so far…plus I always use POD

Aliexpress is where I have had issues….damn, the quality they send is so different from what you see on their site. Now, I stick to newlook or misrebel

18. chinny

April 29, 2016 at 10:52 am

At least you got a dress, mine was the other way round o. there’s this guy on instagram that poses as a woman with @klassicboutique which is supposedly based in Jos, i ordered a top for 5k including delivery to Lagos, he kept on barraging me to add more to my order, I told him via chat that if I didnt know him and would not want to be scammed. within me I knew if I lost 5k e no go pain me cos life is all about risk. fast forward 2 weeks now, I still havent got my order as it was pay before delivery, the idiot is not responding to his messages and have blocked me on instagram as well. my advise people be ware of these nameless and faceless people. And if you are on instagram please look out for the crook @klassicboutique

19. @bambiniworld

April 29, 2016 at 11:18 am

I sell on Jumia and Konga. And the truth is a lot of ppl sell substandard China goods online. You see some diaper bags; exact design, exact colour but it is from China (Ali express thinz). I see some vendors selling t-shirts for 1k. Pls how much was the cost of the T-shirt? A good T-shirt starts from $8 (minus vat, minus shipping), but you see ppl ordering the 1k T-shirt and expecting a good quality item. Some prices are actually too good to be true. So be skeptical if the item is too cheap.

Also Nigerians don’t leave reviews. When I do anything online, whether shop or plan to visit an attraction or book a hotel, I always rely on reviews. Most ppl see it as a waste of time. Only one customer has left a review for me, but I can boast of the quality of my goods. If it’s good, leave a review. If it’s substandard, leave a review. That way you can help fellow shoppers determine if the vendor sells fake or original stuff.

Now some of these sites are charging vendors for substandard quality items so there should be an improvement. Also PoD option is good. At least you see what you are paying for. Like any new system, it can only get better as time goes on.

20. Pink

April 29, 2016 at 11:23 am

I just had a similar experience with the5kshop kai. I saw this lovely evening gown and i tot hmmm nice bargain only for them to say no POD outside lagos. So i paid for the dress+shipping cost and when it got to me eh… i was so disappointed even aliexpress standard is far better. Never again!

21. mrs chidukane

April 29, 2016 at 11:26 am

I have never ordered from any Nigerian store but I’ve ordered a lot from amazon and carter’s and have never been disappointed. The sizing may be off but the quality is usually on point. It takes time on amazon to comb out the great clothes because of their large inventory sha and it’s usually children’s clothing and some other items but if you only go for items that have reviews and brand names you’ve tried previously, you’ll be fine. One time I ordered a set of tshirt and jeans but mistakenly put 2 instead of 1 in my cart. I tried to return it after receiving the item and they refunded me my money and told me to keep the item! Amazon customer service is the best.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

April 29, 2016 at 1:11 pm

My own story of getting 2 items, rather than the 1 I paid for was, interestingly, with Apple. And none of it was my fault – ordered a gift online for one of the parents, was given a delivery date and as I been dey go Naija, was working to a deadline for getting all items before I took off so took special care in using my work address to receive delivery.

That’s how I got an email on D-Day saying my item had been delivered. Ah, but I been dey office na. Delivered where? I went downstairs to ask, nothing had been received. Checked with all available entry points, nothing had been received. Emailed Apple and was told the delivery driver had taken the recipient’s name and signature, which the Apple customer rep forwarded to me. I looked at the document and the name was totally unrecognizable but continued my hunt around the company (in case one of my colleagues had gotten the wild idea to take my iPad mini home). As suspected, nobody like that works in any of our buildings. Ha, see drama.

I then sent Apple a very succinct email three days later re their failure to deliver my purchased product, the fact that I was getting the item as a present for a loved one (and thank God I had chosen the option of getting an engraved message on the iPad! Or dem for no believe…), the fact of my impending trip to Naija and my complete disappointment with their service. A manager got in touch very sharply, apologising for the actions of their courier company (as per 3rd party services which Apple can’t completely control) and then assured me that a 2nd iPad was being sent out ASAP.

Can you imagine that the 1st iPad now showed up the very next day? From the same delivery company that swore on their grandfather’s gravestone that they had delivered it to the fake name on their manifest??? Wonders of lying peepu (you need to have seen the name, sef)… but which one concern me, was counting down to my Naija trip and my iPad was in hand. Happy Days!

Then… the really interesting bit began while I was in Nigeria and got an agitated email from Apple saying that they’ve registered 2 iPads now delivered to me, can I please get in touch ASAP because they’ve been calling and couldn’t get through. Had a very, very good laugh… then settled to compose a detailed reply informing them (as already explained during the delivery/non-delivery drama) that I was on holiday in another country and couldn’t be reached on my UK number until my return after xx date. And I had no idea about a 2nd iPad being delivered so it must have happened after I left (truly, an iPad was waiting on my desk when I returned).

And once I got back, Apple folk were on my case every day oh, calling from Ireland to ask how I wan take return their iPad. Told them to let me breathe, abeg. Afterall, their liar of a delivery driver was the reason they were in this mess, they should send someone to pick it up from me on a work day… which eventually happened. No apology, nothing – just “bring back our iPad”.

So, if you ask me, all of them are the same – Apple, Jumai, etc., – when it comes to shopping online. Human beings behind the scenes will make the kind of errors to test your soul and after what I went through, now have a very dim view of Apple UK’s services. Maybe I should also have done the twitter dragging and shaming… “perraps” dem for send me Mac to save their rep. 🙂

• Elle

April 29, 2016 at 1:41 pm

mrs chidukane, does amazon deliver to nigeria? I so did not know!

• ThatGhanaChick

April 29, 2016 at 2:11 pm

Hi Elle, I have bought some items on Amazon and they have been delivered to me in Ghana but then what you should know about Amazon is that it’s a pool of sellers and some of them do not do International shipping. so in looking for an item to buy from there, always look for a seller that does international shipping and for a good amount of money your item should reach you maximum a week.

• mrs chidukane

April 29, 2016 at 2:16 pm

@Elle there are some items that actually deliver to Nigeria but I’ve never tried them. I usually ship to anyone in the US at the time who helps me bring it back or send to a friend who ships it to me and I pay the shipping cost. I usually plan myself well, buying clothes that will fit for at least for 6months to a year so I won’t have to buy this and that. Shopping on amazon is a skill, lol. Hunting the bargains no be here oh but you know as a mother you have to register for prudent spending 101 unless your coins are overflowing and even if they are, it’s just my opinion sha.

@missSA, can you imagine Apple pestering you for ‘common’ iPad? When they should just have dashed you, lol.

• Elle

April 29, 2016 at 2:51 pm

ThatGhanaChick, thanks for that! Much appreciated x

• "changing moniker"

May 3, 2016 at 10:32 am

how much does it cost to deliver to Nigeria from Amazon? any free delivery options?

22. Miss T

April 29, 2016 at 12:25 pm

@Chinny that handle followed me some months ago and i was actually thinking of getting something from them, thanks for helping a sis

23. Rynyx

April 29, 2016 at 1:40 pm

The best online shopping experience I have had is on room624.com the courtesy of the rep who calls and the speed of delivery and the packaging of the product is out of this world. I am not very easy to please but they blew me away. maybe the trick is to use the not so big names. Konga and Jumia and dealdey are completely overrated. too many people trying to use them so the service is crappy. I liked the wrapper so much that I kept them. and the pay on delivery option is available too. Payporte is like the new kid on the block but the service is one I still do not trust.

24. Sabifok

April 29, 2016 at 2:04 pm

Personally I hate buying things online, except for software like Anti-virus or video games that you can download immediately. My reasons are this:

– Goods especially clothes almost NEVER look in real life like what they did on the website. They sometimes dont fit as well, or look a tone darker or lighter. I bought some shirts from Nordstrom Rack (a store I love) and patted myself on the back that I had gotten a bargain. Mehn when this things arrived, they looked like they had taken a dip in Jik featuring Super Blue Elephant Detergent.

– I want what I want when I want. I am impatient, and hate waiting. I see something, I like it, I buy it. Men, ordering online takes time jare, even with 2 days shipping.

– Misdelivery. This is a clear and present problem whether or not you are in Nigeria, Jand or Yankee. You expend nervous energy worrying about the courier dropping your package on your porch, only for neighbourhood thieves to nab it. I know someone that had a flatscreen TV dropped at his front door in a council estate in Jand, and of course a yob moved it.

Yes you can ask for it to be signed for, but sometimes, courier companies drop packages at the wrong address. You can ask for damaged goods to be replaced but come on, that adds more days to the whole arrangement.

But in Nigeria, where you have enough problems with even face to face commerce, why would I trust online commerce, Maybe its just me, but heck no.

– Ogboju moves – this occurs even outside Nigeria. I ordered a Chicago Bulls swingman basketball jersey from Amazon. It was black with red stripes and had the throwback look. Would you believe that the seller sent me a plain black one, which is more common. I have a feeling that he did it on purpose because the striped version is less common. Of course I processed a return but ended up waiting another week and half.

– Touch – I like to feel an item, bond with it, sniff it, try it on before I buy (except for condoms o). You never get that with online purchases.

25. Loool

April 29, 2016 at 3:32 pm

“try it on before I buy (except for condoms o)….. ”
    bwahahaha, so funny! Oga sabifok, na you biko

26. Pipi

April 29, 2016 at 5:26 pm

Just like my bitter experience with boohoo now! Ordered items to be delivered at my holiday home where I was staying… Just like MsSA I was home all day waiting, olodo delivery guy didn’t come and recorded he came but no access into the building.. And I was to travel back to Nigeria during the weekend. Contacted boohoo customer service..told me if I don’t get it before I left it would be shipped to nigeria. Time to leave to Nigeria the things hadn’t still come, I jelely contacted boohoo that I didn’t get it and am leaving, customer service said they would contact the courier people to return the goods back to boohoo this was Sunday! You wouldn’t belive on Monday the so called courier delivered to the holiday home! Smoke is coming out of my ears now!

27. JK

April 30, 2016 at 3:06 am

I’m so sorry that happened to you! It’s very common with some of the stores that ship direct from China. They use replica photos of the dresses, not the real thing. One of my favorite online boutiques is lilyboutique.com! Their prices are reasonable and I’ve ordered from them many times. The dresses look even better in person than they do online. They also offer free International shipping over $150.

28. "changing moniker"

May 3, 2016 at 10:30 am

i ordered a shoe and dress from @charivafashionstore on IG. there was no POD option so i paid the 9,500 into their account. after several calls that went unanswered. i just left it for them. it’s been a year now….
    it pained me ehn, cos the dress was supposed to be worn on my birthday.