The Secretary to the Lagos State Government, Tunji Bello, on Wednesday insisted that the demolition of illegal structures in Ikoyi, Lekki and Victoria Island would begin after the September 11 deadline.
Bello, who is the Chairman of the committee on the clean-up committee on the area, spoke with newsmen in Ikeja.
He said that residents who fail to make use of the window offered them to remove such illegal structures voluntarily would face the full force of the law.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the state government, on August 28, had given a 14-day ultimatum to owners of illegal structures and shanties in the areas to remove them.
Governor Akinwunmi Ambode also inaugurated a committee on the implementation of the “clean-up” of the areas on Aug.30.
“The committee decided to first embark on sensitisation campaign to give the owners of such illegal structures enough notice to willingly pull down such structures themselves before it is done by the government,” Bello said.
He said that a modality had been put in place to ensure that the original master plan of these areas was maintained.
Bello vowed that the committee would discharge its responsibilities to the fullest.
“Cases of abandoned properties have become very rampant with miscreants and criminal elements taking over these properties as their base to cause havoc.
The neat road sides of the past now parade pockets of kiosks, illegal parking lots, unapproved mechanic workshops, roadside beer parlours and commercial centres.
In addition, originally residential areas now have industrial and commercial concerns located there, distorting the balance of the environment.
These bad environmental practices, thriving in these prime areas, can no longer be tolerated and will be brought to an end immediately.
These areas must regain their lost glory as this administration demands a return of environmental normalcy,” he said.