BN TV

Enough with Fatphobia! WATCH this Inspiring TEDTalk from Fat Activist Kelli Jean Drinkwater

BN TV

In a society obsessed with body image and marked by a fear of fat, Kelli Jean Drinkwater engages in radical body politics through art.

She confronts the public’s perception of bigger bodies by bringing them into spaces that were once off limits – from fashion runways to the Sydney Festival – and entices all of us to look again and rethink our biases.

“Unapologetic fat bodies can blow people’s minds,” she says.

WATCH:

1. Ekoatheist

December 9, 2016 at 6:51 pm

diabetes and heart disease are real, period.

2. The Truth About Fatness

December 9, 2016 at 7:24 pm

People keep saying that fat people have the power to change and as a result to not deserve any recognition for the social stigma they face but is being fat REALLY a choice as people think? I have lost a significant amount of weight on my own and every day that I mind what I eat is a struggle (as in shedding tears and going through withdrawals type of struggle). I am mentally built to eat more than my body needs and its a battle of the mind to keep myself in line. The thing is that if it is natural or genetic to have urges for and engage in same sex behaviors, for example, even when same sex activities are associated with higher health risks than heterosexual relations, why is the urge to eat “more than average” or the tendency to be fat treated with disdain even among educated circles when obesity related illnesses are discussed? I suspect that skinnier people have a combination of higher metabolisms + a lower inclination to eat. We even see these disparities in babies and children who naturally don’t have the concept of discipline ingrained in them.

Also 95% of dieters regain lost weight in a year, and 98% regain in 5 years. This is a sign that losing weight is almost a futile venture. I am sad to know this but I will keep fighting to stay in the lucky 2%

Honestly I’d rather we develop medicinal therapies that hinder the mental drive to overeat or increase our metabolisms so that eating a lot doesn’t result in weight gain. In a world where food abundance and alteration is the order of the day this is the only way out. Not judging obese people, or shaming them into going on a diet roller coaster, or celebrating them when they resort to dangerous bariatric surgeries that decrease their quality of life for weight loss that they’ll probably regain anyway.

• Oneliners

December 10, 2016 at 4:43 pm

I love you

3. acdc

December 9, 2016 at 8:04 pm

YOU CAN BARELY BREATHE!!!

i can HEAR you struggling to breathe

4. Susie

December 9, 2016 at 8:06 pm

Ekoatheist: diabetes and heart disease don’t happen to fat people alone. Many of my skinny relatives have lost limbs to diabetes & died early of heart disease and i have other relatives who are fat who lived to their 90s. The point that must be emphasized above all is health for all. Doctors are now encouraging even people who are very obese to lose just 10% of their body weight as doing just that alone drastically reduces their chances of getting diabetes etc even if they are still fat. Note also that more than 90% of people who lose weight gain it back within 5 years and scientists are now discovering that it is the yo-yo dieting that people do to force to be skinny to please society that is the problem. btw i’m not a fat person, i’m on the petite side but I think i get her message which is that we should stop mocking people who are fat and aim for health (for all) instead.

5. Ban

December 9, 2016 at 8:10 pm

This is most dislikes video I’ve ever seen.

A must watch

6. Ban

December 9, 2016 at 8:44 pm

This is wash

There is always 2way to activity. Is either you’re right or wrong. We learn the hard way to get it right.

Excess fat is unhealthy, wrong, and there are solutions. Discipline yourself, eat healthy and stop living a sedentary live.

7. Temi

December 10, 2016 at 3:27 am

Wow!! she is breathing heavily… a sign that she is not healthy… go and lose weight.. and stop covering up… IT ÍS YOUR HEALTH..

8. Stop fat shaming though

December 10, 2016 at 4:05 am

she’s saying people should stop being mean to fat people but people are focusing on her health. Why do Nigerians go out of their way to create new points just to miss the point. Why don’t you people want to see a fat person be confident and happy even while being fat, even without being on the journey to weight loss. Do you know how healthy you are that you’re talking? Slim people die everyday, have diabetes, heart attacks blahblah. Sure, your risk is reduced, but I think the point is not to bully them, or overburden them with your unnecessary opinions about their weight. I’ve noticed that the people who talk about fat people are not usually the skinny ones, but people who are themselves, not too slim or have the tendency to be fat. Project your hostility or insecurities elsewhere. She’s fat and I’m sure she knows, so why do we derive joy in saying mean things to fat people, especially the balls-less people who feign fake ‘pity’ for them? It’s not your mean words that will make a fat person lose weight, leave that to the fat person and their well meaning doctors, close friends and relatives that they trust. We dehumanise too many people in Nigeria: poor people. albinos, women, fat people, children, beggars, nannies, waitresses etc For a religious country, if you love people as you love yourself, comments on BN would be much nicer and more well-meaning.