Features

Ofilispeaks: I Downloaded The Pirated Version Of Toke Makinwa’s “On Becoming” and Here’s What I Learned

OfiliSpeaks

ofilispeaks gun

NOTE: This is not how to fight piracy.

Disclaimer: This is not another review of Toke Makinwa’s book … abeg don’t kill me.

Last week Sunday, I attended the book launch for Toke Makinwa’s “On Becoming.” I was not there to mix and mingle or eat chocolate cake (although the spread was delicious), my sole purpose for being at that event was “business.”

More specifically, my mission was to finalize the details of putting the book “On Becoming” on the OkadaBooks platform. This had been my obsession for the past seven days, I had placed several calls, sent several emails, sacrificed small animals to different gods of the land … all to ensure that “On Becoming” landed on OkadaBooks on Monday, November 28th.

My reward for all my stalking sacrifices (quite literally) was an impromptu invitation to Toke’s secret book launch. This was where I hoped to close the deal! And I did … because as I left the event that Sunday, I was assured that the book will be on OkadaBooks the following Monday.

But the next day, the book was nowhere to be found. I called to find out what might be causing the hold up. And I was re-assured that deal was still in place, but I could sense that something was quite different. I couldn’t quite place it, but I felt something had changed over night. What could it be?

But I really did not have time to figure it out, because our team was getting bombarded with requests for the book. Our users wanted to know (like me) why the book was not yet on the store, so I was caught up in the middle of appeasing a frustrated user base while still searching for the answers on what may have caused the sudden change in tone.

It didn’t take long though, because the answer came to me in the form of a Whatsapp (group chat) message that read:

“Do you guys want a copy of Toke’s new book?”

And before anyone could type “up NEPA!” the PDF of “On Becoming” was in my phone. My heart sank, this was not a scenario I thought was possible. In less than 24 hours the book had leaked!

I downloaded the book hoping that it would be the wrong version, maybe it was a free copy of “50 Shades of Grey” parading as “On Becoming.” But there it was in my phone … the book I had been working hard to get for days had literally forced its way into my phone.

I lifted my head, trying to make sense of what had just happened, trying to figure out ways to control the leak, trying to see if our company could still salvage the situation, all these thoughts were forming in my head when my co-worker screamed:

“I just got Toke’s book, my sister sent it to me from America.”

The PDF had already visited the embassy, travelled to America and returned to Nigeria in less than 13 minutes! The leak was full blown and definitely out of control!

I felt gutted, as a company we had hoped that this book would prove that writing was still a profitable venture in Nigeria. But right before my eyes, specifically in my phone, all that seemed to fade.

The first thing that came to my mind was “Ah Nigerians, we like to spoil market sha!”

That was the phrase that engulfed my thoughts in my moment of anger. A targeted lash out at Nigerians as if somehow all Nigerians were to blame for the PDF copy of “On Becoming” in my phone and my co-worker’s phone and the cleaner’s phone and cleaners gateman’s phone.

But I was wrong to think that way, because piracy is not a Nigerian thing, that is always the easiest finger to point. Rather piracy is a human thing. I will explain…

If you create a popular product that everybody wants to gets, but it is very hard to get it legally, people by their human nature will create and search for the illegal alternative. This is fact…this is the reality of things.

In America, piracy is countered not with lawsuits or product restriction but rather by creating an abundance of simple and legal gateways to get products, that’s how they fight piracy primarily.

Look at music for example, in America you have 5000+ Walmart stores selling music CDs, you have Spotify, you have Tidal, you have iTunes and thousands more ways to get music. Like illegal PDFs flying into my phone in Nigeria, you will find thousands of legal music apps in America begging to enter your phone. But not only are these legal gateways abundant, they are also very simple to use, enter your credit card in iTunes once and you will buy 1000 songs without realizing it … seamless.

But in Nigeria it is not the case… try and buy from iTunes, FOREX wahala, buy in Naira, you will wait for them to send you OTP code to verify .. that’s if you even find the song to buy. The scarcity of simple and legal avenues to get our products inevitably creates an environment where pirates thrive.

Moving back to books …

streetCassava Republic one of the top publishers in Nigeria have their books available in 33 bookstores in Nigeria, but 50% of those book stores are located in Lagos and Abuja. To understand how underwhelming that figure is, according to the Open Education DataBase there were over 10,000 bookstores in America in 2012. These are physical bookstores, which does not even include the plethora of digital alternatives from Kobo to Kindle to Smash Words that Americans are exposed to. Cassava Republic’s publoishing counterparts Farafina/Kachifo home of Chimamanda Adichie have an even lower figure of 22 bookstores. Basically, if you want to buy Adichie’s Half of A Yellow Sun there are a whooping 22 book stores you can find it at. Twenty-two.

Are you beginning to see what we have created?

A nation of 200 million Nigerians with 36 states, can only get books of her major publishers from just 33 book stores primarily located in 2 major states! That’s roughly one book store for every 6 million Nigerians! So why are we surprised that book piracy thrives in our country. To find a book legally outside of Lagos and Abuja in Nigeria, is like searching for Oil in the North East, it’s quite difficult. Imagine if we had 33,000 bookstores instead of 33 bookstores? Our book industry and authors will comfortably add 3 zero’s behind their usual earnings.

So until we flood the market with legal alternatives for our music, our movies and our books, we would be fighting pirates forever.

And there is not a singular solution, as CEO of OkadaBooks one would expect me to scream digital. But for me I scream everything, I scream working with the street hawkers like the newspaper industry to legally sell our books, I scream building more book stores in other states outside the big 2, I scream flirting with digital alternatives like OkadaBooks (I couldn’t help it) … but whatever the case we need to keep screaming out solutions until we finds way to drown out piracy by flooding the market with legal alternatives.

Back to Toke’s book, as an author myself, one of the most crushing things is to see your hard work distributed for free. Even though there are few options to get books legally in Nigeria, I still urge people to strive to find the legal options. Not just for the author but so that our nation can grow to recognize and appreciate the value her artists have.

Okechukwu Ofili is a trouble maker, the author of 4 books and speaks at organizations that are tired of hearing the same old stuff and want the truth. He is also the founder of okadabooks.com and blogs daily at ofilispeaks.com You can follow him on Twitter or stalk him on Instagram You can also read his funny books on konga or okadabooks

1. Prince Charming

December 7, 2016 at 2:41 pm

Piracy is killing creativity in Nigeria. The government needs to act.

• tunmi

December 7, 2016 at 4:43 pm

This particular issue is not on the government. Truly, it’s on entrepreneurs. Like Ofili said, having more legal ways to purchase something would help counter the illegal ways. Take Naija films for example, till now, I don’t know of a legal way to purchase Nigerian movies. I really do not know. BN fam, help me please. Where can I legally buy Naija films?

• Ememobong

December 7, 2016 at 5:24 pm

Nigerian home videos are a lot more accessible than Nigerian Literature books. You will most likely see at least one movie vendor on every busy street. A lot of the home video manufacturers try to make the products as cheap as possible hence the flimsy and cheap packaging. However, I discovered that the Nigerian block buster movies ?, i.e the ones that show in the cinema before becoming available on DVD are alot harder to access and when you do, the original copy is usually expensive.

• Prince Charming

December 7, 2016 at 5:38 pm

@Tunmi, Ofili got it wrong. Even if there are more legal ways to get books, but there are also cheaper, pirated copies or free downloadables, my country people will definitely go for the cheaper option. Need I remind you that Nigerians love freebies. One of the reasons why Buhari won the election was because of the promise he made to put every unemployed youth on a monthly stipend of 5k. 5k for doing absolutely nothing!

• Jumoke

December 8, 2016 at 3:51 pm

irokotv.com

• FasholasLover

December 7, 2016 at 5:05 pm

I got illegal copies too – twice and l called the senders thieves. Both of them laughed and told me to calm down. I deleted becos, l already bought copies online for myself and for some friends. No, l did not share my legit copy. I gifted my friends theirs. There is something abhorrent in stealing someone’s hard work. Yet, we all shout corruption.

• Okechukwu Ofili

December 7, 2016 at 7:02 pm

I tend to disagree. With the data I have seen and I could be wrong Nigerians will buy when they have legal and simple alternatives. But again I could be wrong.

2. Lala

December 7, 2016 at 2:46 pm

Thanks Ofili for this insight. Nigerians don’t think piracy is a crime including those who studied abroad and were well tutored about the consequences of plagiarism. Take a look at Nigerian blogs for example. There’s nothing wrong in writing a story from another news source but you must rewrite it in your own words and not lift it word for word. From Bellanaija to Linda Ikeji, they are all guilty of it. Bellanaija sometimes lifts an entire paragraph while lindaikeji lifts the entire story word for word- somebody else’s sweat. How much more the common man on the streets.

With Nollywood, cinema has become the saving grace else that industry would have packed up. We think we are smart but for every pirated copy of a movie, book etc that we get for free, that’s another unemployed person on the streets- a potential robber who would smash your windscreen to steal as you drive to work.

That said, print copies of anything other than children’s books are on the decline as more people buy digital. I think that there’s already been a backlash against disruptive technologies and acute automation. Even in the West, youth unemployment is on the rise with Italy having over 40% youth unemployment. Nigeria must have up to 60% youth unemployment. Where’s the world headed?

• Stephanie-feld

December 7, 2016 at 3:10 pm

They don’t get it. I remember back in college this Nigerian guy plagiarized his Ph.D. Thesis. The thesis was scanned on turn-it-in.com and voila everything was exposed. You work so hard to create something and someone just clicks ctrl c and ctrl v.

3. Amanda

December 7, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Piracy and plagiarism are two things that thrive in Nigeria. The other day I was reading a complaint online from someone who said a huge chunk of what he wrote in a project was used by some other student for his own book. People making money off of other people’s hard work. Copying of someone’s work – presenting it like it’s their own creation without citing the source. Complete eradication will be hard but there should be a way to curb it with penalties.

• Bleed Blue

December 8, 2016 at 9:15 am

It baffles me why people use other people’s work (photos inclusive) without the simple matter of crediting the source.

Some of you blogs will just type out the source as a hashtag, essentially saying that since you did a hashtag search on Instagram, anything you find there can be used as long as you cite that hashtag.

Haba! Someone else’s sweat? Is it so difficult to showcase the talent of others? Did you pay for the person’s time? Is it the extra words you have to type to credit the person properly that is the problem?

BN, one of these days, we have to talk. We really have to.

4. Wana

December 7, 2016 at 2:57 pm

I love you Ofili. From the first day you came to my University to speak, I was just amazed at how well you have done for yourself. Your thoughts are always well-articulated and you always speak with depth on social media and in person. It is safe to say I have bought all your books and I pray your company and your other businesses continue to grow and flourish. Amen

Ps: I know this is not related to the article..Just in case you want to reach out to me for more prayers, here’s my illegitimate email I use so no one can identify me: [email protected]

• LemmeRant

December 7, 2016 at 9:09 pm

Did he tell you he was looking for a wife?

• EE

December 8, 2016 at 12:17 am

Wanna Ferg

Subtle!

• Nuna

December 8, 2016 at 9:12 am

Prayers indeed. lmaooo

5. zenzsi

December 7, 2016 at 3:00 pm

I think that Toke and her team did not work enough to protect her intellectual property. See, i wanted to buy 3 books, Toke “On becoming”, The Regent of carthage and When hope whispers by Zoleka Mandela.
    Appart from “On becoming”, you cannot find free copies of the other books online as pdf and why so? Because as a novice, Toke did not think of piracy, but her team should have known better. She should have tried to go after the websites that were giving away her hard work and try to get them to shut down, but instead, she put on a post saying that she had heard of her work being shared for free. This action of hers drew more people to look for the free version. It is very sad!
    I bought a copy for £4.99 on iBook, why spoil the efforts of others and plan mischief against your fellow? Toke, God will shame the devil as more and more people will patronise you regardless.

6. hmm

December 7, 2016 at 3:13 pm

this one came to advertise his business. kmt

• The Real Oma

December 7, 2016 at 3:20 pm

And what is wrong with that???

• A-nony

December 7, 2016 at 4:09 pm

Your Ignorance is at the peak of mount everest!

7. Anon

December 7, 2016 at 3:38 pm

This has to be one of your best articles to date.

Corruption impacts all facets of life in Nigeria.

• Prince Charming

December 7, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Anon the dummy! You always have something to say. Dumbass busybody!

• A Real Nigerian

December 7, 2016 at 7:18 pm

You are the real dummy, idiot.

• Anon

December 7, 2016 at 8:59 pm

There are several Anon handles on Bella Naija. You are mixing me up with someone who had a go at you.

• Stephanie-feld

December 8, 2016 at 9:48 am

Darius aka Prince Charming I hope you know that there are several people with Anon Handles. It seems like your self esteem is still low from the rejection you got three years ago. You are no different from the girl that rudely rejected you. You are one and the same. The girl might also say she dodged a bullet.

• Prince Charming

December 7, 2016 at 8:05 pm

@A Fake Nigeria, awwww, I made you cry yesderday. I know you are still hurting. Is it because I told you a truth? Learn to wash your hands after you use the restroom. Dirty b***h! I pity your husband! He has a pot belly because you feed him with unwholesome food. Dirty f**k!

• What an ass

December 7, 2016 at 11:36 pm

Bella why is a comment this vulgar posted? Your screening team is doing a poor job cause this ignorant fellow is supposed to be blocked.

• Darius

December 8, 2016 at 5:48 am

What an ass, it is called freedom of expression. Idiot!

• Fisayo

December 8, 2016 at 9:21 am

And there you have it.

Darius (good guy) and Prince Charming (rude guy) have been the same person all along.

Eya…multiple personality levels, don’t worry, we are many that split our personas online depending on what we want to say. Legion things…lol…

• Stephanie-feld

December 8, 2016 at 9:33 am

Darius alias prince charming – You are the same person. Your Avatar has exposed you. That’s how on some other post you typed you agreed with prince charming when it was actually you agreeing with yourself.

• Prince Charming

December 8, 2016 at 11:17 am

@Fisayo, someone is trying to impersonate me. I don’t know who Darius is. You guys are mistaking me for someone I don’t know a thing about.

8. Marian

December 7, 2016 at 3:42 pm

Thanks for writing this.
    I wasn’t interested in the book till i discovered the whole book was online less than 24hrs in a compressed file. It was the raw publishers copy not the finished product. So not like someone bought a copy and leaked it more like someone with direct access like toke, ghost writer, an editor, publisher or close friend leaked it. I was actually convicted and ended up not reading the book. Not even a fan and i was hurt and took panadol for her headache on top this thing. My hubby was just looking at me like really tbough? Lol. They could have been so allover this. Like over 7k downloads before they threatened one of the sites to take it down. I was just burning like really? How can they wait days before doing anything. I even sent emails and stuff. Like i took this leak personal yo.

• zensi

December 7, 2016 at 4:09 pm

Indeed, that was an inside job! Toke is still very much naive like some of us.
      Some people surrounding her, are just taking advantage of her vulnerability like Maje did, they have not her best interests at heart. But despite the leak, she will rise and some of us have already bought her book and others will continue to do so.
      When God is on your side, whatever the enemy does will not slow down your progress and that is the reality of Toke’s “becoming”. May God guides her all the days of her life.

9. A Real Nigerian

December 7, 2016 at 3:47 pm

#PirateBay4Life

10. Sweets

December 7, 2016 at 4:08 pm

NICE AND INTERESTING WRITE UP

11. BlueEyed

December 7, 2016 at 4:22 pm

Umm the bit about buying songs from iTunes in Nigeria being difficult is hard to believe, as I have used my Nigerian card to buy songs from the Nigerian store on both iTunes and Apple Music, and on those occasions it was very seamless, the same way it is in other places I have done so.
    Apple has a very seamless payment procedure, once you are registered be sure that registration is legit, and recently they announced (via email) that the Nigerian Store will be using Naira, in replacement for the Dollar.

• Ememobong

December 7, 2016 at 5:36 pm

When I purchased an ipod in 2005, I use to make use of the iTunes Store to purchase music and build my library. Back then I was based in the UK and to me 50p per song was not too bad. Now I still have an extensive music library on my phone but all my downloads are free from all sorts of music ? websites. I really can’t imagine spending money on downloading music any more. Of course every now and then I purchase a Nigerian artist cd for the paltry sum of N150. Life is good.

• Okechukwu Ofili

December 7, 2016 at 7:24 pm

@BlueEyed that’s why I mentioned FOREX with iTunes, the exchange rate makes it difficult. If they are about to go Naira then that is good news =D

• Kingsley Mangai Mallan

December 8, 2016 at 3:42 am

Ofili, can you just try something?
      Open a store in Jos, Plateau state.
      Konga tried it in Jos and it’s covering Bauchi, Gombe,Taraba et al-i stand to be corrected though.
      We want to buy but can’t see these books to buy.
      The phone batteries don’t last a life time!
      I need to smell my books while reading!
      I’m begging.

12. Baby gurl

December 7, 2016 at 4:59 pm

Just after I commented earlier today that I miss Ofili! I’m saddened by this too. My housemate has that PDF. My bestie came over last Saturday and asked me if I want the PDF from her laptop. I’m not in the slightest bit interested in reading that book however if I must, it would be the legit copy, bought from a bookstore hardcopy or soft copy. I don’t know why people don’t see piracy as a crime. It beats me. When I used to buy songs on Google Play my stupid friends will laugh and shake their heads like I was the stupid one. “1 song for 99p? You’re rich o”. People should be paid for whatever service or product they sweated for. I dunno what Toke’s team did to curb or prevent this, but as we can see, it was not enough.

• Ememobong

December 7, 2016 at 5:29 pm

Toke Makinwa will still make her money despite all the piracy. The soft copy of the book costs N5000, that is quite steep and almost every lady below the age of 45 is quite eager to read the book hence the popularity of the pirated version circulating around. Me sef read am. The book will eventually cost much less in about a year or two for those who are interested in building their personal library. Wer done Toke, Miss Controversy herself.

• Okechukwu Ofili

December 7, 2016 at 7:06 pm

Its tough. Lots of publishers are facing piracy issues in Nigeria,. Sometimes the pirated copy is better than the original…you will trip. But I do think that if we in the publishing industry come together and strategize we can tilt the scale back in the favor of the publishers and away from the pirates.

• Grace Gwaza

December 8, 2016 at 4:35 am

Okechukwu, I agree with all you’ve said especially about availability of books to minimize piracy. However, Nigerian publishers are unrealistic with their demands on Nigerian booksellers. Let me explain. I ran a bookstore in PH for 7 years before I relocated to Canada. As a matter of principle, I never sold pirated books. I bought wholesale from bookstores like Laterna when I needed a book urgently to meet a customers need. I was privileged to have attended several international book fairs and had accounts with major publishing houses. These publishers never placed a rule on the number of books you could purchased at discounted rates offered to international buyers. I could purchase as little as five copies of any book I wanted. I could sit in my store in PH and order five copies of a book from Random House, do a transfer and have the books shipped to me.

I remember once I wanted to buy from kachifo and was told I could only get a discount if I purchased 50 copies! What do a small bookstore like mine do with 50 copies of a book. Why should I tie down money on 50 copies of a single book! Am not asking for credit, am willing to pay you cash, but no you want your returns immediately without the adverts, promotion, book signing tours that international publishers invest in. Of course I passed. If Nigerian publishers want their books available in all bookstores they must be willing to work together with bookstores across the country, promote these books and their authors ( one thing I learnt in book selling is that majority of readers, buy authors. The author must be known by both the bookseller and the reader) Most importantly give a reasonable discount and don’t attach it 50 copies.

I hope this helps. Am passionate about books and do pray that the book industry in Nigeria grows and finds her place among the nations.

13. "changing moniker"

December 7, 2016 at 5:14 pm

wish she has given Okadabooks the contract before she even did the launch. she waited too long.

14. Sally

December 7, 2016 at 5:14 pm

I received the book via Whatsapp unsolicited. And I read it immediately. But I later bought it on okadabooks. Thank God for the N1M Dbanj gave Toke. Toke used it as a fundraiser. That’s why she and her team didn’t bother to act against piracy.

15. Confuzzled

December 7, 2016 at 5:25 pm

A few unstructured thoughts:
    1. I’d hazard a guess and say that at least 70% of the people that downloaded that book would not have paid money to read it. They only read it cos its free and accessible. So there’s that.

2. Cassava Republic only having 33 stores in Nigeria is not a big deal. There are easily thousands of bookstores in Nigeria. Don’t believe me? Go to the nearest market and find out. Nigerians are HUGE readers, and where available, Nigerians will buy non pirated works. Check out the church publishers. Have you ever seen a fake copy of Open Heavens? And religious publications are widely available nationwide. Lantern books (publishers of many of the books most of us used in sec school) is another publisher that has figured this out. .Clearly there is a viable distribution system that publishers like Cassava need to tap into if they want to reach the everyday Nigerian.

3. The problem of piracy in Nigeria is not a corruption problem, its also a supply chain/distribution problem. Nigerians love going to the movies but we have precious few movie theaters in the country. Nigerians love to listen to music but the only people selling physical copies are the pirates. Where are the legitimate outlets that sell these products? Until those outlets exist for the everyday Nigerian, piracy will thrive.

4. I haven’t read Toke’s book, but she’s definitely made a name for herself and I admire her hustle. Her story is the story of many many Nigerian women (especially shoddy treatment and infidelity by spouse), and I admire her boldness to put it all out there. Might inspire others to walk away from people that clearly don’t care about them.

• Okechukwu Ofili

December 7, 2016 at 7:22 pm

I hear you. Nigeria technically has lots of bookstores, probably 100,000’s but the ones that are currently set-up for publishers to distribute their books and engage in financial transaction without running a loss are probably less than 100. I can give you tales of sorrow of bookstores carrying my author money but I will save that for another post.

16. Ermmm...

December 7, 2016 at 5:28 pm

Great piece as always from Ofili. However, I wouldn’t doubt anything in this piece if I hadn’t personally paid N1500 for the book on Okadabooks and finished it last week Wednesday…am I missing something or was it a preview that I read?

17. Mz Socially Awkward...

December 7, 2016 at 5:31 pm

Ofilli, that photo of you… El Oh El.

You’re legitimately not alright. 😀

So, down to the koko. I’m feeling convicted in my spirit as I still have a free and unread copy of the book sitting in my inbox. And sent without my asking but the intention is to find time somewhere during the upcoming holidays to read it.

However, I wanted to ask a genuine question that I’ve been wondering about – is it unethical to loan out an e-copy in the same way that I would probably loan out a hardcopy book (bought with my money and which I wanted to share with someone) or a CD (again, the same)?

Undoubtedly, if the document was leaked by someone in Toke’s publishing house then that primary illegal deed overshadows all others… but if a properly bought copy was lent out, is that wrong in itself? As a tangent to this, I’m also thinking about the sellers on Amazon who resell used books (& sometimes they’re libraries who may themselves have received the books as free donations from people) … and wondering how the IP rights there are affected…

(Note that I’ve never bought an e-book as I’m very traditional about flipping through actual paper and seeing the spines of my books stare back at me from my bookshelf. So if there’s a disclaimer attached with e-sales which answers these questions, I haven’t come across it yet…)

• Marian

December 7, 2016 at 10:19 pm

I use kindle and it allows me to loan out my ebooks to other people. While on loan i’m not able to read it. In my opnion i think it’s okay. I’ve never felt convicted or bad about sharing a textbook or any book i bought with my money with friends and i treat ebooks the same way now.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

December 8, 2016 at 12:11 pm

Thanks for answering the question… and that makes good sense, if only one person has access to the book at any given time (much and such the same with the hardcopy). 🙂

• BJ

December 10, 2016 at 1:08 am

Marian make your friend and loan out Toke’s book to me for 2 days on kindle 🙂

18. Truthie

December 7, 2016 at 5:35 pm

Still wondering how it leaked…
    When i went to download it online, I seriously thought someone bought the book and made a photocopy, but no, it was the pdf of the book.
    Either their laptop was hacked or, an insider actually leaked it. But i wonder how the pirates will make money since its being downloaded for free?
    Nice article, Ofili. And good book, Toke!

• Okechukwu Ofili

December 7, 2016 at 7:04 pm

The pirates might make money from google ads on their sight.

• A Real Nigerian

December 7, 2016 at 7:19 pm

I sight your English. ?

• Prince Charming

December 7, 2016 at 8:58 pm

@A Fake Nigerian, you are such a fakeass grammarian.

19. Pat

December 7, 2016 at 6:13 pm

Ofili, welcome back to writing on Belanaija. Bellanaija! This is what we need quality content not articles that clouds our mentality.

20. Sayo

December 7, 2016 at 7:16 pm

Ofili is right.
    For some strange reason,i couldnt find it on my own ibooks,i downloaded okadabooks cos of the book & was quite pissed it wasn’t there so when my sister told me she got the PdF copy unsolicited,i told her to send to me biko.
    Of course i’m no longer interested in paying for it

21. kbabe

December 7, 2016 at 9:13 pm

Just wondering why people downloaded bootleg copies of Toke’s book and not Arese’s Smart Money book. Nigerians and gossip!!

• Mz Socially Awkward....

December 8, 2016 at 12:14 pm

I think the answer is probably similar to what someone said about Open Heavens. So far in my own experience, it’s not possible to get hold of a bootleg copy of the devotional and that must be down to something their publishing team are doing correctly.

Maybe Arese secured the same kind of security for her work because I’ve only ever seen the hardcopy of that book floating about (and it’s also interesting to note that quite a lot of Nigerians have been buying that book).

22. bambii2

December 7, 2016 at 10:06 pm

Just want to let you know that the copy in the states…is the full copy. Besides there are other things to talk about besides this damn toke. Sorry…not sorry

23. Relax

December 7, 2016 at 10:10 pm

pls how do I get a free copy… I’m what is wrong with the world n I’ve made peace with it

24. Nunulicious

December 7, 2016 at 11:14 pm

#guilty. I was sent the pdf copy of the book though it was unsolicited. I read it with guilt knowing that toke ought to be paid for her intellectual property but when I searched, i didn’t find a legal way of getting it. I admire Toke’s hustle and I guess it shouldn’t be by mouth only. Sigh.

• Envy

December 8, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Then you did not do your homework well. Amazon through kindle, Apple through iBook are selling it since. But all the blame should go on Toke and her Team. Her reaction to the sabotage was very much nonchalant. Toke you need to do better to promote your work, actually, you should have started months before the actual release. You should also refrain from snubbing your fan when they are trying to alert you on anything that is going wrong with the book.

25. Ireti Bakare -Yusuf

December 8, 2016 at 3:21 pm

Thanks for this. It a good read and you makes lots of very good points

However, in your passion or eagerness to get hold of Toke Makinwa’s book, you forgot a critical and most pertinent factor – Is there a market, hunger, and enough demand for books in Nigeria to make opening a book shop a profitable business venture. Methinks not..

At the end of the day, a book shop is a retail business, how many books do they sell in a day, a week, a month to even cover their cost? Surely if there was money in it, no one would have to remind entrepreneurial Nigerians (who are always and ever so hungry to make money) to delve into the business of selling books, its a no-brainer ! ?!

Ultimately, the government, schools, arts-bodies etc, need to come together to promote reading as a form of entertainment. What government can do as a quick win, is to have a policy where sponsorship on books or reading event comes with a tax benefit for the organisation and watch how organisations suddenly start promoting books and reading as their main CSR !! There is a problem in Nigeria, one that needs managing as a matter of urgency, Most organisations especially the multi-nationals, instruct their Chief marketing officers to target the youth, but the detriment of that is that they presume that Nigerian youths are only interested in Music, therefore the majority of sponsorship and marketing budgets are spent accordingly.

So my dear Offili, i applaud those of you who stay focused on promoting reading and publishing in Nigeria in spite of all the pitfalls and the low return on effort. But the pressure must and remains with government and certain parastatals to promote a stronger sustainable and enjoyable reading culture ! Books are fun, lets spread the word!!

Until then, Long live Cassava Republic ! Long live Okadabooks! Long live all publishers.

26. Ony

December 11, 2016 at 10:35 pm

It’s funny, you guys think that Toke needs the revenue from the book. Its an investment in branding, the returns will come in sponsorships and new gigs. Hence the delay in attacking piracy.

27. Oluwakemi

April 15, 2017 at 9:50 am

this article is really helpful to me especially since am writing a thesis on protection of works in the digital environment. i cited okadabooks as one of the trusted systems we have in Nigeria and how such should be encouraged and promoted. as a matter of fact, i have adopted some of your recommendations (citing this article) as part of the recommendations for my works. DMCA which adopted WCT has set the pace, ihope we follow suit soon… thank you.