Features

Shaun Kalu: Everyone Wants to Live…So Who Dies?

Shaun Kalu

I was sitting in church during a prayer session and the prayer point kicking against ‘’the spirit of death’’ came up. The intensity with which the congregation mouthed out the prayer points went up a hundred times more. People were screaming, rolling on the floor, moving objects out of the way and even making dramatic gestures like kicking the air and fighting imaginary “enemies”.

“I and my family will not die this year! Say after me!’’ The pastor shouts out. I just sat there wondering. Who then will die if everyone wants to live? It was just a random thought, but it brought me up to a few realisations. The reality is people will die every day, every week and every year. Loved ones, friends, brothers, sisters, fathers and mothers of people will die. As harsh as it sounds, it’s the painful reality. Death is largely inevitable and we would all walk through that door.

So what now? 2017 is here and we all wish for a bed of roses and a beautiful, eventful, colour filled year. But life isn’t going to serve you bread and butter every other day. We can’t tell for sure what will happen tomorrow or the other days of the year, but we can trust God to take care of everything that concerns us. I found that resting in God’s will is the best way to live. This is because, we can be sure that every rain drop that struck the tip of your head was permitted by him and he indeed has control of every situation that concerns us. So in 2017, let God lead the way.

Another important thing to note is that family and friends worth being called family are our backbone. These relationships are priceless and can never be taken away from us. In spite of all the happenings around us, we know we have strong shoulders to rest on when we grow weary and need words of advice and encouragement. Also, don’t get me wrong. Surely, we will smile all through this year. And when all the great things happen (and surely they will), we will also have our families to celebrate those moments with us.

Going into 2017, we must keep moving forward. Obstacles can’t keep us from achieving great things and leading a life that is exemplary.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime

1. someone

January 5, 2017 at 4:50 pm

Oh, but I want to die!

2. Dora

January 5, 2017 at 5:20 pm

Death seems to be a subject no one likes to talk about nor admit in Nigeria and I find it a bit strange and puzzling. I’m not sure if it because we have ignorantly hinged EVERY SINGLE thing on religion and God (including corruption and our dysfunctional sectors, particularly the health sector). I happened to be of a biracial background, and since I was really young, we freely talk about death with my grand mum, aunts etc from the other side. But my Nigerian relatives, once you mention the word DEATH, they scream “God forbid”!!! “It is not our potion”!!! and their likes. My mother has since told us in which compound of our house she wants to be buried and what clothes not to dress her in (she hates the colour brown… Oh and she doesn’t want that pancake they plaster on corpses at the mortuary. She wants to be make up free:) ). And she wasn’t saying this because she was about to die or ill or anything. In fact she has lived healthily for over 20 years since she told us this and is still counting. And we weren’t sad or anything when she said this coz she was simply empowering us with vital information as to her innermost wishes. So I really am not sure why people avoid the subject, when it is clearly inevitable and natural part of human existence. Please can some one educate me or give me their own point of view on this issue coz I have struggle with it for a while?

P:S: My aunty has already contracted a funeral provider and paid for all expenses for her funeral as she doesn’t want to be a burden to her kids. She did this at 35 and she is 65 now and very happy and enthusiastic about life

• dami

January 5, 2017 at 8:05 pm

mschew! whats so important about dying that they (your people) have attached so much importance.

Live and lets live! It is the prayer we should all live long and healthy.

• India

January 6, 2017 at 6:41 am

@ dami- why are you hissing? Dora asked a valid question and the least you can do is give her a valid answer or no answer at all.

@ Dora – I dont enjoy typing lengthy comments on here so I’ll say quickly, I understand your confusion. I’m full on Nigerian and as much as possible I try to”number my days, so I may be wise in all that I say and do” like the bible directs. I think, like everything Nigerian, people tend to bury their heads in the sand until it’s too late or until it’s someone else’s problem.

Personally, I would like to be cremated. I can’t tell my family this, so I’ve communicated my wishes to my partner and will leave it in my will along with the money to fund it. ?

3. Amaka

January 5, 2017 at 10:33 pm

Not wanting to die is not Nigerian specific. In fact if you see how much some people spend on not wanting to die in the Western world, you will be shocked. They don’t even want to grow old. Now wanting to die is individualistic and that is because many people still need to fulfill purpose which they will give account for, some have not even asked their creator why he made them. Some who want to die think death is just a transition. If you understand and believe in the reality of heaven and hell, you will think properly. Some things are easier to say. Where will you go when you die? Food for thoughts. Take this matter seriously. Death is no joke. No coming back except you get a second chance and got raised.

4. kwem

January 5, 2017 at 11:58 pm

yes! death is inevitable. Nevertheless, if you want to live and you feel fighting imaginary enemies will add extra hours to your life, fight well. If you want to be the event planner at your funeral, plan well. To each his own