Features

Onyinye Njoku: What You Need to Know About Cesarean Births

So, I got into a heated argument with somebody, a very clueless “someborry” at that. How dare you say that real women do not have cesarean births? In other words, you are saying that it is some sort of failure on a woman’s part if she doesn`t push a baby out through her “huu-haa”.

Having been through the cesarean process myself, you can now understand why I am so mad. I have heard such funny things over time, even women begin to doubt themselves when faced with option of having a C.S. You hear things like, “Aunty I don born oh” than she sighs “But na C. S shaa”. What’s with the negativity? You would have rather died. I have also heard painful stories of some people refusing to be sectioned because “my pastor said I will give birth like the Hebrew women”. Jeez! You are not even Hebrew. A doctor won’t just spring a C.S on you, there must have been some concerns about your health or even your baby’s. Why shun the doctor`s advice and die in the process?….I know God is the Almighty, but he gave those doctors wisdom and knowledge so as to help you and I

Let me calm down a bit. I would like to take you on the C.S journey, so that you understand what a woman actually goes through to procreate through that method. Most importantly if you are a woman and you have been booked for a C.S, this will give you an idea of what`s coming. I will divide it into 3 stages:

The Prep
At this point you must have agreed on a date with your doctor, you come in with all your items of course then you get admitted. You would have been advised not to eat anything some hours before as well, so you could be a little hungry, but you have to bear it. If you have a fear for needles, you better get over it because they will “chook” you anyhow. They will set a line for the I.V (as in what we call drip), Of course that’s going to hurt, especially if they don`t get your vein on the first try. Let me also mention that a canola is inserted to contain your urine as you won’t be able to stand for a while, now this is one of my least favorite things. It’s a little tube that goes up your urethra. Just imagine a worm wriggling up your “huuhaa”, you have to be really still so you don’t get bruised in the process.

The Theatre
You will be wheeled in, this is now time to face the music. The anesthesia they now use is pretty cool, it’s injected into your spine and it numbs your lower body. It doesn’t knock you off, so you will be awake the whole time. Then they start cutting, honestly its creepy hearing your own body being cut. They make an incision below your abdomen, then the party starts. You just hear the surgeons mumbling their gibberish, then they talk to you once in a while they literally butcher you. After a little while, wait for it! They begin to drag your skin. I mean it, they drag from both directions. You would think they want to rip you apart. They drag for a while, when they are satisfied, one person puts his hands in and brings out your baby (smiling-my fave part of course, I actually weep for joy), they congratulate you, cut the umbilical cord and take out the placenta.

The little bubba would be screaming his lungs out, they will take him away to be cleaned. Then comes the job of sewing you back up, while this is going on Oga anesthesiologist will be pumping you with more drugs. There is this one that may make you throw up a bit.  Thankfully, the incision is a small horizontal cut on your lower abdomen, so you don’t end up with the big vertical scar like our mothers had. Most hospitals also sew you up so nicely that the stitches kind of “disappear”into the skin, so you don’t need to take them out when the wound is healed (doctors help me explain biko). It takes 20-30 minutes to get you stitched up, they clean your body up. Remember you are stark naked, and these doctors will see everything while they are cleaning you up, so don’t be a prude and put your shame aside. The whole surgery may take 2-3 hours.

The Recovery
Congratulations! You are a mama now. You have been wheeled back to the ward and you are feeling good after all the anesthesia is still having its effect on your body. Take a short nap and wake up………”you go now know say khaki no be leather”. The drugs have worn off, so you will feel like you just got run over by a truck. I cannot describe the pain to you…….it is crazy. They give you pain killers but they do nothing, There is this pointy looking tablet that they even insert into your butt, yes! Your butt. Any form of pressure on the wound is a painful reminder, You cough……it hurts;…..You laugh…….it hurts;…..You as much as move a leg………Lord have mercy!

For vaginal birth, the pain is in the delivery, for the C.S, it’s in the recovery. Don`t forget you still have the urine tube which is very uncomfortable coupled with heavy vaginal bleeding (Sorry to gross you out). You still have not eaten anything as well. They may let you be for that day, but the nurses will come to get you out of bed. My brethren, the first time you get to move your body, it will feel like time has stopped. Every nerve in your body will protest in pain, but the good news is once you are on your feet and move around a little….the pain reduces considerably.

Then gradually, as soon as they have confirmed that your bowel movements have been restored or you even pass gas, you are introduced to drinking warm water, semi-solid foods, then in a day or two you can be swallowing eba or even roasted yam. Anyway, with all this going on, bonding with your baby will make you forget your pain and discomfort and in 3-5 days you will likely be discharged, that`s if the doctors don’t have any issues concerning you or the baby.

I am not trying to gross anybody out or scare anyone, but I want you to appreciate how amazing and strong you are for procreating through whatever means.  Vaginal deliveries or C-sections aren’t easy, it all boils down to the goal of having a healthy baby. Don`t let anybody talk down on you because you had a C.S, it doesn’t make you any less of a mother than the next person. I do agree that, the surgery can be pretty expensive, but you really can’t put a price-tag on your life and that of your baby. A safe delivery is simply defined by hearing the voice of the mother and the cry of the baby. So whenever you are told that you need to be sectioned for whatever reason, say your prayers, wear your superwoman vest, Go into that theater and get your baby like a boss-lady. We all need you and that baby alive.

Photo Credit: Jbrown777 | Dreamstime.com

My name is Onyinye Njoku, A wife, mum and an accountant. So when I`m not bending over spreadsheets or catering to my family I`m listening to the random voices in my head and writing down what they say to me. I also have a terrible sweet tooth. ☺

1. Rose

February 9, 2017 at 3:28 pm

Whatever people like let them say, not bothered at all. CS ti take over. All three births elective CS.

I don’t care.

• Tade

February 9, 2017 at 5:20 pm

Healthy mum. Healthy baby is what the Lord wants.

2. Wow

February 9, 2017 at 3:36 pm

all i can say is “every birth is a hugeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee testimony”. No be small thing.

3. largerthanlifealice

February 9, 2017 at 3:38 pm

i just got engaged soon this would be my story…..im scared.

• pepe

February 9, 2017 at 5:31 pm

don’t be,have faith and God will see you thru,Amen

• Anu

February 9, 2017 at 6:17 pm

Everything will be ok,the Lord is your strength

• Onyinyechi Njoku

February 10, 2017 at 10:40 am

Please don`t be, you are actually stronger than you know, women are amazing beings and we can go through the most trying situations……Don`t be surprised, it will be a breeze for you. Just have faith.

4. Mum C

February 9, 2017 at 3:42 pm

This article speaks me. I had my baby thru a CS some weeks back and I called a colleague to tell him the good news who in turn told others. A female colleague (funny enough also pregnant with her first) called back almost immediately to congratulate me and she goes “congratulations ooo, was it normal delivery or did they help you thru CS”, I just told her my mum needed me and I’ll call her later and I cut the call. My CS was an emergency one cos I wasnt dilating and my water had broken, to be very honest, I still find it hard to tell people I delivered thru CS cos of the judgemental look they give me, like I’m too weak, even my tummy is still big and people that come to visit keep going “is another baby inside?”, so embarrassing and I cnt really do much for now with regards to exercise and diet, I just hope it goes in considerably before I resume work. *sigh*. I look at my baby and I’m comforted tho. *Rant over*..

• Dentale

February 9, 2017 at 4:05 pm

Congratulations! Please don’t be embarrassed by the CS just to justify other people’s mindsets. Enjoy your beautiful baby and don’t worry about the belly. It will eventually go down (faster if you are breastfeeding). Eat healthy but don’t starve, drink plenty of fluids and go on walks when you can with your baby, either in a stroller or baby carrier. The weight will come off.

• beabea

February 9, 2017 at 4:07 pm

Babe abeg o. We are simply happy you had an healthy birth process, delievry and a baby. every other thing is secondary to that so enjoy the healing process.

You sound pressured and I feel you should not add that to the post delivery/birth stress please.
      Let them say whatever they like, even if you dont return to your perfect body ever again we are grateful to hear another success story.

Not to spite these people but be thanks you are not one of those we lost in the process of child birth or amongst the statistics of those still TTC.

these dayz we care about so many what is not and take the substance for granted. Pleaseeeeeeeeee let people stop talking rubbish. Its okay not to have an opinion over everything.

• Adunnie

February 9, 2017 at 5:02 pm

My lovely Mum C.. You are not weak. There is so much strength in being a woman let alone carrying a child and delivering it.. Humans will always be judgemental, don’t listen to the nay sayers.. CS or vaginal birth the most important thing is that you and your beautiful baby are alive and healthy.. Please don’t feel embarrassed about it. Cut yourself some slack. You brought a baby to the world and that is amazing. You are a mother, please wear that like a crown and let the ignorant folks to keep talking…

• Cocolette

February 9, 2017 at 5:48 pm

Mum C congratulations on the birth of your baby. Just to stress it, don’t let anyone tell you CS is abnormal delivery and there is nothing like ‘normal vaginal delivery’, there is only vaginal delivery and caesarean delivery. A lot of women have lost their lives because they want to be seen as ‘strong’. Ittakes a strong person to go into surgery to birth their child. Own your delivery process, there is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of! Nothing! I don’t understand human beings, would they be happy if one pushed out a dead child per vaginum?! Would that make the person strong?

• Anna

February 9, 2017 at 9:33 pm

Mum C, you formed this little human in you. Your body nourished and protected it right from when he/she was just a cluster of cells. That alone is enough for you to know how amazing you are. How the child came into the world is highly irrelevant. This new human being is breathing and thriving because of you. Nobody can tell you anything. You are far from weak and don’t let anyone make you feel otherwise. Xoxo

• Onyinyechi Njoku

February 10, 2017 at 10:43 am

I totally relate, why do people ask the most annoying questions, Whats`s wrong with just saying “Congratulations” and moving on…..As for the tummy, don’t sweat it, care for your baby, then you can gradually begin to work on yourself, you have a whole lifetime ahead of you to “slay”.

• Hawt Talk With Tosan

February 10, 2017 at 5:25 pm

I have come to realize that many people (especially in Nigeria) are either so uncouth or just derive pleasure in trying to burst your bubble. You did well hanging up on her. Please delete her number as well.

• Olamide

February 11, 2017 at 4:11 pm

You better don’t… you better be counting yourself among the living… had emergence cs too and so damm proud of it.

5. Wande coal

February 9, 2017 at 3:47 pm

Don’t mind a lot of Nigerians. As if they are the ones that decide for God how your birth will turn out like. They are slowly realising that CS births are painful and even more dangerous. So now they’ve switched to judging IVF births. last last, when they’ve run out of what to judge, there’s always Toke Makinwa to anonymously destroy on Bellanaija

6. Dentale

February 9, 2017 at 4:00 pm

Very nice read! I found myself smiling knowingly several times. Having had all my kids via CS, I can second this write-up. The most important learning for me was to get moving even though it seemed unimaginable. A nurse came to take me on a walk on the same day (depends on what time you give birth). It was hell at first but it sped up my recovery. After a week, I was as good as new.
    As for people’s opinions about C-sections, I laugh it off as ignorance after all, opinions are like butt holes, everybody has one.

• Onyinyechi Njoku

February 10, 2017 at 10:43 am

Thank you. I appreciate your compliments.

7. stella Adeola

February 9, 2017 at 4:07 pm

Mehn d most important thing is that u and d baby are doing great,one shld not answer anybody.

8. Ammy

February 9, 2017 at 4:32 pm

My story. Currently 16weeks pregnant. I remember when i and my husband was shopping for a hospital in which I could register for ANC. We went to different hospitals and then my husband will only ask for “normal delivery costs”. When he is done, I will then say “how much does it cost for CS?”. The first time I did that, he was taken aback and did not talk to me throughout the drive home. Few minutes after we got home, he asked “babe why did you ask for cost of CS” and I told him that was because I was actually considering elective CS because mi o le wa ku on top deliver like an Hebrew woman. He started lecturing me about how I do not have faith and how CS is this and that. I sat him down and told him then no dey give award for normal or CS birth and at the end of the day, it’s my choice. He has now resigned himself to the fact that I am going to do elective CS.

Meanwhile in church on Sunday, I was talking to a close friend of mine. She is also preggy but two weeks ahead of me and she is carrying twins. We were talking about somethings and she said she was afraid of episotomy(sp) so I said oh, no need. You may likely deliver through CS since you are carrying multiples. If you see the way my friend did the hand-round-my-head-while-snapping-te-fingers sign of rejection, you would think I wished her death. She actually sent me a WhatsApp message later in the day to warn me not to wish her CS anymore. I sha apologised and say toh, no vex. I no know say you like pain like that.

I am so waiting for anybody that will say anything to my face about my CS delivery after I put to bed. Whether it’s normal delivery o whether it’s CS, the koko is that mother and baby are fine and that is what people should be concerned about!

• Eastern

February 9, 2017 at 5:36 pm

Wow people can be so ignorant. Especially your church friend.

9. Iphie

February 9, 2017 at 4:33 pm

The most important thing is having both mother n child alive. Which ever way it came, is irrelevant.

10. Hey!

February 9, 2017 at 4:52 pm

I’m 20weeks gone and the thought of vaginal delivery scares me a lot. I just burst into tears last week thinking about it. I can’t even tell hubby how scared I am cos he might be worried too. I’m 5’2 and weigh 52kg (for now) so I’m worried about my pelvis. But I’ve been praying to God to see my and baby and I through, healthy mum, healthy baby. While looking for hospitals, I kept asking for their CS packages, at least so we can budget properly.
    This article was really necessary. I don’t even say it out loud that I’m considering CS, everyone around me had their babies via vaginal delivery and I don’t want to feel like a failure but I’m scared. I’m almost crying as I’m typing this.
    And CS is quite expensive too. But thanks so much to the writer for writing out the process. Surgeons in the house, you can also add yours please.

• Nene'sMa

February 10, 2017 at 9:17 pm

No need to be scared, you were made for I, your body can withstand it a lot of younger and smaller girls went through it ND came out alive with their baby, so you can but no one said you can’t decide to have an elective CS either.
      I’m also petite like you, 5’2 and weighed 50kg(ore pregnancy) but I got up to 60kg before baby came. I had her per vagina, I thought i couldn’t do it, even on the delivery bed I was crying out of fear that I won’t be able to but the nurse encouraged me and told me I can and I did.
      My second baby though will be via CS

11. UZOAMAKA

February 9, 2017 at 4:56 pm

I told him that I was actually considering elective CS because “mi o le wa ku” on top deliver like an Hebrew woman. Savage!!!

12. ENIOLA

February 9, 2017 at 4:58 pm

Had AyoJ via CS last August and I’ve never hidden that fact from anyone. Princess was breech. My gynae’s comments were, ” this is not a typical reaction to such news.” after she told me she would schedule me for a CS the following week (at 38 weeks) and I simply said OK.
    I have never felt any less of a superwoman. The only time I cried was when they were preparing me for the theater and it was simply cos I was overcome by emotions, thoughts of the fact that my life was about to change forever.
    So far, nobody has made any *stupid silly dumb* comments about been a weak woman to my hearing and I trust that no one will.

13. hawtchic

February 9, 2017 at 5:01 pm

The stigmatization of us women who have delivered our babies through CS is totally uncalled for. You hear comments like “ha, you were too lazy to push abi?” or “my dear, you’re so lucky you didn’t go through the pain of vaginal delivery”. Biko, help me tell them that CS is PAINFUL, the healing I mean. Everything hurts. Even the vagina that some people try to spare by choosing an ‘unnecessary’ CS hurt in my case. Pooping and weeing had me going like “is it time to go again?”

14. Esther

February 9, 2017 at 5:09 pm

Congrats on your safe birth. I had my baby on Christmas through CS here in South Africa.it started at about 2:48pm and I was wheeled out at exactly 3:15pm. Although I didn’t plan to have my baby through ceasar but I bless God that I have a cute adorable angel. My advise to you is this, allow people ask whatever questions but be bold and proud to tell them it was through CS. My advise, don’t lift any thing heavier than your baby and don’t stress yourself. You will heal with time. Try and buy the tummy belt,it will help your tummy get back to shape.my baby is just six weeks but my stomach has really gone back to its initial shape.
    My sister, enjoy motherhood and forget what people say ooo

15. Joy

February 9, 2017 at 5:16 pm

Just had my baby a week ago via CS. It is just as you describe it, am so grateful to God for my bundle of joy. Still recovery but it was worth it. Mother and son doing very fine.

• Serene

February 9, 2017 at 11:40 pm

Congratulations!

16. Rose

February 9, 2017 at 5:21 pm

I had to have an emergency cs after 17 hours in labour, 3 years on I still get mild abdominal pains occasionally. I’m just grateful to God that I am still around, be it a natural or cs giving birth really is a matter of life and death so thank God for His Mercies.
    A male family friend called me after giving birth and unashamedly asked me if it was a natural labour as he knows ‘you young ladies these days are too lazy’!!!! I kid you not that was his exact words! Some men are so ignorant. If not for the fact that he was an ‘uncle’ I would have put the phone down on him!

17. Hello

February 9, 2017 at 5:24 pm

Hello, you may want to consider taking epidural to help with the pain if you eventually go ahead with the vaginal delivery.

18. Ariel

February 9, 2017 at 5:33 pm

Okay I just want to clarify as a medical practitioner that CS is surgery. Surgeries have high risk and complications and should not be first option or a “choice.” I don’t care for Hebrew woman whatever as I don’t know where people even get that from. I know there’s a trend in elective CS but like I said CS should be the last option and only when there’s significant risk to the mother, child or both via vaginal delivery. Medically speaking there is no reason why one should have CS when they can do so perfectly via the birth canal and there is NO reason why one should have vaginal delivery when there is even the slightest risk of complications with that route. Nobody gets any trophy for either. Health of mother and child should be the focus of all involved.

• ceetoo

February 9, 2017 at 6:36 pm

How about age? Should that be a factor for someone to consider elective CS over Natural birth?

• Chioma

February 9, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Good clarity.

• Abk

February 10, 2017 at 4:08 am

What if you’re having twins or multiple babies? CS is mostly prescribed for such, right?

• Nubyprincess

February 10, 2017 at 10:40 am

For me I was expecting CS since it was my second child and they were twins, they tell you that it depends on babies condition and heartbeat, when I got to the hospital after my water broke, I was given epidural as the pain was bad, I pushed out the first baby and it was okay, the second twin refused to come out until 2 hours later, at this stage I was giving both hubby and doctors side eye expecting them to cut me as i was in labour again only for them to push the scan machine away saying baby was not distress, alas two hours later baby 2 came. Your thoughts should be I must come out alive and babies too, CS, vaginal o or push out through your nose, we are all mothers….. sorry to write an epistle just wanted to allay your fears, you will be fine i tell you. Other than the fact that my swollen feet did not go down after delivery and coping with 3 children under 3 it was a nice experience. I am all done now.

19. Veev

February 9, 2017 at 5:45 pm

Nice piece. Had me smiling, covering my face and dat *shocked * look. God help me during my time

20. Rose

February 9, 2017 at 5:49 pm

**sorry meant to write natural birth**

21. UZOAMAKA

February 9, 2017 at 6:31 pm

Ariel speaks!!!

22. Kylah

February 9, 2017 at 6:37 pm

When you don’t have things to worry about in your life you will be worring about normal birth vs cs. People grab brain and use it for the important things in life. Remember you control your own feeing when you feel insecure about a kind of birthing process. Maybe it’s when you die that you will be like why did I even worry about such noneities

23. Chioma

February 9, 2017 at 7:15 pm

Most people never elected to have CS cos they are almost always an emergency in the first instance. Any woman that opens her mouth to talk trash to another about her mode of delivery is plain ignorant…either ignore her or if you have a sharp tongue, cut her to size.

24. Awiase

February 9, 2017 at 7:22 pm

My 3rd was a csection and yes it was painful.It was an emergency one too.Dont mind anyone ok.Sections are also mostly recommended when you run into complications with labor progression,baby having decelerations etc.Even if it’s an elective one so what.After this experience I got to know the hell you go through with this.Its very painful afterwards especially when you have a big overhang after delivery like me and you have to ambulate etc.Kudos to all who have gone through this more than once.its not easy.And for me I don’t believe cs causes your belly to be bigger than a vaginal delivery maybe it may cause your belly to hang down a bit because the incision may weaken the skin down there but with the size it would be the same.At least in my experience.Constant exercising at your own pace and breastfeeding would help you a lot lose the weight dear.My next door neighbor and I were expecting at the same time ,my 3rd and her 1st.However,she never looked pregnant till baby came out.I was like a whale and almost everyone here including her family were always ridiculing me (I was never offended though).Most if them saying it’s definitely twins.We all delivered thru cs.I lost all weight after delivery and now she rather friend more and looks pregnant now.I was once returning from the gym and one her friends(the ridiculers),just asked me why I have lost so much weight like that.Oh gosh!!!.So dear you would get there.With cs since recovery is slowler than normal delivery it took me a whole year to get my old body hack

25. Miss j

February 9, 2017 at 9:04 pm

Had my daughter through elective CS and was chatting with a friend who was pregnant and was asking questions when I told her I had CS she told me how could I? That our mothers did it for us so we owe it to them to do the same thing. I looked at my phone like it was an alien. Biko pls tell me if having kids vaginally will make the child a billionaire or the president of America. It’s really sad the kind of stigma we women face. My neighbors insulted and abuser their brothers wife all because she had CS stating that she is not fit to be called a woman and she is a shame to her generation.

26. ij

February 9, 2017 at 9:12 pm

I thank God for d person dt initiated dis method called c . session cos if not 4 cs I won’t be alive to comment on dis post. I almost died in d name of pushing thank God that my hubby quickly sign dos papers dt night 4 d cs to commence. Pls cs all d way. Yet I still hv a very flat tummy cos I drink lemon water after dt for some months

27. Doreen

February 9, 2017 at 9:37 pm

I couldn’t care less if the doctor used an axe to cut me open. All I wanted was to meet my baby after eight years of trying. The CS was easy for me because I had done a myectomy and another surgery from ectopic pregnancy. Women should stop paying attention to these people. I have family members who say it to my face that my baby’s head is big because she didn’t come via the natural route and truthfully I don’t care. All I see is my beautiful princess.
    The Hebrew women delivery was actually a lie told by the Egyptian midwives because they could not kill newborn sons as they feared God.

28. NaijaPikin

February 9, 2017 at 9:52 pm

So I was in the room for my 1st csection….woohoooo to my friend delivering my baby girl safe and sound.

Please the question should be vaginal or csection (if you must ask), not normal vs. csection.

Most hospitals also sew you up so nicely that the stitches kind of “disappear”into the skin, so you don’t need to take them out when the wound is healed (doctors help me explain biko). ———These are dissolvable stitches. so they dissolve into your skin as you heal.

This experience is different for folks. My friend was walking fine by the next day, my other family friend could not move without assistance for 3 days. Healing process is different.

Age should not be a factor in determining mode of delivery. your health and the baby’s health should be the key determinants.

Shout out to all mothers. Y’all are the real mvps. and remember the success of a child is not determined by mode of delivery. After all who sabi whether Dangote, Bill Gates or Obama came into the world through vaginal or csection delivery

29. Mrs chidukane

February 9, 2017 at 10:31 pm

Just had my gorgeous daughter via C-section. I used to think it was easy but it’s not oh. Having had two previous vaginal births I can say C-section recovery is way more difficult. The stress is worth it though.

30. Yummymummyof2

February 9, 2017 at 10:31 pm

Hahaha They fear what they do not know. I recently saw a comment on another’s page asking the new mum if she had her baby “normal or via CS” ?? Like What’s the definition of normal? gosh. I’ve had 2 CS because I wanted to, was very beautiful and well planned, breastfed both till over 10months, have a strong connection with my babies, still very flat tummy,btw if I was to have a Third child will choose CS over any laborious act, It’s my body my life plsss.

31. Yummymummyof2

February 9, 2017 at 10:41 pm

Btw both CS were done overseas, don’t know if that’s what made it easier… it was just too beautiful and relaxing. In the end it’s all about you mammas. Whatever works for each one. Some think CS means you won’t get your body back, will be unable to breastfeed, won’t connect with your baby, too many mis conceptions. All proved false for me.

32. Idara

February 9, 2017 at 10:46 pm

“It’s a little tube that goes up your urethra. Just imagine a worm wriggling up your “huuhaa””.

No, the urethra is not the “huuhaa” (i.e. vagina). Women don’t pass urine from the same place that babies come out from.

33. Amaka

February 9, 2017 at 10:54 pm

Babe….. I fee everything you’ve said! I’ve been there 3 times…. No be beans!!!!

34. Lola

February 9, 2017 at 11:15 pm

Pls can some one tell me abt sex after Vaginal birth and C-section….. does it affect tightness or it’s the same?

35. Sika

February 9, 2017 at 11:52 pm

I find It so funny when Nigerian women argue over CS versus vaginal birth. Meanwhile, I’m over here considering a surrogate. I want kids but bruh! I don’t want the pain or the process and I ain’t ashamed to shout it out loud. because I hate pain. Maybe I may change my mind. Only God knows. But for now .. The whole Process is scary.

36. Bibii

February 10, 2017 at 1:09 am

Ps …writer it’s not always painful please …I used epidural during the procedure for my 2kids ..I felt zero pain ..so u have that option too

• Onyinyechi Njoku

February 10, 2017 at 10:46 am

Hmm, epidurals are not readily available in most Nigerian hospitals. I wasn`t even presented with the option. I sure wish that can be looked into.

37. Ola

February 10, 2017 at 4:05 am

CS was the most painful experience I ever had. I was given epidural but it doesn’t work…. I was ordering epidural as if I was ordering ice cream. I can’t pooh, pee, yawn, laugh or anything without serious pain… i was in the hospital for 3 days before doctors decided to cut me. I can’t even stay awake so they put me to sleep. I have my baby in Canada because I am Canadian. To make the my case worse, my husband was not with me and no one to help after I was discharged….because of my experience I am done with one child.

38. Idomagirl

February 10, 2017 at 10:14 am

This Hebrew woman nonsense is so amusing.
    First you’re not Hebrew, second in modern day Israel Hebrew women are opting for CS and not looking down on those who get it like we do here.
    Religious brainwashing everytime.

Anyway, If I have any of my kids via Caesarian no one should try me cos I dey hold mouth.
    The nerve of you to tell a mother she’s lazy or she took the easy way out.
    What rubbish.

• Idomagirl

February 10, 2017 at 10:32 am

*no dey

39. Hawt Talk With Tosan

February 10, 2017 at 5:37 pm

I cannot believe that in 2017 we are still having this conversation. CS and Vaginal deliveries are both DELIVERIES! Do you know how many babies and mothers have died because of this myopic notion that for some reason having a CS means you are not woman enough? What the heck is wrong with people. Yes the recovery time of a vaginal delivery is faster but having one or the other is in most cases out of the mother’s control.

The sad thing is that more often than not, it is women who make these snide remarks about CS deliveries. Yet we preach feminism and march upandan. Mschew. Bottom line, all born na born.

I had 3 vaginal deliveries with major tears and I know how difficult that was. I can only imagine the pain my fellow mothers who had CSs went through. Muah to you all.

40. mimzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

February 10, 2017 at 9:15 pm

This write up brought back memories of my two C-sec experiences. I thing i fared better with my 1st probably because i was already in labor and has the need for an emergency C-sec. By the way, the ‘wiggly thing’ they put into ur urethra which you described is called a catheter not a canola. A canula is used to set the IV line.

41. mimzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

February 10, 2017 at 9:17 pm

*think I fared better with my 1st probably cos i was already in labor and had the need for an emergency C-sec.