Features

XPloreNollywood: Top Romantic Nigerian Movies for all Times!

Efeturi Doghudje

We love romance here at BN. I’m sure you can tell from all our various proposals, baecation and wedding posts that make some of us swoon and wish we were in those persons’ shoes! I am hopeless like that as well, as my favorite romantic movie of all times is ‘Notebook’ and ‘The Vow. Fortunately, both have Rachel McAdams in the mix.

Now, let’s bring it home, to our Nigerian movies. I know most of you would think, we don’t have romantic movies, but hey, we do! While Valentine might be way over, and the month of February slowly coming to an end, I felt in the spirit of the season, I could share my top 5 Nigerian romantic flicks that are worth watching any time you feel like a romantic date night with your loved ones.

Keeping Faith (2006)
Produced by Ego Boyo and directed by Steve Gukas (didn’t even know that), ‘Keeping Faith’ was a movie that made me gasp and swoon.  Who can forget the on-scene romance by the couple Nadine and Princewill played by Genevieve Nnaji and Richard Mofe-Damijo and all the activities she got up to  – literally keep her man, which made up the comedic aspect of the movie. The film’s perspective on love is quite clear and shows us that while you might try juju, food or any other thing to keep a man, it’s actually the simplest things that make him stay.

‘Keeping Faith’, left me all mushy inside, wishing Genevieve and RMD become a real-life couple. If only wishes where horses!

Wedding Party (2016)
One of the best produced movies of 2016, the ELFIKE collaboration broke the box office and is still showing in the cinemas as I type. The plot revolves around a Yoruba bride and an Igbo groom and all the drama that unfolds on their wedding day, which is basically 24 hours.

While it wasn’t totally full of swooning and awwwwwww, I can’t get over Dozie’s (played by Banky W) fight to keep his lady, which was truly sweet; or Dunni’s (played by Adesua Etomi) instant change to just end a relationship she had worked hard to build.

Either ways, ‘The Wedding Party’ is a good watch for the month and it has also produced another couple we wish will get together as well.

Flower Girl (2013)
This 2013 romantic comedy based on the story of Kemi (Damilola Adegbite) who is dying to get married to Umar (Chris Attoh); a young man who is desperate to get ahead in his career. While some people think, it was an over kill, as all Kemi had on her mind was marriage, the bubbling relationship between her and movie superstar Tunde (Blossom Chukwujekwu) was just too cute. There was the sulking cute girl look, the macho bending to the will of his girl and much more that I just can’t get enough off and I will watch this movie anytime I have the chance.

When Love Happens (2014)
Awwwwwww… “When Love Happens” is my typical ‘RomCom’ and like the name and my perspective of the film, love can happen when you least expect it. “Moduroti aka Mo goes on a relationship expedition when she’s hired to plan her long-time friend’s wedding. Little did she know that what she was looking for was in her sokoto and not in Sokoto. I particular love when she discovered her feelings and tried to hide it and was shy! Awww…

‘When Love Happens’ is a good date night movie, in fact it’s a good chick flick as well that’s guaranteed to get your love buns going.

The Contract (2014)
Peter Popolampo played by Hlomla Dandala is the ultimate alpha male and a staunch bachelor in Shirley Frimpong-Manso’s ‘The Contract’. Peter sticks to his guns of non-committal casual relationships, freedom and complete control until he decides to have an offspring with Abena Boateng character, played by Yvonne Okoro. What can I say I am just a sucker for love and I particularly like it when the couple grow into it.

Beautifully executed and well written, ‘The Contract’ earned Yvonne or was it Shirley an AMVCA for their work, made me mushy inside and I came to believe that ‘true’ love (emphasis on true oh!) can change people!

Have I missed out any Nigerian romcom you can see multiple times? I am all ears…

Efeturi is an ardent lover of movies and currently the publisher of www.xplorenollywood.com a Nigerian film critic site that reviews everything Nollywood with the aim of strengthening the Nigerian Movie Industry. She hopes to use her platform to stir the industry in the right direction and has taken steps to ensure that her reviews are fun, entertaining and punchy without avoiding the main issues which is to have world-class productions in Nigeria.You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram on @Xplorenollywood and listen to her live on 92.3 Inspiration FM every Saturday at 9pm.

1. Asa

February 21, 2017 at 2:07 pm

Taboo! You know Taboo right? Acted in Igbo back when I was a little girl. It was romantic for me o! Most romantic naija movie I ever watched!

• Elle

February 21, 2017 at 4:54 pm

Actually my best Nigerian romantic movie is “romance is overrated

2. Ify

February 21, 2017 at 3:09 pm

When love happens was really romantic and the actors were good.

3. B

February 21, 2017 at 3:26 pm

Yes Keeping Faith is number one for me too! I watched the movie again about a month ago and it was still interesting to me. I agree with you on this one

4. stranger

February 21, 2017 at 3:58 pm

My best is still Letters to a stranger staing Genevieve and Yemi Black. Can’t remember the year now.

February 22, 2017 at 12:28 am

Think it was released in 2007…. Loved that movie so much but I’ll never forgive Genevieve for choosing Fred ?

Violated is my favourite Nigerian movie EVER. Romance, comedy, drama… Just perfect.
      Keeping Faith is a close second.
      Wedding Party was lovely but that is NOT a romantic film.

• Tee

February 22, 2017 at 9:19 pm

Yea, there was another too that had Dakore and RMD
      Something about a wrong dialled number

• Daniel matthew

February 23, 2017 at 8:34 am

Hahaha….dat was” caught in the middle” very intriguing, comic and overall romantic..

February 23, 2017 at 8:48 am

Caught in the middle!!!!!!!

5. Ruby

February 21, 2017 at 4:05 pm

Seems everyone has been paid to hype the wedding party. i dont see or count wedding party as a romantic movies. Comedy? Yes! The other movies listed are awesome love stories, please we didn’t get a feel of any love story in the wedding party. it was just bleh…

• Mondela

February 21, 2017 at 4:34 pm

Thanks a million…wedding party is highly overrated, so basic and unoriginal.

• Ss

February 21, 2017 at 5:37 pm

Very true! I don’t fine it romantic either

6. chiamaka

February 21, 2017 at 4:06 pm

when love happens on point.. i can watch that movie over and over again.

7. Lenovo

February 21, 2017 at 4:11 pm

Violated(1996 abi 1997, Ego Boyo, RMD). Not sure I agree with wedding party being on the list. Yes to the rest.

8. Dee

February 21, 2017 at 4:57 pm

North East. Starring OC Ukeje and Ini (the new one, not Ini Edo). That was very sweet!

9. cookie dough

February 21, 2017 at 6:15 pm

Rebecca by Shirley frimpong manso, is an amazing movie too ❤

• Anonymous

February 21, 2017 at 7:13 pm

Most romantic Nigerian movie , “Rebecca” isn’t a Nigerian movie.

10. WeddingPartyJoke

February 21, 2017 at 6:46 pm

Wedding party was/is not a romantic movie ejor!!! Banky W and Adesua had zero chemistry….biko let this movie be left in 2016!!!

Soo much hype..bella post my comment oh

11. john

February 21, 2017 at 7:06 pm

living in bondage ..I Know I know but the love bewtween andy and merit before he use her for ritual is genuine

12. Tt

February 21, 2017 at 8:30 pm

Mortal Inheritance (1996) = Omotola Ekehinde + Fred Amata still makes me awwwww
    Yes to Keeping Faith, and When Love Happens
    Love ‘World’s Apart’ that was Ini Edo and Kenneth Okonkwo

• beccah

February 22, 2017 at 2:52 pm

Yes to World’s apart…..Movie was dope…

Then there is this movie with Genevieve and Emeka Ike….can’t remember the name but the theme song was “Jidenumo a hapulamo, Ezemba nwoke oma onye ji eme onu, aju nje kuru mmiri….don’t mind my terrible igbo …..

Chai the good old days……

February 22, 2017 at 4:14 pm

Im Yoruba so I just realised I’ve been singing that song wrongly all these years lmaoo
      Are you talking about Beloved??? Another classic!
      My love for Nollywood movies is unexplainable lol

13. Daniel matthew

February 23, 2017 at 8:41 am

Keeping faith, beloved, love and wind of Glory all acted by Genevieve nnaji seems to be the most romantic movie, though never forgetting Windfall by emeka ike and Stephanie linus

14. Nolly person

February 23, 2017 at 3:32 pm

This is a very weakly researched list, a huge disrespect to the films of the early 2000s and late 1990s that starred Ramsey Noah, Desmond Elliot, Stella Damascus, etc. There are so many more romantic films not in this list. Wedding party was not romantic at all, it was not even funny to me.

15. Nollywood Reinvented

February 24, 2017 at 4:29 pm

Because I can already tell the haterade that is going to come my way for saying this, let me start with the disclaimer that as a true Nigerian who loves 9ja weddings… I loved watching the wedding party.

But to now come and list it on the top romantic Nigerian movies… that too… of ALL TIME!!! And in the top 5 too? That’s a bit extra. I’m sorry to say but you are reaching. I might be a bit willing to agree with the others being in the list maybe towards top 20… maybe we can revise the title as Top 5 Hyped Romantic Nollywood movies within this decade.

Otherwise I give you keeping faith, but come on, how about Letters to a stranger? Violated? Caught in the middle? Wind of Glory? Even the more recent Love Regardless. Where are my RMD and Stella movies? Where are my weak-lo (aka Tony Umez movies), where is that Genny and Ramsey… ok let me stop.

#NoShade