Features

Itunu Taiwo: Have You Been Classified?

I remember growing up with the thought that all humans were the same. As a child I had no aforethought of anyone. Humans were humans. Period.

I found nothing wrong in anyone, until I discovered people being classified as tall, short, beautiful, ugly, thin, round, shapeless, curvy etc. Some attributes were further classified. Beauty, for instance, became classed into categories thus: pretty, beautiful and cute; handsome became the standardised word with which to describe a man’s beauty.

I remember reading an article of a young white girl calling a black girl her twin; she’d just met the girl at the café while their parents spoke. I read through the beautiful article wondering about a time in my life when I knew nothing of racial distinction. Having lived among boys in the early times of my life, I grew up a tomboy and as a result struggled to understand why I couldn’t dress like my brothers. Why I couldn’t just throw on something comfortable, have a nice hair cut without being asked why I chose not to ‘weave’ my hair or be seen as someone that might need counseling in the hair department.

The world defines standards we live by which we often do not bother to question.These standards subconsciously shape our mindsets, our decisions, our views and perception of things and other people. As we grow older, invisible lines – which breed preference, hatred and malice – creep into our lives. The media further creates a seal over our budding wrong understanding of people. Soon, we live with our earthly lenses on through which we further categorize people, wondering if they measure up to us, and what the prospects of being classified with these set of people could become in a future we do not see or cannot predict.

Can we, for a minute, take off our earthly glasses and see humans differently, with no hidden bias about color, tribe, gender or social rank brewing in our hearts? And just see people as humans? We should move past our notions and see people as they are.

PEOPLE. Not tall, or short, or black, or white, or brown.

Perhaps, when we begin to see people just as people, when we look beyond the skin and realize we all have the same color of blood running through our veins, irrespective of tribe or social status, then we will be able to empathize more as our hearts soften to our kinds seeing we call ourselves mankind.

We do not live to hurt one another – either with our words or actions, but to ensure the person sitting or living beside us is as safe as we would love ourselves to be. This is called looking after one another.

Maybe, then, we may be moved to help others in need and love irrespective of the knowledge we have of another’s roots. Perhaps the veil that covers our hurts and fears will be peeled off layer after layer and we will come to embrace one another in our uniqueness and diversity. We will not shy away from others because we’ve classified them, but we will run to them because we see hearts willing to receive and give love.

I believe that the moment we come to embrace the beauty in diversity, that moment we’ll come to discover a life that defies the world’s standards, a life that thrives beyond classification.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime

Itunu Taiwo is a pharmacist by profession and a God lover by heart. Her love also extends to story writing, books, music, movies and well fused teabags. Catch up with her at myglowingscenes.com where she writes on love and life. You can also connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @glowingscenes

1. GraceOfGOD

March 11, 2017 at 7:25 pm

@Itunu Taiwo

Good evening MADAM. It SADDENS me to see that your GREAT article has no comment YET. Nowadays people seem to PREFER “TRASH” over FOOD for the THOUGHTS. THANK YOU for OPENING my eyes with your SUPERB article and stay BLESSED 🙂 🙂 🙂

• itunu

March 15, 2017 at 7:28 pm

Aww thank you! Your comment is also refreshing to read. Stay blessed. xo!

2. YoursFaithfully

March 11, 2017 at 8:05 pm

A very refreshing read. Just yesterday I reflected on this very line of thought and linked it to the cause of all the problems in the world. Yes I mean all the problems. Humans use groupings as a means of understanding their environment in relation to the next person which is not a bad mechanism of survival but it ultimately turns out in another form as a means that throw up negativity thus bullying, discrimination, control and other oppressive tendencies birth.

Two or more people in a space will always engender comparison and competition and this competition becomes fiercer if resources are few compared to the people wanting it as is the case with our earthly experience. So the struggle becomes physical and psychological and makes people to want to use classification to put others in a frame that can give them whatever form of existential advantage there is.

When I look at the world today and it attendant problems, all I see are tendencies of humans aimed towards self preservation at the expense of another. It could be subtle, a sub community level, on a grand scale or even animal farm(y) in nature which will become a sort of unwritten rule of engagement. Its all a function of the need for social and self survival/preservation. But like you pointed, most of the things we are hasty to classify are unnecessary and from a child of God view its not a manifestation of the sons of God that we are and world earnestly awaits.

• itunu

March 15, 2017 at 7:30 pm

Wow, I never saw it this way! But I agree with your line of thought. Thanks for sharing!

3. Big Tee

March 11, 2017 at 8:14 pm

kudos!!

4. Tosin

March 11, 2017 at 8:55 pm

Beautiful.

5. Laolu

March 11, 2017 at 9:57 pm

We really have to become like children to understand that God doesn’t classify us the way we do. It’s sad and very unfortunate

6. Damilola

March 12, 2017 at 2:23 am

Itunu, I just came here to famz you..lol. Whoop Whoop.

7. itunu

March 15, 2017 at 7:30 pm

Thank you!

8. Oyindamola

March 22, 2017 at 8:37 pm

I echo Dami’s words… Cheerleading team here! ?Lol.

But really though I wish we could all see these things this way. The essentiality of who we are is beautiful and beyond the physical. It is eternal. And like you said, people are people. Humans. Not things to be objectified, turned this way and that and placed in neat little boxes.

Well done!