Features

BN Confession Box: After I Paid £18,920, My Racist Landlord Locked Me Out of the Apartment…But, I got my revenge!

Nkem Ndem

Hi guys, BN Confession Box is a new feature on BellaNaija – curated by Nkem Ndem. The Confession Box is our virtual confessor’s box where BellaNaijarians can let loose and say their deepest and rawest fears.
These letters are from you, and we’ll ensure that your identity is protected. Everybody needs some form of outlet or the other.

***
From the day I was born till now, I have always stayed classy, come hail or high water. My parents are middle class, but, I work extra hard to stay high class. Two years ago, I met a white lady who has been a huge blessing to my life. She is not only my soulmate, she has since made my rise to the upper class very smooth and easy. We met at a conference. She was in Nigeria, as an expatriate, working on a project for an International NGO. Although 7 years older than I am, we fell in love and started an affair. She was married, but her husband and children did not move to Abuja with her. The job she came for was temporary.

As expected, when her project was concluded, she had to move back to the UK. Luckily, she loved me as much as I loved her, and so she could not cope with missing me. She was also afraid someone might blow the whistle on my sexual orientation and I would get jailed. She advised me to apply to jobs in the UK and relocate so that I’d be safe and have a better life. Also, so that we can we can be together again.

I started applying for jobs and luckily, in a very short time, with her as a referee, I got a very good one. Processing my visa was also a breeze. God was really behind it all. Make no mistakes, everything I did was with my money. I am very hard working and I’m not a sucker at all.

Anyway, on getting to London, which was a few months ago, she let me squat with them for about a little over a month. She would have let me stay longer, but because her husband was getting suspicious. She loaned me some money to rent an apartment. I knew I was not going to live anywhere that was not Kensington. Anyone who has ever lived in London knows it is the most expensive part of the city. A lot of royalties and dignitaries live there. Also, all the rich people lived there and I knew that is where someone as classy as I had to live.

After a little searching, I found a property online. With the help of my girlfriend’s husband, who was also an estate agent, I secured the property. It was a very nice place. It even had closet space and all. Also, it was very close to the Kensington palace.
We did all the reference checks and then I paid a whopping total of £18,920 – 6-months advance payment plus 6 weeks deposit. My girlfriend’s husband had hinted that I should consider somewhere else, that Kensington was too upmarket, but it did not occur to me that what he really meant was that it was a horribly racist area. I moved in on Thursday and even had a small house warming to celebrate.

To my alarm, on Friday when I got back from work, I found everywhere completely locked. I had no access to my own apartment and was stranded. Of course, I called my girlfriend and her husband. He came over, made some calls.

The gist of the whole thing was that the agency had signed the housing agreement, but the landlady who owned the property hadn’t signed. It wasn’t until the day I moved in that the landlady saw my name and because it was African, she refused to sign it, saying she did not want any black people in her home. I was in deep shock. I knew racism still existed in some parts of the UK but I did not think it would be an issue in a place as private as Kensington.

As advised, I involved a lawyer. The first time the white lawyer even met me, he looked at me as though I was nothing like he imagined.

I’m sure he was wondering how a 26-year-old Nigerian girl who just moved to London would have that kind of money to rent an apartment. We talked and he later sent me an e-mail stating that my hands were tied that I should accept the termination and only ask for damages if any (see the letter attached).

At the word “damages” I knew I had to cash in. After I moved in, I wrote a long list of things that had gone missing and demanded £10,000. I am usually not a liar, but I had to get my revenge.

I feel these White people in the UK deserve to be milked for their rotten attitude towards blacks, especially Nigerians. My girlfriend has been chastising me about it, saying I should have been honest, but who “honesty” don epp?
I have only made this confession because truth be told, deep inside I feel terrible for stooping this low and hiking the damages. But, how is this kind of racism from the landlady justified? Is it fair?

***
Do you have any confession you would like to make or shocking tale you’ld like to tell? Please send your story to features(at)bellanaija(dot)com.

Photo Credit: Matt Antonino | Dreamstime.com

Nkem Ndem is a dynamic freelance writer and editor who can be reached for copywriting, editing and proofreading. She is also a content creator (web, T.V, radio) who has had stints with Jumia and SpiceTV Africa e.t.c. Now she works at Glam Africa as Online editor and BellaNaija as Features writer. E-mail: [email protected]; IG: @kem_dem; Twitter: @ndemv

1. Finegehlsmallpimples

April 30, 2017 at 11:22 pm

“With the help of my girlfriends husband”
    See yawa ?

2. Finegehlsmallpimples

April 30, 2017 at 11:25 pm

LOl you came here for advice about real estate but the real tea is your gehfren and her husband. The way you casually just slipped it in and kept it pushing too ????

• High class babe

April 30, 2017 at 11:56 pm

@finegehlsmallpimples nobody came here for your advice. It is a confession, no one needs advice from anybody in here. No one is a saint.kmt.

• Finegehlsmallpimples

May 1, 2017 at 1:56 am

E ma pele o

3. yaslin

April 30, 2017 at 11:31 pm

By putting a copy of the email here, you have exposed your girlfriend and yourself. With the help of Google, the landlord and your friend’s husband will both find out what you two have been doing. Your decision to have a homosexual relationship is not my problem, I only feel bad for the poor guy that was helping his wife’s friend not knowing that you were her lover. You and the wife were wicked to this guy! From the tone of your letter, he treated you well and yet you were deceiving him.

• Somzie Uzor Declan

May 1, 2017 at 5:57 pm

Ode, she is female. No homosexuality involved. And to lickie lickie, u licked your way the uk with this BS cooked up fairy tale. No way in the world would you be employed all the way from nigeria with a green white green passport for a role which u neva stated, only to end up moving into kensington just to belong to the “classy” cartel. On another note, classy people don’t tell you they are classy, people tell it for them. No classy lady would lick a married lady off, live in her lovers’ apartment with her husband, then squat ur way up to W1. Its like moving from ajegunle, licking a woman in Ikoyi and ending up in the Hamptons whilst calling urself classy all the way. Nkem Ndem u don try with this one. But anyone who has lived in ldn will tell u how nigerians back home are perceived in the uk (no matter your reference), the rules and hurdles involved in expat employment, the taxes and sectors that employ people back home. And pls believe that no average sector will give u employment just for u to end up squatting unless u came from naija with a below-average skill.

Nkem u are becoming more creative and insightful lately though so i tilt my hat to u. Dis is way betta than dan all those harsh and unrealistic articles about men and women dat sparked wars on BN.

• Meah

May 1, 2017 at 11:14 pm

Come out of that hole…
      People employ Nigerians with green passports from anywhere around the world, UK inclusive.
      I am specifically talking about the oil and gas sector.

• DAME

May 2, 2017 at 11:35 am

lol…so issa lie all along. Nkem come and defend yourself

4. Lexyboy's babyyy!

April 30, 2017 at 11:36 pm

The whole time I thought it was a boy. Also, you moved in with your lover and her husband, the freakingg balls!! Lastly, if this story is true, which I doubt it is, you didn’t do a good job changing how outsiders see us.

5. Alara

April 30, 2017 at 11:48 pm

You have come again with these tales by moonlight yarns

6. Omoba

April 30, 2017 at 11:51 pm

The stress of locking you out and racial discrimination in my own opinion is worth more than £10,000.
    If nah oyinbo, she will ask for stress/depression/anxiety damages. She might even lodge in an hotel till she gets an apartment and the cost is on the agent.
    £10k is not enough for the emotional stress. Trust me

7. Vile

April 30, 2017 at 11:54 pm

O gal this your story nor get head. You nor be beta person

8. Michy

May 1, 2017 at 12:01 am

Most of these confessions don’t seem real at all.

• Fakenews

May 1, 2017 at 12:17 am

Gbam!! Fake news.

• J

May 1, 2017 at 9:39 am

is your name Donald? and do you wear a wig?

9. Ottawa Queen

May 1, 2017 at 12:50 am

SORRY I DONT BELIEVE THIS GIST! IT DOESNT ADD UP. TRY AGAIN!!!

10. smh

May 1, 2017 at 2:07 am

BN … gradually promoting the homosexuality agenda. Same reason I left Linda Ikejis blog.
    You people should fear God. God is not mocked.

• Me

May 1, 2017 at 3:40 am

Abeg help me tell them oh. BN we don’t like and support homosexuality, let this blog be as clean as It was intended to be.

If this story is true, it’s even more proof that homosexuality is from the pit of hell.

• J

May 1, 2017 at 9:40 am

and how do you know the intention(s) of this blog, are you Uche Pedro or a BN stakeholder? pray tell

• Beatrice

May 1, 2017 at 11:02 am

Same reason I stopped reading her blog.

11. Spunky

May 1, 2017 at 7:31 am

Emm, but this is a confession post na. You don’t have to like it neither is it intended to be clean. Try not to play Judge Jenny on this one.

12. Nikki

May 1, 2017 at 7:55 am

Is this a joke??

Bella Naija and their need to force homosexuality down our throats.

Remember your target market!

13. o

May 1, 2017 at 9:13 am

Nollywood is looking for you. Don’t waste this your script writing talent oooo. Lol

14. Fifi

May 1, 2017 at 9:16 am

I would ask for more than 10k, no one can put a price on physical and emotional stress,now they rendered her homeless, so they must pay

15. Fifi

May 1, 2017 at 9:19 am

Anyway i dont know why she must stay in Kesington, she should broaden her search, from Maida Vale to Holland Park there are nicer flats or she can check North West London

16. Get your eye test done today

May 1, 2017 at 9:59 am

There is nothing classy about a person, that cheats with a married person and even goes to the extent of living in their marital home!!! Used her husband. Lies about the content of the property! Moreover, your story is full of lies !!!

• Glow

May 1, 2017 at 10:27 am

Don’t you get it? Many Nigerians see material wealth as “classy” …..

• When one lies to themselves

May 1, 2017 at 10:38 am

There is a way that seems right unto man but ……

17. Susie

May 1, 2017 at 10:31 am

LMAO. It’s like Naija people are so mad anytime someone tells a gay story that doesn’t end in death or jail 😀 The mere fact that this lesbian is living freely dey vex some people o! She has told her story which you enjoyed enough to comment on. What be your wahala? BN hasn’t told you they approve of her or follow her life so why all the whining about them ‘promoting’ something? #Triggered

18. Tee

May 1, 2017 at 11:13 am

Huumm, this basically an admission of fraud on the court. they will basically reopen the case and summon you , its bordering on perverting the course of justice. just pray that none of the affected party see this admissions. you could end up in jail! Na UK oo. not naija!

19. JD

May 1, 2017 at 11:17 am

I have exeprienced this with at least two landlords in the Uk. They returned my deposits just before i moved into the apartments and refused to rent to me becos i have an african name. Its pretty common in the london area. One landlord could not believe my annual pay when he saw it and expressed shock that a young african man would earn such in london. This happened in my presence. He didn’t know i was the prospective tenant.

20. Ify

May 1, 2017 at 12:03 pm

Useless story

Which landlord or agency would request for 6 months’ rent in advance IN LONDON? Just say it’s the gay agenda you were trying to push down our throat..

21. Judgejudyjudy

May 1, 2017 at 1:36 pm

My family and I have been faced with an abrupt termination of tenancy by the landlady for racist reasons. The property managers had said that it was because we were about to have a second child and, scouring through the tenancy agreement, I could not find any mention of the fact that the occupants could not have kids etc, it said the occupants reserved the right to use premise as they pleased as long as it was not for commercial purposes. Brought this to their attention and they said, “you know what? The landlady wants her property. That’s it. We can meet you in court if you want”. The nerve. I was so hurt but we weren’t minded to go to court at the time as we were in the middle of processing our papers to get our ILR – and the estate managers knew this. In the back and forth, they mistakenly let out that the landlady had not wanted to let the property to us and when I queries why, my husband and I had good jobs, they couldn’t say anything meaningful. In retrospect, I reckon they feel Africans use their property in ways their fellow Caucasians would not, hence the reluctance to let to Africans by some. Eg, maybe they come round during inspection and meet you cooking soup with stock fish smelling everywhere, and think “oh my God”, I dunno. Whatever. I don’t kid myself sha, racism exists but I reckon it’s nowhere near what people in the US are said to experience, plus, sadly, I know where I am coming from as per Naija so….. you just have to carry yourself well and try not to feed or make true their bias and prejudice.

22. Royalty

May 1, 2017 at 2:17 pm

You got a job in the U.K before leaving Nigeria and the B.E gave you a work visa? In which day and age? In Theresa May’s ??? All this lie lie story times sha

• Royalty

May 1, 2017 at 2:17 pm

These*

• Meah

May 1, 2017 at 11:20 pm

Where do you live?
      i was issued a work visa from the U.K. As a Nigerian living in Nigerian
      It’s rare but when they need you,they need you

• Carat Mag

May 2, 2017 at 7:46 am

She wouldn’t be let in trying to process the visa after entry, so that part of her story is at least accurate.

The UK, America, France, China, Rest of the World is extremely racist and they hate blacks, Africans moreso than West Indians even. The problem with Nigerians born and bred in Nigeria is they believe everything they see in movies and have never grown up with any discrimination apart from wealth discrimination. Colour discrimination is still somewhat incomprehensible to the average Nigerian, so they rush to queue at Embassies to get visas and show off when they get on planes to travel and buy designer wear to show they have arrived. They even secretly hate returnees and Nigerians that have grown up abroad, wondering what we have come back for when they are trying to get out. When Nigerians start to understand that people truly don’t like them, and that spending your money abroad is not a privilege and that we should embrace returnees and what they have to contribute to the growth and development of our nation, then and only then will we start to progress.