Features

BN Confession Box: My Friend Got Rich & Treated Me Like Dirt… So I Paid Him Back

Hi guys, BN Confession Box is a new feature on BellaNaija – curated by Nkem Ndem. The Confession Box is our virtual confessor’s box where BellaNaijarians can let loose and say their deepest and rawest fears.
These letters are from you, and we’ll ensure that your identity is protected. Everybody needs some form of outlet or the other.

***
I have this childhood friend with whom I have been very close to for many years. His parents died when we were teenagers and I have had his back for as long as I can remember. He squatted with me off-camp in FUTO from our year 1 to final year, so I fed him so many times. When we graduated, my uncle in Abuja worked our service and we were both posted to Abuja. It was during this service that we met Ifeoma*. Ifeoma preferred me because I am tall with a good manly body. I used to gym. Also, I am a very funny guy. I make women happy. My childhood friend, on the other hand, was very shy but can die for love.

When I noticed he liked Ifeoma, I spoke to him. I told him that Ifeoma and I have already agreed, but he insisted and said I should let her choose. Because I felt sorry for him and did not want out friendship to end, I gave up on Ifeoma. I told her I did not love her, that she should go for my friend. By the time we completed service, Ifeoma was pregnant and they had to sharply get married. Unfortunately, as fresh graduates, job was hard to find.

As luck will have it, my uncle told me he can connect me to become a customs officer. I was excited. But when I shared my good news with this my childhood brother, he started crying, telling me he wished it was him that was given the job because he has a family to take care of now and things were hard for him. Being the kind person I am, I spoke to my uncle and told him to give my friend the opportunity, that the next one will come and I will take it. Little did I know it was the worst mistake ever. I did not get a job for almost a year after that. I had to make plans and travel to Spain to hustle.

After eight years, I was tired of hustling in Spain so I came back to start something in Naija. It when I moved back to Naija that I traced this guy and found out that had hammered big time. He had bought a house and even had two cars. At first, I was happy for him, because he is my brother. If he hammers, it means I have hammered…but when I went to visit him, you should see how this guy treated me. After the visit, he started to form big man busy for me. He refused to see me again. When I call him, he will be posting me, telling me rubbish. I sent him a message telling him please help me out with a little loan. All I asked for was a loan of just half a million Naira.
It was something he could afford, but he sent Ifeoma to meet me with fifty thousand Naira. He said it was all he could afford. It was very painful. This is someone I gave the job that is providing his wealth!

I wanted to speak to my uncle that connected us to the job again, but we were having family issues. So, I took the decision on my own to teach this childhood friend a lesson. I bribed his gatemen to set fire on his two cars at midnight, that way we are sure the fire will not be stopped. He was not very nice to this gateman so it was not hard to convince the gateman. The deed will go down tonight, and the gateman will escape immediately after and go back to his village.

I am happy about it, but I am also not happy. I am not a wicked person, but someone needs to humble him. You cannot bite the hand that fed you. It is not done.

***
Do you have any confession you would like to make or shocking tale you’ld like to tell? Please send your story to features(at)bellanaija(dot)com.

Photo Credit: Kiosea39 | Dreamstime.com

Nkem Ndem is an energetic and highly accomplished Media Consultant who loves to help small businesses, especially women-led, grow their online presence using the right digital strategy or transition from traditional organizational boundaries. With years of experience in Copywriting and Editing, Content Branding and Strategy, Social media, and Digital Marketing, she is clearly obsessed with Digital Communications. She is the Head of Content and Lead Consultant at Black Ink Media - an Ideation and Content Agency that excels in providing fresh, creative digital services to content-centric businesses. Find out more about her at www.blackinkm.com or send her an e-mail at [email protected] Also follow her on IG: @nkemndemv, Twitter: @ndemv.

1. Spunky

June 4, 2017 at 10:02 pm

What the f**k is this? PLEASE,if you got no stories to post, hold up. Take this confession and shove it down…

• Lalaland

June 4, 2017 at 10:10 pm

Are you the friend? Leave someone to confess in peace abeg.

Meanwhile dear poster maybe you should consider a different method of revenge. If you do this one, I am seeing jail term in your future o.

• Osa

June 5, 2017 at 11:43 am

The story sounds to “good” to be true. You claim not to have had any money (you tried to get a 500k loan from your friend) but you connived with and bribed the gateman.
      How much could you have given him to make him set the two cars ablaze? And forfeit a stable future income?

It also sounds weird that you sacrificed a potential future partner and career just to make your friend happy and comfy. It dont add up.

• Cynical

June 5, 2017 at 1:48 pm

Nkem, pls stop already.This is becoming painful.

• Nelo

June 5, 2017 at 1:49 pm

i don’t get why you guys repeatedly call these confessions fake but still read them. who forced you? Do you know the meaning of ‘curated’? Nkem is not the writer, so stop letting your hate for her cloud any little sense you ought to have.

This confession is very believable. To the writer, its better you send your so called friend an email or text, letting him know how you feel about everything. you can also reach out to his wife. humans and loyalty have no guarantee. As for the gateman, you have no way of knowing he won’t blow your cover. so tread carefully there. I would not bother with revenge, because karma usually does the work in these circumstances.

2. UNCLE GWE GWE GWE

June 4, 2017 at 10:04 pm

Well served ? ? ? he deserves it

• cara

June 5, 2017 at 1:23 am

Oh my goodness! Dear Nkem, I’ll advise you, please take a long pause on the “confessions” segment, the stories never add up. They always seem so glaringly made up, kinda like the stuff we wrote in high school when we thought we were literary geniuses. It’s a good idea but until a real story gets sent by an actual reader, let’s pause with this for a while. I actually mean well, I hate it when some commenters borderline bully you for your articles but this confession section just ain’t cutting it.

• A Real Nigerian

June 5, 2017 at 1:40 am

“They always seem so glaringly made up, kinda like the stuff we wrote in high school when we thought we were literary geniuses”

????????

• B

June 5, 2017 at 12:50 pm

Ok just reading this and i will say that it is fiction because the person has not even burnt down the cars and is letting us know he is planning to do so wirh the security man. Why don’t you just create a special website for these stories?

3. TeeS

June 4, 2017 at 10:06 pm

Hey man!
    I know human beings are F#%$ed up . We all are really. But that’s why when we do things for people , it’s not to expect anything in return but just out of the goodness of our heart. So that when they aren’t there for us , it hurts but you weren’t expecting from them.
    Moving forward. Call the gateman . Don’t do it . Let it go…..I understand you feel like you gave up your job and girlfriend for him. But no ….it’s fate, it’s life . Continue your hustle , talk to God, talk to people. You’ll get something eventually.
    You don’t pay evil for evil. I’m the midst of setting this fire what if he loses his wife or kids or his own life ? Will that actually make
    You sleep better at night ?
    Noooo!
    Don’t do it

• Osa

June 5, 2017 at 11:47 am

Dont you get it? This story is a freaking fib!

4. Kess

June 4, 2017 at 10:07 pm

This is sub par

5. Chinma Eke

June 4, 2017 at 10:11 pm

This story reads like one of those hints and hearts magazine stories.

• Ajala & Foodie

June 4, 2017 at 10:23 pm

I remember Hints and Hearts magazines!!!! Do they still make those??? Abi we dey disclose our age with this one? My mum did not allow them just like those M&Bs, but, we had this family friends, they were way older. I would go to their house and bing read on those things (smh)!!!

• Nakoms

June 4, 2017 at 10:37 pm

@Ajala and foodie. I like you!!

• Ajala & Foodie

June 4, 2017 at 10:39 pm

Nakoms, I like you too!!!!

• californiabawlar

June 4, 2017 at 10:48 pm

***cough**cough**betterlover**cough**

Make I dey waka dey go! #badpikin

• Darius

June 4, 2017 at 11:41 pm

@Californiabawlar, as you are coughing, pls, don’t forget to choke. You better waka dey go since you have nothing positive to say.

6. Authentic Sunshine

June 4, 2017 at 10:11 pm

You are such a fool. A self hatefing and spiteful fool at that. No wonder your hustle in Spain did not pay. A grown arse man blaming others for his worthless existence and believes burning his friend’s cars is pay back. Really??? Where do I even start my epistle from? Do you really expect us to believe your own version? Did you keep contact whilst you were away? So you passed on a good woman because???? You go to the gym and feel you can get another shebi? You didn’t expect the under dog to rise. Regular fools know custom jobs pay but since you’re on Alleluia level you couldn’t see beyond your nose. “I go go abroad” syndrome was worrying you. Finally without the house, the cars and all…your friend is a million times better man than you’ll ever be and will bounce back stronger. And you actually leave evidence on BN….you are really a degenerate fool!!!

• A Real Nigerian

June 5, 2017 at 1:41 am

Na wa o. see how you’re vexing for a fake story. ??

• Authentic Sunshine

June 5, 2017 at 5:07 pm

I know right. Norr be small vex ohh. Come start to feel one kain after. Hissss. Serves me right. Gullible me.

7. FifiLa

June 4, 2017 at 10:11 pm

I always treat this feature as an opportunity for struggling storytellers to showcase their skills.

Dear storyteller,

Do better next time.

Regards,
    Fifla

8. Blueberry

June 4, 2017 at 10:13 pm

Not a good idea! What are we now, the church?

9. Zeeebby

June 4, 2017 at 10:21 pm

I am pretty sure this is made up…..coz this here is evidence oh

10. emeka ugo

June 4, 2017 at 10:22 pm

wow wow…. I do not in a way doubt this because sincerely sometimes the heart of men are wicked. But sincerely burning two of his cars does not really make sense at all. What if he still has large money in savings to replace if not two of them but atleast one immediately. All you need to do right now is go to the blessed sacrement(if you are a catholic) or to your church and pray. Put the situation into God’s hand and leave the battle for him to fight for you bro but at the same time learn a skill, be good at it and position yourself well with the right people. you never can tell, your breakthrough can come through a client that you have done a nice work for. But for the burning of his cars, I am 100% against it.

11. Rainbow

June 4, 2017 at 10:23 pm

Poster are you for real? You sound stupid and kirikiri will be adding another inmate soon.

12. aj

June 4, 2017 at 10:31 pm

lies! fake story! I don’t believe you..you need more people.

13. Bibs

June 4, 2017 at 10:32 pm

What did I just read????????

14. Darius

June 4, 2017 at 10:37 pm

I empathize with you my guy. Some people can be ungrateful!

You made some destiny-changing mistakes you know. It’s good to be altruistic and all that, but you’ll save yourself a lot of trouble if you understand that your needs supercede every other thing.

Your friend is an ingrate that needs to be taught a lesson, but weigh your actions before you end up in jail.
    Ignore your friend and ask God to bless you. Who says you can’t make money and overtake your friend in the richness scale.

• californiabawlar

June 4, 2017 at 11:55 pm

Lmao! This is your idea of positivity? hehehe! Oh the blissful naivety of a simple dimly-lit boy.

• Lilo

June 5, 2017 at 2:47 am

Eleri buuu Darius a.k.a petty wap

15. Deleke

June 4, 2017 at 10:40 pm

Wow. Speechless

16. slice

June 4, 2017 at 10:54 pm

Giving up money for your friend is one thing but to give a woman a whole human being. Nahhh you wrong

17. Rubby

June 4, 2017 at 10:54 pm

Like what d hell??? Shitty made up story,total BS. Gave him your girlfriend, gave him your job, I hear.

18. Hedz

June 4, 2017 at 10:58 pm

Fake story!

19. funmilola

June 4, 2017 at 11:28 pm

I think I’m speechless….

20. o

June 4, 2017 at 11:29 pm

If you believe this, you will believe anything!

• Mawi

June 5, 2017 at 2:03 am

So apt. I know things like these happen everyday, but this story here is so glaringly fake. So someone plans to commit a crime then comes online (public )to confess his intentions? Hahaha. …. and people are buying this? Smh

21. Nnena

June 4, 2017 at 11:55 pm

First of all, you r full of urself…… You make women laugh, you have a better body, he stayed with u from 1st yr to final yr, you fed him, you have him a job bla bla bla. …………. Now he is expected to give u wat ,just 500k…… not knowing if he has it or not to give out. Mehn .. …….. u really should rethink ur life. This isn’t about ur friend,it’s about u. The way u see life in general………. Nobody owes u anything, wether u helped dem or not. Y not sit down, 4get about ur abs and fine body and plenty ‘nice things’ u know about urself, and really start ur life as a man? Stop d hating, get down to work on ur personality and financial status and by God’s grace, you may become richer dan ds guy.

22. Ogie

June 5, 2017 at 1:08 am

Bella Naija, why exactly are you promoting this? Are we meant to celebrate this?

23. Lilo

June 5, 2017 at 2:48 am

Fake confession as usual

24. Lol

June 5, 2017 at 4:10 am

Yea BN y’all over did it with this one. I need real not some naija movie plot. Post please ?

25. Lol

June 5, 2017 at 4:11 am

Whoever wrote this thing you are in the wrong profession go and do nolly wood producing.

26. nunulicious

June 5, 2017 at 4:12 am

set fireto his car ke? really? What year are you in? primary 1. biko, the best form of revenge is to be wealthy and content with what you have or have not.

27. Jhennique

June 5, 2017 at 10:11 am

Lol. Give him house. Give him food. Give him wife. Give him Job. Give him self esteem. Kuku give him your life junior Jesus

28. Lailatu

June 5, 2017 at 11:05 am

As fake as this story sounds, I remember what they say,put on your oxygen mask before helping others, you should not have given up your job.If the writer is real, I will advise you forget about your friend and move on with your life, start up somewhere like becoming an uber driver. Don’t become bitter.

29. Nkem

June 5, 2017 at 11:51 am

As much as you have made some huge mistakes by giving up your girlfriend and job for your friend, burning his cars may not give you the results you desire. The best revenge would be for you to grow as a person and become successful. There is a lot more to life than material things. Those cars and other material things can easily be replaced and that will not bring genuine and long lasting happiness to you. Grow and develop yourself, work hard on whateever legit thing you can and become successful (success is subjective btw). You may not end up richer or end up with a finer woman, but your growth, contentment and happiness will remain the best revenge you can get. Use what has happened as a motivation to do great things and just let him be.

30. Moyo

June 5, 2017 at 4:09 pm

If this story is real, whoever received this confession ought to let the police know that someone is planning to commit arson. Oga don’t you think it is quite easy to put 2 and 2 together. How many customs workers are there, and how hard is it to remember this story when one of them winds up with two cars roasted by midnight? And then the man need only be asked which of his friend’s helped him to get his job and work his service to Abuja. Just that our Naija police may not be so sharp, but I hope this theory discourages you from your plan and you face your own life, that is if you exist o.
    Lmao Nkem has us writing epistles for imaginary persons o, BN help! Stop this column !!!!????????

31. ann

June 5, 2017 at 8:29 pm

In as much I don’t wana believe this story cause, some friends are happy for downfall of others vice versa, they will wana make them self look the victim while dey are the guilty of such accusations. But burning ya friends car isn’t the solution, grow up pray to God for open doors.

32. Mira

June 5, 2017 at 8:43 pm

I like this story because it exposes the sense of entitlement mentality a lot of young people have. You think ifeoma doesn’t have sense abi, that she chose to marry him. She made a choice and he wasn’t the only other guy in the world. The job; uncle you think it’s everyone that joins customs that hits it big abi! You think muscle they are building there, you don’t hink he worked his ass off to become what he is today! He should not be busy abi! He should clear his schedule because Small god has come. He gave you 50k in this recession… You didn’t even consider if he might still be paying for the loan he used to purchase his house and cars. No oh! He would not pay his child’s school fees because small god needs money. The story might be someone’s imagination but this happens everyday. The uncle who feels he helped pick up from school hence we should determine how to share your Mobil salary, because when u are breaking your head at work they are there rubbing your back: abeg let me go and sleep jor! People nobody owes anybody anything and when u do good do it because you want to and not because you want something back in return.