BN TV

Lekki, Victoria Island, VGC flooded with Rainwater | Watch

BellaNaija.com

Lekki, Victoria Island, VGC flooded | WatchResidents of Lekki, Victoria Island and VGC woke up on Saturday morning to find their streets and for some, homes, flooded with rain water.

Social networks have been buzzing all day with photos and videos of different parts of the area flooded.

Cars swim past roads, people wade around their homes, as they try to get to various locations.

This isn’t the first time the Island has encountered flooding, with photos and videos always making the rounds on social media every rainy season.

It does look as though the issue seems to be growing worse.

See photos and videos below:

View this post on Instagram

Lekki expressway 😱😱#lekkiflood #flood

A post shared by BellaNaija (@bellanaijaonline) on

1. Sandra Liva

July 8, 2017 at 1:54 pm

nawa ooo, the lagos state govt has to intervene on this.

• Wendy

July 8, 2017 at 10:34 pm

Make una dey wait for thw government and no go sort am out una self…

2. The Real Oma

July 8, 2017 at 2:01 pm

Wo, just say the whole of the island. I live Ikoyi and can’t step out of my apartment.

3. Duck

July 8, 2017 at 2:14 pm

Wow, this is terrible! Hoe something us done fast.

Guys please recommend a natural cream I can use to brighten up my skin like 2 shades. I’ve always been fair but my skin started getting so dull and dark. I eat well and still nothing has changed. Help please. Thanks

• Randommer

July 9, 2017 at 1:26 am

do you use sunscreen? if not, you should

4. Delta geh

July 8, 2017 at 2:26 pm

River Lagos Island. Are our friends in the mainland going through the same? If you live in the mainland what are the road conditions?
    And people are paying serious rent on the island and buying land at high prices and there is inadequate infrastructure

• Oma

July 8, 2017 at 8:03 pm

No floods o…just muddy roads majorly

5. Munachimso

July 8, 2017 at 2:38 pm

This is terrible, God help them..

What I can’t understand is why anyone thinks this is funny..

• Lacey

July 8, 2017 at 6:07 pm

My [email protected], that Kayak guy just made a fool of Ambrose, as how will a state that has flood issues be reclaiming land from the Sea? Lagos is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean!!! If human beings are so senseless to keep encroaching on God created delineated borders!!! Then they should get ready for the after effects!!!
      The white man will learn from one severe incident and put everything in place that it never occurs, but trust the black man to only pray, tax people and do nothing!!!
      The federal government should be on alert and come up with a national plan on flood prone areas, but no, it’s all about petty issues and boko haram!!! Nigerians must hold the federal government responsible and ensure that the right people are in power in 2019.

6. Baby gurl

July 8, 2017 at 2:38 pm

There’s a friggin canoe on Ahmadu Bello Way!!! LMAOOO. I don’t miss Lagos LOL. Come all ye people to Abuja and have peace of mind. And dry land all year round haha. On a serious note, like every other thing that does not work in Nigeria, it all boils down to the authorities ignoring what should have been put in place to fix disasters like this or at the barest minimum, prevent it. Instead every gaddam politician in Nigeria is trying to be the next President of Nigeria or looking for the next potential godfather to attach to. Disgusting animals. All of them! Lagos state government has been celebrating Lagos at 50 when they have not finished fixing the drainage systems or waste zones. Mainland residents now are grinning ear to ear.

7. Henri

July 8, 2017 at 2:47 pm

I like the kayak guy, no time to waste abeg.

8. XYZ

July 8, 2017 at 2:47 pm

Really, I don’t know why they think it funny. We have our homes built on the Island because that’s where you have free lands to build. It is not everyone that lives on the island that is stuck up or looks down at the mainland.

Couples both work on the Island. Is it not logical for them to live on the Island if they can afford it?

It is very unfortunate this incident. I don’t see why anyone finds it funny.

9. dupsy

July 8, 2017 at 2:54 pm

This is really serious o! Lots of expensive property damage here! The level of water must so high for dat oyibo man to be sailing in his kayak

• Bolaji

July 8, 2017 at 3:56 pm

When you are inward looking and think your mansion is all you need, the universe will step in and remind you to look after the environment.

• LemmeRant

July 8, 2017 at 6:12 pm

@Bolaji

That right there is the problem we humans have. Thinking that because you have money nothing is gonna affect you. And you can leave in isolation from the rest of the world who are beneath you.

Even some Caucasians think this way. As if we are all not inhabitants of this planet earth.

• LemmeRant

July 8, 2017 at 6:13 pm

Yoruba’s be like:

Makan makan, o n bo wa kan e

10. Californiabawlar

July 8, 2017 at 3:26 pm

Some people will come and talk of embarrassment or disgrace to Nigeria but the kayak guy is just having fun! In fact it’s the FRSC that should be blamed for not getting him off the road when it’s dangerous… these oyinbo people nor dey hear word! At least he finally found something ‘extreme’ to get his adrenaline pumping in Lagos ??
    I’m not saying they shouldn’t proffer solutions but flooding is definitely not a strictly Lagos problem. If it rains around here for more over 2 hours, the flash flood alerts will come reeling in. I was even just laughing at them that every rain is thunderstorm around here!
    Anyways I HOPE there’s a government subsidied flood insurance in place for Island people… it’s just the right thing to do.

11. Ife Love

July 8, 2017 at 3:33 pm

I wish I could share pics with you. The water went from no inch to like 7 inches in less than 1 hour. My compound was flooded. The water entered my passage and was about getting into the rooms and kitchen when the rain stopped and the water started receding. I had to start moving stuff so fast that I got so tired. A guy could literally touch the water from his car window, I had to ask him to find a place to park as it could damage his car- his fan belt is already bad cos of this same rain that fell this morning. In my uncle’s house, his neighbors downstairs were not so lucky. Their apartments were flooded. All the 8 gens in his house might be bad now cos they were submerged in water. They said they’ll check as soon as the water subsides. This is in Lekki phase 1 o…. i crave the mainland now cos it’s never been this bad there. I can’t even risk driving.

12. Ife Love

July 8, 2017 at 3:51 pm

13. aduke

July 8, 2017 at 4:00 pm

The lagoon is calming its land… People should stop sand filling. Because the more they move the water backwards, the more it fights back.

• LemmeRant

July 8, 2017 at 6:07 pm

Nope. They aren’t just doing it properly.

Sand filling involves a lot more than just pouring sand into water.

14. Tosin

July 8, 2017 at 4:01 pm

o Lord. so sorry.

15. nwa nna

July 8, 2017 at 4:07 pm

River lekki and river V.I!! Dude going white water rafting in his kayak ???

16. jide

July 8, 2017 at 5:28 pm

What? Isn’t that the gbogbo bigs boys and girls hood?

• jay

July 8, 2017 at 11:45 pm

Shut up! You and people like you sound daft. People are suffering and all you lot can think of is how to make fun of them for living where their circumstances have dictated they live.

Have you stopped to think about the poorer areas of the island? They’re so badly hit that my friend’s driver says they actually have recorded a few deaths.

Just shut up!

17. Bobosteke

July 8, 2017 at 5:35 pm

It was truly something…

18. Rainbow

July 8, 2017 at 5:47 pm

Oh no!!! What happened to their drainage?

19. Amaka

July 8, 2017 at 6:26 pm

Mainland is quite OK. Just wet and muddy. No floods…..

20. nene

July 8, 2017 at 6:53 pm

anyone buying properties on the Island must know this would happen. if it was in a civilised country, it would be contained to an extent. how many times do we hear of high brow areas abroad flooding? white people moved to the island back in the days, and suddenly it became the “it” place. the worst land/area in lagos is inhabited by the richest because “oyinbo” pack themselves there, which means it must be high class. most of these white people are only here temporarily. sea levels are rising and it will get worse. however, the government has to do their best to provide good areas/land for people to live.

21. tunmi

July 8, 2017 at 8:29 pm

Drainage?

Waste management?

Will we learn from this?
    Tune in next time when it happens again, for the umpteenth time

22. Person

July 8, 2017 at 9:04 pm

Hope insurance covers some of the damaged properties. It’s really sad.

• I love Shea butter.

July 9, 2017 at 11:49 pm

Insurance? I don’t think it functions in Nigeria like that! I Pray Almighty restore their damaged properties.

23. funmilola

July 8, 2017 at 10:16 pm

Na wa ooo!
    This is not funny at all…..something needs to be done asap

24. Wendy

July 8, 2017 at 10:31 pm

They need to do better with the sand filling process.
    The community should stop waiting for the government. They should all join forces and contribute to build a better drainage system.
    They should drop all this na me..only me..individuality mentality..
    Good luck to them..

25. Papacy

July 8, 2017 at 11:43 pm

Imagine the couple that fixed their wedding today…

26. Manny

July 9, 2017 at 12:52 am

I also don’t know why anyone would find this funny.

27. Bluthunder Firefox

July 9, 2017 at 5:26 am

.. Still can’t believe this!.. Left Badagry @ 8a.m for a meeting @ Lekki 1..Got to CMS @ 11a.m… Cld not get into V.I Then went thru Obalende / Ikoyi Club.. Then I saw the real deal.. Under bridge Falomo was seriously flooded.. No go area.. Many cars were stuck!.. Was able to get on Falomo bridge into V.I.. The meeting was called off.. Headed back to CMS / Costain.. Got back to Badagry @ 6p.m.. Thank GOD I was driving a Pathfinder Jeep.. What a day!..

28. Chic

July 9, 2017 at 8:10 am

It’s greed that’s causing this problem. The Lagos State government only knows money. The Eko Atlantic project where a SQM of land sells for N5million is one of the major causes if this flood. The adverse effect of the dredging and sand filling work done there has pushed the water to other areas. The Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) report should be made public let’s know the signatories to it.

29. Ivy Lizabet