Features

John Boyega’s “Oyinbo” Tweet & the Rib-Cracking “Agba Iya” Response

BellaNaija.com

John Boyega Graces the cover of GQ Magazine August 2017 BN Style (4)

Over the weekend, we were minding our business on Twitter – per usual, and spotted a tweet by our very own John Boyega. (Yes, he is ours… he claimed our Jollof rice and we embraced him too!)

Anyway, back to the tweet:

“My prayers have been said and my kneecaps moisturised. Now time to watch Attack on titan for the whole day”

What a fine chilled Saturday the actor was planning to have eh… we noted enviously and kept it moving.

Next thing, we noticed a Twitter user, @bluebellvelvet asked our John to elaborate on why his knee caps had to be moisturised.

Ask and it shall be answered, so it is said in one of the holy books.

Fair enough… she only wanted answers.

Those of us who didn’t know what ‘Attack on Titan’ was simply went to Google. Alas, the answer to the knee caps question could not be found on Google, so Dee Dee had to ask.

The Star Wars actor’s reply had Naija Twitter laughing all weekend long!

Poor Dee, her mentions were a mess, after Nigerians were just laughing at her. How was she to know the meaning of “Oyinbo”?

She even suggested kneelers… Bless!

Anyway, she must have gone to go Good Ol’ Google eventually, because her attempt to type in Yoruba just left us speechless!

“Mama didn’t raise no agba iya”

Kai Kai, Dee Dee should have just left this matter! Please Yoruba people should help us interpret…

Anyway, we guess she took it in good stride and we’re happy it did not descend to another level.

1. Temi

August 7, 2017 at 8:11 am

Dry

2. [email protected]

August 7, 2017 at 8:26 am

Very dry.

3. ugo

August 7, 2017 at 9:31 am

@ first two commenters: where and when do you do your stand-up routines? I’ll like to attend o,Lepacious mummy,and temi the basket.

4. Victor Adegoke

August 7, 2017 at 9:34 am

Hmmm.

5. abby

August 7, 2017 at 10:06 am

I’m yoruba and I don’t even understand what the both of them are on about? There’s no connection na

• Ms B

August 7, 2017 at 11:37 am

I still don’t gerrit jor? Kneeling? Attack titans?

6. Me

August 7, 2017 at 12:40 pm

If you don’t get the “Joke”, John is referring to his knees as “dry”…

Black people tend to have dry/flaky skin. so the friction between the floor and his skin caused him to use a moisturising cream. [Attack on titan – It’s a cartoon]

Dee Dee did not get his tweet because she can’t relate with it (as much anyway)…which is why he said “oyinbo” (white people)…

“Mama didn’t raise no agba iya” – (Agba iya means A bad elderly person)
    So I would like to think she’s a lot older than him for her to say “Her mother did not raise her to be a bad elderly person” {who doesn’t respect people younger than her}.

I hope you will appreciate my explanation. lol

• Californiabawlar

August 7, 2017 at 1:53 pm

My dear, we appreciate you…. you are doing the Lords work out here in these streets. Mo’blezzin!
      I thought it was hilarious! I don’t even know how a black person won’t get the gist… but oh well!

Atoke

August 7, 2017 at 2:43 pm

OMG!!!!

LMAOOOO

And Mama didn’t raise no ‘fool’ got translated to ‘agba iya’

LOL

I died!!!

7. Udegbunam Chukwudi

August 7, 2017 at 12:44 pm

Mschew. Sometimes not pettiness. Sometimes just relax and educate a somebody.

8. gbemieO

August 8, 2017 at 5:56 pm

i guess she used google translate to find out what fool or old fool is, hence her agba iya reply