Features

What’s your Favorite Chinua Achebe Book?

BellaNaija.com

What's your Favorite Chinua Achebe Book? - BellaNaija

Chinua Achebe

Today would have been the 87th birthday of the man widely regarded as the father of modern African literature, Chinua Achebe.

Achebe challenged the colonialist’s view on Africa with his first novel “Things Fall Apart,” and consistently with his other novels, essays, short stories, and language.

He was a firm believer in Africans writing their own stories, owning their own history, and to celebrate him, we’re asking you guys to mention your favorite book of his.

Achebe authored 5 novels -“Things Fall Apart” in 1958, “No Longer at Ease” in 1960, “Arrow of God” in 1964, “A Man of the People” in 1966, and “Anthills of the Savannah” 21 years later in 1987.

He also published children’s literature, including “Chike and the River,” and the short story collection “Girls at War and Other Stories.”

Certainly, there are his essay collections, one of them “Hopes and Impediments” in 1988, another, the popular “The Education of a British-Protected Child” in 2009, and, of course, “There Was a Country: A Personal History of Biafra” in 2012.

Which of his books have you read? Have you read more than one? Which one is your favourite? Let us know!

1. Frida

November 16, 2017 at 6:51 pm

My favorite is definitely ‘things fall apart’

A masterpiece in my opinion.

2. Ruby

November 16, 2017 at 7:34 pm

My favorite is Things Fall Apart. The rhema packed in that book ehh…

3. Engoz

November 16, 2017 at 7:43 pm

Things fall apart. It’s like a light bulb switch turns on in your head as an African when you read it. Like your grandpa giving you a knock on the head to reset your brain and heighten your African consciousness.

4. 'Diddie

November 16, 2017 at 8:04 pm

No longer at ease but I stick to things fall apart, that’s a classic anytime

5. Tasmea

November 16, 2017 at 8:29 pm

My best is Arrow of God. I still can’t get over how genius that book is. The end is magnificent! The writing just incredibly breath taking. I wondered about that book years after I read the book. I couldn’t really place a finger on it. Till today I find myself drifting and wondering what Achebe’s moral lesson was. It’s a phenomenal book. Spectacular to say the least. Achebe was a once in a million life times individual. It really doesn’t get better than him. Rest in Peace sir

• momo

November 16, 2017 at 9:35 pm

i agree Arrow of God was scintillating

• Tari Taylaur

November 17, 2017 at 9:45 am

Nice. I like Arrow of God too…you’re making me want to read it again! I also like Things fall Apart and Anhills of the Savannah.

6. Meenee

November 16, 2017 at 8:29 pm

I have this crush on Chike and the River though…

7. Blackbeauty

November 16, 2017 at 8:30 pm

I’ve read Things fall apart definitely my fave, No longer at Ease, Anthills of the Savannah, Arrow of God, Chike and the river.

8. Lizzie

November 16, 2017 at 8:36 pm

It has to be A Man of the People. The book is so underrated, but it touches me the most. It’s ending line is one of the most beautiful I’ve ever read, ” …I say you died a good death if your life had inspired someone to come forward and shoot your murderer in the chest- without asking to be paid”.

9. john

November 16, 2017 at 9:11 pm

1)Things fall apart( infact one of my all time fav )
    2) Arrow of God
    3) There was a country

10. nikky

November 17, 2017 at 12:38 am

Things fall apart is a classic. I didn’t quite appreciate Ant Hills of the Savannah when I read it in school. I read it again a few years ago again and it’s just really fascinating to see how power affected the characters. I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Education of a British-Protected Child, and There was a Country. Achebe is just an absolutely incredible writer and I’m glad he’s work is one of the few things Nigeria can be proud of.

11. aj

November 17, 2017 at 1:54 am

I was so excited to see the google doodle with him on it. I love Things Fall Apart because that’s the only book he wrote that I have read. Read it at an American college.

12. wifematerial

November 17, 2017 at 4:49 am

Things fall apart……………… things are really falling apart nways…….. Chinua Achebe is the face of google……… showed it o everyone in my workplace today …….telling him who he was. Rest on Papa Achebe.

13. Victor Adegoke

November 17, 2017 at 6:45 am

Things Fall Apart and There was a Country.

14. Achebe

November 17, 2017 at 8:15 am

The Trouble With Nigeria, every Nigerian should have a copy of that treatise.

15. Tri.

November 17, 2017 at 9:49 am

Definitely ‘Arrow of God’. It’s one of the best tragic-romans story I’ve read.

16. Bowl

November 17, 2017 at 10:02 am

Read things fall apart as a 9 year old . I didn’t take much from it then except the moonlight fables.
    I read it again in September of this year and the pathos was ” up to here ” .
    I am going to get his other works and read .
    Chinua Achebe never won a Nobel price because he contested the white man ‘ s about us .

17. Loma

November 17, 2017 at 1:41 pm

I too had a crush on ‘Chiks the boy’ from ‘Chike and the River’ but of course grew to love ‘Things fall apart’ too, please don’t make me choose…

18. Mz Socially Awkward....

November 17, 2017 at 1:46 pm

He was such a master storyteller and I read all his fictional books when I was much younger. So it was mainly about the stories for me and certain themes may not have been quickly grasped back then.

Loved the narrative and prose of “Things Fall Apart” and “Anthills of the Savannah” but I think I’ll need to read all those books again (recently re-read Elechi Amadi’s “The Concubine”) as a proper adult to understand the additional layers.

Kai but some of these African writers put a stamp on my youth, sha. African literature is just bae.

19. Bowl

November 17, 2017 at 1:48 pm

I meant white man’s lie !

20. tobi

November 17, 2017 at 2:10 pm

All of them.

21. nnenne

November 18, 2017 at 7:12 am

No longer at ease!

22. ThatShyChic

November 18, 2017 at 2:37 pm

Things fall apart… Dude was one gifted writer!

23. Amaka

November 18, 2017 at 5:29 pm

My favorite book is There was a country: i learnt a lot about the Biafra war…

24. Karis

November 19, 2017 at 12:35 pm

I loved and still love ‘Things Fall Apart’. I can’t count the number of times I have read it, however ‘Arrow of God’ is a masterpiece. I totally fell in love with it when I had to write a paper on it. Only then did I finally agree with the school of thought that opined that it is a better write than TFA.