Features

Frances Okoro: What To Do After the NYSC Year

Hephzibah Frances

Frances OkoroA fresh batch of youth corpers recently passed out from Nigerian Youth Service Corp (NYSC) and I would love to officially welcome you to the real world!

I remember being so agitated at the “meager 19,800 Naira” when I was a youth corper in 2014/2015. And then I passed out and began to appreciate how much of a blessing 19,800 Naira being offered to me – literally on a platform of “doing nothing” was.

I guess for you too, your eyes are suddenly open to the fact that you are no longer entitled to money from anywhere. All you would have, you would have to work for. Even if your parents are rich, something in you right now isn’t so comfortable with asking them for money for upkeep. It’s not so cute anymore to say “daddy buy this for me when you are coming back” because somehow, your brain has aligned with your rite of passage as it was into “adulting“.

The stage of “adulting” can be strange to a lot of youths. It is rife with questions like “what do I do with my life?”

The few months (and maybe up to a year) after NYSC tends to be rough for the majority of youths in Nigeria and sadly, there are not a lot of support systems put in place to ease young people into “adulting“.

It can very much feel like a rude awakening after the passing out parade, and the pictures are shared on social media. Now you are left on your own to figure out what to do.

“What do I do?” remains a question being repeated in your heart.

The very first place you should start at (according to society) is to look for a job, but we all know that that may not be the uppermost thoughts in the heart of some of you.

Whatever your heart is tilting to right now, I would like to share some very general principles that have helped me and continue to help me in the adulting stage after NYSC.

Trust Not In Your Uncle Or Your Brother From Another Mother
Nigeria, as we know, it is full of promises made in as much time as it takes to say “corper wee”.

Young people have been promised things by their uncles or family from the other side of town. These promises, even while good, should never be banked on, or drafted into your vision when you think of how your life would go after NYSC year.

I met a young man who about five years after NYSC did not have a job. Part of his grouse was with his relatives who were well to do, but had refused to help him. He carried that grudge with him everywhere he went.

If you must make something of your life after NYSC, the first place you should start from is shelving “the entitlement mentality”.

They may make promises to you, but never let that form the basis of your success after NYSC year.

Working Hard Is A Good Thing (Even At Meagre Jobs)
After the NYSC year, many people have visions of great jobs with mouthwatering benefits, which is a good thing. You shall get those jobs in Jesus name, amen! But starting small has never killed anyone. As a matter of fact, all things that became grand started with small beginnings.

Along with pulling off the entitlement mentality, you must also pull off the “I’m too big for that” mentality.
Roll up your sleeves and be ready to work at whatever job comes your way, even on the way to your dream job.

Sometimes destiny helpers to your dream job are stationed in the way of your small job, and you have to be stationed right there at your small job to meet them.

You Are Not Too Young To Own Your Own Stuff
The year after my NYSC year was a very rough year for me.

I had continued with my community development service I began during NYSC and registered it as a full-fledged NGO, but I still wanted to work under another NGO for experience and job security, while I built my own NGO on the side.

This was a good plan except that all the NGOs I applied to wouldn’t take me.

After going through a series of NOs, I sat on my kitchen floor after crying from another rejection and heard “what about your own NGO?”

This happened at the end of 2016 when I had already wasted a whole year practically chasing after shadows and crying when the shadows only shifted farther from my reach.

I wiped my eyes, heeded the voice (God’s voice) I heard and started my NGO work fully in 2017. Till date we have impacted lots of students along with a University and run a system of volunteers all over Nigeria who are also serving to push the work further.

I never could have imagined in my wildest dreams that we could do what we do right now.

The fear of “starting” was my bane. The deception of “job security” held my destiny bound for a year.

This principle of owning your own stuff is for those of you who have dreams and visions cut out for you in your heart.
It’s easy to want to chose job security over the uncertainty of not knowing how your visions and dreams will pan out but the truth is that you owe it to your generation to release what is inside you.

You don’t have to wait to get a job before you start that which is itching to be released to your generation.

Don’t just wait for a job after NYSC year, LIVE YOUR DREAMS.

I hope the above principles helped to ease your heart a bit on what to do after NYSC year.
Finally, I would love to share a very important God principle that answers to everyone.

Your uncle’s promises may fail you but God’s promises never will.

What are God’s promises?

See thou a man who is diligent in His business and work? He shall stand before kings, he shall not stand before mere men” (Proverbs 22:29)

“I will bless the works of your hands” (Deuteronomy 28:12)

“A man’s gift makes room for him and brings him before great men” (Proverbs 18:16)

You can bank on the above promises of God and they state a very real principle that if followed will pave a way for you in the world.

(a) You must have a WORK in your hands that God can bless.

(b) That WORK can take the place of your gift- what you have on the inside of you. That WORK may not be a job but you basically expressing the talents and gifts on the inside of you.
We all have gifts and talents in us. Your putting that gift to work will bring you before great men.

(c) You must be diligent in your WORK.
You must love to work. You must do your part before you confess the favour of the Lord. As you stay diligent and faithful even in that seemingly little work, He says you shall be brought before great men.

All you need to excel after NYSC year is imbedded in principles. Follow those principles and not just a job and you shall excel.

To your success after NYSC, I say amen!

Hephzibah Frances is a child of God, VOICE and Scribe for the Lord and a delight to her Father's heart. She is a Lawyer, author, Christian Blogger and social entrepreneur called to the nations.She is the founder of two women ministries, The Women At The Well and The Deborah Generation Christian women ministries called to the Nations of the world but operates from their base in Lagos, Nigeria.She is also the founder of Awakening Youthful Seeds For Christ Initiative a Non-Governmental Organisation focused on raising purposeful youths. She runs a business to help authors and aspiring authors BIRTH THEIR BOOK DREAMS at Beautiful Feet Publishing - Email: [email protected] for help with publishing and marketing your book(s).She is currently the author of twelve books including the best-selling book PRAYERS FOR YOUR FUTURE HUSBAND.*** KEEP IN TOUCH: Email her at [email protected] Her On Social Media: On Facebook: HephzibahFrancesOn twitter @Hephzibahfran/On instagram @hephzibahfrancesWatch her videos on her YouTube Channel at - Hephzibah FrancesVisit her website at www.hephzibahfrances.comDownload FREE eBooks from her on here

1. Tosin

November 26, 2017 at 8:22 am

?

2. Anonymous

November 26, 2017 at 8:26 am

Motivating…… Thanks

• Hephzibah Frances

Frances Okoro

November 29, 2017 at 11:50 am

Glad it was. Thank you for reading

3. Echor Benjamin

November 26, 2017 at 11:29 am

Beautiful and articulatly written Frances. We the Nigerian youth’s need to raise up to the numerous challenges we face by the day.

• Hephzibah Frances

Frances Okoro

November 29, 2017 at 11:50 am

There are sure challenges but we shall overcome ?
      Thanks Benjamin

4. Sandra

November 26, 2017 at 12:30 pm

Thank you Frances, God bless you.

5. daphne_647

November 26, 2017 at 2:24 pm

Thank you so much for this! I am about to finish my service year and this was a word in due season.

6. Dee

November 26, 2017 at 4:23 pm

this is good

7. Ayodeiji

November 26, 2017 at 6:13 pm

Thanks so much for this burden removal experience…. Am about to go NYSC but I’ve been asking myself “what comes next after”.

• Hephzibah Frances

Frances Okoro

November 29, 2017 at 11:51 am

The questions are always there.. glad this helped

8. Mina

November 26, 2017 at 6:25 pm

I was engaged totally with the article all through. It was a beautiful blend of wisdom and sarcasm. God bless you Frances and I pray for strength to continue whatever little you’ve startedand for the courage for most of us to take that first step of starting our own businesses

• Hephzibah Frances

Frances Okoro

November 29, 2017 at 11:52 am

Amen and thank you Mina.
      Courage is sure needed.. and you speak like you want to start something. Make your study. Prepare and launch out. Just don’t let fear be the reason why you stay stuck.
      Wish you all the best

9. Adunnie

November 26, 2017 at 7:00 pm

Thank you so much for this lovely article. I’ll be rounding up Nysc early next year and honestly I don’t know what to do with my life. Everyone has an idea of what they think I should do and I know they mean well but its all so confusing. This article is really helpful. God bless you

• Hephzibah Frances

Frances Okoro

November 29, 2017 at 11:54 am

I cam relate with the confusion Adunnie.
      But it irons itself out.. take the advice but let your path be run by God and your decisions. So no blame goes to failed advice.
      Wish you all the best. The lines shall fall into pleasant places for you in Jesus name..amen

10. Hephzibah Frances

Frances Okoro

November 29, 2017 at 11:50 am

Amen!

11. Mich manquez

January 4, 2018 at 7:55 am

I find it soothing, the fact that you’ve thought to publish this information to reach a larger crowd. Sadly, It’s a topic almost every youth in Nigeria can relate with. For your efforts, I’m grateful to you. I’ve tried to talk to young people around me on this same issue as well & will very much like to partner with you on this project. The awareness on this issue should start off early with teens in senior secondary school. More emphasis should be placed on this matter too when young adults enter University…. You must endeavor to start something no matter how small while you are in school it not only allows you sufficient time to get aquainted with working, making experience-giving errors , it will also gently ease youths into the world of financial responsibility & self sufficiency. They will build courage to start things & businesses on their own. Besides, it also helps with d shame associated with starting small……how? You start small while you are young & due for ititEven by the time you are turning a full fledged adult, your “small” has growngrown. Every young person, whether in school, out of it or in d NYSC program ought to be equipped with this information early. They also need to start thinking abt these things early enough. The fear & despair we fface on this issue after d 1 year compulsory Service (NYSC) is bcos we started late. If you think abt it, the feeling is quite similar to d feeling you have when u have exams tomorrow & you’ve not taken out time at all to prepare for it

12. Mich manquez

January 4, 2018 at 8:33 am

Also, I’m enthused by what you’ve said abt rolling up your sleeves & putting in ur beat even @ small/ menial jobs. We youths often think these rules or advices begin/should start applying after d 1yr of Service. That is a wrong assumption & a very costly mistake. Often, we see Corp members placed in places they ordinarily may nt have been able to gain access to as their place of Primary Assignment(PPA) & they do themselves d injuinjustice of being u serious during that 1yr duration. They forget that it is a chance to prove themselves, test their mettle, Access & train their capability and capacity to perform. They forget that being retained in the PPA should be the list of their worries….. That Instead, Building a track record & a reputation that will speak to the mind of fellow employees should be their target as referral from People z one of the valid & easiest ways of securing job. They forget that people sacrifice more than 1yr of their lives just for the opportunity to prove the ability to employers & fellow employees in Select places under d INTERNSHIP SCHEME. further, they forgo quite a sizeable percentage of the normal pay for the job just to get this opportunity. Yet people are offered this opportunity in NYSC on a platter bt they jst waste it wtout knowing the value.

13. Mich manquez

January 4, 2018 at 8:34 am

I’m a witness to the potency of all I’ve just said. During my service year that just terminated last december(2017),i worked in a place whr employees were thought nt to care. Due to God’s amazing Grace & the work I put in, I received life changing connections & gifts that included a certain amount in foreign currency(Euro). Funny enough, it is a place whr people & serving Corp members thought the pay was crop compared the pay in other agencies & the work that was required of employees. In all, LIFE Z JUST TOO SHORT & INFLOW OF OPPORTUNITIES JUST TOO UNCERTAIN FOR US TO WASTE THE LITTLE WE ARE GIVEN…. WISDOM & DILIGENCE PROFITS…….

14. Agofure Avwerosuo