Features

Luz Tak: Provoked Women Will Strike Back

Emancipation. Eurythmic. Feminism. Muscle. Power.

Who exactly came up with that crap that women are to be seen and not heard? I cannot comprehend how we vastly outnumber the men, yet all the rules work for them. It’s still a man’s world.

So, December 29th,2017 was quite crazy. There was a crazy queue at the ATM of a usually efficient bank, and all six ATMs were not working – crowd overload, plus it was the last working day of the year and banks were cleaning house. We were all jejely waiting (in line) and one of the ATMs started working. Out of nowhere, this man sprints ahead of all us and attempts to slot his card in. Seeing as it was almost my turn and I had been in line for almost 30 minutes,  I had to speak out. I had to inform the Usain Bolt wannabe that there was a queue and he should respect himself and go back. Upon letting him know, the next thing I felt was a punch on my shoulder; then, suddenly but also in slow motion, my own arm stretched out and my small fist landed SMACK on his face. Also, I heard a voice that seemed far away, but was surprisingly mine, say “if you touch me again, you will die today!”

Wallahi people, I swear I don’t even know where that came from. Perhaps entrepreneurship is making me too bold…BUT, I’ll be damned if a brute puts his hands on me and thinks I will cower in fear. Didn’t help that all I could see was Katy Perry urging me on.

Luckily for him (or for me), three men held him back and seriously chastised him. The man was dumbfounded. He certainly did not expect my little fist. Me? I was just getting warmed up but decided to hold my peace before it gingers the other men to switch sides and abuse me. What kind of men do we have in this country? I don’t think he would have dared a hit if a man had called him out. Does he have a wife? Daughter? Clearly, he takes out his frustrations on the weaker sex.

The most stupefying bit was that no woman stood up to him or called him out. One woman actually told me “You are a woman. You should not provoke a man.” WWHHHAAAATTT?? So much for speaking up for justice. Who the hell makes these rules about women being submissive to the point of accepting a beat down? That is why there are so many domestic abuse cases against women – the men never imagine the woman they are hitting will hit back.

Ladies, some serious brainwashing has been done over the centuries and religion has helped to subdue us and make us think that sticking up for ourselves makes us unfeminine. In Psychology, it’s called ‘Reinforced Conditioning’. Many people use the Bible to justify female submission, but I cannot help thinking that the entire Bible was put together by MEN. Yes. Males. The masculine gender. Do you think that the same God, who took Eve from Adam’s rib (Adam’s side) to be a companion and helpmate (not a slave), would want us to be so limited thousands of years later? I won’t get philosophical but it is something to think about. But then, abeg oh! I am not encouraging women in Nigeria to go proposing to men. We, as a people, are not quite ready for that.

Peace and love y’all,

Luz Tak is an unconventional Nigerian female, navigating the stormy, but exciting, seas of entrepreneurship. She loves to express her thoughts in writing to give people something to think about. Luz Tak will challenge and provoke a different perspective of your view point!

1. bruno

February 8, 2018 at 2:27 pm

provoked men will strike back also.

2. Ejiro

February 8, 2018 at 3:38 pm

Yes, these silly thing happen like you own fellow woman telling not to provoke a man because you stood up for yourself.we need more women on women side and more men standing up for justice.

3. Physio Tinu

February 8, 2018 at 3:54 pm

There are many ways to strike back. Violence is NEVER ever a route I will encourage a woman to take. We can use our mouth, our network, our families, our wiles, our sensuality, our maternal instincts, our business acumen even our silence. There are many ways to strike back.

• wells hells

February 8, 2018 at 5:06 pm

in this case she was actually punched… please tell me how all you have listed above would have helped in that situation? we are all aware of everything you have parroted above as that is what we have been told since time immemorial.. however, for situations like this?
      I have been boxing for apprx 4 years, and kickboxing for a further 2. I CAN take care of myself, but does that mean I court, encourage or even revel in physical assaults? no.. I am glad i have not had to rely on these skills outside of my training.. however, should someone bring it my way, and attempt to hurt me- i will hurt them or try very hard to protect myself before help deigns to arrive.. no one has time to stand aside and wait for a saviour… ah mean if there are other people willing to jump into it on my behalf, i will stand aside and let them (but once more, it is all dependent on the circumstance)
      The lady handled herself well- when she saw people had stepped in, she also stopped. she wasn’t looking to continue the altercation. I am VERY happy she defended herself, and also that some people stepped in before it escalated cos lets face it, she could have gotten seriously hurt .. for the women that attempted to shame you- shame on them! not like they read bn posts anyways. looool.
      ps- if the person is very big.. aim a power kick between the legs and run. looool.

4. Asa

February 8, 2018 at 3:59 pm

That time a staff of Young Shall Grow motors pushed me for refusing to pay to pick my waybill and I pushed him right back. I shoved him with two hands and when he called me a devil, I agreed that I was and asked him to dare push me back again.

Sometimes, guys get physical thinking you will cower, they are always shocked when you fight right back. I keep my shoes handy as a weapon though, so that if the matter escalates, I can do equal damage.

5. but

February 8, 2018 at 5:03 pm

but why do you always say men should never act when provoked by women?

Common gtfoh

If you cant take the heat, better shift one side. You provoke anyone, be ready for what comes with it (male or female)

6. Mz_Danielz

February 8, 2018 at 5:37 pm

I was at the bank once when this stuff happened to me. I was on the queue and cos I was tired, I went to sit on a chair. When it was 2 people to my turn, I got back on the queue only for a man to start ranting. I totally ignored him only for him to step up to me at the ATM and try to stop me from withdrawing money. I slapped his hand so hard and a fight started. I was punching and insulting him untill some guys came to settle us. They actually said ‘na woman, leave am’ then I got mad and held him oh. I insisted that the man apologize to me because he was wrong not because I was a woman and he did.

On leaving the bank, his girlfriend stepped up to Mr and went all ‘you tried to fight my boyfriend, let’s gave woman to woman’ I told her I didn’t try to fight her man, I actually did fight her man and was ready to beat the crap out of her too, I also called her s desperate idiot and told her I pitied her cos that man would beat her in future,

Some Nigerian men are uncouth

• danie

February 9, 2018 at 9:38 am

No you are the idiot
      You sat down from the queue
      Did you tell anyone you were going to sit down?
      He prolly came afte ryou sat down and didnt meet you on the line? why should he allow you chance him (from his own point of view)

You could have easily told those in front of you and behind you…

Those on the queue, are they stupid? cant they go sit down too?

You are lying with all you said? i bet the guy slapped your dirty mouth

shift one side dangerous thing