Features

Mrs Kush: 10 Things I Did to Lose 5 Kg

Mrs Kush

Let me start by saying I’ve never been skinny in my life. Add the fact that I’m a food lover and you’ll get a picture of the state of things.

Having said that I’ve never been obese either. I’m sharing these details because if your situation is different from mine and you decide to do these things you might end up with different results.

The routine I adopted was largely shaped by my personality. I’m a social introvert. I love and prefer my own company, but I can do extremely well in social situations and it’ll be difficult for you to detect that I’d rather be in bed than spend time talking to you.

Starve yourself
Yes! I starved myself. Let me explain. Most people eat 2 – 4 slices of bread at breakfast. I can eat on average 6 – 8. That’s 600 – 900 calories minus “accessories”. I had to cut that down drastically and I starved! The feeling of starvation didn’t last too long. After about a month my body adjusted. If like me, you’re already used to over eating you have no choice in this matter. And to those that say bulk with veggies, abegi! You can’t get the same satisfaction from cucumber that you get from fried Chicken. #justsaying. Ps. I did bulk with veggies it just wasn’t the same.

You need to workout
At first, I didn’t work out because I was not in the mood. I lost 200g the first week and 700g the next. That wasn’t cutting it for me. I had to dust my running shoes and hit the streets to speed things up.
Workout alone
This is where my personality comes in. I tried to workout in a group, but it didn’t work out (see what I did there!) I discovered that I did better alone because I could wake up in the morning, get dressed and be on the road in 5 minutes. No phone calls, no logistics and no need to explain to people when I was not in the mood. Shout out to all the joggers I met on the road with face beat, smelling of perfume, they definitely needed more than 5 minutes!

Power walking > Intermittent Jogging
I discovered that when I was low on motivation to jog it was because I was dreading the stress. I used the Nike app to track my workout and one day when I power walked, I burned more calories than when I jogged intermittently. This was because after jogging for 1 mile, I’d walk for another mile slowly to recover which averaged out to a slower pace. I did an average of 10 miles a week in the beginning and increased to about 15 miles a week. I have built strength and endurance over the weeks and can jog for much longer now. Besides, I like to jog past people on the road to feel superior (I’m not perfect).

If you’re a foodie, please cheat on your diet
I went cold turkey the first two weeks and I ended up eating a whole Pizza, Chicken wings, Chocolate cake, Semo and Banga etc, etc in one weekend! All the deprivation made me crave junk even more. Now I cheat steady, but with sense. If I eat a bit more than I should I make sure I don’t miss the next morning’s workout. Most importantly, I try to have more good days than bad #balance.

Meal prep
My progress was slow because I often didn’t meal prep and I ended up eating things I’d have preferred not to. If electricity permits, make healthy meals that’ll last you a few days to a week and freeze. It could be the difference between having junk and a healthy meal when you’re hungry.

Eat lots of Oatmeal
This might be just me, but I found that having Oatmeal (made from 70-100g of dry Oats) kept me full for longer. I tried to replicate this with Granola and other fiber rich foods but couldn’t. If any one understands the reason, please explain in the comments.

Weigh your food
I really didn’t weigh my food much to be honest because I work with food and can guess food weights relatively well. However, if you ask most people to measure a 100g of Rice for example they’ll often end up with double. It’s important to weigh your food so that you don’t over eat. Once you get a hang of what quantities are like, you can start estimating. Invest in a kitchen scale; it’s so worth it. And on that note, cups are NOT a good substitute. My measurement of one cup can be up to 50% more than yours.

Drink lots of water
I often started my day with cucumber and lemon water. The cucumber and lemon were there purely for flavour. I was able to drink more water during the day when I added them than when I didn’t. It goes without saying that drinking lots keeps your stomach full. (Side effect: you pee a lot!)

Be patient
Not everyone will lose 10kg in 1 week. Even if you’re not losing weight initially, the fact that you’re not gaining weight is a sign that what you’re doing is working. Just push further and don’t get discouraged. The results will come.

BONUS – Count it all Joy
During this period, I was under a lot of pressure at work. There was an event we were catering to, that required us to supply Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. We were at work very early to get the Breakfast sorted, went to the client’s site to serve and rushed back to sort out lunch. The same thing during dinner. Some of the days I had to leave my colleagues to get groceries coupled with having to climb the staircase, because there was no lift.
Ordinarily, I’d be frustrated but all I could think of was the calories I was burning!

At another time, the fan of my car AC started “touching” which meant it stopped when I got into heavy traffic and I had to turn it off to stop the car from overheating. I was too busy to drop the car with the mechanic, so whenever I got into traffic I’d sweat like a pig.

In the past I’d be lifting my eyes to the hill from whence cometh my help but this time I was thinking of all the calories I was burning, and my heart was filled with gratitude!

In total it took me about 9 weeks to lose 5kg. I’m happy with my weight now but I’m trying to lose 5kg more. I took a Christmas break which has been extended to Valentine! Fingers crossed I can get it done in a shorter time. My starting weight was 77kg at last weigh in I was 72.4kg.

Mrs Kush

Ps.

I still have my “food expert’s waistline”. Father Lord please send angels to snatch my waist. I have tried! ?

Photo Credit: Feature image | © Romastudio Dreamstime.com

1. ik

February 2, 2018 at 4:00 pm

I lost 6kg over 3 months on the Keto diet + plenty water. NO I did not exercise. I did some walking but that was basically to my office and back home which is a 5 mins walk. Does that count? I love the skinny me now…hehe

2. Lol

February 2, 2018 at 4:02 pm

Easy read and relatable post. Great tips for sustainable weight loss

3. Jummy

February 2, 2018 at 4:18 pm

Lmaooo

Good and humorous read Mrs Kush! Let me add to your weight loss tips. In addition to all of that, try intermittent fasting! I promise you it will shrink your waist and every part of your body fast!

I had always heard about it but thought it was too hard or it was a diet fad. I finally read a review here on BN and thought it was doable by her standards.

I do the 16/8 method where I basically have an early dinner and a late breakfast. So I have my last meal at 6/7 at night and eat absolutely nothing till 10/11 the next day. Sounds doable for your average Joe right? You bet it is! Once you picture it that way it’s more doable, at least in my opinion.

I did this in addition to working out, reducing my portions, and cutting out pastries (my guilty pleasure!) Every other thing I eat but in moderation.

I started intermittent fasting December 1 and I weighed 85kg. By January 15th when I weighed again, I was 75kg! It was surreal. 10kg in a little over a month?!

IF is the best abeg! Every time I tell people that what I did they look at me like “what’s this one saying?”
    I also have to add that I didn’t stick to it every single day. I think I have an off day every week or every other week.

P.S: I’ve also never been skinny nor obese, but my waist has almost always been snatched sha. Lol. All my excess fat goes everywhere else but my waist.

• Yellow sun

February 3, 2018 at 4:50 am

Omg…u have my dream weight size…i have been hovering then 83kg to 85kg all of last year…but this January i shot up to 90kg…
      Now I’m doing IF diet and watching wat I eat…it is hard but I’m tired of been uncomfortable.
      I pray to testify at some point oh…

• Tincan

February 3, 2018 at 7:58 am

What???!!! Can I just take a moment to say ‘I hate ya’. 10kg.in.a.month.did.you.say?’ Iz not possible! Intermittent fasting, here I come.

The only wahala now is, my body type is the opposite of yours. Been looking 7 months preggers for the last year and a half. Jesus take the wheel.

4. Mama

February 2, 2018 at 4:22 pm

Well done dear. You didn’t talk about alcohol. I find it’s the biggest weight loss killer. One cocktail can be 600 calories. And if you are like me who can drink 5 in one sitting, out does the diet. I hear tequila is the best drink for weight loss.

• Jojo

February 2, 2018 at 6:29 pm

God to be careful about tequila. Alcohol content very high, alcohol poisoning with toooo much. You might as well drink ogogoro
      Nice piece

5. Akara Pancake

February 2, 2018 at 5:30 pm

Very informative piece, Mrs Kush! I am a huge fan. I would add the following:

1. Get enough sleep , and your body heals during rest, which helps with recovery and weight loss. You are less likely to binge on a calorie laden dish of indomie noodles, suya, fried plantain and eggs while you are sleeping, so you win anyway

2. Log all the food you eat. Myfitnesspal (MFP) is a superb app for this with Nigerian food included (Moi moi, you beloved but evil favourite of mine, so you are 240 calories for a mere 140grams of you. When I was younger, I was taught that you are all harmless “protein”. Smt). The Fitbit app also has a good food register, along with stats for your daily calories burned which helps you calculate “Calories In, Calories Out”

3. Lift weights. Cardio is good, but nothing leans you out like weight lifting. Females shouldnt be scared of becoming “yamrous”, as it would take Olympian sized weights, a rigorous training and diet program, and the use of special supplements and steroids to look like Mighty Igor. Weightlifting burns calories long after you stop the activity. Incorporate squats and deadlifts into your routine.

4. If you buy any one gadget this year, I would recommend an Airfryer. It helps you fry foods without the oil. So stuff like plantain, potatoes, chicken, turkey can be prepared with half or less of the calories.

Good luck!

• Tee

February 2, 2018 at 8:54 pm

Yh the air fryer is very important… tbh I can’t remeber the taste of frying chicken in oil….

Another thing is taking oats.. I really hate it. It’s worse with milk as I feel like throwing up after taking milk. Any other healthy breakfast options?

• Akara Pancake

February 2, 2018 at 10:46 pm

The Air Fryer is king. Plus it could do so many things – like you can make zucchini fries, or a chicken/beef jerky. It even grills frozen food/vegetables.

Regarding oats, you get what you pay for with them. Cheap instant oats with lots of artificial flavours and additives taste like what they cost. The top notch oats from a health perspective are steel cut ones which you mostly have to prepare on a stove – they do not cook well in the microwave.

However I wont lie, for oats to be palatable for me, they have to taste right as well as be as organic as possible. If you are in Yankee, I recommend “Think Thin Madagascar Vanilla Almond Pecans”. It is a huge favorite of mine but try to enjoy in moderation. Pair your oatmeal with a sprinkling of granola – I recommend “Love Crunch Dark Chocolate Granola”. No need for milk at all.

If you are in Nigeria, I am not sure what brand of oatmeal to recommend, but you could try a tea spoonful of natural honey in yours for taste. Enjoy!

• Anon

February 3, 2018 at 12:42 pm

Tee – I’m with you re-oats. Can’t eat it as porridge. Instead, I blend it smoothly and cook on the hob to eat with soup (okro, efo riro, afang…) That way you don’t taste it, the soup covers up for it.

• jennietobbie

February 3, 2018 at 10:38 pm

This is an informative trend so I jumped in on it. Thanks for the airfryer idea. Also, to help the ladies out with oatmeal, I take mine with yogurt because I don’t like neither milk nor sugar with it. So, try oatmeal with your fav yogurt. Greek Yogurt is approx 100 cals.

6. Neli

February 2, 2018 at 8:01 pm

Where can can I get the air fryer?

• Akara Pancake

February 2, 2018 at 10:49 pm

You can get one on Amazon. Though Walmart and Target carry some decent brands as well. Philips who pioneered the technology are the top brand Air Fryers, but they are a bit pricey and start at $200, but there are other decent brands by companies like Chefmate, Farberware and PowerXL at between 80 to 140 dollars. It is a very good investment which pays for itself, trust me

7. Marian

February 2, 2018 at 11:54 pm

@Tee Try oatmeal again cooked with soymilk and a pinch of salt. The salt made all the difference for me.

8. Mama

February 3, 2018 at 5:37 am

Hi Marian, you might not know this but soymilk and soy products in general is a no-no for women, especially women of African descent. You may want to read up about soy’s relation to estrogen dominance and fibroids. While some believe it does no harm, I say it is better to err on the side of caution.

Mrs Kush has very good suggestions, but I think it is important to add a caveat about the possible side effects of rapid weight loss to articles like this. Please I mean no harm. I say this because a lot of times people talk about how rapidly they lost weight with diet and exercise but they fail to mention that losing weight too fast can affect your hormones. I found this out the hard way.

Last year, between April and July I gained 5kg. My annual average weight gain prior to this was 1kg, and I have always wanted to gain more weight but this one happened too quickly that I was determined to shed it off. I switched to healthier eating habits using the myfitnesspal app, and included daily exercise (mostly jogging) to my routine. I lost the 5kg within 3 months which is a good time frame in my opinion but my body thought differently. For the first time in my life I experienced delayed period that lasted more than the typical 2 to 3 days. By the 3rd day, when I realized that it could be the exercising (after doing some research on google), I stopped completely. After another 3 days(6 days in total) my period showed up. I have since cut down my exercising to about 3 times a week and stopped counting calories, i just try to eat healthy and although all has been well since then. my period pattern changed a little (which I am not happy about). The whole point of my epistle is, I watched countless Youtube videos on weight loss before commencing and NONE, absolutely none mentioned that it can potentially affect your period, but these things happen.

Be careful and wise about it. Do your research and don’t try to lose too much weight in a short time frame, your body might begin to think you’re starving. You don’t want to end up with other problems while trying to stay fit. Cheers to good health in 2018!

• Red

February 5, 2018 at 5:54 am

Omg! Thank you for saying this Mama! The EXACT same thing happened to me. I began this whole change; working out, running at 4am, all the works. My hormones/ body sensed this change and reacted differently. Delayed periods and the work. Turns out, my body stresses out; my period runs away. So I’ve changed the routine to trying to eat healthier as opposed to having full blown workouts.