Hey there, it’s good to have you back!
Last week, we started the back-to-the-basic series and I love that you learnt a number of things. So now that you’ve taken the right step to get listed on Google My Business and we can find you easily via web searches, what’s the next step? Building a website? Advertising on other platforms? Signing up on various social media platforms? Yes, that one, social media is the next thing we’ll talk about. I mean, we could go on posting on Instagram and worrying about our likes and comments but we need to get reminded of some basics!
No doubt, social media holds great benefits! It helps you:
- Profile your business
- Connect with a larger network of people who have their own network
- Create a platform for your new and existing customers to reach you fast
- Stay in touch with trends in your industry
- Build trust! When people see good reviews from other customers, that’s an incentive!
What then do you do on social media?
With a lot of communities, friends and celebrities on social media, it’s easy to get overwhelmed but hey, you have to put your eyes on the prize! Going back to Sandra who just launched her fashion business, her goal is to build brand awareness and get more customers but she must understand these major social media platforms serve different purposes:
- Instagram is a great platform to share lovely pictures that have a professional feel
- Facebook is good for community engagement & promoting events as people can RSVP
- LinkedIn keeps you in touch with a professional circle (your next best employee might just be there!)
- Pinterest is such a great place to find design inspiration
- YouTube is a great platform to share your ‘how to’ videos, styling inspiration videos and more
Social Media Plan
Now that Sandra has taken some time to watch how each platform works, she needs to put her mouth where her money is! That is, define her business goals and think of the best platforms to help her achieve them. What is her typical customer scrolling through right now? Instagram? Facebook? What are they talking about? What are the fashion trends right now? What designers are her target audience interested in? What are those designers posting?
While our dear Sandra takes time out to answer these questions, we’ll take a look at building strategy for Facebook and Instagram next week. Want to reach me, holla on Instagram or email me at [email protected]
This column aims to share tips that would help brands grow their businesses online and will be published every Tuesday. Although some brands may be mentioned from time to time, they are only for illustration purposes as this column is not promotional.