Features

A BellaNaijarian Reading: We Want You to Share Your Current Reads With Us!

I imagine so many of us have decided in 2019 we are going to be reading. All the books we missed out on. Akwaeke Emezi’s Freshwater, Tomi Adeyemi’s Children of Blood and Bone, Michelle Obama’s Becoming.

(I have Becoming waiting as I crawl my way through George Saunders” Lincoln in the Bardo, savoring every bit.)

New ones, too, so many of them coming this 2019. Emezi’s children’s book, Pet. The second book in Adeyemi’s trilogy, Children of Virtue and Vengeance, will arrive in March. Mino Ehirim‘s Prince of Monkeys in April. Toke Makinwa has said we’ll be reading from her again in 2019. So many.

And we want you to share all of that with us.

Every month, we’ll be asking you to tell us about your reading experience. How many books did you read? Which one stood out, a head above the rest? What was it about the characters that made them so human? If it’s non-fiction, what was it about, and if you’re a lover of poetry, what collection moved you?

Send it to our mail, [email protected], with the subject “A BellaNaijarian Reading.” We’ll pick one reader at the end of every month. It’s BN Book Club again, but different. Call it BN Book Club 2.0.

To start, you could share the books you’re excited to read this year. What 2019 book are you looking forward to, and what 2018 book you’re carrying over to this year.

1. Sarah

January 11, 2019 at 10:42 pm

I am about to start reading ‘Becoming’ by Mitchelle Obama..I am banking on the element of surprise on this one, so much that I refused to read the reviews on this book. I am excited..next is Stay with me, I missed out on reading this book last year. I am looking forward to it

2. Atoke

Atoke

January 12, 2019 at 12:09 am

I just finished reading Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi, and I’m waiting anxiously for Children of Virtue and Vengeance, because I wanna see how much more mess Zélie can get herself into.
    Currently reading Silver Sparrow by Tayari Jones – a few pages in and love it already. An American Marriage was such a page-turner, I’m not going to rest until I read all of Tayari Jones’ work. 🙂

3. Ajala & Foodie

January 12, 2019 at 1:57 am

I have the hardcover of Becoming by Michelle Obama looking at me from my night stand. I am actually excited about reading the hard copy. Highlighting and taking notes. First, I have to finish Christine Caine’s “Embracing the unexpected”.

4. Jennietobbie

January 12, 2019 at 5:13 am

Finished “Becoming” by Michelle Obama. Still high from it…

5. Peter Perez

January 12, 2019 at 9:56 am

Am still reading “Born on a Tuesday” by Elnathan John and is about the politics on the northern states.

6. Peter Perez

January 12, 2019 at 9:58 am

Hello, guys how can I be ardent in reading and also very fast too?

7. Yetunde

January 12, 2019 at 4:18 pm

Jan 1st 2019, I started with Arese Ugwu’s Smart Money Woman(got me blown away-a very brilliant work), followed closely by Buchi Emecheta’s The Bride Price, then, Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming and I am currently reading Tomi Adeyemi’s Children of Blood and Bone. So far, I am loving the twist and fun in this book. The plot is unique and refreshing.

8. Nky

January 12, 2019 at 6:17 pm

Just finished reading things fall apart Chinwe Achebe

9. Oshare

January 12, 2019 at 10:03 pm

Discovered Henry Miller , it has been a binge . Tropic of cancer , tropic of capricorn, sexus , plexus ,nexus , black spring . What a mind !

10. AHausaChickInToronto

January 13, 2019 at 4:27 am

I just finished reading chimamanda’s half of a yellow sun (I really liked it and it encouraged me to do more reaserch on the civil war)…. I know I’m late on this one but I’m just about to start 7 habits of highly effective people.

11. Mymind

January 14, 2019 at 1:19 pm

I just finished Mastery by Robert Greene, now I’m reading Atomic Habits by James Clear.