Features

Uru Eke: People & Their Pet Peeves

Uru Eke

Grammarist.com defines a pet peeve as “…something one finds annoying, a particular thing that a person finds to be obnoxious. Usually, a pet peeve is something that most people are not at all bothered by, or something that to most people is a very minor annoyance, yet may drive a certain person to distraction.”

I have a number of pet peeves and I doubt this article will suffice to address them all.

Let me start with good ol’ WhatsApp. I’ve noticed that ever since WhatsApp was updated and you can now set your “Last Seen” status to “Nobody” so no one knows when you were last online, it has become ok not to reply people’s messages and indefinitely leave them hanging. I mean, I am sure that there are a varied degree of reasons why you would ignore a message, but how about when it’s, for instance, someone you are providing a service to?

I once saw 700 unread messages on a friend’s phone and I shuddered. 700? Are they friends or foes? Why do they have your number if you will not respond to them? I asked. He responded with, “Because I’m not ready to.” That’s fine, but 700? There were a few occasions I sent messages to him as well and never got a response till a day or two later, and because I had seen the 700 unread messages on his phone, I made up my mind I wasn’t ever going to send another, and till this day I haven’t.

How about service providers? Oh, good grief, where do I begin? I think I have had the singular misfortune of dealing with the most unprofessional, unethical, terribly behaved tailors/stylists or whatever they call themselves. One in particular who used to be a personal friend of mine was probably the worst of them all. I paid her to make me a dress for an award ceremony and judging by what I saw the day I went to pick it up, it looked like it had been knocked up overnight. Long and short is I couldn’t wear it and had to rummage through my wardrobe for something else. I told her to fix the dress, that I would wear it someplace else, ladies and gentlemen, she gave the dress to someone else to wear for a photoshoot. A dress that I had paid for in full. The only reason I knew this was because the person she gave the dress to put it up on IG. This goes way beyond a pet peeve to downright disrespect. I didn’t ask for the dress again, and sent her and her friendship to the wilderness.

Another unfortunate experience was with another tailor/stylist lady who I had worn something of hers before and I liked her work and asked her to make me a number of outfits. She took my fabric and never told me she was getting married. Six months came and went and I hadn’t gotten my fabric back, or the outfits. Now, if you were preparing for your wedding, why on earth don’t you just tell me that you won’t be taking orders for a while and I would have taken my business elsewhere. The lack of communication or the absolute disregard and flagrance to not delivering an agreed service was ridiculous.

One of the worst things about pet peeves is that the people who are “peeving” us never seem to be bothered by them. In fact, the offenders are often unaware they are doing anything irritating at all. Or am I wrong?

I was the only customer standing at the customer service queue in a bank, waiting to be attended to. Next thing this man from nowhere comes to stand right in front of me. I look behind me, then back at him, puzzled. Then I asked him what he was doing in front me as he could see I got there before he did. He replied saying when they call for the next person I should go. I told him he was wrong and the obvious thing to do was to wait in line behind me. An argument ensued, and he said he would slap me. Comical man, I tell you. I assured him he wouldn’t have a leg to stand on if he tried it.

We all commit pet peeve offenses now and again and we may or may not be aware we have committed one. Having said that, there are some people who are just hyper irritated at everything. The way someone talks, walks or eats is enough to set them off – these type of people are “special.”

There is little doubt that the evergrowing popularity of social media has given rise to a completely different set of pet peeves. Social media pet peeves like…

Being tagged in posts or photos that don’t have anything to do with you (I hope my friend who is a repeat offender with this, reads this)

Public lovey dovey messages to your significant other (a lot of the time they are cringe worthy).

Begging for a follow back.

Posting a picture with an unrelated philosophical quote.

Social media beggars – this has increased especially as a result of the current dispensation.

Vendors marketing their goods on your page.

Creeps sliding into your DM.

Unsolicited advice on your posts.

The list is endless and the truth is they are never going to go away. I guess the best way to handle pet peeves is finding a way to simply tolerate/manage them. Because if you spend precious time trying to nip them all in the bud, you’ll lose your marbles.

1. Sandra

January 25, 2019 at 11:23 am

Uru, I always love reading your articles, you are a wonderful writer. Well done.

• Jummy

January 25, 2019 at 3:14 pm

Yeeeessssss to the lovey dovey messages to lovers on “Sosh Meed” (Blame Bob’s Burger’s. Louise’s friend’s parents referenced it one episode like that and it stuck LOL)

I just feel like you could just tell your lover privately instead of telling your lover AND all of us (because face it that’s what you’re doing). And yes, once you make your private life public you open it up to scrutiny. I’m so desensitized to those ones begging sef cause I’m so used to seeing it now. I don’t think ANYBODY in my life no matter how much I love em would ever get one of those mini-speeches on Instagram.

I attend bible study every Friday at a host’s house from church. I live in one of those European countries that made their immigration policies super lax and let in mass immigrants from a couple of years ago. Well they’ve recently started to tighten their borders and have been deporting people back to their countries. My host would be more than receptive to the asylum seekers and would be very sad to see them go peradventure they get deported. Last week towards the end of bible study, our host came to me and said “A***** every time these people we helped get deported they end up asking for more and more and more money from us after they’ve landed in their home countries and we don’t know how to say no. The local money transfer where we send money to them has banned us from making transfers to Africa because they think we are being scammed. What do I do?”

To say I was embarrassed is an understatement. I just told him that they do it to every one so he shouldn’t take it seriously and just stop sending them money. Chai, just spoiling our name anyhow. smh

Thing is social media increasingly replenishes our cravings for being recognized and validated, and has made us increasingly impulsive. Almost everyone (including me) is a slave to it and that was why after weighing the pros and cons I decided the costs far outweighed the benefits on there and have since reduced my use on there to practically nonexistent.
      I have posted a picture or a status in almost 3 years, and I have deleted all apps from my phone and can only go on there via a web browser. All of those things make sure I curtail my presence on there, and I can say I feel so much better. When I have those days I’m craving external validation I take a picture and send to my best friend and my mama and they gas me like crazy and I’m good LOL

• Uru

January 25, 2019 at 7:28 pm

2. Marie Antoinette

January 25, 2019 at 1:01 pm

Thanks for this topic Uru! Pet peeves are super annoying. My list is endless as well but top on that cringe worthy list are;
    – People sticking out their tongues in photos or videos ( the reason I’m not a fan of Cardi B)
    – Bathroom selfies
    – ungroomed finger nails on guys

I’m sure I’m guilty on someone else’s list somewhere lol ?

• Mrs chidukane

January 25, 2019 at 4:35 pm

You have two of my pet peeves. Sticking tongue out and ungroomed finger nails on guys. Especially the one long fingernail thingy. It irritates me to no end..
      Another pet peeve is people waking me up when I’m sleeping for no good reason.
      People who do giveaways on social media. Like, Emma is giving us 30k to give to 3 people. Go to his page like it and thank him and pray for him and tag five friends to follow him. All that stress, odiegwu.
      Mothers that dress well while their kids and husband look raggedy. Especially, their kids. This one hurts my soul and has been hurting my soul since secondary school.
      My number one pet peeve sha and I don’t know if its a chemical imbalance, is my kids wearing pieces of clothing that don’t color coordinate. When I’m having a new baby,I choose a color scheme and coordinate everything. It really bothers me if I deviate from the color scheme. I think its a disorder sha.

• Anon

January 27, 2019 at 9:55 pm

Re-Another pet peeve is people waking me up when I’m sleeping for no good reason.

How do they know you are sleeping? Are they calling after midnight? Maybe they think or know you are a late sleeper. Also some people who live in a different time zone have no concept of time.

Why not put your phone on silent when you sleep and away from your bed so it doesn’t vibrate?

• Californiabawlar

January 25, 2019 at 6:36 pm

Chai! I loooooove sticking my tongue out in pictures… been doing it since I was a kid ? some of us are just silly jare? ? ? ?

3. Californiabawlar

January 25, 2019 at 2:58 pm

Uru you’re a beautiful and wonderful actress… I miss seeing your feems ?

As much as we were tired of Nollywood casting the same five people in movies back in the 90s and early 2000s, the way they now roll out ‘star’ actors every new five movies is exhausting… everyone is pretty much an amateur.

That’s my own entertainment ‘pet peeve’. ??‍♀️

• Uru

January 25, 2019 at 7:27 pm

Thank you, Don’t worry i’ve got something you’ll like hitting the screens soon. Stay tuned?

4. Maxine

January 25, 2019 at 3:05 pm

This is the first time I’m reading any of your write ups and this was so well written…. and all true!

• Uru

January 25, 2019 at 7:28 pm

5. SeamsBySimi

January 25, 2019 at 8:04 pm

Wonderful article Uru. I am sorry you’ve had issues with tailors in the past. I am however offering my services if you are ever in need of a tailor who will communicate properly, is professional and will deliver as when promised.
    IG handle is @seamsbysimi 🙂

6. Annabel

January 26, 2019 at 2:54 am

Correct babe. Some things are so cringeworthy… where do we start from to analyze? Very well written article, and very beautiful picture. I believe we are like minds.