Hair Notes: African Girl with Long Hair

Posted on Tuesday, April 3rd, 2012 at 11:29 AM

By BellaNaija.com

Who says that an African girl cannot have a long hair? I mean an African girl, born and bred in the continent without any trace of Asian or Caucasian parentage, with hair that has grown beyond her shoulders. Don’t be surprised! Long hair is not only the preserve of the “Non-Africans”. Yes we know that their hair texture is usually straight and it’s thought to grow longer, while the African hair texture has this corkscrew shape that grows in rings. One fact about all hair types is that it grows. Understanding the chemistry of hair growth and grooming it is the key factor in achieving a long hair both for people of all races.

Hair grows at approximately 1.25centimeters or 0.5inches per month; this is about 15centimeters or 6inches per year. The speed of hair growth sometimes slows down to about 0.25centimeters or 0.1inch per month and this happens about 3 times in a year. So averagely, the hair achieves a length of 12centimeters or 4.7inches in 12months. The length between the top of the head to the shoulder is approximately 25centimeters or 9.75inches. So at the rate of 12centimeters or 4.7inches per year, it will take the hair approximately 2years and 14days to achieve a shoulder length. In 2years and 6months, the hair has grown beyond the shoulders and stands at the length of 30centimeters or 11.7inches. This hair growth calculation applies to any type of hair.

Sadly looking at what is trending amongst African women, it can be noticed that the preference for Asian/Caucasian hair type/style is higher when we look at it from the perspective of the number of women who use hair extensions frequently and those who wear the natural afro hairstyle. But one underlying yearning for some of these women is the wish that the hairpiece they are fixing is their natural hair. So the task at hand is to show those women who prefer the Asian/Caucasian hairstyle, how to achieve it with their own natural hair.

Given that in 21/2 years the hair can grow beyond the shoulder, what we have to look at is
(a) How to strengthen the hair to make it look and feel like the Asian/ Caucasian
(b) How to groom the hair to ensure that it is strong and healthy until the desired length is achieved

In strengthening the hair, the process of hair relaxing is used. Relaxing loosens the hair’s natural curl pattern located inside the hair cortex, and once this curl pattern has been loosened, the hair becomes straight and the new structure cannot be reversed because the structure of the hair molecule has been reshaped. Reshaping the original molecular structure of any element weakens it, but if properly treated, that element can be made stronger in its new shape. Given that relaxing runs the risk of making the hair to be brittle and weak, hence tending to breakage, this problem can easily be avoided if the application is performed by an experienced and certified hair stylist. After relaxing, it must be ensured that all relaxer residues are washed off the hair. Use a neutralizing shampoo preferably one that has a colour indicator (try the Natures Gentle Touch Silky Neutralizing Shampoo) will make it easier to notice if there are still relaxer residues on the hair. After relaxing, the hair should undergo a deep conditioning treatment immediately to restore some of the natural essential oils that have been stripped off by the harsh chemicals in the relaxer.

Note: Once a hair has been strengthened through relaxing, it is irreversible unless in a situation where the hair did not relax. Only relax new growth which is at least 1inch. So wait for at least 8 weeks before the next relax. When relaxer is applied to an already strengthened hair, it erodes the hair leaving it very brittle and prone to breaking. Always make sure that relaxer application is performed by a certified hair stylist.

In between the next relaxer application, deep condition the hair weekly to strengthen, detangle and prevent split ends. Some deep conditioning treatments contain a blend of herbal ingredients that add extra benefit to the hair. For example, the Natures Gentle Touch Deep Conditioning Cholesterol Treatment has a blend of Vegetable proteins, Shea butter and Vitamin E that heal damaged scalp and foster hair growth. Deep conditioning treatments also replenish moisture in the hair if done regularly and equally prevent the hair from becoming damaged when heat is applied during styling. The elasticity of the hair is also improved with regular deep conditioning treatments.

With the process of strengthening the hair noted, the next task is to maintain the growth to ensure that it stays healthy and strong, and reach the desired length. A simple routine that involves timely cleaning, conditioning, moisturizing and periodic trimming is all that is needed. One of the major factors that can affect the health of the hair is dirt. Dirt attacks the hair strands making it brittle and vulnerable to breakage. Also accumulated dirt can lead to different scalp conditions that militate against hair growth. A recommended care routine for the African hair should follow thus:

- Shampoo every week or every 10 days. On any other day, rinse to remove sweat and salt. A moisturizing shampoo is preferable for the African hair because it adds moisture to the hair strands. When shampooing, do it gently to avoid breaking the hair. Just massage the scalp with the fingertips and gently wash off without pulling the hair.
- Moisturise daily mostly after the first bath. Before going the bed in the evening, wet the hair or spray with water and apply Castor oil or Shea Butter Cream to lock away moisture. This process is like watering a flower garden, the flowers blossom when they receive the right nutrients necessary for their growth. For ideal products to use, try the Natures Gentle Touch Daily Oil Moisturiser and Castor Oil Conditioning Cream.

- Conditioning makes the hair strong and healthy. Deep Condition every week or try a hot oil treatment in place of it.

- Trim when necessary. Whenever the hair starts looking thin and unhealthy at the ends, go for a trim. Split-ends will cause more damage to the hair so it’s better to trim it off. Split-ends are like dead skin layers. If they are not exfoliated, they block the skin pores making it difficult for the skin to receive nutrients.

- Go on a healthy diet that will ensure that the hair grows normally.

African Girl with Long Hair!

****
Share Your Hair Testimonial (Good or Bad) via the comments box below and WIN from Natures Gentles Touch
You can win one of our 5 Free Hair Therapy Vouchers from NGT.
The most inspiring testimonial will receive the vouchers!

The voucher gives the bearer access to undertake a free treatment in any of the following services at the Natures Gentle Touch Hair Institute in Lagos.

- Hair Breakage Treatment
- Dandruff Treatment
- Hair Relaxer
- Weak & Damaged Hair Treatment

*Note that the NGT Institute is in Lagos, therefore this prize is only redeemable in Lagos
Natures Gentle Touch is a natural hair care brand that provides solutions to different hair and scalp problems such as hair breakage, dandruff and hair loss. It is the owner of Natures Gentle Touch Hair institute, the largest conservatoire of beauty and style education is Sub-Saharan Africa.

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: ,

• Custom Search
  • 120 Comments on “Hair Notes: African Girl with Long Hair”

Comments
    • LPS April 3, 2012 at 11:47 AM

My hair was longer than this …No thanks to london weather :(

• Rachey December 19, 2012 at 4:50 PM

ermmmmmmmm xcuse mee, i came to this website to grow AFRO HAIR, not relax like the woman in he image did. NO HELP AT ALL!

• Esione Asakome November 12, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Hi! Check out my blog if you want to grow long AFRO hair! :) I just started it, but I shall keep updating it! I hope you like it

• Amber April 3, 2012 at 11:49 AM

If only African women could keep their own hair instead of joining all what is not to their hair.what people don’t understand is that we are so blessed in Africa that we have such a nice weather to keep ur own hair,plus all the fruits and natural things you can get to nourish the hair

• Kach April 3, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Thank God for this piece. When I was much younger, my hair was every lady’s dream. But due to constant relaxing and improper maintenance, it lost its glory. My front hair is the height of this menace. Thanks to a very dear friend who advised me on conditioning my hair and scalp as frequently as I can, as well as applying Castor oil and Shea Butter Cream which she provides. Hopefully, my hair is regaining its beauty. Might not be what it used to be, but definitely better than the sorry state it found itself.

• Tania April 3, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Thankfully most of my life (childhood to adulthood), my hair was always afro. Very long thick afro, never had the experience of a relaxed hair. Until My wedding late last year, when I wanted to do something different with my hair, and my hair stylist lightly texturized my hair (and tonged it straight for the hair style I wanted). To be honest since my natural hair doesn’t tangle so much, this light texturizer gave it a complete relaxed look, and to be honest I felt my hair was “fried” – even though the texturiser wasn’t even on for that long :). Well to cut the long story short, my hair is still quite long – mid back – and it’s all mine. The growth in the root it evident, the root is several inches now and more wavy than the mid to tip of the hair. Not quite sure what to do with it now. Constantly putting it in single plats / Camerooninan style cain row (whatever they call it). I am Nigerian, from the East, and without any trace of Asian or Caucasian parentage (as the author put it). Thankfully, I got my beautiful hair from my beautiful mum.

• Anon April 3, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Relaxer does not strengthen your hair. It weakens it. This has been proven by hair scientists. Bella naija didn’t quite get it right there.

• Butterfly April 3, 2012 at 12:29 PM

I know! When I saw strengthen beside relaxer used in the same sentence, this article just lost all it’s credibility for me

• jane April 4, 2012 at 7:01 AM

thank you o! relaxer does not strengthen your hair,it weakens it because it denatures the curl of your hair and strips the hair of its natural moisture.At least be straight about it. The way they The way they talked about it was just annoying, like our natural hair texture is bad,cannot grow long and needs to look ‘white’. I would have preferred it if they just said that women preferred their hair straight.There are also grammatical errors in the writeup ugh

• Esione ASAKOME November 15, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Nigerian Kinky and super kinky hair is gorgeous! Relaxer is so bad for our hair and its the number one hair killer! Relaxer has enough chemicals in it to melt plastics and strip the colour of boots! No! We should stop putting that in our hair! Please chek out my new blog on how to care for beautiful Nigerian Kinky hair! I have armpit length afro hair! I have just started a blog to document my journey! Join me @ http://beautifullynappy.wordpress.com/

• Berry Choco-Latté April 3, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I have a feeling she meant ‘straighten’

• Ayoka April 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I think the writer meant ‘straightening’ because I kept getting confused too while reading the article.

• ray January 30, 2013 at 1:47 PM

you are right

• Anon April 3, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Also the chica featured in the article has medium hair length. That is not long hair. Go on youtube and check out lots of chicks both natural and relaxed with mid back to waist hair length. Now that’s long!

• shanday April 3, 2012 at 12:09 PM

In my opinion, It’s not the length that matters, it’s how healthy the hair is. One can have really long hair yet it looks very stringy.

• Juliet April 3, 2012 at 12:10 PM

@Anon 11:57, I selected this from the write up “Relaxing loosens the hair’s natural curl pattern located inside the hair cortex, and once this curl pattern has been loosened, the hair becomes straight and the new structure cannot be reversed because the structure of the hair molecule has been reshaped. Reshaping the original molecular structure of any element weakens it, but if properly treated, that element can be made stronger in its new shape. Given that relaxing runs the risk of making the hair to be brittle and weak, hence tending to breakage, this problem can easily be avoided if the application is performed by an experienced and certified hair stylist.” I think you have to read and understand what you read before commenting.

• annie April 3, 2012 at 5:03 PM

You can’t discount that the writer DID also expressly say relaxer strengthens hair. If she made a mistake that’s fine. Say that. But she said it & that’s what the commenter is commenting on. Simples!

• Teris April 5, 2012 at 10:55 PM

boo-hoo!

• Blessing April 3, 2012 at 12:12 PM

That’s what’s up!

• Dupe April 3, 2012 at 12:16 PM

The title should have been “How an African girl can achieve a long hair”. Its quite an informative piece, and i think i’ll give it a try.

• dimma April 3, 2012 at 12:16 PM

ppl need to go on places like youtube to see brown girls with hair so long its crazy and the only thing they have that most of us don’t is a good hair regimen. i found out last year that everyone’s hair grows at the same rate irrespective of race the only thing that makes it different is the way it comes out. the crappy products we use here and the continuous styling that doesn’t let our hair breath is what makes it weak. we just need to learn the proper way to take care of our hair. the products our hair absolutely love are the very cheap organic ones that are locally produced here e.g shea butter, coconut oil and the rest.

• TmT April 4, 2012 at 8:26 AM

You can’t say hair grows at the same rate for all races. That’s is not true, you cannot compare the growth rate of indians to africans. Do ur research luv.

• Aosgrl April 12, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Actually she’s quite right. On average, human hair is expected to grow about 5 inches a year. Blacks in particular Africans are just horrible at maintaining and retaining length

• Triangle April 3, 2012 at 12:18 PM

My hair is longer than that. And from the pix u can clearly see the hair was flat ironed. I retouch every 12weeks and i insist it shud be applied at d base alone on the undergrowth. As such i’ve been able to maintain the black colour, even though i’ve been relaxing the hair from day 1, didnt start with Virgin hair. my hair is 10 yrs old nw, LOL, started in august of ’02.
      One thing i knw is u’re either blessed with long hair or not. My cousin has tried everything to grow her hair to no avail. And i knw those blessed with long hair that hv short hair nw cos of poor maintenance. Well, as india arie sang ‘I am not my hair’.

• Sugar April 3, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I had my hair in natural locs for 6 years and after I cut it off,my nightmare began. I started loosing my hair and people told me it’s normal since my hair is undergoing changes. This was two years ago and my hair is yet to be normal- it is not even neck lenght not to tak of shoulder. I started loosing my hair as it got thin and started falling off! I lost all my front hair which only started growing last month. I believe nigerian weather with chemicals and without the right kind of treatment is dangerous to hair! My hair is now coarse! Wish I didn’t cut off my locs. :(

• Ms Awesome April 3, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I hv a long hair n to tell u d truth its really difficult to maintain. I hv learnt dat d healthy way to get a healthy n longer hair is:
      1. Wash ur hair atleast once in 2 weeks (I knw ow we africans hate 4 our hair to get wet) reasons y we dnt love to swim.
      2. Moisturize it b4 u sleep den put on a cap(preferably a head warmer) or tie a scarf. Awesome result in d morning.
      3. Try n use less heat, cus excess heat brks d hair. Esp using a straightner….try n avoid using it, mayb only 4 special occasions.
      4.We all knw its easier to relax our hair dan to leave it as nappy black hair. But relax only wen ur hair is ‘due’ cus relaxer tends to break already relaxed hair n leech it of nutrints.
      5. Plait or braid ur hair as much as u can instead of fixing weavons n attachments.
      6. Try n leave ur hair to breathe. After removing weavons n other forms of hair attachments, leave ur hair all natural 4 a whyl so dat it gets to breathe.
      Lastly use gud relaxers, shampoos and hair contioners on ur hair to ensure good results. :)

• bunmi April 19, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Yea ure right!

• Kisses April 3, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I don’t think the article is talking about the girl in the picture. From what i read, it was trying to explain how an African living in the continent can have a long hair, assuming she prefers the oyibo kind of long hair. The regimen listed is actually how to maintain and grow a healthy hair. Simply put, clean off dirt and nourish your hair

• Soraya April 3, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I don’t understand why people have to take this complicated steps to keep and maintain their hair! I only perm my hair just once or twice a year and then spend the rest of the year looking after it- I wash my once a month, taking care to use pure natural shea butter to moisturise my hair every two or three days. My hair is much longer that what you see in the picture and even my hairdresser never ceases to be amaze by it. Relaxers are made using chemicals, which is why I restrict to only once or twice per year and believe me, it still looks relaxed!

• Cindy April 3, 2012 at 1:08 PM

All I’ve had are bad hair testimonials and that have left my hair in a bad shape. I don’t mind one of those vouchers, i think its high time i have a good hair testimonial……..and yes! i live in Lagos!

• Guest April 4, 2012 at 10:05 AM

You don’t need to pay for any Vouchers. The internet is your friend. There is a loads of information out there on how to take care of your hair on your own. I am a DIY kind of person. I have not been to a Hair Stylist to do my hair in more than 10 years and my hair is thriving. I’ve been relaxed and texlaxed and I’m now transitioning to natural hair. Check out Youtube! There are loads of clips with information out there.

• abimbola oki April 3, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I used to have a long,dark and beautiful hair but since i was pregnant with my first child, no relaxer has being able to relax my hair. Dandruff has been dealing with my hair so much that i can’t braid or do ghanaweaving because i will start scratching my hair after three days and will have to remove the braid. I have used all kinds of shampoos and creams. I’m thinking of barbing my hair to allow a new one grow because this dandruff is embarrassing.

• revivedafrikana April 3, 2012 at 1:40 PM

where is the long hair? I dont see it

• Bamz April 3, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Pls can somebody kindly explain this retouching only the base hair to me cos I’m always confused abt it. My hairdresser applies relaxer to my undergrowth hair but she still applies little relaxer to my hair above the undergrowth. I assume she does this to make the hair uniform (that is for all my hair to look relaxed & same). Is it wrong to apply relaxer to parts of the hair above the undergrowth?

• Guest April 4, 2012 at 10:10 AM

It is VERY wrong to apply Relaxer to any part of your hair besides the new growth. Relaxer should NOT be applied to your Scalp or already relaxed hair. Relaxer on your Scalp will lead to burns. While applying Relaxer to already relaxer hair will over-process the hair making it weak and leading to increased breakage. If your Stylists insists on applying Relaxer any other way then it may be time to find a new Stylists. Keep in mind that your are responsible for the health of your hair and not your Stylist. You are just another client to him/her.

• TmT April 4, 2012 at 10:33 AM

ahhhhhh, very wrong…*covering my face* even on the instructions for relaxing (usually found in the kit)it states that only new growth should be touched up. some relaxers now come with pre-relaxer treatments to protect the previously relaxed hair from being processed when ur relaxing your new growth. if ur ends are fluffy and damaged, u need to trim it off, no amount of relaxer will make it straight. ur only making it worse. hope this helps.

• clairebaby April 3, 2012 at 1:46 PM

@ Anon: I think there was a typo-error, the writer must have meant that relaxers ‘straighten’ your hair and not ‘strenghten’. Let’s criticize fairly people!

• Lolo April 3, 2012 at 1:56 PM

LMAO! Sorry, but that is NOT long hair. And relaxers do not strengthen hair, don’t fall for some marketing ploy people – look at the sponsors! Of course a relaxer manufacturer wants you to believe that relaxers are a miracle product. Relaxers chop your hair and break your edges!

I gave up relaxers 5 yrs ago, and my hair is in the middle of my back.

• minasek April 4, 2012 at 10:31 PM

You are so right; the author of this article should be ashame of defending the use of relaxers when it has been proven that they are very dangerous for us; Some research in the USA have link some high level of cancer among black women (thyroid, sinus) and fibroms particularly to their use; We should promote healthy natural african hair;

• Scarlet May 7, 2012 at 1:36 PM

pls Lolo how have u managed to keep ur natural hair for five yrs?I just started.

• Touch April 3, 2012 at 1:58 PM

My hair is so thick and silky. I get lots of compliments most times, but once they touch it, the sentiment goes the other way because the hair was just too stubborn. In an attempt to make my hair soft by all means, I sought people’s opinion on what to apply in order to improve the texture. That was how my mystery began, I tried so many relaxers and other hair products, but to my disappointment, my hair wasn’t soft a bit, rather it started breaking. I had to cut my hair by half and discontinued those products. I steam my hair once in 3 months with Cholesterol, honey, hot oil, coconut oil and Shea butter. My hair isn’t as soft as I want it to, but it’s better than what it used to be.

• creamy April 12, 2012 at 2:13 PM

You can try leave in conditioners,use it after every wash, also deep condition(steam)ur hair once every 4-6 weeks depends on ur schedule,u can also steam before weaving ur hair

• Kemi April 3, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Pls i nid help,mi hair crazy cut it 3yrs ago n it has been noting 2 write hme about,esp d bac,tried diffrent regimen 2 no avail.pls help

• sayoh April 3, 2012 at 2:29 PM

This article is spot on. Early last year, i took out my braids n realized my hair was light as cotton. Was almost depressed ‘cos i just started regrowing the hair in ’08 and had done all i could to ensure it remained bouncy and healthy(envy of friends) and i did my retouching 3 times a year, maintained same relaxer and same stylist but no show. Then my friend introduced me to the gentle touch hair institute and things have been better since then. My hair is not shoulder length yet (i still carry those dangerous braids and for long periods x_x ), but all the weak ends are gone and i feel proud carrying my hair natural. Was an awesome eye opener getting my hair done there as the stylist are courteous and seem to know what they are doing.

The major damager to hair is the unproffessinal relaxing we have at most road side salons. Please ensure you get a stylist who knows about hair, long hair really is not that hard to achieve!

• meku April 3, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Cant beleibe this girls hair is supposed to be long, what a cheek

• bee April 3, 2012 at 3:06 PM

To be honest, the article is not really informative, it is just another strategy to gain more customers/promote the products for Natures Gentle touch brand. There are so many great relaxers e.g Dr Miracles that would be good for your hair. All i kept seeing was Natures Gentle touch this, natures gentle touch that.Bias. If you want to find a good relaxer for yourself, go to google and look for reviews of annoymous people that have used it. I’m disappointed with this article. Bella you can do better. P.S, i own my opinion, so i expect my comment to be posted.

• Lora April 3, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Abeg! The lady in the pic is ovbiously wearing a weave. The hair is too straight, shiny with the ends ridiculously sharp. An effect you can only get with a weave. ‘Sides, if you look closely enough, you’ll see that the natural hair texture is different from the weave’s. We’re not all stupid you know!

• Guest April 4, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I don’t know if she is wearing a weave or not, but straight, shiny hair with healthy ends is mos def not somn that can be achieved by only wearing Weaves. One can achieve that look with real hair as well.

• Abi February 14, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Lora you are blind, can’t you see it is her hair of course you can’t cos you have never experienced long her have you? Mchew

• Nike April 3, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Am sorry but this article has not given us any new information on how to grow our hair.

@Touch, your contribution was more informative than the article itself

• U-cee April 3, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I really did enjoy this article. I do have a very long hair about 12-13inches but sadly it’s from one extension to the other. I hardly leave my hair longer than 2weeks before wearing one extension or the other. iI relax my hair every 14-16wks so the hair doesn’t go all weak and wimpy.I have never used Nature’s Gentle Touch but I sure would love to give it try.

• Adenuga Timileyin April 3, 2012 at 3:38 PM

i and my elder sister has a very long hair, we use Universal Basic(UB) regular relaxer . our always been strong and does not cut.

• Rabina April 7, 2012 at 4:53 PM

you mean, ‘My elder sister and I’???

• Alfie May 9, 2012 at 6:47 AM

She is speaking Nigerian English you see.

• Sugabelly April 3, 2012 at 3:51 PM

But WHY do people like to tell lies? Relaxer can NEVER strengthen your hair, only weaken it. This is a scientifically proven fact.

And if you want to grow long hair that is not likely to fall out of your head at the slightest provocation, the proven best method is to grown your own natural hair and avoid straightening it.

That a relaxer company should go about spreading this kind of dangerous misinformation all to sell relaxer is really irresponsible.

90% of Nigerian women have been relaxing their hair since childhood yet the hair of 85% NEVER grows longer than their shoulders. Proof that relaxer damages your hair, weakens it, makes it harder to grow and easier to break.

Nobody is forcing anybody to wear their natural hair. At the end of the day it’s your body so you are free to do what you like, but people shouldn’t go about telling lies like relaxer can help you grow your hair long or relaxers can strengthen your hair because that is 100% untrue.

• Chika Uwazie April 3, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Honeslty the problem is Nigeria does not have a culture of growing hair to retain leghnth. Whenever I come into Nigeria and go to places like down town salon I see how they take care of the hair and it is far from healthy. Ladies come in there relax their hair and then on the same day get a weave. When you freshly relax your hair you are suppose to give it a break .I honestly think Nigerians should step away from relaxes. After watching good hair and seeing that rlex can burn a hole in a can I knew there was nothing good that comes out of it. Nigerians tend to not keep up with a regimen that supports growth with relaxed hair and therefore hair will never grow past the shoulders. I am waiting for the day when a Nigerian girl on youtube talks about the proper maintenance of hair. I wish I could but time is not on my side sha lol

Also those that decide to go natural there are barely any products to help maintain that lifestyle. People must realize that regardless if you are natural or relaxed you have to have a regimen that takes care of your hair. Any shampoo with sulfate (which is 90% of Nigerian products) should not be used to wash the hair. We also have to be mindful of our protective style especially because the heat in Nigeria. Sometimes wearing your hair out all the time can be damaging because the ends are being exposed. I think Bella Naija should start posting articles about hair maintenance in order to create a culture that cares about taking care of ones hair

• Guest April 4, 2012 at 10:18 AM

My Long Hair Journey, Loveyourtresses, Natural Nigerian, O’Naturals, Screwy Haired Girl, Kinky Apothecary, Leave in the Kinks. These are just a couple of Nigerian ladies based in Nigeria and the UK with Blogs on maintaining healthy hair.

• Naija hair can grow April 7, 2012 at 10:59 PM

China, that day has come, lol, pls check out my blog http://www.naijahaircangrow.blogspot.com I have tips and advice on growing Naija hair, I also have a few YouTube videos

• Halyma Isa January 20, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Umm, there is a nigerian girl on youtube with waist length relaxed hair! youtube.com/lushstrands.

• bettyB April 3, 2012 at 4:02 PM

This isn’t a feature article its a cleverly concealed promotion for Nature’s gentle touch. This article is misleading and onesided.
      What is this statement supposed to mean “Does she want her hair natural and African, or does she want it natural and Asian/Caucasian?”
      I have a sneaky feeling this article was not written by Bella Naija, there are some many issues with this article i have no idea where to start.

• BellaNaija.com April 3, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Thanks for your comment. The article was written by a hair professional employed by Natures Gentle Touch.

BN made no attempt to hide this as is evidence by the NGT Author’s blurb at the end of the article.

The article is not paid for and is not an advert. In line with our BN ethics statement, all sponsored articles are clearly labelled as “Sponsored Content”

As they are the authors, there is obviously a natural bias towards NGT.

However, the BN team published the article because we believe it contains relevant information for our BN audience. We are also using the opportunity to give away hair treatments and products which will be beneficial to BN readers.

• bettyB April 3, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Thanks for your reply BN. Unless i have missed it, there nothing written to identify this as Sponsored comment. Hence my comment as in the past you have always clearly written this at the end of articles.

• BellaNaija.com April 3, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Thanks! it’s not sponsored content as it was not paid for. We will update “posted by” from BellaNaija.com to NGT to avoid any confusion. Thanks!

• pynk April 3, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Ok Ok lets redo this. Bella lets post.
      1) nobody ever said black women couldnt grow hair, but many Nigerian women are major hair abusers. Go to a salon on a saturday morning, u can count the people doing their own hair, meaning tensionless hairstyles. Most people are busy braiding, getting weaves and outright wigs.
      2) when they braid ur hair for a weave, that stuff is ridiculously tight so u can carry it for a month. Ehm nooooo. Hair should be washed a minimum of weekly, its like saying u dont wanna bathe daily but expect not to get craw craw, for hair to be healthy, the saclp and the hair should be clean. You get on elevators, and u can smell womens weaves that they have refused to wash
      3) weaves create tension around the hairline – many women under the age of 30 have dissapearing hairline. Tight braids for the weaves, heavy braids, heavy weaves ( while the 25 inches of brazillian hair looks sexy, it is load)
      4) the cheaper the products, sometimes the more effective. I use to go gaga over patene prov for colored women, mizani etc in Yankee. I got to Nigeria, realised my hair wasnt doing so good, switched to using natural shea butter on my wet hair and applying emily millionaire all natural hair cream and i was in heaven.
      5) relaxer – lets face it, many of us would have gone to hell and come back without relaxers. I am mixed and i find it very difficult and nerve racking to comb my hair by the 2nd month of being relaxer free. with BSL thats like and extra 20 or so mins to get ready. I no do. I will stick to my relaxer schedule of every 3 to 4 months maximum.
      6) The chick in the picture doesnt have long hair. Its barely BSL, its when it gets to MBL and WL that it becomes long. thats just average.

Ladies let us remember that hair care is different from hairstyle. Many women seem to be great @ hair styling and miss out on the hair care.
      Also get ur daily water intake to help ur skin and hair.

• Mimi April 3, 2012 at 5:41 PM

I have to say that, where this woman’s hair looks shiny and healthy, it’s not very long… I think African women/women of African descent/Black women would prefer to see/know how to grow their hair more than a couple inches PAST their shoulder to down their backs.

I’ve seen very few African/Black women with hair that long, some of them are my cousins, mother, aunt, and girls/women I meet here and their. I think there’s a practice/lifestyle when it comes to healthy, long growing hair, the same as losing weight… There really is no magic potion to growing hair I guess. But if someone finds it, let everyone know lol

• Mimi April 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM

My personal hair story is that my hair is yet to grow past my shoulders :(
      I’ve always had fine aka thin hair, I guess it’s just natural for me. My cousins, when I went to secondary school in Nigeria, teased me of having hair like our grandma: there are symmetrical patches on the edges of my temple that just don’t grown as full as the rest of my hair. I’ve cut my hair in hopes of growing it back healthier. That worked for a while, until it started getting damaged again. There was even a period two years ago when I ate lots of eggs, so the protein went to my hair, naturally. Now, I’m struggling to figure out how to get my hair to be healthy. Although I still wear weaves, I’ve bought natural shampoos, I’ve been using Organic Root Stimulator products for some years now, I’ve even just about “limited” my perms to twice a year, and bought hair, skin nails pills and biotin. Hopefully it works. I could use all the help I can get.

• Sugabelly April 3, 2012 at 10:46 PM

You want to know how to grow your hair past your shoulders, down your back and possibly to your waist?

Cut off all your relaxed hair and grow your own natural hair.

That’s all.

• Makema April 4, 2012 at 5:27 AM

Naija women will never get that simple fact: RELAXERS F&^* UR HAIR UP AND WELL CARED FOR NATURAL HAIR HAS THE BEST POTENTIAL FOR HAIR GROWTH AND HEALTH. Simple!

• LS April 4, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I beg to differ, there are several women who have relaxed mid-back or waist lenght hair. I aggree that relaxed hair has been compromised and is not as strong as natural hair, however both relaxed and natural hair need a healthy hair regimen to thrive. People should be given all the options open to them from which they make informed choices rather than being given just “your” option. I am a lover of natural hair however my own hair is relaxed and falls below my bra-strap. I “choose” to relax but I hard and take very good care of my hair.

• Naija hair can grow April 7, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Mimi, You should have applied the eggs directly to your hair in a protein treatment, pls check out my blog http://www.naijahaircangrow.blogspot.com I have tips and advice on growing back your hair :)

• rogotigi April 3, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Thanks for this post, very useful.
      My hair has always been long right from childhood. I enjoyed the compliments but hated having to weave it(it took hours thanks to its fullness and length). As I grew older, it grew longer and fuller
      I’ve been living with dandruff since I can remember, tried various methods to cure it but it won’t go!!! Isit herbal treatments, camphor+engine oil *covers face*? what have I not tried?. I dread going to salons because I know the stylists would keep prescribing orisirisi for the dandruff.
      Presently, I’m using anti-dandruff shampoo and herbal hair cream hoping the dandruff would disappear :D
      In a subtle way, I think the dandruff even helps my hair growth.hehehe

• jane April 4, 2012 at 7:07 AM

I had the same problem for the longest time that hair stylists didnt want to touch my hair.My pharmacist said to use anti fungal shampoo because it is an excess of fungus(on our scalp) that causes the dandruff to increase faster than normal like other people. I have been using it and i havent looked back since. Afterwards i just use normal conditioner. Also try and use less oil on the scalp and only on your actual hair. Hope it helps you as much as it helped me! :)

• FBN May 11, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I watched this youtoube video of these 2 black girls in America or the UK where 1 of them said she had really bad dandruff then she started applying olive oil to her scalp as soon as she washed it and that cured her of her dandruff.

• Biola Fashanu April 3, 2012 at 7:18 PM

I’ve always had scanty hair, coupled with the fact that I ve extremely thinning hair at my temple region. I decided to go natural about a year ago and I cut my hair, I’m still learning when it comes to taking care of my hair, and I honestly don’t think d thinning front region has grown to what I had expected, but I know I enjoy running my. Hands through my natural fluffy hair, its grown to about 6 inches in a year, I mostly put it up in a bun, but I’d really love to be able to style it one day and rock my afro.

• myHairmyBeauty April 23, 2012 at 11:43 PM

You need a protein treatment! do you deep condition your hair?

myHairmyBeauty.wordpress.com

• molly April 3, 2012 at 9:06 PM

PLEASE, NOT EVERYONE CAN HAVE LONG HAIR. You might as well say everyone should end up with the same length of hair if they take care of it the same way. I know people who barely take care of their hair and still have very long hair, while some of us can never have long hair no matter how hard we try. We can only make sure the short hair we have is as healthy as it can possibly be. I come from a long line of women with terrible hair who have tried their best to make it grow, so trust me, I know what i’m saying.

• Sugabelly April 3, 2012 at 10:48 PM

This is not true.

EVERYBODY can grow long hair.

Well, maybe among people who relax their hair only a few can grow long hair, but every Nigerian growing their own natural hair and not straightening it or using heat on it and taking care of it properly can grow their natural hair down to at least their butt.

• Tbg April 4, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Why are we not ashamed of the fact that African women, this day and age, proudly and publicly state that they want Asian/Caucasian hair?

• Ready April 4, 2012 at 4:22 AM

You know, after reading this article a couple of times, I think it was mis-titled. Although it does give general good tips about caring for hair, it does so from the standpoint of Recare’s product which includes relaxer. Seems like they’re shilling how to maintain relaxed hair using an NGT routine..from a business standpoint, one can’t be mad at that.
      Some ppl argued that we can’t all have long hair, I beg to differ. Trust, your hair is growing. If you have to shave other body parts, the hair on your head is growing too. RETAINING that length is the issue for many. I’ve been natural, relaxed, natural and relaxed again, and the only time my hair was breaking and/or had dandruff was when I wasn’t drinking enough water and conditioning enough.
      Granted, some people have fuller hair than others, and some’s growth rate is faster than others’, but know that your hair is growing. You just gotta find the right treatment for it.
      Hair is basically protein…try to eat right and get your vitamins in for natural sheen, don’t wash with sulphate shampoos (condition only weekly is what I do and then I shampoo like once a month–gets it clean too), shea butter/coconut oil/virgin olive oil is your friend, and try to keep your ends and edges protected. Also, do not overbrush/overcomb. If long hair is your desire, know that there’s too many Africans walking around with long healthy hair for us to continue to buy the ridiculous notion that long hair is a Euro thing.

• Ready April 4, 2012 at 4:46 AM

Also, I’m a fan of DIY unless I absolutely have to go to the salon ’cause returning to Nigeria, I was faced with the usual sheisty bottles of shampoo and conditioner. Like “what the deuce are you putting in my hair?” So now when I have to go to the salon, I carry my products, my big comb, and I’m very active in the process. That’s enough oil please, reduce the heat on the flat iron please, etc. Call me oyinbo all you want, I have to live with and love my hair.
        Also, ladies, heat is not your friend…if the room smells like burning stuff/melting metal, the tool is too hot. The dryer is alright, but between blowdrying, and straightening the hair you leave out of your weave for the “natural” weave look, that’s a lot of heat.

• pynk April 4, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Rule # one take ur own stuff to the salon. And you instruct them on how to do ur hair. Never fails.

• LS April 4, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Perfectly said…Retention is the issue my sister

• TmT April 4, 2012 at 8:28 AM

You can’t say hair grows at the same rate for all races. That’s not true, you cannot compare the growth rate of indians to africans. Do ur research luv.

• TmT April 4, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Well, I had dry,dyed, ear length hair a couple of years ago and I was fed up of having to deal with breaking hair and scalp issues. My sister was about to oil my scalp one day after I washed it and her comment was “OMG your scalp looks like camouflage” I was horrified at the state of my unending issues and dreaming of the long hair I hoped to achieve one day until my friend gave me advice I will never forget “just like losing weight, long healthy hair requires a lifestyle change”. Since then I sacrificed my time, even some study time to do research on haircare (youtube is a gold mine) and other luxuries(shopping) to invest in tools, scarves, and basic products I would need to care for my hair and nurture it as it grows. Today I have healthy hair below my shoulders that moves in the wind and I’m very proud of my achievement. I also have pictures to prove it. So my African sisters and diva’s…long hair is achievable, don’t give up. *swinging my hair from side to side* Wink.

• Becca April 4, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Ok! I’ve know about Natures Gentle Touch and i can testify that they are very good in what they do. So i’ll to analyse some parts of this article and see what they were actually talking about;

1. “Long hair is not only the preserve of the “Non-Africans”. Yes we know that their hair texture is usually straight and it’s thought to grow longer, while the African hair texture has this corkscrew shape that grows in rings. One fact about all hair types is that it grows. Understanding the chemistry of hair growth and grooming it is the key factor in achieving a long hair both for people of all races”……This is an encouragement that everyone can grow a long hair including Africans

2. “For the African hair type that grows in corkscrew rings, it kind of stands when it is achieving length unlike the Asian or Caucasian hair type which is straight and wavy and falls when it is growing. So at the same length, you will see the African hair appearing full in an Afro style while the Asian or Caucasian hair looks long and falls down the shoulder. At this stage it becomes a question of choice for the African woman. Does she want her hair natural and African, or does she want it natural and Asian/Caucasian?”…………an information that we’ll need to know that our hair does grow. For those of us who appreciate our natural hair, here’s a confirmation.

3.” Sadly looking at what is trending amongst African women, it can be noticed that the preference for Asian/Caucasian hair type/style is higher when we look at it from the perspective of the number of women who use hair extensions frequently and those who wear the natural afro hairstyle.”……….sad but true.

4. “But one underlying yearning for some of these women is the wish that the hairpiece they are fixing is their natural hair. So the task at hand is to show those women who prefer the Asian/Caucasian hairstyle, how to achieve it with their own natural hair.”……..Now they are addressing those ladies who want to look oyinbo with their own natural hair. This is where the process of relaxing comes in!

5. “In strengthening the hair, the process of hair relaxing is used. Relaxing loosens the hair’s natural curl pattern located inside the hair cortex, and once this curl pattern has been loosened, the hair becomes straight and the new structure cannot be reversed because the structure of the hair molecule has been reshaped. Reshaping the original molecular structure of any element weakens it…”……………….so how can we not notice that there’s a typo error here. Me thinks that the author meant “straightening” not “strengthening” cos its written there that reshaping the original molecular structure of any element weakens it….

I think we should really look at the tips offered in this article if you do relax your hair once in a while. All you just have to do is replace the word “strengthen” with “straighten” whenever you come across it in the article.

• Guest April 4, 2012 at 10:01 AM

People really need to stop blaming outside factors such as the weather for their damaged hair.
      Get a health hair regimen people!!! Regardless of what the weather is or where you live your hair will thrive with a healthy hair regimen in place.

• ags April 5, 2012 at 12:52 AM

my hair is far longer than that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Temi April 5, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Ever tried black soap as shampoo? Wonderful conditioning action. Then hair smootgies as deep conditioning treatments are a dream. Along with your shower cap for a natural steam. Ingredients for your hair smoothie will vary on the intent of the treatment; moisturising? Clarifying? Nutrifying? Then finally, consult with the internet. For goodness’ sake, put it to good use. That being said, your hair, not your weave; is your crowning glory. *flips hair*

• kimbim April 18, 2012 at 7:18 PM

temi you need to own a blog! lurv ur tutorials. i bet will follow you :-)

• Adesuwa Ero-Garrick April 6, 2012 at 11:16 AM

In science, when you make a statement of fact, you back it up with references. Such references could be results of studies done on a particular topic. For example… carrying out a validated scientific research comparing the strength of relaxed versus kinky hair.
      I would be very grateful, and I think I speak for thousands of black women with kinky hair, if the writer of this piece would please quote her source when she says that ‘In strengthening the hair, the process of hair relaxing is used’. This statement is complete bullshit. I am not apologising for my language! On second thought, I will probably apologise if she shows me her reference.

• mary April 7, 2012 at 2:10 PM

my hair is a mess its dry and thin…..my problem is i long to change my look very often so i play with weaves alot as a result i have lost all my temple hair …i am soo worried pls help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• BeautyFULL April 7, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I’ve gone natural and I love it!My hair has grown long in 5 months its unbelievable.styling can be a drag but its such a good feeling

• Natures Gentle Touch April 11, 2012 at 11:37 AM

We will like to make a correction on the article that you’ve just read. Where we used “strengthen”, we meant to use “straighten”. It was a typo error and we’ll like to apologize to everyone who might have read it as such. Every other information we provided in the article is valid. We have been involved in hair and scalp care for 17years and since then, we have engaged in so many researches and developments in African hair and scalp care to place us in a good stead to advice and recommend on this issue. We still are the only African hair care brand to establish a training and research institute to educate on as well as study the African hair.

Our goal has always and will always be to educate and equip individuals with the knowledge they need to make informed choices when it comes to their hair and scalp.

We acknowledge all criticisms, which to us proves that Africans are equipping themselves with the knowledge required for an overall healthy lifestyle. But while you criticize, we will implore you to re-read the article once more and replace the word “strengthen” with “straighten”. Maybe you will take a few tips out of it.

Before we forget, there are FREE HAIR THERAPY VOUCHERS which will be given out to some of you to experience the hair and scalp care of Natures Gentle Touch.

• Bex April 11, 2012 at 2:42 PM

I love my weaves and like to play with different styles and textures. As much as I applaud the people that have decided to go au naturel, I think great hair (whether natural or relaxed) is all about finding out what works for you and following a good regimen. You can have natural hair and still have problems if you don’t care for it properly and one thing I know is that natural hair takes time and effort to maintain. I’m neither ‘team natural’ nor ‘team relaxed’ . I had really bad hair before I left Nigeria for Uni. Being a student I couldn’t afford to shell out £30 for washing and setting so I decided to do DIY. My hair started growing once I started taking care of it myself. No more splits, breakages or brittleness. My hair is quite black and falls just below my collarbone. I wash my hair every 2 weeks with keracare shampoo and conditioner and oil my scalp with Keracare essential oils. I also moisturise my hair with DooGrooTriple Strength anti-breakage growth lotion which has done wonders for my hair. Relaxing is done 3 or 4 times a year with Affirm relaxer. Well that’s my own regimen sha. I will defo try using Sheabutter and Coconut oil.

• huh? April 13, 2012 at 5:17 PM

How is the girl in the pic long?????????

• iamfascinating April 14, 2012 at 1:31 PM

healthy hair rocks not necessarily long.

http://www.thestunninglady.blogspot.com. Order now!

• Godsty April 14, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I have short and ful hair, it refuse to get long;(

• mai April 17, 2012 at 12:36 PM

i’m full nigerian and i have really long hair, it touches my elbow. I dnt fix my hair, i wash it every 5 days, i retouch every 4months and its very healthy. My whole family has too even the boys. Having short hair or no hair is just from not taking care of it. And not all white people have long hair.

• kimbim April 18, 2012 at 7:15 PM

loads of interesting comments :-)
      got afro on mii hair, vowed! will neva apply relaxers no more, been keeping my natural hair for more than ten years now, proud to say they are gawjuss,tho they hurt so bad but i love the pain. must say my hair is longer than this picture, i bet when am tired will consider a low cut instead of relaxers :-)

• CiniLana April 20, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Really impressed with all the personal blogs on naija hair care. Less impressed with the title of the article. It’s hard enough we’re so disunited as Black people (because that is what you are to anyone who is not Black), that I ask, why create yet another division in an area where we need more unity, where we are just beginning to spread this message across the planet; That is – love for natural African descent hair is beautiful. Be that West African, Afro-Carribean, African-Brit, African-American, Australian-Aborigne, Papau New Guinea, etc…..yes we are all different shades, culture, hues; but the hair that comes out of our African heads for the most part, comes out the exact same way….and that is not long and silky, unlike the world’s largest importer of weave (Nigeria) would have you believe. But I realize this is another jab at Nigerians trying to make a distinction at how much better they are than African-Americans …..thus the “African Long Hair” (a copy from the website Black Girl Long Hair >>http://blackgirllonghair.com/). Though we copy just about everything they do, good and bad.

Or hopefully I’m totally wrong about another Nigerian trying to prove how they’re so much better than other Black/Africans on the planet…yeah, I’m probably wrong. Too bad we can’t get our country in order. That would probably prove to everyone were better.

• Motherof3 April 23, 2012 at 4:37 AM

I’m surprised to hear that the author of this article is actually a hair care professional.

First of all… what is wrong with short hair? Absolutely nothing. Short hair is good, long hair is good. Its just hair.

Second of all … we of African descent are not monolithic when it comes to hair. My sister (same mom, same dad) has a different hair type than I do.

Your hair type WILL determine how long your hair grows and how it reflects light.

I don’t feel like going in any deeper. But I would recommend people who are really interested in understanding their hair to read Andre’s book. Sorry.. don’t know his last name. But he was Oprah’s hair stylist for years and years. He explains the 4 common hair types amongst people of African descent very well.

Also.. I recommend nappturality.com. A website devoted to natural hair.

My hair is short 3/4 inch. I’m a very low maintenance girl. I don’t have the money for weave/braiding etc. Nor do I have the tolerance for pain.

• meni April 27, 2012 at 6:45 AM

YOU GUYS NEED TO GO DO MORE SEARCH THERE ARE SO MANY LADIES WHOSE HAIR ARE LONGER THAN THIS…….

• joan Akpurhie May 4, 2012 at 5:51 PM

My hair is longer dan dat.I should win d prize

• Lola May 5, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Look this blog http://www.blackbeautybag.com/, this girl is senegalese-malian by his father and nigerian by this mother and she has very long afro hair

• funmi May 8, 2012 at 4:53 PM

what? that is not long hair.. my hair touches my bra strap

• Alfie May 9, 2012 at 6:43 AM

I am getting tired of seeing Black women with these silly “brazillian” or “mongolian” weaves. its the biggest cop out that i know….next to bleaching.. I cant wait for the fad to blow over.

it is even more annoying when some women overdo it and have these ridiculous thing all the way down their backs.

Excuses could be made for lighter shinned women with thinner features ( though, I am equally appalled too), but to see sincerely dark Black women with full African features putting thes weaves on is just stomach turning…I put it down to insipid laziness and colonial mentality.

• FBN May 11, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Not necessarily. I have shoulder-length natural kinky hair, which I’ve maintained for the last 12 years without relaxers and I still wear weaves from time to time, not because I want to look white but because I just regard it as another hair style option when I want to give myself a break from doing my hair every couple of days or when I get really busy on a project. If was suffering from colonial mentality, I wouldn’t rock my natural hair and definitely wouldn’t have kept it for 12 years – I’d have permed it long ago or been hot-combing it, something else I haven’t done in 11 years.

• TLo May 23, 2012 at 4:18 PM

In this day and age when more and more Nigerian people; in Naija and abroad, are moving away from relaxers and embracing their natural hair, I see this piece about how relexers strenghten hair? Dissapointing. Please do your research and keep up with the times. Besides, I wouldn’t say the girl in the pic has “long” hair. Her hair is average length abeg. Again do your research, and bring us some real info. I could direct you to quite a few Africans who were “born and bred in the continent without any trace of Asian or Caucasian parentage” who have hair WAY past their shoulders. Myself included. Thanks.

• Miss Ashanii May 29, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I started taking care of my relaxed hair last year,because I was tired of having dry,brittle hair,just 4 months into my hair care regime my hair totally transformed from lifeless limp shoulder length hair into a thick luscious relaxed hair,about a month after my last relaxer my I decided to go natural….im so amazed at the rate my hair is going,I cant wait to cut off the relaxed ends next year….Natural hair is beautiful
      check out my blog for more details on my hair journey
      missashanii.wordpress.com

• Chinedu June 14, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I just had to share, that I tried the best skin product in my life. Im not trying to advertise, you can try it and see it with your own eyes. It is called light and fresh skincare. apparently it whitens skin to any extent. I got my stretch marks removed, and it removed my melasma.
      the website is called http://www.lightandfreshskincare.com I think

• Jennifer August 23, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Your hair is not that long.

• Grace September 4, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Pls ma hair is just too light, soft and scanty…d front especially my hair sides is a hugh mess. My siblings n some ppl often say it luks lik an old womans hair. Am only 21 n my hair has eatn up so bad i ve to cover it to avoid mockery….do i nid to cut it n start all over or is der any remeady? Please, u all ve to help me. I feel terrible

• Fabulous Babe September 6, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Hello Grace,

Cut it off and go all natural, stay far away from the relaxers.
        Also make sure when u braid ur hair, the edges are not tightly braided ,what am I saying?? All the braids should not be tight. The same rule applies for weavon.

Invest in sulfate free shampoos and natural conditioners.
        Try to wash your hair at least once a week, even when u have braids on.
        Do a deep conditioning treatment at least once a week, alternate between a protein and moisturising treatment every two weeks.
        Reduce the heat used from hair dryers, hand dryers, straighteners, hot combs and tonging irons.
        Avoid excessive combing and brushing, use your fingers to smooth and comb your hair
        Since it seems you have light hair, u can soften it by using coconut milk, yoghurt, shea butter, aloe vera, avocados and coconut oil

You can visit my hair blog at gethairlength.blogspot.com

• Stella April 11, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Love your progress! I love my hair being straight …. and now I desire to grow it long. All i have been doing for the past 6 months is the “dos”and all I have not been doing are the “don’ts”and in 6 months, i have grown my neck length hair to shoulder length…and journeying on to waist length. All one needs is a “Hair Bible”……i update my faithfullness to mine on my blog ghlonghair.blogspot.com and on GHlonghair on facebook!!

• Benni December 3, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Hey. I live in South Africa. This lady was just trying to show how 101% African can grow hair longer even in Hot deserty conditions . Lol. Don’t bit her head off.