Posted on Monday, April 30th, 2012 at 2:44 PM

By Nuella Iyoha

Twelve years ago, Edoro Abebe (CEO Vanilla Restaurant & Lounge Abuja) would never have guessed that he would end up in the kitchen and love it too! He speaks to Nuella Iyoha in this interview on his journey from loving good food to making it a business.

I remember the first time I ate at Vanilla Restaurant four years ago. It was a scorching, typical day in Abuja and my friend Nanwor Wuyep and I were desperate for something new. Residents of “The Buj” (as we fondly call it) are not kindly disposed to the mundane, we seek out the latest thing – restaurants, salons, clubs—like Londoners look for sun.
We had heard of Vanilla from one of Nanwor’s older brother’s friends, and as he was a very dashing, young man, we figured “wherever he was hanging at, we wanted to hang there!” I will never forget my first impression of the restaurant, the interior was cool. If you live in Abuja you know how important this is. Ambience was great and the food – pasta with prawns in cream sauce – was dreamy. Four years later, Vanilla is still as synonymous to Abuja as Transcorp Hilton is. As I polish off my Apple crumble pie at the restaurant’s new Maitama location, I make a mental note to corner Mr Abebe for a recipe. And while our chat didn’t yield any secret ingredients, it did make for an insightful interview.

This we want to know, can you cook?
Yes of course!

When did you start cooking?
I remember I used to help my mom make pancakes when I was little, I must have been about 9 years old. Those times are my earliest food-related memories.

When did you begin your culinary career?
My venture into the world of cuisine as a career started four years ago with the conceptualization of Vanilla. I didn’t go to culinary school, everything I know is self-taught.

No culinary school?
No! I worked in IT for about 8 years, after my B.Sc in Computer Science and an MBA from the University of Wales, Cardiff, I worked at IBM for three years. Mysis Computers for another two years before moving back to Nigeria. One day I just woke up and decided I would open a restaurant. I liked eating and I was tired of going to restaurants in Abuja and paying good money for food I didn’t love. So when the opportunity presented itself for me to open a restaurant, I told myself “Why not!” and grabbed it.

What reaction did you get from friends and family?
My friends were actually very supportive. Maybe they figured they could always drop in and score free food (Laughs). And my family was great about it too. In fact the start-up funding was from my own savings and the family chipped in too.

How did you obtain funding to set up the new location?
Majority of the funding was by the Bank of Industry.

Did you have a structured business plan when you started the restaurant?
I did, but the realities of the business quickly made it obsolete. But it is always a good thing to have a business plan when starting a new project, as it helps to keep you focused on your objectives.

When was the restaurant opened and why the name?
We opened in February 2008. The name ‘Vanilla’ just reminded me of food.

What was the main idea behind Vanilla?
I wanted basically, a place where I could make food I could eat, that’s it. Sometimes you go to some restaurants in Abuja or Lagos or anywhere and their menus are very similar, same basic fare, no imagination! I wanted my own distinct menu filled with tried and tested recipes I knew tasted great.

How did you know you were ready to be a restaurateur?
I was never ready for this. The old location for Vanilla, I got a good deal on. So I decided to take the leap and go ahead to start a restaurant. It was more of a “let me just try it and see”. In fact, three months before we launched, the restaurant wasn’t ready. It was just a leap of faith, it could have gone either way. But it worked. And four years later here we are.

What was your greatest challenge in opening the restaurant?
Recruitment. Your staff can make or break your business – how well they carry out their responsibilities, how they treat customers. It is very important to get people that have a good enough level of passion for your vision and want to see your business succeed.

Who are some of your business mentors and what have you learned from them?
I don’t have any mentors per se. I learn something new every day; from my family, my uncles, my parents’ friends, even my own friends I do business with. I take as much as I can from everybody.

Would you call your restaurant’s concept chef-driven?
I definitely would. Most restaurants in this city aren’t chef-owned. It’s rare to even find that in Nigeria. The restaurant is usually owned by a businessman and he/she hires a chef who does the cooking. It’s more of a business thing.
Vanilla is chef-driven, that’s our unique point. It’s owner-driven and fortunately the owner is a chef. The owner is in the kitchen. The owner knows exactly what he wants; the quality and standard I’m going to demand from my kitchen is higher than someone who doesn’t know his way around the kitchen would.

How much of the food preparation process are you a part of?
When we started, I was about 90 percent involved in the kitchen, now, not that much. The recipes in the Vanilla menu are all mine. So what I do now is just teach my chefs the processes and I supervise.

From Ofada Rice to Jamaican Jerk Chicken to Oreo Mudslide cocktails, your menu is very diverse. How would you describe Vanilla’s offerings? How did you decide on the menu, what food to include or not?
The food at Vanilla, we describe as local food with a world accent. I looked at the market, what do Nigerians want or like to eat and what do I want to eat? The menu is constantly evolving, we had some things we took off the menu after two months because it never got ordered. So it’s dynamic.

What to you is “Good Food”?
Good food is food that tastes right. Its well seasoned, well cooked, just the way it should be. You can give me fried eggs and it can either be nasty or absolutely fantastic. As long as it’s cooked properly, it’s good food to me.

What makes a good customer?
A good customer is someone who would tell me exactly what the experience was like when he/she finishes eating. When customers have only good things to say, I like it, of course. But I don’t mind when a dissatisfied customer calls me to make a complaint, it helps us improve if we get honest feedback.

What makes a good chef?
A good chef is someone who can recognize his kitchen, he doesn’t really need to cook, as long as he can organise his team. Someone who can have three or six dishes efficiently going at any one point, that makes a good chef.

How do you inspire and retain your employees?
In Nigeria of course it’s financial rewards. As long as they do what they are meant to do, you owe them loyalty, and guarantee them a job for as long as the business is open. They do their work, business stays open.

What is your tip for running a successful restaurant?
Be involved. You cannot own a restaurant and give it to a manager or chef to run for you. I’ve had Vanilla for four years and I’ve had my head chef for about three of those years. And no matter how much I trust in his capabilities, I still don’t feel a hundred percent comfortable leaving him alone in that kitchen for 48hrs (Laughs). Sometimes of course it’s necessary, but I’m always on the phone with him, asking what’s going on. So to own a restaurant, you have to be involved.

What is your most valuable experience so far?
Every day is an experience. Biggest lesson learned – definitely how to run a business. When you want to start any venture, people will give you all sorts of advice. But when you are in the thick of it, all that flies out the window and ultimately you learn on the job.

You left IT to be a restaurateur full-time, how has the transition been so far for you?
The transition has not been too difficult, cooking is writing software – what you put in is what you get out (in terms of quality) and running a restaurant is all about planning and covering all the necessary corners. So I think I adapted nicely.

What’s a regular day for you like?
A regular day—what’s that? (Grimaces) Honestly, I’ve not had a regular day since we moved to the new location.

Who does the cooking at home then – Chef or Mrs. Chef?
(Laughs) My wife does.

How do you balance the rigor of owning (and being very involved) with the running of Vanilla with your family life?
I try to be home every evening and I always keep sundays free for family.

Do you watch MasterChef?
I don’t! I’m more into Gordon Ramsey’s Kitchen Nightmares, I learn from the show how not to run a restaurant. I don’t believe in cooking competitions.

Oh well, you’re going to wish you did because I have an instant challenge for you!
(Laughs)

So your mystery ingredients are Plantain, suya…Suya? Yes! Corn— Corn on the cob or sweet corn? Any of them— and a coconut. So what’s on the menu?
Wow. I’ll make plantain cakes, mash the plantain, grate the coconut in, make a batter and deep fry it. I’ll make a fresh greens salad with the corn – like a Caesar salad but with shredded suya instead of chicken. Ugh. (laughs) Couldn’t you have given me better ingredients?

Nope!

Finally, what’s your advice for other entrepreneurs attempting to grow their businesses?
Always bank all income from the business. Never pay in cash pay in cheques instead, that way your bank has a good idea of the cash flow of your business and how healthy it is. And more importantly, understand that no one can take care of your business as well as you do.

Inside Vanilla Restaurant & Lounge

Nemi Aweriokuma

Ada Campbell

Harry & Tata Yunisa with Tunde Adeboye

Fatima Garba (M)

Mustapha Radda, Mimi Musa, Ibrahim Aliyu & Farida Adamu

Photo Credit: Atta ‘Cannon’ Switch
__________________________________________________________________________________________

BellaNaija.com in conjunction with Vanilla Restaurant & Lounge, are giving a lucky BN reader an opportunity to win a lunch for two at the restaurant. To savour Vanilla’s Culinary experience, answer this question – How many years has Vanilla been in business?
Answers should be submitted in the comment section below. This competition is open to Abuja residents only.

Vanilla Restaurant & Lounge
Location –  28 Pope John Paul II Street, Off Gana Street, Maitama, Abuja
Telephone Number – 08104545070 | 07057351719
BB Pin 283C77B7
E-mail info@vanilla-abuja.com
Follow them on Twitter @vanilla_abuja
Official Websitewww.Vanilla-Abuja.com

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , ,

• Custom Search
  • 65 Comments on “The Accidental Chef Edoro Abebe shares the “Vanilla” Story! He Crossed Over from the IT World with a Dream, Now He’s Rocking the Abuja Food Scene”

Comments
    • LPS April 30, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I must visit when am around. Fab!!!

• yvonne April 30, 2012 at 3:03 PM

4 years

• Louisa E April 30, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Lovely article. Vanilla has been open for 4 years.

• minasek April 30, 2012 at 3:10 PM

lOVE THE PICTURE WITH THE DOLPHIN. i WISH HIM WELL.

• TA April 30, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Great! As a confirmed foodie,i am going to visit Vanilla bar next time am in Abuja.
      Why is the competition open to Abuja residents only?!!! Not fair at all:-(

• abimbola oki April 30, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Nice setting. Me likey

• Africhic April 30, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Must go there during my next trip to abuja.

• Lulu April 30, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Looks like a restaurant for the rich! But that’s understandable,

• Lulu April 30, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Quality is expensive! Good food is expensive!! Luv it!

• Gidi April 30, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Good food is expensive ———-> not true at all.

• monisola April 30, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Four years

• onyinye April 30, 2012 at 3:24 PM

February 2008

• Dickson kalu April 30, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Vanilla has been in business for Four years.

• Lamode clothing April 30, 2012 at 3:50 PM

4 years.

• cynthia April 30, 2012 at 3:52 PM

4years

• Maurene April 30, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Awesome restaurant… The ambience, location and food are to die for. Their jerk chicken and salads are out of this world. Love it!

• Priscy April 30, 2012 at 3:58 PM

since 2008

• madu April 30, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Very impressed. If you want to do anything do it well. Good looking chap as well!

• Anehibaby April 30, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Geez, i will like to be an intern in this place. And the answer to ur question is four years.

• Nafisat Gaffar April 30, 2012 at 4:24 PM

4 years

• margaret April 30, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Excellent article
      Answer: Vanilla has been up and running for four years now and counting!

• Evelyn April 30, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Four years

• Duni April 30, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Vanilla Restaurant has been in business for four(4) years. It opened for business February 2008.

• Janded April 30, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Nice event. love me some man who can cook and have great ideas

• Margaret April 30, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Excellent article. Great place to dine too.

Answer: 4 years and counting!

• miffed April 30, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Why all the emphasis on four years?

• Ready April 30, 2012 at 6:23 PM

@ Miffed and Queenofeverything..reading is essential. #noshotsfired. Seriously, read the final portion of the article.

Restaurant looks gorgeous, and ambience seems perfect. Plus the pictures of the food made me hungry!

• laura l April 30, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Hmmm!!! sounds & looks delicious. Vanilla has been opened for 4 years, since february 2008.

• QueenofEverything April 30, 2012 at 5:29 PM

why is everyone reiterating that it’s been open for 4 years? – confused.com…
      must defo visit when next in Abj (wondering when that would be)

• Moses April 30, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Will def visit when next I’m in Abuja ….

• omolola April 30, 2012 at 5:51 PM

4years (february2008-february 2012)

• Nammy April 30, 2012 at 6:46 PM

vanilla has been on for 4yrs!

• Shay April 30, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I love vanilla, the food yummm! Owner takes his biz very serious. Always calling him to ask for directions cos I get confused on my way thinking of what to eat there next lol. Well done. And yes vanilla has been in business for 4 years.

• bimbo April 30, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Vanilla has bin in busiNess for 4yrs and 2months since february 2008!!

• Ada April 30, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Vanilla Restaurant has been running for four(4) years and two(2) months I.e. February 2008 to April 2012.

• Mssocialbee April 30, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Really love the ambiance…Vanilla has been in existence for 50MONTHS

• Ify April 30, 2012 at 9:02 PM

4 years – opened Feb 2008.

• Olumide April 30, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Thumbs up Edoro! Vanilla is the best place I have been to in Lagos, Abuja and PH and belive me, I’ve been to the good places! Edoro is doing a fantastic job!!!

• Mak Nisy CEO April 30, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Your interview was a lovely read and i have learnt from it as i am a new business owner. Never leave your business for staff and always be involved at least 80%. I am chief production officer and i believe that why my business is growing.. Well i will be talking my hubby to this restaurant for a night out.. we will judge the food when we are done… good job and good luck in the many years ahead. http://www.maknisy.com.ng

• nneka May 1, 2012 at 7:51 AM

4yrs

• olayiwola oluomo May 1, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Four years

• Efe E May 1, 2012 at 12:38 PM

4years and 2months

• lol May 1, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Nice concept. As you said we all learn everyday, all I want to advise is for the display of your food for adverts, pls never overcook the food let it have golden feel but not cooked to show its neatness and cleaniness in pics. All pics you see restaurants displayed are not always fully cooked for the picture to come out better. The Full English Breakfast pic did not do justice to your display of food but well done. I will definitely visit your restaurant to eat. Kudos

• Mariaah May 1, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Vanilla Restaurant & Lounge Abuja has been in existence for four years..

Pls BN and oga Chef let me win, my office is in Missisipi Street Maitama :)

• ifeyinwa May 1, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Vanilla rstaurant has been in business for 4 years

• Pd May 1, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Please come and open 1 in lagos……..i love food!

• birdieblue May 1, 2012 at 4:03 PM

4 years and 2 months!!!! Pls pls let me win!!!!!!

• Purpleicious Babe May 1, 2012 at 9:22 PM

looks good… i like the description of good food. and also it should be nutritious….

well done…

• Uchenna May 1, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Four years

• olajide May 1, 2012 at 11:47 PM

four years.

nice place..

• Nice Anon May 2, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Nemi Aweriokuma is beautiful.

• christiana james May 2, 2012 at 6:08 PM

4years

• Africanbeauty May 2, 2012 at 10:31 PM

why repeat the same answer…very annoying.
      My dad went there and he couldn’t stop talking about it.

• peaches May 3, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Vanilla has been in business for four years.and yes, i live in ABUJA.

• Ajayi Samson May 3, 2012 at 6:01 PM

They have been in Business for 4 years

• Pendo May 3, 2012 at 7:33 PM

hahahahaha seriously people should learn to read the ENTIRE article lol

• NONSENSE May 3, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Can people stop repeating the four years part?

• ggg May 3, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Is the lady in the picture smoking opium ?

• iamfascinating May 3, 2012 at 10:25 PM

nice!

• sandra May 4, 2012 at 4:09 AM

abegi the food is just ther….but the chicken n suya’s to die for yummy!!

• kenny May 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM

yeah we get it! FOUR YEARS! Now can we stop repeating it.

• babe May 4, 2012 at 11:10 AM

4 years and 2months

• morenikeji May 4, 2012 at 1:37 PM

they’ve been on for 4 years

• revivedafrikana June 19, 2012 at 4:14 AM

very nice concept. what a cutee too

• doris June 29, 2012 at 12:41 PM

visited vanilla lounge few days ago, as i stepped in with wet appetite for food i have heard so much about,a certain dull boriness hit me,the electricity was out so no life at the venue,a bit dark and hot for a nigerian weather. After i made my order and asked for food,i waited for about 20mins and decided its time i try another place before the atmospehere reduces my desire for a good dinner. That was when one of the waiters asked foolishly why i was leaving,that i should exercise more patience that the generator will soon be on. is that what u say to some one who has not had food since morning. MR Edoro take note….your place is calm, nice with no electricity.On your generator once its ur opening time. thank you.