Humpty Dumpty Fell off The Wall! Have You Ever Had A Great Fall?

I used to think there was nothing more embarrassing than when you were in a meeting of intellectuals (or not so intellectual beings) and then in an attempt to sound really smart you end up saying something really stupid and inaccurate. The sort where you wish the ground would somehow open up its jaws and just welcome you willingly because you can’t bear to look at anybody in the room. It’s very funny to watch when you’re not the one making the gaffe because for some reason human beings are wired that way.

The first time that I experienced what I thought was the most embarrassing moment of my life was in secondary school.  Back then we had this really large area with trees and kiosks where students bought snacks and generally hung out during lunch.  On this fateful day, I don’t know where I was running to like a direction-less Ferret but my sandals got caught in the root of one of the trees and I went tumbling down. Right there, during break, I was sprawled out on the floor in front of everybody.  I was so embarrassed I didn’t want to ever get up again. How was I going to stand, lift my head up high and walk to my class? The idea of remaining on the floor didn’t seem wise so I got up and did what I thought was the smartest thing at that time; I laughed at myself. And there and then, it felt like it didn’t even happen.

I’ve heard stories of most embarrassing moments shared by my friends. Tales of being pressed while in traffic on third mainland bridge and having to do whatever it takes, tales of  having cooked up an elaborate tale of your circumstances and being caught in a direct lie, tales of  having freshly made hair and while walking down the hallway full of self confidence and charisma and next thing you fall flat on your face, and my personal favorite, wearing a wig and having a torrential breeze from hell blowing it off your head in the presence of a boy you’ve been scoping for months!  We were talking about this in the office and Jules told us of how she fell down the stairs in front of her boyfriend and his mother. She landed right in front of the Mummy completely humiliated.

I’m sure at some point in our lives we’ve all experienced one terribly embarrassing moment or the other. For some it hasn’t left a dent on their self-esteem, for some other people it’s had a long lasting effect on their ego.

Please share some of your most embarrassing moments with us and how you were able to save face after.  But before I go I’ll leave you with some interesting videos I found.

Model trips on the catwalk

The Australian Prime Minister, Julia Gillard and her little shoe mishap

And bringing it home; our very own rising sensation, Burna Boy falls off the stage at the Headies

Photo creditgurl.com

55 Comments on Humpty Dumpty Fell off The Wall! Have You Ever Had A Great Fall?
  • phantom October 31, 2012 at 10:12 am

Falls are minor. During my service year, i once sat next to the office cutie in the staff bus on my way back from work. Having had what i consired a witty convo, i said a breezy ‘good night, see ya 2mao’ to everyone on the bus. imagine my mortification when i got off the chair and realised i had drawn what looked like the map of China on the non-leather seat of the bus!! it was that time of the month and although i wore my ‘armour’, i had a leak. I still havent forgiven Always…..

• CAMRON October 31, 2012 at 10:19 am

my most embarassing moment was when i had to act in a church drama. i knew all my lines and exactly when to say every word but i stammer and u know what it means. u just get this lack of self confidence. on that fateful christmas eve, we got to church and i was Angel Gabriel. then came the time for Angel Gabriel to appear to Joseph. i entered the church, and OMG words got stucked right in my throat. i knew exactly what i had to say but i feared i was going to stammer. i stood still for sometime and could see people trying to recall my line then i managed to say just two sentences i flew out. people couldnt just stop asking me why and till date, my sisters havent stopped mocking at me and i dont see myself ever taking part even in readings in church or leading worship

• adenike October 31, 2012 at 10:25 am

It’s easier to laugh at my embarrassing moment now – it wasn’t funny on that particular day (2004)
    I was heading to work (from Sabo Yaba to Victoria Island) one Monday morning. I was an intern with a radio station then. Mumsy gave me money for cab cos she said i was looking too good to take a bus (lol). I got to the bus-stop and got on a bus (yea,silly me). Cab was n1,200 and bus was N50 abeg.
    Are you familiar with the traffic ON Obalende Bridge in the mornings? Well, as i was about getting off the bus on the bridge – IN TRAFFIC, my peep toe shoes (the right leg) tore into my lycra skirt and PULLED IT DOWN!! Yea, you heard me correctly, pulled it down. I was wearing a white shirt that was just sitting on my waist so the shirt couldn’t save me. I was on my period, wearing a black net pant and i also had a couple of beads on my waist back then. So try imagine the sight. It was gory, it was pathetic. I wanted to die. It was the breeze that blew into my thighs that made me realize I was close to naked. Peeps were looking at me like I’d gone nuts.
    A good samaritan covered me from the back with her headtie while i struggled to pull the skirt (I was a mess). I just flagged the next available bike and left the scene.
    Trust me,I avoided that part of the bridge for months!!

• Homely October 31, 2012 at 11:16 am

@adenike eyyaaaf keee me with laff this morring. Over calculation na hin kee you oo. Pele. chai.

• Purpleicious Babe October 31, 2012 at 2:48 pm

oh no…… covers mouth…..

NOWAY…Wow that is proper drama….kia..
      as if Mum knew…. anyhoo its part of life..

But still though, kia…

• Qee October 31, 2012 at 3:05 pm

…it was the breeze that blew into my thighs that made me realise…. ROTFL, ye haff really keee me (according to Homely!)

• missrathi October 31, 2012 at 10:44 am

Hillarious>>>>>>>>>>> ROTFLMAO

• Gina October 31, 2012 at 10:56 am

@adenike, i cudnt stop laughing, LOLs. as if ur mum knew somfyn was gonna go wrong.

• Chattyzee October 31, 2012 at 11:14 am

ROTFLMAO ….. interesting stories

• Osezy October 31, 2012 at 11:50 am
  • funky October 31, 2012 at 12:34 pm

@adenike cant stop laughing lol

• Ogonna October 31, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I can never forget that day. An auditorium filled with at least 1500 people watched me slip and almost fall! i had been called out to collect an award and it never occurred to me that people were watching closely until i heard the collective gasp from the audience, and the MC just had to comment and warn ladies about heels! imagine how red my face was…

• Diva October 31, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Hmmmmm! great falls? I had one so major that i guess made God exempt me from others. I was in another city after being called to the Bar with my friends. We decided to go celebrate our achievement so we went to this club. I was wearing a very LBD and sky high platforms. i went to the bar to fetch my friends a round of drinks and literally had two glasses of shots in both hands. As i was walking back to the table, a cute guy approached me, trying to make conversation and i smiled politely and let him know i wasnt interested. As i took the next step, i slipped and landed on my behind, i literally sat on the slippery and wet floor half spilled drinks STILL IN HAND. I can swear that half the people in the club went “awwwwwww”. lol…i know right? Even the guy i had just ‘dissed’, came to help me off the floor. My friends came running too. Thankfully, one of them was a huge guy. I swear i hid my face in his shoulder for almost 10 minutes after i was picked up from the floor (more like peeled off the floor having been roadkill)…. We left immediately i could gather my shattered pride, even after the manager came to apologise saying some drinks had been spilled but staff were slow to clean up the floor. Lmao. I still have shivers anytime i remember the incident…

• funzy October 31, 2012 at 1:08 pm

okay mine is a bit recent, last year to be precise. I got on a train with my sis. we were heading back home after a long day out shopping. so I needed to use the toilet and I am not a fan of public toilets (this strongly proves why) but it was urgent. so I entered the toilet and you know these doors have some complicated buttons sometimes. Thinking I had locked the door or maybe the door was faulty I have no clue. Next thing after comfortably placing my derriere on the toilet seat with my pants down and everything , the door opens wide. It isnt one of the ones you can just shut back but the sliding one which has to slide all the way till its fully open before sliding slowly back to close. It was really bad. People waiting on the platform to get on the train and people in my cabin saw everything even my sister saw me and was so embarrassed. Imagine spending 2 hrs on the train with people staring at you like a crazy person.

• lily October 31, 2012 at 5:05 pm

hahaha your story takes the cake! say what??

• purplepearl October 31, 2012 at 5:31 pm

oh dear, i can imagine…. but its funny

• Chydee October 31, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Really funny,couldn’t stop laughing at Adenike….pele oh

• Chichi October 31, 2012 at 1:26 pm

My own wasn’t a fall per say but it was extremely embarrassing. I started a new job and went to the ladies and came out with my skirt tucked in my tights. Every body so my bum/knickers. If I was white my face would have been the colour of a tomato. I sha pulled out my skirt and said ‘Heavenly father, only you know why this has happened’ and carried on with my day. Offcourse since then whenever I go to the ladies, I take extra time to make sure nothing is mistakenly exposed.

• Priscy October 31, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Mine was in my Sec sch days. I was in my JSS3 then. There are a lot of mango trees in my school.There is a particular big Mango tree and that’s is where most of the people that sell snacks and lunch stuff stay. On this fateful day, the place was packed as usual during breaktime and I went to get egg roll and zobo drink and I was standing under the mango tree. The next thing I knew, a big mango just fell on my head with a loud sound. All the students started laughing @ me. It was not funny o. I even started crying then coz it was painful…My classmates never ceased to tease me about it once in a while.

• Kehinde Ruth Onasoga October 31, 2012 at 2:09 pm

OMG! cant imagine how u felt at that moment… pele oh

• janefrancis October 31, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I can remember the day i mess my self up . In my school my department was having a refreshing party i stand up to go imaging what happened i fall down i felt shock , i couldn’t bear it i just stand up laugh and walk out . Lol

• efe October 31, 2012 at 2:29 pm

omg@ adenike.u wan kill person with laugh,you know u need to have thots like these each time,you wanna get angry,and d next thing is that u are just laughing your heart out.Nice one.Thank God it is in the past

• sofy October 31, 2012 at 2:33 pm

ha ha ha ha that just brightened up my day!!!!!!!!

• oluchy October 31, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Mine was in university, l was on my way 2 class when my zip gave way n the guy that l had a crush on just chose that moment to come my way, l had to hold my skirt n find the shortest route home, still laughing about it till 2day. l do have several embarrassing moments.

• D Pretty October 31, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Most embarrassing moment for me was way back when I finished secondary school. I was so young and fresh and also considered the prettiest girl in the estate. I had one fine bobo who was on my case. One day, he invited me to come to the playground in the esatte n i obliged him. Getting there, as d prettiest girl with my plenty formings I decided to swing. Was having fun n laughing until I fell off the swing face flat on the ground. God knows I wanted to die that day. I got up n my fine bobo was there to help dust off dirts. till today, I can never get d picture off my head.LOL

• oluwaseun October 31, 2012 at 3:56 pm

lolz

• person pikin October 31, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I remember sneezing in the middle of a lesson in primary school, and a loud fart accompanied the sneeze! Although it didn’t stink, on subsequent occasions when there was a foul smell from nowhere (mess), eyes would always look at me…. Thank God it was the last term of primary 5.

• Abim bim October 31, 2012 at 4:53 pm

@Person pikin, u wan kill person wit laugh here o, very funny

• lily October 31, 2012 at 4:58 pm

ok mine is more than embarrassing. in 2008 when mimi’s touch my body song was reigning i was dancing seductively to the song only for my dad to come back from work and see me dancing. He asked me to put off the music and go to my room i was beyond mortified!

• Amber October 31, 2012 at 5:04 pm

@adenike….wow!,now it is funny cos am sure it wasn’t funny then.
    I have falling several times anytime I put on shoes with heels but ever since I fell and rolled down from the top of the church staircase on one fateful Sunday,I have been in love with flats and low-heeled shoes

• Audrey October 31, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Mine is very recent,as in yesterday.I’m an admin.at a public university.I tripped over a gutter,fell flat on my face,my spectacles fell off my face,a pair of shoe came off and my skirt got torn all infront of the students!
    No.2 Last year,i fell asleep in a bus,when I woke

• Audrey October 31, 2012 at 7:08 pm

up my wig had come off.LOL

• purplepearl November 3, 2012 at 10:15 am

LMAO, yours is Legendary

• ijecandy October 31, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Laugh don tear my belle!
      I just couldn’t leave without dropping a comment. Made my day!

• partyrider November 1, 2012 at 3:38 am

Lmaoo :D

• kelly October 31, 2012 at 7:19 pm

hmmn..still cant get over mine…it was in secondary sch and i was in js2 , part of the yoruba cultural dance group, oh my ..i used to dance so well so i was made the leader. unfortunately for me that day, my aso oke wrapper wasnt firm buh i was managing it until it got to the last part where just 3 of us had to do the bata dance….haaa my Lord! immediately the drummer hit the last part and the time wen we have to gan pa(if u knw how the bata dance very well) as i raised up my hands to the talkin drum..My iro (wrapper) just went down and i was wearing only pants! Jesu !…i was more than embarrassed and i had a crush in my class then..everybody saw my pants…i couldnt stop crying..i picked my iro and ran out…wasnt myself for dayssss….loooolll

• climax October 31, 2012 at 9:22 pm

i had just broken up with my ex, a very nasty break-up, we were virtually enemies. i still had to go the wedding of a mutual friend of ours, of course i took my time to dress up and look all sexy, just to show homeboy what he was missing, of course, i saw my ex and went ahead ignore him and pay attention and flirt with this guy i know, just to make him jealous. now consider my pain, when it was time to leave and i catwalked out on my sexy heels, only for me to fall and land face down at the feet of………………you said it, -my ex, i literally died.

• Climax, sorry o October 31, 2012 at 11:34 pm

NO FREAKING way, NO FREAKING way, NO FREAKING way, OMG, I would literally have died there. Ring the bells. Awards please. This is the Number ONE most embarrassing moment ever. Yikes. I’m sorry, but I can’t stop laughing. Oh my gosh. Mehn, the guy’s head is too strong, like our people say. You guys should get back together, honestly. That’s something, you both will laugh about for yeeeaaars to come. Pele hen, I’m sorry, but I can’t stop laughing. Note to self, when next I am going to an event my ex may attend, make the effort NOT to try too hard to impress him or make him jealous, or such accidents may befall me. ROTFLMAO.

• Purpleicious Babe November 1, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Oops

lool………………. oh no LMFO

• oyinda October 31, 2012 at 9:41 pm

very funny write ups….mine was back in 2008 in uni then in 9ja….i had just gone shopping from dubai so i had some beautiful black and white outfits i bought since i was studying law so on that fateful day i had this beautiful skimpy black skirt and heels on to school …i got so many comments that morning so i was feeling myself like mad then i had to run to d main campus for lectures with my friends…. after waiting for a cab in vain we decided to bike so while i was carefully sitting down on d bike d slit of my haawt skirt gave way all d way to my big butt and my house was so damn far from skool so throughout dat day i had to attend all my lectures dat way wiv guys making comments when i passed…did not know i had such courage till dat day… finally i had to go to d skool saloon to use d hair needle and thread to sew d slit….it was so embarassing meehn but i gots to carry myself wiv pride…

• Pd November 1, 2012 at 12:07 am

Una try oh…..mine was quite recent,after living work ard 5.30pm……traffic was already building up on awolowo road so i decided to a bike to obalende……i no no say my pencil skirt zip don run out and it was dat time of the month n my tomato red colored pant was flashing innocent bystanders n motorists alike…..i was so comfy that i was waving colleagues as i flash by until i heard madam abeg close ur boot! Choi…..i wan die…..

• Ohgey November 1, 2012 at 7:53 am

Lmao!!!! All these embarrassing moments dat can kee person!!!! Haha!! I can’t remember any of mine sha. All I know is that in sec school I mastered the art of stopping myself from falling. That I guess, is what has been saving me. Looooool. Cheers y’all :)

• Izzi November 1, 2012 at 10:50 am

Una fit kee pesin ohhhh, haba. All this by this time of the day, im crying habaa

• she November 6, 2012 at 12:11 pm

mehhhn i chose the wrong day to read this post. in front of my boss, suppressing my laughter. i had to run to the restroom to have a good laugh! chai see priceless moments of embarrassment! i have had my fair share too, the most embarrassing for me was back in secondary school i think ss1 or so. my school’s main gate is a long passage in front just the road, when school closes students just line up by the road either gisting with friends, or waiting for their ride home. for those of us that take public transport, we have to pass through there to get to the bus stop too. on this fateful day i was on my period (which i just started to have and back then my aunt introduced me to using tissues) well my tissue was full and had divided into two in my pant, i was stylishing corodintaing the pieces as i walked! lo and behold at the very centre of my school passage with dozens of students standing by, one half of my tissue fell out of my pant!! oh boy if you see the speed i used to pick it up and disappeared from the scene. i literally died a million times

• zayt November 21, 2012 at 12:21 pm

funzy oooo. lwkmd. almst falling off my seat. my boss thinks am crazy! my God, i can imagine?!! pele. kai! teew funny!