Posted on Wednesday, December 5th, 2012 at 10:01 AM

By Atoke

In January 2012, Nigerians went all out to protest the removal of fuel subsidy and generally bad leadership. It was an impressive to see many Nigerians, cutting across a wide demographic of people coming together to stand firm for what we believed in.  Many have argued that it was all for nought, but I don’t believe so. It is in the unity that we exhibited that   is the evidence that there’s truly hope. Indeed, it was more than just the removal of subsidy. It was a time when we showed unity in diversity.

In this educative documentary by Ishaya Bako, called “Fueling Poverty” the history of the petroleum subsidy and the proposed removal is shared.

According to the press release sent by the producers of the documentary:

“The oil subsidy placed on petroleum products by the Nigerian government was meant to provide a much-needed relief on the cost of living in one of the most complicated countries in the world. However after a probe by the House of Representatives, it was revealed that about seven billion dollars was stolen from the Nigerian people in one year from the same program that was meant to provide relief for them. It is quite possibly one of the most daring frauds in history.”

The documentary seeks to educate Nigerians, home and abroad on the oil subsidy scam and the ensuing probe. Made by award winning director, Ishaya Bako, the film takes us from the deliberations between the govenment and the civil society, through the January 2012 protests, to the “Farouk Lawan V Femi Otedola” scandal. With commentaries from Femi Falana; musician and activist, Seun Kuti, social entrepreneur – Japheth Omojuwa, former minister to the FCT, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai and other other social commentators.

The film is funded by the Open Society Initiative for West Africa (OSIWA).

Watch the documentary here.

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

• Custom Search
  • 17 Comments on ““We Have Nothing Else To Sacrifice” – Watch Ishaya Bako’s Fuel Subsidy Removal Documentary “Fueling Poverty””

Comments
    • OLA December 5, 2012 at 10:49 AM

great to nigeria with this kind of project…

• cathy December 5, 2012 at 11:14 AM

creating awareness, good one.

• Princess December 5, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Nigeria my country #sadness overwhelms me#

• isaid!! December 5, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Little by little, one day at a time we will reclaim our country and our destiny.The road is long and hard but good source of information such as this will go a long way to help.

• Sugarie bako December 5, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Yeeeeeey ish bako

• Lol December 5, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Bless my country..finally someone is doing this documentary thank God hopefully it will get to all tv stations too…ppl need 2 be educated ( P.S u won’t find them here to 2 watch oo but wen it time 2 critize someone’s post or article there will be like 70 comments KMT)

• Taire Gabriels December 5, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I have not been able to watch the documentary. Perhaps poor network both in my mobile & pc has not allow me get the streams.
      Is there away I can 1st download, then watch it later?

• Joan December 5, 2012 at 3:30 PM

“…we have nothing left to sacrifice…” that statement brought me to tears, really. Nigerians have really sacrificed so much to have better lives, but it keeps getting worse SMH. I don’t even know what else to say

• LB December 5, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I actually cried at some point watching this… i cant wait for when Nigeria can turn!! Level of corruption is ridiculous! This documentary is very educating and sad… Sad for Nigeria!! Thank you for doing this!

• Teresa December 5, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Thank you so much Ishaya! More grease…

• ABCOG December 5, 2012 at 6:06 PM

This made me cry. I don’t know how those in government who are hell-bent on destroying the people of Nigeria sleep at night. Sometimes I wonder if they understand the consequences of their actions on the everyday Nigerian. Painful, just painful.

• EfKay December 5, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I wept while watching this. I just wish there was something I could do as a person. The suffering of our people is just too much. We can’t continue like this. I’m really thinking…what can we do??

• Dami December 5, 2012 at 7:44 PM

ooh yeah..i remember watching the fuel subsidy debate on channels during the strike, they list numerous advantages of the removal, and i was thinking hmmm they actually av a point and maybe this was gonna work out!!….bullshit i was brainwashed :(…the government knows that to do to bring change, i just feel like they had purposely sit back and do nothing.
      during the meeting, they all look bored and uninterested about the whole conversation
      (oh yeah rmbr they pay them for every sitting) so they are basically there just for attendance and that poor boy who lost his life….13 people died?..woow…how heartless can the government get, like rilli u watch thousands of people die so you can have a little change in ur pocket!!….

• NNENNE December 6, 2012 at 3:48 AM

It is time we start looking at alternative resources. Nigerians put a lot of emphasis on oil. What are we going to do when this oil dries up?

Taking off subsidy was a good idea. The only problem is that nothing good works in Nigeria because corruption has eaten into the fabric of our society.

• feisty chic December 6, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Very good documentary. The part that made me laugh was when our president said God will judge them if they make Nigerians face hardship. Very ironic. My anger with Nigerians, myself included, is that we all went to wage war when mobilized. When we didn’t get what we wanted, we just slunk back home like cockroaches. We should have all fought till the bitter end and got the price reverted back to =N=65.

• Lue December 6, 2012 at 10:06 AM

I cry for my country

• Tunmi December 8, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Wole Soyinka has a great narrator’s voice