Water No Get Enemy! 4 Reasons To Drink Your Way to Good Health

Posted on Tuesday, February 12th, 2013 at 11:00 AM

By Tolu Ojo

Growing up, I was a picky eater, but it didn’t drive my mother as crazy as my refusal to drink water. I simply didn’t see the point.  It was tasteless and boring. Why would I drink water when I could drink Fanta or nothing at all? Like most things the fact that she went on about it meant I even wanted to drink less.

Well, I have since grown up and seen the error of my childish days. I have become my mother. When I am home I find myself telling my parents: “It’s harmattan, you need to drink more water and stay hydrated!” So how did this role reversal take place:  I used to hate drinking water – I would drink soda, juice – anything but plain water.  Then some time in college, I started to have these terrible headaches. I went to the doctor and I was told I was suffering from “dehydration”. Seriously? I paid money for the doctor to tell me the cause of my illness was not drinking water? Immediately, I decided to give up sugary drinks. For a month or so, I loaded up on water. The results were pretty astonishing.

My headaches reduced. Our bodies are about 60 percent water. So water is essential for our bodies to be in tip-top shape. Water transports oxygen to our cells, protecting out organs, joints and muscles. Water aids our metabolism, carries nutrients to our organs and tissues and keeps them moist. We lose tons of water breathing; sweating and urinating so when we don’t replenish water lost our bodies can’t be at their most effective, our tissues are dehydrated – hence my headaches.

My skin cleared up - I did not notice this at first, as my skin likes to act up. It will be clear and flawless for six months and then the rest of the year will suddenly start to break out, flare out and go crazy.  Once, I was meeting my dad at the airport after not seeing for six months and his first words were not: hello, nice to see you my sweet daughter. They were: “what happened to your face?!” So yes, I was now poster girl for flawless skin. It was in the midst of one of those crazy zit face moments I went on my new found water journey. I did not change anything about my diet or skin care regimen but my skin improved drastically. I thank the mighty powers of H-2-0.

My energy levels went up and up. I am a big fan of caffeine for energy –  I used to drink three cups minimum a day. But with the headaches – the caffeine had to go or at least be seriously reduced.  I panicked. Being no fan of energy drinks I wondered how I would get through my days with less caffeine. My fears were unfounded.  Somehow I had more energy. Our blood plasma is mostly made up of water. Not enough water and the blood volume decreases, reducing cardiac output so your poor heart has to work harder to deliver blood to the body. Blood plasma transports nutrients to our cells. Enough water ensures every part of the body receives oxygen, nutrients and blood sugar (read energy) for our bodies to properly function. Who knew?  Less caffeine and more water equaled more energy.

Finally – erm, I have to say this: my urine went from yellow to clear –  Not to get too biological but a strong odor to urine and/or a dark yellow colour is a good indication of dehydration. Yes, we all know what I am talking about. The body urinates about 17 oz of liquid a day to remove waste that form from daily metabolic activities. That is more that two regular glasses! Experts recommend 64 oz or about 8 glasses of fluid a day. Prior to my water diet you had to force me to finish one single glass of water a day. Now, it is always clean and clear after a trip to the bathroom, thank you very much. My housemates I might add were very pleased.

Medical research suggests a ton of other benefits to drinking water including reducing the chance of some kinds of cancer, kidney stones and improving our metabolism.

So the next time you are feeling a bit lethargic or feel a headache before you go see your doctor drink some water – you will feel better, wake up with radiant looking skin and you may even improve your relationship with your housemates! Seriously, before you reach for that bottle of coke – try some water instead – trust me, your body will thank you. I know mine did.

Photo Creditfrugivoremag.com

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Tolu Ojo ThumbnailTolu Ojo is in the field of public health, which she enjoys as a good excuse to travel and spend extended periods vacationing working in remote places in Africa and Asia. When she isn’t disease busting – she likes to harp on all things health and fitness related.

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , , ,

• Custom Search
  • 14 Comments on “Water No Get Enemy! 4 Reasons To Drink Your Way to Good Health”

Comments
    • oluchy February 12, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Thank u,BN. Now l know why l should drink water, nice writeup.

• mimi February 12, 2013 at 11:38 AM

i wondered why my mum adviced me to drink plenty of water.i tried it last year and i got healthier and more strengthened.

• Lola February 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Yup. Definitely love me some water!

• Mimi February 12, 2013 at 12:22 PM

water is life!!! drink pleeeeennnnttttyyy stay healthy :)

• Berry Dakara February 12, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Yeah, shouldn’t drinking tea/coffee be almost the same thing as drinking water?

*runs to hide*

berrydakara.blogspot.com

• Trina!!! February 12, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Last year, i had a heart condition and the cause was lack of water. i was working out twice a day and dieting to loose weight,but drank less water. Half way into my weight loss, i had chronic palpitation and double vision. My cardiologist was able to confirm to me that my heart was dehydrated and was dangerous enough to keep me comatose for weeks. i learnt the hard way and i have since made it a habit to drink a minimum of 2 litres per day whether i’m thirsty or not

• dont mention February 12, 2013 at 1:17 PM

@berry dakara, hahahahahha, u r running to hide bc deep inside u , u know dat they dont equate to water. yes they r fluids but they r not water n dier benefits r not de same as water n not even close to what u get wehn u drink water n in their case, it will also depend on the kind.nice write up. hv always known all of these u pointed out, now if only i could get myself to actually drink dat much. sometimes i do n sometimes i dont, its hard to keep up……thanx for the reminder
      vikkyscreed.blogspot.com

• Hush February 12, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Infact this article is the perfect reminder to me.Part of my 2013 resolution’s to live healthy and even though I preach it to people that as an adult you should take 8 glasses of 8 ounces of water daily which amounts roughly to about 3.3 liters in a day,I can tell you,it’s been easy not to say the opposite.But I have been able to get myself to drink close to that:I got a glass cup that could take up to 16ounces of water at a go,cos hey..4 is less than 8,then I get to boil some ginger and take with some honey( at least both are beneficial to the body) and sometimes I add some 100%cranberry juice,perfect for my urinary system and before by the end of the day…Bam! I’ve had 3 liters .now I go with ease,belch well and feel so good and pee so much but clear.i know I will love my skin by the end of the year!

• koko February 12, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I bet you also lost weight in the process. It also helps cleanup that pre-diabetic state

• loo February 12, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Please guys dump all the soda and caffeine and alcohol too they do no good to your body they have more disadvantages than advantages
      Drink clean water a lot its soooo good for your body
      A word is enough for the wise

• omototun February 13, 2013 at 2:38 AM

New Year resolution was to drink more water and absolutely no Sodas and Juice drinks , Except for orange Juice occasionally (as a meal or during flu and not as a side drink). 6weeks in(at least 4bottles a day)….So far so good?? CLEAR SKIN!! I have hyper-pigmentation issues but at least my skin is smooth beneath all of the chaos :D!!!
      I already dropped alcohol the past 2years, I wish i could dump coffee as well, but i am a full time grad student with a full time job…I need the extra alertness, sipping on one right now ;-)

• chichi March 11, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I do this every day…but still have problems with my body am still fat and am weight 98 now i want reduce my weight please tell me what to do, my food intake, sugar intake…

• msb March 13, 2013 at 9:24 PM

am a fan of water but my problem is the constant visit to the loo….@ Chichi my advice is to reduce your food portion and take less carbs bt still maintain your water intake…u’ll get there, all the best

• oluchye March 22, 2013 at 11:48 AM

@chichi do portion control and take alot of water.