BN Beauty: 6 Factors that Could be Stunting Your Hair Growth

After the BN article on Bassey Akan the Lushstrands blogger with waist length hair I have been getting calls on whether her hair is truly that long. Just in case you’re one of those people, it is.  Most of the calls ended on the note that some people are wondering why their hair, no matter how much attention they pay to it, has refused to grow.

One of the many reasons why African women have stunted hair growth could be due to a number of reasons that could range from focusing on the wrong aspect of hair care to just doing it wrong.

There are a lot of hair problems and different solutions to them, but in all the major thing you need to understand is hair growth takes time.

But while we wait, check these things off your list to see if they’re what’s keeping you from waist length hair.

You’re applying too much heat to the hair when styling:
Blow drying, curling, straightening…all the heat applied to hair can cause damage to hair growth. The presence of chemicals mixed with heat in your hair dries out the water and removes moisture from the hair strands. This makes it break easily.

To avoid this, reduce the frequency of heat application to your hair. In addition always get regular protein deep treatment conditioners to help fight damage after applying heat.

You’re over processing your hair or over handling:
With the large number of hair care products that exist, each promising something better than the last I know it’s very easy to go product crazy. The thing is when you burden your hair with treatment after treatment it will eventually start to show because each product has its process of working. These could also have different chemicals that damage your hair when reacting with others, like Parabens i.e Propyl, Methyl, Butyl, or Ethyl. When you give your hair too much attention it could loose its health leading to hair loss.

A quick solution is to always research your hair type and confirm chemicals that are good for your hair. Keep in mind that you could have a mixture of different types of hair (curly & wavy etc). Also schedule your hair appointments so you can give your hair time to rest up and grow naturally.

Hair Post - BellaNaija - April 2013

You’re doing the wrong hairstyles:
If you haven’t been paying attention, now is the time to do so! Not all hairstyles are good for your hair. For example if you regularly make hairstyles that require a lot of bonding glue and you remove them without caution you are damaging the roots of the hair. The best option for removal of such is always to apply hair oil to the glued area to soften it up. This allows for easy removal. Not doing this could lead to permanent hair loss (traction alopecia) around the temple and the ears.

Take caution to make hairstyles that do not put too much stress on the hair follicles. Weaves and extensions offer hairstyle options, but remove them every six to eight weeks to give your hair a break.

You might be using a quack hairstylist:
Not everyone is a trained hair care specialist. Just because they own a salon and have the equipment does not make them the right professionals to handle your hair. Be sure to search for a specialist that that knows what he or she is doing and can do it well. Also keep to one or at most two hair stylists. This ensures that the person is accustomed to your hair and all its needs.

Your hair  is being pulled too tight:
Pulling your hair too tight could result in permanent hair loss. It could also end with acne or sores to the scalp. On average, women loose about 100 strands of hair a day. Let’s not increase those figures okay?

Instead of getting on the ‘bald eagle’ train, tell your hair stylist not to pull too hard while weaving or sewing. The loosening feeling you get later is not relief but your hair strands getting uprooted from your scalp from being wound too tight. Take this initiative and protect your hair from follicle damage so your hair could have the opportunity to grow to its full potential.

hair care Tips - Bellanaija - April2013

You have dirty hair:
The scalp is the base and beginning of hair growth, if you do not have that under control then you do not have a good foundation for hair growth. Imagine if you went 2 weeks without washing your face? You get the picture?
Wash your hair regularly and treat it to a good cleansing when you can; at least once every 7-10 days.

Photo Credit: kootation.com | madamenoire.com |  juicymagonline

73 Comments on BN Beauty: 6 Factors that Could be Stunting Your Hair Growth
  • temmie April 12, 2013 at 1:48 pm

once every 7-10 days? how is that possible? i wear my weave for about a month jur

• lilz April 12, 2013 at 1:56 pm

my exact thoughts

• pynk April 12, 2013 at 2:09 pm

You arent supposed to. Le duh! ur scalp is like your skin. Treat it well. If you cant wash, wipe your scalp so your pores can breath.

• Tinu April 12, 2013 at 3:17 pm

I wash my hair once a week even when I have a weave in o…. One week I do a proper wash with a mild shampoo and then the other week is just a condition only rinse.

I just make sure I don’t manipulate the weave too much so that it doesn’t get tangles (if you are using good quality human hair it should be fine).

I just make sure that my hair underneath gets a good cleanse and condition and when I remove the weave its super soft and moisturised.

the worst thing is to weave your hair and then neglect your precious hair which is underneath!

It may seem like a foreign concept but its a good idea to wash you weave. It also eliminates that stinky weave smell too :)

• Jay April 14, 2013 at 6:19 am

Completely agree. I wash my hair once a week too and recommend this to other ladies. That dirty hair smell is disgusting eeeeew.
        Tips to easy washing: make sure your hair dresser does horizontal weaving before sewing in extensions, (avoid the “all back” type of weaving). This would make washing and drying easy breezy and leave your scalp feeling squeeky clean n smellless.
        Advice, your scalp is part of the skin that forms your forehead thus, dirty scalp = bad skin.

• Miss M April 24, 2013 at 8:17 pm

That’s why its not growing! lol. Weaves are hiding your hair from what it needs. Washing really helps, i wash once a week. Take care!

• Hurperyermie April 12, 2013 at 2:00 pm

7-10 days that is not possible cos if i leave my hair without making it, then am looking for trouble it will start breaking and the least i can carry a weaved hair is 2 weeks so how is 7-10 days possible

• eloho April 12, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Not making your hair – which i believe you mean “weave-on/braids” wont actually make your hair break. Truth is, Nigerian women over burden their thinking they must always do something. Let your hair breathe. Usually, after re-touching my hair, I carry my hair for about a month plus. I can then do braids for a month and then a closed-up weave for another month before retouching again. With your own hair, you can buy a detachable bun or do a ponytail and alternate daily, giving you different looks. That way, you can allow your hair breathe.

• Keji April 23, 2013 at 2:58 am

That’s what moisturizing, sealing, and protective styling are there for. To prevent breaking.

• Nonhle April 12, 2013 at 2:04 pm

You can wash your hair with weave in it. I wash my hair every week even when I have a sew in weave. It’s totally doable

• Queen of Everything April 12, 2013 at 2:37 pm

I can’t believe you did not mention trimming! Not trimming your hair is a big issue that contributes to slow growth. A regular trim is required to get rid of split and week ends and have the hair in an overall healthy condition. A lot of attention is paid to the roots and not so much to the tips, this is erroneous. I guarantee those that do trim their hair regularly (at least every 8 weeks) see a big difference.
    Also, for those that relax, be careful to only apply that relaxer on the new growth as opposed to the full length as you’re already processing hair that has been already straightened resulting in making it even weaker. A lot of unqualified hairdressers are guilty of this. you’re the client so be sure to ask for what you want.
    Last but not least, moisturizing. Our hair texture (people of African origin with naturally tight and curly hair) is very thirsty. so moisturizing it is key. If you don’t, thirsty hair becomes dry and brittle with little to no resilience hence breaking off at an alarming rate. Deep conditioning treatments on a regular basis, baggying (richly apply mositurizer to the hair and covering with a showercap/plastic bag overnight – note this means it will steam overnight so hair might be damp – dripping wet when you wake up) and sealing the hair afterwards with oils (particularly castor oil) keeps the hair moisturized for longer.

Apologies for the lengthy comment, however I have personally applied these techniques and they worked wonders!

• Tinu April 12, 2013 at 3:25 pm

sorry I’m going to disagree a tad here. If you treat your hair properly, logic follows that you will have healthier hair and thus, less split ends. This means that you will not have to trim your hair as much as so mentioned above.

another problem with black hairdressers is that they get trigger happy with scissors and chop off perfectly healthy hair all in the name of ‘trimming dead ends’…..

Trimming ones hair really does depend on how healthy your hair is and how much spilt ends you have. There is no hard and fast rule.

• Soraya April 13, 2013 at 7:08 am

I use a white hairdresser (she is eastern european in fact) for trimming and straightening my afro hair without chemicals- she is absolutely brilliant!

• ola April 12, 2013 at 5:06 pm

I agree with you. I’m natural and I see a big difference when I trim and moisturize with water daily.

• Queenhannah April 30, 2013 at 3:37 pm

If you take care of your hair, you’l never need to trim it. But if you’re constantly damaging your hair, you’ll have to trim it. But Trimming doesn’t make a difference in your hair growth. If you want to retain length, why would you trim your hair. Hair care regimen everyone should follow is as follows:
      1. wash and condition your hair regularly every week. Wash with products that have less sulfur chemicals and petroleum. They damage your hair. (Read Product labels. if they have many ingredients you can’t pronounce, keep away.

2. If you’re natural, oil your hair as soon as you wash and condition. Use natural coconut and olive oils really help.
      3. if you relax your hair, relax every 8 weeks that is once in 2 weeks DO NOT leave relaxer in your hair for more than 30mins. Over processing your hair damages your hair.

4. Apply little to no heat to your hair. They Damage your hair.

5. Always Protect your ends daily. apply natural oil based hair creams; Don’t comb too often; wrap your hair every night (if you’re relaxed and wear it out) and tie a satin scarf.

6. Dont pull on scalp, if a hair style is too tight, you’ll loose your hair and could go bald. That’s why most ladies dont have front hairs

If you follow this routine, you’ll have long, full healthy hair and never need to trim.

• dp April 12, 2013 at 2:49 pm

I don’t even understand dis people if u wash ur hair every week, wont that mean one will be applying TO MUCH HEAT TO THE HAIR

• Ready April 12, 2013 at 3:05 pm

@dp You can wash it yourself with your hair products on weekends; this way, you can seal all the moisture in your hair with olive or coconut oil while it’s dripping wet, then let your hair air dry.
    I like to wash my hair on a Saturday morning after a Friday night out and wear a shower cap with conditioner in my hair while doing my weekend chores. You can wrap the shower cap with a fab hair wrap if you have to run minor errands around town.
    I don’t wash my hair every 7-10 days, I do it about every 2 weeks but that’s because I shy away from greasy products and too much products in general. Less build up on your scalp will allow you go longer without washing.

• Ready April 12, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I like to air dry because I can use my products as I please while my hair is wet without a hairdresser feeling like I’m telling her/him how to do their job. Plus many of them are too eager to use a towel to roughly dry the hair, and that’s bad for the hair as it stresses weak strands, sucks much of the moisture out, and encourages frizz. If in a rush, the best thing to use to dry hair is a soft cotton t-shirt as it sucks water in without distressing hair strands. Then I put my hair in a top knot/bun on my head and go about my business.

• justmii April 12, 2013 at 3:35 pm

I have read and done all these things noted but my hair would not grow past a certain point which was not the case few years ago. I recently found out why, I have a medical condition that is not allowing it grow. So I would add ask questions, when you see your hair not growing do not hesistate to seek medical opinion, I did ask questions initially when i noticed my hair not growing much anymore but the medical Dr I went to then said everything was fine but i still knew something was not right, I went to a different Doctor for something else recently and there it was my problem.

• Throw April 12, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Can you share a bot more about your hair-related medical condition? I found out that I have very low iron levels in my body as well as an under-active thyroid and this was affecting my hair. When I started taking iron and Vitamin B supplements, I noticed a difference in my hair after three months.

• Jay April 14, 2013 at 6:53 am

Hi Throw, yes hypothyroidism (slow thyroid) can cause hair coarseness and breakage. Since the disease also slows metabolism yes it also slows hair growth.
        Wish you good health.

• justmii April 17, 2013 at 1:01 pm

The condition is called Polycystic Ovary Syndrome or PCOS for short. The symptoms are similar to hypothyrodism but not quite the same

• justmii April 16, 2013 at 9:06 pm

I have a condition called PCOS and one of the symptoms is hair loss, the symptoms are similar to hypothyrodism so when i initially started noticing a difference in my weight, and hair growth that was what the Dr checked for but that all came back fine. Until I went to see an Ob/gyn recently and it made so much sense.

• funke April 12, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Wen my hair startd breaking,I trimed it and wash every weekend.nw d growth is encouraging.

• anti-hate April 12, 2013 at 4:22 pm

I don’t believe in that washing of hair every 7-10 days…well my opinion…I believe in washing it when I feel uncomfortable which will show up like in a month…why not say condition the hair n not washing it. I believe it should be conditioning. Yes I also have long hair n diz method works.
    Also those that use shea butter on hair in it natural form should try their best to was their hair. Even those that get sweaty after a day in the office. Please you scalp needs relaxation and not stress and dry up so I advise don’t wash but condition.
    My 2 cent!

• Nollywood REinvented April 12, 2013 at 4:25 pm

I agree with the article, add trimming split ends and always moisturize too

• semesee April 12, 2013 at 4:36 pm

I for one believe 100% that was Bassey’s hair. Taking proper care of your hair like some of the recomendations in the article is all good. However, hair growth is 90% genetic. Every other thing you do to it is to enhance whatever your genes has predetermined before you were born. if you do not believe this, check out these UK Prince(S), Williams, Charles, Edward, Phillips..(all bald as eagles)…..oh Harry too has started going bald., i hope no one things this creme-de- creme can not afford the best hair care or anything else money can buy. Research thoroughly what is best for your hair and stick with. There is no point obsessesing about hair growth.Why in the world do you think the Fake , hair, nails, boobs, skin(taning or bleaching), etc…industries are booming all over the world.

• Hair Addict April 12, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Those industries are boooming because pple like urself have convinced themselves that u need them to look good. Hair growth is not 90% up to genetics. It definitely plays a role in cases such as the texture or curl pattern of your hair, but it’s because of this lazy, excuses filled attitude that u hardly find a nigerian or even african lady with hair past her shoulder. If you have naturally thick hair, but your hair care methods are messed up, then my dear all the so called ‘good’ hair genes in the world will not help you. Companies in the US that make hair care products for african american hair have noticed the trend that most nigerian ladies refuse to be a part of. Loads of african amerian ladies, pay more attention to what they put in their hair than they used to. The companies have woken up and are now working towards creating products the women want. But you still ALWAYS have to check what you put in your hair.

Take ownership of your hair and start caring for it. Simply going natural isn’t necessarily the solution either. Relaxed, natural or texlaxed, you HAVE to take care of your hair to notice a difference. As the article stated, not every Salon owner knows what he or she is doing. It’s up to you. There is just sooooo much information out there on the Web, nigerian ladies really have no excuse for depending so much on the Weave. The weave should be a styling OPTION not a necessity.

naturalnigerian.com/
      channel4.com/news/chimamanda-ngozi-adichie-americanah-hair-immigration-race

• Jay April 14, 2013 at 6:47 am

I can see your reasoning though i’m not 100% in accord. Hair growth is indeed genetically inspired. I really cant put a percentage on that. I am thankful that my hair grows fast whether or not i take care of it. In fact it runs in my family. Compared to my friends who take care of their hair, go natural, use bio products and what have you, my hair grows effortlessly and am often cursed out by them of how my hair can grow so fast when am often so wicked to it. Now also take the fulanis and cattle farmers, i dont suppose they follow rules as to hair growth but yet their hair lengthens healthily, I suppose this is genetically influenced. Yes i took into consideration that they probably dont relax their hair and probably dont blow dry either but I do and my hair grows all the same, yes it breaks as normal but its still very healthy. I put this to genetics.

• Chic April 12, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I wash my hair in weaves and braids every two weeks. I wonder how women go a whole month in the Lagos heat without washing their hair doesn’t it smell? When I don’t have a weave or braids I wash weekly. Africa has the highest number of quack hairdressers case in point cousin Nneka after high school comes to Lagos to work at Aunty’s salon and the next thing you know she is perming people’s hair without any proper cosmetology training and overlapping relaxer on previously relaxed hair instead of just touching up the new growth! That is why y’all hair is breaking because it is thinning due to being overprocessed. All these women asking questions about washing hair please watch YouTube videos and read hair blogs they are a dime a dozen on the internet Google Hairlista it is a Hair forum where you can ask questions and get answers and also lead you to many hair blogs to be educated is to be empowered

• beauty April 12, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I agree with the article,let’s take proper care of our hair.

• Hannah April 12, 2013 at 7:00 pm

People are using so many chemically enhanced hair products thinking that its helping their hair, but it actually doing the opposite! I use all natural hair care products mynaturalmarket.com/aubrey-organics.html and my hair is so much healthier than before!

• Titi April 12, 2013 at 7:34 pm

lost my hair last year from a medical treatment and it’s growing back now and the good news is that it is much nicer than the old hair I had. My natural hair now is so curlly and i cannot imagine processing it again even though I’m often tempted. i wash it every day because I exercise but I wash with a conditioner and sometimes a sulphate free shampoo and moisturize with cooking coconut oil!can’t wait to grow it longer and will start taking biotin tablets today.

• konnie April 12, 2013 at 7:40 pm

weekly washing . A stretch if bi-weekly. This hair will start falling. If you are keeping it for a month, it will explain the funky aroma people have been walking around in. Now when you add the humidity and heat of the tropics….. God’s case.

Weekly washes please. U learn every day….

• gem ma April 12, 2013 at 8:24 pm

i actually heard dirty air grows faster dan clean hair o.

• whocares April 14, 2013 at 7:36 pm

lmaooooooooooooo. you totally made my day and i mean that in the nicest way possible. I dont know how true or untrue this is but from experience if i go 5 days without washing my hair it starts to itch so much i feel like shaving it all off.. also if you dont want to shampoo it cos some hair dressers advice not to shampoo all the time, you can co-wash it, this is washing your hair with conditioner. it is nicer and gentler than shampoo (i do that a lot.. and my hair even though i want it short just keeps growing.. ok thats a teeny lie.. my temple isnt growing as well no matter what i do :(

• Lafunky April 12, 2013 at 8:43 pm

To wash hair at least once every 7-10 days??
    Is that for black people? Or was that a mistake?
    How do I wash my weave/twisted braids? Wouldn’t my extension smell?

• Chic April 13, 2013 at 12:54 am

No it will not you can let it air dry or use a hairdryer; hooded or hand

• Lafunky April 14, 2013 at 4:25 pm

I actually implemented it this morning. I washed my twisted braids, which I have only had for 2 weeks. Gosh! my hair was dirty. It took about 30 minutes to get it to dry, nonetheless, it didn’t dry fully. It has now dried. I have moisturised it with Castor oil. I will wash it again in two weeks. Thank you for the tip.

• alicia April 12, 2013 at 9:13 pm

You know that ‘ bald eagle train” comment is so rude and so insensitive to women who are losing their hair or have lost it already.

• Anon April 12, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Nigerian girls need to have mercy on their Nigerian boyfriends oh. With the funky hair smell you give them daily. Abeg, wash your hair every 1-2 weeks

• funky April 12, 2013 at 9:43 pm

@justmii what is the medical condition…please share if you don’t mind.

• justmii April 16, 2013 at 9:20 pm

I have a condition called PCOS, the symptoms are similar to hypothyrodism so when i started noticing the weight gain and hair loss general practitioner i went to then did blood work on my thyroid and everything came back fine. I went to my ob/gyn recently and this was discovered and it made so much sense. I have relaxed hair but prior to this I have never had problems with the length of my hair, it was nice length. My sister has natural hair and washes it weekly and deep conditons it as well but even with my medical condition my “processed hair” is still longer than hers. I believe it boils down to genetics, health and a little bit of care; wether relaxed or natural.

• Lin April 12, 2013 at 10:27 pm

My dear all these na long story. Nigerian babes need to learn how to carry their natural hair. All these hot irons, curling iron, touch up, relax and co it’s not good for our hair. If we go natural, all those money and hair products we use in taking care of the horse hair we have on our head will be minimized when carrying our natural hair. Moreover, you can wash your natural hair anytime you want and use good products that will not cost as much as when one is carrying fake hair.
    My dear fellow naija babes make we try go natural. Trust me your hair will thank you.

• 27monthsnatural April 13, 2013 at 2:35 am

This article needs a little more information, I am glad nigerians are beginning to care about their own hair, and not just the brazilian weaves, but this article is a bit too vague. Also, it is “LOSE” not ‘loose”.
    Number 1 thing to point out is, everyone’s hair grows, no matter what you do, your hair will grow, now the reason why it may seem like it is not growing is because you are not retaining the length, because your hair is breaking off!
    Number 1 thing is moisture moisture moisture… our hair is dry, we need moisture…
    Number 2 our hair is fragile…relaxers are only going to break our hair… now, it is possible to have long relaxed hair, you just have to take care of it more than you would if it were natural, because relaxers also dry out your hair… But so many nigerian women do not know anything about hair care, so I feel like it would be almost impossible for them to have healthy relaxed hair.
    There is a wealth of information on the internet, especially youtube about black hair care! It’s never too late to learn about your hair and grow your hair, information, healthy hair practices and patience, that’s all you need.

• Joan Wyld April 13, 2013 at 3:47 am

To me a fair bit of this hair care stuff comes down to common sense, and I guess our mothers give us a start here.

We must remember that hair is protein and dead. So the condition of the ends of your hair can depend on your environment and/or your general health when that part of your hair was being produced in the hair follicle.

I agree, some hair stylers don’t seem to realize that it is your hair! and snip a bit too much. I guess the rest of the equation is that “hair care” products are really about disguise.

• ayomipo April 13, 2013 at 12:21 pm

m.wikihow.com/Grow-Long-Hair-if-You-Are-a-Black-Female

• Subomi Douglas April 13, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Learn from fulani women. They have healthy long natural hair.

• Oaken April 13, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Genetics. Abi how do you explain the sabo beggars long hair? You think they have time for 7 steps to long healthy hair?

• Subomi Douglas April 13, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Kimon, don’t be ignorant. How can you tag Fulani people as beggars. Some of the people running your country are Fulani- Dangote (Africa’s richest man), Sanusi (governor of CBN), Buhari, (late) Yar’Adua. etc.
        Now, Fulani people have black hair and features many people tend to prefer. I think the reason why they maintain and have long natural hair is because they value beauty (they wear tattoes, a lot of jewelry, etc) but in their own way and still maintain their old beauty traditions regardless of society’s beauty ideals. I also believe anyone who understands their real hair and takes good care of it accordingly will have long healthy hair.

• d April 14, 2013 at 12:27 am

my therapy is use sheer butter (Ori) as hair cream, re-touch your hair at most twice in a year(jan-jun, jul-dec) too much of chemical also aids slow growth, plait didi underneath your weavons instead of normall weaving and finally trim d ends when you re-touch and Life is good.

• HU April 14, 2013 at 1:21 am

LESS IS MORE!!

Moisture and learn to take care of your hair.
    More of conditioning, and Co washes instead of Shampooing.
    Throw away the heat aka flat/curling iron and even hide your blow dryer. Keep a portable hooded dryer.

If all you do is do “co washes” daily for 6 mths, your hair will grow like weed!

Signed
    BrastraphairNigeriandontcare

• Specs April 15, 2013 at 5:03 am

True that! Last year…I probably used shampoo on my hair 3times all year round, and my hair grew like 6inches minus trimming. There’s no hard and fast rule, I have very dry hair and shampoo just makes it feel like dry grass so I gave up. My scalp is very clean and my hairdresser (a brutally honest AA) does not complain so I must be doing something right……
      p.s. I’ve got natural hair :)

• Aurora April 14, 2013 at 7:13 am

@HU…..what do you mean by ‘co washes’?

• Chic April 14, 2013 at 11:30 pm

washing hair with just conditioner no shampoo

• Wendy April 15, 2013 at 5:06 am

the abbreviated past participle of ‘co wash”…hehehehe.
      n.b. COndition WASH: washing your hair with a conditioner as opposed a shampoo

• Nimi April 15, 2013 at 7:59 am

Co-washing is washing your hair with Conditioner instead of Shampoo. Shampoos caan be quite harsh to your hair by stripping it of moisture in the process of cleaning it. So co-washing is basically washing your hair with conditioner to prevent it being stripped of moisture. Instead of co-washing you could pre-poo your hair before washing it with a shampoo. A pre-poo is basically a preparation for a Shampoo by treating your hair with oils so that the Shampoo does not strip all the oil out of your hair.

• sara April 14, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Good and useful information about Natural Hair Growth thanks for sharing it.

Natural Hair Growth

• Teddy Bear April 14, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Haha! These comments are hilarious! How about we just do away with weave, period and start taking care of and taking pride in our own hair?! We’d put these Asian and European companies out of business! I disagree with the article though. The skin of your scalp and face are not the same. Personally, I wash my hair every 2 weeks. It is very thick. so washing every week is not an option for me. One of the funniest things to me is we have resources; inexpensive natural resources in our backyards to maintain healthy hair but we succumb to foreign products that do more damage than good. A perfect example is shea butter, colloquially known as “ORI”. I use it on my scalp and it is marvelous! I lust it. I use leave-in conditioners, water and sometimes jojoba oil to moisturize my hair daily. Very simple products, but they work wonders. I have a love hate relationship with my hair but I am progressively taking better care of it and I look forward to progress; weaveless!!! I just love African hair! We need to collectively do a better job of taking care of and taking pride in our own!

• Ame April 15, 2013 at 7:20 am

@Lafunky: Kudos to to you for washing your Twists. I should point out though, that Castor Oil does not moisturise your hair. Natural Oils seal Moisture in. They do not actually moisturise your hair.

Here is a Link with a couple of suggestions of Moisturisers you can use.

blackgirllonghair.com/2012/10/the-4-best-moisturizers-for-thick-dry-natural-hair/

Good ole; Aloe Vera juice mixed with water never lets me down :-)

• Unamennnn April 15, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Thank you so much guys. I have learned a whole lot from the feedback comments and the article. This my hair must grow by fire and force! lol Thank you all

• 27monthsnatural April 16, 2013 at 2:02 am

@HU… Cowashing is only good for certain people…what works for your hair may not necessarily work for others…
    What is important is this… for you to be able to take care of your hair, you need to know your hair… questions and tests to perform are
    porosity test (the porosity of your hair is very important because your hair’s porosity is the measure of its ability to absorb and hold onto moisture…)
    If you do not figure this out, you could be experiencing excessive dryness which leads to breakage…
    In other words, you will need to experiment with your hair, do a porosity test… and see how your hair feels every time you try something new…
    Oh also go natural!!!

• PJ April 16, 2013 at 2:30 pm

we also forget the fact that having long hair can be genetic. I have got extremely long hair which I inherited from my dad, still I have to take care of it. I wash my hair every 2 weeks only in the salon done by a professional, I try to wrap my hair every night to prevent using curling or flat iron and to allow the natural oil from my scalp moisten my hair.

• PJ April 16, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I also realise that most nigerians go to bed without protecting their hair, the cotton pillow case will suck out every moisture from your hair leaving it dry. always wear a satin cap or better still use a satin pillow case. pls avoid sleeping with hair nets on

• Hair Growth April 17, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I think these factors are really helpful to us. Every one keep in mind these factors because by the help of it you can get stunting hair growth.

• jay April 17, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I’m really suprised that most women in Nigeria, don’t think their hair can’t grow past shoulder length. I totally agree with the writer.It all begins with getting the proper education and information. All you have to do is go to YOUTUBE, type in “taking care of black relaxed hair” and you’ll be amazed at the hundreds of videos that you’ll see. Telling you how to take care of black hair etc. I’m glad i’m no longer naive , plus i started taking better care of my hair. My hair has never been so healthy . Started my hair journey at shoulder length and it’s already past my shoulder length in less than 3 months, all i did was follow the instructions on YOUTUBE and some black hair blogs. Yes!! we can have beautiful, long hair and stop wasting thousands of naira for human hair.

• African Beauty April 18, 2013 at 11:09 pm

i agree with everything in this article, but its just that washing your hair with when you have a weave is that the weave may get tangled and spoil. i think the best thing to do in this situation is to clean it regularly with cotton wool and spirit.

• HRS April 19, 2013 at 9:23 am

I actually just follow this blog site of my Friend who’s got healthy, full, thick, waist-long and natural hair myafricanhairitagestyle.wordpress.com/ thank me later ;)

• Lady P May 14, 2013 at 11:15 pm

just seeing this my dear friend! :-) Knowledge is definitely power when it comes to growing healthy hair particularly healthy African Hair and learning to care for it. Even better when you know someone has been through the phase you are in currently, it encourages.

• Odell Jumariya May 9, 2013 at 11:37 pm

I agree with African beauty on using cotton wool and spirit instead of washing with a weave on. This is a very nice advise on the long run thanks bella.