It’s so sad that the issue of having facial hair and keeping it in check can happen to a woman too. Today, a lot of women are worried about their facial hair and will do anything to get rid of it.

Apart from the usual hair on our hands, under arms, legs and private regions, you can find women with hair on their chin, cheeks, upper lip and chest. Women spend a lot of money to get rid of this hair that grows in inappropriate places, but we really don’t mind. Or do we?

Facial hair is quite embarrassing and can reduce self esteem, especially when it grows out thick and cannot be hidden. To make things worse, we can’t even hide it with makeup; it ends up making it look rough and badly done. I don’t mean to sound vain, but it’s necessary to get rid of facial hair. This is because it lets us look and feel great and attractive. You just need to accept the fact that it’s there and choose one inexpensive way to get rid of them, for as long as you can!

There are different causes of facial hair in women It could range from genetics & testosterone to polycystic ovaries & hormonal imbalance. But do not be afraid, for with every beauty challenge there is always a solution. Thanks to science and the evolution of cosmetics, you can now temporarily and permanently get rid of facial hairs without breaking the bank.

Shaving

People always make shaving facial hair seem like it is bad for women, but I read something contrary on the internet the other day.  Research has it that shaving your facial hair is good for women because it gets rid of dead skin cells and fights aging. The rumor that shaving makes the hair grow more and thicker is said to be the beauty industry’s way of compelling people to buy their hair removal products.

However, if you’re still not sure of shaving your face like I am, you can shave your legs and under arms. To do this is very simple. All you need is a shaving stick and some cream.

Before shaving any part of your body, be sure to verify of you are prone to bumps. If you are, it’s better for you to scrub the area before shaving.

Threading

This is a good and effective hair removal procedure you can definitely try and is one of the oldest methods of hair removal, originating in Turkey. It damages the hair follicles which in turn limits hair growth. The process of threading can get very technical so be sure to find an expert that knows what he/she is doing.

Threading is done by rolling twisted cotton threads over hairlines to remove unwanted hair. To do this, the practitioner (who needs months to perfect the skill), grabs one end of a cotton thread between his/her teeth and the other in her left hand. The middle part of the thread is then looped through the index and middle fingers of the right hand, to grip unwanted hair so it can be plucked easily. Whenever you use this method, always soothe your skin with aloe gel after threading, especially if you have sensitive skin.

Hair Removal Creams

Hair removal cream also known as depilatory creams is temporary, effective and painless. A bottle of one is easy to use, not too pricey and can be found in any beauty shop. You can choose any brand or type that works well with your skin but ensure you test the removal cream on the inside of your elbow for about an hour to see if there would be any form of reaction. If the cream doesn’t have any negative effects on your skin, then you can continue usage.

Apply the depilatory cream on the area where you have unwanted hair with the spatula regularly provided in the hair removal cream pack. In the case of no spatula, you can use your hands but be sure to wash them immediately after. Wait for the amount of minutes instructed on the pack and if the hair on your body is really thick, you can wait longer than the stipulated time. Wipe the cream off your body with an old towel or rinse off.

After that, be sure to shower to remove any residue cream.

Waxing

This process is quite fast, clean and effective in removing facial hair. The waxing process includes a glue like substance, placed on the hairs and taken out with a paper like material placed in the pack. Before waxing be sure to wash and exfoliate the area with unwanted hair properly, then moisturize with a good moisturizer.

There are different types of wax; those that come in strips and those that come in a jar. The strips are easier to use. You only have to rub them together with your palms then place them on the hairy section then peel off.

For the wax in the jars, you need to warm up the jar in hot water then use the spatula provided to apply the wax on the hairy section. After that, place the provided paper like material on the wax you’ve applied firmly for a minute and peel off quickly. After waxing, always soothe your skin with aloe gel.

Tweezing

The tweezing process is also good, as it plucks the hair from the root and can be very precise. Sometimes it could cause bumps and ingrown hairs but it all depends on your skin type. Tweezers can be said to be the perfect tool for hair removal, as it’s so effective in removing unwanted hair. It also lasts longer than using a blade as this is the go-to method for most women.

For this hair removal method, you need tweezers (which comes in different designs). Wipe the area you want to tweeze and the tweezers with an anti-bacterial soothing lotion. Ensure both the area you want to tweeze and the tweezers are very clean and then pull the skin firmly; in order to raise the hair and make the tweezing easy.

Once you’re done pulling, take your time, relax (to avoid swelling, redness and irritations) and tweeze. Firmly grab the hair one after the other and pull quickly in the direction the hair grows. After tweezing, massage the area gently with a anti-bacteria lotion and always wipe your tweezers with a clean cloth to avoid bacteria build-up and rusting.

Electrolysis

Electrolysis, which in my opinion is better off done abroad, is said to be the only permanent hair removal method approved by the FDA (Food and Drugs Administration). It takes several sessions (owing to different stages of hair growth) and the result of the hair being removed permanently, is not guaranteed for all; as everyone has different hair types. I’ve not tried it before but from some of the reviews I’ve read, this hair removal method is permanent and leaves the skin clean.

Electrolysis is effective and focuses on the follicles rather than the hair color like the laser process. Those who can’t use laser hair removal method can use this method. It can be very expensive, a 30 minutes session costs $45 and you need about 15-30 sessions to get a good result (so you can do the math).

Also, if it’s not done properly, it can lead to skin discoloration and as for pain (be prepared) each follicle on your body has to go through the stinging feel of electrolysis. So good luck If you intend to use this method, after all no pain no gain.

There it is. The many procedures you have to make sure you don’t need to worry about facial hair again. Which one have you tried? And which would  you be willing to try? Don’t forget to share them with us.

Photo Credit: MaddameNoir

35 Comments on Say Goodbye to Annoying Hair & Hello to Smooth Skin! What you Need to Know about Hair Removal
  • ms lala July 5, 2013 at 10:51 am

waxing is the best…within a year and a half my hair stopped growing ..why? because it damaged my hair follicles which is a GOOD THING.

• julit July 5, 2013 at 10:57 am

waxing remains the best and safest for me. i have very strong and curly hairs. i wax my legs and underarms. shaving can be disastrous. i get the kind of bumps that can be very painful and scary from shaving. waxing keeps your underarm clean and discoloration you get from shaving and using cremes is minimal. also it takes longer for the hair to return. As for facial hairs, take time and tweeze them one by one or just leave those. if you shave your facial hairs or use creme, my dear you stand alone. electrolysis and laser hair removal don’t leave very good results on dark skin. #wax

• AbbyO July 5, 2013 at 11:55 am

Laser Hair can work for dark skinned people. The laser that dark skinned people should use is called the Gentle Yag. I know because I have done 7 sessions of Laser Hair removal with no scarring.

• Cona December 23, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Please where do you get your laser treatments done?

• oye July 19, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Yeah…. I agree. Visit Apples and Oranges Spa located at 10 Balarabe Musa Cr, V/Island. The only spa in Nigeria that understands how waxing should be done. Its almost painless. Plus they give free pre and post epilatory treatments as part of their services.

• Eve July 5, 2013 at 11:05 am

I shave my legs every few days. It is such a tedious work bc I’m 5’11, and my legs are long. But the end product looks good, so I try to look on the bright side. It is summer time, and I do love to wear shorts, so like my friend will say…you got to suffer for beauty!

• giggy July 5, 2013 at 11:11 am

i hear waxing is quite painful… scared to try it

• julit July 5, 2013 at 12:04 pm

it is but with time it becomes sweet pain. if i can bear it, then a 2month old baby can

• Temi July 6, 2013 at 1:06 am

waxing pain is one of those pains you have a love/hate relationship with…

• ella July 5, 2013 at 11:29 am

I have very strong facial hair…alot under my jaw like a man’s own…..Polycystic ovaries but i dont use any of these methods. shaving and hair removal creams give me serious bumps. I was so bad and rough my husband use to tease me he felt it was a man’s head restiing on his chest. I have been so afraid never tried waxing. anyways I tried epiliators and guess what ? It worked perfectly no bumps or serious pains or cuts just tingly sensations when the hair is being uprooted. I bought it in boots since 2010 the brand i got is VEET and its still working perfectly. It is really embarrassing you know, after all your make up then some black ugly hair sticking out of our chin

• Dlapikin July 5, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Me too! I have PCOS so I resorted to electrolysis… It is a very slow process you have to keep going but I see some improvements…

• Cona December 23, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Please where do you get your electrolysis treatments done?

• yrimu July 5, 2013 at 11:34 am

I thread my eyebrows and wax the rest. Waxing is cheaper too. Coz I make my own wax- sugar with lemon. As for the strips, I cut up cotton pillow cases.

• jennietobbie July 5, 2013 at 12:28 pm

threading all the way. haven’t attempted waxing yet :-)

• Miss M July 5, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Shaving really makes the hair grow faster and thicker.

I wax my underarms and pubic hair; recommended it for a friend who has thick facial hair and she’s happy with the results…better than tweezing (for her).
    Yes! Waxing is painful but when I think of the benefits, I console myself and bear it. With waxing, the hair doesn’t grow back for about 6-8 weeks and when it grows, its softer. When the hair is softer, its less painful.

@yrimu pls how do you make wax sugar with lemon? I want to learn to do my waxing at home.

• ucee July 5, 2013 at 4:36 pm

@ella pls what are epiliators.pls tell me bcos this facial hair is embarassing.

• Mademoiselle July 5, 2013 at 5:06 pm

More info on how to get rid of chin hair and mustaches please. It really IS embarrassing.
    Thanks for the article!

• Tolu July 5, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Please where can you get waxing done professionally in lagos?

• Beauty Concerns July 9, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Try Beauty Concerns on Saka Tinubu in Victoria Island

• Tunmi July 6, 2013 at 5:10 am

I wonder how we did it back in the day

• yrimu July 7, 2013 at 9:38 pm

I use a youtube video. Just search on youtube home made wax with sugar and click on the video by galaxy dreaming. Its the one that works for me. The batch usually lasts 6 months. You just have to store the wax in a cool place. Not necessarily the fridge.
    But to begin with, use veet wax, it comes in a round tube. Coz its a bit hard to get the right consistency when making your own wax. So as you master how to make it, use veet warm wax (the one that requires you to warm it before use. I don’t like the wax strips that you warm in your hands)
    Hope that helps.

• Priscy July 8, 2013 at 8:59 am

I use cream and shaving stick…I’m so scared of waxing. The pain ehn….

• eniola July 8, 2013 at 9:13 am

Hair Removal Cream does it for me and I’m lucky to have found the one that works perfectly for me.

• Temizzy July 9, 2013 at 7:21 am

Plss ladies where can one go for waxing on the island that is pocket friendly. This shaving thing has made me tired and the bumps have been crazy. Plss suggestions. Thank you.

• Beauty Concerns July 9, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Try Beauty Concerns on Saka Tinubu in Victoria Island

• Pamper Me July 11, 2013 at 11:13 am

I’m thinking of getting my boyfy and I to go for the waxing(the private sides), its actually our first time. but hez super nervous about it. according to him, what if it’s a lady that will wax him? and she ends up moving and shaking his ‘thingy’ left and rite, up and down, and the ‘thingy’ starts misbehaving, that he’d feel embarrassed. For guys that have done this before, please how exactly does this play out for you when a female has to wax you?

• Dave July 11, 2013 at 2:39 pm

That’s a serious something oooo, tell them to teach you how to do the waxing and then wax your boyfriend yourself or else it might go beyond waxing *winks*

• koffie July 12, 2013 at 1:23 am

Lmao @Dave n Pamper me. I use hair removal cream but i still have bumps n i hate d smell. I’ll give waxing a try soon. I’m so hairy but thankfully without facial hair. I use the feet cream like 2ce(full body hair removal) n den it’s finished. I use blades for my eyebrow, I’ve heard threading is better but I’m yet to find a place whr i cld do it

• Nigeriansabroad July 14, 2013 at 11:38 am

waxing sounds really painful, thats why i haven’t tried it yet, but i will like to try it one day. but for now, i will stick to shaving cream.

• D July 15, 2013 at 7:07 pm

I have PCOS too I just wish I had found waxing when I was back in Nigeria for my chin, I wax my entire face and upper lip and can go for a month without hair growth and that’s because like someone mentioned it really does damage the hair follicle and the more your wax the less hair that grows but for my chin, I started using hair remover so when i tried waxing it men….. tense things…it was horrible. my hair had become soooo coarse that the wax did not work thinking for the permenant laser deal but first the cost and secondly discoloration. for now I wax everything else… The pain is not that bad for those that are scared, if you can stand a shot (injection) you can handle this. for my chin I still use my ever faithful hair remover.

• Peace July 29, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Pls i need a good shaving cream. Tnx

• Cona December 23, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Please where do you get your laser and electrolysis treatments done?

• damson June 11, 2014 at 8:26 am

Pls ladies!Where can i by wax in lagos to use home myself?