BN Cuisine with Sai: Crab Imoyo

Imoyo Alakan also known as Crab Imoyo is one of Lagos’s delicacies.

Lagos people call it Aroga gbon gbo which means “Big claws”. This is a family recipe and brings back a lot of memories for me.

My mum used to make this when we were very young and my Dad (bless his soul) loved this so much and would have been so proud to see me make this dish for him. Its not as hard as it sounds, trust me its very easy, the only tricky part is the Eba which again is not so tricky.

The Eba is made with the crab stock and some palm oil and tastes amazing.

Now there are different types of Imoyo such as the “Imoyo Eleja”, which is Fish Imoyo but the Crab Imoyo is tastier than the fish.

What You Need

Crab
Dry Pepper
Lime
Vegetable Oil
Salt to taste
1 Stock cube
Half a teaspoon of all purpose seasoning
Water
For the Eba you’ll need some Garri
3 tablespoons of Palm oil
The Crab Stock

IMG_1467 IMG_1465 IMG_1472

How To
Clean the crab and ensure you throw away the gill, separate the claws and place in a clean bowl. Once done, add some water (about half a litre) in a saucepan; preferably a spacious pot or wok. Now add all the seasonings and stir.

IMG_1474Place the crabs in and squeeze half a lime into it. Add the dry pepper, one teaspoon of vegetable oil, stir and leave to cook for about 20 minutes on medium heat.

Now take some stock from the crab and pour in a pot to start making your Eba. Add 3 tablespoons of palm oil to the stock and gently pour in the Garri to make the Eba.image1 (1)

Serve and enjoy.

IMG_1479 IMG_1476

Watch video here:

12 Comments on BN Cuisine with Sai: Crab Imoyo
  • chewunski January 22, 2016 at 6:32 pm

HMMmmmmm still my best meal, we all have different methods raw grinded pepper with lime and the crab with onions garnished and no oil.

• Taiwo January 22, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Heyyyyy!! I’m definitely trying this!!

• Long one January 22, 2016 at 8:30 pm

Aaaaaw. Brings back childhood memories for me too.

• Nigerian January 23, 2016 at 5:58 am

Never heard of this “imoyo” food before but ok….

On a different note… does every “celebrity” in Nigeria have a foreign accent? Been in the US for years and its funny how when I go to Nigeria Nigerians that live in Nigeria have a stronger foreign accent than I do its like a status thing…..arrant nonsense

Oga ju.

• Sai
      Sai January 23, 2016 at 10:53 am

Hello sir/ma; I’m really sorry if my accent seems to be an issue. I’m not a celebrity, I’m just an ordinary girl that likes to cook and share what I know with others…I have lived in the United Kingdom for 20 YEARS and British educated from high school to university level so if I do not pick on the accent; I’m not sure what else I’ll pick on. But the most important thing is I have not forgotten my roots which I think should be the main focus here on BN Cuisine. Thank you!

• Noname January 23, 2016 at 10:07 pm

@Sai you should not have replied. @Nigerian said on a different note…every celebrity in Nigeria with a foreign accent. I don’t think she was referring to you. I suppose your accent made her remember. Good luck.

• Lois January 23, 2016 at 11:00 am

Very nice. Very ‘Lagos’ delicacy. Will surely try this one of these days

• xtsy January 23, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Abasha

• Dolapo January 23, 2016 at 2:03 pm

Thanks Sai. This looks very simple and easy to follow. For the life of me o never knew what to do with crabs so o shall be trying this imoyo.

Is the same recipe to cook the smaller blue crabs?

• Sai
      Sai January 23, 2016 at 9:11 pm

You’re welcome; my mum used the small blue crabs back in the days so should be fine..

• Oluwaseun January 24, 2016 at 10:25 am

Brings back childhood memories. My mum is from the ibeju-lekki part of Lagos State and I remember eating this tasty meal on some of our visits before she passed on.

Thanks for sharing this.

• D January 30, 2016 at 9:41 am

Nice recipe, made me think of my mum, she loved crabs and would make this kind of soup from time to time.