Features

“Tales of Vitiligo” – Watch & Learn

BellaNaija.com

In September 2010, BN Features Editor – Glory Edozien presented a revealing series of interviews titled the “BN Skin Deep Series“. Psoriasis, Albinism and Vitiligo were some of the areas covered.
Click HERE to read the BN Skin Deep Series

For the interview on Vitiligo, we spoke to Ogo Maduewesi, a passionate Vitiligo advocate who also has the skin condition. Ogo’s enthusiasm, confidence and drive is amazing!

A series of TV fillers have been produced to promote Vitiligo awareness. Many people with Vitiligo are ostracized and marginalized. The hope is that these clips will help sensitize and educate people about Vitilogo. It also encourages people with Vitiligo to be confident and maintain a positive outlook.
This series is titled “Tales of Vitiligo“. Watch and learn.

Download a PDF version of our Skin of Color & Appearance publication from the VITSAF website homepage www.vitsaf.org. Also join our facebook group ‘Vitiligo in Africa’

1. RMG

March 15, 2011 at 2:01 pm

yay,first 🙂 will be back with comments!

2. Tiki

March 15, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Almost first…:-( i remember reading one of the stories..it was sooo touching! it’s sad how people make fun of things which they don’t understand, but a lesson to be learnt is ‘don’t ever let what people say bring you down…believe in yourself and your God, and the rest pales in comparison.’!

3. THE AMAKA

March 15, 2011 at 2:12 pm

WOW! def have to come home later and watch it. seems very interesting.

4. say it as it is

March 15, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Thanks for this.I have a colleague at work who has vitiligo and i’m ashamed of the nasty remarks people make of her when she isn’t there.The interesting thing is that it is an autoimmune disease and can happen to anyone without any warning.
    Thanks Bellanaija.

5. dzifa

March 15, 2011 at 2:58 pm

intresting keep it up n ple sud learn to ave confidence in dem selves no mata wat ple say

6. Anya

March 15, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Why did they use that old “Dr. Who” soundtrack or was that X-files? the creepy intro makes the condition seem even weirder.
    It’s hard not to be shocked at first when you see someone with the condition but after a while you see that they’re a regular person just like your with flaws and all.

• Ogo

March 15, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Thats exactly what d intro did for you there. Thnks

7. cathy

March 15, 2011 at 3:20 pm

stigmatisation of any kind is not acceptable

8. Purpleicious Babe

March 15, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Wow… awesome awareness, just googled vitiligo because of it.. I hope we will all learn from these videos and not discriminate against anyone whether or not they have vitiligo. It can happen to anyone… God help us to love and accept diversity and exclude discrimination at all times.

9. Ib

March 15, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I hide my face in shame at the ignorance of the human mind.i too am guilty ,consciously or unconsciously and i apologize…thanks for the awareness…we need to be enlightened

• Ogo

March 15, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Ib, u dont have to hide, we are all ignorant of one thing or the other everytime. We have done our part here by educating cos I understand the ignorance of the general public very well, so your part now is understanding and acceptance. Thanks

10. Ogo

March 15, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Bella Naija on behalf of the entire Vitiligo Support and Awareness Foundation (VITSAF), we say we are grateful, thank you so very much for having be a great support to our Awareness and Enlightenment Campaign. Of what impact will it be when we struggle to work and no-one gets to see it or even got educated from it? We simply appreciate, God Bless ur business and your entire crew. Glory, thanks my dear friend.

• Much

March 21, 2011 at 8:50 pm

A big well done my dear Ogo. So proud of you, the bold steps you take and the challenges you have to face. Stay positive and call on me any time.

Dawn.

11. Lekan

March 15, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Sad that people had to go through this ordeal…..Little wonder Michael had to tone his entire skin to rid himself of it

• Gidi

March 15, 2011 at 11:18 pm

if you believe that MJ story, then give me a call.I have a bridge to sell to you at a give away price.

• c.j

March 16, 2011 at 6:49 pm

rotflmao! how much is that “bridge” gidi

12. jasmine

March 15, 2011 at 7:03 pm

I love this post,i was wondering if i could use the videos on my blog because i have always wanted to talk about it

• Ogo

March 15, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Jasmine, sure you can. Thanks

13. haney29

March 15, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Great Post!

14. Chipii

March 15, 2011 at 8:03 pm

This is so good. I pray that we can all learn to look past physical appearances. Myself first.

15. D.O.T.M.H.

March 15, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Very enlightening.

• D.O.T.M.H.

March 15, 2011 at 8:44 pm

oh gosh!! I did it again. mscheew. Pls no pun intended at all. I can slap myself now sef.

• Dami

March 16, 2011 at 12:42 am

lmaooo!! ddnt see the unintended pun untill you pointed it out.

but yeah its so sad…and it can actually happen to ANYONE! It can be treated but not always. we just need to be more aware and not call it leprosy! God help us all

16. Adaeze

March 16, 2011 at 2:20 am

This has taught me a lot. I honestly didn’t know what vitiligo was until now. These short sketches have fully educated me, I was particularly touched the sketch of the little girl, was almost in tears. From today onwards I will start to create awareness in anyway that I can, just to let people know that people with vitiligo are just as normal as I am if not normal. May God bless you all and kudos to you Ogo for this great work that you are doing. The lord will continue to strengthen you and will never let you down Thank you Bellanaija….. 🙂

17. Adaeze

March 16, 2011 at 2:23 am

This has taught me a lot. I honestly didn’t know what vitiligo was until now. These short sketches have fully educated me, I was particularly touched by the sketch of the little girl, was almost in tears. From today onwards I will start to create awareness in anyway that I can, just to let people know that people with vitiligo are just as normal as I am if not more normal. May God bless you all and kudos to you Ogo for this great work that you are doing. The lord will continue to strengthen you and will never let you down Thank you Bellanaija….. ( My first post had some errors)

• Ogo

March 16, 2011 at 8:51 am

Thanks so very much Adaeze for your kind words of encouragement and prayers. Really appreciate ur will to help spread awareness, its really important for us. All of it are true life experiences…. Thanks and God Bless

18. Ogo

March 16, 2011 at 8:50 am

Thanks so very much Adaeze for your kind words of encouragement and prayers. Really appreciate ur will to help spread awareness, its really important for us. Thanks and God Bless

19. Boondock

March 16, 2011 at 11:36 am

Wow… i had a senior roommate(thnk she is ann in one of ur videos) at secondary school with this condition, never knew anyone could get it until today. I always wondered if dere was a cure cos she was such a nice person. More people need to be aware that this condition can befall anyone. Thanks for the enlightenment. Keep up the good work.

20. makioba

March 16, 2011 at 1:49 pm

OMG…i have been seeing this around once in a while and often wonder why their skin is discolored… I really feel for them..this could be so depressing….they need all the love and support from friends and family….

21. Purpleicious Babe

March 16, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I dont think these videos was suppose to create a pity party…(not attacking anybody, pls just enlightening anyone that might have a pity party mindset, after watching the video). Anyways, It can happen to anyone, thus, what can happen to anyone should not be seen as a pity party…It simply an encouragement for someone who has or might have it in the future to love and accept who they are. In addition, it is to raise awareness and educate people that have it or yet to have it that is not what society think it is ohhh (e.g. calling it nemesis etc).
    ( I know in abroad everything is pretty much accepted, nothing is new under the sun in the western world, I know this cos am a documentary freak)..

Eitherway, I think some of us might find it as pity party to feel some sort of pity for anyone with or without vitiligo but has a condition that is considered as abnormal in society…. (i.e. if we know anything called normal).

I will say well done to the team that has carried out this project, it is awesome and it shows determination, courage and love. Thank God for the ideas and love to spread this educative video. I am putting the videos on my fb.

• Ogo

March 16, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Thanks so very much for your words of encouragement to the team. You are right about it not being a pity after feel video but for the general public’s enlightenment and understanding.
      Really appreciate ur sharing this video on your facebook page, wich more people can join u in doing this as this spreads the message. Thanks and God Bless

22. Purpleicious Babe

March 16, 2011 at 3:49 pm

OK…. weird… fb is not allowing to put this up as my profile status…including the videos..any suggestions???

23. mawuto

March 17, 2011 at 9:51 am

try other social networks. i’m sure you will get the message across faster. Fb usually has its issues

24. stinzu

March 17, 2011 at 8:49 pm

some people are just ignorant..i`ve got a friend who has vitiligo and i never saw it as a big deal…i hardly even noticed that 1/4 of his body was a different colour. i dont know y maybe its cus i wasnt raised to be superstious or discriminate based on anything. Spread the message!!!!

25. Shawna

March 25, 2011 at 12:11 am

This is very interesting

26. temi

March 25, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I absolutely love this. its a great way to enlighten africans on things like this, because sadly we can be arogant towards skin conditions. Its very sad what certain people with the skin condition go through and i do think this is a great way in supporting them & letting them know its normal.
    only half educated people would run from people like this, but now they will be fully educated and know its not infectious!!!
    bravvooo!

27. AdaAda

March 27, 2011 at 1:46 am

thank you soo much for this. It was quite depressing watching these five clips, esp the one with the little girl asking God why she is different. I almost wanted to cry. But it is importatnt that ppl become educated abt vitilago and not shun ppl who do have it.

28. Jafar Danesi

March 6, 2013 at 9:25 am

Ogo,
    Great work please keep it up. It is inhuman for anybody to be discriminated against as a result of skin problem or any other condition beyong that person’s control. We should be empathetic, show love and compassion. Vitiligo is a skin problem just like any other skin problem so I see no reason why people with this skin problem should be discriminated against.
    Ogo, I encourage you to give the flag flying untill people with vitiligo are accepted just as normal human being across the whole Africa. Well done

29. Ogo

March 22, 2013 at 3:59 am

Thanks so much Jafar, apreciate ur kind words