News

Nigeria has the Fastest Internet Speed in Africa – State of Internet Report

According to the latest report by Akamai Technologies Global Internet Platform on the State of the Internet in Africa, Nigeria has the fastest internet speed on the continent.

Nigeria has overtaken South Africa in terms of Internet speed. This is coming less than eleven years after reforming its communications networks and market.

The report revealed that Nigeria  has an average connection speed of 322kbps with a peak rate of 5674kbps. South Africa on the other hand has a faster average speed of 496kbps, but the country’s peak speed is only half that of Nigeria, at 2172kbps.

“All mobile providers had average peak connection speeds above 2 mbps, though last place South African provider, ZA-1 was just above the threshold, losing over 13 per cent from the prior quarter, at 2.2 mbps,” IT News Africa reported.

According to Leadership, “in 2011 South Africa was one of only two countries listed in the report with an average peak connection speed below 2 mbps. South Africa had average 442kbps over Nigeria’s 286kbps, however, Nigeria outperformed with peak 4871kbps and average 462mbps per month over South Africa’s 1654kbps and 197mbps.”

The report also noted that speeds across the globe were improving, and that all 117 countries that qualified for inclusion measured an increase in average connection speeds.

Akamai Technologies is a leading cloud platform for helping enterprises provide secure, high-performing user experiences on any device. Based on data gathered, the report provides insight into key global statistics such as Internet penetration, mobile connection speeds, origins of attack traffic, and global and regional connection speeds.

***

Improved internet speed is an indication of improvement in Nigeria’s communication sector. With West African Cable System (WACS), Main One Cable and Glo-1 supporting SAT1 operated by Nigeria’s NITEL, it is expected that as telecom operators connect the hinterland, internet traffic would triple.

What are your thoughts on this report?

Photo Credit: www.newinternetmarketing.webnode.com

Adeola Adeyemo is a graduate of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management from University of Lagos. However, her passion is writing and she worked as a reporter with NEXT Newspaper. She believes that anything can be written about; anything can be a story depending on the angle it is seen from and the writer's imagination. When she is not writing news or feature articles, she slips into her fantasies and creates interesting fiction pieces. She blogs at www.deolascope.blogspot.com

1. Chattyzee

August 22, 2012 at 4:15 pm

If Nigeria has the fastest Internet speed in Africa, then that’s a problem. Makes me appreciate even more those that visit my blog from other parts of Africa. It must be a pain in the butt waiting for those pages to load ….

2. Sugabelly

August 22, 2012 at 4:24 pm

So what? We’re still crawling behind the rest of the world. Our internet speeds are nothing to be celebrating. We should be ashamed of ourselves, in this day and age still using primitive internet connections when India and China are light years ahead of us in terms of internet speed and quality.

• jane

August 22, 2012 at 11:53 pm

ur joking right? u want to compare Nigeria with China or India. Please wake up from ur dream. Those are people whose knowlegde on IT/technology is crazy…. Have u ever taken a class with an indian or chinese? those people have computers sitting in their brains. This is not to say Nigerians are not intelligent ooo, but this field belongs to the asians

• K

July 17, 2013 at 9:56 pm

I normally dont post but I could not help it. Yes I am Nigerian in the U.S working in IT kicking asian ass all day long… There is nothing more in their brain than ours… As a country we are lacking in education, infrastructure, leadership… whatever you want to add… just dont mention brain plz

3. remi

August 22, 2012 at 4:26 pm

rotten liars

4. Lia

August 22, 2012 at 4:36 pm

liars have they been to kenya and Ghana? have they heard of fibre optics rubbish research and what is the penetration of this internet lagos and abuja? Akamai come back when you have better results

5. Oma

August 22, 2012 at 5:01 pm

i find that hard to believe. used internet in Banjul and it was way faster than any i’ve used in nigeria. and mind you, I’ve used quite a lot.

6. brandigest

August 22, 2012 at 5:39 pm

If this is TRUE, then Africa is really crawling. Have you tried uploading a picture format material to send out together with an important document that is needed urgently and you struggle the whole day to that yet the speed of the internet crawls or eventually hangs? it happens every day here in Nigeria. Thus, if Nigeria has the fastest internet in Africa then I wonder what magic my friends across Africa perform to connect and communicate with me. http://www.brandigest.wordpress.com

7. chinco

August 22, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I don’t believe it ‘cus our internet connection is crappy. But if its true (*yimu*) then its a small victory compared to the state of things in our nation.

8. Pendo

August 22, 2012 at 6:14 pm

http://www.itnewsafrica.com/2012/04/africas-top-ten-countries-with-fastest-internet-speeds/ and http://techloy.com/2012/03/12/africa-top-broadband-speed/ these reports were published FOUR months ago and Nigeria is at number eight in the list unless something happened in the last four months i doubt the credibility of these Akamai researchers

9. Na wa!

August 22, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I don’t think this research is true oh! I thought Kenya, South Africa and Ghana dem has faster internet speed? Oh well!

10. Mum Enoch

August 22, 2012 at 6:27 pm

God bless Nigeria

11. Demmy

August 22, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Wow this is hard to believe cos most of the time Nigeria has shitty internet . It’s slow and annoying. I appreciate it though. It’s better than having nothing. I can only imagine how those people in other African countries feel. x

12. zheloyi

August 22, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Why are they focusing on the peak speed rate? The average is what should be improved upon, we are still way behind on the global scale…no need to gloat!

13. Rachael Kelly-Taylor

August 22, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Liar Liar pants on fire is all I can say. Seriously I was in Nigeria this summer and the internet speed cannot be compared to what they have in Kenya, Zimbabwe, Uganda or even Ghana that is close by. When I went to Kenya last year I could watch a full movie on HULU without any buffering/loading. You can’t say the same about Nigeria, I could barely watch any videos on YouTube while I was in Nigeria without it buffering for hours and hours.

14. Person

August 22, 2012 at 8:37 pm

bloody liars. trying to drive traffic to rubbish IT News website. I have lived in four different African countries, even recently. And Nigeria DOES NOT have the fastest internet connection. access. Is it just Nigeria and South Africa that have internet connection? What happened to the other 49 countries? Have you tried to Skype Nigeria from a developed country? Stupid research.

15. yinka

August 22, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Truely it is hard to belief because i have two friends who reside in Ghana and always complain of our naija internet anytime they are in Nigeria.

16. AMA

August 22, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I dont believe in this research cos my nigerian BF is always impressed with Ghana’s internet when he comes around,..and hes used all the networks in nigeria

17. 123guy

August 22, 2012 at 11:08 pm

What a load of rubbish! Who are these “Akamai Researchers”? Are they really legit? We all know how crappy the connection is in Nigeria. Even the ISPs with broadband facilities are operating way below par.

18. Toyin

August 23, 2012 at 2:50 am

This is the problem, Nigerians focus on, at least we are doing better than other African countries, instead of looking at how much better they can improve to be above average bcos it’s still mediocre. Nigeria, should be way ahead than this, I mean look at india. So, they need to stop comparing and take action. Saying the Nigerian internet connection is the fastest is like saying snails are faster than sloth.

19. faith

August 23, 2012 at 9:10 am

If this iS true den oda African counties r sufferring cos even the internet speed here in naija is nothing to be proud of.

20. kunleajayi

August 23, 2012 at 10:42 am

NAH LIE . plain and simple. Nigeria has the worst internet connections in the world!!! While it is possible that the speeds arriving at our shores is high , the distribution is zero.

21. 9japerson

August 23, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Why do we Nigerians always make our Nation as the best Africa Nation. I think this is Pride, thinking even with your failure you still the best. Nigeria will be 52years this year and its as if we are still 20years old. We lost basket ball game, an article came out that we have gotten the highest score as an African Nation. Now again, una dey talk say your internet better pass other Africa nation. Abeg, our internet server is nothing to write home about. It is more than useless. Fix the problems and not beautify the problem because they would still be there, one is solving them.

• memyself

May 26, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Thank you jare 9japerson! When they haven’t even been to other prosperous African countries, yet they are always the best. When one is full of deception, there is no room for growth. Naija I hail una…ish!

22. The Funky one

December 2, 2012 at 4:48 am

Nah I don’t believe this I’m a South African resident, I visited Nigeria for 2 weeks and I tried with different nertworks but I was not happy with the internet speed at some stage was even struggling to open a picture on Facebook which is something I’m not experiancing back at home