News

Steinmetz Pink or Cubic Zirconia! What is the True Value of your Engagement Ring?

It’s engagement season again! Well actually, it’s ALWAYS engagement season. From the Facebook posts to the surprise birthdays turned engagement parties, we seem to be seeing more engagements than Fresh bread sales at Shoprite.

Whether it’s a young hopelessly in-love chap or a mama-pressured adult-boy who has been convinced that marriage will make him more responsible, they seem to be getting on that one good knee to ask the question that almost every woman wants to hear.

Will you marry me?

Ah! Ah! Yes, Seun I’ll marry you! Yes! Yes!

*The tears come down. Then dude slips the ring on his lady love’s finger* *Hug*Hug* Kiss*

Everyone’s happy, right?

Fast forward to some days later when everyone at work, church and VGC has seen your engagement ring and it’s just you and your girlfriends.

Friend: “This your ring is so beautiful o. I wonder how much it cost.”

(Ring Wearer): I just love it! I don’t care if he didn’t spend all the money in the world on this. I love it and I love him!

Enemy of Progress: Yeah ok o. I hear you, even if na cubic zirconium dey ur hand abi?

Now the girl who was simply concerned about her man and the future they are going to have as a result of this new symbol of commitment now wants to know how much exactly the ring cost. The cost of the ring now determines how much the man actually loves her for some reason. The cost now determines how valuable she is and what else the man will be able to do for her for years to come. So most definitely now, she must know. The ring has to be appraised.

I was accidentally watching a Love & Hip Hop Atlanta during the week, you know, one of those IQ diminishing reality shows that causes you to lose brain cells every time you watch them and in this episode, Erica, Lil Scrappy’s love interest was at a jeweler having her ring appraised to prove to her mother how much she is loved by this tatted-up rapper. Luckily for her, the ring happened to cost over 20,000 dollars (over 3M) an impressive figure which impressed Erica’s mother enough for her to give Scrappy his props.

Then I thought to myself. Well, what about the not so lucky ones? The non-Scrappys who can’t afford such pricey rings but still love their women to death. Should it matter how much your engagement ring cost? For some people, the answer is yes because you cannot have your ring insured for theft or loss without an authentic appraisal. But getting that appraisal means finding out exactly how much your man spent to put a smile on your face the day he proposed.

If you find out your ring cost a guap, then you guys move on with the lovey lovey stuff hopefully until death does y’all apart. But if you find out it cost almost nothing….then what?

For the guys, would you be upset if you found out your lady went and had her ring appraised, or would it not even matter?

Ladies, would you address your man if you found out your ring was cheaper that you thought it was? Or would you just let it go?

Photo Creditmadamenoire.com

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Toyin Olaleye is a writer pursuing a Masters degree at the Johns Hopkins University, USA. She’s the unpublished author of “Oh! So You Are From Africa, How Come You Speak English”  and is extremely passionate about Nigeria.

1. M

May 8, 2013 at 1:28 pm

OMG!!!! I cant wait for the comments to roll in. I am LMAO in advance. My bestie says diamonds are a girl’s best friend, anything under 1 carat is simply an acquaintance. That phrase never ceases to make me laugh. She said it enough times while she was dating, thankfully bros got the message. She’s got a beautiful princess cut 1carat ring now. It doesn’t mean he loves her more or that she can be bought before some voltrons will start talking trash. She loves him to pieces and vice versa. To me it means he listened to what his baby wants and luckily he could afford it, so win-win for both of them. As for cubic zerconia er….. kilode. Even H Samuel does some very cheap diamond engagement rings, especially on sale. He no get friend wey dey travel abroad. Lol. Every guy should buy what he can afford (no borrowng money please), and at the same time know the tastes of the woman that you love. Women usually don’t pretend about such things, unless you are blind how you no go know? Afterall you probably have been buying her gifts during your dating period, so an engagement ring is just another gift that shows your love but at the same time your commitment to making her your wife. Let the comments roll in. Where is my popcorn. Lol.

2. Titi

May 8, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Bella Naija, the true value of any engagement ring is the love and sentiment behind it and not the aesthetics!!

• disapointed me

May 8, 2013 at 1:44 pm

• Stelly

May 8, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Like X 1000!

• Errr

May 8, 2013 at 4:13 pm

My friend, are you a learner? The value of the ring is how much he paid for it, simple. Every other thing is secondary. Saying the value of the ring is the love and sentiment behind it is a pauper’s tale. Young girls, shine your eyes. Anything less than 1carat, no marry. Let your man show he can take care of you. If na only cubic zirconia im fit buy, do NOT marry ooo. Wait until he is financially stable enough to care for your needs. If that time never comes, please move on to the next business mogul, married or not. Financial woes are the number causes of divorce in a marriage. Save yourself the stress and dont pretend that the cost of the ring does not matter. To be forward warned, is to be forward army… You have been advised. A word is enough for the wise, and the stupid shall take this comment seriously 🙂

• beeess

May 8, 2013 at 4:31 pm

LOOOOL!!! I die laughing oh!! hahahahah

• Atoke

May 8, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Hahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahaha Sadly, nobody gets tongue-in-cheek anymore.

LMAO

• Mz Socially Awkward...

May 8, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Teeheehee!! “If that time never comes, please move on to the next business mogul, married or not.”… You do realise some impressionable young mind is going to jump all over that and take your advice literally, don’t you? Laugh go keee me, oh!

• Landon

May 8, 2013 at 6:35 pm

You are such a clown.

• BedroomVoice

May 13, 2013 at 11:49 am

Kai…errrr…..ure soo hilarious..but I no agree with u.

• BedroomVoice

May 13, 2013 at 11:38 am

Gbam! titi I agree with you totally..although if he can afford diamond ..he must buy diamond ooo..

3. Comfort

May 8, 2013 at 1:43 pm

LOL! So since when did the price of the ring become that important?
    Women though?! First, you want a ring on your finger, and then, you want a really expensive ring? Una no dey tire???

4. slice

May 8, 2013 at 1:44 pm

it’s all relative. if the guy has loads of money and gives a cheap ring, then that might be offensive unless the girl insisted on it. if he doesn’t have a lot and doesn’t spend a lot, then it’s fine. A guy who does a lot of discretionary spending and still buys you a fake ring, ehn odikwa risky o

• magh

May 8, 2013 at 3:55 pm

exactly! a well to do man should not buy you a cheap as ring! if your bobo is still managing and trying to find his way up then yea he can get you anything..buy a ring that goes with your lifestyle !!

5. Tiki

May 8, 2013 at 1:45 pm

It is true that what matters is the love, but the only thing a person has to give after love and time, is property. If someone says he loves you, and spends the requisite time with you, the next step is to put his money where his mouth is! My ring has to be expensive enough that he saved for it, but not that he couldn’t pay rent and had to borrow! I mean if his net worth is 500k and he spends 400k on a ring, I will knock his head o! How will we eat after the wedding?

• Berry Dakara

May 8, 2013 at 2:07 pm

OMG, can I hug you for your comment!!!!!!!???????

Exactly what she said!

berrydakara.blogspot.com

• Stacy

May 8, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Lol! Very on point Tiki. Not cheap; classy; but we must not go hungry as a result!!!

• Person

May 10, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Your head is VERY CORRECT. Thank you!

• Berlinda

May 30, 2013 at 10:28 am

Tiki, I strongly second your comment…ladies lets be serious here naa ring we go chop!

6. Ready

May 8, 2013 at 1:46 pm

I think the issue of cost comes into it when you know the man has a lot of money and spends so much on his items like watches, but very little on the ring meant for you.
    I haven’t been proposed to, but as we’ve discussed the matter, I often send him rings that I like. It’s better to be surprised, you say. Well, I’ve sent him princess cut stones, round cut, orisirisi…so I’ll eventually be surprised.
    That slight craziness aside, I’ve insisted that I do not want diamonds. Between the blood diamond issue, conflict-ridden diamonds, the fact that it’s just a lump of coal that has been carbonated and only has so much value because of the DeBeers family and co..I def don’t want one. I won’t wear one, but I’ll admire a pretty one when I see it on someone. I’m not the diamond Nazi. But I also would rather not wear cubic zirconia either. So I’ve looked into other cheaper precious stones like moissanite, emeralds, topaz, etc. I know it’s the thoughts that count…but beyond the symbolism of the ring (and that’s all it is..a symbol), it’s jewelry that I have to wear forever…or a long time, and I believe you should wear what you like.

• Noni

May 8, 2013 at 5:55 pm

I can’t believe you have stated everything i feel about diamonds! both my ethical and logical objections are exactly the same as yours although I’ll add that another reason is I’d rather my ring didn’t look like every other person’s. Personally I’d want my bf to give me a garnet(my birthstone) or a ruby (his).

• April baby

May 8, 2013 at 11:36 pm

omg! Me too… I always wanted something different. Sad thing is that my birthstone is diamond (april) so that sucks…

7. Zero

May 8, 2013 at 2:00 pm

I go vex big time..E gat 2 know person worth nah…

8. Drama

May 8, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Hmmmmm. OK, a friend pressure her hubby for a secong ring. She insisted on canary diamonds ;a rose gold coloured ring to wear with yellow gold gems because she had the white gold wedding band and engagement ring to wear with white gems..some may say vain yeah? call it what you will…ok, so we hit the jeweller’s aka aboki who buys and sells gold. Dude checks this thing out and tells my dear friend that shit aint worth nada…its a fake…needless to say, i never saw the ring again and i didnt ask the “what did he say when you confronted him?””.

9. Thatgidigirl

May 8, 2013 at 2:11 pm

I know everyone wants the fairy tale surprise proposal, but my dear what works for A may not work for B. After evaluating my situation, i have decided that i shall choose my ring! I love my bf for lots of things, but when it comes to taste i compensate for both of us. He’s a bit of a eerm…nerd, so i suspect he wld buy a cheap ugly ring not cos he wants to but cos he doesn’t know any better. The value of the ring for me ooo, matters because i know he can afford it.

10. Omolara

May 8, 2013 at 2:14 pm

The value of the engagement ring is the love and committment attached to the ring, what is the essence of an expensive ring that does not mean any thing to the parties in the relationship

11. anonymous

May 8, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I am not crazy about engagement rings, but if my husband to be must buy one, it must be made with a precious stone. i prefer expensive wedding rings instead.

12. Ebunoluwasimi

May 8, 2013 at 2:29 pm

So I LOVE my boyfriend to bits and am a Christian sister who doesn’t even like jewelry (and this has nothing to do with denomination or conviction- I am just not excited about it like most ladies. Simple!). But I have tried to make him understand I don’t mind not-wearing a ring, afterall marriage is a thing of the mind and trust abi? lolz. well if there is a ring pls make it av a diamond. no gold. Biko. I am just tired of seeing those yellow, some bronze, some copper kinda gold. If I am to wear it, pls everyday of my life, help me to be able to condone it. b easy on me folks.hehehehe

• ada

May 10, 2013 at 6:40 pm

sister oh are you a learner

13. Tutu

May 8, 2013 at 2:36 pm

so my bf proposed n we were all happy, i dint care abt the price of d ring, i loved it, it was so beautiful. not long after, while planning the wedding, he said to look for my wedding RINGS, he gave me a budget, i found d bridal set i liked n he paid for dem. fast forward to after d wedding, he kips goin on abt how d “proposal ring” is wasting (cos im now wearing the wedding set) n how he spent so much money on it. btw while i was shopping for d rings i saw d “proposal ring” at d same store he bought it so i know how much it cost (i dint tell him that tho). so now he tells me to wear d ring oh, that it was VERY exp, the price he told me was like x10 of what i saw it going for. I love both rings, d proposal one was d perfect ring, i would wear it anyday, my new engagement and wedding band is just perfect…i mean i found it myself so…but everytime he brings up dis ring im so tempted to say “dude it was not dt exp, so drop it already” lool. i dont know if the goal is to impress me or whatever, but my mouth just drops open everytime….lol

• slice

May 8, 2013 at 2:54 pm

well, it’s possible just possible that he spent a lot on the ring. He may not have shopped well.

• Vicki

May 8, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Lol! Well if you are 100% sure it’s the same ring you saw in the shop, then just indulge him and wear it! Lol! Don’t burst his bubble! But if you’re not 100% sure, remember that there are a lot of popular ring settings out there! Sometimes one jeweller just hikes his price compared to another. Or sometimes the difference is in the quality of the diamonds/precious stones!! I saw my sister’s exact engagement ring in a shop and it cost peanuts compared to hers which was bought from somewhere else entirely and was top tier but you’d never know (at first glance by looking through the window with the spot lights shining down on the ring) until you put them side by side and examined the quality of the diamonds!

• Pearl

May 20, 2013 at 12:12 pm

my dear from experience of interest in diamonds i know two rings from the same jeweller shaped and carved exactly the same way can vary in price. why? the size of the C.T(carat). a ring can go from 1000dollars to 4000dallors with the difference of .10C.T. and they will look exactly the same way. another thing to consider is the colour of the diamond, therefore some 1.00C.T diamonds a way cheaper than some that are just .75 or even .50, the could be more expensive by a mile, am talking 3000dollars different, so its so naive when girls say their diamond must be 1.00 or higher, u just might be getting the less expensive compared to your friend’s .75 or ever .58 C.T. Another difference is the weight of the gold, the higher the gold karat of your gold the more expensive your ring. for instance mine is a .75 C.T, T.W in a 14k white gold. which cost 2650 dollars. the same ring exactly the same ring in 1.70 C.T, T.W, 14k white gold cost 7000dollars. i can easier lie that my ring is 7k dollars and you would never know cos there’s no difference at all except the weight of the diamond. whereas my first ring choice was 1.50 c.T still in 14k white gold and cost 1500 dollars. so you see, your ring may in fact be very expensive hence why he keeps pondering on it. if in doubt, you can always go value it.
      ring setting, weight, clarity, colour, cut. determine the price of the ring. so girls should stop acting over smart with c.t weight they just might be getting the shorter end of the stick.

14. Vicki

May 8, 2013 at 2:41 pm

For a woman truly in love I don’t think the cost of your ring would REALLY matter. However if you found out it was cheaper than you know he could comfortably afford, then yes you would feel a bit let down but that’s natural, you’d feel the same way even if it was a common birthday present you got from him! That’s mainly because cost is associated with quality, and who wouldn’t want the best! Every woman is entitled to feel like her man makes an effort when it comes to her. However if you know your husband loves you and he ticks all the right boxes, you’d probably get over it! Why stress him out over the cost of your engagement ring if you’ve got a luxury honeymoon planned or if you’re about to buy your dream house? Don’t get hung up on your engagement ring ladies! Try to be realistic and practical! Especially if we are talking cost on its own and not weighing it up against quantity because quality/quantity is a different debate altogether! In that case the average woman would prefer cheaper and bigger – that everyone can appreciate, instead of expensive and smaller – that only true luxury jewel lovers can appreciate! I’m mean specifically In the case of the 4C’s for Diamonds and other precious stones!! Cubic Zarconia? Really? Well for those in that situation, I’d tell my Hubby- if that’s all your pocket can provide, fair enough, but when you hit it big, like I KNOW you will (You better!!) we’re gonna have to upgrade!!!

15. Opsy

May 8, 2013 at 2:49 pm

No comment from the guys and only girls are commenting. Does it say something? Girls like fantasy! How many guys can afford those precious stones in this our economy? Maybe children of politicans and business moguls but not a young banker or oil worker from a poor background who has younger ones and aged parents to care for. Please don’t send wrong signals to your fiance by pestering him with the stone you want before he leaves you and proposes to another girl. Leave the engagement ring to be the surprise which it is meant to be and accept it whole heartedly for what it symbolises.

16. eniola

May 8, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Price don’t matter so much to me. For the fact that he considered me marriable* and puts a ring on it, so that some other guy doesn’t beat him to it, shows he’s afraid to loose me and that alone gives him a pass mark from me – i like the thought of someone being afraid to loose me. Appraisal? I’ll never do that, i don’t mind him changing it from time to time as often as his pocket grows, would even mean he has me at heart and knows that i deserve the best. I just don’t think d size or cost of the rock on your finger should be allowed to influence your thoughts. Even though every girl will like their engagement ring to be a source of envy among friends. *shrugs shoulders*

17. Fifi

May 8, 2013 at 3:01 pm

My ideal engagement ring wud be my birth stone with loads of tiny diamond cluster sorrounding it a may a tiny bit of his birth stone in it….

• Mae

May 8, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Exactly mine too!!!
      Are you me perhaps? loool 😀

18. Zero

May 8, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Nice 1 — An upgrade men…

19. Tae

May 8, 2013 at 3:08 pm

The cost should be commensurate with what he can afford, don’t buy yourself a Rolex then give me a yeye ring and tell me the love is all that matters! For me an engagement ring is very important as i intend to wear it for the rest of my life and so yes some money and plenty of thought should go into selecting it.

• Chick

May 15, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Gbam!

20. Ajoke

May 8, 2013 at 3:12 pm

I think I agree with commenter “Ready”. If a girl knows her man’s financial situation and she feels he bought something less than he could afford she will probably feel bad. Overall though, I think most girls will just be happy once they get a ring.

The funny thing about diamonds is that they are not actually as “valuable” as they are perceived to be. Unlike gold, silver and other precious metals, stones like diamonds can be manufactured in a lab and lab manufactured diamonds are far more beautiful than most if not all of their naturally occurring counterparts. There are also other stones similar to diamonds that have better optical properties. The DaBeers family spent decades building up the perception of “Diamonds are forever” and heavily controlling the diamond market. It’s probably the most successful marketing ploy/ business strategy ever.

Regardless of how much diamonds are really “worth”, their value is as much as people are willing to pay for them…

21. My Own Business

May 8, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Alot of ladies commented that they wear a different ring from the engagement ring after they get married…..correct me if I’m wrong but I thought the only difference is after you are married you now wear a band with the same engagement ring (some ladies might opt to wear just the band on a daily basis). At least that’s how Ive seen my friends wear it here in the states.

22. nich

May 8, 2013 at 3:22 pm

ladies hmm……..i pity guys who have time trowing money on women……..

23. Abana

May 8, 2013 at 3:43 pm

I don’t like rings. Absolutely detest them. I love to look at them as rings are pretty but when it comes to wearing, no way. How do people get used to wearing their wedding and engagment rings? Is it acceptable practice to wear my ring on a necklace round my neck?

• Damie

May 20, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Loool! OMG! Are you me? That is exactly the idea I had. I absolutely hate rings. They make my fingers feel heavy and unnatural and I keep telling my friends and my bf that I would most likely turn it into a pendant for a necklace. Perfect.

24. Sarah Adebayo

May 8, 2013 at 3:55 pm

For me the ring does not have a value! it is the life long love that both husband and wife cherished. The commitment, the love, the respect and the support. I have seen people with expensive rings and were married for a 1 year or 2 and started hating each other. Ring does not mean a thing.. it is the love we cherish that is what matters to me. Peace to all

25. Jane

May 8, 2013 at 4:07 pm

How to tell the difference between a Diamond and Cubic Zirconia: abazias.com/diamondblog/diamond-education/how-to-tell-a-cubic-zirconia-from-a-diamond

26. Yinka

May 8, 2013 at 4:11 pm

WAIT A MINUTE!!!!! So ppl have proposal ring, engagement ring and wedding ring…wow…. I thought you wear your your engagement a.k.a proposal ring with your wedding band after the wedding……..at least that’s what im doing….someone please enlighten me

• zsa zsa

May 10, 2013 at 6:40 am

Thats what i thought too…never heard of proposal ring then engagement and wedding band. Isn’t the engagement the same as proposal?

27. Wole

May 8, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Hmmmmmm

• jenny

May 9, 2013 at 12:58 am

hmmm haha

• Eve

May 10, 2013 at 8:50 am

Lol! Wole say somthing…

28. Nora

May 8, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Loooll @Tutu’s comment……….d price of d ring matters a lot oh!!!!!!!!!…..come On….its sumfin I am going 2 wear forever nau….

29. Titi

May 8, 2013 at 5:06 pm

People come to these forums and make careless comments. Remember God o, He can see and hear all that you are saying o! Since the value of the ring matters a lot to you, maybe you have some waiting to do…… And please don’t mind all these girls o, some of them will even accept proposals without rings!!!

30. omonike odi

May 8, 2013 at 6:22 pm

If his name defies pronounciations, means something nice in his language and something horrible in yours or if it, earns you a few misplaced cousins or two because it’s all too common, is the part two of your insufferable surname which you hopped to get rid of or will set up your children to be the brunt of classroom bullies? He owes you a rock full stop! So that when someone refuses to be ensnared by your tongue twisting last name, and says “Yetunde sorryicattpronouncethis” instead of your name, you can just look down at your rock and smile! At least you got compensation.
    omonaikee.blogspot.com

31. Reason

May 8, 2013 at 7:01 pm

The price only matters if you know the size of his wallet, and you can judge for yourself based on what he buys for himself, how he spends when you guys go out, what he spends with his boys, on his mum, sisters etc.
    Those who are running their mouth saying the price doesn’t matter go and sit down please. Not all girls who want him to spend on a ring are gold diggers, or all they see is money. Yes some girls overdo it for sure, but not all.
    It just says something on how much he values you, especially if he saved for it. That says a looooooot about him. I will like to know how you will feel and if it doesn’t speak volumes about your relationship, how the man values you, what the tone of your marriage will be financially wise if he buys Rolex’s for himself and gets you a cubic zirconia ring. Anyone who commented along those lines please answer that question. It is a different case if that is all he can afford, then you sef will not be expecting 1 carat. FACT.
    I have seen many men have flashy cars, clothes, phones etc and see how ratchet their wives look, especially wives who don’t work or earn very well. Stingy men who only care about themselves. Lord help you if you as the woman has a good job. A friend’s boyfriend told her that shey she is working, she should better contribute to her own engagement ring. She has been sending me pictures of rings she likes, my mouth no fit ask her what percentage of your own money are you dropping. Pay part of your own engagement ring ke, that is a bad omen.
    Especially as this is a guy who buys the latest Iphone, Blackberry, Toyota Camry, spends in clubs like no man’s business. Lagos big boy. No one will believe that he has told his gf to pay part of her engagement ring. I couldn’t cry for her, I just wished her good luck because marrying that kind of man will be WORK. Lord help her when school fees and rent comes. He will be buying Rolex while landlord is knocking at your door.
    Personally if he is broke, he is not ready to get married. Simple and short. He needs to wait to find his feet, unless you the woman has the money and you are willing to steer the ship till he recovers. If so, why are you marrying him now. To be married you need to be financially stable, not rich mind you. Stable to be able to support a wife and a family. To be able to be the man of the family.

32. Kify

May 8, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Proposal, engagement and wedding band?

33. jfjones

May 8, 2013 at 9:13 pm

I think that a cubic zirconia engagement ring is only a problem if he tries to pass it off as a real diamond. The thing about cubic zironia is that you can trade up at a later time, if money is tight in the very beginning. However, he should never tell her that it is a diamond if it isn’t.

34. HAAAAAA, WOMEN OOO, i was gonna propose with a solid sapphire but its sterling silver cos the ring is so beautiful but not expensive to what i am making, back to hsamuels niyen o *wipes brow*

35. mia

May 9, 2013 at 8:24 am

I don’t wear cheap jewelry on a good day cos they just hurt my skin, so for my guy to see me and buy me a metal panda for engagement ring, i wont take it. but that does not mean he should go break a bank or use his life saving s to buy it. good does not always have to be expensive.

36. Naveah

May 9, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Na wa o my ladies LOL. This why so many say Nigerians are the most materialistic of all the African peoples JESU CHEI na wa oooooo LOL! Did our grandparents marry with ring? It is a great outer symbol to represent what the heart feels but it shouldn’t determine whether you marry a man or not. My engagement ring is my birthstone and my wedding band is an eternity band made of diamonds. Appraised all together it is all less than $5k, I have friends who have rings triple what mine cost…do I care? I couldn’t give two rat’s tail. The value of my marriage is not defined by the value of the rings I wear. We have a family friend who was given a plain wedding band when she got married, she didn’t care or complain because she knew her man loved her and she loved him. When her man made it big, he bought her a beautiful rock and not because she asked for it but because he wanted to do it for her. The same thing with my mother in law who got a ring that cost less than 200 bucks when she got married and when my father in law because to make great head way in his company, he bought her something nice. If you are marrying a school principal, please do not run around asking for a 2 carat diamond and give the man a heart attack. NOW, if you are marrying a Dangote type rich dude, he can afford it so by all means ask for what you want but again, let that not be why you dey marry the man.

@ APRIL BABY – If you are conflicted about Diamonds though they are your birth stones, each month has other minor stones so though Diamond is your main birthstone, you can use other stones:

April Birthstones
    Modern Birthstone – Diamond
    Traditional Birthstone – Diamond
    Mystical Birthstone – Opal
    Ayurvedic Birthstone – Diamond
    Other – Quartz, White Sapphire

April Star stones
    Star Sign: Aries (Mar. 21-Apr. 19)
    Birthstone: Bloodstone, Diamond
    Planetary Stone: Jasper
    Lucky Charms: Bloodstone, Jasper, Diamond

Taurus (Apr. 20-May 20)
    Birthstone: Sapphire, Turquoise, Amber Blood Coral, Emerald
    Planetary Stone: Emerald, Aventurine
    Lucky Charms: Sapphire, Diamond

37. Eve

May 10, 2013 at 9:01 am

I have always said to myself that I would like to pick our my engagement ring. If I have to wear it for the rest of my life, it has to be at least something that I like. When it comes to the whole wedding enchilada, my non negotiable would be the rings, and a proper honeymoon. I don’t really care about a wedding party, it is not my cup of tea. I will tell you to go to my hometown and pay my dowry, and then let’s go to the registry and sign the marriage certificate. I am more excited about life after the wedding. We are going to have so much fun then!

I rmb joking with my friends and one of them says what if he proposes with a ring you don’t like…lol! I told her my reaction would be this…honey, I love you, and I would like to marry you, but we have to go and change this ring…lol!

38. Miss N

May 12, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Weda diyamond,goldeeeee,ciliva,bronze,olumo rock so far I get to say I do ………..no wahala

39. Purpleicious Babe

May 13, 2013 at 11:20 pm

I haven’t daydreamed that far re.the type of diamond or stones etc…but kudos to the dudes…. hmm ladies can be so demanding..o well.

lifeinstagesdoz.blogspot.co.uk/

40. NOKSIS

May 16, 2013 at 2:09 pm

The cost of things have always been immaterial to me. in my own opinion, it is not how much but how well it will serve me, how good it will look on my body. To hell hell with all the diamonds and stones. It is very very very very immaterial in marrriage. I want a marriage and not a wedding. And i always remebered that my life wwas not a fairy tale and i wont waste my time trying to make it a one. There are better things to do. Cos i know by the time i adorn my mallam’ s ring, the only thing i here is, your ring fine ooo. Abeg how much, i would just snort abeg enter market. Bad belle people. On a serious note the cost of the ring only bothers vain girls, and that is why a cunny guy would proof smart by getting a look alike to impress, and it worked. From the comments above i can see it worked. I have seen marriages without rings last forever, and diamond ring weddings last 72 days. Kim kardashian hasn’t forgotten.

41. Tutu

May 17, 2013 at 3:25 pm

ladies…get the bros 1st then u can now determine which birth stone…u like use olumo rock, emerald, topaz…whatever…just get the ring on it #justsaying I know i’d get some knocks for this one *coversface*

42. Aryah

May 17, 2013 at 6:48 pm

i have never been a material person. Me thinking about the price of the ring na long thing for me. I no too dey like to rattle my brain for all those things. To tell you the truth, if someone sows me real gold and fake/imitation gold i wouldn’t know the difference.

43. Joy

May 24, 2013 at 9:36 pm

LMAO at most of the comments! Didn’t have an engagement ring. Have never worn rings so when he proposed with one, I made him return it cos I know I’ll never wear it. He sensibly came back with earrings and bought another set for the wedding. I wear them both permanently and that definitely suits me to a T. I have a cheap gold band and only wear it when we go away to certain places on holiday.

44. God's Love

May 27, 2013 at 8:36 pm

ROTFL!!!!! Ladies! smh!
    PS: I’m a lady so I’m including myself in the ‘smh’

45. ama

June 5, 2013 at 1:47 pm

LOOOOOOOL I DONT CARE ABOUT THE PRICE. AS LONG AS IT DOESNT WASH 😀

46. Chicadimples

June 11, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Loooool na wa for women jor, me don’t care ’bout d price fa!!