Features

Atoke’s Monday Morning Banter: Tough Pill to Swallow

Atoke

Last week, on my way to work I tuned in to Smooth 98.1 FM and the Grapevine team had Mai Atafo on the radio talking about the Dream Wedding II.  He emphasized particularly on the fact that the show would start at 7pm. In fact, he said “the show is 7 for 7” so many times that I couldn’t wait to get to the office to ask if we’d been invited. I was standing at the door of the marquee at Landmark Village at 7pm and the guards gruffly told us to go through an alternate entrance. Of course, at the other entrance we were told that guests were not yet allowed in. I was fuming, so I was just supposed to be parambulating like a barber’s chair around the place? Eventually, we went in and the show finally started at 8.51pm! Tsk! Tsk!! However, the show was so amazing and fantastic that the 2-hour delay was soon forgotten. Seriously though, I’m really beginning to lose faith in all these events organizers. Can we start taking this time thing seriously? On behalf of all single girls who have to drive all the way across 3rd mainland bridge really late at night because you guys don’t start your shows on time…we beg event organizers… START YOUR SHOWS EARLY!

How was your weekend? Mine was very relaxed and I doubt any outing could have topped the experience of Thursday evening. That’s exactly what I said so to my friend F.F when he called for our weekly recap of activities. On his end, he’d spent Saturday afternoon consoling his cousin whose boyfriend had told her (in a less than delicate way) that she had a little bit of body odor. There were so many elements to the story – her bruised ego, whether there was any truth to his assertions, was he being truthful because he wanted them to be as close as possible and lastly was it too early in the relationship for him to start saying things he didn’t like about her?

I asked F.F is she truly did have body odor. And, if so, why they as the family members had not lovingly told her and helped her find a lasting solution to it. He mumbled his way out of that and I told him that her pain was partly caused by them. His argument was that the guy had just started dating his cousin about 6 months ago and it was too early for him to start telling her the things he considered “bad habits”. I screamed, “6 months ke? The guy is a trooper if you ask me!”.  Back in University, we had a roomie who used to wet the bed and it was embarrassing for her. She told us of one time she went to sleep over at her boyfriend’s place and she wet the bed. Luckily, she had already told him she had the problem before and so when it happened, he wasn’t as surprised as we were when we found out.

There’s something to be said about hygiene challenges and bad habits especially when we have to co-habit. How do you tell someone you are in love with that you find the smelly feet nauseating… especially when he puts it on the couch? Or how do you say to your girlfriend “Honey, you need to go out with mint strips because your breath stinks!”? How soon into the relationship is it okay to start letting your partner know the things that irk you and is there really a delicate way to put some of these things out there?

It can be a tough pill to swallow so you guys should please share some of your thoughts and experiences. I’ll leave you here but I have to say I’m really grateful you guys spend this time with me every week. I mean, I pour out some of the many ramblings in my head and you are kind enough to keep reading! You’re simply the best.

Have a fantastic week ahead. Oh! And guys, don’t forget to order a Mai Atafo suit today! That man knows how to “sculpt” a suit. Ladies, buy your man a Mai Atafo suit today… the “Eye Candy Factor” alone is worth every dime you would spend.

Remember to smile, keep your head up and brighten the corner where you are!

Peace, love & cupcakes!

Toodles!

Photo Credit: soultrain.com

1. Abiola

June 17, 2013 at 9:57 am

Let the commentsssss roll in..tick tock tick tock

• olu

June 18, 2013 at 3:58 pm

the issue here really is communication …how do u tell a bad news without really hurting the fellow , i think some people are just uneccesarilly blunt and its intentional,making them ego destroyers and confident crushers. there are ways u can tell dis not too good news and still appreciated for telling the simple truth without causing much damage … in hte long run u will realise that the interest isnt at variance if we sensitive to each others feelings while we attempt to help them

2. Whales

June 17, 2013 at 10:00 am

It is really sad if family members cannot help one of their own with suh personal hygiene issues. Why wait for an outsider to tell? For him to have told her about the B.O problem, he must really care about her.

3. man of the year

June 17, 2013 at 10:07 am

Atoke i must say, i luv ur monday morning banter its really refreshing. As to the matter at hand
    i feel its okay to let ur partner know cos its brings about better unity and more satisfaction in seeing that u and ur partner can come together to solve a pressing need or predicament in your life.

4. debbdara

June 17, 2013 at 10:25 am

ATOKE I will read ur MMB even in heaven. If you find anything offending about ur partner TELL THEM STRAIGHT the annoying aspect is that they find it offensive&take it personal &they don’t change.

5. yea

June 17, 2013 at 10:31 am

i blame her family members. i can remember when my brother had that kind of problem. we told him and he found a lasting solution to it. i wouldn’t like it if someone had told him outside.

6. Nimi

June 17, 2013 at 10:34 am

Well, I’d say kudos to the guy for waiting 6 months before bringing it up. He even tried sef. Some guys would have been turned off right from the start. I no go lie, BO and bad breath are 2 big NO NOs for me. Yes, there is a delicate way to put it. But honestly speaking, whichever way you put it, the ego will still mos def be bruised….lol. It’s good to let them know, but it will still hurt. Yes o, shame on her family and close friends for not mentioning it to her. If you must say something then one should stress that it’s all out of love. You care for the person and just want to help them out.

I remember a couple of years ago I was at the airport in Schipol waiting for my next flight and sitting across from me was a German couple. The wifey wanted to start some PDA and was pouting her lips towards her hubby and trying to get all cuddly. Hubby did not reciprocate just yet….lol. He remained cool and jejely reached into his pocket and brought out what looked like breath mints. She sha just jejely took them and acted like no big deal. I felt sooooo embarrassed for the wifey. In her shoes I would have just fashied the PDA for that session lol!!

I do wonder though if other pple don’t smell their own BO or bad breath? Me I smell my clothes everyday before I put them on o. Even during the course of the day sef I still check lol. I also have a constant supply of Spearmint sugar free chewing gum! It would just break my heart if I opened my mouth to speak to someone and their facial expression changes due to the ‘scent’ oozing from my mouth!

7. ij

June 17, 2013 at 10:40 am

i once told my ex very early in the relationship that he didn’t know how to kiss (didn’t need the whole length of his tongue in my mouth thank you very much and i wont even talk about the saliva) , here was me thinking i said it nicely , the argument that ensued shocked me eh, in short the relationship ended before it started because i ran away ……very far

8. london's finest

June 17, 2013 at 10:43 am

OMG !

this reminds me of a dude that i almost ended up being his girlfriend.

this dude has the WORST mouth odour ever ! it was terrible. the shocking thing was that this guy was a professional. A registered pharmacist in Europe with a fantastic job, his own tastefully apartment (on mortgage) and a bad azz car.

it was so bad that with the windows in the car all rolled on and the haeting turned on, the car was filled with the strench of his mouth odour.

the funny thing is that i noticed that he brushes his mouth in the morning and uses mouth wash but still few hours later, his mouth is already ozzing.

we went out for a few dates and each time he tried to kiss me, i always turned my mouth away. I just could not bring myself to kiss him! he jokingly asked if he had mouth odour and if that was the reason i kept turning my mouth away, and i laughed and said no.

i just did not know how i could tell him about it. my game plan was to agree to be his babe (cos i kinda liked the guy sha) and then few months into the relationship, tell him about the mouth odour but unfortunately that was not to be.

dude called me after the fourth date and said that he didnt see any future for both of us as he noticed that i was ”stiff’ and we didnt really have that strong ”intimate” attraction.

i just said ”OK” and that was the last time i heard from him.

in my mind i was like WTF???? who gets ”intimately attracted” to a man that has a terrible mouth odour.

and to think that this dude was in his 30s. surely his family must have beeen aware that he had mouth odour and i could not help but ponder whether or not they brought it to his attention or not !

• Nimi

June 17, 2013 at 11:01 am

LOL, I feel you. The bad breath could possibly be a medical condition. Some pple brush all they want but still….

But trust me, not all babes are that turned off by bad breath. I once went to the Movies with a friend of mine and this guy who was interested in her. It was their first date. Dude sat between us. He would talk to her a couple of times then turned round and talked to me as well. He was quite friendly. He didn’t want to let me feel left out. I appreciated that, but honestly I would not have been upset if he had faced only her. The bobo’s breath was a killer!!! For me that would be been a deal breaker. He was a tall good looking guy and pretty nice but…….. Well, not for my friend o. Fast forward 2 years later and they are happily married. They got engaged after 6 months of dating 🙂

• jinkelele

June 17, 2013 at 11:27 am

unfortunately the human nose adjusts to its own smells pretty quickly so he doesnt know. if its a medical condition there are ways of treating that.

9. Mz Socially Awkward...

June 17, 2013 at 10:56 am

My ex used to judge my messy room with his eyes (what? Sometimes a girl’s closet just doesn’t have the space she needs) but would never verbally say anything. I think it’s one of the reasons we broke up ‘cos of his extemely high housekeeping standards… Good Monday to you too, Atoke 🙂

• Bims

June 17, 2013 at 11:20 am

Your own is better na. My own problem is OCD and it turns guys off I think. One toaster came to see me yesterday and he said your flat is too clean. Werin be the meaning of that? Haba. Too clean? I know people tell me that I have issues, my mumsie says me that taught you how to clean my own is not this much. So of course when we finished eating, i cleared the plates, wiped the dining table, wiped the kitchen counter and intentionaly left the plates in the sink, even though half the time my palms were itching to go wash the plates, but i wanted to spend “time” with the idiot. Only for him to go to the bathroom and come back with geez, everywhere is spotless, your place is too clean. Is it okay if i see your bedroom, I said go ahead – he opened the door and said WHAT!!! It looks like a hotel. What is with the matching bedsheets, duvet covers and fancy cushions. WTH!!!! We women ehn, too clean problem, messy problem. Kilode gan

• Chile

June 17, 2013 at 11:31 am

LOL! Reminds of when my ex’s brother told me, the reason he cheated on me was because I was too nice. I was too nice and caring towards him so he needed to rebel by cheating on me so that he could feel like a man in charge and in control again. So I should understand and take him back.

I concluded that the brother was more of a scumbag than the ex and distanced myself from all of them!

• Neo

June 17, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Your own is good na, shebi the guy carried is wahala and went away. the worst are those who think that just because you keep yopur home clean, you shoul turn into their personal cleaner. One has asked me how come i dont clean his house when i stay over, he has a cleaner that comes once a week oh, i told him no wahala but that he’d pay me 50k. Just beacuse I like clean places doesnt mean i ove to clean, there is a difference.

• Bims

June 17, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Neo, that is why I avoid going to a guy’s house or spending the night if I can because I am the type that will wash a toilet first before I even pee. Germophobia things. There was a time I spent the night in the guest bedroom, I asked the guy for a clean pair of sheets. Guess what, he didnt even have clean sheets, I told him to go to the supermarket straight away cos I wans’t sleeping on the bed with those sheets. Lets just say I was not invited again. but that yesterday I was shocked sha. Your flat is too clean like an accusation. Seriously, so are you using style to tell me that you are messy or I should not mind if you mess my place up because it is too clean. That is where you an I will enter the same trouser I swear. As for telling people, me i tell o because i cant be suffering from the odour of your bodily functions while you are rambling away and I will want to puke. Or heaven forbid you sit on my sofa and transfer your BO to my cushions. I once had to go out and buy an upholstery cleaner so I could clean my entire sofa and cushions after i entertained a friend and her boyfriend cos after he left I could still smell him on the sofa. Ugh!!!! I told her o, especially as that Bissel machine cost a pretty penny and she vexed for me and didnt talk to me for weeks. Babe your bobo stinks to high heavens. FACT and not a diss. i couldnt sit on my own sofa after he left.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

June 17, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Bims, you definitely need to meet my ex, I think you’ll both hit it off 😉

Seriously though, life and its many ironies has taught me that men who are seriously into their babes will gladly embrace her particular qualities – whether she can’t cook, has OCD or litters the living room with her pumps after she lands home from work (guilty!).

10. Neo

June 17, 2013 at 10:56 am

On the Mai Atafo matter, i hear he’s styling IK for BBA. After seeing these suits on his show im convincedIK has offended him before. The one he wore on yesterday’s show be like indomie carton.

On the matter at hand, i think we owe our loved ones the responsibility to tell them sensitive truths. There was a time i was convinced i had body odour and i would ask my friends all the time, even when they said i didnt i would never believe them. In our bid to be sensitive sometimes we can do more harm than good. Its best to tell the truth as gently as we can and let the other person know that we come from a place of love in doing so. Typical case in point is girlfriends who wont tell you if your man is cheating, then when you eventaully find out they will now come and tell you the one they and their grandmother saw. In which case, its like whats the point.

• Chile

June 17, 2013 at 11:30 am

• Tolani

June 17, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Ehen! On the boyfriend cheating matter and all other ways of sidestepping issues. People want to remain your besties and don’t want to rock the boat. Some will even tell you a lie when you ask! When you confront them after they say they don’t want to hurt your feelings. In this my old age I can’t deal with ‘friends’ who are afraid to tell you the truth.

11. eniola

June 17, 2013 at 11:02 am

Just love Atoke. Ahhh! it is hard to tell o. I find it really hard to tell, luckily i’ve never been in a relationship with anybody that has either M.O or B.O. One time i was spending sometime with my uncle’s family, his first born who was about 15 had bad M.O, even though i’m about eight years older than her it took me some strategic thinking to finally decide how to put it to her, i monitored her while she brushed for a couple of days, then i realized she doesn’t brush her tongue at all, so i pointed it out to her and told her that else her breath would start stinking, knowing she already had it and luckily it stopped before i left. Where i served too, i had this beautiful flatmate with whom i shared the kitchen to the apartment, sad thing was she had bad B.O, such that i couldn’t stay in the kitchen to do anything whenever she was there, once i had the opportunity to enter her room, i did a quick scan at her cosmetics and i found out she had no cologne, not even empty bottles, with which she could claim the usual lie ”i just used it up and i haven’t had the time to replace them”. My next trip to Lagos, i got her forever living roll-on and sureMEN body spray. And told her that she’ll love them, following week, she told me someone complimented her scent in the office. i gave her a big smile. :d. Once i asked my boss if he had eaten and gave him ORBITS mint flavored c.gum afterwards. So i help indirectly when i notice either of these two. Silly thing is my nose is so sensitive to smell too. /:)

• Karonwi

June 20, 2013 at 2:51 pm

nice tactic!

12. jinkelele

June 17, 2013 at 11:08 am

i have always thot Ohimai knows how to dress men way before he became this well known. Time? one of the reasons i rarely go to events anymore – this mainland living island hoping means driving solo across 3rd mainland and then risking gbagada, ilupeju , oshodi (at least that place is always lit) . I don tire for sleepovers just because of event abeg, i’ll read about it instead. I’m sure the bf in question had made subtle hints before saying out loud. Rather than be embarassed she should be doing something about it. It maybe sweat or the kind of fabrics of clothes she wears or even the type of deodorant. Even incontinence can be managed – u train urself to go to the loo frequently during the day whether you feel like it or not so as to empty your bladder. Always ensure during the day that when u drink liquids that u find a suitable toilet at least 2hours after. Minimal alcohol before you sleep and empty your bladder before you sleep. Mouth odor is not just brush ur teeth, how do u brush, have u seen a dentist to remove plaque, do you floss, do you brush ur tongue, even sugar drinks make u dehydrated and then your mouth will smell

13. aviky

June 17, 2013 at 11:43 am

she should take it as a plus… Her man dosent like the odor. some men would overlook it or laff about it with their friends

14. X-factor

June 17, 2013 at 11:45 am

I guess it is always good to let our family and friends know about these things as it may actually be an indication of other medical conditions and not necessarily a deficiency of personal hygiene and healthy habits……While in school, I had a friend with a bad breath and similar to london’s finest experience, he was everything hip, he eventually discovered that the situation was caused by some form of ulcer that hasn’t been treated over time….the story goes on and on
    I guess one of the best things we can do is to help be our brother’s keeper without hurting…

15. Lavender

June 17, 2013 at 11:50 am

I remember picking up a passenger on the roadside when we were coming from the village with my sister. goodness me! the mini bus we were travelling in was a cloud of old rotten sour milk immediately he stepped his foot into the mini bus. I opened the window and my sister was so angry that she mumbled something angrily about the smell. She thought he was being very rude to be in the mist of people with such an odor. PUBLIC TRANSPORT! but that men takes the cake with all that funk. What can one do in such cases but endure? luckily he was not going as far as town and so he got off after a 30 min drive. Thank the heavens because my sister was about to ask him bluntly what was up with the smell?

16. Dammie

June 17, 2013 at 11:55 am

Atoke you just always make my day with your write ups(me likey)……newayz to the matter at hand,I remember once when I was younger my mom and I were going somewhere with the driver,the car stopped and we left the driver with the car to wait till the mechanic gets to him whilst we continued with public transport and along the way the bus picked up a guy who was neatly dressed but had the worst smell ever(was so bad,I thought a rat died) and along the way,he tried talking to me because I was reading one of the Enid Blyton books in the bus and I guess my mum saw that as an opportunity to talk to the guy because all I remember was my mother talking to the guy in yoruba about his B.O and explaining ways he could curb it,I was so scared and sorta embarrassed because of the funny and weird looks my mom was getting from other passengers in the bus but thank God the guy wasn’t pissed even appreciated the “talk” and promised my mom he would try the solution my mom prescribed for him and went ahead to dash me money*wink*. Fast forward to my uni days,there was this foreigner as myself in the school who was boxed up,most girls used to talk about him in the hostel and he was a big spender for girls he liked but he smelt really bad and his was really bad cos he had serious B.O and still used expensive perfumes on top too(you would always know he’s coming even when he’s a mile away). I guess he became popular more for his B.O than good looks or money because most people knew him both guys and girls and to top it up,I always found myself sitting beside him whenever we having our international students meeting and sort of became friends though he started toasting me but one of those days he came to visit me in the hostel and I just summoned courage,first apologised in advance and told him he shouldn’t take it the wrong way but that I cared about him and went further to explain his situation to him and he was sad but not because I told him but from the fact that most people he called his friends and would gladly do anything for had not told him all this while but rather were laughing at him and eventually I told him what he could do to get rid of the B.O and believe you me after that day there was gradual improvement till it eventually stopped and that was how he eventually became 1 of my best friends in school till date.

17. dammy

June 17, 2013 at 12:54 pm

i met one very fine boy during my uni days in skl and we became friends but he had serious mouth odour. Myself and my girlfriends were gisting one day and his gist came up and everyone was like we wished he didnt have that mouth odour we would have chased him since. Apparently one of my so called friends went and told the boy and she mentioned everyone that talked about it and excluded herself, IMAGINE! The boy never spoke to us till we graduated, i felt so bad!

18. DOO

June 17, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Atoke, you have killed me o!!! Who was the roomie?

19. Teris

June 17, 2013 at 1:18 pm

to tell or not to tell… hm.
    i think we shud all help ourselves and simply ask.
    ask ur girlfriend (or a really close pally??) on a day wen u’ve got ur very pro-active, i’m-in-charge-of-my-destiny mojo cranked up.

20. blesyn

June 17, 2013 at 1:19 pm

i’m always looking forward to your monday morning banters. you always make my mondays and also take d stress off my mondays. thanks so much.
    P.s: pls post my comment. you don’t usually post them

21. ewems

June 17, 2013 at 1:45 pm

This DOO na wa for you o! Out of all the things Atoke talked about, you want to know the “atole”! I salute.

22. Foluke

June 17, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Me thinks it’s best to tell the victim, in a loving way of course!

[email protected]

23. estee

June 17, 2013 at 3:18 pm

I remember buying a rollon and deodorant for a friend who has body odour,before doing the talking.so it’s the fault of her family members and those she call her friends.

24. The Mask

June 17, 2013 at 3:27 pm

I met this 6Ft4 guy through a friend, he was really fun to be around and I started growing a sort of fondness for him. The feeling was mutual, he wooed me and after some months we started dating. The first kiss we shared signified the end for me, his breath smelt like soak away and he tasted worse and left saliva everywhere especially when he was kissing my neck, I never got to perceive him from afar prior to our VERY BRIEF relationship so i had no idea i was in for a shocker. We are still friends though but i don’t think I’ll ever be able to tell him why it didn’t work. 🙁

25. Me

June 17, 2013 at 4:34 pm

There’s nothing like too early in a relationship to let someone know something you don’t like especially when it comes to hygiene. It will save you both a whole lotta trouble. Had an ex who, bless him when he first started asking me out, had breath enough to wake a dead person, i swear it smelled like people just used to shit it his mouth. Anyway, after dropping several hints which unfortunately were not picked up, i booked him a dentists appointment for the works on his credit card. He was grateful for it in the end sha.

At work, there was this lady that had rank breath. I just keep offering her mint every minute till she asked me to stop and then i said to her “if your breath wasn’t choking me, then i wouldn’t be offering you mints”. That soon sorted the problem. Abeg i cannot inconvenience myself cos of anyone’s BO or MO

26. bb

June 17, 2013 at 4:49 pm

I tot I was neat/clean to an extent till I met this dude, sometimes it gets too much and kinda girly ewww haha but is cool sometimes when laziness sets in ………besides a dirty guy is a big NO NO to settle down with. At least be CLEAN ha but it doesn’t have to go way beyond you know the norm 🙂

27. Unsocial butterfly

June 17, 2013 at 6:06 pm

But its seriously hard to tell the one you love that they have any of these stuffs, my sister? Oh yes i wld tell my sis to wash her mouth well so that she wldnt hv MO but wld i tell my gf that she does i think not. But maybe i wld leave hints, like offering mints and buying deo. The one wey dey pain me na with those who hv either MO/BO and they are trying to correct others like really?? Anyway it z important to start a good hygiene with one self-*off to the dentist now-* meanwhile Atoke can i say that on sundays i anticipate the morning banter, bless ur heart sissy! Y’all hv a gd evening!

28. Tolani

June 17, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Body odor of life! Little things turn me off and turn me off totally for good from guys I may have been tripping for. I met a guy early in the year. He seemed nice and pleasant…enough. Then I started hanging out with him often. I noticed that he recycles his clothes aka he wears the same clothes two days in a row. Then I began to notice that he wears his sky blue jeans until they’re very dirty; food stains etc will be so visible on the jeans. This is someone who keeps offering me the use of the washing machine in his house. After a while I began to notice he has BO and MO. MO is the absolute deal breaker for me. I. JUST. CANNOT. DEAL. AT. ALL. Then one day he was complaining to me that one of his female friends told him his jackets stink and he should wash them more often. He was upset and wondering why she told him. I told him she did it as a friend plus she won’t say his jacket was smelling if it wasn’t. Meanwhile I was waiting for sufficient passage of time to tell him that he can grow a bit neater and practice better personal hygiene.

Omo I freed the guy. My mantra is I’ve baby-ied my brothers, sisters AND parents, I need to. E baby-ied and can’t take up the responsibility of doing that for a man. I mean, we just met, isn’t he supposed to have been on his best behavior?

29. Joey Akan

June 17, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Surprising how everyone knows this, or that who had a stink, and not one has any. Back then in school, I had B.O but didn’t know until a well-meaning lady-friend gave me the gist in a friendly but cool way. My ego went to hell, my pride flew out the window, but being a deep person, I understood her motive. So I buckled up and cranked up my hygiene standards. And she complimented me. Now I still look back on that day with thanksgiving. If I find any close pal with such a defect, I’d do my best to let him in easy. Then propose solutions to tackle ‘our problem’. That way, everyone wins.

30. omo ibo

June 17, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Always funny how everyone else but the person with the personally hygiene problem knows. I’m a dude & there’s nothing that rubs me the wrong way than a messy arse female, if I visit a chics house & I notice it is messy I won’t say anything immediately but the minute we get to a stage where we both feel comfortable I sure will bring it up! As far as BO & MO is concerned, that’s inexcusable in adults! If I perceive an ounce of BO or MO, omo I’m out like PHCN cuz that nah immediate deal breaker for me mehn.
    There has been a couple of times in the club with loud music blasting where I had to get closer to females to have conversation & mehn, when some babe’s open their mouths I can’t hear jack cuz their breath is straight kicking & humming 🙁

• Plus 1

June 17, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Ode. You know the same rule applies to you too. Everyone else but you may know that you have MO and BO. Have you ever thought about that? Number 2 with messy arse females. Is it written somewhere that females are destined to be tidy and clean? As in, it is a must that a female must be clean, while you guys are allowed to be messy. If not for our stupid culture that places domestication on the laps of a female child and the boy is allowed to trash the place. I am sure you are the beacon of cleanliness with that nonsense statement that you made. NOT

• slice

July 10, 2013 at 4:40 pm

lol. i’d never thought I’d live to see the day when someone would advocate for BO and MO. Nothing wrong with him saying clean up your environment.

31. AA

June 17, 2013 at 10:59 pm

every one of us must commit to helping rid the earth of MO/BO, this world will become a better place for it. I would like my friends/family to tell me if i have MO/BO and help me overcome it, in the same vein, i have had to tell and help a few people for my own selfish reason, i mean i could die while tryna hold my breath so as not to inhale the bad breath. If we are to share the same space either at work or in a social setting, omo the smell will affect my mood/productivity negatively, we have to do something about it. No there would be no hugs or kiss till we sort that “minor” issue out. i’ve had to buy Sure antiperspirant, Body mist, toothpaste, soap, orbit mint and tictac among other things. This is my social responsibility in my little way

32. Louis

June 18, 2013 at 1:20 am

B.O and M.O..the bane of relationships these days!! i honestly think that families usually tell their offending members about their problems and how to combat it. But I think its the lack of will to apply these remedies and seek out ways to combat it that allows the problems to linger. Some people are just not ready to make an effort.
    That aside, I hate mouth odor and body odor, especially mouth odor..I once had to kiss a girl, to my surprise when our lips made contact, it was as if a LAWMA waste truck had dumped its juice in my saliva,i scrubbed my mouth for 2omins. after that day I vowed never to kiss any girl again until my engagement and wedding day. And thankfully for the past 1year i have been steady in my resolve. Aside from the mouth odor, my guys have started complaining that ladies are now beginning to stink “down under”, i really don’t know whats going on again..Lord help us all!!

33. liar!

June 18, 2013 at 2:06 am

tolani stop making up cool stories!!

• Tolani

June 18, 2013 at 5:23 pm

See me see local trouble o! *clapping my hands*

Where do you know me from? I am only recounting my experience. Talk your own.

P.S.: Since this morning I have taken extra care to shower better and brush my teeth better. We can rid the world of BO and MO starting with ourselves AND THEN being our brothers’ keepers. Definitely not before then.

34. Aibi

June 18, 2013 at 8:20 am

hahahahhahah…..I remember having sex with my bf and he said babe ur kpekus stinks today o,huh?……..I died! !!!!!i lost all my confidence that day, ofcourse there was no round two, but u knw…..it made me really check myself and i got the help i needed. Today we joke about that day,….when u love someone tell them person about their problem in love.

35. Jane

June 18, 2013 at 10:33 am

Lol. Some of the comments are hilarious tho. Had a frnd with MO in sch who used to ask hw men manage to kiss chicswith MO,bearing in mind that shes a chic with MO who dint knw she had. Fear no gree me telam cos she had a rlly bad character…dint knw hw she got around to knwing she was an offender and promptly removed the rotting tooth. Heaves a sigh of relief #coversfaceinshame# Asides that, something of such a sensitive nature cant jst b blurted out like that. In those days,telling someone that he/she had BO/MO was a serious offence and the offender would be required to buy soap,chewing stick n offer sacrifice to the gods of the land.

36. A.E.I

June 18, 2013 at 10:47 am

Wow…..This piece really spoke to me cos i just told my fiance on Saturday morning that i noticed on two occasions that he breath stunk. Once he had tried to kiss me and i turned away, the second time was during our Marriage Course. I took an excuse from the Lecturer left the class and went to buy some ‘tom-tom’. Once i got back i put one in my mouth and gave him one as well. He never knew why but it solved my misery at the time.
    Funny thing is after i told him he complained that i should have told him immediately i observed it. He took it in good faith and promised to be a lot more cautious. He doesn’t have Mouth Odor normally, so clearly he had done something wrong hygiene wise. I also told him he had to learn how to start wearing perfume cos even though he doesn’t have Body Odor i would prefer he smelt like nice expensive cologne most of the time instead of his normal body scent (we all have a signature body scent by the way)
    The most important factor when trying to tell people about their faults is the key word…LOVE….correct in Love. It makes a huge difference.

37. Retrochic

June 18, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Guyz, my poop stinks, when ever I use the rest room, it smells horribly just on sun, I used the toilet, and I didn’t knw it was smelling so bad, until boo came in and yelled, nd said as fine as I look my poop still smells, he now said I shud flush again, then he went to get room spray, I was so freaking embarrassed
    funny thing is, unlike MO& BO, I cant seem to get a cure from it, cuz I take lots of water and fruits, *crying

• jinkelele

June 18, 2013 at 4:01 pm

check ur meals – you maybe lactose intolerant so if you take yoghurt, cheese or milk it’ll smell. then instead of simple consider foods with fibre, make smoothies instead of fruit that way you eat the fibre. try taking wheat bread too – you may need to empty your bowels at least once a day changing your meals will do that. If you make these adjustments for 2weeks at least, if no improvement then see gastrointestinal specialist

38. Tim

June 18, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Girllll I suggest you get G.I consult…not normal at all.

39. olu

June 18, 2013 at 4:21 pm

the issue here really is communication …how do u tell a bad news without really hurting the fellow , i think some people are just uneccesarilly blunt and its intentional,making them ego destroyers and confident crushers. there are ways u can tell dis not too good news and still get appreciated for telling the simple truth without causing much damage … in the long run u will realise that the interest isnt at variance if u sensitive to each others feelings while u attempt to help them

40. Miss Mosi

June 19, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Pls guys help me out my bf dosent have mouth odour but some times his breath stinks not the gutter type oooo u kno the type dat smell wen u just come down from a bus trip and u haven’t talked for a while,I used pattern to get him a mouthwash he dosent use it abeg how do I tell him or help him stylishly…….give me all the tips of eradicating MO

41. jinkelele

June 19, 2013 at 6:33 pm

stale breath – he needs to review how he brushes his teeth i put some tips earlier. also suggest he uses gum(sugarless) after eating.

42. Peaches77

June 22, 2013 at 11:48 pm

If u have MO, make sure u always have bitter cola with you. Just a small bite clears your breath totally. Works like magic. So so effective.

43. ebony87

July 9, 2013 at 12:08 pm

I’m all for telling them in a subtle manner that won’t bruise their egos but what do you do when they choose not to listen. My kid sister is driving me crazy with her BO.I and the rest of the family have told her time and time again but she just wouldn’t budge. I guess she wants a stranger to tell her in a not- so- subtle way.I sure wouldn’t feel bad for her cos i’ll just smile and say a big”SERVES YOU RIGHT.”Ha ha.

44. koffie

July 10, 2013 at 1:39 am

In my uni days, i had this roomie who was rely cute with very good rendition that i envied but she was extremely dirty n dat made her have chronic B.O. It was so bad to the extent that visitors used to avoid her corner. I’m not super tidy myself but I’d never wear a single tight for 3weeks without washing it! It was really awkward cos she regarded me as a sister n when pple began to gossip about her, i called her and started to tell her, my others roomies joined their mouth n she was just crying. I hugged her despite the smell n she definitely started washing her unmentionables n clothes. Her odour went from similar to spoilt pap to similar to Dove. It’s definitely better to tell with love. Btw, she said she cried cos she knew she was actually dirty n smelly. That was for me to not feel bad for making bringing on waterworks