Features

The Lagos Chronicles | Recycling Plastics for Good! “My Africa Is” Presents “WeCyclers”

BellaNaija.com

We’re very excited to be part of the 1st episode of “The Lagos Chronicles” . In this first episode, My Africa Is talks to  Bilikiss Abiola, one of the founders of WeCyclers. WeCyclers is an organization that recycles plastics which would ordinarily end up in the gutters and streets of Lagos.

It’s very easy to think that recycling is not possible in Lagos especially with the amount of debris and waste we see littering the streets of Lagos. My Africa Is finds out how Bilikiss and her team make it work.

Watch the video here and find out more about the efforts of WeCyclers.

1. beeess

June 12, 2013 at 4:40 pm

I am actually very proud of this group of people.. Keep it up!

2. Titi Loyolade

June 12, 2013 at 5:58 pm

That’s what’s wrong with Nigeria. Everything is somebody else’s problem. We shouldn’t be saying keep it up! The question to ask is how can I help them grow so Naija can be better….

• beeess

June 12, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Your comment is based off the assumption that I am actually not doing something to help. Because it is not on BellaNaija doesn’t mean something isn’t being done dear. Observe a bit of calm, all I have done is commend someone’s work. Truth be told, we all need encouragement in matters that concern Nigeria dear, anyway it comes is usually appreciated. No harm done.

• nwanyi na aga aga

June 13, 2013 at 9:59 am

Dear Titi so what are you doing to help them? at least some of us that are clueless can emulate you or follow ur footsteps.

3. jennietobbie

June 12, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Fantastic job!!!

4. pynk

June 12, 2013 at 6:20 pm

God bless them. Whoever said Nigerians are not redeeemable lied. Bilkiss keep it up!

5. rebellious child

June 12, 2013 at 6:25 pm

am so proud of bilikis, she is truly acting and not just talking and being the change she wants to see, may more of us follow in your foot steps and use our talents to better our community, if by force this generation must do great things to better nigeria. Amen!!!

6. Liz

June 12, 2013 at 6:59 pm

That’s whatsup

7. FAR

June 12, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Waste not want not!

iamfar.com

8. salsera

June 12, 2013 at 8:18 pm

bookmarked, what do u need to get to isolo abeg

9. diddy

June 12, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Impressive.

10. Partyrider

June 12, 2013 at 10:51 pm

great stuff.well done to the team

11. NNENNE

June 13, 2013 at 2:16 am

The best job created in recent times in Nigeria. The nature of our refuse changed without us inventing ways of dealing with it.
    It is not only bottles but styroform plates and cups, plastic spoons, forks and knives,foil papers, thins and plastic straws.
    I konw I have not helped but

12. NNENNE

June 13, 2013 at 2:25 am

It is not only bottles but Styrofoam plates and cups,plastic spoons,forks and knives, foil papers, thins and plastic straws, polythene bags. Gone are the days when things were wrapped in leaves , papers and other biodegradable materials.
    I know I have not helped but at least I do not liter and always preach to people around me not to .
    Good job!

13. Peps

June 13, 2013 at 3:42 am

Nice one Bilikiss!!!!! Making MIT proud!

14. Ready

June 13, 2013 at 11:30 am

Finally! I’m thankful for this…moving back here, I’ve felt so guilty about throwing plastic in the trash when I know there are better options for the earth and our health. I’m def going to that website.