News

BN Beauty: From your Door to Desk! Check out 6 Beauty Tips for the Woman on the go

BN Beauty Tips for the Woman on the Go - BellaNaija - September 2013 (3)We don’t always have time for a full face of makeup during that morning rush.

You know, those special days when you wake up and have to rush out the door and don’t have time to moisturize, prime, layer on concealer & foundation and get that face ready for the office.

However, there are some key things you can do or have with you that could help make your daily morning makeup routine effortless.

There are a lot of beauty tips you can carry around in your bag but here are a few that will keep you beautiful from the bedroom to the boardroom.

Start with a Mild CleanserBN Beauty Tips for the Woman on the Go - BellaNaija - September 2013 (1)

Yes, I know this sounds counter productive but it is actually better to use stronger face washes, scrubs, or in my case, my trusty clarisonic before going to sleep because while you sleep, your skin regenerates, reestablishes its pH, and increases collagen production.

Why would you want to strip away all this goodness? The only exception to this rule if you didn’t get all your makeup off the night before – we have all been here – when the 3 meter trek from your bed to the bathroom starts looking like a marathon.

Moisture is GoodBN Beauty Tips for the Woman on the Go - BellaNaija - September 2013 (2)

My dresser is where products go to die. Sad, desolate jars of product literally piled on top of one another, yet I can never bring myself to throw them away (you never know when tea tree oil will become the most sought after ingredient!).

Even with all these products, I almost exclusively use natural shea butter; that smelly, sticky, chunk of earthly goodness works absolute wonders on my skin. It may not be for everyone, but the point I am making is – find something that adds moisture to your skin and stick to it.

Always use your ‘Can’t-do-without’ Product
You know, the one you would take with you on a stranded island if you only had one choice.

For me it is eye-liner; without it, people come up to me and ask if I’m ‘tired’ (it’s usually 9AM when they ask this). Whatever it is for you, use it! Even if you don’t have time/want to wear a full face of makeup, you will find that with it, you feel more confident to tackle the day’s challenges.

Always have Makeup in your Bag
You never know when you are going to need to give an interview, be photographed or go straight to an event from work etc., that is why you should always have a few makeup essentials in your handbag.

Sometimes the walk from your car to a building on an especially hot day can result in a sweaty, shiny face so always have the tools you need for a touch up.

Find your Perfect Foundation MatchBN Beauty Tips for the Woman on the Go - BellaNaija - September 2013 (4)

There are a lucky few of you who are biologically blessed with perfect skin, but for the rest of us, foundation is absolutely key.

I like using a light to medium coverage foundation so I don’t feel like I am wearing theatrical makeup all day. Plus the Nigerian sun doesn’t play games. I default to my House of Tara Flawless Foundation. It is build-able and leaves a natural dewy finish.

Hydrate
I cannot stress how important it is to drink water through out the day.

Our bodies lose large amounts of water each day but more so when we live in a tropical country such as this one. Our skin especially, needs the moisture to stay healthy and supple. I don’t know if what they say about water making your skin glow is true, but I do know that more water I drink, the better my skin (and makeup) looks.

If you have any beauty tips for the woman on the go, don’t forget to share. Have a great day.

Photo Credits: itriagehealth.com
_____________________________________________________________________________________
BN Beauty Tips for the Woman on the Go - BellaNaija - September 2013 (1)Temi Akingbe is the Head of Marketing at House of Tara. An accidental beauty buff, she combines her love for marketing, branding and beauty to bring you quick and easy tips for the everyday woman. For inquiries, contact [email protected].

1. Nunu milk

September 26, 2013 at 10:07 am

ok

2. July

September 26, 2013 at 10:34 am

One question, I wear MAC Studio Fix foundation and I hate how after I have been on the phone it leaves my foundation stain on there. If I touch my face there will be foundation stains on my fingers. Now I don’t really wear makeup all that much and I am not slathering it on like cake icing so how do I stop that cz its annoying.

• Temi

September 26, 2013 at 11:22 am

Hi, thank you for your comment! This is largely due to having oily skin or your skin getting oily over the course of the day. Using a good translucent setting powder should reduce the amount of foundation transference to your fingers and phone. Also, blotting (patting excess makeup off) regularly throughout the day will help.

3. Vanessa

September 26, 2013 at 10:34 am

Good marketing

4. Vanessa

September 26, 2013 at 10:57 am

@July, simple. Don’t rub your MAC too much. “De-concentrate” on your ears and areas around your ears. Also, avoid touching your face unnecessarily and often. This advice is a like a state secret. It should help you.

5. obi

September 26, 2013 at 11:17 am

@ July, there are better products out there and cheaper too. I had d same issue with MAC and I quit a long time ago.

6. reena

September 26, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Novice question so can I use shea butter as my mosturiser and do I use it in the mornin or b4 bed 10x

• Temi

September 26, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Shea Butter is absorbed really well into the skin so you can use it both in the morning and at night. However, if you have oily skin, I would recommend using it just at night and using a lighter moisturiser under your makeup in the morning.

7. Great

September 26, 2013 at 12:41 pm

@ Obi. I think you are so right , i own a ton of Mac powder / foundations which i often not bother to use anymore for several reasons. Most light skinned Africans are just sold NC 45 regardless of thier individual skin tone. Don’t know if its the MUA’s @ Mac counters lol . kindly share the products you deem better ……thanks

• ccc

September 26, 2013 at 3:01 pm

I’m not sure if this is available where you are, but I’ve found coverfx products to be pretty decent. A tiny bit of the foundation goes quite a long way.

8. July

September 26, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Thanks everyone for the answers! Will try all your tricks.

9. Vivianne's Blog

September 26, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Simplicity is key when it comes to beauty. I always advice my clients to always moisturise, stay hydrated and never forget sunscreen. You’ll be surprised how much skin damage you will prevent by just wearing sunscreen. Please visit my blog here: viviannesblog.wordpress.com for more beauty tips. xx!

10. adanna

September 26, 2013 at 3:20 pm

hi pls i need to know aw to get an acne free n spotless face…presntly my faace is scarred wit spotz n pimples n itz soo annoying. wat wud u recommend for me?

• Temi

September 26, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Hi, acne is caused by several different factors. I would
      recommend coming into the studio for a consultation. Contact
      [email protected] for more information.

11. Nicole C

September 26, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Hi Temi, I purchased the House of Tara flawless foundation and I am in love. I was wondering if House of Tara stocked any big ‘kabuki’ style foundation brushes so i can use a light setting powder over my foundation like you suggested above? I have pretty oily skin like a few of my fellow commenters lol. Many thanks!

• Temi

September 26, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Hi Nicole, thanks for your comment. For long wear – a regular wide head powder brush will achieve the same finish with a setting powder and we stock those! We also have buff brushes with full heads which are the perfect size for your handbag. Also remember to always use a brush with sable hair and not synthetic hair 🙂

12. Ng

September 26, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Do u have any reseller in onitsha

• Temi

September 27, 2013 at 9:32 am

Yes we do. Call us on 08022922922!

13. anne-nicole smith

September 26, 2013 at 11:51 pm

hi wat sunscreen would you advise, cos most of them make me
    break-out..i just wasted money recently on khiels sunscreen, stuff
    made me breakout

14. Marian

September 27, 2013 at 10:44 am

I just want to add that for women who are acne prone, opt for cosmetic products that are non-comedogenic so that you avoid any breakouts. 🙂

15. Vivianne's Blog

September 27, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Hello Anne-Nicole-Smith,you are most likely reacting to the titaniumdioxide in the sunscreen. Why not try a moisturising lotion that contains SPF. Clean and Clear makes a lovely one with SPF 15 so does Boots Botanicals.

16. kika

September 27, 2013 at 3:56 pm

nyce

17. queenbee

September 29, 2013 at 8:52 pm

how do i get tara foundation plus hw do i knw my color

18. Emma gregor

October 3, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Thanks for these helpful tips, but i have a question for you, if you can just help me with that.
    I want to ask that “I put DEBORAH LIPPMANN’s cream which has
    broad-spectrum SPF 25 in it, every morning to protect my hands from sun’s harmful rays, so is it like OK to leave the cream for whole day or can i wash it when there is no sun out there?”
    Thanks in advance. xoxo