News

Theresa Omoronyia: Religion Versus Common Sense

I sometimes wonder if religion somehow affects the ability of people to reason. There are lots of papers on the internet that seem to agree that it does.  And looking at the way some religious people behave in Nigeria, it is enough confirmation that sometimes religion affects their common sense. A typical example is the case of the ChildNotBride issue. Isn’t it absolutely mind-boggling that with all the health, economic and societal problems that this practice causes, some people still staunchly defend it on the basis of religion? But Senator Yerima isn’t the only one who has used Holy Scriptures to justify wrong doing. History is full of examples of men and women who have done just that, from Islamic jihads against ‘infidels’, to the Christian Crusades against Jews and Muslims, genocides, slavery, racism, etc. While many of us will condemn what our ancestors and even religion did many years ago, somehow we unconsciously repeat similar acts today.

I remember the first time I earned a decent wage. Out of appreciation for God’s goodness and as my religious duty, I took out my tithe first. As some of you know, a tithe is one-tenth of your net income and is actively encouraged in many churches. So I took out that amount first and then began to organize my budget for that month. After sorting out my bills, I was left with very little money for my family. As the eldest child in my family, it was my responsibility at that time, to take care of my younger ones especially since my single parent mom could not handle everything herself.  The money left for them was far less than my tithe. I was confused on what to do. Should I give less than one-tenth of my money as tithe so I can help my family better, would this not be a sin? Or should I stick to the law of tithing and let my family suffer?

When my atheist roommate innocently asked what I was going to do with my first salary, and I told him, he was aghast! He berated me for even thinking of starving my family all because I wanted to fulfil a religious law. After trying very hard to make me see reason without any success, he cried out in frustration “you religious people are nuts! So you think your God will prefer you to starve your family just because He wants you to keep His law?”  That did the trick. I knew my roommate was right, I gave less tithes and increased my family’s allowances.

It may have been an atheist asking the question, but somehow I feel God sometimes asks similar questions, such as:

Do you think by oppressing someone and denying them their rights, you are fulfilling my law?
Do you think that by killing ‘infidels’ with the sword and with hateful speech, you are making me happy?
Do you think that by ignoring your hungry neighbour and giving your tithes to an already wealthy church, you are making me happy?
Do you think that by keeping quiet in the face of injustice, yet attend church/mosque daily, you are making me happy

Like me, I think many people get confused about keeping religious laws and the way they should treat people. These laws are meant to aid us in our relationships with others not destroy them. The New Testament is full of examples of occasions when Jesus broke the law to help others. He placed the welfare of people far above religious laws. He often criticized the Pharisees, the teachers of the law, who often oppressed people in the name of the Law. In fact He told them at one time that the summary of all the religious laws was to love God and to love our neighbours as ourselves. Neighbour being a term to refer to anyone and everyone.

Do you know why God values people and wants us to even ‘break’ His law for the good of others? It’s because each person, from the richest to the poorest, is God’s precious child. I’ll give you an example. Suppose a mother tells her gate man not to open the gate for her wayward only son when he comes home late at night, in order to teach him a lesson. Now this son returns on a particular night at a very late hour, and unlike before, his knocks on the gate are more frantic and he is panic-stricken. He begs the gate man saying there are armed men who are chasing him and will kill him if they catch him. What should the gate man do, obey Madam’s instruction and allow the boy to be killed, or break Madam’s law, and save the young man’s life?

You will agree with me that the Madam would want the gate man to break her law to save her only son’s life. I don’t think she will be happy to discover her son’s dead body the next day, simply because the gate man wanted to obey her law. That is the same way God wants us to behave. Yes religious laws are made to guide and teach, but they should not be used as an excuse to oppress others or ignore the needs of the less privileged. Remember if you help even the least person, by ‘breaking’ a religious law, you are helping God’s beloved child. On the Judgement Day, I don’t think God will ask you how many laws you kept but He will ask

“I was hungry, did you feed me? I was thirsty, naked, in need,…etc, did you help me?” Matthew 25:31-46 (paraphrased).

What do you think?

Photo Credit: worldfashionportal.com

_______________________________________________________________________________
Theresa Omoronyia is a trained business analyst and has degrees in Management Science and Computer Science. She lives in Glasgow, UK with her husband and son. Theresa enjoys being with people and her passion is to help those who are hurting. Please visit her blog for inspiration and motivation at http://thesisterskeeper.blogspot.co.uk

I think everyone has unique attributes to make a positive impact in this world. I hope my articles encourage people to "think right, feel right and do right". Professionally I am a trained business analyst with degrees in Management Science and Computer Science. I am happily married with children. I blog at http://thesisterskeeper.blogspot.co.uk

1. marks

October 9, 2013 at 11:36 am

please you can like to stop misleading people mbok… i’m sick of all these religious rants..if u let an atheist mislead u then you were never a real christian.

• AA

October 9, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Wow!!! You just completely missed her point and decided to act like a pharisee.. Some christian you are. Note that your kind will never lead people to Jesus. Na you dey drive them from Jesus sef

• marks

October 9, 2013 at 2:45 pm

see who is not judging.. who is the “Pharisee” now?

2. DocDeola

October 9, 2013 at 11:38 am

Brilliant, succintly put. Laws are created for lawyers to manipulate and abuse, lol…..

3. elleven45

October 9, 2013 at 11:39 am

What I think? Let me tell you what I know First of all I
    don’t know if you forgot to mention that Satan himself Made use of
    the scriptures too to suite himself, so whatever anyone is Doing
    today is not new regarding it. And please remind me again where in
    the scriptures that we are imposed To give tithe or rather make it
    10% of our salary? The bible made it clear that God’s law are not
    burdensome And he knows we are imperfect that’s why we can ask for
    forgiveness and he will forgive us. I think we should focus on the
    sins the people commit everyday which we have no excuse to such as
    Fornication, stealing, hatred, killing, men who lie with men. That
    being said, nice write up btw. Meanwhile we’re back on

• Ides of March

October 13, 2013 at 7:36 am

Malachi 3:10

4. Seyi

October 9, 2013 at 11:53 am

I have never tithed in my life. Like never, ever, ever and
    I have always moved from strength to strength income wise.
    Increments that leave me speechless and more grateful. The Lord is
    definitely shining His Blessings and Grace upon me. All that scare
    tactics preaching about tithing does not faze me one bit. I take
    care of my family every month, donate to charity every month, give
    out my time with regular volunteering. I give out old clothes, take
    food to food banks. One homeless guy near where I live we have
    become chatting buddies, despite the strange looks that I get. I
    don’t give him any money though even though he asks. I give food
    and buy him clothes instead and I am trying to persuade him to get
    some help for his addiction. Aint got any time to give money to
    some church where the Pastor and his family have luxuries I cannot
    yet afford. The Lord knows who is worshipping Him in spirit and in
    truth. Tithing does not give you a pass from disobeying other laws.
    A friend of mine the greatest voltron of tithing that I know is one
    of the greatest hypocrites too. Shady business practices that he
    engages in and yet he tithes. The Lord is not mocked.

• Kia

October 9, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Of course u will see increase becos you are sowing, what you’re tithe does is; 1) shows that you acknowledge that God is your source. 2) it preserves you and all things that belongs to you. 3) it opens you up to revelational knowledge of Gods word. 4) the devourer is rebuked on your behalf. So you will see increase from your seed but check how many times you fall ill, go to mechanic etc. it might surprise you.

• Seyi

October 9, 2013 at 4:06 pm

You didn’t read the part where I said scare tactis do not work with me. I drive a brand new car thank you very much. Never been to a mechanic in my life. Falling ill, noring like that in my life. What other thing do you want to scare me with. Mschew

• jcsgrl

October 9, 2013 at 3:31 pm

@ Seyi I hear you on the no tithing bit. You should not be scared or manipulated into obeying God’ commandment…not saying that tithing is. I’ve stopped tithing and instead I give. I give as I can. I help my family and I also give to my local church. But lately, I want to broaden my giving to other charities and to individuals in need. I’m not bound by that 10%. However, as a member of God’s family, I have a desire not obligation to help out. I want to come to church and AC is working and rent is paid. Na my money dem go use pay for am. The pastor and other church staff need to be paid as well. Where will the money come from? So I give to support the work of the ministry but I’m not bound by 10%. If I fit give 1%, I do it. God sees my heart and honors my giving. That’s all that matters.

• Seyi

October 9, 2013 at 4:08 pm

“God sees my heart and honors my giving. That’s all that matters.”. Thank you. At least you didnt buy into the brian washing crap that I go to the mechanic more or I wil be ill.

• The Real Madam the Madam

October 10, 2013 at 2:57 pm

I love this comment by JCSgrl.

5. franca

October 9, 2013 at 11:54 am

awwwwww, I love this article so much. Its about time we
    Africans put this whole “religious hypocrisy” thing aside and take
    actions. I just started earning my very scanty national service
    allowance which cannot last for more than a week and for two months
    I have not been able to pay my tithe. I have been struggling with
    the guilt until I read this article. After taking your tithe out,
    you need to budget for every Sunday’s offertory too you know that
    right? Only for some Pastors to live luxurious lives. My salary is
    no where near enough for myself. Its a very good topic and we need
    to start talking about it. I am sharing this link on my facebook
    wall and I hope people begin to reason more after reading it. Thank
    you very much for this..

6. EfKay

October 9, 2013 at 11:58 am

This is what happens when people see Christianity as
    religion instead of faith. In other words, I think it would have
    been better if she gave the full tithes and trusted God to fulfill
    the promise that comes with tithing and provide for her family. I
    don’t think one should be concerned that the church one tithes to
    is wealthy or not as long as it is where you feed spiritually. Do
    it as unto God and trust him to bless you to the point of helping
    the needy. It really isn’t as complex as all these discussions make
    it sound once you understand that Christianity is faith-based not
    logic-based. #MyOpinion

• Mz Socially Awkward...

October 9, 2013 at 5:01 pm

God blesseth thee, EfKay, God blesseth thee. There’s a very disproportionate practice of religion as against faith. And that’s what I got from the opening 3 paragraphs of this article – how did the initial lines about people using Holy Scripture for wrongdoing develop into a narrative about tithing?

Theresa, that’s good for you if you saw reason to do something which you believed would be better off for your family but I have to stress that if your flatmate had to talk you out of doing something you initially planned to do, you just might have been practising religion and not actually exercising faith. Yes, we’ve all been there but let’s not confuse one practise with the other. And you’ll find abundant examples in the bible regarding how faith has worked out for people through the ages.

Plus dare I say that you or anyone else should have no confusion when it comes to keeping God’s laws, whether about tithing or otherwise (notice how I didn’t call them religious laws) because all that’s required is a reading of the bible? If we want to know what God’s will or desire for humanity is, just read His word. As simple and as basic as that but we all fail when it comes to doing our own little part of the equation.

Oh and your last example about the gateman and his Madam – I’m completely lost. Is the madam supposed to be God? So, that’s God telling someone to not do something and you saying He’ll be okay with it if you honestly believe what you’re going to do will be worth it in the end?

Ladies and gentlemen, know your God, that’s all I can say. Know Him, know His laws, know exactly what He wants from YOU.

7. cakesense

October 9, 2013 at 12:02 pm

A lot of us are so indoctrinated we find it hard to think or move against the tide of the doctrines we learned from our mother’s knees. Personally I have struggled and am still struggling with a lot of religious doctrines. Jesus came to Set Us free From The bond Of law (religion). Jesus Christ Also Asks Us the Same question in Luke 14:1-6. He Healed A Man with Dropsy on The Sabbath And Seeing That The Pharisees Looked At Him Funny , Asked Them Which Of Them Would Leave His Donkey Or Ox In a Pit Should It Fall In One or Would They Pull Out The Animal?…

8. linda

October 9, 2013 at 12:03 pm

silly write up,keep your opinion to yourself,am sure u re as miserable as your first tithe

9. linda

October 9, 2013 at 12:07 pm

i give my tithe nd it has been working out 4 me,so dnt come here and start saying nonsense.agbaya u sitdon for uk dey talk nonsense oniranu

• Bleed blue

October 9, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Wow Linda! You give your tithe yet you dish insults without thinking twice. Classic case of trying to be religious versus trying to be righteous.

The writer asked at the end of her article “what do you think”…she wasn’t imposing her opinion on others. Absolutely no need to call her names dear. Please restructure your concept of taking a stand for God.

Cheers, Shalom and hugs 🙂

• AA

October 9, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Its people like Linda and Marks that are the new face of Christianity in the world. People who profess Christ but are far from Christ like behavior with their insults and their judgment.Shame!

• marks

October 9, 2013 at 2:39 pm

AA did you see me insult anybody??? mbok o

• ij

October 9, 2013 at 2:25 pm

wow, calm down hun

10. haba

October 9, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Why didnt u bring d atheist to Christ? My dear go and read what d bible says about tithing and how God opens the window of blessings on those who obey him. U dey dere dey allow atheist rule ur mind oshi…

11. Tee

October 9, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Hmmmmm, sign of the end. Narrow is the road.

12. Kia

October 9, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Going to church and keeping religious laws do not Make you a Christian . If someone that does not even believe in the existence of God can convince you to go against what your religion teaches, you need to check your christian foundation. Christianity is not a bunch of laws but about a relationship with God , through the sacrifice of Christ with the enabling of the Holy Spirit. If the Holy Spirit does not give you revelation of the scriptures you will be swayed by whatever people say. Most Christians are to lazy to do the work it takes to get understanding from Gods word, then come out and say things like this to generate controversy.

• Loma

October 9, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Like! Like! well said Kia, its not about the law but the relationship and we have to base our actions on our convictions through the reading of the word of God, not what one preacher says. Tithe was not meant to be a burden but our appreciate of God as our source and a means to garner more blessings from God. To my understanding, it is written in the scriptures as a dare.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

October 9, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Kia, gurrrrlllll! You making reference to the Holy Spirit just made me recall something I read today – John 14:26 “But the Comforter, even the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things and bring to your rememberance all that I said unto you.”

I read that and it was honestly like an “AHA!!” moment for me because I started thinking of certain aspects of my faith I’m struggling with right now and that scripture just made me realise I only need to rely on the Holy Spirit to jog my memory and remind me of what The Lord said to me in the past whether through dreams, revelations, the spoken and written Word, etc., some of which I may have forgotten in this constant hustle of life (hence the nosedive of faith). So basically, keep recalling those assurances and keep them in sight going forward.

Anyhoodle, your comment is spot on and I just wanted to add to it 🙂

13. BeRlinda

October 9, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Common sense is really not common.there is a yoruba saying that goes ‘ki enyan ma gba were mo esin’ which means people should not add madness to religion. However in the end its only God who will judge. Ps; God gave everybody a brain…use urs!

• Kachi

October 9, 2013 at 1:04 pm

You are absolutely right, the comments here alone justifies
      it. Common sense is really hard. That was the reason Jesus kept
      using proverbs to explain issues and his stance on matters. God
      help us all!

• tito

October 9, 2013 at 1:13 pm

wow! this is soo well thot of.
      People really need to begin to probe, test and let the holy spirit direct them as He has directed the writer. Laws are for people not people for law.
      This indoctrination without common sense is what is prevalent in our society. people attribute their mistakes, errors and failures to God s will. I sometime wonder that if we all (Nigerian) are as comfortable and properous like the American society; how many people will be in church? You can already see the attacks on the write up( posibbly by people who aint even holy)but they have been taught to defend what hey have been taught.
      I for one belive God is happy when my tithe is the answer to someone prayers. That is love and that is what Christainity is all about.

• Ides of March

October 13, 2013 at 7:46 am

America is still very much 73% Christian oh, don’t let anyone tell you different. Go to the bible belt and see people, infact go anywhere even here in California and the number of mega churches that you’ll see will surprise you. American’s are very much worshiping God, don’t believe the hype.

14. Adeleke

October 9, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Well said #That’sAll

15. smashingM

October 9, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I sometimes use my tithe to help my family, though i feel
    ashamed (and ask God for forgiveness), i prefer borrowing from God
    than to borrow from man. My elder sister has been at home for close
    to 8 years after graduation without a job. By the special Grace of
    God, i got a job in a construction firm and started helping out at
    home. My elder sister later got a job with the state civil service
    (they were given appointment letters since January 2013) and hasn’t
    been paid a dime since January and this is October!!! she pays her
    way to the village she was posted to everyday because she has to
    teach. I finance her way and sometimes it takes my tithe. @ marks,
    are you now saying that i should let my sister trek so as not to
    offend God? our God is not man. Any way, to each, his own.

• Kachi

October 9, 2013 at 1:16 pm

You are absolutely right, the comments here alone justifies it. Common sense is really hard. That was the reason Jesus kept using proverbs to explain issues and his stance on matters. God help us all!
      Bellanaija, there should be a like button jor! Well said SmashingM.

16. FOB

October 9, 2013 at 12:34 pm

One question: If God didn’t provide you the job (or if you
    say God didn’t give you the job; If you were unemployed) would your
    family die that month. The widow in the Bible basically had a last
    meal hardly enough for her and her son, yet this prophet strolls in
    and asks her to prepare him a meal…..yet we know how the story
    went. If you don’t have the faith to receive from God, then don’t
    waste your time practicing religion, because that’s where
    frustration comes from. You have a form of godliness and no power
    or result to show for it.

17. hh

October 9, 2013 at 12:36 pm

i love this post .if people dont start thinking like this .
    this county would never get better . especially since these days we
    have alot of fake prophets and pastors. the writer isn’t saying u
    should reduce ur tithe all the time or break Gods law . he is
    saying u should apply the law for the betterment of the society .
    alot of nigerians don’t understand the bible thats why they act and
    talk with stupidity

18. Daisy

October 9, 2013 at 12:38 pm

What is wrong with you disagreeing with her without
    insults? Yet you sit on your high horse and categorise yourself as
    a tithe paying Christian. Tithing is NOT the only criteria for
    walking towards heaven. You are exactly what you accuse her of
    being.

• Kachi

October 9, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Gbam!!!

19. franca

October 9, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I know a committed woman of God who treats her house helps
    like slaves. She even makes dem bath with the sponge she baths her
    dogs with as a way of punishments sometimes. yet, she is a strong
    women’s fellowship member who pays her tithes on time. is she a
    Christian? Open your eyes and read well. she didnt say dont follow
    the principles of the Bible. she says sometimes use your head
    small. Dats why people are hiding behind religion and killing
    innocent people. smh

20. Anonymous

October 9, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Tithing works for me and I am very consistent with my tithe
    but if there is an emergency situation and some1 needs help say an
    emergency surgery urgently i will give out the tithe rather than
    pay it to the church and watch that person die. you can always pay
    back d tithe u used up but u can never bring back the dead person.
    truly God gave us brains, biko use urs…

21. Queen

October 9, 2013 at 1:16 pm

When you pay tithe.God rewards you…i dont concur with dis
    write up.

22. efe

October 9, 2013 at 2:03 pm

God is one who honours His word above His name.Paying of Tithes and First Fruits has paid off for me Big time,l mean BIG time.The word is God is so REAL.He never fails,Do your part without doubt or fear in your heart and see GOD prove Himself as JEHOVAH ELSHADDAI in your life,blessings you to overflow and being a blessing unto others.
    Very key thing is there are other things required as a believer to make Heaven,Partial obedience is total disobedience.Work out your Salvation with Fear and trembling,We serve a HOLY GOD,whose eyes is too PURE to behold any form of iniquity(hidden or not).

23. Mimi

October 9, 2013 at 2:12 pm

I am sure with all these comments, you have your answer……religion far far outweighs common sense….God help us

24. Chinma Eke

October 9, 2013 at 2:12 pm

First of all people; the tithe issue was used as an anology, and is not the basis of this article. The point is; if you want to fulfil all the laws, fulfil all, of which the greatest is; love your neighbour. Read your bible, it says if you come to the altar with the fatest of offering and are not at peace with your neighbour, go back and make peace first before giving your offering.
    When we have humans and not the holy spirit interprete the word of God, there is the tendency for personal bias. Yes the spirit of God might use a human to interprete the bible to you, but you have to personally pray for a discerning spirit to discern who is speaking.
    Theresa, by using this platform to tell the world about your personal beliefs without clarifying, don’t you think you are in the same boat as the religious leaders who impose their views on their followers? We should all be careful how we interprete and present the scriptures, lest on the last day we are judged for our sins and the sins of the multitude we misled.

25. Abana

October 9, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Tithing is only an example o. She is not saying you should or shouldn’t pay tithe. The title of the article is religion vs common sense and quite aptly, some people here have relegated common sense to the background.

• Missy

October 9, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Thank you! She just gave examples. How many people come on here to castigate this lady yet everyday still tell countless lies, steal, cheat, fornicate like no one’s business and other unmentionables, yet come here to scream blasphemy! You can pay 50% of your income that still won’t wash out your “sins” nor will it make you better than those who may not tithe as much as the stated 10%. All this is wanton hypocrisy

26. AA

October 9, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Kai…so many Christians are going to be led to hell fire. Please you people should go back to your bible, particularly New Testament. Read the Beatitudes..remember that God is LOVE. Tithing is ONE (1) law out of many laws in the bible, but love is the supreme law. Remember this oh you Christians of the new millenium

27. Joe

October 9, 2013 at 3:05 pm

I often suspect that for someone in the 21st century, with our knowledge of reality and the evolution of religions, belief in the supernatural needs a suppression of common sense. And once you get into the habit…

28. guest

October 9, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Great article! People are guilty of taking what their pastors preached for the truth rather than confirm what the truth is regarding the Bible. Tithes as far as the bible is concern is one of the old laws in the bible. These laws were done away with when new laws were put in place….it is interesting to see how pastors still use this law to their financial benefit. It will to every Christian advantage to go and re-read the Bible and ask questions regarding the laws of tithes. Hebrew chapter 10 addresses this topic but one can begin from chapters 8 and 9. Giving burnt offerings of lambs on the temple is another old law yet we don’t follow that so why tithing? Please Christian do your own research to educate yourselves of the bible and do not follow the misleading information of some one. That said, one can still help financially whenever they can or however way they chose to help the poor or needy.

29. jcsgrl

October 9, 2013 at 3:47 pm

ehen back to article, while we are at it, please can Christians also use common sense with who they want to marry. I’m tired of counseling chics who married a guy because pastor told them or somebody said something or signs and wonders happened. they refused to see that the man no get real job, is a compulsive liar, is controlling and abusive, then after marriage they begin to take 1st row at midnight prayers. Women shine you eyes and enter with your eyes, ears, and everything open

• Abana

October 9, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Looooooooool. jcsgrl, please give us the full gist.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

October 9, 2013 at 5:36 pm

That’s just sheer laziness on the part of those women. Would they walk across a canyon blindfolded and on a tightrope if someone asked them to? Why on earth would you solely base your life-impacting decision to marry a man, on the so-called word of God received by someone else? Without praying your own prayer to confirm that word with God??

Laziness, naïveté, foolishness… Pick anyone that applies.

• jcsgrl

October 9, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Nne its also because people have made all these pastors and MOG their Gods. They no dey read bible for themselves or have a personal relationship with God. So anything they tell them they believe. Then you also have the ones who everything is faith. The man is SS no mrry am, No oh my faith will not allow our children to be SS. The man no get tangible job, no marry am. No oh my faith. The God I serve! Kini ko kini ko. Then when they get married, their eyes go happen. They will realize that Paul O akowatasiro m ife a (Paulo did not explain this thing well). I don talk my own. You berra make sure you’re ready to chop the man’s shit and vice versa before you marry.

• Miss Anonymous

October 10, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I’m digressing a bit as your comment brings to mind this
      endless craze to be Mrs Somebody at all costs. I was friends with
      this guy who wanted to date me and we had even talked about
      marriage. To my dismay though I discovered Mr. A couldn’t get it up
      and refused to discuss the issue or even admit there was an issue.
      I confided in a friend who said “Hmmm so if he proposes you won’t
      say yes because of his condition?” I was really shocked at her
      statement, but then it just goes to show how people continue to
      blindly walk into permanent conditions based on temporary
      feelings.

30. Bide

October 9, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Reading all these comments just brings me to an abrupt conclusion,That many people are still ignorant concerning the word/things of God…I really have nothing to say but ‘But to thy own self be true’…

31. fiesty chic

October 9, 2013 at 4:24 pm

The bible says give tithes and also give alms but personally, I would rather give alms to people in need than give the tithes cos I believe the later is just going to enrich the pocket of the church. The question I would like to ask all the tithe warriors is if your mother is sick and needs money for surgery and your tithe is the amount that completes it, would you give the tithe to the church or take care of your mother first? It is so funny that christians these days would rather give their all to the church while their own family members starve and barely have enough to eat or cloth themselves. I marvel at the comments of some of the posters as they condemned the writer because they will be the same ones condemning the muslims when they carry jihad but then go on to carry out their own fake religious beliefs and refuse to see it as the same thing. I believe firmly in following the dictates of your conscience and if it says what you did is good, then it is. And also those talking about her taking the words of the atheist, I believe its the same bible that says God speaks to us through various means, what if that was God trying to make her see reason through her roommate?

• Kachi

October 10, 2013 at 2:25 pm

My thoughts exactly, fiesty chic. BELLANAIJA, THERE SHOULD BE A LIKE BUTTON!

32. AS

October 9, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Wow! Really lovely article. As far as I’m concerned, the bible never mentions tithing ANYWHERE in the new testament. It only talks about giving(any % by the way,not just 10). And not just giving,but giving CHEERFULLY. Neither does it specify where you should give to. Point is,give. Give to your church/pastor,give to your neighbour,give to those who need money for organ transplants,just give as you feel ‘led’ to. BUT IT’S NOT A LAW. And for those who are so passionate about paying tithes,why not increase it to 30%,50% or even 70% because you love God so much while trusting him to bless you more and rebuke the devourer more? “But God only asked for 10%” you say,your hypocrisy should be obvious to you by now cos I’m sure God wouldn’t be angry if you ‘over-pay’. Truth is,God isn’t gonna bless you because you give but you should give because you believe you’ve been blessed already. Don’t miss the point of the law in the name of obeying the law. Jam 1:26-27. Selah

• Kachi

October 10, 2013 at 2:24 pm

BELLANAIJA, THERE SHOULD BE A LIKE BUTTON! AND YES AM SCREAMING NOW! Having finished ranting, well said AS.

33. Tiki

October 9, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Tithing is indeed in the Bible. However I think in everything, God looks at our hearts and not our rigid obeying of his laws. I am positive that a person who tithes and commits adultery will not go to heaven. Also a person who tithes to a church they know will only embezzle the money is a fool. The idea is not to enrich people, it is to sow seeds of evangelisation. If you are tithing, your pastor is buying private jets with no clear source of income and you are not raising questions, don’t think that tithe will take you to heaven. You and the pastor will share a cell in the fiery furnace.

34. Bola

October 9, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Hi Theresa. I understand your point and where you are coming from but tithing is not a law that has caused anybody to die. Its not the 10% you pay back to God that will make your family hungry. Your family would have still been hungry all the same because your salary was small. So why don’t you just obey in faith knowing that God is faithful. The Bible teaches that when you pay your tithe, doors of blessing are open unto you. Observe the tithers in the Bible. They were increased and became rich eventually. Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and now I could even say I am an example. Life is spiritual and should be treated as so. There’s no law that truly excuses killing another. Love is the ultimate and binds every other law. Learn more about tithing Theresa. I think you need to

35. CarliforniaBawlar

October 9, 2013 at 6:55 pm

My grandpa recently disclosed to my mum that he wasn’t that into being a christian…in fact he wasn’t into any religion at all. My mum was shocked!! she then asked him why he would say such a thing as this was the same man that raised 18 church-going ‘ christian’ kids. His response was that for the most part of his life going to church and ‘being christian’ was a part of the society and culture and being an high-chief in our community if he didn’t go to church people would assume he was a cultist of some sort. So he has being getting up every sunday (not counting church meetings and public prayers offered) for the past 60 years of his life to do something he doesn’t really believe in or care about (which IMO clearly explains his philandering ways despite being a ‘baba ijo’ hehehe). Now my people, if this man came across a convincing atheist (or any other belief system) and he finally publicly relinquishes his christian ‘beliefs’, wouldn’t the caption just be sensational? “christian man of over 6 decades converts to blahblahblah” when he really never was a christian. I think a lot of Nigerian christians (and even muslims) need to reevaluate their FAITH (p.s. not religion). A lot of folks have just been going with the flow since birth….religion and the practice of it is so ingrained in our culture it easy to mindlessly get caught up in the motions.
    On the notion of applying ‘common-sense’….. to each his own. Generally I’m of the belief that Christ came to fulfill all ‘laws’. Hence I don’t live by the law but by the Life of Christ through the conviction of the Holy Spirit. In other words, my common sense is the wisdom of God so, if instead of giving my tithe one month and I decide to help a sister/brother in need I would trust that that ‘inspiration’ to meet that person’s need is from God, shikena.

• sara

October 9, 2013 at 9:54 pm

I read somewhere that many people in the middle belt region converted to Islam as a way of social mobility. I pretty sure that its the same situation with Christianity in other parts in the country. Some people follow their faith while others are just following protocol.

36. zizi

October 9, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Really a silly write-up………so taking 100 naira 4rm 1000 will cause u a lot abi…..besides Jesus christ didn’t come 2 break d law bt 4 deir fulfilment. The only thing was totally abolished was d sacrifice of animals & he did [email protected] by giving him self as a sacrifice once & 4 all…..I knw religion ave done a lot harm cos of d way pple go abt it bt I tink u shud tink very well next tym b4 writing sumtin lyk dis so [email protected] u dnt mislead pple

37. Chic

October 10, 2013 at 10:36 am

All I know is that I will use my tithe to feed a hungry person, clothe someone, provide shelter, pay school fees etc before i contribute to the purchase of a private jet or range rover or build a mansion for some of these pastors that is all

38. Lafunky

October 10, 2013 at 10:57 am

I pay tithe to acknowledge that I have faith in God’s Word and I trust that His Word will come into fulfilment in my life. I also pay tithe because it is a way for me to acknowledge that God is the source of my income and He gave me the job, that is a way of thanking Him whilst obeying His Word.
    In UK, we pay about 20-40% tax every month, we still pay private pension including national insurance contribution. If the Government can be taking tax from my salary, why can’t I give my creator 10%. I also believe that if 90% of the remaining salary cannot be enough to survive, bless others, help families, save, etc, I really doubt 100% will be enough.
    Final note from me, from the book of Proverbs 11: 9, God said that we can be ruined by the talk of godless people, but the wisdom (from God)of the righteous can save you. Also, Proverbs 11:24 states that :some people spend their money freely and still grow richer. Others are cautious, and yet grow poorer.

It is to be noted that God’s Word does not work with common sense. Common sense states that if you save your money and not give out, you will have more in abundance in your bank account. While God’s Word says that the more you give, the more you are blessed/you will receive. The blessing may not necessarily come back in money.
    I agree with people that have linked giving tithe and being a Christian to faith. It is all about your faith/trust/hope in Jesus Christ.

39. chimex

October 10, 2013 at 11:27 am

Ayowole Olatunji Merotiwon
    7 October
    That your neighbour, whose children go to school with torn school
    uniforms that cost only 5k, have you changed it for them?
    That your friend who just flashed you because he didn’t have
    N20 airtime, have you sent N200 airtime to him?
    That your office colleague who didn’t go for lunch today because
    he’s broke, did you share yours with him?
    Those numerous shirts in your wardrobe you’ve not touched for
    the past one year, have you given all of them out to people who’ll
    wear them everyday, because it’d be the only one they’ve got?
    That girl that sells recharge card to you everyday, do you even
    know her name?
    Do you know your gate man may not have taken his bath with soap
    this morning because he couldn’t afford to buy N30 lux?
    Do you know that your cleaner’s child’s balanced diet is flat pap,
    morning, afternoon, night.
    Have you bought her a tin of baby milk ?

Please stop sending silly bbms, whatsapp messages and facebook
    messages telling me about how Jesus loves me and threatening
    me with fire and brimstone if I don’t rebroadcast. I already
    know that Jesus loves me, I don’t need a reminder.
    Try and SHOW folks around you Jesus’ love on a daily basis and
    you’ll have fulfilled a portion of the bible that says “Love your
    neighbour as your self and that if you do this for that brother or
    sister you can see you’ve done it for me”.
    You think mere punching a button in your expensive phone inside
    your air-conditioned office or going to buy expensive gifts for
    your pastor who already have more than enough,means God’s
    love?

A lot of people are in dire need of Help, show them love and care.

• Bleed blue

October 10, 2013 at 1:28 pm

WHOA! See calling out on the highest level! Confession
      time…I’m so naughty, I went and facebooked “Ayowole Olatunji
      Merotiwon” just to see who this guy is. **Covers eyes in
      shame**

• jcsgrl

October 10, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Lol me too! Girl this govt shutdown needs to stop…I’m bored out of my mind

• Analyst

October 10, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Thank you for this. As many have responded above, they are expecting that by faith those people you mentioned will be provided for and it is not their business. As long as they are blessed and they have done their duty as tithers, love thy neighbour as they self can be carefully glanced over. Christians are one of the most selfish and self absorbed people I have ever met. If they changed their night vigil prayers from wealth, wealth, wealth that only them will enjoy but a collective prayer to be better individuals and look after their neighbour and progress for the country maybe, just maybe Nigeria will be better. But noooooo it has to be how to acquire more material wealth which of course they can show off to their heathen or unbelieving neighbour about the bounties their Church has given them. The devil also blesses people I hope you guys know.

40. dellynike

October 10, 2013 at 6:15 pm

i hate when people distinguish the old testament from the new testament.Itz called the Bible not the old testament/the new testament.Jesus did not come to abolish the law but to fulfill it.

41. Tina

March 27, 2017 at 3:20 pm

Please before we make further comments, let’s read Deut. 14: 22 to the end. Then pray for knowledge and revelation from the Holy Spirit. “My people perish due to lack of knowledge”.