News

Klassy Kinks: 12 Nigerian Natural Hair Bloggers You Need to Follow

Geri2

It’s always great to browse YouTube and the blogs of ladies with long, curly and coily hair; but sometimes you need to realize that your hair may not look like their’s, no matter how many days you spend deep conditioning with coconut oil.

And most times, the natural hair journey is so personal that you need to find someone that inspires and connects with you. That is why today, I am going to be listing 12 Nigerian natural hair bloggers that you need to follow.

If you need some inspiration, or just want to see the diversity of natural hair looks among our own people (Nigerians), get familiar with the bloggers below, listed from most recent natural to the most seasoned veteran.

Enjoy!

Discovering Natural

Sola-DiscoveringNatural

I only recently came across Sola’s YouTube and Instagram, but chai I’ve been missing out! Sola transitioned for one year and big chopped in November of 2012. Because she’s so new to the game, she has helpful videos about transitioning to natural hair. But don’t think that Sola has little information to share, there are nearly 300 videos on her channel!

In my opinion, the most awesome thing about her channel and blog is that she frequently shares about taking care of children’s natural hair, and even has a cute video of one of her daughters talking about her own natural journey. It’s clear that her children inspired her return to natural hair, so it’s refreshing to see them so involved in the process.

Follow her here: YouTube: www.youtube.com/Discoveringnatural | Website: www.DiscoveringNatural.com | Facebook: www.facebook.com/Discoveringnatural | Twitter: www.twitter.com/sawahtwit | Instagram: www.instagram.com/Discoveringnatural

Iconic Africana

temitope

Temitope’s hair is absolutely luscious. She’s been natural since June of 2012 after transitioning for a little bit over a year. You should know that Temitope has always had long hair, even while she was relaxed, so her ability to have such big and long hair in a short time may be hereditary. In addition, Temitope’s hair shrinks up less than most of the bloggers on this list. Nonetheless, her low maintenance regimen – monthly washes – and basic styling – bantu knots or braid outs – keeps her hands out of her hair and obviously, keeps her hair on her head!

Follow her here: YouTube: www.youtube.com/IconicAfricana | Tumblr: www.iconicafricana.tumblr.com | Instagram: www.instagram.com/Iconic_Africana

The Kink and I

Ekene

I met Ekene when I came to Nigeria in December, and even had the chance to style her fabulous mini fro!

She big chopped in May of 2012 after a 9 month transition, and then chopped again in October of that year. Ekene’s the only blogger on this list who actually lives in Nigeria, and the best thing about her blog is the extensive list of natural hair friendly stores and salons in the country. Ekene also writes quite a number of product reviews, and manages to protective style in a way that is not boring; she keeps you guessing by switching it up! Not afraid of a bright lip to complement her beautiful kinks, Ekene is definitely one blogger to watch!

Follow her here: Website: www.thekinkandi.wordpress.com | Facebook: www.facebook.com/thekinkandi | Instagram: www.instagram.com/thekinkandi

Chizi

Chizi

You might already be familiar with this small pickin; BN Beauty featured her bantu knot out video a few weeks ago {See Here if you Missed it}. Chizi is my darling little cousin who has taken YouTube by storm! She’s probably the youngest person on this list – she just got into university – but her confidence just bursts through the screen. Chizi really maximizes the versatility of 4c natural hair ever since her big chop in July of 2011; you’ll see her do a twist out, up-do, straighten her hair, and review wigs in just a few months. I’m starting to get sentimental because I actually used to babysit her way back in the day, so let me just stop before I start crying.

Follow her here: YouTube: www.youtube.com/ecstacy248 | Instagram: www.instagram.com/chiziduru

Klassy Kinks

IMG_4021

Did you think I would make a list and not add myself?

I cut my hair in May 2010 after transitioning for one year, and I’ve been able to keep a low maintenance, low fuss regimen partly due to time constraints and partly due to budget constraints. My hair is also one of the few I’ve seen among Nigerian natural bloggers that is colored, and I have quite a few videos on Havana twists. The Klassy Kinks website has awesome articles about navigating the trials and tribulations of kinky hair. Plus, monthly giveaways, many of them open to international readers!

Follow me here: YouTube: www.youtube.com/ije1023 | Website: www.Klassy-Kinks.com | Facebook: www.facebook.com/KlassyKinks | Twitter: www.twitter.com/KlassyKinks | Instagram: www.instagram.com/KlassyKinks

Lolas Curls

Lola

If you’re looking for some guidance on how to do a very long transition, look no further because Lola transitioned for over 2.5 years! Lola’s transition began in January 2010 and she cut her hair in August of 2012. A lot of her videos cover the transitioning period, and she also reviews a number of products, including DIY products. Lola has also written an e-book titled “8 Weeks to Longer Hair!: A Guide for the Afro-Caribbean Woman. Discover Your Hair Growth’s Potential.” I’d trust her advice; though Lola’s hair is super deceptive; when stretched, it is waist length!

Follow her here: YouTube: www.youtube.com/Lolascrib | Website: www.LolasCurls.com | Facebook: www.facebook.com/LolasCurls | Twitter: www.twitter.com/LolasCurls

Latifatumi

Latifatumi

Latifat Oladipo big chopped in November of 2009, and makes very useful videos on a wide variety of styles. Either she has a magic camera, or Latifat has some of the shiniest hair I’ve ever seen! Considering how dull kinky hair can be, Latifat’s straight forward regimen and impressive length retention are definitely inspirational for people who consider themselves 4c like Latifat. She sometimes shares pictures of her super cute daughter, and she’s expecting another child soon! Latifat also runs a Facebook group called Type 4 Natural Hair.

Follow her here: YouTube: www.youtube.com/latifatumi | Facebook Group: www.facebook.com/groups/226712087386283/ | Instagram: www.instagram.com/latifatumi

Chinwe

Chinwe

If you’ve ever read an article on BlackGirlLongHair.com, likelihood you’ve read something written by Chinwe. She has a wealth of natural hair knowledge, probably since she’s been in the game since February 2008 after a ten month transition. Chinwe exhibits versatility in her long, thick hair; you can find pictures and tutorials of her hair in twists, up-dos, straightened, and even in wash and gos. Her strands are medium to fine, and her hair has reached waist-length. Her blog archive goes all the way back to 2009 with useful categories, so there’s plenty of articles to read!

Follow her here: Website: www.hairandhealth.blogspot.com | Fotki: www.fotki.com/loolalooh | Facebook: www.facebook.com/healthyhairandbody

Nalia1908

Ngozi

For any naturals lamenting that their hair is not as thick as most other Nigerians’ hair, Ngozi is the first person you need to pay attention to. She has proudly embraced her fine natural hair, and considering she’s reached waist-length, I think she’s done well for herself. Ngozi big chopped in October 2009 after almost a year of transitioning, and wears her hair in mostly stretched styles, but does the occasional up-do. You can also find regular length checks and updates. In addition to hair videos, Ngozi also has useful makeup videos that won’t overwhelm you.

Follow her here: YouTube: www.youtube.com/Nalia1908 | Facebook: www.facebook.com/Nalia1908 | Twitter: www.twitter.com/Nalia1908

Geraldine the Great

Geri2

My namesake (she’s also Ijeoma) Geri is one of the more well-known Naija naturals. She’s been natural since June 2009 after transitioning for 8 months. Geri often shares her easy low bun up-dos and braid outs, and definitely sticks to a low fuss regimen that has earned her waist length hair. Her blog posts are sprinkled with pidgin that makes for a fun read, and she always has a glam makeup look, so expect her long flirty eyelashes to make you jealous just as much as her hair. Though she doesn’t post frequently, when she does, her followers dance, dance, dance!

Follow her here: Website: www.geraldinethegreat.blogspot.com | Facebook: www.facebook.com/Geraldine-the-Great | Twitter: www.twitter.com/GeriMUA | Instagram: www.instagram.com/GeriMUA

Jo Stylin

jostylin

Two things about Jo’s hair – it is long, and it is big! Her last relaxer was in Dec 2007, and she attributes her long hair to a long-term transition that included braid extensions for 1.5 years, and then twistouts until she had slowly cut off all the relaxed ends. Jo doesn’t get into much detail about her everyday regimen or the details of her hair, but she considers her hair in the 4 range and typically wears braid outs on blow dried hair. Videos also don’t come by so often, but she has quite a few from the past years that are quite useful.

Follow her here: YouTube: www.youtube.com/JoStylin | Facebook: www.facebook.com/AfroFashionista

Yagazie Emezi

Yagazie Emezi - Bellanaija - February 2014

Yagazie is half-Nigerian, but probably sounds more Naija than you do (she lived in Aba most of her life)! This hilarious vlogger has been natural nearly all her life, but fully embraces the immense fluffiness of her hair. Every so often she also protective styles with crazy long braids, but they fit her bohemian, free spirited personality. Yagazie’s videos cover all sorts of topics, mostly unrelated to hair, and she recently started a website that features up and coming African artists around the world. Yagazie is also super sweet in person!

Follow her here: Website: www.yagazieemezi.com | YouTube: www.youtube.com/yemezi | Facebook: www.facebook.com/yagazie.emezi | Twitter: www.twitter.com/YagazieEmezi | Instagram: www.instagram.com/yagazieemezi

These bloggers should keep you full of hope, ideas, and natural hair inspiration for weeks and weeks to come. I’m sure I missed a whole lot of Nigerian natural bloggers, especially those in the country; feel free to add to the list in the comments! Have a great day!
Ijeoma Eboh is the Founder and Editor of www.Klassy-Kinks.com. She is on a mission to change the perceptions of kinky textured hair around the world. You can find her  on social media: Twitter: @klassykinks | Instagram: @klassykinks | Youtube: ije1023

1. Nelly Agbogu'weight loss blog

February 25, 2014 at 10:55 am

cute

2. bunny

February 25, 2014 at 11:10 am

nice

3. Sexxie

February 25, 2014 at 11:14 am

Well done ladies! To each their own. I’ll choose my well relaxed silky medium length hair anytime over any kinky hair…some look really unkempt.

• Rafi

February 25, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Interesting comment…you don’t like the texture of your own natural hair and prefer westernized standard of beauty to your God given texture. Your right, to each their own. I think all ladies are beautiful so proud of my Nigerian women.

• ilaugh

February 26, 2014 at 6:01 am

Well she likes her natural hair relaxed, have a problem with that?

• Eve82

February 26, 2014 at 7:42 am

The natural hair Nazis are at it again.

• NYK

February 26, 2014 at 8:01 am

This is a choice she has made. respect it.
      Why dont you wear only beads and use herbs if u dont want western life
      Shio

• SOLO ACT

February 25, 2014 at 9:46 pm

thank you. most natural hair looks unkept and just everywhere. but to each is own, if u like ur natural hair thats your own. but as for me, i like my relaxed hair. black women are not the only ones that chemically straighten their hair soo i just get disgusted when naturals bring up things like YOU ARE NOT PROUD OF YOUR RACE. no i am. beauty is aesthetics and aesthetically natural wooly frizzy hair does not look good. Arab women know this, egyptians know this, armenians know this, etc.

• browneyedgirl

March 19, 2014 at 11:04 am

Wow!…just, wow…OK, just to be clear – you’re refereeing to YOUR hair alone with that last sentence right? Not the hair of every other strong, confident, assured, self-loving, African, kinky-haired woman. Glad we cleared that up.

• Sandi

March 20, 2014 at 4:51 pm

I love how black women hate their own God given hair, but would tomorrow start shouting AFRICAN PRIDE!!! I’m proud to be Naija, I’m proud to be igbo, yoruba, etc. Black girls are pretty. No to you, blacks are pretty as long as they start looking like whites, arabs, asians. No we’re not pretty, we’re not beautiful, we’re savages that need the chemical to look presentable. We black women as God made us are not pretty. I bet it’s women like you that push other women to bleach the black glowing skin that God has given them because arab women are using whitenicious, armenian women chemically whiten their skin. No we can’t have black skin and black hair, no we can’t do that. We have to chemically change our skin and our hair to become pretty, because that’s what’s acceptable.
      Black hair is beautiful, your ignorant mind is not.

• Dee

May 7, 2014 at 5:30 pm

It ‘does not look good’ TO YOU!!! You just said ‘to each his own’ (actually you said ‘to each is own’ but okay) and then completely ruined your point by proceeding to assume that everyone shares your opinion. Yuck.

• L.L.

May 13, 2014 at 10:03 pm

What da h** kind of ignorant a** statement is that? “Most natural hair is unkept…” and aesthetic bologna is that? I’ve seen plenty of people with relaxed hair that look unkept as well. The bottom line is natural, relaxed, whatever choice one has chosen is her own problem. As long as you take care of your hair often, one should be fine. Stop the ignorance pls.

• idoublecrossmyheart

February 26, 2014 at 2:57 am

Unkempt……hahahahahaha….please do not be surprised if the white man sees you as savage with that “unkempt” hair growing out of your skull. You have the power to change your narrative not bury yourself in your pool of ignorance. Why read this post only to leave a negative comment.

Tomorrow you will run to church to PRAISE his name, but you cannot appreciate what he gave you NATURALLY.

• NappyHappy

March 4, 2014 at 6:05 pm

WELL SAID!!

• Sandi

March 20, 2014 at 4:42 pm

May God bless you for this

• Celebrating Me

May 6, 2014 at 1:24 pm

I’ve had my hair natural for over a year now. I love it and love to experiment some really nice styles I see. My hair is also coloured so its really snazzy *wink.
      That said, some natural hair styles really look unkempt and dirty! It’s not discrimination, it’s the fact …same way, some people have unkempt relaxed hair ..SIMPLE!!!

So please don’t let’s get all righteous over personal styles and preferences cos it shows some sort of deeper insecurities in my opinion.

Going natural was neither a feminist, racist, religious or otherwise decision for most people. It was the remedy to breaking hair or boredom with the norm. My Sister’s hair is all relaxed and beautiful and at times, I envy it same way she does mine at times.

So be happy with your style and respect others’ styles.

• Taylor

October 17, 2016 at 5:44 am

My fav was Jo Stylin. Her hair looks amazing.

4. HoneyDame

February 25, 2014 at 11:15 am

Wait! how is Dabs of naijahaircangrow.blogspot.com/ not on this list?! She also lives i Nigeria and recently opened a salon in Lagos.

• Qu33n

February 25, 2014 at 1:02 pm

She’s not natural dats y! long relaxed hair <3

• Ebony

February 25, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Dabs is relaxed and this list focuses on Natural Hair Bloggers

5. baby

February 25, 2014 at 11:20 am

i don’t think id want to go natural again ,my parents used to attend a church where earrings and relaxed hair was a taboo,well i was natural for over 13years i heaved a sigh of relief d day i asked my dad if i could relax my hair and he accepted,i don’t ever want to have that “ngbeke” look again in my life time biko.but the tips could be useful for little kids.

• Troll

February 25, 2014 at 11:49 am

Natural African hair…mgbeke? Oh well, I don’t blame you I blame the church that limited your choices.

• Shona

February 25, 2014 at 11:59 am

@troll,I feel we are all entitled to our opinions na.Like Baby said,she went through this process all through childhood,if na you,you no go tire?

• sigh

February 25, 2014 at 1:01 pm

U’re look like an mgbeke because u’re an mgbeke, not magic here.
      Solange doesn’t look like an mgbeke, neither do Lupita, Dakore Egbuson, Nse Ikpe Etim, Nicole Ari Parker, Nike Okundaye, Eku Edewor, those 4aces girls, these GORGYYY Nigerian women here, etc.
      Embrace ur mgbekeritis bcuz no Brazilian or Indian or Venus cream can save u. U r simply what u are.

• Nicole

February 25, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Abi ooo, its all about confidence. Weaves have always made me look older than my age and since this oyibo weather destroyed my relaxed hair, I big chopped. Omo see changes, people guess my exact age or even get very close. My chykers have doubled, I get attention from my age mates and younger guys (omo.. the cougar feeling sweet sha). Apart from this, being natural is beautiful, I love my fro. My mum has a problem with it sha, but she has no choice, because its my hair not hers. @Baby, the mgbeke feeling is all in your head. If anyone thinks you are less of a woman simply because you are not wearing a Brazilian or Peruvian woman’s pubic or armpit hair…..lol, you shouldn’t be hanging with such an intellectually bereft person. Chin up, dress well, take care of your skin and you wont have a problem.

• snazy

February 25, 2014 at 7:10 pm

some people are just mean!…really?? didn’t u read what she wrote? u love natural hair, someone feels”never again”, and u’re the god of natural hair that’ll judge her nau abi??…i carried my natural hair for a while…in fact, if my hair is not relaxed for 2 months, it looks like itz never been relaxed, and it’s really difficult to manage, so as much as i love these girls’s hairs , i may not be able to pull it off…i wouldn’t turn up my nose at them either for choosing to go natural

• Ms_Oyinkansola

February 26, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Abeg,stop!she has a right to her opinion,if she feels it makes her look lyk an Mgbeke,thats au she feels.all this people you listed made the choice,good for them.we on the other side have a right to our choice and that has nothing to do with our Africanness, our pride or esteem.any1 u like.My relaxed hair is difficult to maintain ,so I cant even imagine wat going natural will be like plus I dont have the luxury of all the time n energy required to maintain this kinky.Its a no no for me.thanks

• Anonymous

February 28, 2014 at 10:04 am

Amen!

• L.L.

May 13, 2014 at 10:05 pm

God bless u 4 that comment.

• Brownbutterfly

May 18, 2014 at 3:11 am

Nice one! #truthhurts

• CarliforniaBawlar

February 25, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Not to be mean, but you don’t have issues with natural hair and the look. You have issues with your childhood and you not being satisfied with the lifestyle your family dictacted that you lived. I had a few friends like you back in school. You could see the spark/discontentment in their eyes when other girls dressed up and looked good. Don’t get me wrong they didn’t envy girls who dressed like sluts o…i mean just regular jeans and tshirt outfits. They couldn’t wear makeup so they’d use white powder and vaseline. It didn’t make them bad but they had been born into families they didn’t have any control over. One of my friends eventually broke out and ended up becoming such a ho just because she didn’t want to associate with the precious lifestyle anymore. I can’t claim to understand your “pain” but girlie…you have to let it go. Learn that standing out is not necessarily a bad thing. You sound very young…but let me tell you, life is going to keep trying to make you feel like you are not sufficient. What are you going to do if you live among white people? Bleach so you can get rid of your mgbeke skin? My dear please do better!!

• idoublecrossmyheart

February 26, 2014 at 3:00 am

Once an mgbeke, ALWAYS MGBEKE. Natural hair did not make you look like mgbeke, you were probably an mgbeke even without the natural hair. What makes you think you do not like a mgbeke with silky locks.

You can only look at events on BellaNaija to know that a lot of silky wearing Nigerian babes LOOK WORSE THAN THE NGOZIs in the village combined. Nothing natural, just plain plastic and borrowed. Like a second hand version of an Indian beauty.

• Dee

Cookie’s real hair care?

Kinky Apothecary?

Chic with kinks?
    ebunoluwole.com

• Miss_Flygerian

February 25, 2014 at 11:58 am

As in. It’s also helpful to have natural hair bloggers based in Naija so that those in Naija can readily identify with them in areas such as where they get their products or good salons where they make their hair.

Bloggers like Kinky Apothecary, Natural Nigerian, African Naturalistas, Love Ifeyinwa and Beautifully Nappy come to mind.

• adelegirl

February 25, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Exactly o. There’s also KL Naturals whom I recently discovered. She is based in Lagos and has a natural hair salon. Then there’s Natmane of deepbrownkinks who is also a natural hair stylist based in Abuja.

• Ijeoma Eboh

February 25, 2014 at 3:44 pm

I clearly need to write a part 2!

• Sandi

March 20, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Please o part two, because there are a good amount of Natural Nigerian bloggers in Nigeria. There are even Natural Nigerian hair salons springing up all over the place. How can you miss out Natural Nigerian that holds Natural hair meet ups everywhere? Ah abeg o. Do us justice

• The Mane Captain

February 25, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Thanks for the mention Ebun. i’m surprised Nappily Nigerian and African Naturalistas isn’t on there. Ijeoma, you need to write a part 2 indeed and include us. In the mean time, i’ll go check out some of those ladies on the list that I haven’t heard about.

• idoublecrossmyheart

February 26, 2014 at 3:03 am

Also include hairoflife.wordpress.com

7. Ecneica

February 25, 2014 at 11:40 am

@ baby,such a funny comment,having been there too,I know exactly what u mean

8. Shona

February 25, 2014 at 11:55 am

I follow Ekene of the kinks and I because I live in Nigeria and I feel I understand her more,her product reviews and all.Some natural hairs look unkempt I must say.I’m into the third month of transitioning and e don dey tire me.Wheeeeeew!

9. @edDREAMZ

February 25, 2014 at 12:00 pm

I will like to follow all of them….. But pay b4 service….
    ***CURRENTLY IN THE SUN***

10. Lamide

February 25, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Fantastic list. Thank you! There is another blogger, who is a wealth of knowledge and also LIVES in LAgos. Her name is Kemi and she can be found at klsnaturals.blogspot.com. Check her out!!!

• Bleed Blue

February 25, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Yup Kemi Lewis…she’s quite alright. Not just the blogging but the fact that she has a salon where you can treat and style your natural hair. Very funky stuff I see on her FB page.

I’m on team relaxer, although I must say some of these pictures got me wanting to flip the script!

• Ijeoma Eboh

February 25, 2014 at 3:46 pm

I was planing on writing a separate list about salons and brands, so thanks for the recommendation

11. memebaby

February 25, 2014 at 12:02 pm

chinwe and Jo stylin are giving me lifeeee!!! say what ?? hmmm “now thinking on how to make my hair better while combing my wig lol”

12. Troll

February 25, 2014 at 12:06 pm

I’m all for promoting our natural hair but the whole process is becoming tedious. I’d thought that the whole idea was for African women to stop feeling inferior when carrying their kinky hair, and not feel like mgbeke like baby here feels…no matter the style or look sef. I don’t know sha. But now there are so many products and rules, it’s discouraging.

• sigh

February 25, 2014 at 12:55 pm

clearly, u still haven’t found ur happy place… confidence is the 1st step.

• Ijeoma Eboh

February 25, 2014 at 3:50 pm

There are no “rules,” do whatever you want that makes your hair happy. Same goes for products, once you find ones that work, don’t change them just because a new one is on the market

• Michi

October 26, 2016 at 12:41 am

Great advice. I just bc’do and in need of advice. Based in VA.

13. Morayo

February 25, 2014 at 12:19 pm

I loooove love love this post! So much beauty going on here!
    And we have beautiful variation of thickness and length everywhere.
    Never knew that nalia was Nigerian though?!?!?
    Now no one says this is a must to join the Natural hair bandwagon or for you to complain how tedious it is for you to take care of your own natural hair. Just embrace these beauties for their hair!

14. sandy

February 25, 2014 at 12:48 pm

just be throwing the phrase ‘waist length” up and down the whole place, ive been on the blogs and I don’t c no waist length hair plss!!

• Ijeoma Eboh

February 25, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Length measurements in the natural hair community are typically done on stretched or straightened hair. The bloggers I said had waist length hair either self-described as waist length or I saw a photo or video when they pulled their hair down and it came down significantly further than the bra strap

• Arabanko

July 12, 2016 at 3:12 am

Auntie.. It’s called shrinkage. LOL

15. Retta

February 25, 2014 at 1:16 pm

I’ve had my natural hair for 6 years running now,since 2008 (aiming for 10 years) Dread-locked and i’m feeling my self. I always get compliments and you need to c the look on pples faces seeing how full & long it is when i let it down. Classic. Lol!

Get questions like, how did/do u cope? how old is it? wow! are u a sele person? where do u lock it? how much does it cost for maintenance? what if your husband/husbands pple don’t like it? Does it smell? Do u bath with it?….Amazing! hehehe! *smh*

People will always be people u know. Sometimes i acknowledge dem questions, sometimes i don’t. So i walk away living them with there mouths ajar & feeling blessed with myself.

P.S: I;m Nigerian to the Bone & Igbo. 😉

• Dee

May 7, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Yup, it’s all about confidence! I love your attitude.

16. MyHairmyBeautyNigeria.com

February 25, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Love this list! Love checking out new blogs!

17. Miss_Flygerian

February 25, 2014 at 2:03 pm

There is also O’Naturals, a blogger who owns a natural hair salon in Ojota, Lagos.

18. jcsgrl

February 25, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Ooooh me loving this? But I’m just mad at these bloggers with waist length hair. HOW did they do it biko? I’ve been relaxer free for 3.5 years and mine is still medium length. Just on my shoulders. Its seems my length has plateaued. Abeg what can I do to retain length o? Me too I want my mgbeke hair to reach my yansh

• Nonim

February 25, 2014 at 4:52 pm

hahahahaha… me too

• CarliforniaBawlar

February 25, 2014 at 10:25 pm

I straightened my mgbeke hair last month o and it was bra-strap length(i.e. mid-back)…but my hair has been that length for a year now. Its very obvious i’m not retaining length cos my hair was honey blonde and i barely have any of that color left (its all broken off) Can you just imagine that my hair would be twice this length now if this retaining length of a thing wasn’t such a family problem!! Arrgh! Well sha if i’m going to be honest i didn’t particularly take care of my hair last year….i was working hard to graduate and just left it in braids….if i had a perm i’d definitely be bald…lol. I’m going to pay attention to my hair this year sha…lets see whats we have by the end of the year….otherwise i’m fixing to go gorimapa and start over! I miss short hair…this my long hair quest is so i can see how long it can get…just because.

• jcsgrl

February 26, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Wow lucky you! Mine is just past my shoulder o. Ah if I can reach that length by year end I will be happy

• Chika

February 26, 2014 at 1:42 pm

blackgirllonghair.com/2014/02/10-reasons-why-your-protective-style-is-not-protective/

That Article might help…..I started finger detangling couple of years ago and I haven’t looked back since.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

February 26, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Oh, really? Is this the way forward? Thanks for the link.

• jcsgrl

February 26, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Oh nne thanks for the link. I started finger detangling too. I no dey comb the hair again sef. I have started taking good care of my hair too with loads of oils and protein conditioner. If my hair no reach my yansh in 2 yrs ehn, I will swear for someborri

• Mz Socially Awkward...

February 26, 2014 at 3:51 pm

You no well, oh. Wetin your mbgeke hair wan dey do for your yansh? 🙂 But, “plix” once you find the solution, come back here and share. I’ve been natural since late 2007 (thanks to a decision to just shave it all off to the skin and start again as Naija hair salons were just not doing the damn thing in Abz) and the hair never gree reach bra lenght, speak less of yansh.

I will say one thing about natural hair bloggers though, I have nothing but respect for their patience. You see that braid-out-twist-out style which gets bandied about? Only once in my entire life have I sat down to do it and after that, I said never again. Chei, to siddon in front of mirror dey make hair every how many days? Mbanu. My standard french pleat or banded afro does me fine on for an everyday natural look. And my braids are still a go-to fave.

Saying that, I’m in complete love with my natural kinks. Just need to be more patient about doing things with it.

• jcsgrl

February 26, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Aww actually the braid outs are my best hairstyles. That all I do since I’m soo lazy. I do it every 3 or 4 days about 6 plaits and I’m done. My hair no dey gree fro again thanks to the dominican blow dry I got about 3 months ago. I hope I never finish my hair cos now its no longer koily 🙁 I started using apple cider vinegar, hair mayo and oils (coconut, olive and teatree) for conditioning and leave in. I go report the verdict by year end

• Chika

February 27, 2014 at 8:00 am

Yeah, I remember when you had short hair. 🙂 Babe, with proper TLC your hair would have passed bra strap length long time ago. It would have been all about maintaining your waist length hair by now. Have you finished the Shea Butter I sold to you? 🙂

You know I’m all crazy about my hair, so if you need any Info just give me a shout. Btw, are you back in town? Hope it all went well…

19. amara

February 25, 2014 at 4:44 pm

seriously? how is acharachabynature not on this list?

20. aen

February 25, 2014 at 4:45 pm

just started my natural hair journey 5months ago and I haven’t given it any treatment yet.i just make it when I want to and if I don’t feel like it,i pour water on it,enjoy the chill feel,comb it,pat it low and rock my low cut.anytime it wants to get to waist length it shud..am not bothered.wonder why one shud spend so much on hair products and all to look\wear natural hair.

21. Chioma

February 25, 2014 at 4:53 pm

I LOVE Ekene’s blog! So detailed and easy to relate to!!!!
    And to all you people with your unwanted opinions, keep them to yourself. It is NOT your hair and you anonymously commenting on here, saying they look like mgbekes would OBVIOUSLY not stop them from being naturally fabulous so endeavour to waste your characters elsewhere.
    Yes, to each their own, fine and alright. I myself am not natural, but I do support the natural movement! It goes beyond the hair; it also creates a black-women-supporting-other-black-women system to embrace their hair/themselves in any form.
    Yes, there’s freedom of opinion but must you be so negative? Does it emotionally enrich your life and add naira bills to your pocket? Nawa sha.

• uzzy

June 11, 2015 at 12:52 pm

What’s the name of her blog

22. NaijaPikin

February 25, 2014 at 6:59 pm

And to all the relaxer folks, you can still learn a thing or 2 from here. You too can have relaxed healthy hair. Most of the products are good for any hair (shampoos, conditioners, leave in conditioners, moisturizers, oil, etc). While i had a perm, i used all “natural hair products” and my relaxed hair was flawless and stretched below my shoulders.

23. Grrrrrrrrrtttttfg

February 25, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Some Black women tufiakwa!

24. Chic Carpenta

February 25, 2014 at 7:47 pm

……………..I wondering? Where are all the Brothers in the house? *Sarcastic Smiley 😀

25. Nonye

February 25, 2014 at 9:20 pm

These hair don’t look natural, if it is I wonder what machine twisted it that way. Looks more like dred locks & dred locks is not natural except u were born that way of which u know natural dred locks don’t look good or healthy either. As much as I’m not a fan of weaves & extensions I flaunt my hair as much as I can cos luckily for me it’s dark , long & I get compliments. Still not a fan of #team natural# don’t give women complex by intimidatingly them with your selfish ambition. Any woman with hair knows its really difficult maintaining natural hair especially if you are not weaving it (my hair used to break combs when it was still natural lol).
    If you are preaching dred locks under the name of natural sorry you need to rethink.

• Ijeoma Eboh

February 26, 2014 at 7:14 pm

I don’t understand what you are trying to say. At all. None of these women’s hair looks like dreadlocks…

• NaijaPikin

February 26, 2014 at 8:13 pm

HOw is dred locks not natural? You are not making sense. There is the option to lock up your own hair as well as the option to add extentions and lock it in your hair. If you choose the 1st, its all natural.

and how do these leadie look like they have dreds? please look again or get a new pair of glasses.

• browneyedgirl

March 19, 2014 at 11:17 am

From under what rock did you crawl out? I can help you find it.

26. HNB

February 25, 2014 at 10:57 pm

Great list! I look forward to exploring some of the ones I don’t recognise. Thanks for sharing. Maybe one day i’ll make the list 😉

27. fagabmiye Olusolape

February 25, 2014 at 11:16 pm

team natural rocks!!! been reluctant but i think im going for it….quick question though, do i have to chop my hair off completely?? or just the relaxed ends?

• Chika

February 26, 2014 at 1:45 pm

You can either do the big chop by cutting off all your relaxed ends, or transition gradually and cut the relaxed ends when you feel you have enough natural hair growth.

28. Ifyjams

February 26, 2014 at 12:56 am

Kinky Apothecary? Leave in the kinks? Natural Nigeria? O Naturals? You can not talk about nigerian natural hair bloggers without mentioning those names. Na wa for this half list!

29. Trina

February 26, 2014 at 1:27 am

What about kinky apothecary, Care for your hair, Woman in the jungle, The mane captain? Ve never heard of half of this list before. Anyway guess it’s good to be introduced to new blogs

30. Trina

February 26, 2014 at 1:28 am

Oh also rustic beauty

31. yeahisaidit

February 26, 2014 at 2:07 am

whats the use in pointing out that hair is “waist length” when it actual is only such when stretched out or straightened?? does this not illustrate some sort of complex? who cares how long it is when it is stretched or straightened when most of the time it is NOT worn in that state? embrace your hair even it shrunken, NATURAL state.

• Anonymous

February 28, 2014 at 10:10 am

Thanks You!

32. Uche

February 26, 2014 at 2:20 am

This girl is Nigerian too. And she has locs

33. Shanday

February 26, 2014 at 2:48 am

@retta, I ve had locks for 8 yrs now but my problem is getting a good loctician. Where do you lock your hair?

• Miss Anonymous

February 26, 2014 at 9:39 am

Hi. If you are in Lagos try Chukwuma on Opebi road. 07038465686. He does home service too.

34. Eva

February 26, 2014 at 3:13 am

I was natural my whole teenage years and was so happy to get a relaxer. After 8 years of relaxer burns, I returned back to my natural hair. Relaxed or natural, “mgbeke” or not. Our hair decision is our choice. No need for hating or insulting people for their choices, rather lets appreciate each other.

• labelle

February 26, 2014 at 11:08 am

Thank you oh. It’s really not that serious. It’s only hair. Why can’t we women get along? lol.

35. adaigbo

February 26, 2014 at 7:17 am

have anyone tried Keratin mask and straightening? believe me its better compared to relaxers. infact once you Keratin, no more relaxers for your hair and you can blow-dry, straighten, curl, twist as you like.

• Fancy

February 26, 2014 at 10:16 am

so where can one get this keratin treatment. Any recommendations please?

• peyton

February 26, 2014 at 10:17 am

Were can I buy that keratin mask pls in nigeria? Me thinks me will need it. I don’t relax often.probaly twice a year at most.any hair you choose shld be ur damn bizness natural alokoko anyone. Speaking of which why don’t these team naturals weave their natural hair and carry it? Just a question dnt bite me

36. Toni

February 26, 2014 at 8:51 am

Wah m I doin here?
    Redirect mε if am lost plss _cos i don’t c any oda gud bad guys like I here..
    I Got a curious question tho_ do these Naturals
    come wit d usual ‘itchy & scratchy show’?
    u know like wen ur tryin 2hav a tête-à-tête wiv ur gurl n she keeps tappin’ & pattin down her hair inna frenzy- leavin u 1derin y all d fuss if its so uncomfy..
    Sistaz any help?

@ jcsgrl, I do beliv d ryt spellin is *nyash*! i tink

• L'afrique

February 27, 2014 at 3:56 am

You’re correcting someone else’s spelling?

• Tee-Y

September 1, 2015 at 4:59 pm

Like seriously???? Lol!!

37. Wole

February 26, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Wow….great list. LolasCurls (who I’m close to) is also a medical doctor who is currently specialising in clinical dermatology. OK I love her, she’s my sister! Big ups to all the natural sisters. Don’t get fooled, beauty isn’t what Hollywood or the media says, its in our own individual eyes

38. Jho

February 26, 2014 at 2:07 pm

how didnt you include myafricanhairitagestyle.wordpress.com????? She is just the bombest. One of the earliest i came across in my natural hair journey. Her methods really helped me. y’all shud check it out. and by the way, its just hair. please let us hear word and stop all this banter. do what u want with you own head, its between you and your God.

39. Tosin

February 26, 2014 at 4:56 pm

KLNaturals! KLNaturals!! KLNaturals!!!

40. Ijeoma Eboh

February 26, 2014 at 7:12 pm

Clearly some people did not read all the way to the end but this list is not comprehensive and I will be making a part 2 based on all of your recommendations. I did not presume to know every Nigerian natural blogger, but I am excited that there is strong allegiance to some individuals. Stay tuned for a part 2 about bloggers and another post about salons/stores/brands!

• thelma

March 11, 2014 at 4:49 pm

You should take a look at TheNaturalNigerian.wordpress.com

41. Chika

February 26, 2014 at 11:34 pm

@jcsgirl: It sounds like that blowout may have given you heat damage o. If your hair texture has not been the same since the blowout, my dear that’s not a good sign. I’m terrified of heat damage. Try threading your
    hair instead. That’s how I blowout my hair without heat. Check out Simplycre8eve on YouTube. She has some very helpful videod on it.

42. Noola

February 27, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Abeg whatever Jare…. People still wearing make up, threading eyebrows bla bla bla we are all fake jor

43. LARD Girl

February 27, 2014 at 11:46 pm

Please does anyone know where I can thread my hair into the nice styles we did in the 70s like Pineapple and Eko Bridge? I live in Ajah but will go as far as VI if the salon is well recommended. Thanks!

44. Nnenna

February 28, 2014 at 1:41 am

My girl Geri is on the list! Omalicha nwa!

45. Amma Mama

March 3, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Oh wow, I didn’t know her Chizi was your little cousin. I love her hair, channel and her energy. She is so beautiful. Like big cousin, like little cousin. Great list!! I was introduced to some naturalistas I didn’t know about 🙂

46. oyin

March 8, 2014 at 8:31 am

Its great to see Nigerian natural hair bloggers/youtubers bcos most of the popular ones are Americans. Its time for Nigerian women to address the ongoing hatred for their hair from grandmothers, to babies Already perming/relaxing and wearing wigs. Its second nature to them and doesnt matter if you poor, u will have money for ur hair. Yeah, i know some relax to make their hair more manageable. However, Nigerian women stop being lazy and take time to take better care of ur hair. And to those complaining oh, natural hair looks rough, untidy stop whinning and learn to be confident. So many good conditioners, hair crema/oil to soften and tame down frizz. Learn to accept what God gave you, and find beauty in uniqueness not standard.

47. Alexandria

March 11, 2014 at 4:40 pm

I’ve really learnt a lot from these blogs as I recently big chopped too too, thenaturalnigerian.wordpress.com has also been helpful in recent times. #NaturalDey

48. Dee

March 11, 2014 at 4:53 pm

TheNaturalNigerian.wordpress.com Although she’s new to the blogsphere, she’s been quite helpful and very real.

49. Janyl Benyl

March 12, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Great Hair Haven – greathairhaven.com
    Quite new on the block, but looks very promising

50. Chibugo

March 13, 2014 at 11:35 pm

bigchopped 3 weeks ago.still enjoying the fresh air and my twa. believe me, our curls are beaurrriful. when i was relaxed, i never knew i even had a choice. it was a given that only deeper lifers had natchi hair, but i’m so loving my baby afro now. such a breath of fresh air, and with no further threat of the burns from relaxers(oh God the burns!). but i still believe its a matter of choice. do whatever suits u, just dont jump on any bandwagon for the heck of it. i”m in love with my hair though;-)#natural hair rocks!

51. Chibugo

March 13, 2014 at 11:41 pm

beautiful hair. natural hair is beautiful oh! but please dont be hatin on people who want to get their hair relaxed. its a marra of choice, methinks. i’m natural myself, but i still see it from both sides as all the females in my fam are relaxed. and these blogs are great. i stalk almost all of em. blogaholic, eh?

52. Bello

March 17, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Hi Klassy Kinks, really love your blog. But am an office type, how can a keep natural hair without any local style (Plaiting, with thread or Didi) and still look office type.

53. Noellie

March 25, 2014 at 10:14 am

I think relaxed and unrelaxed. Both are natural hair. I personally don’t like weaves and braids(too painful) but I ignored my relaxed hair watched it break from Midback(when I 1st relaxed after secondary school) to ear length. I started caring for it last year, no realaxers for 6months. My new hair was beautiful, I considered cutting all the relaxed ends off but I got a job and in 1 month, I couldn’t cope with the hair anymore I just had to relax it. I’m in awe of ladies that can keep up with the hair and work. At the end of the day, it’s just hair. Maybe next time I’ll do the thread thing because truely if you look beyond the clothes and lack of make up, some of these mgbeke’s have beautiful healthy hair and some have horribly damaged hair. It’s all about how you take care of it. My own 5cents sha..

54. aNaijaBabe

April 19, 2014 at 4:02 pm

The issue of natural hair in Nigeria is not as clear cut as in the West. In Naija, most women relax their hair coz they believe it is easier to manage. Many women with softer hair don’t care to do so. Even though Afro’s are very much associated with the Negroid race, in African tradition, it is considered “unkemt” for a woman to leave her hair without braiding etc. I guess the big kinky afro thing is AA women’s way of saying “We can also wear our own hair”. But having healthy hair that you love and are comfortable with is the most important thing.

55. anyee

April 28, 2014 at 3:47 pm

i’ve been natural for almost two years, i have no regrets but i also respect people who choose to have their hair relaxed. beauty is about you and how you feel. i’ve gotten a lot of comments about my hair both good and bad but in all i don’t care. its about what makes me happy

56. MaryK

April 29, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Wow! Thank you for a such wonderful post! So many beautiful and useful things! I’m sure, I will use some of your advices! And also, if you like to know something new about hairstyles and how to make yourself every day new and different, visit my blog! I will happy if somebody will find something new and interesting on my page! Wellcome!

57. Mary

May 11, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Thanks! Will try to visit their website. Also, if you have queries about natural hair you can visit our site too. Thanks!

58. ARAMIDE

July 10, 2014 at 10:43 pm

I couldn’t stop laughing,am loving it interesting comment from all

59. Mary

September 15, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Thanks for suggesting these fellow naturalistas. Don’t forget Natural Haircare News naturalhaircarenews.com too

60. eve

September 17, 2014 at 9:36 am

Nice one! I like the outfit of the characters. Wish i could do the same thing too but im not that techie.i like the outfit of “from farmer to warden”.. really interesting

61. Mary

September 23, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Hello Thanks suggesting fellow naturalista to follow. Maybe you can visit and consider our website too at naturalhaircarenews.com Thank you! 🙂

62. Oluchi

October 13, 2014 at 8:08 am

Its super cool just knowing am not in this alone. Just been natural for a little bit over a year now and the experience have been everything–like both the bad and good. I feel so proud of my hair and just love it to bits but I must confess it has not been all rosy but anyways I just cant wait for my hair to grow longer. Patience and determination are really needed for this.
    Thanks for the list though and kudos to my fellow naturals

63. Mne

January 10, 2015 at 3:40 pm

I honestly believe relaxing goes deeper than the convenience people talk about. As for me, altering my hair is telling God you made a huge mistake when you made my hair coily and wiry and kinky. That is simply what that means. I know God made Adam and Eve naked, but after the fall, he was the one that also killed an animal to make clothing for them. Therefore that they were born naked doesn’t mean after the fall, they should remain naked. But even that analogy doesn’t fit. People have deeper insecurities than we see. When I started growing my hair, I was deeply insecure. I’m a lawyer, there is a set standard among your colleagues. There was a day someone touched my hair and said ‘wetin be this? No church? No church make you no relax? How can one say my hair is a mistake from God. The Arabs know better, Armenians know better, bla, bla bla. If you know that the creator of this mgbeke considers it so special that he even knows how many of them are on your head, you will find a way to embrace it Sometimes I prefer my hair to be free and wild. There is a freedom and exhilaration I feel. I’m not under pressure to be someone else. Shrink on girl, and should anyone have a problem with that, go as my maker. That was what liberated me from my insecurities. Now my hair has grown and is big and baaaaaad. The same ones that asked wetin be this now envy it.

64. Comfort

February 20, 2015 at 11:28 pm

Its good to keep our natural hair because that’s what we have n we can never ever have the straight hair we dream of…I have just start keeping my natural hair so wish me goodluck. My white friend ask me if he could touch my real natural hair n i was embarrassed because I was not carrying my natural hair…m tired of trying to make my hair straight I want to allow my hair have its freedom so joking us n say yes to the black hair freedom. Comfort

65. Mary

May 13, 2015 at 6:24 am

Awesome. Thank you for recommending these natural hair bloggers, will definitely check them for more natural hair inspiration and tips. Have a nice day! 🙂

66. Janet

September 24, 2015 at 1:16 pm

I’ve always thought either relaxed or not, natural hair is natural hair until I read some posts here. We are all Nigerians and I strongly think as long as I’m not fixing a weavon natural hair is natural either relaxed or not.

67. Ezinne

November 23, 2015 at 10:09 am

afriziny.WordPress.com

naijagirlnextdoor

68. mzTeeJhay

June 22, 2016 at 12:36 am

Uhmmm… so I’ve been reading most of the comments and found that there is so much hate toward those that decide to keep relaxing their hair. Thing is, its NOT your hair so evr’y one should mind their own business. This natural hair thing, as good as it looks, is just a trend and will soon go just like it came. I also got entangled in this natural hair trend for close to 11 months now and found that it almost became like an idol plus, its not meant for me. I’d spend hours trying to detangle, blow-dry, curl, style and all sorts, eating all my studying time since I’m a student in the university. I’m going to relax next month and planning on stretching my relaxer by 6 months to a year. To all those relaxed hair chics, you also can have long hair if you stretch relaxer, trim old ends, do NOT overlap on relaxed ends, moisturize, eat healthy and most of all, enjoy your hair. PS. No one should come at me, telling me about God-given hair, the same God said we shouldn’t idolize

69. mzTeeJhay

June 22, 2016 at 12:38 am

For references, look at YouTubers; youlovemegs and sistawithrealhair

70. Bella Disuja

December 12, 2016 at 9:52 am

Best online hair extensions are available here for all types of hairs. We are providing hair extensions at least price with different styles and colors.
    Deep curly hairstyles

71. Jaybushkinky

January 27, 2017 at 10:22 am

Great

72. daayur

March 17, 2017 at 10:25 pm

nice post, Nigerians are really trying in blogging this days

73. Liberal Africana

March 16, 2018 at 7:00 pm

I think there’s a large misconception about natural hair, I’ve been natural for almost two years now and I haven’t regretted it since. Fine my hair did have a lot of ups and downs that almost made me reconsider but all in all I’m in love with my hair and the moment I started loving my hair I started loving everything that made me black. Natural hair isn’t a trend it’s acceptance. I’m also a student just by the way but I always make time for myself
    This is my hair regimen :
    On Mondays-saturdays I just moisturize my hair daily with water, coconut oil and Shea butter
    On Wednesday I do hot oil treatments
    Most of the products I use on my hair I make them myself (DIY) like my curling cream, my cream based leave in conditioner and most times my deep conditioner. And I deep condition every Sunday. Maintaining natural hair isn’t tedious nor expensive as most people think . All I know is that I’m never relaxing again because all the chemical burns and alopecia and emotional trauma relaxing has cost me is still fresh on my mind.
    But to every man he’s own all I know is that everyone that made fun of my hair and told me I looked unkempt are now asking me for my natural hair regimen ?
    #naturalhairrules✊