Features

Asake Okin: What’s Your Genotype? The New Pick Up Line

Recently I was discussing with a friend of mine that the new pick up line in Lagos is “What is your genotype?” Initially, it felt like a random question but in the last couple of months, it has become rampant.  During our first conversation, a guy inquired about my genotype before asking about other personal details like age, relationship status, employment status, family size and the list goes on.

A friend’s best-friend was looking to settle down with someone other than his girlfriend of 10 years because his girlfriend, like him, was AS. We got talking one day and he asked for my genotype. As soon as I responded, he wanted to know whether I was willing to settle down. “But Amina is your girlfriend” I said. With a lot of emotion, he told me their kids might have painful crises. I told him I was not ready to settle down so he moved on. How long will he continue to look for someone with the AA genotype?

Last week, I was discussing this post with a colleague of mine who felt people should not let genotype stop them from marrying the love of their lives. She gave an example of a friend who married someone with the SS genotype and they have a beautiful daughter. His wife’s parents who are well read knew the consequences of getting married as AS, but decided to go ahead out of love. “Stop planning everything, quit playing God” she concluded. Another colleague joined the conversation and narrated the story of a family with 4 sickle cell children; they recently buried another child and the youngest asked his mom if he was next in line of death by crisis. I understand there are things we cannot prevent but having a sickle cell child is not one of them.

The conversation kept replaying in my head so I reached out to a doctor friend to school me on genotype. Here is a transcript of our discussion.

ASÀKÉ-Ọ̀KÍN: Can you educate me on genotypes?

Dr. Olufisayo: Genotypes are the genes you are made of. Let’s keep it simple. If you are AA, you can marry AS or SS. If, you marry AS, you have 50 percent chance of having AA or AS per birth. If as AA, you marry SS, you only have the SS partner to worry about. All your children will be AS. Now if you are AS and you marry AS, you have 25 percent chance of having AA or SS and 50 percent chance of having AS. So it’s that 25 percent that’s the bother. If AS marries SS, 50 percent chance of AS or SS

ASÀKÉ-Ọ̀KÍN: What about SC and AC. Are they genotypes?

Dr. Olufisayo: SC and AC are also genotypes. If SC marries AC,their offspring will be AS, SC, AC, CC (I don’t know if CC exists, I have never heard of such case)

ASÀKÉ-Ọ̀KÍN: From reading, SS, CS and CC are carriers

Dr. Olufisayo: Not totally correct. You see we have normal and abnormal genes. A is the normal human gene while all other forms are abnormal genes which results largely form mutations. If one has AA, one is homogeneous and can be said to be normal. If you have one normal- (A) and any of the abnormal gene, then you are a carrier. Literal meaning: you carry the abnormal gene and you can transmit to your offspring. If you are homogenous for the abnormal gene: SS, CC then that person has full blown disease.

ASÀKÉ-Ọ̀KÍN: I had a discussion with my colleague and she felt planning our life based on genotype isn’t a good idea. According to her, she has a relative who married an SS and they are living happily ever after.

Dr. Olufisayo: I don’t think it’s a good idea too, but one must be aware of consequences. An informed decision helps you to plan for potential consequences.

ASÀKÉ-Ọ̀KÍN: Yes, they are aware. However, they are of the opinion than love is greater than genotype.

Dr. Olufisayo: Remember I said percentages not absolute. AS can marry AS and have all AA children.By the same token, they can have all SS

ASÀKÉ-Ọ̀KÍN: I understand there is prenatal testing – where a foetus can be terminated if discovered to be SS.

Dr. Olufisayo: It really depends on personal values. Abortion is not acceptable to all. Sometimes, it might be best to sidestep the possibility of having such child. What if the next five conceptions are SS? And one keeps aborting them. Secondly, there are economic costs to that option. Not all can afford prenatal testing and abortion.

ASÀKÉ-Ọ̀KÍN: Is pre-natal testing and evacuation considered as abortion?

Dr. Olufisayo: Prenatal testing is an entity on its own while abortion is another. Prenatal testing, simply put, refers to means by which a fetus (unborn child) is tested for different diseases. Prenatal testing helps prepare the family for what lies ahead. Abortion is a general term used for termination of pregnancy. It could be spontaneous, commonly referred to as miscarriage; or voluntary termination, that is, a patient requests for removal. Evacuation is the procedure performed by the doctor to remove all conception products from the mother’s uterus.

I have heard stories of people’s crises, their experiences vary. While a few had an easy life dealing with crises; others had a hard time. Simple things the other “genotype group” take for granted like cold weather can trigger a crises situation for an SS or SC. If there was a kit or application that could predetermine the genotype of a fetus before conceiving, it would have been advisable to marry any “type”

Personally I have gotten to that point I consider my unborn children before making any decision. So, before you go ahead nurturing uncontrollable feelings for the opposite gender, if you are not AA, don’t be ashamed to use the pick up question ” What’s your genotype? “

Till next time, analyze your genotype compatibility.

Photo Credit: jejooweb.com

ASÀKÉ-Ọ̀KÍN is the other girl in my life, who blogs when she is inspired to do so and recently added amateur photography to her life outside her Supply Chain career. She blogs at http://asake-okin.blogspot.com/

1. CarliforniaBawlar

March 6, 2014 at 6:32 pm

An easy take on such a ‘heavy’ question?
    The preclude to babies is sex right? Sooooo….If i’m not thinking of smashing you, i wouldn’t give a hoot what your genotype is. So if you really really think about it, it is in fact a very sexy pickup line….
    “Dang girl! You soo fine! Whats your genoype? ’cause all i want to do right now is rip your clothes off and make you have my (healthy) babies”
    #pantsdrop

• Mamo

March 6, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Looooooool

• abby

March 6, 2014 at 7:14 pm

lmfao…

• Lola

March 6, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Lmao uncontrollably. …

• Iris

March 6, 2014 at 8:48 pm

LMBAO. You, my dear, are rude LOL! On a more serious note, somewhere between the first meaningful kiss and the proposal the conversation needs to come up for some people, depending on your philosophy. If you’re AA it’s not so much an issue. If you’re AS on the other hand, it’s probably something you’ve already had at the back of your mind. Some people are willing to take chances and forge ahead but I personally don’t know if I can stand the heartache, so for me the sooner you find out the better. As far as pickup lines go however, it is a horrendous one.

• Stephanie

March 7, 2014 at 1:41 am

LOLZZZZ u are very funny!
      blogsvila.blogspot.com

• Purpleicious Babe

March 22, 2014 at 8:55 pm

lol @ healthy babies…
      Yup had that pick up line.
      The dude aint risking anything for the sake of what “love”? Nather, oti o… lol.

Each to their own. We do have many AS than AA/SS. I guess “faith” comes into play the most.

2. marietta

March 6, 2014 at 6:40 pm

I recently had to go take a genotype test. My future hubby’s AS, he was adamant I do a test not because he wanted us to break up but just to know what prayer points to pray with and to protect the beautiful babies we are going to get. Im AA. Whoop! Whoop!

3. Jpori

March 6, 2014 at 6:57 pm

If an AS carrier marries an AS carrier, the chances of having AA is 25%, 50% for AS ans 25% for SS in every pregnancy. The sickle cell anemia is heart wrecking when you child dies or when they are in crisis. Love conquers all and the Lord is faithful to some. But how are you to know what yours will be. It is a very difficult situation and nobody knows the right answer.

4. fob

March 6, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Hmm I’ve shed a few tears on this AS matter sha……sigh

5. Middy O

March 6, 2014 at 7:58 pm

I don’t think its worth the pain, trauma and emotional turmoil that comes with having sickle cell children. Please know your genotype and shine your eyes very well!

6. Que

March 6, 2014 at 8:08 pm

SS matter been killing some inspiring love stories since forever…. I pray for medical breakthroughs that can help d world of carriers generally have esaier lives…amen.

7. DJ STELCH

March 6, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Believe You Me, That’s The Best Pick Up Line Of All Time For Me. Though I’m AA But I Ask That Question From The Word GO. If You Aint AA or AS, Lets Call It A Quit Nah Nah Nah cause I Dont Wana Bring Kids Into This World To Go Through Pains And Agony All In The Name Of Love.. Lai Lai..

• Ada Nnewi

March 7, 2014 at 11:43 am

God help the female that is unfortunate enough to “husband you up”….

• Diana

March 7, 2014 at 2:31 pm

You really need more education on this issue

8. Zolar

March 6, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Thanks Asake-Okin for this writeup.Many will take learnings and get educated.I lost few friends to this ignorance.

9. Hope

March 6, 2014 at 8:47 pm

well i am SC, better run away from me….

• Soraya

March 6, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Well, there is hope for you- go marry oyibo but on your journey, take care to avoid Italians, Jews and Arabs- they carry sickle cell anaemia like us Africans too o!

• Asake-Okin

March 7, 2014 at 11:32 am

There is no need for anyone to run away from you. You need a matured and understanding AA or better still a white person

10. Like

March 6, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Nice post. A subtle way to a very important topic

@ BellaNaija, you didn’t include the link to her blog

You didn’t include her

11. pynk

March 6, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Nigerians make you seem like the billionaire that won the jackpot without playing just because you are AA

• Bee

March 7, 2014 at 9:04 am

True that! whwn we are all humans. Dats so not right

12. Sola Ojewunmi

March 6, 2014 at 10:06 pm

I’ve seen at least three adults (one of them in her fifties) who have CC genotype and are living normal lives. CC is not a sickle cell disease.It’s good people know their phenotype (popularly called genotype) so that if sickle cell carriers want to get married,they can do so based on informed decision given by a genetic counselor. But should you live in a country where phenotype misdiagnosis is common, I’ll suggest you find out your phenotype in at least three places to avoid being a victim of wrong diagnosis as I’ve seen that reported severally.

• Busola

March 7, 2014 at 1:47 am

Phenotype is not the same as genotype. Phenotypes are the physical attributes while genotypes are concerned with genes.. Just genes!

• Debutante

March 7, 2014 at 9:36 am

Over – sabi’s be confusing themselves. Phenotype and genotype are two different things.

13. furo

March 6, 2014 at 10:23 pm

I’m SS… married to AA, I have two lovely kids, both AS(obviously) my hubby is Gods gift to women, but i will keep him to myself :-)))i hardly have crises, except for preggy periods. i usually spend 7 days in hospital after delivery and my hubby never leaves my side for one day. when i moved to yankee, i discovered i had something called haemoglobin F, which is a oxygen carrying haemoglobin thus my less severe crises episode.(thats a testimony for another day) Phd is around the corner for me now.
    what am i saying? Life is too short to worry about death, as death in itself is inevitable. you can have it all. you might miss the chance at Love if you wear genotype on your sleeves. I had a guy who left me two months after i told him i was SS, he got married the following year, while i was still in tears… He is still looking unto God for a child today, i pray the Lord answers him speedily…But you never really can tell. I am not advocating abortions, but i am all for foetus testing, in preparation for what lies ahead. Above all, even in the eye of the storm, the prince of peace gives calm to your nerves. so in that situation, that seem all turbulent…perfect love will cast out fear.

• Babe

March 7, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Your response is so refreshing! God continue to bless your home and keep your health intact…Amen

• Furo

March 8, 2014 at 1:20 am

Txs babe!

• Bleed Blue

March 7, 2014 at 2:03 pm

I want to hi-5 you, hug you and hi-5 you again. What a great outlook!

• KingsQueen

March 8, 2014 at 1:18 am

Everyone was born with HbF but the level decreases after the 6th month of birth when the Adult Haemoglobin’s HbA and HbS/C become pronounced. HbF is actually able able to bind oxygen better than other adult forms. If HbF remains the predominant form of haemoglobin after birth, the number of painful episodes would decrease in patients with sickle-cell disease.

Just thought to throw that in… I’m glad your one of the few with higher levels of HbF. I pray more research is done in this area

• Furo

March 8, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Yes my hbf is really high, and I have been an interesting specimen with doctors over the years, I’m over 30, but my hbf is still intact and last time I checked it even increased in percentage. Hbf should have been exhausted since I was 6 months old. If this isn’t a miracle, and a pointer that God still arises for His own, I wonder what is.

14. Diamond

March 6, 2014 at 10:57 pm

I’ve had a few heated arguments with people over this issue, let’s not deceive ourselves, love does not conquer all. I have a sister, she’s SS, everytime I look at her, I feel this pity for her, cnt live a normal life, she does not even have toasters not to talk of getting married meanwhile my sister that is younger than her is married already, she has leg sores on her 2 ankles that refuses to heal and when it heals, it opens almost immediately again, she’s always in and out of hospitals and I jst look at her sometimes and wonder if my parents were better enlightened, if an innocent person will have had to suffer all these pains, she’s my elder sister and I never wish for the pain and discomfort she feels on anybody else I love or jst even anybody. Pls and Pls, be concerned abt genotype, it is important, even as parents, you wnt have rest of mind, my mum cnt even allow her go far out of her sight for school or anything cos she’s scared. I think those that throw caution to the wind have never had the experience or trauma of having a sickle celled sibling or family member. Genotype is very important to me, love does NOT conquer all. NB: we’re all still hoping and praying that my sis will find a man that loves her enough to settle down with her cos she’s so sad most days and she deserves happiness, all her age groups are married already with kids sef, join us in prayers.

• ao

March 7, 2014 at 12:57 am

And to think that today I was whining to my hubby that I have not had all the children that I want; instead of praising God for the ones that he has given me. Sometimes, it takes the plight of another person to put life in perspective. I’m praying for your sister.

• lamide

March 7, 2014 at 1:01 am

It is well with your sister in Jesus Name. Huge hugs

• sigh

March 7, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Marrow transplant, if you can afford it or lobby for money.

• KingsQueen

March 8, 2014 at 1:24 am

Hydroxyurea… ask her haematologist (i assume she does see a specialist and if not she needs to register with the LUTH sickle-cell clinic for better follow up) about this drug. It aids with crisis reduction and chronic leg sore healing…

15. Simsi

March 6, 2014 at 11:15 pm

I’m AS. Dnt knw d genotype of my bf and I dnt even know how to ask. I’m just too happy right now and I dnt wnt nytin spoilin my hapiness. If he shld turn out to be AS ehn. I’l cry o but I’ll let it go noni. I tink he’s AA tho. Sebi dey fall sick easily nd he does.

• Bee

March 7, 2014 at 9:03 am

My dear just ask u aint spoiling anythg u jst have to plan it child u have. You can still be happy about it. People these days make it see like being AS is a plague

16. Merciful1

March 6, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Thank you darling Asake-Okin, I’m informed, I’m running to the hospital for a genotype test.

17. VictorKyle

March 6, 2014 at 11:29 pm

Well,aint gat no worries..

18. Adebola

March 7, 2014 at 12:08 am

Very nice & informative write up. 4 ladies dat fall into d AS category & its oda brodas lyk me pls feel very comfortable to ask o! Dis thing is a matter of life and most importantly, d lives of d innocent kids dat would be brought forth. We can’t afford 2 watch them suffer 4 wot they know nothing about. PLEASE ask b4 u get very serious wit ur partner 2 avoid stories dat touch. GOD help us all!

19. omobola

March 7, 2014 at 6:18 am

Love d name, love d write up and d new catch up line too. Love or not, d genotype is a big determinant of d future of d union. AJIUN OKIN

20. Bibi

March 7, 2014 at 8:52 am

I have a friend who is the only SS among 9 children. i can tell you she has suffered and is still suffering. She has a permanent sore on one leg which never heals, always in and out of hospitals. She couldn’t complete her OND cos of crisis. She’s at home just giving support function to her married sisters who are way younger. She’s the third child and her parents went on to have 6 others. I think its very important to consider genotype. I won’t judge if love conquers all or not, I just want you to think of the innocent being you are bringing into the world who will suffer more than you when the crises begin.

21. Bee

March 7, 2014 at 9:01 am

My Dad is AS so is my mum and they were lucky their 1st kids were AA AS and AS and they got married back in the days when people werent fully aware of all these even if they had ideas. If she had another child i am sure that child would have turned out SS. Its not easy but we thank God for prenatal tests though its very expensive in Nigeria

22. SamOsh

March 7, 2014 at 10:49 am

@ ASAKE, very topical subject, I did my genotype test several years before I got married and did a repeat durring courtship and ensured my wife did too. This I think should be standard practice and should be replicated across board. Our status today is a product of the choices we made in the past and the future will be informed/deformed by the choices we are making right now. Thanks ASAKE for sharing.

23. Kleberson

March 7, 2014 at 10:54 am

Hehehe!!
    This is really getting serious in lagos, especially.
    I know a female friend who is head over heels in love with a guy. Guy was interested until he learnt the babe was AS and he is AC. My friend is heart broken as they cannot progress their relationship.
    This new pickup line will help prevent heart breaks like this. it will do us a whole lot of good than evil, safe guarding our unborn kids. you will agree with me if you have a sibling or friend who is SS.
    I have had many and its heart wrecking.

24. Magz

March 7, 2014 at 11:30 am

Asake, thanks for the write-up. I have always asked o. Always! Na style i dey use. There was one time i asked my ex-boyfriend then (before we started dating), “you sweat a lot on your palms, are you AA? Cos i heard it’s people with AA genotype that sweat on their palms” and he answered.
    Please always ask, before it is too late. My mum and dad are AS and they were so lucky to have 3 AA kids and just one AS (that’s me) and i am the second born o so sometimes all those scientific predictions do not work.
    If you’ve ever worked in a hospital and been around sickle cell patients, you would know how to use your mouth and ask. Mbok, what’s your genotype? I can’t shout!

25. Modella

March 7, 2014 at 11:44 am

Same issue, I and my BF is As,we never knew until 2 yrs ago,infact,he was hiding it from me when he knows my genotype,I only got to see it last year..We have been dating like for yrs,am nt ready to give up,finding luv aint easy at all…I find it hard to trust,he is my best friend,my confidential,we are talking of getting married…I just can’t think of starting all over again…how do I even start,with all those wolves,called Men in sheep clothing…God know best..Am fully aware of all the consequence,let for me,I might be lucky,after given birth to one,I can adopt…Time will tell sha

26. Hmmmm

March 7, 2014 at 11:51 am

Personally, I’m going to be in relationship because it feels right, not because we are genetically compatible. The way I see it, if we are at risk of having sick babies, adoption is always an option. You are not a parent because a baby came out of your vagina. Life is not that serious

• Purpleicious Babe

March 22, 2014 at 9:07 pm

To an extent I agree to that “feels right”. Personally I am going with “gut”. You can be AA and if my “gut” aint feeling it or the spirit is telling me something aint right, I have no choice but to listen. While genotype matters alot to me, the fact is ” my gut feeling also matters to me”.

27. neola

March 7, 2014 at 12:06 pm

abi o, misdiagnosis in this naija.. i remember back then some 7 yrs ago when i was going into law school, and we were asked to do this phenotype test in a fed govt hospital..hmmm, this hospital did test me and wrote AS, i didnt even notice o..that is how there was a power cut and i had to go to another govt hospital to continue the tests, on getting there the dr saw my report and said you are AS, please see down i dneed to have a talk with you on your future relationship, im like no sir i am AA, cutting the long story short sha i had a retest and found out i was indeed AA..Naija hospitals sha…..

28. Dicey

March 7, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Unless you are AA…Please do ask this critical question…Life is too short to live it in misery of crises I can assure you. Also don’t be selfish and claim you are in love and bring into this already tough world children who would suffer crises simply because their parents decided to overlook issue they could prevent. The question you need to ask is why would I want to force Love to difficult test that would come when children are born as SS. Simply logic if you are AS find an AA. If you are SS ensure u find AA. Also please help us eliminate this problem by marrying rightly…don’t let the unborn children suffer unnecessarily..
    On a lighter mood….AA men are gradually becoming hot cake in the dating market oh… Grab one today!!!

29. Busola

March 7, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Few weeks into my relationship, my boyfriend asked for my genotype because he is AC. Although I am AA, so I don’t have to worry but pls if you are AS, SS, AC.. Ask!!! I beg you all, do not bring children into this world to suffer unnecessarily out of selfishness.. They would not forgive you! I have lost a friend to Sickle cell and what they go through is nota joke. Please be considerate to your future kids.

30. CRAINES

March 7, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Love the write up , great job!!!

31. CRAINES

March 7, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Love the write up…. Save yourself , your children, your family and the nation the trouble! Marriage has enough issues already , don’t add break it yourself!!!

32. larz

March 7, 2014 at 6:35 pm

I am getting really frustrated with this genotype situation.
    Knowledge is power, use it. I think it is a good idea to get a physical done and find out any genetic limitations you have. The plan is let that shape decisions you make about your future.
    Society in its usual way has created fear factors on these risks. They only gave us half the options (the two extreme) on what we can do. If faced with this, your options are
    Accept- play Russian roulette and hope to have healthy babies or plan to abort unhealthy babies. I personally don’t like abortion but this is for the general public.
    Avoid- ignore any situation that places your at risk. Avoid all ASs if you are also AS
    Transfer- adopts a baby nothing wrong with that. Lots of couples can’t make their own babies so it can be done or consider surrogate/ sperm donor.
    Reduce- Employ means such as assisted reproductive technology to ensure you both have babies that have both of your DNA.
    All these are realistic options, I don’t mind if individual making a choice that is appropriate to their situation. Those affected by these have a personal decision to make, whatever that means for them. What I hate is general perception that the first two are the only viable options. Rather than seeking ways to make the best of the situation, making informed decision on way forward, we have been encouraged/ steered (sometimes by so-called professionals too) to choosing the decision to avoid. Like Furo said, her ex refused to marry her because she was SS and he didn’t want the struggle, but so far he has been unable to conceive. I am not trying to make fun of him but it needs to be said. I bet, he probably wishes he went through difficult instead of none. In a world, where there are a lot of unseen risks, I would rather manage the risks that I know of, because let’s admit it, than avoid it. Let’s admit it. There are a lot more unknown risks!
    Sometimes, I see people, trade relationships that are true, compatible partners etc with manageable risks (genotype/ money/ status etc.) for messy relationships with people who do not pose those specific risks but bigger ones that aren’t.

33. Envee

March 7, 2014 at 9:30 pm

I’m surprised this doctor didn’t mention anything about pre-implantation genetic diagnosis (PGD). The last time I checked this was another way of avoiding having children with sickle cell, although the procedure is quite expensive, it is an option that some have had success stories with. Asake Okin, please get the Dr to educate us on this option biko

• Ola

June 1, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Remember most of these options are either emotionally difficult,very expensive or not available in Nigeria.

• Ola

June 1, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Also the risk is not merely about you but the baby who grows up with this debilitating pain

34. Furo

March 7, 2014 at 10:11 pm

When I met my husband, he was so much in love, he was willing for us to adopt rather than have me go thru the rigours of childbirth. I do not mock my infant, in fact I thank him, cause I would not have met my soulmate if He had not left me. Unseen risks like you mentioned and even unforeseen benefits… That why God will always be greater than us. People have to understand that the brevity of life means to let go of hurt, pain, maliciousness etc immediately and consistently hold on so verrrry tightly to anything no matter how small that rings joy, smile, happiness to us. There Might never be a second chance to love. And if it takes adoption, I’ve, foetus testing etc to be with that one person that makes you apply- so be it. Money can be counted, love can’t.

35. matty's babe

March 8, 2014 at 7:30 am

Asake okin, great job there! This is a very pertinent issue you trashed out in the simplest form. I got my genotype $ my man’s own done twice. When d relationship started getting serious $ did a reconfirmation of it again before marriage. Let’s save ourselves the agony $ pain this may cause in the future. Well done Asake Okin!

36. Jaennie Walker

March 8, 2014 at 10:21 am

Whatever love we feel four our spouse should also be pushed to our kids.. What’s the point of bringing a sickler baby(ies) into the world, and making them suffer, likewise us? It’s not worth it..not even minding the expenditure, sleepless nights, amidst all.. The greatest love you’ll show him/her as your lover, is finding out your genotype early, and ending it early enough before you two go deep… Also, i want to suggest that the ladies too should always know their Rhesus factor… Its as important as their genotype… Cheers!

37. anon

March 10, 2014 at 9:40 am

what i even do is not only asking, i take them to thr hospital and ask for a genotype test before i agree to date them o. cos guys can so lie just to get wat de want.

38. Afi

March 12, 2014 at 5:07 pm

I did not know the question “what is your genotype ” is a pick line. A friend asked me on two different occasions about my genotype. I told him i don’t know because i didn’t by then. I later took the test and got to know I am AA. But he never asked again

39. eebony

March 14, 2014 at 12:35 am

If you are not AS and dated someone who is AS,you dont know how lucky you are.
    If you haven’t witnessed SS in Crisis,i bet you dont know their pains,cos you would shed tears with them,i am AS and trust me that is my pick up line as a female,cos i av been through that road before,leaving a 2 yr relatnship was heart wrenching,but now,i am better informed and even educate my friends at will about the Genotype ish

40. dami

March 14, 2014 at 7:15 am

Its really not about you here now but rather ur kids. Its a painful feeling for them bu then reality is that the stress tends to tell on ur marriage over the years. I lost about 3 potential suitors cos of this as am AS but i went down on my knees and today am married and expecting and my husband is AA. Truly it became my pickup line as i found dat not asking almost immediately made moving on difficult and moving on was no option. Surrounded by grand uncles and mum’s friend who have to bury child after child cos of this,some even in 30s & 40s. In d end……let God lead u. My faith cld not carry marrying another with AS, Perhaps urs will. But i wont take the chance though nor will i recommend u do.

41. Ify

March 15, 2014 at 11:20 am

Love u loads. Hv almost d same story as urs, recently married bt no child yet. Got lots to be grateful abt, good job, abt to start my phd, hubby is aa & nt too bothered abt kids but i wnt one.

42. dami

March 15, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Time wont be long Ify. God hears our heart cries. To all those in such dilemma, trust God to lead u if u ask him to genuinely. The pain of losing a loved one is usually better imagined. Cheers to the future!

43. entrepreneurs factory

March 19, 2014 at 2:56 pm

it is very important to ask if not something might happen in the future.

44. B!

March 22, 2014 at 12:38 am

“A friend’s best-friend was looking to settle down with someone other than his girlfriend of 10 years because his girlfriend, like him, was AS.”

Wait what…
    So you mean this guy held down a girl for 10 good years and NOW he decides to do something about his genotype? In the ten years he was dating his girlfriend… this NEVER came up? That guy is a douche abeg.

• Asake-Okin

April 20, 2014 at 11:44 pm

Yes, they dated through out University, she wanted the pre-natal testing and evacuation while he wasnt gamed, when he finally agreed to do it, his parents wont give their blessing.. so he started looking for another girl

45. tobee

March 28, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Thanks asake okin fr ds piece of infor,a gr8er percentage of pple re yet to find out what there genetype is even though they weren’t alien to d subject. I was one of does pple some few yrs back,my intro was just few weeks away wen I found out I am AS and my fiance AC,it cud not hold. And ve lost another gr8 man after d 1st incident to this same genotype. Ve since not gotten anythin serioz as close to wat I had bfre,cos not every AA rtnship is good fr me.still trusting my father cos he wl do it fr me.

46. Ola

June 1, 2014 at 4:25 pm

I am SS and would rather have had this cheesy pickup line before investing in a relationship only to find out the guy is AS ,no way am I going to tempt fate and end up watching my child go through all I have to with sickle-cell .The pain is unbelievable!!!

47. Habeeb

August 21, 2016 at 2:06 pm

Hello! Can anyone tell me if there is genotype OS and what genotype can the get married to

48. Remilekun

August 30, 2016 at 12:26 am

Please I need an answer to this I am SC while my wife is AS we had two daughters their genotype are Ac and AS we recently had a baby boy but we are eager to do test for him to know his status but was told until he clock a year. Is there any other way we can know this, so our mind will be at rest… Our God has always been faithful and I never regret marrying my wife, we both love each other.

49. Ella

July 4, 2017 at 6:41 pm

Hi, my dad’s As and my mom’s AA. I’m the third child so whats my genotype, is it As?