Features

BN Reader, FOB, Shares The Story of Her Detention at the Geneva Airport Over the Authenticity of Her Handbag

BellaNaija.com

We hear stories of discrimination in the news, but we don’t really know the hurt until it hits close to home. We always encourage our readers to let go of stereotypes because it is extremely dangerous, and mostly hurtful. A BellaNaija reader who has asked to be referred to as ‘FOB’ went through an excruciating, and humiliating experience at the Geneva Airport. We hope that she finds justice soon. We also hope that more people will speak out against injustice. We hope that more people will push back and fight for what they deserve. We need to work together to build a better world for us, and our children.

BN thanks FOB for having the courage to tell her story.

***

I arrived Geneva from London at about 11:00am on British Airways Flight No. 726 on August 9th to pick my kids who had been in camp in Switzerland for 3 weeks from the airport.

After going through immigration with no issues, I was walking through the nothing to declare section when I was called aside by a gentleman for questioning. At this point, he didn’t introduce himself as a customs official.

He asked to search my bag which I handed over to him with my passport and at this point the first question he asked me was “where did you get your bag from? The streets?”. The question completely shocked me as I felt it was a very derogatory and personal question to be asked considering he didn’t find any drugs on me.

I responded by asking him why would I buy my bag from the streets and asked what the relevance of where I bought my bag from was. I also stated to him that I bought my bag from a Chanel shop in Dubai in December 2013 while on holiday and also informed him that my certificate was in the bag as proof of authenticity.

At this point, he asked me to empty out the content of my bag onto the table and he was taking the bag in. This was a very humiliating and demoralizing situation and experience for me. All my personal effects on the table like I was a criminal!

He took the bag in to the office and came back after 10minutes and told me categorically, that ” for them, as far as they are concerned my bag was a fake and they were seizing it”.

I asked him if he called Chanel to confirm the number on the certificate to them and he said he doesn’t have to because he knows the bag is a fake! At this point, I noticed another black lady was stopped and called aside on the same issue!

I then asked him why it was only 2 black women who were stopped out of all the 100s of travelers that arrived that morning and I told him he was been racist and why it was only our bags that were seized. To which he responded he can stop whoever he wants. For the whole 50minutes I was kept back with customs which delayed my pick up time for my children, not one single Caucasian was stopped and questioned! I stated to him again that this is exactly the case that happened to Oprah Winfrey when she came to Switzerland.

I asked him if it was because I am black that I wont be able to afford a Chanel bag. I further asked to speak with his supervisor. When the supervisor came out, I told him that I have my statement of account on my email which further proves my bag was bought from the shop. The supervisor was willing to consider this but the custom official who had been questioning me said “he doesn’t care about the invoice and he is not interested in seeing the invoice because as far as he is concerned, the bag is a fake”.

This last point further proved to me that he was definitely been racist towards as the statement of account would have been concrete proof to support my initial position.

Even when I kept telling him that my children were waiting for me at the airport and I was meant to pick them up at 11:30am, he didn’t show any sign of empathy! At this point, I was and I am completely traumatized as I have never experienced racism on such a blatant level.

When I realized that my children would be worried and concerned about not been picked up, I asked him for proof of documentation which would show that my bag was in their possession so I could pick my kids and not miss my flight back to London. It was only at that point that he mentioned that a form would be given to me and the bag would be sent to Chanel for authentication and then sent back to me.

I asked for a complaint form which he didn’t give me. I found it strange that what he gave me was a postal address to write a letter to.

I also asked for his name and again he refused to give his name. As a government official carrying out what should be due process, I was shocked that he refused to give his name.

By the time I was done with them and rushed off to pick my kids, I was in tears at been treated so shabbily just because I am black! My kids saw me in tears and when I told them what happened they were in tears and shock.

I intend to not only sue, but also share my experience via all available media options open as this is a very unjust and unfair treatment of black people.

I have been unable to have a restful night rest since Friday 8th as I keep replaying the event in my mind. I would not have expected such treatment from a country that I thought was enlightened in this century.

This situation is completely WRONG and I would be most grateful if this article could be shared to the millions of your fans all over the world as it is important that we call out this sort of situation.

At this point, I would like to remain anonymous but if this would give the article credibility, I would rather use my initials FOB as we are in discussions with a lawyer already.

Kind Regards,

FOB

Photo Credit
: Dreamstime | Christine Langer-püschel

1. Changing Faces

August 12, 2014 at 10:54 am

what a terrible experience… I hope you find justice. stay strong

• Wale

August 12, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Guess, it is a very good idea to leave your authentic Chanels at home when traveling to Europe. Take your Thai, Chinese or Oluwole versions instead but put a copy of the original certificate inside. Lol.

• AngelM

August 12, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Dear sis,
      I worked and lived in Swiss for over a period of 18years and I can simply tell you that what you’ve experienced is a classical example of what people of African origin has been experiencing for years in Switzerland.
      You’ll probably not be seeing that bag anymore as well (speaking from personal experience and situations similar to yours suffered by my fellow professional Africans) with genuine items ranging from watches to bags.
      Unfortunately, racism, sexism….etc is still prevalent in that country and the world at large.

2. Ms.Dazlle

August 12, 2014 at 10:56 am

God help us all………

3. Jane Public

August 12, 2014 at 10:59 am

Toh, I don’t know what to say. When did customs official become a spokesperson for the association of designers, that it is his duty to verify the authenticity of a bag. That is way out of scope of his jurisdiction. Chanel is even a French company and not Swiss, so how his own be. Even if you are wearing a fake Swiss watch, what is his business. Please sue, sue, sue and sue. Even if it to embarass Swiss immigration service. Last I checked “fake designer goods” are not on the list of prohibited items to have on your person at an airport, so he must explain why he felt it was his duty to examine your bag.

4. Amh

August 12, 2014 at 11:02 am

Thats appalling and highly degrading. The best is to sue my dear. Dont even reconsider. Ignorant racist slimy maggot.

• slice

August 12, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Fob while thinking of whether to sue or not, u or ur lawyer shd file a request with the airport authority to hold the tape of the incident. There’s surely a tape of that part of the airport. That tape will be ur best evidence. If the tape loss like this, it will be hard o

5. Fashionista

August 12, 2014 at 11:06 am

Hmmnnn Milan and France don’t play with counterfeit designer bags oh, I even hear it is constitutional to confiscate bags suspected to be fake. So travelers beware. Having said that, the fact that the officer refused to call Chanel quoting the control number, even after she insisted her bag was authentic and suggested he have a look at her bank statement, suggests that he was indeed being intentionally unfair.

Im sorry that happened to her and I can imagine how embarrassing that was.

6. No wonder

August 12, 2014 at 11:10 am

But madam, what’s the problem? That he stopped you or that he didn’t stop other Caucasians? Cos I don’t understand why you are mad. Yes there’s racism but it’s not every time you cry foul. This was just the case of an over zealous custom official and you have people like that everywhere irrespective of race. Come to nigeria and you would see custom official behaving in that same manner. Asking questions and refusing to budge. Will that still be racism is it’s black against black? Before anyone cries foul I have been treated worse in a European country before and I understand them given the situation in the world where black folks are at the bottom of the food chain and can be regarded as the scum of the earth. I am being realistic here. This your story will not hold water as the guy was only doing his job. I was even told that custom officials don’t even do half the job or pose half the questions that they are suppose to ask. The day they do, the airport will be blocked. Madam, you have no case Abeg

• Jane Public

August 12, 2014 at 11:35 am

He was doing his job to inspect the authenticity of a bag? Are you frigging kidding me? Okay, let us assume in your alternate universe where harassment is okay, that he was doing his job. She presented a certificate, she gave him the option of looking at her bank account yet he REFUSED, and that in your dictionary is doing his job. It is people like you who roll over and play dead, that allow such disgusting behaviour to continue. So, the woman who thought Oprah could not afford a bag in a Swiss store was also doing her job. Self esteem and self respect are quite far from you. No one deserves to be harrassed, no one.

• Jo!

August 12, 2014 at 11:45 am

What nonsense are you blabbing? We’re so used to taking nonsense we crucify anyone who takes a stand against it.
      Nonsense! She has a case

• Upset

August 12, 2014 at 11:51 am

You are obviously an illiterate. He was doing his job? By assuming the bag was fake without proper checks? What part of his job requires him to make stupid assumptions. Yes, he can pull passengers aside but he CAN’T assume the bag is fake without proper checks(which he didn’t carry out).

The same way you don’t like black people always pointing to racism is the same way you shouldn’t just defend nonsense in a bid to seem above it all. All I really want to say to you is…SHUT UP!

• Amaka

August 12, 2014 at 11:52 am

You see? This right here is why YOU would continue to be treated as scum of the earth and as being at the bottom of the food chain. Since when did it become illegal to carry a fake designer bag? Even if the official did not trust the authenticity of her bag, why did he refuse all of her attempts to help him verify her bag as genuine as authentic? Out of all the hundreds of people that throng the airport, why was she the only one singled out, when its not like she had arms or hard drugs in her possession? People like you take insults lying low and saying God help me when he has given you wisdom to help yourself? If she does not stand up for herself today, tomorrow it would happen to someone else.
      FOB the law is on your side. Sue the Swiss government for what they are worth. I wish you all the very best.

• Que

August 12, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Amaka, it is actually illegal to carry fakes in certain countries. The issue here is that despite her effort to help him actually doing the job of certifying the bag’s authenticity, he was definitely being a dickhead and very unprofessional. ?.so yes he was wrong for not following the proper process.

• Ms Geeky 30

August 12, 2014 at 11:52 am

Are you for real? If you accept this type of behaviour, the fault is yours Madam! What arrant nonsense!

If we all thought like you, there would still be segregation in America and most of Africa would still be under colonial rule. FOB, many have fought and died for you to have equal rights and to be treated justly and fairly (ergo Rosa Parks, Nelson Mandela, Dr Martin Luther King, etc). Please sue and do not give up until a full and unequivocal apology is given and the so called customs official is punished by his superiors!

• Aggie

August 12, 2014 at 11:55 am

You are psychologically colonized.

• Bella

August 12, 2014 at 1:19 pm

LOL @ your comment. But these Swiss people ehn, are they not the same ones that stopped Oprah at a shop cause they thought she couldn’t afford the bag. And this is where tina turner has gone to get married and settled in, but then again she is much more yellow boned than Oprah, chai to be black in this world o, no be small ting. My dear FOB, sue jare. sue them all.

• Non professional opinion

August 12, 2014 at 11:56 am

Your conclusion and how you came to it are both tragically flawed. I can’t work out if it’s low self esteem, ignorance or jealousy because she can afford chanel bags and Swiss summer camps. Either way, you need deliverance.

• Mummy Mo

August 12, 2014 at 12:05 pm

ode!

• Kay

August 12, 2014 at 12:26 pm

What occurred was a blatant act of racism. What do you mean by ‘you have no case’. It was racism and it was wrong. End of! She does have a case.

• Nahum

August 12, 2014 at 12:43 pm

You can accept to be treated like scum of the earth cause that is how you view yourself. FOB has a case and should follow it up

• Purple

August 12, 2014 at 1:22 pm

“DUMB COMMENT”.. Honestly, u really shouldn’t have bothered commenting. You are obviously clueless.

• THAT CHICK

August 12, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Shut the f*** up.just listen to yourself,did you read or understand the story?

• lol

August 12, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Even if I carry waterproof come any where? when as that become the job of a custom officer??? when I read this story I kept gasping. As in is this for real??? then I read your comment and I understand better why the said people believe we are at the bottom of the food chain. When you believe you are the bottom then yes you will be treated as such. Whether you are black or white I don’t put my face down at all. But wait o the supervisor could not tell the dude to take a back seat. Dude is gay and he wants your chanel purse that is my conclusion. Whether I carry Chanel or Jessica Simpson or water proof wetin concern custom officer? Did I put it on his arm? Abi what type of nonesense is this?

• random anne

August 12, 2014 at 2:47 pm

I’m happy you think it’s okay for other people to treat you like the scum of the earth, because that is how black people are generally viewed. Me I’m just a normal human being and I demand to be treated as such.

Anyway, as a frequent traveler, I’ve learnt that traveling with white men is the way forward.

• Sem

August 12, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Its obvious that your level of intelligence is so low that people like you should be banned from using the internet. For starts one of the first thing they teach in law enforcement is that you are not the judge. The lady showed him a certificate of authenticity, bank statement to support the purchase, asked him to call Chanel, asked for his name come on that’s more than enough information for the guy to use to verify whether the bag is authentic. Having failed to use such available information one then has to wonder what was the custom officer’s objective. People like you justify the mistreatment of black people everywhere cause your dumb a** is trying to fit in and be okayed by white people. Finally to further prove that your a** is so uninformed there is something we call black on black discrimination. It happens a lot in the United States. So read up and stop spewing trash talk everywhere you go with your dumba**…

• fyi

August 12, 2014 at 4:18 pm

you are obviously clueless as to what racism and humilation is. You should experience one or have an encounter then you will be humbled. Why will you dismiss someone’s hurt and pain as though she is just crying like a baby. Biko, get a life and don’t write on blogs just because you wanna write…… FOB, sue, sue, sue and yes sue again

• Wale

August 12, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Wo, Nigerians, stay in your country with dignity. You see how much jobs that Swiss summer could have created in Naija. Daris is god o!

• Wale

August 12, 2014 at 7:50 pm

“Many”

• noka

August 12, 2014 at 6:06 pm

U are very stupid

• daisy

August 12, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Did you wake up from atrance before posting this comment? Its people like you that think people shouldn’t fight for their rights. Whatever her grievances may be, she has a fundamental frigging right to air them! Try to be wise, its not illegal yet.

• md

August 12, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Are u demented or just plain mean spirited maybe just ignorant? He is just doing his job?Maybe having lived in your dynsfunctional nation called Nigeria, you have no idea how an employee esp one paid by the government should behave. I am sure your type are so filled with inferority complex you would have thanked the man and aplogised to him too for the time he took out to search your bag. Get an education!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Uwa

August 14, 2014 at 4:27 pm

@No wonder,you must be very shallow and dumb to ask the writer such stupid questions. you are obviously one of those fake people that conform to anything white. are you so dumb that you couldnt understand why she mentioned that it was only balcks that were stopped? in case you missed it,she is trying to talk about how racism stil exist. why would the man collect her bag without verfying if she is saying the thruth? black man must always want to pull fellow black man down. Ode!

7. Africhic

August 12, 2014 at 11:11 am

This makes me feel really bad. No one should be made to feel this way irrespective of colour. The issue shouldnt be about your being black if he stopped a white person would that make you feel better. It’s the experience of being treated in that manner I have an issue with. If you can sue do that so that no one else is treated like this.

• baboushka

August 12, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Africhic being black should be an issue because she was obviously stopped due to her skin colour along with the other black lady I am sure that planeload had at least 90% white people occupancy how come none of them was stopped. Stories like these are very common in Schipol as well.. She was stopped for the simple reason that she was a black woman carrying a very expensive bag which to this idiotic person she couldn’t afford because she is probably poor seeing as she is black. If they could stop Oprah in Paris and Geneva from entering designer shops what about us non famous black folks. The reason the Parisian shop whose name escapes me now used for denying her entry was because they thought she was an African immigrant. So now what they were saying is that African immigrants cannot afford expensive items abi? Travel around European points of entry especially by air my dear you will see wonders at airports then come back and make this statement again about her being black not being an issue.

• Africhic

August 12, 2014 at 4:17 pm

So if he did the same to a white person it would have been alright? Smh

• Mz Socially Awkward...

August 12, 2014 at 5:37 pm

@baboushka, to buttress your final sentence… a friend of mine (Naija chick) once planned a holiday to Turkey. Bought her plane ticket, arranged her accommodation, etc. herself. She then embarked on her journey and after landing at Ankara, she was pulled aside by customs for questioning. Why was she there? What did she plan to do during her stay? How much money was she traveling with? She thought it was the usual procedure until she got taken into a room with other Nigerian girls from different flights. Apparently, they were all being accused of going to Ankara to work as prostitutes because that’s the latest occupation which Nigerians have become known for in Ankara, corrupting their islamic society (to which I say, if there were no customers, there would be no prostitution market, abi? Issorait). She protested, showed them her bank statements, letters of invitation from her host (a MARRIED friend of hers who she was planning on staying with)… all to no avail.

They got put on the next plane back to Heathrow and today, you can’t mention the words “Turkey” without her spitting in anger. And there were other women travelling alone on that flight who were European and didn’t get stopped.

FOB, please continue to fight against the injustice of what happened to you so that that Swiss bully and his bosses can come to the awareness that this treathment is not acceptable.

To Wale, I would like to believe that you just made a very bad joke in poor taste and are not implying that we should all cower in Nigeria because certain ignorant white people don’t like the look of our skin. In which case, you have the permission of your race to keep calling them “massa”.

8. Grown Woman

August 12, 2014 at 11:17 am

OMG is he for real?this is very crazy, i guess according to him, white people don’t own fake designer goods please sue his lame a** mxiiiuu

9. amaa

August 12, 2014 at 11:26 am

nsogbu dikwa I guess everyone gast to start carrying a written authentication from the manufacturer for any expensive product which is supposedly above a BLACK person income

10. olu

August 12, 2014 at 11:57 am

This is absolutely ridiculous; its an outrage and I can still feel the gooseys all over me from reading this inhumane treatment cos it could have happened to me!!
    While I agree he’s doing his job, his refusal to call Chanel to verify or even look at the statements as offered is clear indication that this was beyond his call of duty!
    I hope you get justice FOB and take these nasty people down three pegs!!

11. dimpled freak

August 12, 2014 at 12:04 pm

@ no wonder, didn’t u read the part about only black people being stopped and their really isn’t any excuse for racism on any level for any reason. And it’s such a big shame that black people on this forum think it’s ok to be treated as though we are bottom of the food chain especially that we live in a world where there are many many powerful black people. That being said. Is he crazy???? They would have to lock me up before they take my bag, that would be the day they call me a terrorist idiot!!!! Kmt. And u absolutely have a case, my father deals with cases like this please send in your email add if u need any legal assistance.

12. del

August 12, 2014 at 12:11 pm

That’s why buying tings from this designer shops in dubai is scary, they won’t even unstand u or back u up when u hav a problem. U don’t want to sue, u don’t want ur name metioned so wat is. Ur story abt for us to feel sory for u or avoid travel to that country., If u can swear and stand by the authenticity of that bag make a case wit channel and hav ur hard earned money designer bag returned to u and an apology from that goverment. I have been harassed at a foreign airport bt bcos I knew I was right I faced the cctv camera and shout out the injustice been melted on me and a superior officer came to hear my case. Why will u be afraid wen u are right, de worse dat will happen is de send u back to ur country and not prison. The moral of de story. It is no bi by force to carry designer bags .

• Ms Geeky 30

August 12, 2014 at 1:30 pm

I do not understand your comment del! Did you read the article all the way to the last paragraph? If so, how did you miss the part where FOB said she was consulting a lawyer already?

• Tza

August 12, 2014 at 2:36 pm

That is a whole lot of cock and crap you just spewed out there. I live in Dubai and trust me, buying things from authentic shops in Dubai is a lot more authentic than buying them from wherever you think you also have bought them from. besides, i do not believe the story. sounds like a whole lot of cock and rubbish to generate senseless traffic. pulease!!!

• dotty

August 13, 2014 at 10:21 am

your comment is not clear; biko rephrase…

• Sem

August 12, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Jesus Christ is Lord….You are a buffoon….

• Jo!

August 13, 2014 at 12:36 pm

What is “de”, “unstand”, nonsense. You can’t even type in English, so, no point answering you

• Uwa

August 14, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Dumb response. i truly want to believe you didnt read all she wrote. she is contacting her lawyer incase you missed that part. you want her to put her name here so you do what with it? like you can help her!!!!

13. Marie Antoinette

August 12, 2014 at 12:14 pm

So sorry about your horrific experience FOB. I and my friend had similar experience in Geneva but the officer was a total gentleman, he apologized and explained the reason to me. My friend threatened to sue cos she’s a lawyer in Paris, she did but only got a letter of apology from LVMH after many months.

It’s a sad situation when passing through Switzerland borders. Even when you take the bus from Milan, they check your designer handbag and luggage for authenticity at the border. I think they are working with the designers to curb imitation.

Sue them, you might get better justice than we did. Good luck.

14. kina

August 12, 2014 at 12:17 pm

I felt your pain reading about your experience reflecting on it i think one lesson that comes to me is that in the face of questionable professional practice stay calm. Get out a pen and paper and document as accurately as possible. Do not let emotions over take your intellect. There is noting quite as destabilizing as anger. I no its hard but if you keep calm and think this is not about me but a reflection of the ineptitude of this civil servant and as a hard working God fearing person it is your duty to raise concerns about the suitability of this person for the job. I think you are doing the right thing by raising concerns about the questionable practice of that inbred custom officer.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

August 12, 2014 at 5:43 pm

That’s very good advice. It’s one I’m going to keep in mind because 10 times out of 10, I will POP OFF at anyone who wants to bring some unnecessary attitude my way in the name of “doing their job”, when we both know that ish is just you acting the fool. Thank you (and I need to share it with my friend because I used to think I was bad until I met her… yepa! Na small but mighty engine be that one, oh!)

• Wale

August 12, 2014 at 7:48 pm

I meant it. From the comments on this thread it is obvious this has been happening a lot and getting worse. If they don’t want you in their country, then go somewhere else and take your business with you. The last time I was home I noticed luxury brands, especially Chanel had become the shoulder norm amongst a lot of women. We are big shoppers, if all Nigerian women boycotted these brands for one year you will see that these harassment at entry points will stop. In fact, the brands themselves will beg them to stop. It is just a bag after all! There are a lot more useful things to do with $3k or more??? than spending it on a piece of leather accessory that becomes obsolete the minuet the next trend comes along.

15. Aragon

August 12, 2014 at 12:18 pm

All the gullible Africans that are quick to cite ‘statistics’ to justify their slave mentality belief that Africans or people of African origin ‘are more likely to offend or commit crime’, here is your proof and the reason why you should not believe crime ‘stats’.
    Africans are hunted out or picked and are most likely going to be stopped and humiliated. When they keep stopping Africans more often than other races, their ‘statistics’ are gathered.
    People, we should stop worshiping these people. They can treat us however they want in their countries, no problem, but I hate seeing Nigerians bow down and worship anything or anyone that is light-skinned. Even our govts are most likely going to give them contracts than our people thereby cementing whatever prejudice they have over us.
    When do we learn?

16. baboushka

August 12, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Dear writer if you hold a British passport you should have called the High Commission in Geneva or threatened to you can still lodge a complaint to them. So Chanel now has agents at customs na wah o!!! So sorry for your experience wetin consign them with whether or not your bag is real or fake that is not the duty of customs. I hope you got the idiots name and badge number. That is how one foolish immigration officer asked me at the airport in Berlin where I got my passport from and if I had any money on me I simply told him to call the high commission and verify and also call my bank and check if I have an account with them. He smirked and let me through idiotic people!

17. No wonder

August 12, 2014 at 12:23 pm

You too what are you on about? I would have a problem if the custom officer asked questions he was not supposed to ask. The guy was doing his job and it’s unfortunate that he happened to do it to a black person? What about the USA that questions you at their airport like you are a thief or terrorist. They are doing their job and like i said earlier, I would only have a problem if he wasn’t supposed to ask those questions or if it was not his job to do the asking. Yes, everyone feels bad when he/she goes through that kind of experience but does feeling bad and translate into racism all the time? Abeg spare me. When Nigerian officials at the airport quiz me or sometimes check my luggage when I arrive, I feel bad but I don’t say it’s racism. So when she tells the experience, what do you want the Swiss authorities to do? Tell officials not to do their job to a black person again? Or when they see a black person, they should look for a black official to quiz him/her? No be every time dem dey cry Abeg. If Nigeria officials had done their jobs well at the airport, this Ebola virus would have not been a case. Moreover if we quiz Liberians and Guineans at the airport since they are from Ebola countries, should they cry foul too and announce it to the whole world?

• Ms Geeky 30

August 12, 2014 at 1:35 pm

@ No wonder, please just stop! You are digging your own grave the further you contribute to this article. Come back when you are able to contribute mature and intellectual points rather than this ‘all over the place’ ‘shamble’ of an argument/response.

• NaijaPikin

August 12, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Don’t be silly……where is it listed that authenticating bags is part of their duties?

Customs focus is to secure the border. So security questions, produce questions, Money you are bringing in questions, validate travel document questions are fine…………validating bag is not.

Clearly you have issues.

• BabyDee

August 12, 2014 at 4:26 pm

I was thinking of how to respond to the jargons you wrote here……and then i saw your name is “no wonder”; well that settles it. Your head is still wondering somewhere.
      #ShutITWhenYouHaveNothingSensibleToSay

• Deedar

August 12, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Kai, but you sound ridiculous sha. And ignorant.

• Save Naija!

August 13, 2014 at 3:15 am

@ No Wonder, are you a white person working/living in Nigeria? Because it sounds like you are, going by some of statements about your experience with the Nigeria customs. You seem to be trolling this topic and trying to be provocative just to agitate the people on this forum. BTW, you have succeeded, so I think it’s time for you to just quit!

• Uwa

August 14, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Can you just please keep quiet! you have already proven that you are dumb and have nothing meaningful to say. run along

18. Lucia Leoso

August 12, 2014 at 12:27 pm

This is outright discrimination and racism in the highest order. I’m a lawyer so I know. Permit me to also publish this on my blog to create awareness of this inhumane and derogatory act to man. I feel your pain. So sorry…

19. temmie

August 12, 2014 at 12:30 pm

This is totally absurd n appalling.. really? So cuz she’s black she can’t afford an original Chanel bag? The guy was just being racist and he damn well couldn’t hide his feelings..Nasty n condescending! Please sue his sorry a**e. We need to stand up for ourselves if we have the capacity!

20. Mayowa

August 12, 2014 at 12:35 pm

@no wonder, please take a seat behind the man behind! I know we are all entitled to our opinion but shouldn’t there always be a logical conclusion to life issues. The woman has got every reason to be angry and i encourage her to take necessary action against the lousy racist.

21. sum1special

August 12, 2014 at 1:16 pm

I cant believe it, did this really happen, since when are custom officials allowed to seize fake bags or whatever? Racism has to stop,

22. Angel

August 12, 2014 at 1:32 pm

I am so sorry madam for what u went through, I can’t even imagine such embarrassment but I will advice you to make enquiries about the laws in Switzerland on this designer issue before sueing anybody. Maybe some new law was passed or the law was amended or something…just saying. I also want to add: you can’t be too sure ur bag’s fake or real these days, I have a friend that bought a Gucci bag at Gucci store dubai mall, after like 6 months, she was in London for holiday & went to some Gucci store, she was shocked when they told her her bag’s fake with proof oo! Btw she’s Iranian, not Nigerian so it’s not like black or racism thing.That’s why I don’t dig all these popular designer stuff, I prefer good hidden designers or new upcoming designers that not many people know of, but their stuf are the real deal and unique plus they don’t have so much of their fake going around. Even Victoria Beckham has been caught with a fake Hermes bag, she didn’t even know it, so madam just take it easy…

23. Amaka

August 12, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Ok am skocked to my bone … Am a big bag lover am not going to leave my bag fake or not to anyone … If it’s fake nko I didn’t steal it n there is no drugs in it … So no way … What rubbish

24. Proudly Nigerian

August 12, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Sorry for your treatment Ma, please sue them as he has all the 50 mins to call Channel and confirm you paid good money for you bag.. Also a warning to Nigeria chic who carry fake bags whose original is worth over £1000 beware you never know where you will be stopped and disgraced..
    We can also avoid this by Patronising Nigerian Designers we make handbags, shoes and cloths,, you don’t have to carry a fake Gucci from China to show you have arrived, I always carry my Ankara print bags when I travel and even inside Channel and on the street people stop me to know where they can buy one, Nigeria Bag makers are also making nice leather bags now with both imported leather and Nigerian Made quality leather.. Support home grown talent since A silly Swiss immigration officer and some oyibo people feel Top designer brands are beneath black people… they are just foolish

• Wale

August 12, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Iya Abeke, it shows that you are proudly Nigerian. It is spelt Chanel. Se oja nta? A je e o!

• KV

August 12, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Agbaya ni yin, Mr or Ms Wale!

25. Ada Ada

August 12, 2014 at 1:45 pm

I am very confused too. Even if the bag is a fake, on what grounds would he seize the bag? Is there some kind of law about these things that I’ve never heard about? Hian!!!!

26. lol

August 12, 2014 at 1:46 pm

I guess it is the norm to show authenticity when carrying a designer label in that part of the world at least now I know so if I ever have to visit that part of the world. I know what I will need to shop for, Walmart bag at least then all this nonsense will not happen, I no fit shout. I am not leaving my purse for any one who knows if I will ever get it back not taking that risk. Nylon bag or Walmart is the way to go.

27. Que

August 12, 2014 at 2:02 pm

My truth is, I cannot say with certainty that this was a racism issue, so I will not. However, on the basis of his very blatant unprofessional conduct, pls sue him, his office and everything in between….. I understand their trying to curb the menace of imitations plaguing d global fashion industry, but the writer did what I would have expected of most sane people, and if he refused to follow up…..meeen my spirit will not rest till I see n feel justice!

Get d high commissions n helpful media involved, and I dare add…d brand involved, do not relent, and you will see them begin to dig for answers. Such policy provisions for checking these luxury items are done in conjunction with d chambers of commerce or relevant fashion governing body, you shld definitely file a complaint there too…. at d very least, they must establish set procedures for handling these cases, to avoid joining issues and blurring the lines of professional conduct.

28. Non professional opinion

August 12, 2014 at 2:13 pm

My people, prepare for more of this. Suffer is killing people in Europe where the financial crisis is refusing to let up. At the same time affluent classes in the third world are growing every day. Do you think they are happy. It’s forcing them to question what they believed was a God given right to dominate us. A woman who sends her kids to camp in Switzerland, you can imagine how she rolls. The bling would have given the guy a tension headache, so he had to find a way to get back at her. I’m elated to hear she is suing because there was a time we would accept shabby treatment as our portion and slink away in shame, thankfully some of us are waking up. I don’t do social media, but those that do should shout this to the trees.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

August 12, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Dead @ “tension headache”. 🙂

29. Pius Christiana O

August 12, 2014 at 2:20 pm

THIS IS ABSURD

30. dimpled freak

August 12, 2014 at 2:29 pm

[email protected] lol. The guy may or may not be racist, and yes there are countries that ban any kind of fake goods from entering the country, no problem. But what is for certain is that he was a complete ass, she had evidence that her bag was real, he was not interested, and that is the thing that was the most disgusting part of the story and completely unacceptable. He had no proof that the bag was fake but she had proof that it was real. To question her is one thing to take her bag is another he had absolutely no right. Simples!!!!

31. Tony

August 12, 2014 at 2:36 pm

@No wonder,have you been to Swiss? Pls keep quiet.It’s small compared to what we black see over here in Swiss.Honestly I’m telling you as a black you don’t have freedom of movement in Swiss.Do you know how they treat blacks in public over here? I live in Swiss.Come to Swiss and know what’s RACISM.

• Africhic

August 12, 2014 at 4:24 pm

You mean Switzerland

• fair & lovely

August 13, 2014 at 10:53 am

Then eff off the country. Why wld you wanna live in a place where u don’t feel secured. it beats me…

32. MrsA

August 12, 2014 at 3:22 pm

@FOB same thing happened to me at the Geneva airport. I was called aside and asked about the authenticity of my Chanel bag. The gentleman went on to search my suitcases and found 3 more Chanel bags. He called another gentleman and they asked why I had so many Chanel bags. In my own words “I can afford to buy it, is that a problem?” I knew where it was heading so I gave them my Swiss permit and asked them why I was the only one pulled aside. coincidentally, another lady on my flight was carrying the exact same Chanel bag in the same colour and nobody stopped her. After about 10 minutes of inspecting my bags, they apologised and let me leave. I guessed they sensed that I was about to lose it!

33. Mary

August 12, 2014 at 3:46 pm

@FOB i feel so sad reading about this terrible treated meted on you. he wes very wrong in every way even as you provided proofs to show that your bag was real and that didn’t move him at all. i really hope you get justice. oya oo my Nigerian celebs who own 5 Hermes and other designers, pls keep them at home as you travel, i don’t want any stupid custom officer to disgrace you. i take God beg una

34. tunmi

August 12, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Make it a point not to patronize their beloved designers

35. az

August 12, 2014 at 3:50 pm

I would most definitely sue on the grounds of unprofessionalism and harrassment, if not racism. The fact that this lady had proof of purchase and wasn’t allowed to show that is an outrage.

This reminds me of when I worked in Munich- (from the UK) some years ago. I had a few days break in Madrid and on getting back to Munich airport I was accosted in a similar fashion, out of a plane full of passengers, I was the only one singled out. As you can imagine this was so humiliating being the only black person and everyone staring as though I was some sort of criminal.

I immediately challenged this and was told that it was “odd for a black person to travel around Europe” this was around 10 years ago, I was so shocked and horrified by what I was hearing and immediately told the custom officer that I thought he was racist and wasn’t at all happy with my treatment..
    He proceeded to take me to a back room where they took a drugs test, the police were called and I was basically made to feel like a dangerous criminal, worst of all I didn’t speak German and the customs officer cooked up a story about me insulting him and being aggressive towards him to the police. All in all I was detained for over an hour and made to sign a statement which was in German. In hindsight I shouldn’t have, but I was so young and naive…. and just exhausted at that point.
    Anyway, long story short I was sent a letter and had to pay a fine of 500 euros for insulting and accusing a customs officer of being racist. My boss and everyone at the company I worked for advised me to pay it. I did consider getting the British high commission involved but was told it would’ve been a long drawn out process and to avoid issues with travelling back and forth to London (which I did weekly) I had to pay the fine! it still grieves my spirit till this day what happened and what customs officers at some of these European airports get away with! These days I just try as much as possible to bite my tongue, answer their questions when asked and eventually if they don’t get a reaction they let you go.
    Sorry for the long essay- but in this case I would most definitely sue!

36. Wale

August 12, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Obviously, they have found a way to “chance” unsuspecting, uneducated black women. Why did I add uneducated-well, if you have enough resources to buy a Chanel bag and have children in a Swiss summer camp,then you should have enough to demand and hire a lawyer on the spot at the airport and also demand to speak with your country’s embassy. You should take a picture of your bag, make a mark in it and keep the certificate with you(if he demands it, use your cell to take a picture and audio or video record the entire event. By the way their is always a supervisor’s supervisor. Just wait till you get if need be thw airport’s general manager. The kids will have to wait, you need to stand your ground( also a teachable lesson for you children that they have to stand up for their right.) Sorry, dear he just got a free Chanel bag for his wife, mother or girlfriend.

• slice

August 12, 2014 at 8:23 pm

you are not the brightest candle

• Wale

August 12, 2014 at 10:36 pm

you think? you will be surprised…lol

• Jo!

August 13, 2014 at 12:41 pm

NO, we can’t be surprised. You type okay English, I must say, not all those nonsense abbreviations. But you must absolutely lack a spine and/or just have a really REALLY poor sense of worth and value. I just want to shut you up and throw your online self over 3rd mainland.
      Dude, it’s NOT about the overpriced bag, *deep breath*, I should probably stop now…if I continue, BN won’t be able to post my comment

37. Tosin

August 12, 2014 at 5:30 pm

Why did you buy a real Chanel bag? (Serious question. Chanel ko, Chanel ni, hehehe)
    You should have ordered a minku.

• timbolo

August 14, 2014 at 2:57 am

Okay Tosin, you can advertise for your sister in a better way. And please it’s no laughing matter. You, yes you Tosin Otitoju might be carrying a Minku bag on arrival in Switzerland but it doesn’t stop you from being treated in a despicable manner over some other issue. Last I checked you are black.

38. Meeee

August 12, 2014 at 5:40 pm

I really feel sorry for this lady, European countries are like that, they love to embarrass people with dumb questions. I was once delayed at heathrow airport by immigration officers, the officer was questioning me why I bought my ticket that morning I just kept staring at him he asked 2ce again and I replied, ” I had the money today that’s why” I was so pissed. It is well oo.

39. D'Mamma

August 12, 2014 at 6:10 pm

I’m really trying to block. my mind from thinking. Coz the more I think about it.the more I feel like crying.

• Wale

August 12, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Seriously, because someone lost a Chanel bag to some customs official. Or because she was denied her right and she couldn’t do anything about it? Have you shed tears for the chibok girls or the health workers at the first consultant clinic that caught Ebola. Please re assess your priorities. It is just an over priced bag-get over it!!!

• british/naija

August 13, 2014 at 10:04 am

Lol….Wale!!!!…..I can’t stop laughing at your reply to that obnoxious comment!

• Trina

August 13, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Wale and your sidekick @british/naija, you both should get together, dig a stupidity hole and lay there in a tight cuddle. Let Wale make his obnoxious comments while british/naija laughs senselessly.

Oh what fun you’ll both have. Think about it. Deeply.

40. Nolongthing

August 12, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Unbelievable. I actually know the lady involved and she is suing for sure and has hired a Swiss Lawyer to represent her already. Luckily, she took a picture of the customs officer at the airport when he went across.

41. Jennifer

August 12, 2014 at 6:57 pm

FOB, I understand why you cried because I feel like crying myself. And to think other people have had or heard similar experiences too is so terrible.

42. BA

August 12, 2014 at 8:53 pm

The good white people of the world constantly flood Dubai corner shops to buy knock-offs.

43. babs

August 12, 2014 at 10:00 pm

The Swiss are a funny one. I took a Swiss flight to dubai and on my way back to the UK, there was this Swiss official at the counter(maybe he was Interpol) that went to the extent of checking my British passport with a flipping magnifying glass!!! Can you imagine such insolence. He did this for like 10mins and finally handed it back to me reluctantly and with sadness.I’m sure he was wishing it was a fake passport. I was apoplectic with rage I can assure you.

44. Wale

August 12, 2014 at 10:42 pm

At least we know what is most important and provocative to BNers-Getting Married, To Bleach or Not to Bleach and Chanel Bags(how dare he call her Chanel fake and then seize it)

• slice

August 13, 2014 at 3:08 am

if you think this is about a bag, then you’re truly not the brightest candle…but then maybe it’s the mars/venus thing

• Ms Geeky 30

August 13, 2014 at 11:04 am

Thank you Slice! U saved me from typing out a long winded response.
      Step aside Wale if you really don’t get it. Try looking up rights, principles, etc in the dictionary!

• british/naija

August 13, 2014 at 10:06 am

Hahaha!!….you’re killing me!…lol

45. Naijachic

August 13, 2014 at 12:01 am

Wales last comment hmmmm. I hate to say this but Wales last comment about getting married , bleaching and ……; is spot on.

• Ms Geeky 30

August 13, 2014 at 11:12 am

No, it is not! This is about the rights of FOB not about the bag itself. It is about the principle of the matter and making sure that Swiss customs/immigration treat and handle black passengers the same as anybody else!
      It is really annoying that you, Wale and others continue to focus on the Chanel bag rather than on the more important parts of the article.
      And no, i do not know FOB personally but I am angry on her behalf, as angry as I was when the Chibok girls were kidnapped because it boils down to the same thing when you separate the wheat from the chaff. People think they have the right to treat others how they like and do to them what they like because they apparently consider them inferior to themselves!
      Whether it is denying young females an education and marrying them off to older men or accusing people on the basis of their appearance and/or colour of their skin of essentially being complicit in the buying and selling of counterfeit goods.

Please focus on what is important and lets all make sure this story is heard!

End of rant!

46. Jamce

August 13, 2014 at 2:30 am

Must we go to Europe? It is the price we pay for our collective foolishness in not developing our nation/economy, only to work for hard or steal the money and go to Europe and America to spend. This must be a lesson for us all to reorient ourselves in terms of priorities and development of our nation for the benefit of future generations. Dubai of today is an offshoot of a resolve to develop their country with their petro-dollars rather than banking or spending the dollars in America and other European countries who are now trooping to Dubai on holidays. This is a period of less than 30 years. The same thinking appears to be running through the Middle East (Kuwait, Qatar, etc) whose petro-dollars were funding the economies of Europe and America.

47. Co-exist

August 13, 2014 at 3:51 am

@Naijachic yes I agree with you. Wale’s last comment about BNers was spot on!
    @Wale in my mom’s voice, “omo Wale yi ti ya t’ara e” your last comment cracked me up!

48. ijebu boy

August 13, 2014 at 4:55 am

dude just needed a Chanel bag for his Girlfriend’s/Wife’s bday. I mean she specifically asked for it and told him it was either Chanel or no nut busting for him so… he GOT a Chanel bag.

On a serious note, while i know of many people with similar cases trying to sue, i have yet to hear of anyone coming away with a decent apology from customs or immigration. They always stick to some sort of “doing my job” routine and the individual gets buried in bureaucracy and red tape rubbish. I do hope FOB gets some sort of justice. Immigration and custom staff around the world can be pretty nasty some times.

• slice

August 13, 2014 at 1:07 pm

That’s why she needs the tape. If not it will be her word against theirs’ and they will likely win….unless the other officer who seemed to want to do the right thg speaks the truth. I personally wouldn’t sue. Filing a complaint with the appropriate office and having the matter investigated wld work for me. It’s only if I’m not satisfied with the outcome, then I may sue

49. dotty

August 13, 2014 at 10:59 am

you shldnt ve left without your bag! you for shout make all of them gather jor!!! since e no wan call chanel for confirmation;then na thief e b!

50. SKK

August 13, 2014 at 12:20 pm

FOB, thanks for sharing your story. I read it yesterday, felt really bad for the lady, slept on it and woke up this morning and asked myself what would i do if this happened to me. Before i allow anyone see my bag, i will ask for their names/ID no and official address before the search and if they ask why, i will tell him i want to be sure i can file a complaint to the right authority if the situation wasn’t managed properly. Secondly, no one will keep my bag if they can’t reach the designer immediately to confirm if it’s a fake or not. If they’re helping the designers to fight piracy, they had better put the right systems in place to make sure they don’t inconvenience people. How sure are you that they won’t keep the bag and give it their wives/girlfriends or even sell it-who is keeping track. Yes they also steal in Switzerland as my colleagues designer shoes were stolen from her luggage when she got to Geneva. Finally, if i know i’m not guilty, I will make enough noise to ensure that everyone around that area knows what is going on. By the time everyone is looking at us, the supervisor must come out and attend to me and i will leave that place with my bag. Shedding tears will not stop racism and the people watching you have no way of knowing your only offense is because you’re black. Part of being Nigerian is the ability to make noise. By the time you show some of your “were” someone should get scared and resolve the issue quick. Just be sure you’re not guilty!

• slice

August 13, 2014 at 1:18 pm

the only problem i see with that approach is you could promptly get arrested for disorderly conduct. yep that’s a crime too. not a serious crime but still a crime. and she had other priorities. her children were waiting. she could not risk not being able to pick them up. Plus even if i have no kids waiting, i doubt i would getting arrested.

51. Bills

August 13, 2014 at 12:47 pm

@No wonder. your name truly suits you! After the damages done to you by colonization, one would expect that you will naturally shake off imperialism or any semblance of slavery left. Alas! we were wrong. Did you follow the steps this woman took to convince the racist faggot that her bag was indeed genuine or you simply chose to play dumb? You sound like a black person who will harass a fellow black to satisfy the white man and that’s a truly sad life. FOB, sue everyone and everything involved in this unnecessary harassment. Embarrass not only the immigration but the Swiss government until they apologize, not because you are black but because you’re human and deserve to be treated with respect especially as you didn’t contravene any known laws.

52. Bontonia

August 13, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Truly sorry for your ordeal. The custom officers do not really just pick on us black people. I go through that airport like twice every month on average and have been searched maybe 4 times in 17 years. They certainly do not do it to only us Africans. I have seen many whites and Latinos going through much worse. My 3 yr old Longchamps bag bought in Paris was scrutinized once, but returned after verification within 10 min. Of course, I had no receipt for it at the time. I also carried two gift watches once from the US to be given to people in a third country and it was difficult for me to tell the value because I did not buy them. But when I explained, they gave me back the watches which I eventually carried to Africa to the intended recipients. It is truly a pity that they picked on you that day. I have seen worse in Germany and the Netherlands where I transit frequently. So my dear sister, please take heart, and next time, be calm. Whenever you start putting up a fight, they become very suspicious. And mind you, I travel with a passport greener than the grass!

53. Nolongthing

August 13, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Bontonia, your advise is well taken but the fact remain the same. The customs officer overreached himself and therefore needs to be sanctioned.

54. Halo

August 13, 2014 at 6:00 pm

It’s easy to conclude. I live in Geneva and fly out at least twice every month and I’ve never experienced such treatment. Btw, I only buy and carry authentic designer bags. Since I’ve lived here, I have never experienced the kind of racism described in other comments. And Switzerland and Geneva constantly act against racism so go ahead and lodge your complaint/sue if you truly believe you got a racist act. Now all of you running your mouths, it is illegal in most European countries to carry fake bags and custom officials can confiscate and destroy your fake bags. Better be wise and remain in Nigeria with your fake N10k prada and N30k birkin if you don’t want to be singled out. Geneva is an amazing, beautiful, safe place to live in. STOP running it down. If it’s so bad, why are you still here? Go back to your no racism Country

• Mz Socially Awkward...

August 13, 2014 at 10:57 pm

I work with Caucasian women (British) who holiday in Thailand regularly and return with suitcases full of fake bags. Dem no dey hide am sef, very open about their fake Chanel and Gucci bags which cost next to nothing in GB£. Nigerians are not the only carriers of fake goods and I’m honestly wondering how “policing” is conducted as all you have to do is stroll down any European street to spot some very dodgy “designer” gear? Are people going to remove their fake Timbs & Vans and walk home barefoot? Are the “law enforcement” agencies going to strip passengers of their jeans and and give them a “wrappers” to clothe themselves with?

Whatever this customs officer did was selectively discriminatory if he targeted the bag simply because of the carrier. Fake watches & jewellery, nko? How are those being monitored? It makes no damn sense.

55. Nolongthing

August 13, 2014 at 11:56 pm

Halo, you are obviously either blind or stupid. Have you read the story? Bloody self hating moron.

56. Halo

August 14, 2014 at 10:47 am

@Nolongthing, explain how i’m blind/stupid? And what makes me a self hating moron? You obviously are as i practise self love. I can see you are one of the fake bag carriers. Upgrade yourself and buy at least 1 real bag so you don’t get screened by Custom

57. Nolongthing

August 14, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Lol @ the hollow one. First of all, I do not swing that way and so therefore do not carry bags!! Secondly, I have read the article very carefully so to have a dunce like you come here to plead the case of an obviously racist customs officer who was clearly out of line shows that you have either not read the article and therefore suffer from a comprehension problem (stupid/moron) or cannot see.! Kapish??

58. Think

August 15, 2014 at 6:26 pm

I think we should be very careful.

We have only heard one side of the story.

I was almost deported from a foreign airport once because the passport officers genuinely thought I was travelling on a fake passport.

They were extremely rude and acted similarly to the way this man acted. Didn’t listen to anything I said and were just single mindedly intent on dumping me on the next flight home.

As I sat waiting for the plane I found I was in the company of dozens of actual bonafide criminals…..all black, and from their demeanour and discussion, mainly there on fake passports. Two guys were discussing how they would fool customs when they came for the return trip. I realised there was no story I could tell…. These guys would not listen because 419 people have exhausted all the genuine excuses.

As luck would have it they verified my passport before the plane arrived. You should see how they changed. I was drenched in apologies, offered drinks, called into the boss’s office , where the guy gave me a detailed explanation of all that had happened and why they acted the way they did.

Does this exonerate them?no. But note i did not make a scene, and I did not threaten to sue or shout for my rights.

I am also blacker than charcoal.

Despite this I was treated with respect once it was discovered that I was genuine.

You need to understand that even with racial profiling taking place, many times these officials err on the side of caution because wherever you go,you find the kingpins of the local petty fraud scene are black Africans.

Guys like you and me who are not thieves or criminals should be aware of the fact however that every time this group does something stupid it reflects badly on us all.

The man was not justified, but the question is how many times has he profiled and stopped black women only to be proven correct? The company I was in while waiting for the plane shows me that the racist actions of profiling me based on my skin colour have yielded a much higher success than failure rate, as deplorable as they are.

Making a stink about the injustice is certainly called for but in the long run will change nothing as long as we allow the current situation to continue.

As long as we all turn a blind eye to the general disregard for integrity that is displayed by Nigerians all over the world and continue to glorify thieving practice’s as “smart” … Well if the man gets punished several people will privately see him as a hero.

As the saying goes… We will defend each other outside but while at home we must be honest with ourselves. If you want this treatment to stop you need to realise you can’t pretend the people justifying their actions are not there.

59. InfoTest

August 17, 2014 at 6:42 am

He was rude and uncooperative and there is grounds for her to ensure that the next person that is checked is done so with dignity and respect.

It’s not racism. She obviously is upset and has told the story in a way that favors her. And clearly there is already a mindset that guarantees intolerance (seriously, mocking a user based on their name). Very few people here are interested in actual progress: just a confirmation that what they experience is part of some nefarious agenda to go back to the good ol’ days.

Tl:Dr it sucks, she should sue, not everything’s about race.