Features

Chiadi Ndu Shares the Heart Stirring Story of How Alternative Medicine Helped After a Brain Lesion Diagnosis

Chiadi NduA few weeks before that day, I had had a series of surreal feelings. I have never been able to find the adjectives to describe them. But that day… I knew that they were all connected.
That day… I was on a flight from London to Lagos. I remember that the seat belt lights were on and the cabin crew was preparing for landing. I had freshened up and as is my pattern, I bent my head to thank my Father for a beautiful trip and a safe flight. That was the last thing I remember.
Very vaguely, I heard an announcement asking for the doctors on board the flight to come to the Business Class compartment. I slowly came round and I saw a beautiful air hostess softly saying to me, “Are you alright Ma’am? Can you talk? You just had a seizure…just relax. There is an ambulance waiting for you on the tarmac. You are going to be fine…” I had no clue what she was saying but I did remain calm on my seat.

It turned out that I as I bent my head to pray, I had gone into convulsive fits – just like that! Given my Pentecostal background, I took it for granted that it was an ‘attack,’ a one-off-episode and I concluded that by surviving it, I had overcome my ‘enemies’. However, contrary to my conclusion, that day became the beginning of a most frightful and humiliating period in my life. The siege that lasted 14 years had just begun.

From then on without any warning, I could experience a ‘black- out’ anywhere and anytime. My life would simply freeze; I could stare, seize or slump. The episodes were diverse and numerous. I dropped my son in school one morning and on my way back had a ‘black-out’ episode. I ran into an uncompleted building and crushed my brand new car. The air bag popped out blocking my chest area, my seatbelt strapped me to my seat and the Hand of God protected my life. Another day, I was driving down the Admiralty Way in Lekki and there had another ‘black-out’ episode. I careened off the road, ran into an electric pole pushing it down and destroying another car- while His hand held my life in place yet again. Needless to say, I had to stop driving altogether.

Another day on a treadmill in my local gym, I slumped and could have killed myself if that Hand I had come to depend on totally had not intercepted the fall. At the Hairdressing Salon another day, I slumped again and woke up to a band of hairdressers staring down at me and suggesting the Deliverance Ministers I needed to consult with.
Countless times, in countless situations, I would freeze and ‘black-out’. After each episode, I would experience severe disorientation. My mind would be dishevelled, my concentration bleak and chunks of my memory deleted. I often felt like cotton-wool filled my skull. I forgot so many names and faces. Sometimes, it would take me many minutes to juggle my memory hard enough just to remember my children’s names.

The more these episodes occurred the more my confidence dropped and the further I crawled into my shell. I was perpetually petrified about when and where the next episode might occur. I avoided going out as much as I could… even going to church was terrifying. What if it happened there…? I began to disconnect socially. Researching my condition and seeking help became my focus. After a series of tests, it was discovered that I had developed a lesion on the temporal lobe of my brain. This interfered with its electrical activity and led to the seizures I frequently experienced.

This diagnosis was very difficult for me to accept. I needed more than anything else to understand how and why I developed this neurological condition. No one was telling me anything meaningful until I read the book “Deadly Emotions” by Dr Don Colbert an Integrative Medicine Practitioner in Florida, USA.
He wrote, “A number of people including a number of physicians dismiss the importance of mind-body diseases or psychosomatic ailments… Medical research is showing more and more that there may be a mind-body connection to most diseases and ailments, not just a few…” It was like ‘EUREKA’ for me. I began to study harder and further until I came to the conclusion that my mind and my emotions were indeed the root of my health deprecation.

I had lost my mother when I was 13 years old. A few months before then, my dad had lost his mother and his father too. Every one repeated over and over how strong I had to be especially for my Daddy’s sake. I remember one person in particular who went as far as telling me that it was my responsibility to ensure that my Dad didn’t break down otherwise he could also die. Her words resonated and losing my father was the last thing I wanted to happen. I didn’t want to be left alone, an orphan with my 3 sisters to take care of. After then, I frequently, stole furtive glances at my Dad to ensure he wasn’t breaking down or dying. During this process, I perfected the art of suppressing my emotions (without knowing the consequences) as I struggled with being the oldest child in my family and filling my mum’s oversized shoes.

Through the years I became an expert at not feeling what I feel. I was a pro at pushing down any feeling that was painful to me or unaccepted by others. I didn’t realize that the more I experienced negative emotions and failed to express them, the more the pressure mounted inside. I didn’t know that by collecting these deadly emotions over the years, I had flipped on a self destruct switch in my body. My body was now compelled to go wherever my mind went. Not only did these toxic emotions stimulate the stress response that opened the door for this disease to enter my body, they also impeded the healing process.

The drug prescribed to ‘manage’ my symptoms was far worse than the symptoms. I felt awful using them but I still dared not stop. I struggled with fear, anxiety, anger and depression. My heart broke into pieces as I watched the quality of my life deteriorate. I experienced all shades of embarrassment. One day, I met a lady in one of my friends’ house. As my friend started to introduce us and I put on my most pleasant face; to my horror I watched the lady scowl, hiss and look me up and down. She said, “What are you trying to do Chiadi. Hmm! Who do you think you are? I don’t blame you at all. You are pretending you don’t know me eh…” I had no clue where I had ever seen her before that day. I didn’t bother to explain (who would understand) I simply apologised. So many such incidents, it was safer to just keep away to save my face…until I discovered the Integrative Treatment.
This Integrative treatment focuses on the well- being of the whole person- the spirit, the mind (soul) and the body. It combines alternative medicine with medical science and pays as much attention to the emotional and spiritual wellness of the individual.

I started by prayerfully tidying my spiritual connectedness with God before I proceeded to the emotional detoxification. God helped me identify all the deadly emotions and stressors I had harboured over the years and together we began to work through each of them. There were loads-anger, anxiety, fear, rejection, resentment, unforgiveness -the entire works. With the Cognitive Behaviour Therapy also, I began to re-arrange my dysfunctional thoughts. I identified their trigger, tested their validity against objective reality and then began to replace each of them with TRUTH.

It was at this point BTH Integrated Services was birthed…
I understood that most of my organs (including my brain) needed an escape especially from free radicals and toxins in the foods I ate. I hired a Nutritionist who is also an expert in alternative medicine. She stayed in my home for 2 weeks.Together we went through a detoxification regime (you don’t want to know the details). Suffice it to say that I ate all manner of RAW fruits and vegetables, with copious amounts of garlic, onions and ginger, no processed food and no oil. Before the 7th day, I knew something significant had taken place in my body. The 1,200mg daily dosage of my prescription drug was impossible for me to sustain. I had palpitations and acute breathlessness. Without medical authorization I reduced it drastically and there was no incident. At this point, I intensified my spiritual connection praying fervently for God to authenticate my integrated wholeness. I wanted a brand new life, not one laced with ‘black-outs’ and seizures. My Father and my Helper did; He came through for me.

I went for my annual check-up and from the result of my various tests (an MRI Brain Scan, an EEG, a Doppler test, an ECG test, and a 24hr ECG) the lesion on my temporal lobe was no longer there-another surreal experience that left me speechless. My doctor has recommended a follow on check-up in a few months to re- confirm these test results; I don’t know what he hopes to see but I trust the One that started this good work – He is faithful and He will complete it.

God has validated my hope and I now offer myself (via BTH Integrated Services and in collaboration with various experts) to the wellness of the whole person while focusing on their mind and their emotions -the bedrock of well-being. He comforted me with wellness first so that I in turn may comfort others.
So far, the result has been deeply inspiring as people identify, confront and conquer the ‘core’ issues behind their heart and their health. Emotions have healed, relationships restored, behaviours changed and lives renewed.

CHIADI NDU was called to the Nigerian Bar in 1987 but has since obtained a Masters Degree in Counselling Psychology. A Cognitive Behaviour Therapist, she runs BTH Integrated Wellness and Therapy. Email: [email protected] BTH provides premium professional counselling services with experts who understand how the mind works; offering a confidential and safe environment where our clients can work on any stressful, traumatic or simply uncomfortable issues they may be facing- ANXIETY, GRIEF, FEAR, TRAUMA, LOSS, FINANCES OR HEALTH  CHALLENGES. Website: www.bththerapy.com

1. Quick Lotto

October 29, 2014 at 11:23 am

Nice

• Mohammad

October 29, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Not to put a downer and I’m really pleased that the subject of this post is in recovery, but I don’t think it is good advice to recommend unproven alternative remedies to Nigerians, a population that already has an alarming mistrust in science and modern medicine. If a simple solution like that truly works, I can tell you that scientists would be ON IT! In any case the science is free. Let the practitioner provide peer-reviewed verifiable and reproducible results and people would accept it as the orthodoxy. We are prepared to listen, just do it the established scientific method: test your hypothesis, collect evidence and subject the evidence to rigorous tests.
      What I fear these sorts of tales do is make people assume that they have fixed something, avoiding what might actually beneficial and then finding out too late.

• tunmi

October 29, 2014 at 1:07 pm

My sentiments exactly. I do agree that processing emotions in a healthy way is important

• Suwa

October 29, 2014 at 2:29 pm

She never advised anyone to try alternative medicine for their health issues! she never even pointed in that direction. she has only shared her experience of how alternative medicine and GOD saved her. A lot of different things work for different people and not for some. Let me give a very simple example. Acne for instance, using a facial cleanser works for some, oral pills for acne for other, some only reduce their stress level eat more health and sleep properly and thats all they need.. If I share my story of how my acne got cleared doesnt mean im telling people to try it, it might help others and sometimes you go through a series of tries before you find what could work for you. Her storing is inspiring , not misleading and no where giving you advice on what to do with your health issues. When the doctor that survived ebola wrote her story about using oral re hydration and GOD healing her, it was not an advise on how to cure ebola, it could help others in that situation.

• chiadi

October 29, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Mohammad,
      Thank you for your kind regards about my recovery.
      However, I want to emphasise that what I recommend is an INTEGRATED treatment. Medical/scientific attention must be paid to the individual BUT in conjunction with emotional, mental, nutritional, spiritual etc. attention. Wellness is about the ‘whole man ‘ and most illnesses are psychosomatic(mind/body related) in nature according to scientific research.
      I am also sure that you don’t doubt that the food we eat goes a long way in helping our bodies stay well and regenerate where neccessary.

2. wunmi

October 29, 2014 at 11:31 am

This is such an encouraging read. I couldn’t hold back the tears. Thank you so much Ma’am for sharing this deep & intimate part of your life. I could feel all you went through by just reading. I could also relate with the part on losing your mom & having to look out for your dad & sibs. I lost my mom at 15 and was told I was now the mother of my siblings & even my dad. I practically lived in fear because I was afraid of losing my dad (dreaded being an orphan) & sibs. I remember constantly worrying if my dad was a few hours late from work. I lived in fear until he died 3yrs ago and I still blame myself. I feel I could have prayed more, fought harder for his survival (we went from hospital to hospital -6hospital in all). I am all too familiar with hiding the emotions and keeping a strong face for everyone. I am inspired by your story and my faith has been greatly strengthen by your encounter with God. I will do more of emotional detox (been trying that off and on). I guess I need to be more determined to totally clean up emotionally

• Chiadi

October 29, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Wunmi,
      Even if I wrote this story just for your sake, I am honoured.
      There is no need to torment yourself about your father passing on. Is his life in your hands? If you had the power would you not keep him alive? Guilt is toxic. Please don’t compromise the beautiful gift of life God has given you. You will be fine, believe me… God did it for me.
      He will do it for you.

3. Jane

October 29, 2014 at 11:33 am

Most physical diseases have a deep spiritual/emotional root. Glad Chiadi could get to the root of her disease. Wishing her continued good health.

Nigerwifediary.blogspot.com

4. sumbor

October 29, 2014 at 11:50 am

woow!very educating.

5. Wendypalm

October 29, 2014 at 12:41 pm

You are a living testimony and your healing is permanent in Jesus name. I believe storing painful events in our minds is a problem we must all learn how to solve by sharing our thoughts with those that truly care and not those that will listen and say ”ehyah, hhmmm, na wa o, this life sha, i see…”. We need to surround ourselves with positive thinking people. People that their words are way better than cash. Words that bring positive ideas and solution.

I pray with you on this journey. And the HANDS of GOD will continually support and be on you. Thank you for sharing your experience.

6. Regenerated

October 29, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Dear Chiadi as I read this article, I prayed for myself silently. Thank God for the healing He brought your way. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, I gained a lot. I embrace that peace and …all is well.

7. Ameena

October 29, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Thank you for sharing, God is always in the business of restoring our souls and He has indeed restored yours and healed you to the uttermost .

8. Patricia

October 29, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever and He is our Healer. Jesus opened the scrolls to Isaiah in the temple and read this verse. “The Spirit of the Lord God is upon Me because He has anointed Me to preach good tidings to the poor, He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, to open the prison to those who are bound, and to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.” ( Isaiah 61:1 ) Chiadi, Jesus healed your broken heart and set you free from your emotional pain and when your soul was healed, then your body became whole. The Apostle Paul explained the connection between the health of one’s body and the soul. “Beloved I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers.” (1 John 1:2). The spirit, soul, and body are all interconnected and you discovered this truth. Continue to share your story with others so they can become whole through Jesus Christ.

9. Jojo

October 29, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Quite interesting

10. Pat

October 30, 2014 at 4:11 am

“I am also sure that you don’t doubt that the food we eat goes a long way in helping our bodies stay well and regenerate where necessary” very well said. .And I am glad u got your healing :). Stay blessed:)

11. feyisayo

October 30, 2014 at 10:11 am

Pastor chiadi, I was opportuned to be under your ministration on marriage some months back at RCCG, house of David, Ogudu. Ever since I sought to meet you one on one, thank you so much for sharing this piece.. Its very touching and encouraging. My mother died at the age of 31 when I was about 3years old (I can’t in my earliest remembrance picture her while she was alive, I only stare into her pictures and try to have a conversation with her) she was a second wife of my father and I was her only child. I had to live with people (relations) all through my growing years, Life has been ****(I don’t have the right adjective) my dad who I met initially when I was already 20years also died. I met him feb2011, he died of stroke november that year, I saw him a total of 5 times in my life….. Right now all I do is just wonder, how things are like this with me, though something within me tells me ‘God is working out everything for my Good’ but many times I forget that and wallow in self pity…. Right now I have problems trusting people because of the people I grew up with, I’m 25years, living independently, connecting sparingly to blood relations, single, struggling to survive, trusting no one, pushing myself hard in the day, breaking down at nights, believing in God for a change…… One major lesson I took from your story is your spiritual connection in the midst of your situation, how were you able to commune with God in that state (knowing that complains are not allowed and faith is never compromised) please ma, I really need to see you… I need help.

• chiadi

November 3, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Hi Feyisayo,
      Send me a mail on [email protected] and add your number. Lets talk. God be with you…

• Queenbee

November 11, 2015 at 11:36 am

Hi Feyisayo,

Can I meet u? please contact me: [email protected]. Thank you

12. Moi

October 30, 2014 at 12:09 pm

@Feyisayo, sometimes we seek for answers where there is none. I can tell you that i know exactly what you are going through because i have been there and because i am holding on to God strongly, I can say things are good even when i see the difficulties, i still keep pushing. I met my father for the first time sometime in July 2009 (i really cannot remember because i have decided to forget him for good). I was 22years. I thought we were going to have that father-daughter relationship afterwards but it never came but i was fulfilled because i met him and had the satisfaction i didn’t fall from heaven (because my mother made me feel that way. She told me lies about how he abandoned her and told her to have an abortion blah blah blah meanwhile the man never knew i was conceived let alone know he has a beautiful grown up daughter somewhere). To make is worst, I got married to my best friend and less than two months, he passed away (now thats a situation you keep asking yourself “why me”?). Guess what, “why not you?”. We find ourselves in situations we never plan for, we never brought them on ourselves but we find ourselves there. We just have to face reality and hold on to God. How many people do you want to explain your situation to? Some will listen, make sorry comments but never give the right help. What is that help? money sometimes can’t even take the pain away but the words of God is soothing. Sometimes i feel like going the wrong way even though i know the word of God but i remind myself, “what will you gain there?”.

So Feyisayo, hold on to your God, Pray as hard as you can, fast and keep calling Him. HE hears us. He might not answer you immediately as you expect, but He is a good listener. He will answer you soonest (i need not go into what i have been through in my life but trust me, i have seen more than i should have for my age and my mum and I don’t have a good mother-daughter relationship because there is no trust and thats the truth).
    You will excel my dear friend. Am about your age but am strong. Trust me, situations like these can either make you weak or strong but I CHOSE to be strong. Be strong and you will understand all you are going through is just a phase in life that will surely come to pass. Live to be God’s testimony to others…

13. Jeremy,s mum

October 31, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Chiadi I listen to you on radio and I must say that you are changing lives positively. God bless the work of your hands

14. iyatum

February 24, 2015 at 10:01 pm

Dear Chiadi, thanks for sharing your story, it almost brought me to tears because I have known you now for years and never knew you were going through this traumatic experience. but praise God it is all over now and God takes all the glory. I am encouraged by the birth of BTH Integrated services and can appreciate your passion much better, By God’s grace, many more lives will be changed with abounding testimonies, and your passion (the works of your hands) will yield you Joy, Peace and unspeakable rewards.
    I am looking forward to meeting you soon.

15. chidi Maduka

November 11, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Chiadi is a rock star and a half! you would never know when you meet her that she ever even had issues…she blesses you everytime you are with her, with her wisdom and guideance. love this woman!!!!