News

Breaking: Diezani Alison-Madueke is OPEC’s First-Ever Female President

Diezani
Nigeria’s Minister of Petroleum Resources Diezani Alison-Madueke has been announced as the new President of the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC).
She was elected today at the ongoing 166th General Meeting of the OPEC in Vienna, Austria.

1. Nne

November 27, 2014 at 1:52 pm

MA PLEASE ADOPT ME OR JUST LEND ME SOME CASH!…lol….She might be corrupt but i have to give it to her she has Focus……from Shell to minister to Opec…All the best

• Fre

November 27, 2014 at 2:38 pm

When was it ever confirmed that she’s corrupt? They are just allegations for now

2. Ruby

November 27, 2014 at 1:57 pm

This is a wonderful news. Very proud of you ma. Ladies like this, keep my eyes focused and motivate me to keep pursuing my dreams…my dreams are valid.
    Congratulations Ma!

3. Anon

November 27, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Does that mean she will be eased out of her post as Petroleum Minister? If yes, perfect soft landing for her.

4. deb

November 27, 2014 at 2:11 pm

GOD please bless my career. To all saying amen for me in this comment section I promise to be nice to you all when I get tothe peak of my career. #lol#biggest grin. Is there any link between fallen oil prices andd this appointment? Please help my ignorance

• Bobo

November 27, 2014 at 2:46 pm

There’s really no link. Prices are falling because of less demand from the BIGGEST consumers:. US and China (including other Asian countries). Saudi (member of OPEC and biggest exporter) is forced to drop prices to offset the low demand. OPEC becomes a bit useless (well to US and China). Oil producing countries may suffer a bit…but at the same time…Oil, diesel, even gold become more affordable for us which in turn increases middle class spending and which in turn may somehow help stimulate a weakening economy

• Iris

November 28, 2014 at 3:20 am

Honestly I was listening to the news today and didn’t even know what to do with myself. I hope Nigeria has a back-up plan sha. As usual they cannot think beyond today and their pockets and in their minds the world was going to need OPEC oil forever and ever amen. This one that America is apparently going into shale production…hmmmm

5. nola

November 27, 2014 at 2:15 pm

kai Nigerians o, 4 comments here, but where the topic is headed, please help, my bf is cheating on me.. 365 comments..lol.. Anyway aunty d pls resign as minister and face this job, so that someone else can chop this oiyel money

6. Thatgidigirl

November 27, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Truly good girls never get the corner office

• Bleed Blue

November 27, 2014 at 3:34 pm

LOL!!!

• Mz Socially Awkward...

November 27, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Truly, that will “everly” seem to be the way forward in Nigerian politics…

7. nomad

November 27, 2014 at 2:18 pm

It’s a ceremonial post, only one year and no responsibilities other than preside over a few meetings. As oil minister of an OPEC country and its senior representative,, it was bound to fall to her at some point as it’s a rotational position. Don’t get your panties in a bunch. She is not Secretary-General

• eya

November 27, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Nomad, abeg, do us a favour and wander elsehwhere.

• nomad

November 27, 2014 at 4:03 pm

why is it paining you? it’s only the truth. She is not stepping down from her position in Naija

• BubblyBliss

November 27, 2014 at 9:02 pm

She sha collected it. Hi hater!!!!

8. jonz

November 27, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Well done!
    Even the BBC are yet to report this lol

9. Fre

November 27, 2014 at 2:29 pm

sheeeeeeeet!
    DOPENESS!
    Inspired!
    It’s outsiders that celebrate you.
    This is a BIG deal.
    Not only is the OPEC president a NIGERIAN, the OPEC president is a WOMAN. A NIGERIAN WOMAN.
    🙂 Okay, I’ve made too much noise, lol.

10. benny

November 27, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Damnnnnnnn. Congrats ma!

*clears throat*
    No be by photoshoot…

11. Mee

November 27, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Congrats to her. I tap into her Grace. I will achieve much more in my time in Jesus name… Amen!

12. Bobosteke & Lara Bian

November 27, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Congratulations, Ma’am.

13. EMMANUEL OLNREWAJU OBIKOYA

November 27, 2014 at 2:55 pm

THANKS BE TO GOD IN THE HIGHEST,THAT IS WHAT WE NEED,FOR OUR NATION,AND FOR YOUR PERSON AND YOUR FAMILY,WITH US YOUR GOOD BELOVED FRIENDS,AS FOR ME IT A GREATER GLORY TO, AND MY PERSON IS VERY HAPPY WITH YOU MUMMY DIEZANI ALISON MADUEKE…BYE.

14. laura

November 27, 2014 at 2:58 pm

is this good or bad news, we wait and find out!

15. Ibinabo

November 27, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Wow! Big Congrats to her..

16. Author Unknown

November 27, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Nomad has put it very well. She was probably just corrupt Nigeria’s nominee. Hopefully there’s no money entrusted to her because from what I hear, she devours everything in sight.

17. EMMANUEL OLANREWAJU OBIKOYA

November 27, 2014 at 3:12 pm

AM VERY SO IT BEEN LONG TIME,IT ALL ABOUT MY PROMISE I KEPT,OVER DE CASE OF DE CO-OPERATE AFFAIRS COMMISSION (CAC),OF ROMEFAKIGOC GROUP TO HELP PRIVATIZE 4 OIL REFINERIES,AND TO MAKE THE OIL SECTOR IN NIGERIA BACK TO NORMAL WAYS OF OIL PRODUCING NATION ON EARTH.SO IT VERY SAD THAT THE DOCUMENT IS STILL WITH MY FAMILY,AND YET I HAVE NOT FULL CONNECT TO MY FAMILY,OVER MY LIVING PLACE.BUT VERY SOON,I WILL BE JOIN WITH MY DIVINE HOME.THEN I WILL PASTE THE DOCUMENT OF THE CERTIFICATE ON MY FACEBOOK ACCOUNT.THANKS BYE.

• beht why

November 27, 2014 at 3:54 pm

My friend, if you don’t stop…

• benny

November 27, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Loooooooooool

• Ewa

November 27, 2014 at 5:44 pm

LMAO!!!

• IsThatWhyWeAreHere?

November 27, 2014 at 5:56 pm

LMFAO.

• Marie Antoinette

November 27, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Emmanuel Olanrewaju Obikoya please forget oil wells and go back to school. Thanks. Bye.

18. Doxa

November 27, 2014 at 3:36 pm

#GodYouBlessWillMyHustle

19. Doxa

November 27, 2014 at 3:37 pm

#GodYouBlessMyHustle
    Congrats madam!

20. ME

November 27, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Bella naija….this news is not confirmed…..mere rumour….im quite surprised at u…

21. jake ro

November 27, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Either way , history will record her as first woman opec president.it is a big deal considering the countries that are in opec which are most ly countries from the middle east who are known tolook down on women.even if it is for 6 months.is still worth it.she is an african remember.as for wether bbc report it or not , it is irrelevant.what is bbc anyway.do they really care about your welfare.low oil price as we can see is helping the middle class a little.hope it stays stable so that both the producers and the cnsumers can benefit from it

22. Dzy

November 27, 2014 at 8:01 pm

The position is not giving to a person but to a country, who ever is the petroleum minister of the country assumes the position. So if she quits as petroleum minister the next person appointed will also take up the position. Congrats to her though. OPEC is struggling now they do not have as much power as they used to. The US is producing so much crude now and slow growth of the global economy is reducing demand. Crude prices might continue to fall, countries like Nigeria needs diversify and remove subsidy.

23. Rita

November 27, 2014 at 10:57 pm

I am proud of you. Congratulations, I will get there.