Features

Adetuke Morgan: The Day I Got a ‘Car-ducation’

I was driving home from the dentist last week and noticed that the battery light in the dashboard of the car I drive had come on. I called the driver to ask why and he said he’ll check it when he got home.

I sent a picture of it to a friend and he said check the battery and make sure the connections are good or consider replacement.
He said it’s just a battery warning that it’s getting weak so the battery needs to be charged or worst case it needs to be jump started.

Now, I didn’t think much of it and left the House to run some errands as work was resuming the next day.photo 1-7 I was on my way to VI from Ikoyi and something odd happened, the radio went off, a couple of minutes later, the ac went off and I tried winding down but the window didn’t budge.

At this point I started to panic a little and the car was jerking and halting plus some other lights had come on in the dashboard.

photo 2-7

I was on Adetokunbo Ademola and was praying to make it to my friend’s office opposite Eko hotel. Unfortunately for me that didn’t happen.  The car just died bang in the middle of the road, a few steps away from FCMB. I was shocked, scared and the people blasting their horns at me didn’t help matters either.

Some of the FCMB drivers helped me push the car to the side of the road. Someone from my friend’s office came to sort it out but the car didn’t start and it had to be pushed to the office.

I’m glad that this happened during the daytime and not at night. I’m glad it didn’t happen on Third Mainland Bridge. I’m glad it didn’t happen on one of my adventurous journey’s or in an area I’m unfamiliar with.

This is a public service announcement to people – ladies especially – to get to know your car. Know what the different lights mean, learn how to change a flat tyre, know what’s under the hood too…because you never know.

Apparently the alternator of this car was bad and it usually needs replacement after 5 years. The light didn’t blink for up to 1 hour of driving yet the car died. If an unusual light starts flashing in your car, sort it out immediately.

Have you ever had any bad car experiences? Please share them and how you dealt with them too.

Adetuke Morgan is a lifestyle blogger who is passionate about playing the Saxophone, writing, modeling and acting. She loves to travel, rocks her Natural hair with pride and is a sucker for great food. Read about her adventures in Lagos at Tuke's Quest and follow her on Twitter & Instagram @TukeMorgan

1. Taiwo

January 28, 2015 at 4:15 pm

I had the same issue with my alternator. It was hell!!! Had to buy 2 batteries to drive my car home, cos the mechanic scared the hell out of me with all he said.

2. TA

January 28, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Car troubles! If I start relating all the ‘pepper’ cars have shown me over the years, that will be an article all by itself. LOL You know that Chic that just jumps into a car and drives off. That is me.
    The most recent experience that comes to mind is when I was driving my cousin’s car and the right wheel pulled out along Bourdillion on a hot Sunday in December. I just wanted to lie down on the road and wail like a brat. Lol! The car had to be towed to the Mechanic’s. Apparently, the right wheel pull out is a peculiar problem to Honda Accords and the poor car had been sending out warning but my cousin just ignored it. What pained me most was that I had to fork out almost 15k to tow the car.

3. Neo

January 28, 2015 at 5:27 pm

Ah, car wahala is my forte! My first car was a fourth hand Peugeot 306 LE which i nicknamed Chukwuma. That car showed me ShegeOba! It was as if it knew month end! As soon as salary enter Chuks will develop one heavy ailment and the parts for that car were expensive! My mechanic would laugh at me that dont i know i am driving big car. I would look at the pulsing lump of metal and smirk. Big car indeed! With time i learnt how to fix things myself my way. One side mirror was tied with shoe lace when Lagos okadamen knocked it off for the umpteenth time. No more winding down the drivers glass (learned the hard way the day rain beat me inside car on my way to a wedding!) I had one stone permanently in the boot to knock loose things back in place. My mechanic today cannot cheat me. Chuks was a lesson in survival on his own.

• Ugo

January 28, 2015 at 6:56 pm

Oh Neo! I still remember Chukwuma from your comment once on ‘Isio knows better’…laughed so hard I still can’t forget. Well, nice to know Chukwuma is the past now.

• Nuna

January 28, 2015 at 7:47 pm

LMAOOOO. The name of the car sef….

• Chinma

January 29, 2015 at 7:46 am

Hahahahahahahahahahha Neo u r a case, Chukwuma aka Chuks for short. Wow I laughed so hard this morning at this comment.

• Hephzibah Frances

Frances Okoro

February 24, 2015 at 9:32 pm

I am laughing soooo hard here..
      Chukwuma!!

Looooolsss

4. Abena

January 28, 2015 at 5:51 pm

hahahahaha,u had me laughing like a fool at the office… ” One side mirror was tied with shoe lace when Lagos okadamen knocked it off for the umpteenth time” ………..”I had one stone permanently in the boot to knock loose things back in place. My mechanic today cannot cheat me. Chuks was a lesson in survival on his own.” U are something else!!hahahahaha

5. presh

January 28, 2015 at 6:06 pm

Neo I laughed really hard on reading your comment! Jeez that was way hilarious. Firstly I hve sworn to work really hard to afford a brand new car, tokunbo cars will never come near me by the grace of God. My Nissan show me Enhhh. I went from getting a matching fanbellt, to changing brake pads, battery, a new front tire, just this afternoon, I lost another tire.. am sure mechanics will pray to hve more female clients than male. So dey can chop and chop.

• Mo

January 30, 2015 at 11:03 am

On mechanics chopping female drivers.. I remember once when a mechanic charged me 6k to buy alternator belt that cost apparently about 1k…. and to think I thought this guy was genuine.

Its been over a year o, but everytime I rmbr, I cuss the guy.

6. Ngozi Nwaugo

January 28, 2015 at 6:12 pm

Oooo my my alternator has done same to me my car went off an intersection the traffic light just let us go cars were honking at me from all corners ,it was morning rush hour ,I was taking my daughter to school ,I was just calling on Jesus Jesus and she was asking me mommy what is wrong I was terrified ,can’t forget that day God saved me from Abuja drivers ,finally I managed to roll the car to the parking spaces on the road and pulled up the hand brake I couldn’t wind up my windows and when I tried to open the door I was mortified and something just told me to manually pull the handle,I just quickly grabbed my daughter nd ran out

7. ufuoma

January 28, 2015 at 6:18 pm

lmao!!! you absolutely just made my night i’m dying with laughter imagining you using a shoe lace to tie your mirror down. Anyway i”m still in the process of getting my license but when i do i intend to attend one of those introductory courses on fixing minor car problems

8. iwalewa

January 28, 2015 at 6:28 pm

I dont joke with light signs on my dashboard. infact google is my friend. My male colleagues wonder how i know the meaning of all dese dashboard signs. My mechanic sef can’t cheat me.

9. Emma

January 28, 2015 at 7:12 pm

@TA i can imagine(15k na $100 o, no be beans). i would be scared, pele.
    @Neo, u r a clown.

Thanks for sharing ladies.
    i do not own a car sha, not even tyre. lol

10. Dr.N

January 28, 2015 at 7:31 pm

My 1st car was a toyota corolla of blessed memory. I carried water In d boot in case things got heated up (get my drift?). Also my high heels were for hitting d battery terminals. Those were d days, men!

11. sarah

January 28, 2015 at 9:58 pm

Lol Neo your comments made me laugh, I love your innovative thinking lol.

princessaudu.blogspot.com

12. Neo yaff kill me

January 28, 2015 at 10:03 pm

Hahaha
    Neo yaf kill me

You people know the kinda car they call “feje run e” that is the car runs on blood not fuel.

You use all your body parts including your blood to drive the car. hehehe
    Use the two legs to march the brake before it catches; struggle with the gear before it enters, flat tyres on a daily basis; regular customer at the mechanic workshop…..

God bless our hustle
    There is a story behind the man using a range today

1.. FYI, no matter how cheap a car is going for, as long as it is not a direct belgium/Tokunbo (from Cotonou) or a shipped in from US, please never buy! You will end up being miserable

If your savings can’t get a tear rubber, please go for a us shipped in (2nd option) or a direct belgium (3rd alternative)

2. Mechanics are there to make profit and a living out of people. Never give in to what a mechanic says just like that. Call one or two to confirm. Many are even trial and error mechos. Get a car that has a readily available spare part and expert mechanics .

3. Big cars are expensive to maintain. Jeeps, cruisers, e.t.c. They have prestige and good to behold but please dont start with a big car. Big cars are meant to be used occasionally or for long distance trips not everyday running around. From experience, 1. the spare parts are not easily gotten, 2. mechanics who can work on them aint much, 3. the spare parts cost an eye. small part like this, 100k. dont spend your salary on one spare part., 4. they consume fuel.

4. Once in a while, close your eyes and visit mechanics who use computer/systems to check the car. They have small gadgets they connect to the car, under the dashboard that will detect what is wrong with the car in a matter of seconds. dont allow mechanics chop your head doing trial and error….

All these shall soon be a thing of the past.
    we ll buy tear rubbers

Experience of a 3rd/4th hand cars cant be compared to a brand new/direct cars. 6months, you may never visit any workshop except changing of oil

peace

13. blow

January 28, 2015 at 11:36 pm

Don’t own a car yet……..looking forward to having one……

14. Eve82

January 29, 2015 at 8:11 am

This is one of the dumbest articles I’ve ever read. If you can not maintain a car, pls don’t drive one. It’s common sense. And not all females are dumb and helpless when it comes to car issues.

• LANRE

January 31, 2015 at 1:31 am

You are angry. What happened????? If you would just calm down you would notice that she is advocating that we all learn basic maintenance.

• Abeks

January 31, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Abeg shut up. Have you even been given a chance to write an article? Can you even write one? If you aint got something nice to say DON’T SAY IT AT ALL! If you must speak then let it be positive criticism. Not just opening your mouth to talk nonsense. KMT!

15. Ela

January 29, 2015 at 9:00 am

[email protected] Neo u have me laughing and hiting my office desk o. Chukwuma really dealt with you. I have had alternator trouble before luckily i was close to the house, so parked the car and walked home.

16. Yellow Pawpaw

January 29, 2015 at 10:07 am

Na wa for you ooo eve8z, why so pained. Females generally have issues with maintaining cars, while it seems like men have the God-given ability to decipher them. Please get a man in your life(friend, husband, brother whatever) to drive your car once a while and discover things wrong with it. My car gasket got burnt on Lagos Ibadan expressway because it had been giving lights as warning signs and i never noticed. These things happen, the writer is soo right, females get to know your car…

17. Awesome

January 29, 2015 at 10:17 am

Errrr, alternators pack up. But they don’t usually need replacement after 5yrs (facts right). Like everything else, light flickers on your dash, you investigate. Simples

18. Gi

January 29, 2015 at 11:38 am

Neo got me laughing all over the office! O my! “Chucks” was no walk in the park men.