Features

Ifeoluwa Olawole: Je Ne Suis Pas Charlie Hebdo

Unless you live under a rock and you haven’t come out breathe, then you can be excused if you did not hear about the Charlie Hebdo terrorist attacks.

In summary, the newspaper was a target of a terrorist attack last week. This attack was presumed to be in response to a number of controversial Muhammad cartoons published. In support of the newspaper, and in solidarity for freedom of press and speech, a hashtag ensued, #JeSuisCharlieHebdo which literally means I am Charlie Hebdo. Days later, world leaders marched in unity and in support of Charlie Hebdo.

I am sure you must therefore be wondering if I am insane, considering that the title of this post means I am not Charlie Hebdo. I am not a Muslim. I am not a terrorist. I will never be in support of terrorism. I know there’s a global war against terrorism, so I am happy about the stand for unity, progress and freedom. That being said, I still am not Charlie Hebdo.

I am not Charlie Hebdo because I am too busy being Baga. I am Chibok. I am Borno. I am Jos. I am Nigerian. In the past week, there was an attack in Baga, a town in northeastern Nigerian state of Borno. Now, there are discrepancies on the amount of dead people. Some say 2,000, some others 200. But the fact still remains that people died. The Nigerian leadership has expressed it’s condolences to the French people, but has not made a statement on the attack on Baga. Isn’t that insanity? How has this become the reality in Nigeria? How have Nigerians become so insensitive to the killings of our fellow countrymen? So much that when I see a news about another Boko Haram attack on my Twitter feed, I just scroll past it like it’s one of those things. We are now so used to it that it does not bother us anymore. Waking up to bombs and machetes has become the realities of some innocent children in the north, while the rest of us sip on fancy champagnes and take fancy airplane rides. Some of us had the best holidays we could think of. For some of us the kinds of problems we deal with is whether to get a pair of shoes in red or pink.

But you see that’s not really my headache. The real headache is how young Nigerians (on my social media) have so much empathy for Black Americans, but cannot squeeze out some of that empathy for the unfortunate children in the north.

If I had a dollar for every time someone on my timeline tweeted about injustice and racism in America, I’d have bought myself a Ferrari right about now. Yes, there’s racism in America. Black Americans are being wrongly profiled yada yada. You know what’s also true? Black Americans have enough people fighting and protesting these injustice on a daily basis. Black Americans have the whole world protesting injustice on their behalf. You know who has nobody creating awareness for them? Those innocent people in northern Nigeria.

The last straw that broke the camel’s back was #JeSuisCharlieHebdo. Ladies and gentlemen, do you know that when those Chibok girls were abducted, Charlie Hebdo made a publication in outright mockery of those girls? I am for freedom of whatever. But I am certainly not for using your freedom to the detriment of other people.

Therefore, before you are Charlie Hedbo, remember to be Baga. Remember to be Jos, Nassarawa, Maiduguri…remember to be Nigerian.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime |  Laurin Rinder

Ifeoluwa Olawole is currently a graduate student, who is very interested in International Development and Politics, and hopes to pursue a career in that sector. When she's not dreaming of world peace, she spends her time watching and re-watching her favorite T.V shows. You can visit her little corners on cyber space at www.fivecoveredcolonnades.blogspot.com and www.theloveoasis.com

1. lisa

January 15, 2015 at 6:50 pm

GOD Bless u Ifeoluwa,tell them plsssss.Nigerians can love to deceive themselves and forget their backyard is burning.dis issue of boko haram is gradually spreading and ppl are acting nonchalant.The thieves that have stolen Nigerias Money are not even safe in this same Nigeria and abroad.GOD help us all

• MiaJadore

January 15, 2015 at 9:44 pm

This your comment and the 1160k plus times you chose to love your comment, is the reason why BN should get rid of that feature. Especially on serious topics such as this. You and the writer of this article should read both @Funmi and @Leah comments below to get an understanding of why you need to speak up not just when it’s happening in your own backyard.

• lisa

January 16, 2015 at 9:57 am

Mia whatever ur name is u are one ofd major problems Nigeria has.why do Nigerians have to wait for outsiders to condemn the attack in their country before they speak up?I am not saying what happened in France is ok,no life is better than the other.ppl are just talking about the baga incidence just cos American celebrities are talking about it.same thing happened with d chibok girls issue.we must talk about our problems first before we talk about other ppls own.charity begins at home,if u don’t like the likes u can throw urself down d stairs pls

2. Anu.M

January 15, 2015 at 6:51 pm

Whoa! Amazing…Anu

3. Destiny

January 15, 2015 at 7:06 pm

Thanks for this post my sentiment exactly. Western lives seems to be of greater value than African lives. Nigerians only took notice of the bring back our girls campaign when Hollywood actors started supporting it. Now that they’ve gone back to their normal lives, we’ve also forgotten about those girls. What we forget to realise is that those girls are our realities we could easily be in their place. But we forget and move on to the next fad. That’s the problem with Nigerians were so entrenched in what’s going on outside that we ignore our own backyards. That’s why I refuse to get involved in all these hashtag none sense because if we all take a second to rationalise it wel feel stupid for our crowd mentality.

4. sheedah

January 15, 2015 at 7:08 pm

This is very on point. Nigeria lays trying to associate with everything foreign. If it was a Muslim that wrote this article everybody will start saying the person supports terrorism. What charlie hebdo did was out rightly wrong .you can’t use your freedom of expression to attack the prophet of another religion .the Jews need to stop this oppression.

• LOL

January 15, 2015 at 10:29 pm

oh shut up! this is not in any way a religious post.

• Anon

January 16, 2015 at 1:13 am

Jews? Who? Charlie Hebdo? They are well known atheists and they have attacked every religion. They attack the Jews as much as they attack the Moslems and the Christians.

5. sheedah

January 15, 2015 at 7:08 pm

Sorry I mean nigerians

6. xoxo

January 15, 2015 at 7:09 pm

A million likes for this post!!

7. fefe

January 15, 2015 at 7:13 pm

Ditto!! I can’t stand all these people and their political correctness.

8. IvY

January 15, 2015 at 7:17 pm

#iamNigerian, #amiNdoNigeria

9. Fashionista

January 15, 2015 at 7:22 pm

I am all those things you mention, as my heart goes out to their plights and I say prayers for them daily but I am also Charlie Hebdo. Simply because, just as the many Children, men and women are being massacred in the North, a lot of workers, innocent by standers, Police officers and civilians were also murdered during the terrorist attack in France. One life isn’t more important than the other, we can all be many things, we don’t have to be one or the other, what is important is taking a stand, a stand for justice, a stand for equality, a stand for fairness, a stand against violence and terrorism. It would have been helpful if you included a link to the mockery Charlie Hebdo made of the Chibok girls, I didn’t know about that and if it is true then that is just wrong.

• VeryAngryNigerian

January 15, 2015 at 7:33 pm

If she posted the link, would it make you feel Charlie Hebdo deserved what they got?

• Fashionista

January 15, 2015 at 10:51 pm

Definitely not. I referred to the link just for information purposes because like I said, I didn’t know. Its difficult to say someone deserves death really.

• #BringBackOurGirls

January 15, 2015 at 9:25 pm

i hope this helps. lailasblog.com/2015/01/check-out-charlie-hebdos-cartoon-of.html

10. RObleu

January 15, 2015 at 7:37 pm

As a Nigerian in the Americas I am moved and affected by what happens in Naija and in the states. I see no problem in supporting effective change in both locations. I am also very proud of your stance. With all the amazing music that is coming out from Nigerian these past several years I can’t help but wonder if any of our current musical stars would risk using their music as a powerful weapon to address the ills that are currently happening.

• vikky

January 15, 2015 at 9:28 pm

Actually, they are using their music to address issues like these but guess what, the ones that do ,do not get the recognition or are not as mainstream. E.g. Brymo. Did you listen to his song Down or everybody needs something? Phenomenal but no one cares and no one plays it on the airways or promotes it bc what, it is not abt nyash n uses less twerking. Tubaba does too but the songs that he sings abt societal ills almost never make it big. So we are our own problems , n we need to start looking within. That change needs to happen within us for it to be portrayed outwards.

11. Dee

January 15, 2015 at 7:37 pm

People will treat us the way our President treats us. If as a man or woman you don’t respect your spouse you can’t expect others to respect them. Let us face our issues and leave France alone. What we should be focussing on is the fact that our President had time to sympatise with France yet he hasn’t made any statement about the mass murder if his own people

12. ceee

January 15, 2015 at 7:42 pm

A million likes for this post. You really spoke my mind. I’m not for terrorism but they should have done what they did. That said, we have more pressing issues in Nigeria than charlie hebo. I am Nigeria, always have been, always will be

13. bunmisimple

January 15, 2015 at 7:43 pm

wonderful piece, yeah one life isn’t important than the other. hey guys, if you are talented and want to grow and be known, come with your articles, videos, I will post them for FREE. i’m trying to give very talented a chance to be seen and make it in whatever industry they belong.

bunmisimplesblog.com

14. gia

January 15, 2015 at 7:51 pm

Just saw the chibok girls cartoon…very sick…
    I already know that what im going to say is going to make many people mad but i’ll just go ahead and say it…i dont care… just wish Nigeria wasn’t half islamic…cause let’s face it,that religione has not ben of any use for our country infact it has been source of danger and nothing else…seeing how 100% christian african countries,with all their problems,can still at least boast of not having crazy fundamental religious terrorist among their citizens makes me weep forma naija…and before you alla attack i am noto a christian!

• Anon

January 16, 2015 at 1:08 am

Sick? Just by looking at it, you interpreted it as such without deeper thought?

100% christian african countries – name one please and I will show you the stats.

15. khaleepha

January 15, 2015 at 7:52 pm

God that will bless you will continue to bless you generation folds. this right here is common sense. no influence whatsoever, i thought there was no Nigerian that could reason anymore, finally there is one that could even speak and not just reason right but speak right. woh olohun o tunbo ma shanuu e, wa dagba, wa dogbo, wa bi ako, wa bi abo, o ni was idunnu ti, ayo at ore fun gbogbo molebi eh.

16. chinco

January 15, 2015 at 7:57 pm

Thank you for this article… IamNigeria

17. Leah

January 15, 2015 at 8:17 pm

I am Chibok, Charlie Hebdo, Baga etc. The point is anti terrorism no matter where it is and who the victims are. The reason why Nigerians are against the anti racism and police brutality in the US is because some of them live in the US and their children and grand children are African American young men who are targeted every day. Anyone could walk into a deli, a shop or any business and fall victim to these attacks. I don’t think we should be divisive when it comes to standing up against injustice and violence just because we are not directly involved. There are now a lot of African Americans who have no connections to Nigeria but are tweeting out their support to Nigeria, should they stop and focus on just what is going on in the US? Slavery would never have ended if white people did not participate in civil rights movement. That is why people are criticizing world leaders on their silence on what is going on in Nigeria. We ALL should speak up the best way we can when things like this happens no matter where.

The difference in what is going on in Nigeria is, not only does the President and Government know the parties involved, they know where they are, who is sponsoring them. The French government and leaders immediately took action and cracked down the suspects and are still making arrests ever since. No western country and their leaders will ever let a terrorist group take control of a part of their country. I don’t know who or how, but someone needs to start holding our leaders accountable for letting these attacks CONTINUE to happen on their watch.

18. Funmi

January 15, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Why do they have to be mutually exclusive? Compassion does not have to be compartmentalised. We can be Baga, Nassarawa, Charlie Hebdo, Eric Garner etc. because that’s what it is to be human- to show empathy.

I strongly doubt that Nigerians are not empathising with those ravaged families in Baga because the only reason foreign publications and celebrities started talking about the tragedy which was so blatantly ignored by our own leadership, was because of all the noise on social media. To make it seem like we have to choose between being Baga, Charlie etc. is also saying all those Western aid agencies shouldn’t care about African causes because there is poverty and unemployment in the States or wherever.

The real outrage is not that Africans are sympathising with foreign causes. The real outrage is that it has taken so long for our own president to even visit or comment on the attacks. CNN, The Guardian, Daily Mail, the BBC, Sky News, the Telegraph, Al Jazeera- the list could go on and on- ALL covered this story extensively before one glimpse of a gesture from our leadership, i.e. this visit to Maiduguri.

Let’s direct our criticism where it is truly deserved. As apathetic as Nigerians can be, I have to say we have really engaged with this security issue on social media and raised a lot of awareness. Without average Nigerians retweeting, sharing and posting, those victims would have been forgotten and that is just one crime too many, after everything they have gone through.

19. Amarachi

January 15, 2015 at 8:25 pm

I appreciate your article, but I think it is very wrong to generalize Nigerians. This is because It was mostly the Francophone people that supported the #jesuischarliehebdo, and of course our kiss ass president.

I am sick and tired of social media advocacy. It is like people do it to show that they are supporting a good cause, while still living their normal live. Nigeria does not need the world armchair advocacy… Besides, the West does not assist for free. If we want them in Nigeria-they will definitely request something in return. So how do we fight for what is ours? For It breaks my heart to see Nigeria fall. I feel helpless about the injustice happening in Nigeria. Stating that I am Baga is not even enough… gosh

20. Libgirl

January 15, 2015 at 8:27 pm

Nice piece, Ms. Olawole. This is not just a Nigerian problem, this is an African problem. As Africans, especially West Africans, I wish we would care more about ourselves and each other. Even it there were 2 people killed in Baga, the fact remains that lives were taken.

21. chi-e-z

January 15, 2015 at 8:37 pm

Did they use a stone and throw at the prophet? aha people to no deey use sense in this day and age. They mock everyone but na who send person go kill child pikin and mama over picture wey most people go throw for dust bin after reading for 3 minutes. Logic and Reasoning na truth oh.

22. HAWTTALKWITHTOSAN

January 15, 2015 at 8:37 pm

Great piece. This is however a world issue. So we should all stand together to fight terrorism. Having said that; our leaders are failing us. their cavalier attitude towards all these massacres is not encouraging the world to stand with us.

23. Mide

January 15, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Nice post Ife. So proud of u!

24. Amy

January 15, 2015 at 9:10 pm

Nigerians never cease to amaze me. While I respect the writer’s right to her opinion, and the comments in support, I feel Nigerians are the architect of their own fate. As one commentator put it, if you don’t respect your spouse, don’t be suprised if others disrespect him or her. Is it the Western world’s fault that we allow hare brained, idea less corrupt folks to rule us? Whose fault is it if the loss of 20 lives brings France, Germany, and other world leaders together and 20,000 lives only makes Nigerian rulers party all weekend at Aso or whatever their fortresses are called. I am w Nigerian american and I read almost all Nigerian newspapers daily. The tragedy of Nigeria is that of a country of psychotic rulers and mass hypnosis of the followers. The former governor of Virvinia was convicted for accepting some things from a goverment contractor. If it was Nigeria, he will show off the Rolex and the comments section will read “money is good” , I tap into the anointing” etc. that is why we have the second generation of thieves parading themselves on social media with their dad!s loot… It’s tragic

25. Amy

January 15, 2015 at 9:11 pm

I had some typos.. I meant Virginia

26. Amy

January 15, 2015 at 9:23 pm

When will we stop idolizingthose who stole our collective wealth just because we or someone close to us gets crumbs? Can we all suspend tribal and ethnic sentiments for a while and realize that those who trouble Nigeria are just mammon worshippers? When will it dawn on enough folks that we are all subsidizing and refunding the collective resources they are stealing? Everytime I send money to my parents who retired after 30 years, because someone is stealing their pension, I and others like me are refunding what we did not steal, reading about a director of that agency and his Range Rover as an example should infuriate any sensible person. Everytime you pay for your generator and you read about the 200 million naira house of Nepa DG you should be mad at them and start mobilizing. The level of theft and greed is unsustainable and has to stop. Stop glorifying evil and “tapping into stealing anointing”. FYI this is not applicable to everyone and I recognize and appreciate the few whose comment reflect the society we all hope for

• imose

January 16, 2015 at 7:11 am

I weep for Nigeria really. you made good valid points @Amy.

27. Idomagirl

January 15, 2015 at 9:43 pm

“I am not Charlie, I am Baga”. Why can’t you be both? Why must they be mutually exclusive?
    You can be Charlie, Chibok, Baga and Ferguson.

Obviously we should be more concerned about the fire in our backyards, but we shouldn’t switch off and ignore the pain of others. Empathy is what makes us human and should not be rationed.

28. Yemisi

January 15, 2015 at 9:45 pm

I agree 100%

29. Morinsola

January 15, 2015 at 9:46 pm

I dont support terrorism. If you havnot tak a life, your life shouldn’t be taken by another person. But then at the same time Chalie Hebdo is arguably a magazine that directs the bulk of its supposed “satire” to muslims because what?! No one knows. This is not a way of saying those dozen innoct people had what was coming to them but it is a way of saying just like this writer I am Baga and I am Chibok. The reason why I am not and will never be Charlie Hebdo is because unlike some of the people at Charlie Hebdo I refrain from isong my voice to mock amcertain group of people howefer hilarious I think myself.

30. aurora

January 15, 2015 at 10:27 pm

we cannot be baga, chibok or borno becos we dont even know how those places look.. we only heard about these places yesterday literally. no one ever really talks about those parts of Nigeria, you know why the black americans and charlie hebdo and co get so much support worldwide? cos of the press. theres an outcry by the press in those countries. there are objective non objective media reports and breaking news reports about the cases. you cant ignore them or feign ignorance on those issues. CNN will not let you rest. if only the Nigerian press would do the same, i would be baga, chibok etc.but no. we dont have that. they show us old clippings of a gas explosion in congo 5 years ago and call it baga,,, errr…. the Nigeria press dont know their duty is to inform, educate, incite and entertain. they choose mainly the entertainment bit and give us recycled gist everyday. whatever happened happened to breaking news and giving us at it happens? i understand we have a long way to go in terms of satellite field reports and all but an attempt would be very commendable. ebony life tv went to chibok and did a very thorough report of the place i was so impressed, i wonder why no other news agency did the same. so, im sorry but i cant cry about seemingly ”fictional” parts of Nigeria where conflicting reports are given. some will say no such thing happened another would say it happened and no one can verify the information. it sad but it is what it is.

sorry for typos

31. Anon

January 16, 2015 at 12:58 am

Ifeoluwa – is that your interpretation? Did you actually get a hold of the magazine and read exactly what that cover meant? Or did you try to do a short research on it?

It is satire!

“Touchez pas a nos allocs!” which can translate to “don’t touch our (welfare) allocations!”

What welfare allocations? Nigeria has no welfare allocation so how can that interpretation be taken literally? It was just a juxtaposition of two events.

This cover is a mix of two unrelated elements which made the news at about the same time:
    – Boko Haram victims likely to end up as sex slaves in Nigeria.
    – Decrease of French welfare allocations as espoused by the far right Front National.

CH was having a go at the French right wing for their criticisms of the welfare state. It’s a parody by using that picture and the heading aka satirical news mixing.

“The Boko Haram cover satirizes France’s far-right Front National’s absurd beliefs that immigrants come to the country to milk the welfare system.”

It’s mocking the Front National’s stereotypes, exactly like Stewart and Colbert mock the Republican Tea party.

“In France, each new child born increases the child support allocated to their mother/family. As a result of this, a common theme in right-wing rhetoric is the concept of “welfare queens” (mothers having many children for the sole purpose of claiming more benefits.”)

“The cartoon combines the two news stories and shows the pregnant kidnapped girls voicing their support for welfare benefits. It is a satirical window into the psyche of the Front National voter, who conflates many issues; Islamic activities abroad and benefit policies at home.”

A lone voice interpreted it differently – “this cover is a double snipe in classical Charlie style, both against Boko Haram and our right wing, NOT against the sex slaves or welfare queens. To misunderstand that shows complete ignorance of the French press and the left wing/anarchist tradition of Charlie.”

Do not take CH covers at face value!

• Honestagain

January 16, 2015 at 6:03 am

Anon!! Anon!! Anon!! You will live long!!!! BN please ensure you get the author of this article to read Anon’s comment – Thank you.

Madam Author, did you see how the French leaders reacted as soon as the CH event happened? That’s one of the reasons the world took the incident seriously. However in our precious Nigeria, it took days for our so-called leaders to even believe that the Chibok girls were abducted. We kept hearing questions like ‘Ehn, where are their photographs?’ In the past 2 weeks we have read stories on several explosions in the North….however political campaigns have continued like nothing out of the ordinary is going on….then you expect common citizens to take to the streets in protest of the happenings in the North so that those trigger-happy police officers will use us for ‘happy new year’…..you try well well…..welldone!

• nikky

January 16, 2015 at 12:20 pm

kai…..this person know book o. anon, u too know book, that’s ya problem. Lol. How do you think this ‘SHOOT FIRST, THINK LATER MENTALITY” that the average Nigerian has will allow them do research on that cover sef?? I saw the cover and the interpretation meant”don’t touch our welfare allocation”…it made me think. is it just because the the girls were drawn that translates to them mocking Chibok girls?? OK, if they are truly mocking, why write about welfare? Nigerians do not collect welfare allocations (who born una?) so this certainly means smth deeper…I then come on here and read the comments criticizing them and i am left wondering…Nigerian, when will we learn to think first, be sure then pass judgement?? Must you be quick to pass judgement…

32. AZUBUIKE NNAMDI

January 16, 2015 at 1:49 am

The article by Ifeoluwa hit the nail on the head.I was beginning to lose hope on the Black race, until this article.Iam not a supporter of violence of any kind, be it terrorism,stirring up violence against our perceived enemies(LIBYA,SYRIA,ETC) or playing people to kill each other,while we sit back and enjoy the show.But Iam also not a supporter of anybody,group or entity who sadistically enjoy insulting and provoking others, as if it`s the only way to prove their manhood.It was disheartening to see some African leaders in Paris linking hands to condemn the killing of twelve white men and completely ignored the killing of two thousand black lives in Baga!!!!.Where are the so -called ECOWAS , AFRICAN UNION “leaders”? I was even surprised that Goodluck JONATHAN did not fly to Paris to link hands!!!!!.Our ruling class, the so-called elites,would forever hang on the dishievelled wings of the white man.No wonder they always assume in all their dealings with us that black people are brainless!!!!.If our so-called educated “elites” act like nonentities, are we doomed????!!!!!!!!!!>

33. Author Unknown

January 16, 2015 at 5:35 am

Nigerians must not be left behind in social media trending issues. Never wanting to carry last, but always carrying last. You’ll be surprised how many have no idea what the whole Je suis Charlie is all about, or where Ferguson, Missouri is. At the end of the day, it’s the duty of a government to be responsible for the security of its nation, and not necessarily in response to any social media trend. #jesuischarlie did not spur the French government to swing into action and take out the guys who committed the terror act. So why expect #bringbackourgirls to when our government is aware of the kidnappings and other atrocities going on? Nigerians need to understand that in a democracy, they have a voice. The strongest voice being your ability to vote out underperforming elected officials…not twitter.

34. spoonfullofsugar

January 16, 2015 at 8:50 am

Nigerian elite as usual like to ”form”. People will rather live in the reality of what is on social media and on E than what is in the reality of their day to day lives. Thats why there’s more empathy for France.

35. Call me slow perhaps…

January 16, 2015 at 10:01 am

but if the cover depicts pregnant girls/women with a caption saying “don’t touch our welfare allocations”, how could it possibly even be about the Chibok girls?!!! Are we ever going to employ critical thinking in this country sha?!!!

36. Ch!dinma

January 16, 2015 at 11:34 am

This is a thought provoking article. I don’t support violence of any kind or for any race. While that is being said, charity begins at home! If we don’t stand for ourselves, the world leaders won’t do it for us. As we show empathy to other nations and unite to fight terrorism, we shouldn’t neglect our motherland. We should vote out incompetence, incite, shout, scream, speak out and do all we can to make sure that peace and security prevails in our nation. When the world sees our passion and commitment to our own, ONLY then would they be willing to lend a helping hand.

PS: Nice article bae! So proud of you.

37. First Steps

January 16, 2015 at 2:52 pm

So I was about to write a long epistle of my thoughts on the article.. then I read the comments below and saw others beat me to it. So reiterating….. I fully understand we all have our different opinions on issues and yes we have the right to voice out these opinions in whichever manner we deem fit. The article does make some valid points however, the cover paper depicting the Chibok girls was suppose to be a means of voicing out, I don’t think it was meant to degrade them in anyway.

Secondly, For some of us the problem we deal with ISN’T whether to get a pair of shoe. You did be shocked there are many young Nigerians who care…. I use my social media platforms to discuss on these serious issues. I tweet about Chibok, I tweet about Baga… I tweet about the incapabilities of the Nigerian Army Force due to lack of weapons and low morale.

Please do not generalize our Nigerian leaders’ in ability to act as appropriate as the disposition of every Nigerian. That’s not a fair judgement. When we are “too busy been baga and Chibok” statements like that “kindof” connotes we are too busy quenching the fire in our background so we have no time for yours… that seems selfish in my opinion. Terrorism is a global problem.. all countries need to fight together. Now both Nigerians and the French can learn a thing or two in a concerted effort to fight against this nemesis…. I am a christian but still I wouldn’t condone diminishing any religion in the name of freedom of speech.

So yes as much I am Charlie hebdo….. I still remain Chibok…. I Remain Baga… and most definitely I remain Nigerian!

38. The Buttery Hotnesss

January 17, 2015 at 5:40 pm

Just what I have been saying to anyone who cares to listen. When will we march for ourselves? Fight for our own? We have really become so insensitive to the horror that is becoming Nigeria and it hurts. Our brothers and sisters are wailing, mourning, hurting, and we’d rather be Charlie Hebdo. We’d rather not be Baga…or Chibok. See, these Westerners, they don’t really care about us, not even in the least bit.
    #iAmBaga #iAmChibok #iAmNorthernNigeria #iAmNigeria

God bless you for this article. You are awesome.