Features

Atoke’s Monday Morning Banter: Round & Wholesome, Not Fat

This thing about being super short is a problem – no really… it is! For starters, you have height restrictions in certain places, like theme parks and you find yourself saying a small prayer that you’d be allowed on. So, on Valentine’s day, my cousin and I decided to spend the day at the Happiest Place on Earth. As we approached one of the rides, the guy in front of us (with his girlfriend and their annoying matching Mickey and Minnie Mouse T-shirts) decided to crack a joke.

“Aren’t you a little too short to go on this one? You might wanna sit it out.” I laughed and pointed at a kid in front of us who had just gone through the barriers. “If he can go on, so can I!”

My cousin wasn’t very cheery at the man’s comment! You’re not really supposed to say people are short though”

Ah! I was used to the comments about this height business so it wasn’t really a big deal. However, we launched into this conversation about the issue of political correctness. Some months ago, there was something in the news about how it was politically incorrect to call someone short. In fact, shortness was likened to a disability and as such it is just wrong to call someone short.

The issue of political correctness is not something we can honestly say Nigerians are well versed in. We are a people who think it is okay to comment on a person’s weight after 3 seconds of seeing them. Commenting on a person’s big stomach and making allusions as to whether a person is pregnant is commonplace in Nigeria. The idea of censoring things you say just so you don’t offend the person you’re talking to is foreign… very much like the concept of personal space. But, I don’t want to digress, so let’s not go into the ills of someone thinking it’s okay to snap the strap of my bra in church.

Anyway, so things like race, sexual orientation, level of education are squarely in the sphere of things you have to be careful about. You can’t really call a person ‘retarded’ if they’re acting incredibly stupid. It’s just not done. Isaiah Washington lost his job on Greys Anatomy because he mentioned that a fellow cast member was gay. Actually, he called him a ‘faggot’! And boom…. He was gone. You don’t mess with such things in America.

With the influx of many repatriates, and the attending culture swap, Nigerians are slowly imbibing the culture of political correctness. For all its good parts, one wonders where the line is drawn between stating things factually, and just sugar coating stuff to make it easily digestible for the person you’re saying it to.
I mean, there’s no other way to describe a girl who is 4’11”. Short is short is short. It’s not being vertically challenged, or none of that left-winged way of expressing it. It’s simply… short!

My cousin argued that I was looking at the topic very simplistically. If the word was said in an offensive way, would I have taken it as casually as I did? If the guy in front of us on the line had said,“Move away from there you short woman devil!” would I have thought the word ‘Short’ wasn’t offensive?
So, it seems there might be a distinction in how the offensive word is used. For instance, will an offensive word ‘fat’ be accepted easily if it’s said with a positive-ish connotation: “You look good and healthy oh! Your husband is really taking care of you. See how fat you’ve become in just three months. Enjoyment mama, the mama!”
Or, “Oh, which of the boys is your son? Is it that cute handicapped one? You’re really brave for bringing him to the party with you”

Maybe it is not really the words said… maybe it’s HOW it’s being said.

Atoke CheeriosThen, there’s also the fact that, behind our efforts at being apparently politically correct, we don’t actually mean what we’re saying audibly. So with one breath we’re saying “That guy isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed”, but our actions, body language and everything else is actually saying “Dude is simply a retard!”

When DBanj released a song titled ‘Feeling the Nigga’, there were the right amount of asterisk signs to show that he was conscious that certain people would be offended by the N-word! I don’t know how he could have sung the letters N-I-G-G-A with asterisks; I’m not even sure anybody has any doubts about the word.

But here’s the thing, has our sensitivity level to everything dropped? just because we’re progressives? Or are we just trying to get people to not be so openly mean?
Is it our responsibility to go out of our way to make sure we don’t offend people with our words? Or is it the responsibility of people who hear what we say, to choose to filter how they receive information?

In all of this, there’s no belittling the importance of what one says or communicates – especially in the age of social media. CNN’s Rick Sanchez got fired for calling Jon Stewart a bigot. Whether this muzzle encourages ‘eye service’ or not, it is something that is really worth exploring. For all its pros and cons, political correctness seems to be here to stay, for as long as I’m a short girl.

Have a beautiful week. Please be nice to people… honestly, just try. You don’t want to say something to someone who is just barely keeping everything together and have him/her just snap.

Oh, don’t forget to tell us what you think should be said in a political correct manner, and what things you think just border on absurdity. Have you ever been corrected for not being politically correct? Do you think Nigerians need to take some of these social interaction tips more seriously?

Peace, love & celery sticks (I hated celery before but these days, the punch in those babies are giving me life!)

Toodles!

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Photographerlondon

1. Nike

February 16, 2015 at 10:39 am

I am short like you Atoke so I know first hand how much of a problem being short is. I don’t know if it is just a matter of political correctness or the fact that most Nigerians don’t have filters. You tell people at work you’re ill and they ask you outright the nature of the illness not considering how uncomfortable the question is. I have a friend at work who is so voluptuous that no matter what she wears she is constantly under scrutiny. The women keep pulling up her camisoles without her permission and the men make inappropriate comments about her body.

Sincerely from my own experience some topics should be avoided as no matter the sugar coating and intent addressing them remain hurtful. Why couldn’t the nosy guy mind his business? After all, if you were too short to get on the ride the operator would have told when you got to the front of the line.

I have learnt the hard way to mind my business and over the years have picked up politically correct terms and phrases.

2. Neo

February 16, 2015 at 10:54 am

Personally i think on this issue these oyinbo people own too much, the goal post shifts so far and so often we don’t even know what to say again, Negro became offensive, coloured became offensive, black we are not too sure of. African? African-American? We’re not even sure we can say a white person has “natural” hair. Even black (sorry African and African-American and African-Brits and gbogbo e) relaxed and afrolistas fight about who has “natural” hair. I can’t keep up!

As for Nigerians our issue is not political correctness but lack of boundaries in the strictest sense. No topic of a stranger’s life is out of bounds. I’ve got them all ranging from “This your Agbani is too much oh, are you sure you don’t stick your hand up your throat after you eat?” Imagine asking an American outright if she’s bulimic. Na for CNN we go hear your case.

“You need to gain weight oh, African men don’t like thin girls like you”. Yay for my esteem, I may as well jump into Jabi lake in view of my impending husbandlessness since i can’t grow past my size 8.

Oh this one is classic, a guy at work told my friend to tell me he likes my “cups’ ( I didn’t even know that was a thing oh) Im supposed to jump up in happiness that a man likes my breasts? Oh and i went swimming with friends and one of them made a comment about my modest 32E’s keeping me afloat and one random man whom i know not from Adam felt it was fine to keep making comments about my breasts from then on.

• Enn!

February 16, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Lool @ ur boobs keeping u afloat, that’s so stupid…by d way size 8 is a very healthy, anoda problem our people has is the mentality that u have to be fat to classify as healthy/u’re enjoying

• MC

February 16, 2015 at 4:33 pm

african-Brits….yeah thats just “black”
      never understood why (african) American’s have an issue with “black”

….actaully, as I typed that i think the answer just came to me.
      Most Black people in Britain know their rootsI’m yet to hear of a black British person that doesn’t know where they originate from. Most are 1st or 2nd generation British so we refer to ourselves by ethnicity if wanting to describe.
      But I guess (most) African-Americans can’t do that. And calling them ‘black” is taking anyway any form of identity.
      Awwww bless ’em

3. mimi

February 16, 2015 at 11:49 am

So I offended a friend of mine who is a single mum last week. She put up a picture of her son who’s about 10-11 or so and he looked so cute and adorable! I gushed in my normal way and typed: ‘such a cute puppy!’ Come and see how babe flipped! That I’m calling her son created in the image of God an animal. I tried to explain to her that it’s only a metaphorical statement and that it’s meant to be a compliment. Normally when I see cute children or people whom I find adorable, I call them bunny, teddy, puppy, kitten, doll, etc. But she got even more offended and told me my own son is a handsome goat (btw I don’t have kids). I quickly apologized and took back my statement. I tried to call her to apologize over the phone, but she kept cutting the call.

I was surprised at her outburst but I tried to understand. As a mum she was trying to protect her son, and some people generally more sensitive than others. I have a male friend whom I call puppy because I find him adorable, and he loves it! My colleague calls people she adores Baby Monkey, This is actually the first time I ever got an outburst for calling someone what I considered a pet name. So please guys, do you think I took it too far (politically incorrect), or is the mum overreacting?

• Blackbeauty

February 16, 2015 at 12:30 pm

I am literally rolling on the floor in laughter. Handsome goat? Now that’s original. It didnt come from a malicious place but she obviously didnt get it. A friend of mine adds the suffix bunny to my name every time she call me and i don’t mind. different strokes though.

• Enn!

February 16, 2015 at 12:32 pm

baby monkey tho…..can’t see how that’s supposed to be cute

• Mz Socially Awkward...

February 16, 2015 at 3:29 pm

I fondly call my friend’s baby “anu-bunny”. Always just assumed that it would be taken as the cute endearment which it’s intended to be but after reading your comment, I no dey sure again… “Perraps” I should confer with the mother to be sure she no dey secretly vex say I come liken her pikin to a rabbit’s offspring 😐

• nwanyi na aga aga

February 17, 2015 at 4:38 pm

Lol! A friend actually calls me baby rabbit and I return the sentiment by calling her mother rabbit and we take it as an endearment since we share an affinity for the love of carrots. Looool! I have another male friend that calls me bunny and proceeds to call himself daddy rabbit..to us na endearment o.. e be like say I will look into the act of answering to the offspring of a rabbit matter..Looool! chai! Nigerians need a chill pill shaa, But baby Monkey matter abeg no come call me Monkey shaa, e get as e be..Lol!

• MC

February 16, 2015 at 4:41 pm

Mum is entitled to feel any how she feels….personally I think you said nothing wrong.
      However, mum is certainly over reacting. You’ve apologised, you tried calling. damn!

• blueberry

February 22, 2015 at 10:05 am

LOL…This comment just cracked my ribs up.I needed a good laugh and this one sure did it for me.

• Eve

February 25, 2015 at 3:09 pm

I personally think the mum over reacted, but then again, like u rightly pointed out, some pple are very sensitive to certain statements and perhaps she’s not used to or never around pple who call each other such pet names. My friends husband calls her “my monkey” at first I found it very weird, but she loves it so much that I have joined in calling her that too which always leaves her blushing so much. Hope she understands and forgives you sha.

4. TA

February 16, 2015 at 12:04 pm

Personally if I am overweight and you call me fat. I take no offense,I nor go vex at all abeg . If I am not tall and you describe me as short, well I am short! But, I know how super sensitive people are these days, so if you are not a relative or my very close friend I won’t comment on your physical appearance. Like Atoke pointed out, the context plays a big role sometimes. If you are not quarreling or being abusive, some persons might not be offended at how you describe them. I guess context plays a big role. Me sha, I like to play safe and avoid certain words that might cause offense, beyond plain offense, some people are on the verge of depression or might be fighting other demons so stating your observations might just make make things worse for them. So, my goal is to be kind with my words.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

February 16, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Okay, so we were having a discussion about this at work (during a coffee break, where all the grand problems in our society are often resolved) and we enquired amongst ourselves about why it’s okay to say to someone, “You look so much thinner these days, you’ve lost some weight!” but it’s not okay to say “You look so much fatter these days…!”. The genesis of this discussion stemmed from someone in the team jokingly calling another team member “a skinny li’l thing” and some listeners felt that using the words “skinny” might cause self esteem issues.

Nne, I tire for political correctness. An oyibo chick once admitted out loud in one of such coffee meetings that she had skin envy (because I’m a well-tanned version of herself and can get away with wearing certain colours of lipstick) and then started apologising profusely that she didn’t mean to cause offense. I said, shuo? What is the offence? That I’m darker than you? Isn’t that one just a fact? Another time, my ex-manager watched the BBC programme “Blood and Oil” (don’t know how many of you saw the fictional series which was themed on militancy/kidnapping in the Niger Delta) and then approached me to ask if it was based real events because he found some of it quite barbaric. That very afternoon, he called me to his office to apologise for using the word “barbaric”. Again, I said, shuo? If the were barbaric acts committed by militants, what have you said that was wrong? When I watch “Benefit Street” on Channel 4, should I apologise to Brits for calling certain of their brethren “spongers”?

Some facts are just that – facts. Although, and saying that, I have had issues with our Operations manager who was complaining to his team, within earshot of everyone else, about how the Naija High Commission were insisting on bank account statements being provided for work visa applicants and how he wasn’t sure that details of the account won’t be sent to an “African Prince” for scamming purposes. I sharply told him to please watch his words, as a Nigerian happened to be in the room with him and trust oyibo, he come do like say he no hear, come waka comot but that was the end of that. No be everything person need to open mouth talk, abeg.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

February 16, 2015 at 3:53 pm

*if there were*

5. nammy

February 16, 2015 at 12:17 pm

a short or fat person, I won’t just say-hey! U r short or fat, but if something calls for it il let d person know e.g-if he cannot go through a door il point out to him that it’s because he is fat. If someone puts up a pic and it is not fine, and everyone is saying ‘aww, beautiful! ‘ il say it’s not fyn, if it’s a site that blocks u wen u comment negatively, then il rather keep quiet

6. Que

February 16, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Hmmm…Political correctness of life….it bores me to no end tbh, especially ridiculous ones like o ‘you’re big boned/wholesome/fleshly/curvy for someone who’s fat is literally pouring through their pores…. just keep quiet and keep moving if you’re not in a position to have a conversation that includes/excludes their weight…. I get the need for it on certain issues, but it can easily get ridiculous…for instance our room of friends laughed when one of my mixed race anglo-asian friend cried ‘racism’ when another friend described her eyes as ‘typical chinese type’ … I tot na wa o, but ur mama’s chinese though..!

Nigerian carelessnes sha….makes for interesting aftertales…but it sure is irritating when it happens., lThis one time an ex introduced me to his aunt who promptly went ‘…ah this one big for you o…’ right to our faces after saying hello…. its certainly a love/hate relationship with our blunt ways…. but I take that over all this over coated nonsense political correctness… I’d rather know what I am up for/against, than live with the assumption that all is well only to have it come back around to bite me in my round behind!

I am largely blunt with people I know/love and who know me, so we understand our intentions when we give it to each other…for instance in my family we say you are FAT and never substitue it for anything, other than the medical alternatives such as obese and morbidly obese…. if you dont like it…hit the gym and stop eating too much banga soup! In the same vain, we’re open/blunt enough about the challenges of each percieved short coming to the point where we can empathise and encourage each other…. so yes some days are good, some days are bad, and so life goes!….. as a result especially on the weight issue, many of us get on healthy plans, kick off some lbs, the others see the change and follow suit….if one drops off the wagon, there is always one example to point to for encouragement….and so the cycle goes. Same treatment goes for other areas with their own percieved short comings… you can expect that if you are irresponsible with money or just lazy about life there will be someone in my family to give it to you point blank…no time!

With strangers/acquaintances I apply caution or observe them first to know what category of people they are before I submit any opinions… Talking of the personal space one you mentioned, if its cases like a lady needing some wardrobe malfunction handled in public, I get close enough to whisper the issue in her ear and if she feels concerned she can handle it or give me go ahead to help her…if not I ‘keeps’ it moving men! I certainly understand the irritation of some stranger just randomly fumbling with your bra strap or attempting to pull up your low-rise demin, in public, without any heads up…. I dont give myself too much wahala over another person’s obviously deliberate choice….if its not to my taste, I comot my eye.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

February 16, 2015 at 4:04 pm

(It seems today is one of those comment-response days)

Re your last paragraph, someone I know once disclosed her own reaction to receiving this kind of “help” and even though she didn’t realize it, I left that conversation resolving to be more hesitant about helping strangers with their wardrobe malfunctions. She was walking along the road one day and an oyibo woman walked up from behind to let her know that the price sticker (you know the ones that are stuck to the bottom of your shoe) was still on her shoes. Well, she flipped right out because she felt it wasn’t anyone’s business to be noticing the price sticker under her shoe… Hian.

I no fit lie, after I heard that, I’ve resolved to be more cautious about helping others with perceived “waldrobe” malfunctions, unless I don study you well, come decide say e no go cause quarrel…

7. cleo

February 16, 2015 at 1:45 pm

Political correctness and Nigerians is an ambiguous tale. Cos 1 Nigerians are too damn nosy.

8. D

February 16, 2015 at 2:16 pm

I have been an offender in this case and recently I have found myself being and offendee as well. When I first moved to the US, I made a mistake of referring to somebody has fat, mind you all my friends were Caucasians born and raised in the US of A…sho if you see the look, I was totally confused as to what can fa??? “it is not rude” I argued, “it is just a fact just like saying the sky is blue” Fast forward to a decade later, and I find many comments from Nigerians to be intrusive and offensive. With time I have come to understand how derogatory some words can sound, I would never allude to ones weight, age, race or sexuality in anyway shape or form especially strangers. I have come to realize that such topics are considered very sensitive and as such just try to stay away from offending anyone. I have a friend who is of mixed race (baba is caucasian and mama is of African-american descent) but she associate more with her mum’s side if anyone insinuates that she is light skinned which she is,, gey’s will be vexing, so I just don’t talk about things like that until you have made it known to me what you want to be known as. I am not of great height either but I want say I am short at least for a lady. What some might call short, I find “petite” to be a more acceptable term. It’s just like saying a house is quaint…it is just a nice way of saying the house is small…Instead of saying people are weird when in public I say they have unique traits…heyyy we all do.

9. Bobosteke & Lara Bian

February 16, 2015 at 2:48 pm

My niece innocently asked, “Aunty Bobo, why did your tooth remove and not grow back?”

I happen to have a fairly wide diastema between my two front upper teeth; enough to prompt my niece to assume a tooth fell out. The space is not only wide, but the ridge (I think) is also distended.

I have taken my appearance for so long “as is” until the day I followed my friend to a dental hospital in VI and the Syrian doctor took one look at my mouth and was in teeth fixing heaven; showing me slide after slide of older women who wore braces and got their mouths refitted for a “small” fee of N450k. I laughed and made non committal comments but on the drive back home, I could not help but think of the compliments and ridicule I had received over the years on them.

I think the problem with describing people or drawing attention to a certain aspect of their appearance is that it has a tendency to degenerate into something else, particularly when the person in question feels insecure in that area already.. We are born needing affirmation, especially from others. the trick is learning not make it our credo. If you don’t agree, tell me you don’t feel grand and light up from within when someone pays you a compliment on your appearance or a job well done.

Atoke describes herself as short. Someone else could her abbreviated. I have buck teeth; it has been described as “iyana express”. My sister is as thin as a rail. My 4 year old niece after some deep contemplation declared that hers was bigger.
    What could be a mere observation today, could become the butt of a joke and then an object for ridicule later.

10. Bobosteke & Lara Bian

February 16, 2015 at 2:53 pm

* My sister is as thin as a rail. My 4 year old niece after some deep “bum bum” contemplation declared hers was bigger.

11. nikky

February 16, 2015 at 4:05 pm

With regards to sexual orientation the word Faggot is derogatory, but it’s acceptable to use among people in that community who know each other. The same goes for the N-word. Using words like fat, tall, dark, natural hair, are just ways of describing a person’s feature. The problem comes when you have no form of familiarity with someone and talk to them about their features. I don’t even think it’s about political correctness, it’s just common sense, you don’t just tell someone ‘na wa o you are short, too tall, too skinny’ etc. This can happen without wahala if you know the person and know they are not sensitive about the said feature.

12. Jagbajantis

February 16, 2015 at 4:54 pm

Na today? I remember growing up, people used to utter hurtful statements about one’s physical stature – some of it naïve, but most of it is calculated to humiliate or provoke a reaction.

I remember going to Tejuosho market with my cousin who is orobo with a figure like a ogogoro keg. Traders would catcall “Fatty-bum bum! Milk factory! Obrokoto Nigerian rubber!”
    Trying on a pair of palazzo pants, one trader even offered his unsolicited opinion “ Chei, aunty, even if you divide yourself into 3, this trouser no go enter you. See as your lap resemble turkey leg.” My cousin was close to tears.

I revenged for my cousin by nicking the trader’s measuring tape and plastic fan when he was not looking. Looking back now, I should have used the tape to give him a good whipping.

And that is how I have learned these days to deal with verbal body blows. I either swallow it and accept it as banter, or I react with savage fury. I learn that from my cousin, who does not suffer fools gladly.

Like one time, when my cousin walked into class, and someone announced “Oh here comes short-engine” referring to his height. My cousin is as short as Serakus. He was used to people calling him names like Short Engine or Short-Cake.

My cousin laughed and replied with an insult to the person who had a chronic case of halitosis which he seemed not to be aware of “Thank you soak-away mouth. See as your teeth dey brown like roasted corn”

Everybody laughed.

13. anon

February 16, 2015 at 6:09 pm

@Atoke..how does one delete comments made by mistake on this site?

14. Chinco

February 16, 2015 at 9:10 pm

Im not nearly as bothered about my 5ft 2′ as every other tall or slightly taller person is, but thats story for another day. I think people can even be meaner by what they are trying not to say out loud like the funny examples you gave about stylishly saying someone is fat, lol uyou are a funny one.

15. phey

February 16, 2015 at 9:38 pm

omg……i am actually rolling on the floor with tears streaming down my face. Your comment is so hillarious.

16. tunmi

February 16, 2015 at 10:36 pm

With political correctness, I let the particular person or that particular group determine what is acceptable. For example with black Americans na dem I go look to to determine how to call them, and even then it’s an individual thing. So far in what I have observed, na one person outside said group that decides “oh you can’t call them that.”

Me, I am short. S-H-O-R-T. I truly hate it when people hide behind political correctness. Short is short, ki lo wan’be? Frankly, I’d rather take bluntness that walking on eggshells, fun kini?

This also reminds me of half-caste. In Naija, it’s not an insult but you go to US and England, na insult. So context is necessary too. I actually have a friend who gets upset when I call him mixed, bros how else do I pay homage to the both sides of you. Your mum is white American and your dad is Nigerian, but the connotation of that word has different meaning elsewhere.

17. anjiesmum

February 17, 2015 at 12:57 am

I am very sensitive about my weight and in the past i tend to point out my huge tummy, cellulite before people do. i am in a better place now and even if people say things i just brush it off, well except its DH

18. Moyo

February 22, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Hey Atoke, I bought some celery sticks recently but I hate the taste!!! 🙁 I was wondering if you eat them like that or with some accompaniment? Edakun, help a tentatively new fitfam member out. Thanks. 🙂

19. Moyo

February 22, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Hey Atoke, I bought some celery sticks recently but I hate the taste!!! 🙁 I was wondering if you eat them like that or with some accompaniment? Edakun, help a tentatively new fitfam member out. Thanks!

• Atoke

February 22, 2015 at 5:36 pm

I had them in a soup and it wasn’t bad at all. Previously, I had taken a crunch of one – on its own- and it was god awful! But inside the soup it had a certain punch. You can cut it in bits when making your soup.

20. concerned

February 22, 2015 at 4:32 pm

By nature, Africans aren’t very politically correct people. It is just amazing when people who don’t know you can just stop you in the streets and say “you should jog every morning” or “stop eating so much red meat”, Um, excuse me! Do you know me to know what I eat and what I don’t? If you did, you’d know I was allergic to red meat. Me, I won’t lie oo: there are times when I’ve thrown decorum and caution to the wind and given it to the person well well in public. Haba! Being plus sized doesn’t make you automatically unhealthy but you’d be shocked how many people will give you a “diagnosis” when they hardly know you or your habits. And it is not just about weight: height, color, hair, disabilities, just about everything! Personally, if we’d all just mind our own businesses our world would be a better place.

21. Exotique

March 13, 2015 at 5:42 pm

I wear glasses, and before I got my contacts my lenses were quite thick. So this man comes to see my neighbor then in school and upon informing him of his absence, he inquired as to why I wore glasses and went on to advise me to eat a balanced diet consisting of carrot and pawpaw!!! Needless to say I was pissed off by his unsolicited advice and ignorance.
    Most people are already self conscious about body ‘flaws’, and do not need extra reminders. If you like the sound of the voice however, at least do some research!!!!!