Features

Suhaib Mohammed: 3 Reasons Why Nigeria Must Change in 2015

When democracy was born in Abuja, on the 29th May of 1999, the flames of hope and freedom ignited in the heart of Nigerians like a blue flame of fire in a galactic firework.

For the first time, since our independence from the British, the Nigerian people were excited to witness a new government – a government of, by, and for the people. Initially, the promises made by the first premier of this government, Olusegun Obasanjo, were simple: to build a new nation of hope and restore the Nigerian dream.

But, after his two terms came to an end, the leader unmasked his dictatorial face. He moved to maneuver the constitution to stay in power for the third term, and that’s where everything started to get dirty. Since then, that flare of hope that illuminates the heart of Nigerians went off.

Sixteen years ago, Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), the party that lunched the democratic government in Nigeria, is still the ruling party. Unfortunately, it has nothing to show to the Nigerian people. PDP, or as Bola Tinubu rightly calls it, “People Destroying People,” killed the Nigerian dream, shattered away all our hopes, and turn our country into a ghetto-like nation because of mismanagement, because of greed, and because of selfish interest.

Since we – the people – are the makers of the leaders, we can send them out of Abuja this time, and choose credible ones to restore our dreams.

2015 seems to be the defining moment for us. It will surely mark a shift in the thinking, the voting, and the actions of the already frustrated and aggressive-minded Nigerian. Here are three big reasons why things must change in 2015:

Nigeria is Falling
The cardinal institutions of the state and its means of production were at a steady pace before now. People could eat and pray and party without cowering in fear of not getting paid the next month, or getting bombed the next hour. Not anymore today. And that’s really, really bad news for Nigerians.

The most populous country in Africa, one of the earth’s biggest producers of oil has become one of the earth’s worst places to live. Today, Nigeria, under President Jonathan, is experiencing the worst moment in its life. People are ripped and raped by their government like some useless whores in ancient Greece.

Cruel and corruptive leadership style, like the removal of oil subsidy, which ripped the common Nigerian in the coastal city of Lagos and desert town of Sokoto to pay more for the crimes of well-known cabals, has heightened the prices of petroleum products causing the common Nigerians to starve as the “Jonathanians” raise bottles in Abuja.

And with the incessant spate of bombings and kidnappings, which started in the north and reached the heart of the capital, a new wave of confusion emerged in the entire country, cutting all the roots that bind Nigeria as one single entity. Things just have to change in 2015!

Already, all Nigerians have become progressives. There’s no other option. So, come February, no bullet, no cabal, no bunch of money can stop the strong-willed Nigerian from stalking the claim of their choice.

PDP Can’t Do the Job
Right from the first democratic regime in 1999, we have seen a deficit in leadership, the inability or incompetence of getting things done. With the ascension of Jonathan to power that leadership deficit has only increased in size, shape, and scope; the existing crises multiplied: Jobs are gone. Hopes are dashed. Lives are lost.

Not only that the PDP can’t do the job, the cult is the leading cause of all the terrible problems that happened to this country. From stealing public funds to enriching family members and loyalists to promoting corruption – these are what PDP does. What a terrible party!

And there is their indifference to matters of serious concern; for instance: pardoning criminals, travelling with looters, speaking terrible English on national  TV … The sacking of truth tellers, the dancing after a bomb blast, the President saying that stealing is not corruption, the ceding the entire region to terrorists, the death sentence serving in lieu of good weapons, the not bringing back our girls … all these crimes are biting and burning inside the electorate’s heart, and its irresistible heat is what will force them to do things differently in 2015. Time will tell!

It is Time to Act
While in UAE, I met with my fellow Nigerian, Onitilo- an accountant graduate from Osun State. The not-so-young Onitilo left Nigeria with his family for Dubai, after he had tried securing a job for countless number of times.

“My wife is a house girl. She’s babysitting and washing the dishes of the foreigners,” he told me with his eyes full of tears. “Had my government provided a job for me, I wouldn’t be here disgracing myself and my family.”

The horrendous thing to note here is that this is just Onitilo’s story. There are millions like him scrambling in despair and destitution both here at home (like the terrified men and women and children from Bama, Baga, Damboa, Gwoza, Damaturu, and Mubi) and in other countries around the world.

Yet…we do nothing.

Our elites in the cities are best at buying papers and reading horrible headlines, such as “Jonathan Singing and Dancing in Kano While Nigerians Mourn,” but still keep their rear end on sofas cowering in fear and in diffidence like some cripple folks. In villages, our youths are keen at sitting on broken wooden chairs and torn mats playing card game and praying for things to “be well.”

Well, the bitter truth is that prayers alone don’t work. The real truth is that if we want the system to change, we must stand up and fight for change. Already, we’re running out of time. Now is the time to start digging our way out of this mess!

The upcoming general election is the defining moment for you and me to finally witness that brighter life we have long been craving for: peace and security, quality, affordable healthcare, 24 hour electricity, employment opportunities, falling prices of goods and services, spending power for food, family, and travel …

This year, this February, there must be change. We must vote the credible candidate to transform our lives, or keep the clueless regime to kill our souls.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Dennis Owusu-ansah

Suhaib Mohammed is a freelance writer and digital marketer. His website SuhaibMohammed teaches the art of writing compelling content that builds businesses. Wanna power your business with compelling content? Hire him now. You can also follow him on Twitter.

1. bruno

February 2, 2015 at 3:27 pm

by their names you shall know them.

the writer of this article is so pretentious.
    – YOU.

instead of writting all this jargons. you could have simply said. “VOTE FOR BUHARI” . That would have saved my time.

I have one question for you, who is in charge of boko haram? he’s name starts with B
    why isn’t the so called change (buhari) participating in the presidential debate this coming sunday? debates are a chance to show us what he would do for us if he eneters office. nonsense.

whether pdp or apc wins this coming election, we nigerians are still doomed.

APC-ASSOCIATION of PAST CRIMINALS
    PDP-PEOPLE DECIEVING PEOPLE.
    chose one.

• Ada Nnewi

February 2, 2015 at 5:57 pm

Bruno you’re a religious and tribal bigot yet you cry wolf when people express disdain for gays and you on the other hand hate everyone including yourself…You have serious issues…

• Mohammad

February 2, 2015 at 10:51 pm

It’s hard to take an article that cannot state some basic facts seriously. Democracy born in 1999? What about the first and second Nigerian republics? Nnamdi Azikwe, Shehu Shagari? And finally, the Nigerian government does not have a premier. We had premiers and a prime minister up until 1966, but none since.

2. omolara

February 2, 2015 at 3:27 pm

My opinion this writeup is too sentimental. All politicians are the same

• ola

February 2, 2015 at 6:18 pm

if you continue to say they are the same when will there be change?

3. Brown

February 2, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Very biased write-up. There’s no good party.

4. Ade

February 2, 2015 at 4:06 pm

Although I agree that we desperately need to vote out PDP in the next elections, I believe that anyone who does this believing that all the problems of Nigeria would miraculously disappear in 4 years is in for a rude shock. Unfortunately, I do not have a vote in the upcoming elections but if I had one, I will cast it for the APC anyway. I hope they’ll suprise me in 4 years but I’ll be doing that primarily to send a message to the PDP. When you fail, you shouldnt be rewarded. In 4 years time, if APC hasnt shown us it has the answers to our problems, then God willing lets kick them out of office. Seempleesss. (Apologies to Alexander)

5. Busarni

February 2, 2015 at 4:14 pm

You just insulted my sense of reasoning by quoting Tinubu. Seriously, you are entitled to your opinion; while i agree with you what i find amazing is the suppose change you are offering me. Old wine in new bottle is same wine; we are caught between the devil and the deep blue sea. Accept it, young man. The change you offer is not an option, instead of you to be objective as a freelance writer (so you claimed) ; you ended up sounding partisan.

6. Confuzzled

February 2, 2015 at 4:42 pm

Anyone that thinks APC is change is naive at best. FYI many APC members were card carrying members of PDP. I’ll wager they decamped because they weren’t getting as much access to the national cake as they’d expected.

What is the coherent path towards change that APC has proposed? Other than they are not GEJ, what else is their selling point? What is their practical economic plan for the country? Let’s not be sentimental about this. The cold hard fact we must come to terms with is that APC has nothing to offer other than the fact that they are not Jonathan. What has Buhari done for Nigeria since he left his position as PTF chairman over 20 years ago? Aside from running for president every 4 years what has he done to give us an inclination of his future performance? If we are to take his hard line approach to leadership as exhibited in his mere 20 months as military ruler over 30 years ago, I’m not exactly excited at the prospect of having him as my president in this 21st century.

This author has taken you and me for fools. No facts to back up his statements. Just rhetoric and recollections of personal experiences. And we’re supposed to take him seriously as a writer? Are empty words the path to change? I am actually offended that BN saw fit to publish this trash for readers consumption. Ridiculous.

Its OK to vote for whomever you like, and for whatever reason you like, but don’t try to foist your beliefs on others without coming loaded with facts.

7. chi-e-z

February 2, 2015 at 5:26 pm

Abeg who do this people think they are fooling. PDP/APC is there a difference same useless thieves and arrogrant greedy manipulative useless entities of disgrace to our continent and country. Stupid write-up wasn’t even sweet or easy to follow.

8. @edDREAMZ

February 2, 2015 at 5:53 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Sai buhari….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

9. ola

February 2, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Nigerians always saying politicians are the same and not always wanting to try something new,if you don’t try something new how would there be change?

I live in France,when people got tired of Sarkozy they voted him out and he could not win the second term,Francois Hollande came in and people are tired of him too and he will surely loose in the coming elections and will be replaced by another person,why cant Nigeria do same and vote out whoever that’s not performing

10. concerned

February 2, 2015 at 8:03 pm

Until about a month or two ago, I was ready and willing to give Jona another chance. Hell, I even stuck my neck out and campaigned for him here on BN. However, his utterances and the utterances of the people around him and the fact that close to election, he still did not have a pragmatic solution to our numerous problems made me lose hope in him.
    A leopard doesn’t change its spots. It applies to GEJ and it applies to Buhari. Human rights abuses and rampant corruption were the order of the day in the early eighties when Buhari was president. You seriously think that democracy will make a difference in 2015? Yeah freaking right!
    I am sick to my stomach as I conclude that nothing will get better. As at this point, none of these people can give Nigeria what she truly needs. After February 2014 when Buhari has won the election, it will be business as usual. Buhari might stop Boko Haram but he won’t improve our economic situation. As for GEJ, the least said about him the better. So, go ahead. Feel free to vote for Buhari and bring “change”. Heck, vote for Jonathan, vote for whoever you want. I just hope and pray that for the sake of all of us and of our beautiful country Nigeria, none of the people who are saying “we need change” now will be saying “we need change” in 2019. Because we do need change, but the people promising to change Nigeria are not people who can. Mark my words. As for me, I will be resting peacefully in my house on February 14th praying everything goes on peacefully because NIGERIA is what matters, not Jona, not Buhari, not the APC or the PDP. I will not vote because I refuse to partake in an excersise in futility. Nigeria, I pray for you.

11. bash Nata'ala

February 2, 2015 at 9:38 pm

Yeah we saw it coming! Saying this, that about politics of the present government will only make one to waist his or her time. The truth is one, so many times we have all given this government a chance but yet it did not take us closer to our dreams. Those that are in support of PDP to continue are not in a shoe of the north west people, but I want them to remember that we are all nigerian, we may know the begging of a crisis but we will not know the end of it, that is one. Come to talk of corruption PDD government gave us surplus, looting of public fund is not an offense. Infact it is only this government that will declare White color as Black and will force we nigerian to accept it as black. Come to talk of the PDP campaign rally, any truth teller will tell you that they are guilty and that is why they are short of words in there campaing. We are all seen what exactly is happen in this country which I believe nigerian are not deaf and blind. Truth don’t need any decoration. We need change so that the lives of our sixteen year old children’s, brothers and sisters which are age mate with the PDP ( people destroying party ) will witness CHANGE at list ones in a life time.

12. NNENNE

February 3, 2015 at 12:59 am

The question is not if we need change but who is our change.
    The impression I get from some of the responses here is that some people are happy with what is happening in the north east.
    Boko Haram has been killing every Nigerian not just the north easterners.
    How can we forget the UN bombing and bombing of churches? Please go back to 2010.
    It is distasteful to insinuate that people don’t care about BH’S mass murders today.
    The good thing is that our army is fighting them now.

13. Lady Cate of Nigeria

February 3, 2015 at 9:54 am

Someone said and I quote “Buhari might not be our saviour, but he’s the reset button”. Its obvious that President Jonathan does not have what it takes to move us forward. He has failed Nigerians who believed in and voted for him.
    Buhari’s hard line leadership style is what we need to battle corruption. Someone with the will power to battle corrupt leaders not caring whose ox is gored.
    Buhari’ crushed Maistatine before it became the monster Boko haram has become today. He sure has what it takes to deal with Boko haram and bring it to an end.
    They say he’s not a good economist but he’s got financial discipline and he can employ the best Nigerian economic brains to work for him.
    I don’t expect miracles from Buhari, I don’t even expect 100% implementation s promises, but if he can do 70% of all he is promising, then he has succeeded with an A. Afterall 70% is the score for an A in the university.
    Buhari will not have access to the type of money Jonathan made from oil sales which went as high as $130 per barrel. What does Jonathan have to show for that?
    I’m ready to give Buhari a chance and if he does not perform after 4 years, I ll join other well meaning Nigerians to vote him out. But we are going nowhere with president Jonathan.